PDA

View Full Version : Move-In Day: Parents or not?

DisneyGirlie
05-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey all,

My mom was planning on being there to help me move my stuff in, although not like I'd have a lot and I could handle it. I started wondering if parents are even encouraged to be there that day. I know we'll all have a busy schedule. At colleges on move-in day, I feel like parents are usually there helping, but I don't know what it's like at a CP move in day.

Thoughts?

BabySimba
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
If I get accepted into the Cultural Rep program I'm flying down with my parents. They'd rent a car so it'd be easier to get around those first few days, especially to Walmart and the such. And hey, if I'm lucky they might pay for my first groceries! But the real reason I want them to come with me is that I've never lived away from home before. I'd be nineteen by that time, and a little nervous about being on my own for the first time ever. Plus I live in Canada, which is kind of far away so they're not really that close by. Kind of a big first step into reality!

But then again I might feel that I'm not getting the whole Disney experience those first few days. I hear people say it's a good idea to grocery shop with your roommates and fellow cast members for the first time. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But I'm taking my chances and staying with the folks until I get my feet firmly on the ground, if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

DOPEYLUVER
05-09-2011, 06:06 AM
As the parent of a current CPer, here is what I learned.

On move in day due to stupidity, that I won't go into, I did not help my daughter move in. My daughter had met her roommate on facebook prior to moving in. Her mother did help. On the first day the girls checked in and immediately went to casting (or someplace). The roommate's mother moved her in and in doing so secured the best room in the three room apartment. My daughter benefited because she was in the best room.

So if your parents are going with you, be sure they move you in while you're off doing the other things you need to do.

WDW_lover_in_SC
05-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Hey all,

My mom was planning on being there to help me move my stuff in, although not like I'd have a lot and I could handle it. I started wondering if parents are even encouraged to be there that day. I know we'll all have a busy schedule. At colleges on move-in day, I feel like parents are usually there helping, but I don't know what it's like at a CP move in day.

Thoughts?

Parents can def help you move your stuff in! But that being said they can't go through the process of being checked in with you. Most parets stay a day or 2 and help people move in over time.

Dreamstuff
05-09-2011, 06:24 AM
My parents were there, they helped me move in, it was actually quite helpful because as soon as we were done they drove me to the mall to get work shoes. It was kind of late but there were still stores open. :)
I recommend it it makes things easier.

Sehsun
05-09-2011, 07:26 AM
My mom came with me on check-in day, and it was so great having her there! I think we shopped for stuff together at either Wal-Mart or Publix. My roommate's parents were there that day as well. Also, while my roommate and I were at our housing meeting, our moms helped organize our apartment - it was so nice and sweet of them to do that. :)

With that being said, I think it is totally okay to have your mom there on check-in day. :)

SportsChick
05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
My fiance came down with me and while I was at Traditions he unpacked me :) It was super sweet of him to do and less for me to deal with when I got back. I loved having him for those last couple of days before he had to head back home

Practically.Perfect
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Out of the 6 of us in my aprt 5 of us had our parent(s) with us, so you won't be alone. It definatly helps in that you won't have to take the bus from Vista to Chatham with your luggage if that is where you're living and you don't have a car. Also it really does help to go to the store for food. One mom even stayed while we were at casting and washed all our dishes.

Most of our parents left the next day, which was fine and gave us time to hang out/get to know each other. If you want time with your parents to get to know the area, or to do somthing fun in Orlando, consider going a few days early instead of having them stay later.

Legaleen
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey DisneyGirlie! I actually believe we're roommates (this is Beth from facebook) so I'd like to throw out that my daddy will be there and helping me move in so you won't even be alone in our apartment! lol

Sorry if I totally pegged you for the wrong person but I think I got it right =]

mickmom728
05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm a mom of a current CPer and we were there on moving-in day having taken him down a couple days before. We had rented a car so we were able to take him and his roommate(whose parents did not come) to Target and such to pick up bedding, food, etc. I would say there were more parents there than not.
It was fun because the night before check-in the ones that had met on Facebook organized a get-together in the food court of Pop Century so they could all meet the ones they had been "talking" to for months before their arrival. Some of the parents were there, too, and we got to share experiences with all of them(one couple was particularly helpful since it was their daughter's second CP).
Since my son will be done with his program this week and coming home after nine months:yay: I want to wish all the "new" kids the best of luck! Enjoy your time, work hard, don't take little things too seriously, and PLEASE make time to ENJOY what is around you!! The advantage you have of spending time in the parks is priceless not to mention the friendships of the people you will meet! Some of the "older" regular workers gave my son cake on his birthday and sometimes canned food and such to take to his apartment...makes a mom feel better to know someone is looking out for him! Not to mention the fact that he met the nicest, beautiful girl with whom he wants to spend the rest of his life:hug: and the girl buddies that he hung out with when his DGF had to return to school:grouphug:!

thatcrazydisneygirl
05-09-2011, 02:52 PM
My mom was there with me on check-in day. There really isn't so much for the parents but it was still really nice for me to have her there. I knew that if she wasn't with me she would be sitting in some hotel room. The extra person to help unpack was nice as well!

DisneyGirlie
05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Yep, you got me Beth! Excited for this!

But yeah, my mom and I are doing a pre-check in vacation at WDW a few days before the check in date and so she'll be there anyway. She is planning on flying out that night though, and it seems like there is a tight schedule involved so maybe I will advise that she just stay at the resort. I'm driving my car over to check-in and if she doesn't need to go through the actual check-in process with me, she has no way to get over there later to help. We'll see.

Practically.Perfect
05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
If she's going to be in FL, bring her. I'm sure she'd love to see where you're living and help you moving your stuff in and unpack. there is a parents tent while you go through the check in process, so she can talk to other parents.

thisisemily
05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you have to sign in your parents (into the apartment complexes) on day the of check-in?

mickmom728
05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
They will give you a pass with the booklet they give you that lets you come and go as you please for check-in day only.

kenziekinz09
05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I'll probably have all 3 of my parents (mom, dad, and stepmom) as well as my aunt who's begging to come along :D But I do have a few roomies who are coming from FAR FAR AWAY and I'm sure they'll appreciate the extra help. lol

wisblue
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm going to be accompanying my daughter who will be checking in on Monday, August 22. We are arriving the Saturday before (the 20th) and will be staying at the nearby Saratoga Springs, using some of our DVC points. I am staying until Thursday so that I can be around to help with some shopping and other errands in those first few days. When my daughter is busy, I plan on using my annual pass to hang around the parks.

My specific question is what the check in day is like and what the parents can do. Specifically, are the apartments available for move in immediately after check in? If so, I could at least move her bags into the room while she is going through other orientation activities. She may not appreciate having her Dad unpack her stuff for her.

My wife is still stewing about whether she should come along, but I'm really not sure having two of us there adds much. We are planning to visit for a few days in October and December (the DVC membership is really coming in handy for this) so she isn't sure she wants to make a third trip.

Thanks for any suggestions about check in day and the day or two after.

mickmom728
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
They have a tent set up for parents to sit around and wait while the kids are taken by bus to get their IDs and such. We waited until our DS came back and then helped him move everything in and met all the roommates. They even gave us some coupons for Chick-Fila to have lunch in between.

Disneyobsession138
05-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Are parents allowed to wait in line with the kids before they open the "gates" for check in? Also once the kids find out where they are living, are the parents allowed to take the keys and go move the luggage and stuff in while the kids go get their ids and stuff??

This whole check in day schedule is so confusing!!

DisneyGirlie
05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree that the whole first day, actually first few days is very confusing. As a future Fall Advantage '11 college programmer, I wish I knew exactly what times and what specific meetings I had to go to and when. And for training, Traditions, all I know is that it happens at some point within the first few days. That is not detailed enough for me at all. I'm hating this as I'm a very organized person who loves to plan.

KiSsMySaSs89
05-23-2011, 05:35 AM
When I went, I had already met my roommates over facebook. My parents drove down with me, but they stayed with my aunt away from me because I wanted to stay at the Pop! with a few of my roommates. The 6 of us hung out and were the first ones in line at check-in. After getting our housing IDs and getting all of our information on traditions and casting times and housing meetings...We almost immediately had to catch a bus to casting, but not before we went to check out the apartment. Once we got back, I called my parents and they brought my stuff and helped me unload everything. My parents helped me set up a shelving unit that they had for me and I unpacked (some of) my stuff-I wasn't fully unpacked until a few weeks later. I was glad they were there just because they had the van with all of my stuff in it and had they not been I wouldn't have been able to bring as much-which may not have been a bad thing. But if I had brought myself, I wouldn't have really needed them, but I didn't mind them being there.

DansBride2009
06-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I remember after dumping my stuff waiting in lines and then going to classes. Maybe classes were the second day. I don't think many parents were there becuase we were all from out of town. It is a super busy day. If you don't really have the $$ to go, visit about mid semester. Your son/daughter will really appreciate the visit, that's when I started getting homesick. The first few days are super busy and will fly by. And the classes are fun. :-) It's a lot of commotion the first couple of days but sooo worth it. It's a blast!

DisneyGirl421
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I drove down with my Dad, so he was there to help me move in.
However, the morning of check-in itself he didn't come with me. He instead played golf at the Magnolia, haha. and then when he was done, I was done at casting and had free time to get all moved in, settled, and do some shopping that I needed to. But it was nice to have someone else there to help carry things, and rearrange the furniture to the way we wanted, etc, etc.
I was the only one in my apartment though who had a parent with them, as everyone else flew down solo. So he basically helped everyone!

DisneyGirlie
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Just updating what I found to be true on my check in yesterday...

My mom ended up not coming with me (she stayed at the resort) and I was glad she didn't come. I only saw about 5 parents at the parent tent area thing. And, I felt more free to talk with my roommates. I was done with check in at Vista by 9:15. I took the bus at ten to Casting and was done by noon. Most people had to go to a Housing meeting at 3, but they still would have had about 2 hours to see their parents before the housing meeting if they wanted and get unpacked. I didn't have to go to a housing meeting at all yesterday because due to my class schedule, I went to a makeup one today. So, yesterday was my free day with my mom.