PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle Zoom Lens Help

allie7
04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi, guys!
I'm somewhat new to the camera world. I bought a Nikon D3100 last November, and now I'm going on a Disney Cruise next May. I'm really wanting to buy a wide angle zoom lens. I've been looking around a lot for one, and can't find a good one that's around my price range (around $500, but happy for it to be less :P). I don't really want like a 18-24, I want more of a zoom. I've got a Nikon camera, but I don't think Nikon lenses will be affordable for me. I'm okay with going with an off-brand lens, as longs as it's a wide angle zoom. I'm hoping some one on the disboards will know of a good lens. Thanks.

Gianna'sPapa
04-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm a little confused by your request because you want wide angle but more zoom. Those two tend to be at odds with one another. The longer the zoom the less wide the lens usually is. Many are using 10-20mm or 12-24mm lenses which are classified as Ultra Wide Angle. Can you clarify what you are asking for?

TXFL
04-22-2011, 05:11 AM
What's wrong with the kit lens? the 18-55 mm is not a bad lens, just learn your camera's strenghts and weakness; then you can decide what lens suits your shooting style and invest in a good lens. About the only place I needed a wide angle lens was inside the restaurants, for the shows I used my telephoto, Pelican Plunge = telephoto. I think you got a good lens already, bon voyage.

allie7
04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
What's wrong with the kit lens? the 18-55 mm is not a bad lens, just learn your camera's strenghts and weakness; then you can decide what lens suits your shooting style and invest in a good lens. About the only place I needed a wide angle lens was inside the restaurants, for the shows I used my telephoto, Pelican Plunge = telephoto. I think you got a good lens already, bon voyage.

I don't want the lens JUST for the cruise, I plan on using it other places. I thought that while I'm looking at a lens, I might as well buy one now for the cruise, since I go on a cruise every few years now. I plan on doing the most photography on this cruise, then I have before. There's a lot of places on the ship, where a wide angle would come in handy very well..

I'm a little confused by your request because you want wide angle but more zoom. Those two tend to be at odds with one another. The longer the zoom the less wide the lens usually is. Many are using 10-20mm or 12-24mm lenses which are classified as Ultra Wide Angle. Can you clarify what you are asking for?

I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm new to the camera world :P. I don't exactly speak 'lenses', so that's why I came here. I was going to try to force myself up at the crack of dawn while on the ship, to go outside and get a really pretty sunrise piture. I plan on using the lens more then once or twice, like the above poster said. There's been a lot of times where I was going to shoot something, then thought if I had a wide angle, it'd make the shot look more interesting.

TXFL
04-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Again, wide angle lens for your camera is something between 16 and 24 mm, any wider than that and its an ultra wide lens. Have you checked out the Sigma 17-50 2.8 ? its less than $700, or the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for less than $500.

Gianna'sPapa
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm new to the camera world :P. I don't exactly speak 'lenses', so that's why I came here. I was going to try to force myself up at the crack of dawn while on the ship, to go outside and get a really pretty sunrise piture. I plan on using the lens more then once or twice, like the above poster said. There's been a lot of times where I was going to shoot something, then thought if I had a wide angle, it'd make the shot look more interesting.

Since I don't own an UWA lens, I use my 18-55mm at the 18mm for my wider angle shots. Since I'm a Pentax shooter and not Nikon, I can't speak to the Nikon lenses, but my kit does a pretty good job for a cheaper lens. If you are looking for a faster (lower f-stop # larger aperture (more Light to sensor), ie, 2.8), then both Sigma and Tamron make variable aperture lenses (17-50mm) for around $500 or less. That would be a replacement for your kit lens. Right now, until I can afford an UWA, I'm happy with my kit for my wider shots.

PS I do shoot a lot of Flash (with an external flash) for my indoor wider shots with the 18-55.

FargoBear
04-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm more of a Canon guy, so my experience with Nikon lenses is zero. However, you may want to scope out keh.com for used lenses or bhphoto.com for new ones, just to get a sampling of what is available in terms of lenses, focal lengths and pricing.

Then you could always do more research or ask here if there is a lens or two that interests you.

disneyfaninaz
04-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not an expert, but I have a Nikon 5000 and have the 18-55mm kit lens. I took it to Yellowstone and got wonderful landscape, sunrise shots etc with the 18-55mm lens. For inside spaces on the ship, a fisheye lens might be worth looking into. I don't see where you would gain anything by getting a 17-55 mm lens, unless you're looking for faster glass. As a fellow beginner, I think you'll be happy with the pictures you get with the kit lens.

Daisy14'sDH
04-22-2011, 10:14 AM
On our cruise my 12-24mm (Pentax) rarely left my camera body. Since then I still find myslef using it quite often, it may be worth another look...

allie7
05-05-2011, 10:07 AM
What do you guys think about this lens?

http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=NIKAF1835

zackiedawg
05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I think either most of us, or you, are still confused with what you're looking for. You have a Nikon D3100, correct? And I can only assume you bought it with the kit lens, an 18-55mm wide zoom lens. Is this still correct? The lens you posted above is an 18-35mm lens, and not a particularly fast one. So if you have the 18-55mm kit lens, then the lens you posted above won't be any wider, and won't reach as far either - it is covering the exact same focal range. The only real reason someone would get a lens that covers the exact same focal range is if the new lens has some other attribute you want - such as having a bigger aperture. That one doesn't. Now, maybe you don't have the 18-55mm kit lens for some reason, and that might explain it a bit...but we need clarification from you!

On a camera like yours, Ultrawide lenses usually cover 8mm to 16mm or so, wide lenses usually cover 16mm to 24mm, standard lenses usually cover 24mm to 50mm, and telephoto lenses cover the longer lengths. Some lenses cover a very wide range, from wide all the way to telephoto - these are often dubbed 'superzooms'...they can be 18mm to 250mm or more.

It does sound like you want a wide lens, not a telephoto lens. But the confusion is that your camera is typically sold with a kit lens that covers EXACTLY the range you are asking for - from 18 to 55mm. If you can clarify what lens you need, and what are the shortcomings of that lens that you wish you could do (do you wish you could zoom in more for distant objects, do you wish you could zoom out wider for close or wide subjects, do you wish you could shoot the same distance but faster shutter speeds or better in low light, etc.)...then you can probably get some good guidance here!

capt445
05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
What do you guys think about this lens?

http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=NIKAF1835

Some thing else you need to check is that I don't believe the D3100 will auto focus with this lens. The lens needs to be either an AF-S or AF-I lens.

Anewman
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Not sure if it is made with a Nikon mount, but Tokina makes a 16-50mm 2.8 lens. Bit wider than the kit lens, but has more "zoom" than the ultra wides.

I was just bidding on one with a Canon mount today.

My2Girls66
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I just bought the Tamron 10-24mm for my Nikon D80. I used it a bit in Paris and its range is pretty good for walking around. I am pretty sure it would work on the D3100. It is $499 and there was a rebate for $50 recently, not sure if its still applicable.
This may help show you the difference in focal lengths
http://www.pbase.com/image/71828237/large.jpg
or this
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/focal_length_comparisons.htm