PDA

View Full Version : Torn between WL and Poly

Mousemommy1
04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Hoping to get some new perspectives on the differences between these two resorts. I have done a TON of research and was feeling pretty confident about WL but people love Poly soooo much!!!

A little background...cast members are DH and I and our two girls, who will be 7 and 5 at the time of our next trip to Disney (Feb 2012). This will be our girls 3rd trip and as you can see by my signature, DH and I have had many visits. As you can also see by our signature, we typically stay at Value resorts. We did stay at CBR this year, but really couldn't see the difference between CBR and Pop, in fact, liked Pop more.

We have NEVER stayed Deluxe, however, since next year is our 10th wedding anniversary, we have decided to stay deluxe. We are trying to decide between WL and Poly. I like the fact that WL has the child care center because one of the nights, we plan on dropping the kids off just so we can have a romantic anniversary dinner at Artist Point...and not have to leave the same grounds as our kids. We would get a bunk bed room at WL, which I think our kids would get a kick out of. I also see that they have catch & release fishing, horseback riding, etc... at WL, which would make for a more well rounded vacation.

We are not so concerned about transportation, really don't mind the busses (even at CBR!!) We typically spend more time in MK and Epcot, and are the commando types. Our girls have seen pics of both resorts and liked WL, and were a little apprehensive about the Poly pool since it has a volcano (they don't care that it's not real...).

I just want to have a great experience, and I suppose that either way we will, since like I said, we are perfectly happy at values too. But, what would you pick for your first stay at Deluxe?? Looking for opinions, thanks!

Disney grandma
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
I personally like the theme of the Poly. The rooms are huge and watching the fireworks from the beach is a plus on a crowded MK night. It sounds like the WL might be a good choice for your family though, and it is less expensive. You seem to have a good attitude about where you have stayed, so I think you will enjoy your trip no matter where you stay!

LorieDisneyLover
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
We really enjoy the Polynesian.

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and liked it. Our family is just too big for a room there. They have a very nice pool area and the boat transportation to MK. We found the resort to be very peaceful and family friendly.

It sounds like WL is best for your family since you are not concerned about transportation ... and your romantic dinner is planned for there. I would pick WL for just that reason too.

Also, bunk beds are usually fun for the kids ... and usually the WL is a little less expensive than the Polynesian.

MMrules
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I have stayed at CBR and loved it. Then I just did a solo WL trip this Feb(Mommy's little getaway) and absolutely loved it! I can't wait to take my family back there. It was very relaxing and felt like a vacation within a vacation. The boat to MK was fantastic and the buses were great too. There is a beach there that you can watch the electric parade on.

I think your girls would love the bunk beds, theme and atmosphere at the resort. I didn't eat at Artist's Point b/c I was solo, but it smelled absolutely fantastic!!!

I haven't stayed at the Poly yet, but I also think that would be a good choice too. It is very expensive without a discount, but also looks very relaxing. The access to the monorail would be a good option for transportation with little ones, but not a necessity. As a mom who has stayed at Deluxe and moderates with little ones, I found no problems with the busses whatsoever. I think the monorail would be a nice treat though.

If your girls are freaked out by the volcano then the WL may be a better option til they aren't scared of it. Maybe go to the Poly for your 15th anniversary????

Good luck choosing!

beebeeryan
04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Haven't stayed at the POLY although I do want to someday, but we did the WL last summer and loved it. My boys were 7 and 4 at the time and the pool was great, big enough that it wasn't overly crowded even in the afternoon when everyone took their swim breaks and the slide was perfect size for my 7 year old, 4 year old wouldn't try it. Hot tubs were great too and even though it was August and hot, 2 evenings the breezes actually made the hot tub nice. Might be nice in February, if that's when you're going. I don't think the POLY has a hot tub if I remember correctly from my research last year.

Landscaping is fantastic. We didn't end up using the kids club, but we did all have dinner at Artist's Point and it was excellent. Whispering Canyon is great too. Buses were excellent and the boat to MK or the CR is lovely too. We stayed in the Villas, but if we went back and did the Lodge, I'd do the bunk bed room, kids would love not having to share a bed.

Hooked On The Mouse
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Our family would pick Poly; but that's just because the theming is a little more to our taste. I don't think either resort is "better" than the other, just better or worse for different people. It clearly sounds like WL is right for your family, so go and have a great time! It's a beautiful resort.

kapoof
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
while we liked the wl..the rooms we didn't really care for,but it does have great dining options and a nice lobby. the poly is nicer and just better all around, it feels much more 'deluxe.' it is very tropical and very pretty. you get to sit on the beach to watch wishes, and see the castle the electric parade and just to hang out and relax it is wonderful. the poly is such a nice treat...have fun whatever you decide :goodvibes

larryz
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Both resorts are nice, and both have their good and bad days.

You sound already convinced you'll like the WL, and I think you will, too. To me, though, the WL is a better resort in the cooler times of the year, while the Poly is more appropriate in the warmer days.

But that's just me -- tropical is warm, mountainous northwest is cool.

Go and have a great time at the WL, and you can plan the Poly next time.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I have stayed at both resorts which are great in their own ways, however I would go with the Polynesian for the following reasons. Resort Monorail access, walkway to the TTC, bigger rooms and I liked their theme a lot more.

KatMark
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
We have only stayed at the Poly several times (the WL and it's theme hold no appeal for us and we didn't care for the food court or the WCC). Our boys, when they traveled with us, loved the pool at the Poly and being able to watch Wishes from the beach. The Poly holds a special place in our hearts.

Sammie
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Love the Wilderness Lodge and the boat transportation to Magic Kingdom in my opinion is the best of any offered.

mouselike-harrier
04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
It really is a matter of personal preference. My family of four is in the minority here. We loved the WL, but was not crazy about the Poly, except for the monorail access. We liked the atmosphere at WL much better; Poly felt too busy all the time. Also, you have to decide about the money factor. WL is a better bargain. Again though, it is truly a matter of what you would like.

sydneysmom
04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
to me, it sounds like you're sold on WL but you're trying to second guess yourself to see if you "might" like the Poly better. IMO, you have to go w/ your heart and your wallet. If you all LOVE WL and everyone's in agreement, stick with that.... From reading your post, it kind of sounds like you feel like you "should" like Poly (or pick the Poly).

My dad always tells us, go with your gut and you'll never go wrong. :thumbsup2 Personally, I'd stick to WL. Your kids seemed to love it from the pics, there are things you loved about it. Will you get to the Poly and be disappointed that those things aren't available there ? only you know the answer to that.

Whatever you choose, you're sure to have a wonderful vacation. You can't go wrong with either of the hotels.

luvthemouse71
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I love the Poly, but am coming up on my first WL stay. When I get back, I'll post on my experience and compare the 2.

Princess Haylie
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
We are a family of 5. We have stayed at WL the last 3 years. We absolutley love it. Except the fact that we have to get 2 rooms or club level. Which adds to a lot of $$$. Love the theming, location, food court, and size. We are staying at Poly for the first time the second week of May. Only a little over week away! Can't wait. We have visited a number of times but this is the first stay. It's going to have to be something special to top WL. Can't wait to compare. Would gladly look for something in particular for you if you would like. Just let me know.

But for now we love WL.

Mousemommy1
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys!!!! I really do appreciate all the input...and I DO feel like soooo many people gush about the Poly that I might be missing out, but it's not like we won't go again, so this time WL and maybe next time Poly, though for 2013 we are planning for the new AoA resort! :cool1:

Luckily the 40% military discount was extended into Sept. 2012 so we will be using that for our stay at WL for sure!!! I am excited to check out what it's all about! Hope I'm not spoiled to where I can't stay anywhere else!

nurtz
04-27-2011, 07:42 PM
The Poly is my sentimental favorite...stayed several times with my family while growing up. Love it! My husband and I just stayed at WL last October for the 1st time and I really enjoyed it, too. I think you will be quite happy at WL and your kids will, too. Either choice, to me, is a good one! Have a great trip! :banana:

MindyLuvsMickey
04-27-2011, 08:03 PM
We have stayed at both the Poly and WL. Both were lovely but our family prefers Poly. The biggest draw for us is having monorail access. Personally, I love the tropical feel that the Poly offers.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Enjoy your vacation :)

Magic Family
04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
We've stayed at both resorts and loved them both. Found them both to be extremely relaxing. Found transportation options to be excellent in both. Poly has the monorail and a quick walk to the TTC. WL has the boat, which we took to the Contemporary to catch the monorail, so it felt like the best of both worlds. Both have beaches, although Poly has the benefit of watching Wishes. Depending on the weather, WL has the benefit of being under one roof for those trips to refill your beverage mug. We like the food court better at WL. And WL isn't a little cheaper...it's always been WAY cheaper.

The determining factor for us is really how many of us are going. If all 4 of us are going (2 teenagers), we choose the Poly for bigger rooms and daybed. Less than that, we stay at WL.

Never been disappointed. Have a magical vacation whatever you choose.

weheartdisney
04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
We've stayed at both and love both. The boats to/from MK are wonderful at the WL and the monorail and short walk to the TTC is awesome at the Poly. Both have great food options. I think your family will love either. If your girls are looking forward to the WL - stay there this time. Splurge on the Poly next trip - or 15th Anniversary (as someone suggested above).

It's A Small World
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Hands down...I'd stay at the Poly. We stayed at the Poly in May of '10 with our two girls ages 6 and 4. They loved it! They still talk about it. In fact, I swear they liked the resort more than the parks.

02AggieGirl
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I would say stick with WL. It is gorgeous!! We've stayed at both and while the poly's room are bigger, we really hated the separate buildings--which I realize most of the Disney resorts are. When it rained, even though we were at our resort, we still had to run through it to get to our bus/monorail or to get something to eat.
Plus I think your girls will love the bunk beds. I love the courtyard view at WL.

mickeynut1
04-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I see you've decided to go with the WL and just wanted to say I think you made a great choice and will love the resort :). The Poly is our favorite, but the WL is a very close second :thumbsup2. If the WL had larger rooms and daybeds, I would have a terrible time deciding between that and the Poly ;). I think your girls will love the bunkbeds.....we had them when our DSs were little and they loved it :goodvibes. Have a great trip......the WL is a beautiful resort :wizard:.