PDA

View Full Version : Are there any resorts you would not go to just because of its theme?

3princes+1princess
05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Just was curious if I was the only one.

I know Coranado Springs has queen beds and probably is a great resort.... but I am from Arizona (not originally) and I hate it here. I want to get away from here and so to be on vacation in a SW themed resort would not work at all.

Also shy away from the OKW for the same reason....but would stay there because the theme at least seems fun.

JimmyV
05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
You are not the only one. There are several resorts that do not appeal to me based on theming. No need to elaborate, because my "never" resorts will be many other people's "must" resorts. Neither of us is right or wrong. We just have different tastes and expectations.

Missytara
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Like anyone else, I have resorts I would never stay at; not so much of the theming, but the relaxation factor. I also travel alone, so I look for something that is spread out, so I can have a lot of "me" time w/o being overrun by huge families. I.E., quiet pools; alternative dining, etc.

I have resorts that I have been able to learn how to co-exist with the larger groups, and they suit me just fine.

Pakey
05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I feel that way about the Poly. We've vacationed in Hawaii several times and the Poly just feels wrong to me. I know it's a great and much loved resort but it's the only deluxe we haven't tried.

KatMark
05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
There are several resorts we have no desire to stay at. The ones, based on theme only, are: Grand Floridan, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk and the BLT.

cluvsdisney
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
CBR does nothing for me. The rooms remind me of every other hotel in Florida.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree with you about Coronado Springs although my reasons are different then what you listed. A few years ago I only went there to purchase a pin which was only sold in their store. Well when I got there the first thing I said is how they are in an isolated area of WDW which I didn't like. I also didn't like how far their rooms are from their main building. Now I understand all Moderate Resorts basically have that same set up of thier room locations, however I thought their set up was way to long of a walk. Besides that I remember reading the reviews of Pepper Market and how bad they were when it comes to the service from the Cast Members working there. So it doesn't sound like a great place to eat at, so instead we would rather eat at a local restaurant in Toronto called Rich Tree Marketplace that has the exact same ordering set up as Pepper Market.

I would also have to include the Swan. During our first stay at the Boardwalk Inn we decided to walk over there since it's very close. Well I honestly didn't see what was so special about it. I thought their lobby and other common areas lacked any theme or atmosphere.

clanmcculloch
05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Yup. I can't convince DH to ever stay at the Contemporary because he says it just feels to cold and well, contemporary (yeah, I laugh at him for that). He really doesn't like contemporary decor in the real world so no way will he choose a resort that's themed like that when there are so many other resorts that he does like to choose from. That's the great thing about WDW; there's a resort themed for any taste.

There are other resorts that we won't stay at for reasons other than theming but you just asked about theming.

Lillian Gracey
05-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I won't stay at POP because I don't like the theme at all.

poohgirl6
05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, there's a few that seem to have themes that hold no attraction for me personally: SSR, CSR, CBR + any of the Values:sick: However, I will never say never because until last year, I would have added AKL to that list. However, after a short stay there, I fell in love with the resort:lovestruc So, I might be open to trying one that doesn't particulary appeal.

Kim1964
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
The only theme I don't care for is the Contemporary, and I have no desire to stay there.

kaffinito
05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Well if you asked about theme, there really is only resort I don't really care for the theme of. WL is too much like the lodges here and in Ohio for me. I can stay at a real lodge close by, so I don't want to stay at one in Florida. :goodvibes

Claire&TheBoys
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
OP, for the same reason you *don't* like CSR, we love it! The Southwest feel is so very different from the area where we live, it's like having 2 vacations in one!

And, so, themewise, I have to say the POR holds no appeal for us; in our area of Florida we have areas that remind me of both sections of POR. Same goes for CBR - there are housing developments that resemble that style of architecture and are similarly colored.

I don't think there's a Deluxe I wouldn't stay at if I didn't have to pay the bill!

allonte
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I have no desire to stay at Fort Wilderness or POFQ. I'm not outdoorsy at all (but I could handle WL) and the statues and jesters at POFQ creep me out. OH! I wouldn't do Boardwalk either. I don't handle clowns very well and that slide ruined the whole resort for me, lol.

Disneymadhouse
05-03-2011, 03:36 PM
AKL / AKV doesn't appeal to me at all. When I was researching where to stay for our trip next year I really didn't like the look of the decor at AKV. It looked really dark to me. I know others have fallen in love with AKV, and thats great, because if we all thought the same wouldn't WDW resorts be boring!! :goodvibes

Claire :)

jking6
05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Its funny you statenot to CSR because you are from Arizona which my the way is my favorite resort. But to anwser your question I would say Saratoga Springs because I live near there in NY:rotfl: Also I am not interested in WL or FW due to the fact I live in the rustic upstate NY area.....

Havana
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
It would be CS for us. I want to eventually stay at all of the resorts someday, but CS will be the last on our list.

#1eeyoregirl
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
The Yacht & Beach Club do not appeal to me at all because of the themes. My DH has no desire to stay at CR because he says it just looks to boring.

CathieArms
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Just was curious if I was the only one.

I know Coranado Springs has queen beds and probably is a great resort.... but I am from Arizona (not originally) and I hate it here. I want to get away from here and so to be on vacation in a SW themed resort would not work at all.

Also shy away from the OKW for the same reason....but would stay there because the theme at least seems fun.

ASMusic and ASSports don't appeal to me at all. Also, Poly theming doesn't appeal to me. Boardwalk looks to "busy" for me. But, I can't imagine I'd "hate" it.

Minnesota!
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Grand Floridian - too victorian

BLT - looks too "business"

Contemporary - we toured around it in Jan b/c DH wanted to stay there someday and we both came away saying no way in Hades!

Swan/Dolphin - toured them both and found them boring, stuffy, and lacking any theming that reminds me of being in Disney

I think that's it??

poohluv2u
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
If I had been asked that question 5 years ago, I would have said there was no way I would stay in the budget resorts .... and I would have had to eat my words! Because of budget constraints we ended up staying in the Pop Century one year and since then planned another two trips staying at the Pop also... and we were happy to do it! :laughing::laughing:

If money were no object I would favor the Grand Floridian and Boardwalk, and even though we live in the Northwest, I also love Wilderness Lodge. I don't like Contemporary style so that would be my last choice, and although I love Hawaiian style, the Polynesian's decor is a little dark for my tastes.

MrsDarling
05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I grew up in Southern California, so the whole south-of-the-border thing at Coronado Springs doesn't do much for me, either.

The other resort I'm not that interested in based on theme alone is the Wilderness Lodge. It's too close in theme to the Grand Californian at Disneyland, which I've stayed at.

I've heard lots of great things about the Wilderness Lodge, and if someone else wanted to foot the bill to stay there, I'd agree in an instant. But for Deluxe prices on my dime, I want to see what Disney does with a theme I haven't tried.

CTDis4
05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
This thread was great...everyone answered the question...no one got defensive when possibly their favorite resort was named. I guess I wouldn't stay at the values...we are a couple without (we are older) children...would opt for something easier on the eye.

metzgardesign
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
No desire to stay at the Duck and Fish. The values don't really excite me too much. Of the Mods, then POFQ just doesn't seem to yank my chain. And of the Deluxes, CR would be my last choice. No real interest in OKW or SSR, either.

luckypup
05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
CBR turns me off.
Contemporary does not thrill me.

Luckypup
1989 GF
2009 YC
2011 BWI

Nermel9
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
The only resort I really don't have any desire to stay in is AS Sports. The only sport I like is baseball, I wouldn't want to be surrounded all these random sports on my whole vacation!

I'm not a big fan of the Contemporary theme either, but I'd probably stay there if I had the chance, just for the location!

minnie mum
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Based on theme or anything else, I wouldn't want to stay at any of the value resorts. A little to "motel 6 meets Route 66" for me.:confused3

Haven't seen a Mod. resort yet that I didn't like.:thumbsup2

Of the deluxe resorts, the only themes I really don't care for are the Beach and Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. Just not my thing.

kerri0616
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Fort Wilderness. I'm not a happy camper. ;)

Kerri

KatMark
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
No desire to stay at the Duck and Fish.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Sorry no offense to those that like the Swan and Dolphin, but that description just ha dme :rotfl2::rotfl2:

OThopeful35
05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Although I would gladly stay at any of the Disney Resorts :goodvibes for the sake of this thread, I would say CBR.

mfinley
05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I live at the beach, so CBR doesn't appeal to us. We like POR/FQ. We like all of the shade and serenity. Considering CSR for December, but a little worried about it being so spread out.

I would take any of the deluxes if I could get it for the cost of a mod.:thumbsup2

We haven't even considered any values.

catra121
05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I guess for me I would try anything once (and actually would like someday to try all of them once)...but there are themes that don't really appeal to me. My favorites are POR, WL, AKL, and CR/BLT...most of the others are just 'eh' to me with OKW and BWI being lowest on my list of ones I would like to stay at (though BWI's location makes me want to stay there for location...so I am torn because I really DON'T like the decor). I just like the warmer feeling that I feel like you get from POR, WL, and AKL...and something about CR/BLT just calls to me and I really don't know why...lol!

Disneyfreak616
05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
No desire to stay at the Duck and Fish.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I call them the Swank and Fish. :rotfl: One day I meant to say "Swan" and it came out as "Swank" and the name just sorta stuck. I have no desire to stay at the Swank and Fish either. Shula's and a visit? Sure! But stay there? Nope. Just not my taste.

The All-Stars also don't appeal to me much either, except for maybe the Calypso section of ASMu and the Surf's Up section of ASSp. ASMo really needs a refurb and I HATE the Mighty Ducks section. LOVE the theming of POP though! And can't wait to check out Art of Animation when it's done! :cool1:

I LOVE the themes of all the other resorts! The WL doesn't appeal too much because I live up North, and the rooms are really brown, but at Christmastime I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. :goodvibes Besides maybe the GF... :cloud9:

I live in upstate NY, so you would think that SSR wouldn't appeal, but I really love the theme! So classy and spacious. Plus, I love the closeness to DTD.

My mom doesn't really care for the Contemporary/BLT very much. She's not a fan of the whole "modern" look. I, however, LOVE it!

She also doesn't like POFQ very much, the jesters and clowns aren't really her thing. The BWI doesn't bother her one bit though, and I hope we can stay there one day! I love POFQ and it was my first Disney resort on my very first trip, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. :lovestruc And I like the Mardi Gras theme. :goodvibes

Grace&Carolinesmom
05-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Based on theme, I would have to say POFQ is bottom of my list. I just don't care for the whole Mardi Gras mask thing and it just looks too run-down-southern-motel to me. No flames--I know many on this board hail its virtues--it's just my view. The new rooms are beautiful but the outside theming is not my taste.

nkereina
05-03-2011, 07:03 PM
If I was from the southwest or New Orleans, I would get a kick out of staying at Coronado or Port Orleans. Being from NY, there's probably so many details and things I can't appreciate at these resorts but if you're from there, you'd probably catch on. I'd like to stay at Saratoga Springs someday as I've been to Saratoga many times and would love to see Disney's take on it.

I'd probably not stay at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary or any of the values. None of those themes appeal to me.

calngavinsmom
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Although my goal is to try them all, I would have to say Old Key West is the least appealing to me.....too "Miami Vice" :lmao:

Take care:goodvibes

Belle83
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Some I'm obsessed with, some I'm neutral about, and some I just don't like...

Pop Century does not appeal to me at all, and for me the theme is reason not to stay there.

Mighty Ducks section and the new Art of Animation make me not want to stay at All Star Movies.

The Polynesian doesn't appeal to me either because of the theme, which I can't really explain. I think it's because I've been to Hawaii so many times that it just seems wrong to pretend to be in the Pacific when I'm in Florida (I know that's irrational, especially given that I have no problem pretending I'm other places outside of Florida at other resorts..). Also, people refer to it as the 'poly', which sort of just reminds me of polygamy.

The Contemporary doesn't appeal to me because, to me, it's not a 'real' theme. Again, I know that doesn't make much sense.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest. If I were still living there, I'm not sure I would want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Now I think I'd enjoy it though :)

That being said, I'd like to try them all!

ocalla
05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
POR - I'm only 2 hours away from New Orleans, so I don't feel like I'm away on vacation!!!

Also, All Star Music and All Star Sports don't seem like my style.

I don't have a problem with any other resort theme or design.

Sue M
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Based on theming alone, CR, CSR & Boardwalk do nothing for me. And the values. The giant icons are not for me. My kids are in their 20's so just doesn't appeal.

Jaymie
05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I want to stay at all of them at least once. But DH hates the idea of staying at GF so I guess that will be our last resort.

KJay
05-03-2011, 08:53 PM
None of the All Stars are appealing to me, nor is POR- I still think of it as Dixie Landings. Fort Wilderness also doesn't do anything for me. I think I'd try anything else, though!

Interesting to hear so many people say they'd like to stay at places that remind them of home- I wouldn't have guessed that...

Luckily, it seems that Disney has something for everyone :thumbsup2

hammie59
05-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge/Villas. Love the animals, HATE the decor. Sorry to those who love it...

Altoqueenkelly
05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
The resort's that I do not want to stay in (again) are:

Value - All-star Sports
Mod - Port Orleans Riverside
Deluxe - Contemporary

Nettester
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Not a resort, but I have no desire to visit Blizzard beach. I love waterparks and adore Typhoon Lagoon but I hate our long white snow covered winters, and when I'm in Florida, I want to be surrounded by tropical, NOT an all white winter landscape.

mickey&minniealways
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Won't stay at a value. Unless it was a solo trip. DH is over 6'. His feet stick out the end of a double bed if he sleeps at a slant there is no room for me. The rooms are to small when you have to share with a tall person. Most mods until they get the queen beds. Then all but POR it just does not apeal. CR does nothing for me but I would like to try BLT for the views and proximity to MK. SSR love vacationing near Lake George but somehow it does nothing for me. WL is another one. We do not live in the northwest instead the northeast. There are enough pine trees to last me a lifetime. After the noreasters we go through every winter and the only thing that stays green is the pine trees and evergreens WL I can do without. You would think that would mean I would not like the Yacht and beach club because we live in New England. Maybe it has someting to do with the fact that I love the beach and have spent many wonderful summer at new england beaches, especialy the cape and south shore in MA.

metzgardesign
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Sorry no offense to those that like the Swan and Dolphin, but that description just ha dme :rotfl2::rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I call them the Swank and Fish. :rotfl: One day I meant to say "Swan" and it came out as "Swank" and the name just sorta stuck. I have no desire to stay at the Swank and Fish either. Shula's and a visit? Sure! But stay there? Nope. Just not my taste.

Also, affectionally referred to in our family as the Goose and Guppy. :thumbsup2

StuckInKS
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
There are several resorts where the theme does not appeal to me. OKW, SSR, CBR, POR, AS Sports and ... CR. I have never wanted to stay at CR and would rather spend my money for WL or Poly, but DD7 thinks "it is so cool that the monorail goes right thru it, and Chef Mickey's is there!" So here I am paying $270/night for a resort I could live without. But at least it is on the monorail. I would not pay deluxe prices for OKW and SSR since they hold no location value to me. I'd stay at CSR and save some money. If going mod, I'd much rather pay for CSR than CBR and would only do POR if I needed a room that held 5+1 or wanted easy non-bus transport to DTD. As far as values, I'm only doing AS Sports if it is the only option left.

StuckInKS
05-04-2011, 12:02 AM
The Contemporary doesn't appeal to me because, to me, it's not a 'real' theme. Again, I know that doesn't make much sense.

I completely get it :thumbsup2

lllGurulll
05-04-2011, 12:06 AM
I can't really say because we have only ever done Pop. Heck to be honest, the only resort I would be truly interested in seeing just once is the Grand Floridian. I will never be able to justify the expense of it though so it is only a pipe dream.

StuckInKS
05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Fort Wilderness also doesn't do anything for me.

I forgot about this one. It reminds me too much of the country, and I hate the country. My dad's side is always begging us to go. They love nothing more than going to the middle of nowhere, fishing, having bonfires and eating BBQed deer, but I hate it. (And just can't bring myself to eat deer.)

goopysolelady
05-04-2011, 12:42 AM
There are several resorts where the theme does not appeal to me. OKW, SSR, CBR, POR, AS Sports and ... CR. I have never wanted to stay at CR and would rather spend my money for WL or Poly, but DD7 thinks "it is so cool that the monorail goes right thru it, and Chef Mickey's is there!" So here I am paying $270/night for a resort I could live without. But at least it is on the monorail. I would not pay deluxe prices for OKW and SSR since they hold no location value to me. I'd stay at CSR and save some money. If going mod, I'd much rather pay for CSR than CBR and would only do POR if I needed a room that held 5+1 or wanted easy non-bus transport to DTD. As far as values, I'm only doing AS Sports if it is the only option left.

I felt the same way...until we stayed at BLT last summer. CR just never appealed to me but as a DVC member, DD's home resort is BLT. Since we were invited to share their rooms I didn't feel it was proper to "complain"! :lmao: Boy did I have to "eat my words/thoughts". Previously, we'd stayed mostly at the Poly and WL...and I LOVE :lovestruc both; but BLT got me "hooked". It's different; but interesting. Keep an open mind; you may end up like me...truly enjoying "contemporary"! :thumbsup2 (and...the being able to walk to the MK is an added bonus!) :tink:

My "not go to resort" would be AK. Visited a few years ago and lobby area was WAY to dark for my taste...and I'm just not "into" the African theme.

ice cube
05-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Any of the value resorts just to cheesy..:upsidedow

Mamu
05-04-2011, 05:34 AM
I not crazy about the theming of the value especially POP. My children have stayed at these resorts and have enjoyed them.

Not to say we haven't stayed at value resorts, we have. When my children were small we always did value resorts. Life then was about saving for college and retirement.

Four children later, I'm done with value. I want a little luxury.

We have done the moderates and there fine, but our number of grandchildren have grown and grown so we now stay at the deluxes.

When we do adult trips we usually stay off site at a timeshare. We can rent a 3 bedroom timeshare for less then a week at a Disney resort. We love staying on site though so we cough up the difference when we travel with GC. DH likes his afternoon naps, so we stay in the park, he hops on a bus and returns to the resort.

pigletto
05-04-2011, 05:50 AM
While we think WL is a lovely resort, the themeing doesn't wow us at all.
We go every Fall to a place in the Adirondacks. The WL is modeled after this type of place. So I associate it with mountains and cold fall air.. not Florida.
We'd probably stay there for it's proximity to MK and still like it, but many others are first choices.

ETA) Adding in CBR for the same reason. We've been on Carribean Cruises a handful of times.. so I don't want carribbean at Disney.

july2011
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Polynesian (stayed there as a kid) - too 70s and for some reason I have an extreme Brady Bunch reaction :)

WL - just doesn't seem right in the Florida sunshine. We've stayed in cabins elsewhere so maybe it's just prior experience making this seem out of place.

KatieCollette
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not a fan of the All Star resorts, and def no WL for me! Living in Wisconsin makes me want to stay away from any woods themed anything.

LowesChevy
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge.

The Boardwalk almost seems like it lacks a good theme. The creepy clown pool slide is enough to keep me away.

I enjoy visiting the WL to walk around, but being from Pennsylvania I have seen enough wilderness, wild animals, rustic decor and outdoorsy themes. Just not appealing to me.

Just*the*ten*of*us
05-04-2011, 09:44 AM
The Mighty Ducks building of ASMo really bugs me!! Was that movie really even good enough to make a whole building about? I will say, I'm a little less bugged now that the Art of Animation is opening up though. I could never understand why they would do a Mighty Ducks building, but not Little mermaid or Lion King!

DizneyLizzy
05-04-2011, 09:52 AM
The Mighty Ducks building of ASMo really bugs me!! Was that movie really even good enough to make a whole building about?

Haha...I love the movie Mighty Ducks (I think I was 8 or 9 aka prime demographic for it when it came out) but I never thought about this before and it makes me laugh. Can you imagine being in the room when that decision was made?

As for thread, I would probably never stay at OKW or CBR because Florida already has a tropical feel to it - I prefer to stay at resorts with themes that seem more out of place or out of the ordinary for the region.

avic77
05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Value= All Star Sports (not a sports girl)
Moderate = POFQ (i live 3 hours from NOLA and we go often) the colors are not relaxing to me
Deluxe = Contemporary (im not into modern art and i dont like that the mono goes THROUGH it... freaks me out LOL)

Vowelmommy
05-04-2011, 11:01 AM
For me it is the Wilderness Lodge, and the Bayou at POR. I actually switched our res from POR, because I just could not get over the theming. We live in MN, and there is a lot of cabin and rustic theming around. It just does not feel "special" enough for Disney for me!!

tigeramy75
05-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Based on theme alone, we are not interested in CR. Location is great, convenience is great...but the whole look and feel of it just leaves us cold.

forever11709
05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't like the themes of the values, but that being said I am planning a trip for my daughters second birthday and since it will be just me and her and possibly one other person we are looking at staying at POP or AS Sports .. No reason to dish out a whole lot of money on a trip she won't really remember. Although our trip in July when she will be just 15 months old we will be staying at beach club, we like to travel to OBX and I think this will remind us all of our house there :) and nothing can beat SAB :)

I also am not a fan of AKL, not sure why but it just doesn't appeal to me :/

redc
05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
OP, for the same reason you *don't* like CSR, we love it! The Southwest feel is so very different from the area where we live, it's like having 2 vacations in one!

CSR is like a motel in the Southwest.

jakeybake
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes.

Poly
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge (we did stay there once)
AKL
Any of the All Stars

jess20k
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Not anymore..but, at one time I was hesitant and delayed staying at one resort because of that...And guess what???? It is now one of my favorites..lol!! :lmao:

I was never impressed with the Mardi Gras type of theming, so I never thought I would like POFQ. Well, I was so wrong! I finally ended up staying there and fell in love with the resort. So, you just never know. It doesn't hurt to try something, and then if you end up not liking it, then you don't have to go back.

TinkerBelle_325
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
The Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower have no appeal to us. To me, the look very much like a standard hotel. I could be in a Marriott that I stayed in in Palm Springs were it not for the monorail. They just seem a bit blah to me.

On the other hand, my two favorites Coronado and the Poly, have had several knocks on here. Everyone likes different things :thumbsup2

midnightlouise
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Based on theme alone the only places I really would not want to stay would be the All Stars or Pop. Let's just say those would be at the bottom of the list. They just don't seem to be my thing, but never say never. I never used to be interested in WL, I'm not a rustic/camping type of girl, but for some reason it seemed like it would be perfect for our Christmas trip ;)

mcd2745
05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I never say "never"...but there are many whose themes do not appeal to me at all. Principal among them are both PO resorts, the Grand Floridian (yeah, that's right), and OKW. You certainly could make the case that the themes for all those those are all somewhat similar - so it's no wonder they do not appeal to me. CSR, BW, the values, and CR I'm kind of indifferent to. Their themes do nothing for me...literally. I'm not turned off by it like those previously mentioned nor am I interested by them like I am for CBR, Poly, Yacht/Beach Club, WL, SSR, or AKL.

kaligal
05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
The only way I can be dragged into the Contemporary/BLT or any of the value hotels is if someone I really love has their poor heart set on it.

I don't care for the rooms at CBR, either. If they re-do them, though, I'd happily return.

jmendez24
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
For me it's the GF as well, the victorian theme just doesn't appeal to me.

ChiCat
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Based on pictures and what I've read because I've never been to Disney I have no desire to stay at the Poly, FW, or OKW.

yaksack
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I would not want to stay at the Grand Floridian. We love the WL and Beach Club.

CTH3
05-04-2011, 07:29 PM
WDW resort themes seem to be split into two categories:

The Deluxe and Moderate resorts have an “idealized geo-historical hotel” theme. The WL is supposed to be like staying at one of the western National Park lodges built in the 1930s, the Poly like staying in a traditional South Pacific island longhouse, the AKL like an accommodation in a remote African village (that happens to have all mod con), the YC like a traditional New England yacht club, POFQ like a hotel in (an astoundingly clean and safe) New Orleans, the GF like staying at a grand resort hotel in the early 20th century, and so forth.

There is a conceptual difference in the way Values are themed. Rather than going the “idealized geo-historical hotel” route, Disney chose to focus on varieties of pop culture--the Pop, which is an artfully exaggerated celebration of pop icons, and the various All-Stars, which celebrate various specific areas of popular culture.

One big reason we prefer to stay at a Moderate or a Deluxe is our preference for the “idealized geo-historical hotel” theme as opposed to the “celebration of popular culture” theme. We enjoy the "it's like we're staying at a hotel in...." quality of the experience.

So while we would never say never, it is unlikely we will ever stay at a Value because of the theming concept.

collegejunkie
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
we are staying on site for the first time in a long time because we own a timeshare off property that we usually stay at. we'll be staying at AKV, and i'm thrilled, because when we took the DVC tour, i fell in love! i think the theming is great and the details are awesome.

i wouldn't want to stay at the grand floridian or the contemporary. funnily enough, i'd enjoy staying at BLT. i don't think i'd like CSR or all star sports. i could dig all star movies and music.

that said, i've been looking at pictures of the rooms on here and other websites and none of the rooms really feel very disney to me. i was disappointed because i imagined them being so different, but they really just look like regular hotel rooms to me. the AKV rooms seem to keep more with their theme than others. i really wanted to try VWL or AKV and then when i looked at pictures of WL rooms, i was so sad that they didn't seem to have anything really special or disney to them. is it the small things in the rooms? i was expecting mickeys everywhere. *shrug*

Invisable89
05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
GF - the exterior/surroundings look beautiful it's just the inside that doesn't do it for me, it looks a little dated nowadays - a bit plain, not really the wow factor i would expect at the 'flagship resort'. :confused3

tina.tina
05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
The thing someone posted about not liking the Poly because it reminded them of polygamy. How totally irrational and weird- I love it!!!!

I guess I'm irrational & weird, too. I don't think I'd ever want to stay at the GF. We walked through there & it was dead silent- except for the loud & annoying kids' activities director at the pool. We could hear her from very far away. We caught a bus there to DTD & waited 40 minutes for a bus!!!! After 20 minutes a bus to HS came along but that wasn't where we were headed. Maybe no one there rides the bus. There were only 2 others waiting at the bus stop.

I actually fell in love with Pop but I might not love it quite so much if I went without kids. It was so much fun. We stayed in a preferred room & it was so convenient. We went around the beginning of April and the main pool was never crowded. We thought walking around the lake was peaceful & romantic.

Babbletrish
05-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Funny, I'm from New England and I love the Yacth/Beach Club... :laughing:

Well, seriously, I'd avoid the super-value resorts (Pop, All-Stars, anything that's basically a base geometric building with a bunch of crazy stuff glued to it that caters mostly to teens - this then is getting old). The Dolphin was perfectly adequate but felt too "sterile". And the Grand Floridian is way too pretentious.

That said, I wouldn't have chosen to stay at Port Orleans if our school group didn't book it, but I liked both hotels a lot. So I'd be willing to try anything.

Babbletrish
05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
After back-tracking through the thread a bit...

The thing someone posted about not liking the Poly because it reminded them of polygamy. How totally irrational and weird- I love it!!!

I thought that was one heck of a cognitive leap too, so I looked for the actual quote:

The Polynesian doesn't appeal to me either because of the theme, which I can't really explain. I think it's because I've been to Hawaii so many times that it just seems wrong to pretend to be in the Pacific when I'm in Florida (I know that's irrational, especially given that I have no problem pretending I'm other places outside of Florida at other resorts..). Also, people refer to it as the 'poly', which sort of just reminds me of polygamy.

My father is a geometry teacher and I am a fantasy fan. My brain goes straight to Polygon, Polymorph, that "Poly High (http://youtu.be/8WCxsMSueQ4)" song from the trippy animated film based off Harry Nilsson's "The Point", Polymer, and, uh, Polynesia way way before it starts thinking "Big Love" but, eh, different strokes. :confused3

The Mighty Ducks building of ASMo really bugs me!! Was that movie really even good enough to make a whole building about?!

Wait a minute... are you saying that the Mighty Ducks building isn't part of All-Star Sports? That makes absolutely zero sense! :confused:

wdwislife
05-05-2011, 08:27 AM
I plan to stay at every resort for at least one night! I will definitely like some more than others, but I want to give them all a chance. :)

SoScary'09
05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I used to think like this. That's why for our first trip we stayed at CR for fear of not liking the themes of other resorts. Mistake! CR was ok but boring imo. Now after going and doing more research, I'd happily stay at any resort.

I'd be at WDW so I can't complain!

stitchfriend
05-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Contemporary Resort.....

Dizznee Freak
05-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Polynesian (stayed there as a kid) - too 70s and for some reason I have an extreme Brady Bunch reaction :)
LOL:lmao: That is the main reason My family loves itparty:

calypso*a*go-go
05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm from the Pacific Northwest and because of that, the Wilderness Lodge does not appeal to me at all. That's why I'm grateful there is so much variety with WDW accomodations!

RachaelA
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Is Boardwalk the one with the clown pool? If so, we will never stay there. DH hates clowns :lmao:

brookmey
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
No Contemporary for me, either. To me it feels like a regular hotel, with no specific theming. As a PP said, it feels cold and unwelcoming to me.

I'll probably never stay at the YC or GF because they don't send off a very "we love kids!" vibe to me. I feel like they're both great resorts for adults with no kids. Whenever we've gone in either resort I feel like I'm going to get chastised if my kids talk too loudly or get something dirty! :)

Although we like the value resorts, I have no desire to stay at ASMu simply because we're not big music people. We stay at Sports because we LOVE football and our kids have so much fun running around the Xs and Os!

avic77
05-05-2011, 11:44 AM

http://marinifamily.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dispicable_me_987201a.jpg?w=300&h=202 WhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT :rotfl2:
Thats the funniest thing i have read on here in a long long time. Maybe Cody Brown and his family can run a commercial for the "poly".

BTW I love that show, while its not the typical American family it works for them :goodvibes

poohluv2u
05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
GF - the exterior/surroundings look beautiful it's just the inside that doesn't do it for me, it looks a little dated nowadays - a bit plain, not really the wow factor i would expect at the 'flagship resort'. :confused3

We've stayed at the GF, a couple of times, and believe me it is worthy of being the 'flagship resort'. While the theming may not appeal to everyone, the service is absolutely top notch. We just stayed in a standard type room, so we had no expectations of anything really special, but one evening we came back to our room to find a plate of 'tuxedo strawberries' sitting on our turned down bed. We had a light bulb go out and I mentioned it to housekeeping as we were leaving for the day. Not only did they change the bulb, but there was a printed notecard in an envelope apologizing for any inconvenience it may have caused. There were just so many little things that made our stay there feel like we were royalty .. I dream of being able to afford to stay there again :cloud9:

jimmiej
05-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I can't think of a single Disney resort I wouldn't stay at because of the theming. They all look cool to me.

There are some resorts I would stay away from for other reasons. Mostly, I'm a deluxe snob. :goodvibes

Amy&Dan
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
After back-tracking through the thread a bit...

I thought that was one heck of a cognitive leap too, so I looked for the actual quote:

My father is a geometry teacher and I am a fantasy fan. My brain goes straight to Polygon, Polymorph, that "Poly High (http://youtu.be/8WCxsMSueQ4)" song from the trippy animated film based off Harry Nilsson's "The Point", Polymer, and, uh, Polynesia way way before it starts thinking "Big Love" but, eh, different strokes. :confused3

Wait a minute... are you saying that the Mighty Ducks building isn't part of All-Star Sports? That makes absolutely zero sense! :confused:

Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is at All Star Movies. Mighty Ducks was a movie and since the resort is a tribute to Disney movies it actually fits pretty well. I also am betting Might Ducks was maybe a recent release at the time Disney built ASMO. A little advertising for their new flick maybe!

As for the original question, I used to say WL held no appeal because I live in Colorado and we have so many mountain lodges. But then we had a chance to stay there two years ago and I really researched it and got so excited. Unfortunatly it didn't work out, we had family going with us and they were not able to get the same deal. I was crushed and now its on my top "to try" list.

I can't see myself doing the CR for more than a couple of nights because I prefer a resort that has expansive grounds but I'd still like to stay there.

Frankly, I'd sleep in a dumpster if it was at Disney so I guess I like about anything on property!:laughing:

Disneyfreak616
05-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Also, affectionally referred to in our family as the Goose and Guppy. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh that is HYSTERICAL. I love all these names! They were really asking for it with these awkward statues on top. :laughing:

Babbletrish
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is at All Star Movies. Mighty Ducks was a movie and since the resort is a tribute to Disney movies it actually fits pretty well. I also am betting Might Ducks was maybe a recent release at the time Disney built ASMO. A little advertising for their new flick maybe!

Well, yeah I knew Mighty Ducks was a movie. I also knew that Disney, by a shocking coincidence I'm sure ( :laughing: ) bought a hockey team they renamed the Anaheim Ducks. I'd seen pictures of a hockey-themed pool and hotel with Mighty Ducks insignia as part of the All Stars and just assumed it was part of the Sports section of the campus. That it would in fact be part of All Star Movies never occurred to me. (I know the movies were popular when the hotels were being built but how much nostalgia is there for them today? I wonder if we'll be saying the same thing about the Cars Art of Animation hotel in fifteen+ years...)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh that is HYSTERICAL. I love all these names! They were really asking for it with these awkward statues on top. :laughing:

Heh, we stayed at the Dolphin this spring and nicknamed the giant statues in question Akbar and Zoidberg and Natalie and Mila. :rotfl:

tinacaplan
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM

I thought I was the only one who saw this! :rotfl: The furniture is so dark and heavy and looks painfully dated, IMO. Huh?

I had always said YC/BC because I've spent most of my life living near and vacationing at New England beaches...but I'm considering a stay at BC in July! I had breakfast at Cape May this past February and thought the resort was very charming and you cannot beat that location!

I have no desire to stay at WL. Seems SO out of place in Florida! Laughably so... the others make some kind of sense, at least...but a pine wood forest? Um...no.

Don't have any interest in POR, CBR, OKW, or SSR. Just don't do much for me, I guess.

We've stayed at CSR twice and we adore it there!

mousegear
05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I won't say never but for now we stay away from value ones. Decor looks too tacky for my and DH's taste. I'm pretty sure DS 7 will enjoy no matter what but we do like bit more relaxing and serene atmosphere for our resort. We prefer AKL when we have car or GF/Poly. For moderate CBR/CSR only if we have car and POFQ/POR.

We don't like to stay CR b/c our city apartment decor is contemporary/modern so it is nothing special.

Disneyhenry
05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Well at 1st I would have said WL because I am from the Northwest, but then I saw picture of it at Christmas and I really hope to talk DH into staying there next year for Christmas but I have a feeling we will be at AKL
So that said - GF, it is just not my cup of tea, to princessy I guess