PDA

View Full Version : Quality digital cameras under $650?

jollygoodamy
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I need some suggestions for a camera for me to take to Disney World. Good ones that can take high quality pictures and videos. But one that has a flash for kind of dark pictures :) A nice shooting range as well.

Gianna'sPapa
04-22-2011, 06:15 PM
What type of digital camera are you looking for? A bridge camera, high end point & shoot or entry level DSLR are some of the options. Does the under $650 include the accessories or just the camera? All the manufacturers today make great cameras, but with a little more info maybe someone can point you in the right direction. With todays cameras being so good, it really is up to the person pressing the shutter button who makes the difference.

jollygoodamy
04-24-2011, 01:42 PM
By under $650 I mean the camera + any accessories. An interchangeable-lens full system DSLR like an Nikon D300 or fixed-lens DSLR like an Olympus E-20N or possibly just a point or shoot camera like a Canon PowerShot S95 but one that can take pictures and video, which most cameras don't do. :confused3

VVFF
04-24-2011, 01:48 PM
By under $650 I mean the camera + any accessories. An interchangeable-lens full system DSLR like an Nikon D300 or fixed-lens DSLR like an Olympus E-20N or possibly just a point or shoot camera like a Canon PowerShot S95 but one that can take pictures and video, which most cameras don't do. :confused3

Most camera DO take pictures and video.

Just make sure whatever you do that you don't use that pop up flash on dark rides!

PegIra
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I did a lot of research and just ordered a Nikon D3100 today for $599. It does do video but not long periods of it. I have a new HD Sony camcorder that I love for videos.

Good Luck

Peg

Daisy14'sDH
04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I might of looked at this on Amazon... :)

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-Black/dp/B002OEBTC8

zackiedawg
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
DSLRs: Pentax KX, Sony A500, Nikon D3100 - all should be available around $500ish, and get you a 2 lens kit for your budget. Sony A33, Pentax KR, Canon T3 - will stretch the budget a bit - maybe restrict you to one lens - but still be worth a look.

Mirrorless: Sony NEX3, Panasonic GH1, Samsung NX100 - should easily fit in your budget with 1-2 lenses, and room to spare for a few tidbits. All would actually be a bit better with video than the DSLRs due to the ability to quickly autofocus during video, which DSLRs cannot do (save the Sony A33/55, which both can do extremely fast focus during video). These are smaller, lighter systems than DSLRs, a wee bit slower when it comes to focus and tracking which will only affect you if you need to shoot action or wildlife. They are far better than any P&S camera in high-ISO shooting capability.

Prosumer/advanced P&S - Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Canon SX30, Sony HX100 - just to name a few. These range from the cameras with less lens range like the S95 & LX5, but bigger sensors and more control, to ultrazooms with smaller sensors but huge lens versatility with massive zooms. None will be great in low light, all will do a respectable job with video, and all will be fine for most types of general photography.

ukcatfan
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM

I am pretty sure that you cannot buy a camera like that anymore. That model came out a decade ago.

ukcatfan
04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
BTW, OT, but where are you from in KY? I am originally from Ashland, lived in Lexington while at UK, and then lived in Louisville after that. I now live in SWFL.

jollygoodamy
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I live in Lexington.

Mexidoc
04-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Check out the nikon d 3100 or d 5100 both are great entry level dslr's. The d 5100 has fully articulated screen and great auto settings. Plus has ability to go fully manual. and both are around $500-550 with the 2 lens kit.

chou4555
06-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi! Jollygoodamy At that price you are spolit for choice, I think! I did some research and ended up with the Panasonic Lumix G3 (
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+G+Micro+System+Cameras/4855154/index.html ).

It has a lot of features, but you can still keep everything simple and not be overwhelmed by the technology. It also suits me because it is klightweight and therefore very portable.. handy if you don't want to be weighed down! I used it recently while hiking in Cumbria, England, and got some very good results. Haven't explored the video side of it yet...