PDA

View Full Version : Uploading pictures to computer ?

pinkxray
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't know if this is a good place to post this but I can't think of anywhere else. I have a sony cybershot and when I upload the pictures to my computer it automatically erases the pictures from the memory card. I took my daughter to the zoo last week and instead of the pictures transferring over the images came over as a bunch of symbols. Since all the pictures were erased I couldn't resend them over. How do I make it so they don't automatically erase? (I have also have a Canon powershot and there is a little checkmark when I uploading asking if I want to erase, but nothing with the Sony)

Thanks for any advice. I will have a complete meltdown if I accidentally erase all my Disney pictures next week.

ssanders79
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
How are you transfering the files from the memory card to the computer? If I recall correctly the Sony's at one time and maybe they still do have software that runs from the camera when connect to a computer.

It would help if you described your workflow.

pinkxray
05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Sorry about that...

I am using a pc with windows xp. When uploading I just plug in the cable that connects the camera to the computer and they instantly transfer over. They go straight to a folder that I would access by going under pictures. With my canon I do the same but it doesn't automatically transfer, a message pops up asking if I want to import pictures using windows.

I hope this helps, I don't know the technical terms..

photo_chick
05-11-2011, 10:10 AM
The first thing I would suggest is to spend $10 and get a card reader. It saves wear on your camera as well as battery life, and in my experience you tend to run into fewer problems with data corruption in the transfer process with a reader. Readers also tend to be faster for transers than the camera. A reader will also allow you to drag and drop the files just like you would any other files in Windows. You don't need any special software either. It will copy them from the card to the new location you choose but it will not erase them from the card. Then you just reformat the card in your camera and you're good to go.

As far as the problem you're having... it sounds like a preference somewhere. However, since it is the camera software it may not have a way to turn that option off.

ssanders79
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
However, since it is the camera software it may not have a way to turn that option off.

There is a way to prevent the Sony import software from running as I did it for my parents. The problem is I do not recall what I did. If I had to guess I deleted the exe from the memory card or the camera's internal memory that was accessible when connected via usb to the pc.