PDA

View Full Version : Would you Pay Rack Rate?

morethananyonex
04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
If Disney decided to eliminate all discounts (AP, FD, room only, etc.), would you still pay rack rates to stay onsite? Would you downgrade your resort/room choice or would nothing change except the price of your vacation?

Bottom line, are the resorts worth Disney's price to you?

KatMark
04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
We would NOT downgrade. We would stay with our moderate with or without free dining, room discounts, etc.

dzorn
04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
We usually only add days at the hotels when we are out of DVC point or to stretch them, so for us it would depend what time of year we are staying and level of resort.

If going during peak time we would stick to a value or moderate, would not pay full rack rate at a deluxe during that time period.

Denise in MI

sjs314
04-30-2011, 05:42 PM
For all our trips over the years we always paid rack rate, stupid us did not know about AAA discount and when I switched this year from Sept to Oct. I was prepared to pay rack but then DH rec'd a pin for 20% off.

So yes I would pay rack if there were no discounts we stay deluxe or moderate and that would not change as we don't really want to stay at the values.

morethananyonex
04-30-2011, 05:45 PM
I guess I should post my opinion too :laughing:.

If Disney got rid of discounts all together we would probably stay moderate like we used to instead of staying at the more expensive deluxe resorts like we have been in recent years. I guess I'm more curious to see if people who stay in rooms that can be well over $400-$500 a night would still continue to do so.

gojoe
04-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Sometimes the rack rate comes with included dining or included park tickets. It can work out to be a value. Sometimes. Notice I didn't use the word free.

ThreeKMom
04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I voted other, we usually stay deluxe with a room discount or preferrably buy 4 get 3 free. If we had to pay rack rate we would look into renting DVC points, that way we could still be at a deluxe.

mickeynut1
04-30-2011, 05:58 PM
We would not change. We love the deluxe resorts and probably split our time equally between the parks and the resort :goodvibes. If there were no discounts, we would still stay deluxe but maybe stay 1 or 2 nights less ;).

bedogged
04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
We chose to stay offsite one June because after waiting over six months, the only discount we could get was AAA. We had a lovely stay at the Hilton near Downtown Disney for a fraction of the cost. They have EMH privileges as well so not a big difference. Now, the lack of ME might make me rethink?

Cdn Friends of Pooh
04-30-2011, 06:06 PM
We also voted other ... for a few years we stayed offsite, then finally made the move to Pop in 2007 so that we could afford two trips that year. It was also that first trip in 2007 that we bought APs in order to take advantage of the AP discounts. We continued to stay at Pop with our room only AP discount until this past October when we received a 40% off pin and decided to book a room at the Polynesian. We are going back to the Poly in less than 3 weeks - again with an AP discount, and are looking to book the Poly in October, hopefully with another discount of some sort.

If Disney did away with all discounts, I'm afraid we would either have to revert back to Pop or offsite. I can't see us paying $450/night rack rate at the Poly for our dates when we could get Pop Century for $105/night rack rate, or offsite with a discount. For $300+ extra/night for the Poly, I can buy a lot of souvenirs/food, etc. for that money. ME isn't a consideration for us, as we always rent a car anyways.

I honestly can't see Disney doing away with discounts totally as most hotel chains offer some sort of discount on their rooms.

robinb
04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I voted "other" because I guess I would pay rack rate for the last few resorts I have not stayed in yet just so I can say I stayed at all the resorts. Otherwise, I would stay more using my DVC points.

TDC Nala
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Swan and Dolphin would get my business once I ran out of DVC points.

LilyWDW
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I already am paying rack rate this year for our trip. No PINS and no public discounts have come for my dates... but we will go no matter what.

I would rather go less often and stay on site, then be able to go more often but have to stay else where.

Swan4Me
04-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Swan/Dolphin is one of WDW's hidden gems and a LOT cheaper than any of the Deluxes!

WDW hotels are WAYYYYYY overpriced at rack rate:rolleyes1

carrie1626
04-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I chose other. Look at my signiature tag and you can see that I've stayed at all the realms.

Some of those trips were planned a year ahead of time, one a few weeks, another a few months. It all has to do with $$ and TIME.

I'll never give up WDW, but I'll change my total package to work around what's best for me:wizard:

Sue M
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
If Disney did away with all discounts, & free dining, I would not stay Deluxe, I would stay at a moderate (maybe) with no DDP, or stay at Swan & Dolphin.

We have stayed at WL, AKL, Poly & soon- BC. Would never pay rack rate, so my days of deluxe, and DDP would be over. Swan/Dolphin would be looking a lot better ;) since I wouldn't be doing the DDP either.

Fortunately for me, I enjoy POR- but if I can get the same price for Swolphin....I would stay there. And I prob could, with educators discount.

But at the moment, we have free DDP at POR, and a 35% off at BC so I'm happy :goodvibes Just waiting for the AP discount for BC so I can take off the park ticket. I have DDP at BC. Will keep Free DDP at POR.

Sue M
04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Sometimes the rack rate comes with included dining or included park tickets. It can work out to be a value. Sometimes. Notice I didn't use the word free.

I figure no discounts meant no DDP or tickets added, because to me that's a discount.
Yes, we are paying rack rate at POR and the DDP is included. It was cheaper then getting a room discount, and paying for DDP.

Mike&AllisMom
04-30-2011, 07:16 PM
We would not pay rack rate. We would stay off site. We stay deluxe and I just can't pay rack rate - mainly because it's outrageous even with a discount, not because it's out of my budget. It's hard to justify the price to dh even with the discount.

DebbieB
04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
I haven't had this issue recently since I have DVC but before DVC I never paid rack rate. I either had some kind of promo package or a room discount (I had Magic Kingdom Club back then). I wouldn't pay rack rate on principle (unless there was a promo like free dining). I really think Disney hikes up the rack rates so that they can offer discounts and people think they are getting a good deal. In my opinion, the reality is 30%-40% off brings the price down to what it is really worth.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
For all our trips over the years we always paid rack rate, stupid us did not know about AAA discount and when I switched this year from Sept to Oct. I was prepared to pay rack but then DH rec'd a pin for 20% off.We also use to pay the rack rate for a long time until I also discovered we could reserve the AAA rate, then we discovered their other discounts like the Bounceback rate and general public room only offers from the WDW website. So you weren't the only ones who didn't know about all their other discounts.

eliza61
04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
If I couldn't use my dvc points it would be the Waldof Astoria, next door. It's more luxury and cheaper.

ddluvsdisney
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I would never pay rack rate for deluxe resorts, so since those are the only ones we stay at on property, I guess we would end up staying moderate. That's my opinion I know DH wouldn't do anything but deluxe. The past 2 years we have gotten 40% off room. This year we're staying Poly! So excited!!!! Love discounts. Hope they always have them.

Snork
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I voted "other." We use whatever savings we get to extend our trips, therefore our trips would become shorter in length.

chocovrdmicears
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes. I would pay rack rate - BUT we happen to currently be in love with POP - we are booked there paying rack rate but we are getting Free Dining. I would still pay rack rate at POP without any other discounts but would adjust our travel dates to a Value Season only. Staying offsite is not an option that would work for our family.
We have stayed at Deluxes several times and loved them but I would NEVER pay rack rate at a Deluxe.

GraceLuvsWDW
04-30-2011, 09:05 PM
I would never pay rack rate. I would stay offsite or rent DVC points in a heartbeat.

Mamu
05-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Many years ago before finding this web site we always stayed at moderates and paid rack rate. We now purchase AP's and usually take advantage of the AP Rate. It's usually 40% off sometimes more.

We now are willing to change resorts and dates to get a great rate. We have not paid rack rate in over 10 years.

Mrsjvb
05-01-2011, 08:20 AM
we'd go back to Shades of Green because for the same price we'd do better room wise( we pay the highest rate at SoG)

I'd consider trying Swan or Dolphin if I could't get into SoG.

but I will not do a Value or Moderate under any circumstances so if I couldn't a
afford a deluxe, we'd either take a cruise instead.. or not go at all.

Tyme4wdw
05-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Considering I'm a single parent with limited funds, I would be forced to stay offsite or not go every year as I usually do. I would have to wait a couple of years in between trips to save for onsite rooms.

Swan4Me
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I would never pay rack rate for deluxe resorts, so since those are the only ones we stay at on property, I guess we would end up staying moderate. That's my opinion I know DH wouldn't do anything but deluxe. The past 2 years we have gotten 40% off room. This year we're staying Poly! So excited!!!! Love discounts. Hope they always have them.

Just a reminder people-Swan/Dolphin are DELUXES Hotels-not motels like the Mods-and with AAA rate are a deal =always cheaper than WL and AKL-if you book ahead.:)
AND they use the Disney bus and boat system so you are ON PROPERTy!:)

lissiesmum
05-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Just a reminder people-Swan/Dolphin are DELUXES Hotels-not motels like the Mods-and with AAA rate are a deal =always cheaper than WL and AKL-if you book ahead.:)

Shhh...don't let the secret out! ;) I never thought I'd love any resort more than the Poly, but the Dolphin won me over! :love:

Wendy5055
05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I look for the room discount so we can stay at the deluxe resorts. Without it, we cannot stay there and I would have to downgrade.

We have stayed at POP before and while it is a great resort, the Grand Floridian has our hearts. It would make me sad.:sad2:

catra121
05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I would pay rack rate...but my dream of going every year would probably not come true. And I would probably always have to stay value instead of my current plans to try out the deluxes (unless I was able to rent DVC points).

eyeheartgoofy
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
I'd still go, but I would downgrade resorts. I love the deluxe resorts, but can live with value resorts.

ScarletFire
05-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Never pay rack rate; will no longer stay off- site. If there are no "true" discounts, we rent points from a DVC member.

Colleen27
05-01-2011, 10:04 AM
No, I don't think I would. The on-site premium is just too high for the amenities offered. We'd either rent points or book the Swan/Dolphin, most likely, to get the on-site convenience without the Disney resort price tag.

monkeybug
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
No way would I pay rack rate! A night at the ritz is cheaper than a night at the Poly. We take our car, so I'd tough it out at the Ritz and drive to the parks. ;)

rie'smom
05-01-2011, 10:16 AM

ETA-no way would I pay rack rate.

We just got back last night from a split stay at AKV and BCV and I have to say that when we're not using DVC pts, I will only consider the Swan and Dolphin from now on. They are so much better than the WDW resorts and the price is unbelievable!
As for not getting the DDP if staying at the S/D, we used it this last time and again left with 8 cs credits unused-this has happened each time we've used it.
Don't even get me started on the beds at WDW. There is NO comparison. I woke up several nights this last week because I was uncomfortable. That has never happened at the Dolphin or the Swan. We all know after a long day in the parks that a good night sleep is essential and I just did not get that and wasn't at my best. I felt tired during the day instead of energized.

kaligal
05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Never ever ever.

As it is, I frequently stay offsite. Once in a while, I'll stay in a WDW hotel, but not if the price isn't right. Even with the AP discounts, I think they over-charge for the rooms.

Hell would freeze over before I'd pay them what they generally charge.

clanmcculloch
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
We started travelling to WDW when we saw that with discounts, WDW was similarly priced if not better priced than many other family vacation destinations. With rack rates increasing so quickly and discounts shrinking or disappearing all together, we're starting to look into other vacation destinations again. Not only will I not pay rack rate, but we may not even travel to WDW if discounts diappear all together. We may consider renting an offsite house but the Mouse would only get a small portion of our vacation money because we'd be going to other attractions besides just WDW when in the Orlando area. Right now, getting people onsite means they get all of our money. They're only get a tiny fraction of it if they do away with discounts or even if the discounts are cut down enough.

vettegirl
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I would just go back to staying at the shades of green if I didn't have a discount of some sort.

ClareH37
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
In the UK we don't usually qualify for pins, although for the last couple of years, and again in 2012, we do receive very good discounts for OKW/SSR, but I enjoy staying at the deluxes and they are not discounted. When the /$ rate has been more favourable I have taken advantage of any US discounts but even a good discount with the current rate of exchange does not make any discount so attractive or good value.

I have however got free dining with my package (through the UK) but the actual resort itself is not discounted, I am therefore paying rack rate for the resort itself this trip although the free dining obviously makes things easier for me, but it is still very expensive.

Transatlantic airfares are increasingly expensive and due to the deluxe resort rates I have already decided to give 2012 a miss. When it comes down it I will pay rack rate (as I'm doing this year) for the resort I really wish to stay at but my trips will not happen every year.

Mamiamjo
05-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Since buying DVC, we only stay there. But, if WDW did away with discounts, there would be more rooms left unused and they would have to lower what is considered rack rates (except maybe during peak season)

Splashboat
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
We have used 40% off pins for the last 2 years. Now that we have stayed in a 1 bedroom villa, I do not think I would want to stay in a studio again. I can't imagine paying rack rate for a villa. If we don't get a decent discount we will stay off site next winter (which will also give us an opportunity to do some "non-Disney" things for a change if we rent a car).

JenSop
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I think we would stick to just doing DVC stays if there were no discounts. We occasionally add on days with cash before or after the DVC portion of our stay. But if everything was always rack rate, I guess we wouldn't be adding those extra days and would just stick with what we could do with our DVC points. (Or rent points from someone else.)

Jareds_mommy
05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
If Disney decided to eliminate all discounts (AP, FD, room only, etc.), would you still pay rack rates to stay onsite? Would you downgrade your resort/room choice or would nothing change except the price of your vacation?

Bottom line, are the resorts worth Disney's price to you?
We do 2x 2week vacations a year, and I set a budget of what we will spend for the year, lately with the discounts at disney world and disney cruises have been giving up best bang for our buck, so we have been doing those.
We don't care where we go as long as its warm. SO if disney no longer gave up the best bang then we would change locations, before disney cuba and dimnican republic were giving us the best bang, we could go 2 weeks for 4 of us at a 5 star all inclusive with air for under $6000 right now 2 weeks at disney for 4 with free dining at a mod and air is coming in at about that.

luvthemouse71
05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Actually, most of the time I pay rack rate. I book what I can afford, make the deposit and then just pay off as I go. I don't have the time to worry about pin codes and such. Last year, I did call back and get the free dining applied to my reservation, but that's as far as I go.

luvmarypoppins
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Well I picked other

The Swan and Dolphin with a govt. discount is what we have used in the past

Also if we could we would cash in dh frequent flier miles for a room, even if it was with no discount. We are doing this in 3 weeks and are staying 3 nights at the Grand Floridian and 3 nights at the Beach Club for free. The miles transferred were at the full Disney rack rate I think.

In December 2 of our days at the Poly were at rack rate since we booked so last minute for that part of the trip. I was so not happy with a bad view, no balcony etc. It made enjoying it at that price really hard.

kaffinito
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I voted "other"

I do pay rack rate if I want to go during Spring Break or Christmas. but I downgrade resort levels.

But I wouldn't if it were value season or just regular season. I just wouldn't go.

MsPeggySue911
05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I am paying rack rate. I have no discounts, PINS or free dining for my upcoming trip to Disney. Staying at POR full price.

AJA
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
We would down grade to value and probably do a split stay with off site. We usually stay 10 days in Orlando so we have lots of "down time" from the parks. If we didn't have a discount we would do our first 5 nights on property (probably at POP) go gang busters in the park for five days, then, switch to a nice hotel off property and enjoy some down time and their amenities with half days at the parks.

sunshineNJ
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
We only do deluxe with a pin code or free dining. If there was neither we would stay at a moderate. We stayed at CBR last Aug with free dining for 9 nights. It was great. I think the moderates are beautiful. We are staying @ BC for the first time this summer ( free dining) because we want to try storma long Bay

bytheblood
05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Other - I am a DVC Member.

NYEmomma
05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Nothing would change for us. We'd still do the same vacation that we would do if we got a discount. We're paying the rack rate for our vacation this October because no discounts have covered our dates.

When we plan for a vacation, we plan because that's where we want to go/what we want to do, and we have saved the money in years prior to be able to take the vacation.

Trust me, it's not like we take extravagant vacations, but with DH's salary and our normal expenses, vacations are luxuries we can only afford every few years. And I most certainly do not think the prices on Disney's resorts are at all reasonable... I think they're way over-priced for what you're getting. But the magic of Disney is worth every penny of that extra cost *for us* and if we weren't able to go to WDW and stay on-site in the resort we wanted (moderates... some day I'd love to do a deluxe!!!) then we'll wait another year or two until we CAN afford doing Disney the way we like to.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Many years ago before all of these room discounts existed, we'd use our AAA card for a discount.

I'd call, tell them I'm an AAA member and book my room. sure it was a tiny discount but it was a discount.

Now if they eliminated all discounts, we'd go off site and rent a condo. We are actually discussing doing this for our next family trip anyways because we need more beds. If that happens it will be a very different feeling trip.

Claire&TheBoys
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I voted "other." It would probably drive us to purchase DVC. With our Florida resident or military rates or AP rates, we stay in the resorts reasonably and it would take many years to overcome the cost of the DVC contract. If we couldn't get those discounts, we'd seriously consider buying DVC.

Sue M
05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Nothing would change for us. We'd still do the same vacation that we would do if we got a discount. We're paying the rack rate for our vacation this October because no discounts have covered our dates.

When we plan for a vacation, we plan because that's where we want to go/what we want to do, and we have saved the money in years prior to be able to take the vacation.

Trust me, it's not like we take extravagant vacations, but with DH's salary and our normal expenses, vacations are luxuries we can only afford every few years. And I most certainly do not think the prices on Disney's resorts are at all reasonable... I think they're way over-priced for what you're getting. But the magic of Disney is worth every penny of that extra cost *for us* and if we weren't able to go to WDW and stay on-site in the resort we wanted (moderates... some day I'd love to do a deluxe!!!) then we'll wait another year or two until we CAN afford doing Disney the way we like to.

http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#2010 There may be discounts out for Oct, but it's to early yet.

Sue M
05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Actually, most of the time I pay rack rate. I book what I can afford, make the deposit and then just pay off as I go. I don't have the time to worry about pin codes and such. Last year, I did call back and get the free dining applied to my reservation, but that's as far as I go.

Wow, so if a 40% discount came out for WL, you wouldn't bother with it?

NYEmomma
05-01-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#2010 There may be discounts out for Oct, but it's to early yet.

:thumbsup2

You better believe I am stalking every rumor and rumor of a rumor like a madwoman!! I just emailed my mom on Friday about the May 2nd GP FD offering and told her we just had to keep biding our time... I figure we'll get SOMETHING whether it be FD or % discount sometime this summer (though we're checking in on Sun. of the Columbus Day weekend).

I'm not sweating it yet. I'd love a discount, it would make the trip so much more affordable for our whole family and we could put the money I've been putting away to something fun like a new patio set or doing some home improvement projects.

But we're going either way. A discount is the icing on the cake... the cake is still tasty regardless and I'd devour it even w/o the icing. But the icing's pretty yummy too. :)

DaniB
05-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Too bad you didn't make the second choice two different choices instead.

Now that so many people have voted, it would be interesting to see how many would stay off-site compared to how many would downgrade/change resorts.

TiggersBuddy
05-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I picked 'other'. We usually rent DVC points which works out better for us than any PIN code or % discount, AAA, Gov't rate, Free Dining promo, etc.

sjs314
05-02-2011, 07:25 AM

Very interesting looks like historically my dates will see nothing until end of July or early August and by then I doubt whether the catogory room I have booked will be available.

I already voted that I would still stay on-site and pay rack rate if no discounts were abvailable, I have always booked early to secure the resort and room type I want, getting a pin# this year was a bonus even if it was for only 20% off, since in previous years I did pay rack rate, unaware of any discounts being offered.

tinacaplan
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I have to say that, as a teacher, that might swing me in the direction of the Swan or Dolphin with a good deal, but I don't find the rack rate at the mods to be unreasonable. We were all set to pay it at CSR this past February. Are the mods way more expensive that comparable accommodations off property? Sure. But I don't mind paying a premium to stay on-site.

I cannot imagine even thinking of booking a deluxe without a discount, though. The prices are outrageous! :lmao: At that point, I could see how DVC could become more attractive.

Truthfully, the only thing that has stopped me from booking at the Swan or Dolphin is that we wouldn't get DME and we love that. When you combine that daily resort fee, along with the price to get from MCO to Disney, it makes those hotels a bit less of a deal.

housemouse
05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
The first couple of times we went to Disney were offsite trips because I refused to pay the rack rates on property. And they were wonderful trips. Then I found this board, discovered discount possibilities, and have spent the last 2 trips onsite, and have a 3rd one coming up in September with a 35% off discount. We have a wonderful time onsite too. Without the discounts it's strictly offsite for us. We have a good time either way. Actually sometimes I think it's a better trip when we're offsite because then we're more inclined to go to US and Seaworld, and sample some local activities rather than just doing Disney every day.

PIRATEGIRL007
05-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I paid rack rate once, never will do it again. As much as it would kill me I wouldn't go at all if rack rate was all they offered, but if that comes up we will go AP again or get AAA or something to get some off the room.

I have a friend that will be paying RR for thier first trip this summer, her DH fooled around and waited till the last minute to book and ended up spending the night in jail for a DUI and missed the offer. Let's just say he is STILL in the dog house to say the least. Everytime planning their trip comes up she gets this I could kill him look on her face. :goodvibes

Cin
05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=LilyWDW;40940571]I already am paying rack rate this year for our trip. No PINS and no public discounts have come for my dates... but we will go no matter what.

I would rather go less often and stay on site, then be able to go more often but have to stay else where.[/QUO

I totally agree. I had already planned a trip and figured on rack rates, now with the FD offer it is tempting to change my plans and save some money.

DisneyRunner2009
05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
We paid rack rate the first two trips, staying at POP. Then I learned of discount offerings and upgraded to a PORS on the third trip. We would be happy to upgrade, if the price difference is reasonable. The upcoming, planned trip, the cost to upgrade would be $600. That's a lot of money, so that won't be happening. We feel Disney rates are reasonable, depending on the season. So we choose to go during value season. Some rack rates, for Disney rooms, are even cheaper than hotel rooms around our neighborhood during the summer. I try not to pay full price whenever possible. It adds value.

keith-atl
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I would never pay rack rate at Disney. Disney's pricing is so out of line to what the average hotel costs.

I love Disney and love staying at Deluxe resorts, but honestly Disney's Deluxe resorts are no nicer than most 3 star hotels.

I know someone will say you are paying for theme and location. $400 to $500 a night for an Epcot resort is a bit unreal at rack rate.

Just my 2 cents.

luvthemouse71
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow, so if a 40% discount came out for WL, you wouldn't bother with it?Probably not, because I don't really go looking for discounts. From what I've been told you have to catch these things and I just don't have the time to keep track. Sure, if I hit it right, I might call and try to have it switched. But, i like to book once and not have to be on the phone with them constantly.

Addicted to Dopey
05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I would never pay rack rate at Disney. Disney's pricing is so out of line to what the average hotel costs.

I love Disney and love staying at Deluxe resorts, but honestly Disney's Deluxe resorts are no nicer than most 3 star hotels.

I know someone will say you are paying for theme and location. $400 to $500 a night for an Epcot resort is a bit unreal at rack rate.

Just my 2 cents.

You couldn't have said it better! I've been going to disney since 1986 (2-3 times a year) and i know a lot has changed in pricing but I'm sorry, a disney deluxe will never be worth $400 a night!

AmberHeartsDisney
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I would but i would stay deluxe lol

rie'smom
05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Probably not, because I don't really go looking for discounts. From what I've been told you have to catch these things and I just don't have the time to keep track. Sure, if I hit it right, I might call and try to have it switched. But, i like to book once and not have to be on the phone with them constantly.

You wouldn't have to be on the phone constantly. Look under special offers on the wdw home page when you first book, then check back every couple of months. You should see a discount if one becomes available, then call CRO and have it changed. No big deal

WDW LifeLong Fan
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
We would not change our resort choice.

luvthemouse71
05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
You wouldn't have to be on the phone constantly. Look under special offers on the wdw home page when you first book, then check back every couple of months. You should see a discount if one becomes available, then call CRO and have it changed. No big dealHmm, have to try that. But, I'm frugal in the rest of my life. I can afford to pay rack rate so it's no big tragedy if I have to. Just not a big deal to me.

larryz
05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
We have and would again, but would only go once every 4 - 5 years instead of every other year.

princesspeach
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Probably not, because I don't really go looking for discounts. From what I've been told you have to catch these things and I just don't have the time to keep track. Sure, if I hit it right, I might call and try to have it switched. But, i like to book once and not have to be on the phone with them constantly.

You don't have to catch anything. There posted on the special offers page of the disney web page. It may take 10 minutes to have it applied to your reservation. If you stay deluxe a 30% discount could save hundred or thousands of dollars depending on the length of stay. If you have time to post on this board I can't imagine that you don't have time to check the disney web page. :confused3 No offense but the money you save could pay for another trip.

PRaffen
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Agree 100%. Love Disney; love the deluxe resorts but I also love receiving value for my money.

luvthemouse71
05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
You don't have to catch anything. There posted on the special offers page of the disney web page. It may take 10 minutes to have it applied to your reservation. If you stay deluxe a 30% discount could save hundred or thousands of dollars depending on the length of stay. If you have time to post on this board I can't imagine that you don't have time to check the disney web page. :confused3 No offense but the money you save could pay for another trip.Like I said before, doesn't really matter to me. I can afford to pay the full price anyway and can easily swing another trip this year too. Not sure why people get so hyper about other people's finances and budgets. We all should do what works for us. For me, i don't like having to call back to adjust things. YMMV.

StuckInKS
05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
No. It just wouldn't be in the budget for us. If there were no discounts after 2011, we would go and stay offsite in 2012 and maybe the beginning of 2013, but after that the cost of tix alone would grow. After our upcoming trip we will have 4 kids that need child tickets. Our baby will turned 3 in Aug 2013, the same year our oldest will turn 10. And the one we are currently expecting will turn 3 at the end of 2014, the same year DS6 will turn 10. With 2 adults, 2 Disney Adults and 4 3-9 year olds, the cost of ticket alone will be enormous.

ETA: Personally, I think Disney has inflated their rack rates to accommodate the discounts (the same way they have inflated dining prices to accommodate FD). If Disney had never started giving discounts, I think their rates would be 30% to 40% lower. Therefore, I don't think they ever intend to stop discounts, especially during particular times of the year. Even if they intend to, I don't think they could. There are some great offsite choices (that are still pretty much onsite, like DTD). If I had to choose between two value rooms onsite for $250 or 2 rooms at Hilton in DTD for $150, I'd choose Hilton.

DrMomof3
05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I voted "other." It would probably drive us to purchase DVC. With our Florida resident or military rates or AP rates, we stay in the resorts reasonably and it would take many years to overcome the cost of the DVC contract. If we couldn't get those discounts, we'd seriously consider buying DVC.

I agree! We aren't Florida residents or military but we have APs.
We've debated buying DVC before but we've been so fortunate with room discounts. I think if Disney eliminated all discounts, we'd be more likely to finally buy DVC.

Amanda

SnipsNSnails
05-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I've stayed all 3 categories with my parents paying. Now that we have a young family and are paying for ourselves, we've chosen a mod with discount. I would have to say that with no discount we'd only be able to afford value probably. But we don't go often so with proper planning and saving we might be able to do it.

princesspeach
05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Like I said before, doesn't really matter to me. I can afford to pay the full price anyway and can easily swing another trip this year too. Not sure why people get so hyper about other people's finances and budgets. We all should do what works for us. For me, i don't like having to call back to adjust things. YMMV.

I wasn't getting hyper about your budget. I stay deluxe club level with deluxe dining etc. I don't care what others think. If I can save a few bucks I definetly do it. If your ok paying more for your room than you have to thats your choice. I like to upgrade if I get a good discount. I'm all for getting the most for my money.

Colleen27
05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
ETA: Personally, I think Disney has inflated their rack rates to accommodate the discounts (the same way they have inflated dining prices to accommodate FD). If Disney had never started giving discounts, I think their rates would be 30% to 40% lower. Therefore, I don't think they ever intend to stop discounts, especially during particular times of the year. Even if they intend to, I don't think they could. There are some great offsite choices (that are still pretty much onsite, like DTD). If I had to choose between two value rooms onsite for $250 or 2 rooms at Hilton in DTD for $150, I'd choose Hilton.

I agree. I think Disney has priced their resorts in such a way that they are wildly profitable when people book rack rate and still solidly profitable when people use discount codes. I don't think we'll ever see a total return to rack rate, just a scaling back of the discounts so that we're excited about 20 or 30% codes, free quick-service dining, free ticket upgrades, etc. rather than the spectacular deals they've run to fill rooms during this recession.

scjo68
05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I guess I should post my opinion too :laughing:.

If Disney got rid of discounts all together we would probably stay moderate like we used to instead of staying at the more expensive deluxe resorts like we have been in recent years. I guess I'm more curious to see if people who stay in rooms that can be well over $400-$500 a night would still continue to do so.

THis would be us exactly.
THe pins and codes have allowed us to enjoy Monorail Deluxes that we would never pay rack rate for. If no discounts are available, I would be willing to pay rack rate for a moderate. We always enjoyed POR/FQ and would have no problem going back.

Actually we did pay rack rate for POFQ once. We hadn't thought we could go that year due to schedules. We were able to fit a trip in our schedule but it was less than a month away by that time. THere were absolutely no discounts available then. Not even AAA rates were available. So it was pay rack rate or not go. It was value season though, so not too bad.

Sue M
05-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Very interesting looks like historically my dates will see nothing until end of July or early August and by then I doubt whether the catogory room I have booked will be available.

I already voted that I would still stay on-site and pay rack rate if no discounts were abvailable, I have always booked early to secure the resort and room type I want, getting a pin# this year was a bonus even if it was for only 20% off, since in previous years I did pay rack rate, unaware of any discounts being offered.

Maybe the cat. you booked won't be avail, maybe yes. Sometimes my cat. isn't available with the discount, but upgrading to the next level cost me the same with the discount. At WL I had booked standard view, but discount was for woods view or courtyard, so I upgraded to woods view for the same price as standard. I was good with that!

Sue M
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Like I said before, doesn't really matter to me. I can afford to pay the full price anyway and can easily swing another trip this year too. Not sure why people get so hyper about other people's finances and budgets. We all should do what works for us. For me, i don't like having to call back to adjust things. YMMV.

Just a suggestion- you could book using a Disney specialized TA, they charge nothing for their excellent services, and let them do all the looking for discounts! I have occas. used one, because I didn't have the time to watch for discounts. My TA often knew a day or 2 before discounts were released, and if it saved me money, automaticall applied it to my reservation, then e mailed me to tell me how much money I saved :goodvibes

luvthemouse71
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I have used a TA in the past and it wasn't a horrible experience. If I could find one that I was sure they knew what they doing- i would use one again. In my case, i have to book pretty far in advance so that doesn't help. I also find the phone system very user- unfriendly.