PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: Special Father's Day Podcast

AJRitz
05-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone. We're going to record a special Father's Day Podcast, for release on Father's Day. For this podcast, we want EVERYONE'S input. We're going to collect two kinds of stories from our fellow DIS Dads: 1) A story about your own Father; or 2) A story about being a Father to your child - both preferably involving Walt Disney World (or at least Disney in some way). Please keep your stories brief - 60 seconds or less, and it would be great if you could start the story by introducing yourself. We'll edit the stories together, along with a couple of interview pieces (I'm working on a special surprise on that front, but I don't know if it will happen for sure, so I don't want to announce that part yet).

You can participate in either of two ways. You can call (816) 348-3939 and record your message. If you don't have free long distance service, you can just click on the Father's Day Podcast Project link in the right margin on the disdads.com website, and our Google Voice account will call you. In our testing, recording quality was slightly better when the call came in on a wired line vs. a cell phone, but don't let the need to use a cell phone stop you from participating. Our sound magician Josh will make it work.

We're not setting a hard cut-off date for recordings yet, partially because we're not sure how long it will take Josh to put this all together. But please submit your stories as soon as possible - the sooner the better. Thanks in advance for your participation. We think this is going to help us create something really special for Father's Day.

prattpak
05-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey everyone. We're going to record a special Father's Day Podcast, for release on Father's Day. For this podcast, we want EVERYONE'S input. We're going to collect two kinds of stories from our fellow DIS Dads: 1) A story about your own Father; or 2) A story about being a Father to your child - both preferably involving Walt Disney World (or at least Disney in some way). Please keep your stories brief - 60 seconds or less, and it would be great if you could start the story by introducing yourself. We'll edit the stories together, along with a couple of interview pieces (I'm working on a special surprise on that front, but I don't know if it will happen for sure, so I don't want to announce that part yet).

You can participate in either of two ways. You can call (816) 348-3939 and record your message. If you don't have free long distance service, you can just click on the Father's Day Podcast Project link in the right margin on the disdads.com website, and our Google Voice account will call you. In our testing, recording quality was slightly better when the call came in on a wired line vs. a cell phone, but don't let the need to use a cell phone stop you from participating. Our sound magician Josh will make it work.

We're not setting a hard cut-off date for recordings yet, partially because we're not sure how long it will take Josh to put this all together. But please submit your stories as soon as possible - the sooner the better. Thanks in advance for your participation. We think this is going to help us create something really special for Father's Day.

Guys when we were planning this I had goosebumps from the beginning and Ive got them now. This could turn out really cool! Please help us out on this one and Josh and the rest of the podcast crew will try to work the behind the scenes magic. HINT: write out what you want to say, then read it to time it. It is important that we keep to the time of 60 seconds or less. Doesnt sound like a lot of time but it is. This way we dont have to CHOOSE what goes on the podcast and what doesnt. All your messages are equally important to us. Also a ton of you have expressed interest in being ON that podcast as well. We will be contacting you when we get all the ducks in a row.
Aaron thank you sir for making this a reality. This is going to be SWEET!!!!:cool1:

jason4024
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Someone mark the time of this next statement.

I AGREE WITH MARK!

Aaron, this is an awesome idea. If it weren't for our fathers, we wouldnt have become who we are today. I miss my dad dearly each and every day, but know he is always with me. I already wrote mine and had my wife, and mother in tears when I read it to them.

prattpak
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Someone mark the time of this next statement.

I AGREE WITH MARK!
Aaron, this is an awesome idea. If it weren't for our fathers, we wouldnt have become who we are today. I miss my dad dearly each and every day, but know he is always with me. I already wrote mine and had my wife, and mother in tears when I read it to them.

*clutches chest and collaspes*

prattpak
05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
bump :lmao:

AJRitz
05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I just got an Email with preliminary confirmation from our surprise special guest that he will participate in an interview. Now, we just have to work out scheduling. I'm really excited about this podcast, but it's only going to work if people participate! (And don't worry too much about the 60-second limit. Just understand that, if they're too long, we'll have to edit. And we want to include as many of these stories as possible, so keeping it brief keeps us from having a two-hour podcast).

FreezinRafiki
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
For better quality, is it OK if we record locally to an MP3 file, then email it you?

prattpak
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
For better quality, is it OK if we record locally to an MP3 file, then email it you?

YES that will work too. email them to me and I can get them to Josh. prattpak1@gmail.com

theduck619
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys for doing this!! It will be awesome I am sure :thumbsup2

Turkey Lurkey
05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
For frame of reference, a full page of normal sized font, double spaced, is roughly 60 seconds. Read it a few times out loud to get used to how it sounds before your actual recording. Your natural inclination is to rush though it, but the faster you go, you lose enunciation. Take your time and you should do fine. :thumbsup2

I will be submitting something, I just don't know what quite yet! :upsidedow

TL

AJRitz
05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Just bumping this thread up as a reminder. It really will be a HUGE help if people submit their memory recordings sooner rather than later. This is the most technically complex podcast we've put together yet, and we could use the time. This is your chance to share your thoughts about what it really means to be a Dis Dad!

RodBelding
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow this is a great idea! I can't wait to hear it. I'll be contributing, I just need to think of what to say (and hold myself to 60 seconds, I tend to ramble sometimes...)

Turkey Lurkey
05-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Say, could you guys use some fake commercials to give you a break/fill up time on your podcasts? If so, I might be persuaded to throw a few together for you....

TL

AJRitz
05-12-2011, 02:56 PM
While I appreciate the humor value of fake commercials, because the podcast provides real information, often about real commercial products, I'm a little uncomfortable about mixing in parody. I know that WE'RE smart enough to know the difference, but I'm not always sure that the general listening public is . . .

Turkey Lurkey
05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
While I appreciate the humor value of fake commercials, because the podcast provides real information, often about real commercial products, I'm a little uncomfortable about mixing in parody. I know that WE'RE smart enough to know the difference, but I'm not always sure that the general listening public is . . .

I know that feeling all too well. :lmao:

TL

AJRitz
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I know that feeling all too well. :lmao:

TL

I will, however, be keeping this in mind with an eye toward next April Fool's Day . . ..

Rental01
05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I can contribute. I can't say a lot about my dad for reasons that include a lot of beverly and peanut butter, but only from his side, not mine. Second, I don't really know if I have had many "fatherly" things that I can do or say. I've been trying to think of things that I've done with my kids that really stand out as a real "wow" moment but I've never really had one. My kids are fantastic all the way around and I don't know if I've ever had one moment over another that would be noteworthy.

Does that make me a bad dad? Maybe I should ask my wife - she knows me a lot better than I do.

AJRitz
05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I can contribute. I can't say a lot about my dad for reasons that include a lot of beverly and peanut butter, but only from his side, not mine. Second, I don't really know if I have had many "fatherly" things that I can do or say. I've been trying to think of things that I've done with my kids that really stand out as a real "wow" moment but I've never really had one. My kids are fantastic all the way around and I don't know if I've ever had one moment over another that would be noteworthy.

Does that make me a bad dad? Maybe I should ask my wife - she knows me a lot better than I do.

Being a DIS Dad isn't about "Wow" moments. It's about the little things that you do with and for your kids all the time. Also, the ordinary for you may very well be someone else's WOW. For me, as a quick example, my son running up to Stitch and giving him a hug on our last day in the MK was a special moment. He'd been character-shy for the entire week until that moment. We didn't push him, we just let him absorb the situation and conquer the fear himself. And I'll never forget him dashing across Tomorrowland to Stitch.

Rental01
05-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Being a DIS Dad isn't about "Wow" moments. It's about the little things that you do with and for your kids all the time. Also, the ordinary for you may very well be someone else's WOW. For me, as a quick example, my son running up to Stitch and giving him a hug on our last day in the MK was a special moment. He'd been character-shy for the entire week until that moment. We didn't push him, we just let him absorb the situation and conquer the fear himself. And I'll never forget him dashing across Tomorrowland to Stitch.

Ahh- gotcha. I'll check with my wife - she'll probably have something worthwhile.

carlnix30
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Hmmm.. I am a Good father because my father wasn't.. Not 60 seconds.. So I am looking forward to hearing the fathers day podcast!:thumbsup2

prattpak
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Hmmm.. I am a Good father because my father wasn't.. Not 60 seconds.. So I am looking forward to hearing the fathers day podcast!:thumbsup2

Carl, youre obviously a good Father. Look what youve done for you kids with WDW! You can not tell me with all sincerity that youve never had a moment in WDW where you stood back and went "IM A LUCKY GUY"? Heck I have one or ten of those every trip! :rotfl:

Turkey Lurkey
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
YES that will work too. email them to me and I can get them to Josh. prattpak1@gmail.com

Hey, I just sent mine in to you Mark. It's a little long, but I figured you could use it for filler on the short ones. :thumbsup2

TL

prattpak
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey, I just sent mine in to you Mark. It's a little long, but I figured you could use it for filler on the short ones. :thumbsup2

TL

Patrick,
Ill be honest with you sir, you made me a little teary. Well done. This will be a perfect lenght for the podcast.

Turkey Lurkey
05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Aw shucks. :blush:

TL

Turkey Lurkey
05-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Okay, where do I find the podcasts?

TL

afwdwfan
05-19-2011, 08:21 AM
:headache: Son of a Beverly... recorded mine this morning by calling the phone number. Started off good, realized I was recording, lost my place, rambled and went over by probably 15 seconds. If you need to cut me out, that's fine... sorry.:guilty:

AJRitz
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
:headache: Son of a Beverly... recorded mine this morning by calling the phone number. Started off good, realized I was recording, lost my place, rambled and went over by probably 15 seconds. If you need to cut me out, that's fine... sorry.:guilty:

No big deal. The "cut-off" is really more of a target. We'll edit if we need to.

Tell the guys how easy it was to do Andy! We need more submissions. Come on guys. The more participation we get from all of you, the better this podcast will be. Remember, you can talk about your own dad or about being a dad to your own kids.

And the sooner we could get these in, the better. This one is going to take some time to assemble.

AJRitz
05-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, where do I find the podcasts?

TL

If you use iTunes, you can find the podcasts in the iTunes store (they're free). Just do a search in iTunes for "Dis Dads".

If you're not an iTunes user, you can download the podcasts at the Disdads.com website (or even listen to them through the site). This page has all of the episodes and show notes: http://disdads.com/archives/category/episode

Turkey Lurkey
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
If you use iTunes, you can find the podcasts in the iTunes store (they're free). Just do a search in iTunes for "Dis Dads".

If you're not an iTunes user, you can download the podcasts at the Disdads.com website (or even listen to them through the site). This page has all of the episodes and show notes: http://disdads.com/archives/category/episode

Got it, thanks!

TL

BigTex71
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM

That sounds like my life story. But I wouldn't want to include that on the PodCast, so i am trying to think of something to say about being a father to my wonderful kids. :thumbsup2

T Morrows Child
05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Left my message . . . c'mon guys - do it! It's fun, and I'll bet that we'll be interested in what you have to say. Maybe my story was a bit slight, but hey! It made me smile, so maybe yours will make somebody else smile or remember.

I didn't give a message about me, though. Maybe next year. Anything good was wiped out by the memory that my wife and I flew down for an adult WDW getaway on Father's Day 2010! I'll always remember my daughter giving me a hard time about not being there with her on Father's Day! (Well, it was actually for a conference followed by a few days at "the World," so it's not like I really chose the date.) She did give me a Disney gift card the night before, which was a nice score.

Best part of flying Southwest Airlines on Father's Day? Free drinks for Dads!

AJRitz
05-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Left my message . . . c'mon guys - do it! It's fun, and I'll bet that we'll be interested in what you have to say. Maybe my story was a bit slight, but hey! It made me smile, so maybe yours will make somebody else smile or remember.

I didn't give a message about me, though. Maybe next year. Anything good was wiped out by the memory that my wife and I flew down for an adult WDW getaway on Father's Day 2010! I'll always remember my daughter giving me a hard time about not being there with her on Father's Day! (Well, it was actually for a conference followed by a few days at "the World," so it's not like I really chose the date.) She did give me a Disney gift card the night before, which was a nice score.

Best part of flying Southwest Airlines on Father's Day? Free drinks for Dads!
I finally got a chance to listen to your message. GREAT Dad story. Loved it! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 <-----thumbs

theduck619
05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Aaron, when is the cut off? I was going to do mine tomorrow if there is still time?

RodBelding
05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Left my message a little while ago. Probably rambled on a little bit, but it was a great chance to share, so thanks for putting this together Aaron.

prattpak
05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Aaron, when is the cut off? I was going to do mine tomorrow if there is still time?

David there is still time for you to get your message to us for the Father's day podcast. Either go to the disdads.com website and record it there or record and mp3 and send it to us.
Thank you to all the Dads that have sent in their messages already! Ive listened to most of them and Ive got to tell you this is going to work out awesome!

theduck619
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
David there is still time for you to get your message to us for the Father's day podcast. Either go to the disdads.com website and record it there or record and mp3 and send it to us.
Thank you to all the Dads that have sent in their messages already! Ive listened to most of them and Ive got to tell you this is going to work out awesome!

Is the phone number not working anymore?

RodBelding
05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Is the phone number not working anymore?

It worked for me last night.

theduck619
05-22-2011, 02:36 PM
My call is in and done. I hope you don't have too much trouble editing my peter Brady going through puberty voice.

Thanks Aaron and Mark

jason4024
05-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I will hopefully get mine recorded this week. Soccer has been keeping me ridiculously busy this past two weeks. Guess I am a good dad...

prattpak
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Dads we have about a week and a half to get these in so we can start editing them. Hurry and get yours in. This doesnt have to be an epic speech, just something fun you have done with your kids or with your Dad at Disney. The Podcast special guest will take care of the EPIC PORTION of the podcast!!!!