PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Like The Wilderness Lodge?

cwcooper810
05-03-2011, 08:08 PM
After weeks of debating and going from Pop Century, to Port Orleans French Quarter, then finally to Wilderness Lodge, we have decided to go with Wilderness Lodge. It looks like a great place to stay and I read on ALLEARS that it was voted the best resort on Disney property. Why do you like staying there?

BBQMommy
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Stayed there in Feb 2010. What I liked about it was its quiet serenity. It just made this busy gal calm right down. On our first boat trip to WDW I was so surprised how close the resort was in proximity to the Contemporary. The way the lodge is nestled into the landscape in a way that I felt so very removed from it all. Next month scheduled a dinner at WCC just so we can get back there. Staying at CBR this time, at the request of a first time guest.

Caryn

Sue M
05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
We've been lucky enough to stay there twice. We love it. Beautiful lobby. You walk in and -wow! The rooms are comfy, love having a balcony. Nice pool, boat to MK, and another resort boat to Ft. Wilderness & CR. I love sitting on my balcony or by the pool and hearing the boat horn! Geyser, beach, boat rentals, movies on the beach. There's nothing we don't love about it.
Nothing like Pop.

You will want to make time to just take a break and enjoy the resort. We always take an afternoon break to go back to the resort to relax, have a swim break, and just enjoy being there.
We also enjoy watching The Electric Water Parade from the beach or docks.

It was a difficult decision this summer, we're doing a split stay with POR & BC. We would have gone back to WL, but then decided it was also fun to try a new resort, and we haven't been to any Epcot resorts.

So thinking about returning to WL for next Jan, if I get a good discount :goodvibes

cwcooper810
05-04-2011, 03:12 AM
If you got a standard view room, which we did (its a stretch for us to stay at a deluxe lol) is it most likely a parking lot view? I thought i read somewhere that there arent many parking lot views that its mostly woods

Tinbadge69
05-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Im in the same spot. Really debating on this resort. Is it worth the extra money to stay here?

Kimberle
05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
It's one of the smallest resorts.
It's under one roof, no going out in the rain/storm.
It's beautiful.
Wonderful pool area.
Location.
Boat to MK.
Easy access to CR & FW.
All rooms have a balcony/patio.
The decore.

Kim1964
05-04-2011, 05:29 AM
It's a relaxing place to return to after the hustle and bustle of the parks. We had an inner courtyard room facing straight out to the lake the last time we stayed there. It was nice sitting on the balcony with coffee in the morning, and at night we had a great view of the water parade. It's also a bit less $$ than the other deluxes, so that makes DH happy.

rubysparkles
05-04-2011, 05:43 AM
I think you've all convinced me! Sounds so perfect.

mickeynut1
05-04-2011, 06:41 AM
The WL is a beautiful resort :). We love the atmosphere and having the boat transportation to MK and the CR and Roaring Forks is also great for quick CS meals ;). We love the WL......it's one of our favorite resorts :goodvibes.

lisareneeo
05-04-2011, 06:53 AM
We have stayed at all 3 (plus some other resorts) WL is our favorite.
The lobby is beautiful. It is a great place to relax and have some down time.

disneywatcher
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Stayed here our first vist and staying here again on our upcomming trip.

It's hard to describe exactally why my family and I love this resort but I can honestly say when the CM at the check in desk said "Welcome Home!" to me, I couldn't help but feel at home. Maybe it was the fireplace in the lobby, or the warm feel the wood in the building gives off? Maybe it was the pool and how even during it's busiest time during the day it was a serene haven to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks? Maybe it was the friendships we took to get to the parks or the paw prints we saw in the cement as we walked all over the grounds of the resort? To many thing's to mention that make this resort feel like Home to us.

kapoof
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
the lobby.
the bus to mk..everyone brags about the boat but the boat ride is longer..the bus is only 5 minutes! :goodvibes

pmaurer74
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
we were there last summer and loved it! We liked the beach and the theme of the resort. The lobby is really great and the fireplace. We stayed club level so it was even better and we got to see the castle from our room which was a dream come true. We plan to stay there again someday.

athens4119
05-04-2011, 10:10 AM
We love the place! We have stayed there five times and plan on returning again in July. In my opinion it is one of the best themed resorts at Disney. The attention to detail is amazing, and the overall environment is relaxing and beautiful. We have stayed at the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Boardwalk, and Caribbean Beach, but always find ourselves returning to the Wilderness Lodge.

kaligal
05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
It's cheap (for Disney "deluxe" standards). It's relaxing. WCC has decent breakfasts.

B+ gift shop.

Pool is okay. Fast food is okay.

Geyser is cool.

Mike77
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for the help you have given to me and my family in regard to planning our WDW trip next week.

Oddly enough most of my questions were already answered by previous post.
So searching the threads was a great tool for us.

My kids are so happy, I even suprised them with offical autograph books for the trip.

Dont tell my kids but, I think I am more excited then they are.

Thank you all again.

Carrie772
05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I have one thing to add:

If you get rained in one afternoon, there is a whole lobby to explore. Kids can roam around from floor to floor while you can still see them! There is also a hidden mickey hunt you can enjoy in the resort! Very nice.

katla33
05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Our family loves the Wilderness Lodge! It is such a beautiful hotel. I also love riding the ferry to the Magic Kingdom. Seriously, I would probably live at the WL if I could!!

amzking
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
The atmosphere. The lobby is just so beautiful, and here is the thing that IMO sets it apart. You HAVE to go through the lobby. To go to the busses, to get to the food, etc. It's not like the Poly or BC/YC where you go out an alternative door to the busses, or are in a separate building from the lobby and therefore may not see it at all during the day. No, you will walk through the lobby in the morning for breakfast. Then again to get the bus. Then again at the end of your park day. Then, in the rare instance you do not have to go through the lobby, for example to get to the pool, you will go through the amazing courtyard landscaping. It's just beautiful. I love the peaceful feeling I get there, and I am always sad to have to leave.

Micca
05-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I think we like nearly all of the WDW resorts, so don't have much bad to say about any of them(except All Star Sports). WL is a very pretty place and is kind of a different vibe after being in throngs of humans all day. :earsboy:

princessallegra
05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
the lobby.
the bus to mk..everyone brags about the boat but the boat ride is longer..the bus is only 5 minutes! :goodvibes

HA! This is exactly what DH and I say! That freaking boat takes forever! Not to mention the long walk all the way out to the dock. The bus is a breeze! 5 minutes flat. And the best part is, at the end of the night when you're leaving MK and every single bus stop is PACKED with people, WL isn't! :thumbsup2

To the OP, we love WL. It is our favorite resort, and we call it home! It's all under one roof, the theming is amazing, location is amazing, pricing is best of all the deluxes, transportation is great...It's the whole package! :goodvibes:goodvibes

NJdadof2
05-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Everything being in one building is awesome. It does spoil you.
Being that close to MK can't be beat either, and a good value when compared to the GF, Poly, and the Contempo.
You can spend the morning and early afternoon going to the parks. Go back to the lodge for a nap, swimming, and dinner. Then, as the sun begins to set, head to Main St. for the evening. :cool1:

kstatefamily
05-04-2011, 07:51 PM
We have stayed at WL twice and just love it. Love the fact that is all under one roof, smaller. The boat ride to the MK can't be beat. My must do is to fill my mug and then go sit on the beach and watch the light parade. The light parade is the one thing I remember from my first trip in 1975.

Plus our 8-year old LOVES the slide at the pool.:wizard::wizard:

Bus service is usually good too.

We are headed back to the world in December 2012 and decided that we don't really want tom stay anywhere else.

Bev

yarlenna
05-05-2011, 07:08 AM
I also love riding the ferry to the Magic Kingdom. Seriously, I would probably live at the WL if I could!!

Me too! If I could aford it, I would sell my house and move in!

MattMatts-Momma
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
We have stayed there about five times over the last couple of years. It really is a beautiful place, and so relaxing. I can't think of any negatives.

I hope we enjoy our stay this year at the Grand Floridian as much as we enjoy the WL. To be honest, I am a little nervous about staying anywhere else.

billfatora
05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
It's gorgeous, comfortable :angel: , gorgeous, quiet ;) , gorgeous, serene :cloud9: , gorgeous, very nature-oriented :flower3: , gorgeous, peaceful :cutie: , gorgeous, friendly :hippie: ... and did I mention gorgeous ! :wizard:

troynkasey
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Our favorite resort is POFQ if you're going for "bang for your buck". But it barely out does the WL. We've stayed at WL back in 1996 or 1995 and then again around 2000 and then again around 2005 or 2006. I can't remember. We're going back again this year. We've stayed at other resorts and this is the resort for me. Here's why...

Quiet, calming feeling (AKL has the same feeling) walking up to the doors and into the lobby
The smell walking in truely is something that one would think you'd experience when visiting Yellowstone or one of the National Parks.
Rooms are relatively close to the lobby compared to some other resorts (POR, CBR, SSR, etc.)
The proximity to MK is a big deal for us as that's the park we spend two days in compared to 1 day for each of the other parks.
The boat ride to MK is peaceful and relaxing. It's also nice to sit up front and feel the breeze after a long day at MK.
Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue is a must. We've seen it 4 or 5 times, will see it again this June and it never gets old.
When going to Disney, we love everything Disney, but it's nice to go back to the resort and not have Disney in your face. The resort's details are over the top in true Disney fashion, but you could vacation here and not know you're at Disney World if you didn't visit the parks.
Whispering Canyon is a fun meal to have. We enjoy the skillet for breakfast or dinner. The dinner skillet is preferred with a tall draft Bud Light. The antics by the servers is fun if your family enjoys practical jokes.
Hope this helps in your decision. We've stayed at All Star Sports twice (and never again), All Star Movies, POFQ (twice), CSR, SSR and WL 3 times with this year being our 4th and WL is my personal favorite.

MMrules
05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I think you've all convinced me! Sounds so perfect.

You will not be disappointed!!!:love:

I wasn't sure if I would fall in love with the WL b/c I am from New England and I prefer to see palm trees out my windows....that being said I fell hook, line and sinker in love with WL:cloud9:.

It is very peaceful, serene, and relaxing. The architecture is amazing to look at. There are so many details in the lobby that are beautiful and not to be missed. The sounds of the waterfalls in the lobby and courtyard are very relaxing and great to sit down by to catch your breath.

The boat ride to Magic Kingdom was fantastic! It was very relaxing and beautiful to take in the sights of Discovery Island and CR while on the boat. I found it was also a great way to leave MK after being there all day.

I only ate at Roaring Forks while I was there, but was pleased with every meal.

I had an inner courtyard room and loved having the balcony overlook eht waterfall, pool and Bay Lake. However, other than looking at a roof or dumpster, I don't think any of the views would be less than relaxing.

I was there for a solo trip for 4 days, so I didn't get to do everything I wanted at the resort, however, it is on my list of resorts to go back to with my family:thumbsup2

PrincessAurora
05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
It is beautiful, serene and feels like hjome. You feel like you are alone in the woods while so close to many of the large parks. The boat to the Magic Kingdom, Artist Point, great bar, fabulous lobby, the places to discover on the various floors. I love taking a bottle of Fairy Tale Curvee to one of the "mini sitting areas" on one of the upper floors by it's own fireplace. Friendly cast members, animal life, great pool. I get the Wood View (Otter Pond) on the Magic Kingdom side. Floors 4 and higher in the middle give you a great view of the castle and fireworks from your balcony. It's the cheapest of the Deluxe resorts and after staying here, you will be loathe to go back to a non-Deluxe property.

EastonCat
05-07-2011, 05:31 PM
HA! This is exactly what DH and I say! That freaking boat takes forever! Not to mention the long walk all the way out to the dock. The bus is a breeze! 5 minutes flat. And the best part is, at the end of the night when you're leaving MK and every single bus stop is PACKED with people, WL isn't! :thumbsup2

To the OP, we love WL. It is our favorite resort, and we call it home! It's all under one roof, the theming is amazing, location is amazing, pricing is best of all the deluxes, transportation is great...It's the whole package! :goodvibes:goodvibes

We don't like the boat because it is fast, we just like the ride. Bus service in general is very good, and the MK bus is snappy.

In addition to all of the great reasons posted, the service level in general is very good at WL. From mousekeeping to front desk to maintenance, every cast member if friendly, informed, and ready to answer a question or direct you to the answer.

The mix of theming, service level and quiter/slower pace have moved WL to e top of our list.

DSLRuser
05-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Themeing, location, and theming.

Also the value. For what you pay, you the best vacation. I almost stayed at them all. Wl is the best value.

fla4fun
05-08-2011, 06:44 AM
WL is my first choice if I want a non-park Disney trip. It has excellent themeing, and being right next to FW, there are lots of things to do. I like the lobby, and all the little nooks and crannies for relaxing and enjoying the ambiance. I never mind having to wait for my room to be ready when I'm staying there.

I usually take the bus to MK instead of the boat. Nine times out of ten, the bus won't be crowded at all and the boat is packed. Also, if you're there when the weather is hot, the bus is air conditioned. It is a little longer walk to the gate, but no longer than if you were staying anywhere else, as they usually have one of the closest stops.

maltdisney
05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
WL is always our first choice! Loads of reasons, but mainly -

* Decor is beautiful
* Great pool & poolside bar
* Artist Point
* Skillets at the Whispering Canyon Cafe!
* Proximity to MK / nice boat ride
* Watch the Electric Light Parade from your balcony!
* Better than the Grand Floridian by a mile and less $$$

Book up! You won't regret it

WDW LifeLong Fan
05-08-2011, 07:52 PM
We've been there too many times to count.

Stunning Decor
Nice Pool
Wonderful theme.
Serene
Good Transportation
Nice running/walking path to Fort Wilderness

Just a great place to stay/relax