PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of checking in online so early?

Lights_Out
04-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I can check in online right now, but is there a reason I shouldn't (or should)?

Thanks

imthatgirl
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I do it becaue it gets me excited:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Also for the last two trips I have checked in 10 days before letting them know I would be there at 9AM. Both trips I had a room waiting for me ready for me. Most likely it's coincidence, but even the smallest chance to extend my vacation will ahve me checking in as early as possible.

BAMLuvMickey
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I do it becaue it gets me excited:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Also for the last two trips I have checked in 10 days before letting them know I would be there at 9AM. Both trips I had a room waiting for me ready for me. Most likely it's coincidence, but even the smallest chance to extend my vacation will ahve me checking in as early as possible.

ME TOO!! I got so excited the last time I went and did online check in. I felt like I was one step closer to vacation!...And I too, had my room waiting for me at about 11 am...
That and I didnt have to wait in that HUGE line that was at the front desk....:goodvibes

Lights_Out
04-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Alrighty! Thanks :)

I was just wondering if there was a reason not to.

I guess I'll just go ahead and do it!!! :goodvibes:

Aisling
04-30-2011, 01:09 AM
That and I didnt have to wait in that HUGE line that was at the front desk....:goodvibes

I never checked in online, so please excuse this possibly silly question, but where/how do you check in at the hotel when you've checked-in online? I mean, don't you still have to go to the desk for the room number and keycards? Thanks for the info!

squirrel
04-30-2011, 01:19 AM
I never checked in online, so please excuse this possibly silly question, but where/how do you check in at the hotel when you've checked-in online? I mean, don't you still have to go to the desk for the room number and keycards? Thanks for the info!

At the front desk you will see a sign with a computer on it. That is the online check in desk. You will get your KTTW card, park maps and other info in a folder. They have the KTTW cards ready to go and you hardly spend any time at the desk.

If it's your first visit and you aren't arriving early in the morning, I would probably not do the online check in. The CM's don't tell you much as they figure you have already been to WDW before.

I also received a room early in the morning when I used online check in. We had a red-eye flight. We however did not get the one room request-not 50's section. I had them move us the next evening.

kaligal
04-30-2011, 03:48 AM
It is supposed to be a faster check-in when you arrive.

IME, it was (more often than not) a longer wait than regular check-in.

lsenquiz
04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
We always stay at a home away from home resort(BWV) and I love check-in. The welcome home speech always kicks our trip off perfectly. Do you miss getting that when you check in online? I like the idea of potientially having a room waiting for me when I get there but don't want to miss it.

kaligal
04-30-2011, 05:08 AM
We always stay at a home away from home resort(BWV) and I love check-in. The welcome home speech always kicks our trip off perfectly. Do you miss getting that when you check in online? I like the idea of potientially having a room waiting for me when I get there but don't want to miss it.They'll still say, "Welcome Home" when you pick up your keys.

I wouldn't miss it because I don't like it. I'm not at home. I just left home. I'm really glad to NOT be at home and to be at Disney World. It seems forced, phony and very insincere. I'd much rather they said, "Welcome to Saratoga Springs!" or whatever. When they say, "Welcome home!" to me, I have to do the weak-smile thing.

But they still say it, which is good news for people who DO like it, like you! :)

Mike's Minnie
04-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Are you able to choose where you want your room? We stay at POP & I like being on the top floor. No pitter patter of feet over head:). We also like being near the computer pool. We've never had a problem getting what we want when we check in at the resort but PP I like the feeling like the vacation is that much closer & I'm organizer freak

creativeamanda
04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
You know, I think online checkin has its merits in its time. I usually do online checkin, because I know whatever room they give me, I'll be happy with it. If you plan on taking the room they give you (provided they assign you the one you paid for--there are reports of people paying for preferred and getting standard), then online checkin is great. But if you have a request that you must have, then online checkin is not for you. You are best off with regular checkin.

creativeamanda
04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Are you able to choose where you want your room? We stay at POP & I like being on the top floor. No pitter patter of feet over head:). We also like being near the computer pool. We've never had a problem getting what we want when we check in at the resort but PP I like the feeling like the vacation is that much closer & I'm organizer freak

You cannot make a room request with online checkin. To make a room request, you need to call Disney and talk to a cast member.

BAMLuvMickey
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
You know, I think online checkin has its merits in its time. I usually do online checkin, because I know whatever room they give me, I'll be happy with it. If you plan on taking the room they give you (provided they assign you the one you paid for--there are reports of people paying for preferred and getting standard), then online checkin is great. But if you have a request that you must have, then online checkin is not for you. You are best off with regular checkin.

I agree with the regular check in if you have a special request(esp. for rooms), I usually do the family suite at ASMu. I don't care how far from the food court or busses it is as long as I have a place for my head at night.:)

GovieMom
04-30-2011, 09:36 AM
It is supposed to be a faster check-in when you arrive.

IME, it was (more often than not) a longer wait than regular check-in.

I'll add an example to this. Last year we checked into the Poly around 9:15 a.m., and went thru regular check-in. I noticed another family at the online check-in desk at the same time. We got checked in, told our room was ready and our requests were met. We received our card keys, brochures, etc., leis around our necks, and were all done in just a few minutes. As we were leaving I noticed the other family was still at online checking, with another family now waiting behind them.

newserenity
04-30-2011, 09:38 AM
This is a little OT, but when I click online check in on the Disney World Resort site it takes me to my DINING reservations! :confused3 I am a bit annoyed with this. Anyone know what is up?

Thanks!

dmccarty
04-30-2011, 09:50 AM
We have done online check in at least twice. The first time we used the service was right after it was made available.

We like it because we have done all of the registration before we get to WDW and all we have to do is to get our "stuff" from the desk. It is a big step in getting to vacation. :) It is MUCH faster. The only "problem" we have had was the first time and the CM at the desk did not know how to handle online check in. The CMs asked us if it was our first visit was well as "Welcome Home" which we like. :thumbsup2 Tis true too since we are DVC owners. :lmao:

Online check in is not a guarantee to get you in faster. There can always be a problem with your reservation or the group in front of you. We had a problem with one of our room keys at check in. I think it was missing or had a name misspelled and it took a few minutes to resolve. It still was far quicker than being in the regular check in line.

I noticed in our last stay that there was always a long line for regular check in vs online. There no guarantee that when YOU get to the online check in line that there are not 20 other DISers in front of you and the regular line is empty. :lmao:

Later,
Dan

larryz
04-30-2011, 09:57 AM
that and i didnt have to wait in that huge line that was at the front desk....:goodvibes

this ^^^^^^ !!!

Karpkg
04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Problems we had were split reservations. Our DP on day of checkout quit working and we were stranded. We had to cut our park day short, go to our new resort, check in and use the new KTTW cards for our lunch that day. I had checked in online for both places before our trip, and their computers upon checkout automatically transferred the dining plan from our old cards to the new cards.

That ruined our day- had to eat lunch 2 hrs later at the resort which forced me to cancel and change our ADR's for a later dinner, our group decided to just unpack at that point so we missed park time.

TDC Nala
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
The idea is that the documents and your keys are waiting for you when you arrive, there is a separate line, and it should take less time at the front desk. In practice, sometimes that results in less time waiting, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the resorts I have been to will take some regular check-in guests in the separate line, and they do sometimes have to explain things to guests who have done online check-in or there may be a problem. Nor does online check-in guarantee that your room will be ready early.

sjs314
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
In theory the online check-in is suppose to eleviate having to wait in line for a long time. IF you have done online check-in , your welcome package will be ready and you just "grab & go". Delays result when guest have questions that the CM must take the time to answer or if the guest has special requests and holds up the line trying to have these requests that were not met when the room was assigned.

So if you will be happy with any room you happen to be assigned to,and you have no special requests or you have no questions about the layout of the resort etc. then by all means do the online check-in and grab your welcome packet and go......other wise wait and check-in once you arrive at the resort and not hold up the online check-in line.

McTyee
04-30-2011, 12:23 PM
They'll still say, "Welcome Home" when you pick up your keys.

I wouldn't miss it because I don't like it. I'm not at home. I just left home. I'm really glad to NOT be at home and to be at Disney World. It seems forced, phony and very insincere. I'd much rather they said, "Welcome to Saratoga Springs!" or whatever. When they say, "Welcome home!" to me, I have to do the weak-smile thing.

But they still say it, which is good news for people who DO like it, like you! :)

:lmao:

hookedonears
04-30-2011, 01:18 PM
One reason I've been leery about checking in online early is because the Resorts will occasionally give guest complimentary upgrades. We were upgraded from garden view to lagoon view at the Poly once and we checked in a little bit later that time. More than likely, that had nothing to do with it, but that's why we don't do it.

imthatgirl
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
One reason I've been leery about checking in online early is because the Resorts will occasionally give guest complimentary upgrades. We were upgraded from garden view to lagoon view at the Poly once and we checked in a little bit later that time. More than likely, that had nothing to do with it, but that's why we don't do it.

On my last trip this month we had a standard view at Wilderness Lodge booked. We got a complimentary upgrade to a courtyard view, which was actually a bay lake view.
I don't think it matters when you check in, your rooms are assigned to you long before you step on property.

hookedonears
04-30-2011, 01:35 PM
On my last trip this month we had a standard view at Wilderness Lodge booked. We got a complimentary upgrade to a courtyard view, which was actually a bay lake view.
I don't think it matters when you check in, your rooms are assigned to you long before you step on property.

I've heard the room assignment process starts several days in advance. I'm not sure how upgrades are done. Maybe there done when the rooms are assigned. I just don't know.

sjs314
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

The rooms are assigned before you check-in but if you wait to check-in until you arrive it is easier to ask the CM if your requests have been granted and if not to have them check to see if a room to meet your requests is available before the room key is cut.

If you do online check-in the key will already have been cut and in your welcome package so changes take additional time and holds up the online check-in line.

imthatgirl
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
The rooms are assigned before you check-in but if you wait to check-in until you arrive it is easier to ask the CM if your requests have been granted and if not to have them check to see if a room to meet your requests is available before the room key is cut.

If you do online check-in the key will already have been cut and in your welcome package so changes take additional time and holds up the online check-in line.

I was just commenting on the possibility of an upgrade, room requests is a whole different thing.

nkereina
04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I've heard from others that you're less likely to get all your room requests met with online check-in than you are with regular check-in. Not sure if it's because online checkin doesn't translate your requests, or if it's because you can re-iterate you requests to the CM at regular check-in or what.

BUT I can see where on-line check-in would be good if you want to check-in early and don't have any room requests. I think you'd be more likely to have a room available.

I have never done online check-in but have been able to check-in early each time and the wait hasn't been bad. I also have had my room requests granted thus far. So it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

sjs314
04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
I was just commenting on the possibility of an upgrade, room requests is a whole different thing.

I see that now sorry. We lucked out once and were given an upgrade because our room was not ready. We checked in about 11 am and the CM told us it should be ready in about an hour so we went to lunch then returned it still was not ready no biggy was before 3pm anyhow so we went to Epcot and returned about 4pm and it still was not ready but the CM upgraded us to CL. That will never happen again in a million years :lmao:

mickeyluv'r
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Online check-in doesn't really save time.

I think the REAL reason for it is to push you to put your credit card on file for room charging. If for some reason you opt out of it at online check-in time - they can push it on you one MORE time when you arrive. If you know you do NOT want to put a cc on file, then my take is you should NOT use online check-in. Pretty sure they know that people who put a cc on auto-charge spend more.

TLinden16
04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm going to move this to our resort board.

fitgirl36
04-30-2011, 04:03 PM
They'll still say, "Welcome Home" when you pick up your keys.

Too funny!!!:lmao:

Baltazar
04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
The only good reason to do online check in is to speed up the check in process.

It does nothing to improve your chances of getting a room on arrival.

Rooms are assigned by computer and it is blind to requests.
It is up to the cast member at check in to read requests.

Shadowcat70
04-30-2011, 04:56 PM

I think the REAL reason for it is to push you to put your credit card on file for room charging. If for some reason you opt out of it at online check-in time - they can push it on you one MORE time when you arrive. If you know you do NOT want to put a cc on file, then my take is you should NOT use online check-in. Pretty sure they know that people who put a cc on auto-charge spend more.

Just so I understand correctly, Online check-in asks if you want to put a CC on file, but they don't force you to do so, right?

My family and I won't be arriving to the resort until at least 7pm, so we are guessing it wouldn't do any good to request a specific location because most of the rooms will already be assigned by that time of day.

With as busy as it is looking to be that weekend, online check in should save us a bit more time at the front desk, but if we have to put down a CC number to do so, we would rather not use that service.

sjs314
04-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Just so I understand correctly, Online check-in asks if you want to put a CC on file, but they don't force you to do so, right?

My family and I won't be arriving to the resort until at least 7pm, so we are guessing it wouldn't do any good to request a specific location because most of the rooms will already be assigned by that time of day.

With as busy as it is looking to be that weekend, online check in should save us a bit more time at the front desk, but if we have to put down a CC number to do so, we would rather not use that service.

Leaving a cc has always been optional , but I have always done it just so if I should do room service or something that has a charge to it , with a cc attached to your room , you can do express check-out and not have to stop at the desk when leaving to settle your bill.

I am considering not leaving one this trip since I have read some say if on the DP they have had incidents where the meal was charged to the KTTW card and not deducted from their DP credits,they forgot to check the reciept at the restaurant and they later had to stop at the desk to get it all straighten out.

Lumiere Lover
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I think online check in has two benefits. You get super excited because you are that much closer to beginning your vacation, and it goes much quicker at resort check-in. Everything is pretty much ready for you. It goes fast!!

CnZielinski
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree with some of the previous posts:

1. It's fun and makes your trip seem closer!
2. We've done online check-in all but once, and the one time we didn't was the only time our room wasn't ready... coincidence maybe but ya never know!

Mike&AllisMom
04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I can check in online right now, but is there a reason I shouldn't (or should)?

Thanks

I do it because it is thrilling :cheer2: It makes me feel like my trip is that much closer. And hopefully I can get early check in too :)

Mike&AllisMom
04-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I am considering not leaving one this trip since I have read some say if on the DP they have had incidents where the meal was charged to the KTTW card and not deducted from their DP credits,they forgot to check the reciept at the restaurant and they later had to stop at the desk to get it all straighten out.

This happened to me on our last trip!! I was pretty annoyed because I didn't pay enough attention, but mainly I blame it on the fact that it was our first trip. I will be checking our receipts very carefully this trip but I did leave a credit card with our online check in - we leave next Saturday!! The convenience is worth it to me to be able to charge things to the room.

lflax
04-30-2011, 07:51 PM
What if you are traveling with another party? We want nearby rooms. They don't have to be adjoining. Would we be better off waiting and checking in at the resort, or should we do online check in??

collegejunkie
04-30-2011, 11:02 PM
is it better to do regular check in if you are hoping for an upgrade? i said hoping, not expecting or anything, so please don't get mad. i'm just wondering if they would still offer it if you checked in online ahead of time.

Missytara
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
We always stay at a home away from home resort(BWV) and I love check-in. The welcome home speech always kicks our trip off perfectly. Do you miss getting that when you check in online? I like the idea of potientially having a room waiting for me when I get there but don't want to miss it.

DVC's are a little different; whether you check in-line or not, they still don't start doling out rooms until later in the day.

The potential for available rooms at the regular resorts is a different story though.

Missytara
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
is it better to do regular check in if you are hoping for an upgrade? i said hoping, not expecting or anything, so please don't get mad. i'm just wondering if they would still offer it if you checked in online ahead of time.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Online check-in just means your package will be ready when you arrive and quite possibly your room.

Upgrades, though few and far between occur when a resort is overbooked in a certain category; someone deciding at the last minute to get a late check-out or a maintenance problem with the actual room you have been assigned to already.

The computer and/or room assigner has absolutely no control over those issues, five days before you check-in when rooms are assigned, so it makes no difference what so ever.

Missytara
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
What if you are traveling with another party? We want nearby rooms. They don't have to be adjoining. Would we be better off waiting and checking in at the resort, or should we do online check in??

Requests should be noted on your reservation at the time of booking until about five days before you check-in.

You can wait and ask at check-in, but your chances get slimmer especially at a very busy time, because the rooms are already assigned at about five to three days out.

Vowelmommy
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I was told by the CM that booked us that we have "guaranteed" connecting rooms, but of course I know that is not ever true. We are not arriving until 7 PM on arrival day. We are going at the end of August, the week BEFORE free dining so it should not be super duper busy. Are we better off to wait and check in at arrival, or do online check in?

Missytara
05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I was told by the CM that booked us that we have "guaranteed" connecting rooms, but of course I know that is not ever true. We are not arriving until 7 PM on arrival day. We are going at the end of August, the week BEFORE free dining so it should not be super duper busy. Are we better off to wait and check in at arrival, or do online check in?

Guaranteed connecting rooms are only if the no. of children under the age of 18, outnumbered the number of adults.

It doesn't matter how early or late you check in, you can still do requests. You can still ask if there are any available rooms for your request as well. So again, whether you do online check-in or regular check-in should not matter.

Vowelmommy
05-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Guaranteed connecting rooms are only if the no. of children under the age of 18, outnumbered the number of adults.

It doesn't matter how early or late you check in, you can still do requests. You can still ask if there are any available rooms for your request as well. So again, whether you do online check-in or regular check-in should not matter.

4 kids and 2 adults, so that is why she said guaranteed, I guess.

lflax
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
When I booked our trip online there was a part where you could indicate if your were traveling with another party. We both indicated that we were traveling with each other. Is this sufficient or do I need to call and get this information added to our reservation.

We do not necessarily need adjoining rooms. We would just like to be nearby. We both did preferred room locations.

This is not our first trip, yet I feel very overwhelmed this time???

Thanks for all your help!!

shine87
05-03-2011, 10:52 AM

While I'm sure this is normally true I find it to be the oposite in my case. My cc texts messages me withdrawl amounts and I use the texts to keep track of my spending, since I get no messages on kttw I spend less since I'm not keeping track of my spending as well as I should. Does this make sense to anyone but me?:confused3

homedad
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
probably arlready said but checked in online and had room ready day of arrivival at 8am, awesome!

MusiqChic99
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
We did online check-in during our November stay. I think we were at the resort by 9 and our room was ready.

I'm going to do it again at the end of the month with an early check in so I'm hoping for the same results.

collegejunkie
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Online check-in just means your package will be ready when you arrive and quite possibly your room.

Upgrades, though few and far between occur when a resort is overbooked in a certain category; someone deciding at the last minute to get a late check-out or a maintenance problem with the actual room you have been assigned to already.

The computer and/or room assigner has absolutely no control over those issues, five days before you check-in when rooms are assigned, so it makes no difference what so ever.

hmm, okay, thank you. then it would probably be better to do online check-in since we are arriving in orlando at 9 am. thank you for the information.

dledger
05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I can do online check-in today but am having a hard time deciding if I should or not. I have been to disney three times before, but it has been 5 years since my last trip. Also, this is my first trip without my parents- and my friend who is coming with me has never been before. We land at MCO at about 10am and we are taking ME- my only request would be a mansion room, which I do not have noted on my reservation right now but will be calling this week to have added, any opinions or advice about if I should hold off on online check-in or not? TIA! :confused3

Missytara
05-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I can do online check-in today but am having a hard time deciding if I should or not. I have been to disney three times before, but it has been 5 years since my last trip. Also, this is my first trip without my parents- and my friend who is coming with me has never been before. We land at MCO at about 10am and we are taking ME- my only request would be a mansion room, which I do not have noted on my reservation right now but will be calling this week to have added, any opinions or advice about if I should hold off on online check-in or not? TIA! :confused3

It sounds like you are staying at POR; since there are so many rooms in the mansions and all you have asked for is to be in a mansion room - it really doesn't matter whether you check in online or not - you will most likely get your request.

ratlenhum
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Can you call ahead of time and have requests put on your reservation, then do online check in 10 days out?

mickeyluv'r
05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
You can call ahead, but it doesn't mean your requests will be honored.

Most recently, I did use online check-in. None of the three rooms we had reserved were ready at 11am. One room becamse ready at around 2:30 or maybe 3pm. One was ready, I think around 4:30. We were not texted about the third room being ready until almost 6pm. Luckily we were not waiting around for THAT notice!

Honestly, if we had not been able to get into the other rooms, I'd have been a little unhappy that the room was not ready until after 5pm! That's kind of crazy.

wezee
05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe it was just our bad luck, but the last 2 times at POFQ, we did online check-in, and both times we did not get any of our requests met. Prior to those visits, at POFQ, we always had our room request met.
This past Feb., I requested a room next to my 80yr old mother ( even made 3 calls to WDW Res. to make sure the request was on both of our reservations) and they put my mother on the other side of the building from us. Thank goodness the manager at POFQ worked for hours to get us a room side by side.

DH and I were just talking about online check-in and decided to test the waters on our next trip in late Sept. and just check in upon arrival. We should get to the resort around noon on a Thursday and usually the lobby is pretty empty at that time.