PDA

View Full Version : Doing something over the top for our daughter...

ErinsMommy
04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Would love ideas of doing something really special for our 4 year old daughter, whether its at a restaurant, something delivered to the room, or done at a theme park.

Our daughter was born premature and developmentally was behind so for the past 3 years she's been getting therapy and instruction help from therapists/school district. Well we had a re-evaluation meeting a few days ago where they re-tested her and she tested not only at her age level, but in some areas above it, which means she'll be joining a mainstream kindergarten class in September!! :banana:

Well the timing is beyond perfect since we're leaving for Disney in 3 days and DH and I really want to do something special for her. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! =)

stazmatic
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
For a 4yo I would do BBB or a special breakfast at CRT and order a glass slipper.
That's great news for your family! I am sure you will have a great time celebrating!

pixidustmom
04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
What fantastic news. You must be so proud:love: I was thinking the BBB doing the full experience with dress and all. princess:

ErinsMommy
04-29-2011, 07:55 PM
what's a glass slipper?? i did book a BBB but took her to a manicure/pedicure place with me tonight and she wasn't thrilled with the idea, so i'm feeling unsure about it which is why we're trying to come up with something else that she may enjoy more. i see some cute custom cakes...what's the deal with those if anyone knows??

Aliceacc
04-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I would bring along a costume of her favorite princess, and let her wear it to a princess meal (Aukerhaus in Epcot has 5 princesses!!!)

She'll be called "your highness" the whole time.

At 4, I bet that's enough to delight her!

wdwdancerwannabe
04-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to join in your celebration....

I am a special education process coordinator for Early Childhood Special Ed - in a rather large district ---

We are sending on approximately 80 PK'ers to K this year -- sending some on with NONE, to minimal to maximum supports as they enter kindergarten.

I can truly appreciate and rejoice with you in knowing how big of a deal this is for you and your family ---

Enjoy your trip -- what a wonderful way to celebrate

I, personally, would recommend BBB

wdwdancerwannabe
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
what's a glass slipper?? i did book a BBB but took her to a manicure/pedicure place with me tonight and she wasn't thrilled with the idea, so i'm feeling unsure about it which is why we're trying to come up with something else that she may enjoy more. i see some cute custom cakes...what's the deal with those if anyone knows??

Go under the restaurant forum -- there's a WHOLE sticky thread on nothing BUT cakes....

RE: The glass slipper --- if the OP was referring to the dessert, you have to order it ahead of time.... like days ahead... i found that out the hard way!!!

ErinsMommy
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
thank you!! =) We're BEYOND proud...I cried throughout the whole meeting and the look on our daughter's face when we told her she graduated was a once in a lifetime moment...then the bittersweet feeling came when we started saying goodbye to everyone.

momtoejanda
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
If you want an over the top thing and she is into the princesses...there is a Perfectly Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian (it is very expensive). But do it after you go to the BBB.

ErinsMommy
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Just wanted to join in your celebration....

I am a special education process coordinator for Early Childhood Special Ed - in a rather large district ---

We are sending on approximately 80 PK'ers to K this year -- sending some on with NONE, to minimal to maximum supports as they enter kindergarten.

I can truly appreciate and rejoice with you in knowing how big of a deal this is for you and your family ---

Enjoy your trip -- what a wonderful way to celebrate

I, personally, would recommend BBB

Just wanted to thank you for all that you do...without the support, knowledge and assistance you give children, I for one can't even say thank you enough for doing what you do. :worship:

sscassel
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
First of all, Have a GREAT time!!! No matter what you do, she will love it. Some of the things my kids enjoyed at that age (also older!)were:

Crystal Palace- they love Pooh & friends still!

Whipering Canyon Cafe- Be sure to have her ask for ketchup!!!

Pirates league- my DD isn't a girlie girl, so I sent my DD & DS to become
pirates- it's a blast.

Disney Family Magic Tour- they did this at 9 & 10 and loved it. But your daughters age is great to do this. Will be more "real" for her.

They also loved the wake up calls from characters. You can also try to mention something at check in about you celebrating K . My son just LOVES Stitch and for his birthday, Stich had a card and photo signed by him and a balloon sent to the room. My son was never so happy when he opened the door! He enjoyed that over anything I payed a ton of $$$$ for.

Good luch with your choices

momof4minnies
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Here are a couple of things I would consider "over the top".

Princess Celebration thru Disney Florist. It's under "In-Room-Celebrations" on their web site.

Perfectly Princess Tea Party is on the DW website, character dining, then Garden View Tea Room.

We are going to Disney in November for DD sweet 16. We will be doing the Mickey Birthday in-room-celebration that is similar to the Princess Celebration.

When my two oldest were 7 and 9 we did the Princess Tea Party. It's in the GF. They still have their dolls, photos, and of course the memories.

Hope you and your family enjoy your visit.

momof4minnies
04-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Here are a couple of things I would consider "over the top".

Princess Celebration thru Disney Florist. It's under "In-Room-Celebrations" on their web site.

Perfectly Princess Tea Party is on the DW website, character dining, then Garden View Tea Room.

We are going to Disney in November for DD sweet 16. We will be doing the Mickey Birthday in-room-celebration that is similar to the Princess Celebration.

When my two oldest were 7 and 9 we did the Princess Tea Party. It's in the GF. They still have their dolls, photos, and of course the memories.

Hope you and your family enjoy your visit.

ErinsMommy
04-30-2011, 09:15 AM
thanks everyone, going to check some of those things out!! =)

lisaisanurse
04-30-2011, 09:40 AM
you got a little smarty on your hands!!! So glad to hear she's doing wonderful, no doubts she had wonderful parents too!

okay, you gotta do this, I did this when the kids were younger, sometimes I wish they werent so "old", lol.

Anyways, we went on a big family trip, we all stayed at POR...5 families, 5 young ones..so, I got this idea, I shopped for months, lol... I bought disney bags at the dollar stores, one per child, for each night of the stay. I bought all kind of little trinkets to fill the bags for each morning..packed them way to one dedicated suitcase...autograph books, bubbles, disney stuff, glow in the dark stuff, candy, little purses, suglasses... you get the idea...

I typed up letters from "mickey and minnie" from my computer at home and put all the letters in a folder and took them with me, one letter for each bag each morning....

the letters were colorful and even had a signature form mickey and minnie on them (fancy font) and I pasted a lil picture of minnie and mickey too with the signature...each letter addressed the day,

Hello "Susie"
Today is your first day going to the parks, I am so glad your here and I hope I see you soon, etc.....

Love Mickey and Minnie

Hello "Susie"
This is your last night in WDW, I hope you come back soon, etc...
Love Mickey and Minnie

Each morning I was up before the kids and I went to each front door of their rooms and placed their bags with goodies and the letter in each bag (my sister and SIL were aware and I did this when they would call my room and tell me the kids were getting up now). Their parents would pretend to go outside and say, "what is this, Mickey and Minnie bags", well they bolted for the door and thought it was the best thing next to sliced bread..

Everyday they couldnt wait for their parents to open the door to see if Mickey left another surprise....

IT WAS SO FUN!!!!!!!!!! (FOR ME AND THEM:rotfl2:)

funny story, my sister's girls get home and their neighbors girls go to disney and when they got back, my sister's girls ask them if mickey and minnie left thier surprise bags at their doors every day..oops.......they asked their mom why my sister's kids got stuff from Mickey????

it was so cute and so fun and so memorable...I bet your little girl will love it!!
Let me know!!!

mb_uh
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
The glass slipper is about $15.00 it is a special dessert that you call and order before you leave for your trip. It can be delivered to CRT or any restaurant at GF both are a little different- look for more info on the boards including pics of both.

ErinsMommy
04-30-2011, 10:01 AM
what a great idea Lisa, thank you!!! Not sure if I have the time to do that today, but since I have to hit up Walmart to get my autograph cards, I'll shop around for a bit and see what I can come up with. :thumbsup2

angiejg
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Congratulations! I am a special education teacher and have tears in my eyes reading your post! I would highly recommend BBB and a meal in the castle. It is expensive but so magical! My favorite princess meal is in Epcot at the Norway pavillion though. So many princesses at one time! You won't believe the comments she will receive if she is all dressed up after her time at BBB! Everyone will call her "princess" and comment on her hair. I'm sure she would LOVE it!

ONe more thing...it may be too late, but check into the Tomorrowland Dessert Party at Magic Kingdom. It is an up close view of the fireworks while enjoying mini desserts from a huge buffet. LOVE it! You may not be able to get a reservation at this point, but it is special!

ElizabethB
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I would not do BBB. My 4-year-old niece hated it. The minute they put the salon cape over her in the chair, she associated it with being at the dentist and began crying. She never stopped, despite lots of soothing words and efforts. It was a waste of time and money.

She is 7 now and would love it. But, IMO, 4 is just too young for BBB. She wasn't crazy about the princesses at CRT either. She seemed mostly indifferent to them.

So, no great ideas on what to do --- only advice on what my niece didn't like at that age.

disneyquestions
04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
You could go to disneyflorist.com and get something delivered to the room. I think its a great idea to have a special, custom cake delivered to a dinner that you have planned. But your leaving very soon, so I don't know if you will have the time to do that...... Princess dinner of course, and BBB before!! Just have a great time, and be sure to treasure the memories.

Pixieflip
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Congratulations to all of you! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Definitely visit the "cake chatter" thread and see if there's something there that she would think is super special for dessert at one of your dinners.

I wonder if you could make the BBB appointment later in the trip so you'd have time to show it to her and see what her reaction is. My dd's at four would have loved it. They also did loved all meals with all princesses when they were that age. The didn't offer it when they were 4, but they also would have absolutely loved the princess tea that has been mentioned.

What about a fireworks cruise? That seems over the top and super fun. Definitely memorable and celebratory.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide. Just take lots of photos, you'll always want to remember this milestone. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

lissiesmum
05-01-2011, 12:46 PM
If you want an over the top thing and she is into the princesses...there is a Perfectly Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian (it is very expensive). But do it after you go to the BBB.

I would second this! I did this for my DD for her 4th birthday and we both loved it! The whole experience is top notch and the sleeping beauty doll that she gets to take home is something she will always have to remember the experience.

Also, we did breakfast at CRT and I ordered a chocolate slipper for DD's bday and that was also a big hit! Really pretty to look at and so yummy to eat. Have a wonderful time with your daughter... :wizard:

blanq
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
As a mother who gave birth to a 2lb, 26 weeker, with significant complications and a 3 month NICU stay, your daughter's milestone has special meaning to me. How wonderful! For your special celebration I would suggest the Wishes Dessert Party at the Tommorowland Terrace (MK). You get an incredible spread of special dessert treats and great viewing of Wishes. Reservations are required (you can make them online). I think that WDW vacations are pretty much over the top all by themselves but this would likely be fun and special for your daughter.

ErinsMommy
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone so much, and for the congratulations to our daughter as well. :) I was only able to do the chocolate slipper as the other places have no availability, but we have some nice ressies the whole week so we're just going to do our best to make it the most magical experience for her. Bonus for us is she's still too little height wise to go on most of the rollercoasters (or that's what we're telling her at least...lol) so that'll be our saving grace as DH and I are both rollercoaster wimps. :lmao:

Colleen27
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd highly recommend the Perfectly Princess Tea at the Grand Floridian. It is a much more intimate experience than the theme park princess meals and it remains among my DD's favorite Disney memories. It has been 5 years since we did the tea party and her Aurora doll (American Girl sized) still has a place of honor in her otherwise all-too-tweenish bedroom, and she is still adding charms to her bracelet. On the dining review board there is a wonderful pictoral review if you want to check it out. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2591011

My DD was 6 before we did BBB because she just didn't like the sitting still aspects of a makeover when she was younger, so I think the suitability of that one depends on the child's personality. At 4, DD enjoyed her first haircut & pixie dust at the barber shop but that was about the limit of her patience for primping.

Something else that we considered for DD's 6th birthday trip (but decided against in favor of BBB) is the "Proclaim her a Princess" package from the Disney Florist. It comes with a pretty certificate, a glass slipper, a tiara and a bracelet. They have a lot of really sweet packages and you can even contact them about customization too.

Not as over the top, but in the "getting ready for school" spirit - make sure to check out the backpacks, pencil cases, and other goodies you can find at World of Disney. Nothing says special like heading off to that first day of school with a special pencil box (Marie from Aristocats in my DD's case) from your WDW vacation!