PDA

View Full Version : why do people pay to eat at Palo

ptmmg
04-30-2011, 03:24 PM
may sound dumb just cant understand why people pay to eat at Palo when the other restaurants are free what am I missing

bitlerzx4
04-30-2011, 03:26 PM
for the experience.

Makayna
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
"Adults only" dining experience, different menu, great views, better desserts. These are all of the things I've read here about Palo and Remy and I can't WAIT to get to try Palo in September!!! :cool1:

lilpooh108
04-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I was hyped up to go...and found the food pretty disappointing. I think it depends on what type of dining you're used to. We've been lucky enough to eat at many different places...and Palo to us (food wise) was average. The ambiance is nice. Pleasant evening out for the adults.

Makayna
04-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I was hyped up to go...and found the food pretty disappointing. I think it depends on what type of dining you're used to. We've been lucky enough to eat at many different places...and Palo to us (food wise) was average. The ambiance is nice. Pleasant evening out for the adults.

If you eat dinner at Palo, and you have kids, how do your kids eat? Do the clubs take them there? What about your teens/tweens? Are they on their own?

jac1976
04-30-2011, 03:37 PM
My mom and I ate at Palo on our recent cruise and it was wonderful. The food was much better than in the main dining rooms, it was nice to be able to have a nice slow dinner without the kids begging to leave, and overall the ambiance was just awesome. It was completely worth the extra charge.

We were going to have the kids eat in the main dining room anyway, but then a CM called and asked if they could use our table in the MDR for another family that wanted to eat during the early seating that night. We said okay and the kids ate room service. They loved eating in the room. After they ate we took them to the kids room until after we were finished.

kcashner
04-30-2011, 03:55 PM
If you eat dinner at Palo, and you have kids, how do your kids eat? Do the clubs take them there? What about your teens/tweens? Are they on their own?

That is your decision; there are a lot of options. First, depending on your Palo reservation time, you can take your kids to the regular dinner--just have a beverage yourself, but have the kids fed and enjoy the show in the restaurant if applicable. If the kids are of an age that you consider appropriate, you can send them to the dining room on their own--the servers will take very good care of them. You can choose to place them in the kid programming during the time that dinner is served (note--this is not usually the same as your dinner time). Tell the CMs that they DO need to eat as the kids have a choice to sit down for dinner or keep playing. You can get them something from deck 9. You can order room service for them.

mhsjax
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Because frankly, the food in the dining rooms just isn't that good.

We eat at many expensive restaurants, or did before kids. Another poster eluded to it not being good if you are used to these types of restaurants. True on some levels, but not all. Like I said, the food is much better there than in the dining rooms.

latinqt
04-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't know how much Palo is now. It used to be $15.00. Never went myself. Would rather be with the grandchildren. I may send the parents though.

OKW Lover
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
may sound dumb just cant understand why people pay to eat at Palo when the other restaurants are free what am I missing

Well, the other restaurants really aren't free since they really are included in the cost of the cruise.

Overall, this comes down to a question of how much do you want to pay for a meal. Do you always eat at the cheapest restaurant? Or do you consider quality as well? For us, we don't mind paying the premium for Palo for one meal on our cruise because we appreciate the excellent food and service. Not that we don't enjoy dining in the regular dining rooms, but we like to do a special nice meal occasionally.

branv
04-30-2011, 04:15 PM

This is our reason as well. In fact, we no longer eat in the dining rooms at all for mostly this reason. Also in part b/c I don't enjoy making small talk with strangers while I'm also trying to eat, and the dining rooms are much louder and more chaotic. Palo is quiet, romantic, evenly paced with amazing service. Palo's food isn't four star by any means, but we feel it's definitely WAY more solid than the dining rooms. Now don't get me wrong...I've had some dishes that were just okay, and one that was down right bad (scallops that tasted freezer burned and gritty). But overall it's far more enjoyable for us than main dining.

rmcildw2m
04-30-2011, 04:18 PM
It is just something more for you to enjoy while on the ship.

kcashner
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Why do you choose to go to Olive Garden instead of McDonalds, or Ruth Chris instead of Outback?

Palo offers better food quality than the normal dining rooms, and WAY better atmosphere. Close your eyes for a minute in the normal dining room and listen to the noise level. It is unreal! Frankly, the regular dining rooms used to be better, but that's another story.

Palo is much more quiet, you'll have tons of personal attention, etc. Whether that is worth it in terms of money or in terms of what you will miss in the main dining room is a personal choice. There is no way to go to Palo, regardless of the length of your cruise, and not miss something in the main dining rooms.

Magic3forme
04-30-2011, 04:52 PM
It is our "date" night on the cruise! 2 hours of peace n quiet!! :) and not to mention we really enjoy the food. :) did I mention how relaxing it is.

Our kids get room service that night, and they love that part. our server last year told us to send the kids to the dining room that night, she would take good care of them.

to each is own, but we love going to Palo for dinner.

Silverfox97
04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
We eat at Palo for experience and different food. We like the personal & individual experience, and different food. Our DD 4 looks forward to Palo night - she gets to eat pizza while watching a movie on Ariel View out on Deck 9, then we drop her off at the kids club for our (usual) 6pm reservations. We have her picked up by 8pm and we go to a show together as a family. We *RARELY* put her in the kids club (5 hours total on our 5 night cruises), and she loves the kids club, so she looks forward to it.

Plus, once you have been there a few times, you have "old favorites" :rotfl:

Anal Annie
04-30-2011, 05:02 PM

No kids
Date night (ie table for TWO rather than 6 or 8)
No kids
Nicer atmosphere
No kids
Better service
No kids
Better food / different selections
No kids

Guess it depends on how old your kids are. Last time we went our DS was 10 or 11. The kids clubs eat really EARLY and we're late diners...I think our Palo ressie was for about 8:00 so he just chose to get an assortment from up by the pool (burger, pizza, fruit, cookies etc) and bring it to the room. He ate in front of the TV while we went to Palo then when he was done he went to the theater to see a movie. He could've gone to the club but he chose the movie instead. If he was a lot younger he'd probably have eaten with the club. Since he's an only child he's used to doing things alone so that kind of stuff doesn't seem to bother him.

mesaboy2
04-30-2011, 05:12 PM

By similar logic, why do people go anywhere other than McD's when they eat out?

Not equating the DCL included fare with McD's--just making a point.

tvguy
04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

We eat at many expensive restaurants, or did before kids. Another poster eluded to it not being good if you are used to these types of restaurants. True on some levels, but not all. Like I said, the food is much better there than in the dining rooms.

And for us, we so enjoyed the atmosphere and the food in the dining rooms, we were afraid we were going to miss something there if we went to Palo.

tvguy
04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
No kids
No kids
Nicer atmosphere
No kids
Better service
No kids
No kids

Guess it depends on how old your kids are. Last time we went our DS was 10 or 11. The kids clubs eat really EARLY and we're late diners...I think our Palo ressie was for about 8:00 so he just chose to get an assortment from up by the pool (burger, pizza, fruit, cookies etc) and bring it to the room. He ate in front of the TV while we went to Palo then when he was done he went to the theater to see a movie. He could've gone to the club but he chose the movie instead. If he was a lot younger he'd probably have eaten with the club. Since he's an only child he's used to doing things alone so that kind of stuff doesn't seem to bother him.

:lmao: And we are in the group of folks who go on a cruise to be WITH our kids. When they were in High School we might see them for 90 minutes or so a day between school, sports, homework. Then they went away to college and we might see them for one weekend every 6 or 7 weeks. Cruises are our time to be together 24/7.

LAWalz23
04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Because we want to! It is a nice change of pace as opposed to the regular dining rooms.

TDC Nala
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
The food is generally better, there is a better wine list, and nobody under 18 is allowed.

everafter1
04-30-2011, 06:05 PM
We love the main dining rooms, but a palo night is also really nice, especially on longer cruises. It's so quiet at Palo and the service is great. Plus, it's usually just my husband and I that sail, and while we love getting to know our table mates, it's nice to have a night for just us. We also sail near our anniversary date, so that's part of why we do Palo also... Plus that chocolate souffle is great:goodvibes

NoodlesMom
04-30-2011, 06:46 PM
We loved the food! I don't have anything bad to say about the main dinning rooms but we really enjoyed our meal at Palo. The reason we love DCL is because we all get the vacation that we want. Whether it be together every minute of the day or apart so that the kids can enjoy other kids and we can enjoy adult company.

luvavacation
04-30-2011, 07:17 PM
For my husband and I, we like to have the brunch at Palo, but have never had the dinner.

We really enjoy our dinners with our children and our servers, and we have always loved the food in the main dining rooms! We also very rarely go out to eat, maybe two or three times a year, and to a place like Chili's. I guess since our palates are not used to fancy, expensive restaurants, the main dining rooms please us very well!

Plus I am not cooking, so that just might make the food taste even better!

I will say, though, that the Palo brunch is really fantastic, with a different variety of foods (I discovered smoked trout at brunch, and loved it!) that are actually spiced and flavored. I tend to enjoy the food at Palo Brunch more than my DH does.

The food in the main dining rooms tends to be non-spiced, I assume so it doesn't bother the palates of those (like my DH!) that are used to more bland food. I solve this by bringing a bottle of Chipotle Tabasco and hot Hungarian Paprika with me. I once had a server from Thailand that even gave me a bottle of a very spicy sauce from his home country, and that really added flavor to the main dining room food!

If you aren't sure about going to Palo for dinner, because you might enjoy your servers and the dining atmosphere too much, try Palo Brunch. I think it is a great compromise!

jcarwash
04-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Because Palo is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. It's so worth it.

And because the $20 per person is a gratuity for the server and staff that you won't be tipping at the end of your cruise. You can add on to that amount if you wish (we did) but that is what the charge really is.

As for what to do with your kids, the Oceaneer's clubs have dinner each night. Check your navigator or ask the club staff. They can spend time in the clubs (like you can get them out anyway) and have dinner there.

Another alternative is ordering room service for them.

Anal Annie
04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
:lmao: And we are in the group of folks who go on a cruise to be WITH our kids. When they were in High School we might see them for 90 minutes or so a day between school, sports, homework. Then they went away to college and we might see them for one weekend every 6 or 7 weeks. Cruises are our time to be together 24/7.

OK, well, let me expand on the no kid thing. As a family with only 1 child, while we love to be with our DS on vacation too it's ALL THE OTHER PEOPLES kids that I enjoy getting away from.:rolleyes1 Sometimes there is just a lot of commotion going on (more than what we're used to in a 1 child home). No crying babies, no "you take her this time", no tantrums, no strollers blocking the aisles, no crayons & toys & gameboys, no poopy diapers to smell, nobody correcting or fussing with their kids etc.

Also, at home, because it's ALWAYS just the 3 of us we NEVER get a "date night". We don't like to leave DS13 at home alone while we go out. Doesn't seem fair to him. Whereas on the ship he has plenty to do to keep him occupied and he's fine since he doesn't really feel alone.

Cerberus9
04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I really don't think it's necessary for anyone to justify why they might want to spend a few hours away from their children in order to have a nice dinner in a more "grown up" setting. Sheesh.

FJS961
04-30-2011, 08:31 PM
No kids
No kids
Nicer atmosphere
No kids
Better service
No kids
No kids

EXACTLY! :thumbsup2

Husurdady
04-30-2011, 09:12 PM

HEY ! Just cruise with DCL 10 times and on the 11th cruise PALO is free. :thumbsup2

DaveH
04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
On our fifth cruise we did a Palo dinner. It was good, but did not live up to the hype here on the DIS. It is a much different experience than the main dinning rooms. It was far less rush and even more personal service. My understanding the fees are for tips for the folks in Palo. Our next cruise is on the Dream and do not plan to do Palo. Looking at the menu for Remy's they will have to pay me to eat there. The menu is no where near my taste.

BriarRosie
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
The food is better, and it's nice to have an adults-only meal. Palo was better than my main dining room food on the Wonder cruise I took in December.

I did both Palo brunch and dinner, and both were wonderful.

Candace
04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
"My mom and I ate at Palo on our recent cruise and it was wonderful. The food was much better than in the main dining rooms, it was nice to be able to have a nice slow dinner without the kids begging to leave, and overall the ambiance was just awesome. It was completely worth the extra charge."

Ditto!

Aajay
04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
We went on a 5 day cruise last July on the Wonder and ended up eating at Palo every night plus brunch on the sea day. I put our name on the waiting list everyday and no one else wanted the spot so we took it. But my reason is i have tons of food allergies and it is way easier to get a nice meal in Palo than the regular dinning room because the chef is right there to make everything as you order it.

Chaosfilms
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Our group went to a Palo dinner and brunch, It was 3 families, plus two singles and the 3 families had kids. We had a great time in the main dining rooms, but since most of us hadn't cruised we didn't want to miss out on Palo. The food is better, because it is prepared when ordered (like a fancy restaurant or an Olive Garden), not prepared in advance, like the main dining rooms. This keeps things from being over cooked, (like the lobster I had on my cruise)

My wife and I take our kids to nice restaurants, sushi bars, etc. and they behave, but sometimes it is nice to have an adult dinner, with adult conversation topics, especially our group of 9, since it's hard to coordinate our schedules.

I don't think I would need to eat at Palo dinner again, but I did enjoy the brunch and will book there on our next cruise.

Steve
:cool2:

Belle83
05-01-2011, 01:11 AM
When I went on the disney magic, our family of 7 was seated with a couple on their honeymoon. They ate at Palo one night, which I'm sure was a nice way to escape eating with strangers/kids on a honeymoon :)

Cousin Orville
05-01-2011, 08:17 AM
The food is better.

mmmears
05-01-2011, 08:22 AM
On our first cruise (a 3-night) we didn't go to Palo -- had no desire to miss the main dining rooms. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything.

Now that we are going again, and for a longer cruise, we think it will be fun to try something new. So we'll pay a little extra and hope for a special experience at Palo.

But if you don't have any desire to go there, don't feel like you're missing out on something -- we had a great cruise without dining there and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on our "regular" dinners anyway.:)

lbgraves
05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
And for us, we so enjoyed the atmosphere and the food in the dining rooms, we were afraid we were going to miss something there if we went to Palo.

Back when you cruised on DCL the food was better than it is now in the main dining rooms. They started messing with / changing the menus after the 2008 EBPC repo and since then I don't like much if anything on the regular rotation menus, which was all we had on the 3 night cruise. Until our 2010 cruise I always had a difficult time narrowing down my choice to one or two entrees. Now I have a difficult time deciding the best of the worst. We didn't go to Palo until our second cruise and have gone each cruise but the last for dinner and brunch every time. We met Sasha at Palo in 2004 and also met Marco as our assistant server that week in the main dining room. Each year we have enjoyed going to Palo to see both of them usually with friends.

BeckyKay
05-02-2011, 08:50 PM
The food at Palo is much better than the main dining halls. The service is the best on the ship. And, the prices are less than a chain (i.e. Outback). We just came back from a 7 night and enjoyed Palo so much we had dinner there twice. The menu doesn't offer me much so I ordered the same thing twice. The atmosphere is calm and I appreciate the dress code though not all followed it.

The food is not 4 star but being on a ship, you are not going to get the day's fresh catch. Well, you could, but that is an entirely different experience and not one offered by major cruiselines.

During our day to day, the DH and I have very little time together. Neither of us have the time we would like with our son. The cruise allowed us to enjoy time with our son and each other and we are very grateful :)

FJS961
05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
The food at Palo is much better than the main dining halls. The service is the best on the ship.

The food is not 4 star but being on a ship, you are not going to get the day's fresh catch. Well, you could, but that is an entirely different experience and not one offered by major cruiselines.

The food IS much better at Palo than the main dining rooms - hands down. The atmosphere, service and pacing is much better too.

We have cruised the Dream and Magic within the last 2 months. I was very unimpressed with the overall food quality in the main dining rooms on the Magic but have not sampled the ones on the Dream yet (did Palo/Remy exclusively on a 3 night). The atmosphere was loud, hectic and 'cafeteria-like' in the MDRs. They did provide some nice presentation of some of the dishes but it was just 'so-so' for us. I really dislike how they will serve you pancakes/waffles, or the kids plates and then several minutes later come with the syrup / ketsup ... anyone else find this consistently annoying?? It happened everyday. The bread service was atrocious - STALE /HARD bread in main rooms BUT in Palo was FRESH (night and day difference)

I don't know how they do it, but Remy is 5 star quality - about the freshest ingredients you will find anywhere - Victoria and Alberts at sea.

ludari
05-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I love Palos and I try to eat there as often as I can. I do it for the service, atmosphere and the great food. Brunch is my fav.

Makayna
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
This is going to sound like a stupid and ignorant question, but does anyone ever feel stupid about not being able to pronounce certain things on the menu and/or know what exactly they are? I know, I know... I need to be more of a food expert, I guess. And normally, I don't have a hard time and can fake my way through a lot of things, but looking at their menu online, I must say that some of the dishes, I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce them, since they're primarily in Italian. :o

katespade
05-02-2011, 11:34 PM
This is going to sound like a stupid and ignorant question, but does anyone ever feel stupid about not being able to pronounce certain things on the menu and/or know what exactly they are? I know, I know... I need to be more of a food expert, I guess. And normally, I don't have a hard time and can fake my way through a lot of things, but looking at their menu online, I must say that some of the dishes, I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce them, since they're primarily in Italian. :o

That's when you just point and laugh. I'm a complete foodie, but that doesn't mean I speak tons of languages. I just say "Can I please have this?" and point at what I want and giggle nervously lol. They usually laugh at me and then tell me how to pronounce it. No biggie.

lark
05-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Just say it confidently. With Italian and French, pick your best guess and then exaggerate it. Don't try to make it sound American. If you exaggerate almost like a charicature or something you will often be more right than wrong.

Or if that's not your style just read enough of the English pronunciation to order in English. Like if you see funghi, give it a try. Fffoooongeeee. Say it with a smile and like you think an Italian should sound and you will be close enough. Or just read the description and say, "mushroom pizza".

Makayna
05-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Just say it confidently. With Italian and French, pick your best guess and then exaggerate it. Don't try to make it sound American. If you exaggerate almost like a charicature or something you will often be more right than wrong.

Or if that's not your style just read enough of the English pronunciation to order in English. Like if you see funghi, give it a try. Fffoooongeeee. Say it with a smile and like you think an Italian should sound and you will be close enough. Or just read the description and say, "mushroom pizza".

Well, I took French for 4 years of HS and 3 semesters of College, and all I remember how to say is "Voulez-Vous Couche Avec Moi Se Soir!" :rotfl:

Anal Annie
05-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Well, I took French for 4 years of HS and 3 semesters of College, and all I remember how to say is "Voulez-Vous Couche Avec Moi Se Soir!" :rotfl:

:lmao: You're doing better than me!! :rotfl2: I only took 2 years in HS and a semester in college...I'm getting really nervous because we're going to Paris for 4 nights before our Med cruise & I'm paranoid that I'll order something to eat that is mostly raw meat or something with an anchovy in it!!:rotfl:

weluvdisney5
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Kinda wondered the same thing until we ate at Palo on our last cruise. It was magnificent and worth the extra 15pp. - not sure if the price has increased.

Gail

MommaMouse411
05-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I must not have good taste because I really enjoyed the food in the dining rooms. ;)

Palos is just a pleasant experience..food is good...and its quiet..although I only did the brunch so I cannot comment on dinner..next cruise I am doing dinner (and I did it alone)...I took my kids to eat at Parrot Cay before dropping them off at the nursery.

also will be dropping the $75 to do Remy on my Dream Cruise next year..

lark
05-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I guess my though is for $20x2, might as well give it a try. The cruise is so expensive that this almost seems like a pretty small extra expense, relatively speaking.

"Got Disney"
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I like the Brunch....I prefer it over dinner. Its a really nice brunch and we bring the kids breakfast in bed that day from the buffet or we order room service for them. They get up and head out. They are 14 and 17 but when they were younger we fed them and brought them to the clubs. Than we had our brunch. We like dinner together.

Disney Dreams
05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
The service,
The atmosphere.
The beauty.
The "specialness."
The food.

The experience.

..And because the $20 per person is a gratuity for the server and staff... that is what the charge really is.

This is not true. We very specifically asked and were told that only a few dollars goes to the server. The majority of it is for the cruise line, not the server.

As for the tip, we figured out what we thought the meal would cost us in a similar restaurant on land and tipped accordingly.

- Dreams (who can't wait to eat in Palo again in just a few short weeks :cool1:)

Maltese5
05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Palo is wonderful. We would eat there every day if they allowed it. We will be enjoying Brunch & Dinner again on the Magic on our upcoming Med cruise in May! Can't wait!

drparoo
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I"d pay someone $20 right at this moment just to bring me one of those chocolate souffles........

ALK$Disney
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
So is it really hard to get reservations for Palo? What are my chances since I am a first time cruiser and I am at the bottom of the list? We are going on the 15-night Hawaii, so I guess since there are more nights, there may be more openings...would that be correct?

lark
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
So is it really hard to get reservations for Palo? What are my chances since I am a first time cruiser and I am at the bottom of the list? We are going on the 15-night Hawaii, so I guess since there are more nights, there may be more openings...would that be correct?

Very hard to believe you won't get in on a 15-night cruise.

I went online for an upcoming cruise when the first-time cruiser window opened (75 days) and had my choice of times for 3 of 5 nights. Even a couple of days later, there were still a few times. And it was a sold out cruise.

FJS961
05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I"d pay someone $20 right at this moment just to bring me one of those chocolate souffles........

that post made my day ...

ok, exaggerated, but it did produce a snort laugh :lmao:

FJS961
05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Palo is wonderful. We would eat there every day if they allowed it.

If you are concierge, they will. When we sailed without the kids we didn't have a single dinner in the MDR's, only Palo and once Remy.