PDA

View Full Version : What lens' for a cruise?

chloevannah
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Only 14 more days til our 3 night Dream cruise! I am trying to work out what lens/s' I want to take on board with me. I shoot with a 50D and these are my choices:
-50mm 1.4
-85mm 1.8
-24-70mm 2.8L
-70-20mm 2.8L
-100mm 2.8L
-15mm fisheye

And I will also be taking my D10 underwater camera...

Kate x

Revan
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Kate -

We just got back in April and I think you would be best served with wide and fast lenses. Definitely your 50 for your fastest lens, your 28-70 (your fastest widest), and your fisheye - lots of cool opportunities for this lens.

Most of my shots were interior shots (boat details & group shots), landscape (CC shots, etc).

I'm sure you could find use for all your lenses and I did talk with someone using a 70-200 on CC, but there didn't seem to be a lot of opportunity to use that lens, especially given the size and weight. Probably leave the 100macro home too, but I think your 85 portrait would give you some nice extended range.

So - fisheye, 50, 85, 28-70 - lots of memory cards - flash if you have one (with those lenses you definitely have a speedlite around). Don't think a tripod is necessary with that kit.

chloevannah
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks Revan yes I do have a speedlight that I was thinking of taking and I have an 8GB and a 16GB card plus a spare 8GB (not a great one) that I will take as a just in case card. Hoping that that is enough storage.

toomanycars
05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Revan yes I do have a speedlight that I was thinking of taking and I have an 8GB and a 16GB card plus a spare 8GB (not a great one) that I will take as a just in case card. Hoping that that is enough storage.

I would plan on having a laptop to download on or get more memory. Memory is cheap now, but this trip is one time only. I see 8GB with free shipping way under $20.

chloevannah
05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I only get the good cards and the 16GB one I just ordered was over $100. We will also be taking out two iPad's so if needed I can transfer pics over to them to clear off the cards.

PoohJen
05-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree with Revan's suggestions. By the way, when you get back on the ship in the afternoon of Castaway Cay - that is a great time to take pictures along the upper decks - the Magic and Wonder were always empty at that time! (Can't tell about the Dream - will know come July!).

Also, you may want to rent a bike to get around and see more of CC:thumbsup2

Have a great cruise, and Happy Shooting!:cool1:

chloevannah
05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the great tips PoohJen!

cosine4
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM

I would definitely take the speedlight. I just got off the Wonder 10-Day Mexican Riviera and used my speedlight daily...always some character meet and then getting family/kids shots while dressed up for dinner.

I second taking more memory, especially if you shoot RAW. This was my first trip shooting RAW so I really didn't have a good handle on how many cards I needed. I ended up buying a 2nd 16GB card and was glad I did. Granted we did a 10-Day cruise and 5 days Disneyland (life's rough, I know :) ) and I filled up 2x 16 GB, 1x 8 GB, 3x 4 GB. I switched back to jpg to conserve space towards the end of my trip.

As to the lens question I agree with everything that has been stated above. I used my wide angle most of the day to capture interior shots and family shots. I used my fast lens (35mm f/1.8) during the shows. The only time I used my 55-200mm was when we were near land I got some shots from the top deck of the landscape.

Have fun!

Gianna'sPapa
05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I know this is only a three day cruise, but what's wrong with bringing them all. Then you know you will have all situations covered. Do you want to take the chance of missing the shot of a lifetime because you were conservative in bringing your equipment? And I know we all adapt to the situation with whatever we have on our cameras, but if you have the equipment ...

mom2rtk
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I know this is only a three day cruise, but what's wrong with bringing them all. Then you know you will have all situations covered. Do you want to take the chance of missing the shot of a lifetime because you were conservative in bringing your equipment? And I know we all adapt to the situation with whatever we have on our cameras, but if you have the equipment ...

I've never been on a cruise, but it seems like this would be the best plan. Once you get your gear to your room, you can just pick and choose what you want to take out at various times throughout the day.

I know if it were me, the ONE lens I wouldn't be able to live without would be the one I left at home!