PDA

View Full Version : How much are you packing?

KirstenMB
05-08-2011, 04:25 AM
So I'm flying down and I'm bringing a big suitcase, a good sized duffel bag, and my backpack. I feel like I'm over packing but I'm fitting household stuff into my suitcase and clothes and stuff like that in my duffel. So I'm just curious, how many bags are you guys bringing down and such?

(I over analyze everything and am a worry wart but I know I'll regret not packing my big suitcase, duffel, and using my backpack:))

indianabrit
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Someone already made a thread similar to this here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2667814&highlight=pack

The name of the thread is "What not to pack?", but someone made a good list of things you should bring and not bring. I will post that here:

I'm going to have to do this for myself at some point this summer so I might as well start now. I also think I'll put a blog up with some of this info/advice.

Things to know: This is in my girl perspective, but the same should go for guys. I live in Florida and I have been a CP before.

That being said, I tried to go head to toe and make a complete list on what and what not to pack. Things in bold are no-nos. You want to make he most out of less, so bring neutrals and things you can mix and match and you'll be set.

Beauty/U]
1. Flat Iron, Bobby Pins, Hair ties
2. Make Up basics, for when it's not 90 degrees out.
3. One basic piece of each type of jewelery. You most likely wont be allowed to wear it at work, so bring basic stud earrings, one multi outfit necklace, bracelet, etc... this is also true because you'll end up buying jewelery with mickey on it :P

[U]shoes
1. one pair flip flops, neutral color or one pair sandals, neutral color
3. one pair dressy-er shoe, like flats
4. one pair sneakers ( not for work)
5. no socks...yet. since most likely you'll be asked to wear all white or all black socks with you're uniform, don't waster you're space, and just buy a pack in the color you need once you know.

tops
1. one blouse, for class and traditions
2. 5 or so t-shirts that matches many different things
3. 3 or so tank tops
4. cardigan or blazer
5. light jacket
6. one long sleeved shirt
7. bathing suit
note: it does get cold in central florida, you will need a jacket. and just like everything else. you'll collect disney shirts over time.

bottoms
1. 2 pairs of shorts, one denim, one cotton ( like khakis )
2. jeans!
3. black (easiest color ) slacks/trousers/ a skirt for traditions and class
4. flowy skirt
5. tights to go with skirt on cooler days
6. one neutral belt

Bedroom & Bathroom
1. NO: Soap, Shampoo/Conditioner, rug, toilet paper, cleaning products, towel, toothpaste. although you'll need it all, it's heavy and bulky and can wait until you're down.
2. toothbrush :D
3. 2 or 3 unframed photos from home to fight homesickness. you'll end up with disney frames. don't worry :P

Random
1. Stickers or Labels: Sure you can buy them when you're down, but if you want to purchase over time for the sake of not spending a large amount of $ at once, do this now and out them aside. You'll need then to sort of mark which things are yours in the fridge and pantry, just so there's no confusion.
2. A backpack. You'll need this for class, visiting the parks, going to work, trips to the pool, etc...
3. On that note, put a few pens and a notebook in there.
4. I brought my T.V. even if you aren't the biggest t.v. watcher, you'll need a movie day with friends, or need to see the news once and a while. Let's just say, my roommates and I saw live when Kanye busted the whole " Ima let you finish..." bit . LOL.
5. All your electronics and their cords.
6. a combo lock ( like from high school). there are lockers in your closet, and maybe at work, for you to put valuables in. I didn't worry about my laptop, but my passport was in there all 6 months.
7. Appropriate Pajamas/Comfy wear
8. bed sheets. but no pillow.
9. lanyard/ something sturdy for your keys and ID etc...

She made an amazing point that we WILL be shopping while we're at Disney. Most of us will come back with more than we came with ;)

Myself? Since my mom is going to drive me to Florida, I'm planning on bringing:
-Two comforters and two pillows (I'm pretty particular when it comes to this, but I can wait on sheets until Florida)
-clothing (Just about everything mentioned in the list above)
- A few tiny knick knacks
-Small notebook/stationary

FairyPiranha
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
When I first saw this thread I thought you were gonna bring a gun. lol

t-ho
05-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Someone already made a thread similar to this here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2667814&highlight=pack

The name of the thread is "What not to pack?", but someone made a good list of things you should bring and not bring. I will post that here:

She made an amazing point that we WILL be shopping while we're at Disney. Most of us will come back with more than we came with ;)

Myself? Since my mom is going to drive me to Florida, I'm planning on bringing:
-Two comforters and two pillows (I'm pretty particular when it comes to this, but I can wait on sheets until Florida)
-clothing (Just about everything mentioned in the list above)
- A few tiny knick knacks
-Small notebook/stationary

I'm so flattered that my list has been copy/pasted. haha. But now that I look back at a few things, I might make 2 separate lists, 1 for people who drive and another to flyers.

TinkStitch
05-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I flew down for my first program & my mom went with me, so I took 3 checked bags. A large suitcase, rolling duffel, & large hiking-type backpack. I still bought my pillows & stuff when I got there, but I took kinda random stuff with me. I had gotten a Brita pitcher for really cheap, so I packed that & a george foreman grill.

My parents drove me down for my second program, so I was able to bring a lot more stuff, like a TV. I ended up giving a lot of my stuff to friends when I left cuz I flew home & didn't want to pay to ship it all, but I didn't mind cuz I only took things that I would be ok with leaving there if I needed to.

Dreamstuff
05-09-2011, 06:27 AM
So I'm flying down and I'm bringing a big suitcase, a good sized duffel bag, and my backpack. I feel like I'm over packing but I'm fitting household stuff into my suitcase and clothes and stuff like that in my duffel. So I'm just curious, how many bags are you guys bringing down and such?

(I over analyze everything and am a worry wart but I know I'll regret not packing my big suitcase, duffel, and using my backpack:))

A suitcase, duffel bag and book bag are EXACTLY what I brought my first program and I was fine. I feel like people severely over pack for this thing, I didn't even USE all the stuff I brought and I feel like I only brought clothes, shoes and electronics. (And a few books but I just feel weird without them)

indianabrit
05-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm so flattered that my list has been copy/pasted. haha. But now that I look back at a few things, I might make 2 separate lists, 1 for people who drive and another to flyers.

This would be an excellent idea. :thumbsup2

piratechick
05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm packing my whole closet basically, lol! Since I'm driving, I'm taking...

- most of my clothes (only leaving the bulky winter clothes)
- all of my shoes
- my makeup and jewelry
- a backpack and purses
- my TV
- my blu ray and movies
- a coffee maker
- two locks
- an iron and ironing board
- hangers
- storage bins
- bed risers
- my laptop and IPad
- a router
- my hair accessories, blowdryer, and hair straightener
- a comforter set, pillows, and a mattress pad
- an alarm clock
- a small table lamp
- a huge bulletin board
- my teddybear (call me childish, but I had it for 24 years and can't sleep without it)
- ID documents and the on board paperwork that we have to fill out

That's all I can thing of right now, but the list will probably get longer when it gets closer to check in day.

Itsjen516
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
do you need a TV ? is there cable in rhe rooms ?
do you need to bring pots and pans ? i hate outside food lol so i wanna cook :)

how about a fnacy dress are there any fancy partys ?

how do u know who brings the rotuer fpr the labtop

indianabrit
05-10-2011, 01:27 PM

The only one I REALLY know the answer to is the pots and pans. I believe the kitchens have everything you need cooking-wise.

Other people have said they've brought small t.v.'s to put in their rooms to watch dvd's. I don't know if the rooms have cable, but I know the living room does. Who needs cable though if you have a laptop and netflix. :rotfl2:

I don't know if there are any fancy parties at Disney. o.o...

I think the router is pretty much a hit or miss. If your laptop doesn't pick up wireless very well, you should probably bring one.

Itsjen516
05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
The only one I REALLY know the answer to is the pots and pans. I believe the kitchens have everything you need cooking-wise.

Other people have said they've brought small t.v.'s to put in their rooms to watch dvd's. I don't know if the rooms have cable, but I know the living room does. Who needs cable though if you have a laptop and netflix. :rotfl2:

I don't know if there are any fancy parties at Disney. o.o...

I think the router is pretty much a hit or miss. If your laptop doesn't pick up wireless very well, you should probably bring one.

oh ok as long as the livin room has i think we are good lol
my roommates better let me watch my rachel ray hhahahahahahha

and im not gonna bring a routher ill let someone eles bring it cuz we dont even have one lol :surfweb:

oh how about plates :p do we bring plates lol

piratechick
05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah, the rooms have cable if you want to bring a small T.V for it. I usually watched a movie or my shows that I like. I would get Netflik if I wasn't tight on money. Anyway, I got plenty of movies and we get free cable anyway, so, I don't really need Netflik.

If you are planning on going out sometimes, like clubbing or a nice restaurant, then bring some fancy clothes. You also need a dress for the Winter Formal they hold for CPs sometime in December.

The kitchen is fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, plates, and cups. The only thing that it is missing is a toaster and coffee maker, though there is a tea kettle in the kitchen as well.

If you want internet, but don't want to use a router, there is a Ethernet cord connection in the living room in Chatham and Vista, and two in each room in Patterson. So, just bring a long ethernet cord.

Dreamstuff
05-11-2011, 06:31 AM

There is cable so bring a TV is you want, I just used my laptop

There is a formal so you could bring a fancy dress for that

Wait till you get there for the router I'd say, that way if someone doesn't bring one you can always just go out and buy it

khancock
05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
posted last week on the official youtube channel

http://youtu.be/F1YtBfqKib8

doesn't go into detail what to bring (list is on the site), but does have testimonials.

you prob don't need as much as you think you would.

beckysmith
05-11-2011, 02:51 PM
If I get accepted for Spring 2012, I'll be packing A LOT!
I overpack for everything, so it should be no different. What ever fits into my car is going and I guess what ever doesn't fit I'll have to buy when I get there.

But that would include..
Lots and lots of clothes, those fold up shelf storage things that hang in closets, a shoe rack that comes apart (I like shopping lol)
A fan, some picture frames, bedding
& I'll probably get some kitchen stuff when I get there & some of those plastic storage things for whatever I need a space for.