PDA

View Full Version : Alot of my recent photos have been blurry

10dedfish
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a Rebel XS with various lenses, but I have noticed recently that alot of my photos have been blurry with my 75-250 F4-F5.6 lens. I thought that maybe I was rushing the shot, but even after slowing down and letting the camera focus, I still have about half my shots that are blurry. I am at work right now, so I don't have access to any examples to post, but the exposure was usually at least 1/160th. I was not using a tripod of any of the shots, but figured it would not be an issue when shooting that fast.

Matt

ukcatfan
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
For the 75 end, that is fast enough, but not for the 250 end. Multiply the focal length by 1.6 and 1/that number is the slowest you should go. Also, 1/160 is not really fast enough if the subject is moving. That probably needs 1/500 or faster.

photo_chick
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
It does sound like your shutter speed just wasn't fast enough but without actually seeing an example it's hard to tell.

Bstanley
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
There was a time where I was taking a lot of blurry pictures with my XS - including when I was using lenses that are noted for their sharpness.

It turns out that the camera was simply focusing someplace other than where I thought it was focusing. I had left all 7 auto focus points active and I wasn't really paying attention to which one the camera was selecting each time.

I've now set the camera to "One Shot Focus" and I only use the center focus point. If I want the focus to be on some other part of the scene I just focus on that part and then holding the shutter button halfway down I shift the view to center the scene I want. I've tried using the 'back-button focus' technique but so far I'm not as comfortable with that.

The end result is a lot less 'blurry' shots.

bob100
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a Rebel XS with various lenses, but I have noticed recently that alot of my photos have been blurry with my 75-250 F4-F5.6 lens. I thought that maybe I was rushing the shot, but even after slowing down and letting the camera focus, I still have about half my shots that are blurry. I am at work right now, so I don't have access to any examples to post, but the exposure was usually at least 1/160th. I was not using a tripod of any of the shots, but figured it would not be an issue when shooting that fast.

Matt

There is no 75-250 lens!
Do you mean the Canon 55-250IS or the Canon 75-300 ? Many of the older model Canon 75-300 zooms do not have "IS" and are optically not so good

10dedfish
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes, sorry it was the 75-300. I was trying to type this up before I had to head out into the field for work. Going from memory, alot of my shots were in the 135-150 range. I will look at the extif tonight and make note of what the ranges were. Once again, thanks to everyone for the responses. +2 cool points to everyone!:thumbsup2

Matt

photo_chick
04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, sorry it was the 75-300. I was trying to type this up before I had to head out into the field for work. Going from memory, alot of my shots were in the 135-150 range. I will look at the extif tonight and make note of what the ranges were. Once again, thanks to everyone for the responses. +2 cool points to everyone!:thumbsup2

Matt

I shot with the 75-300 elepant for a several years both with film and on my crop DSLR's. I found I really needed the shutter speed up about at least 1/250 (o the 75 end) to 1/500 (on the 300 end) with the crop DSLR's. It's a beastly slow lens and a black hole that sucks all the light up. It's also got fairly poor resolution for digital. I ditched for an old 70-210 f/4 ($100- $150 used) that totally rocks and blows the under $200 new tele zooms out of the water.

disneyboy2003
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm sure you've already done this, but did you check that the lens is still switched to "autofocus" (AF), and didn't get accidentally switched to "manual focus" (MF)?

I know this is one of those obvious "TV doesn't work. Step 1: check that it's plugged in" steps. But it's happened to me a few times without realizing it. And when it happens, all 100% of my pictures are blurry. :sad2:

10dedfish
04-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks Photochick, I will experiment around with the lens and see if I get the same results you had. Wouldn't surprise me, as its not exactly a top of the line lens.
Disneyboy: yes, I had the lens in AF, and checked it several times during the session. And it never hurts to do the stupid checks, I ask myself those questions almost every day. :thumbsup2

Matt

mytripsandraces
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't know your camera, but I do know that twice I have encountered people who didn't like their cameras because the shots were always blurry and when I checked them, they had been switched to macro, so, of course, all their distance shots were blurry.

LPZ_Stitch!
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, sorry it was the 75-300. I was trying to type this up before I had to head out into the field for work.

Just backing up what photo_chick posted ... the 75-300 (without IS) is a *very* light-hungry lens that isn't very sharp even when the light is good. I was generally getting crappy pictures from it on anything other than bright sunny days; just a little bit of clouds and getting reasonable shutter speeds (1/500 or better, just to compensate for hand-shake) was impossible without cranking the ISO all the way up.

Replacing it with the 55-250IS was one of the best things I've done for my T2i.

Canon "L" lenses are WAAAAY out of my budget for the foreseeable future, but there's a world of difference just between that 75-300 and the 55-250IS! :goodvibes

10dedfish
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Checked that too. I was in Manual the whole time. Im leaning more towards the lens is crap, I looked threw a lot of my older photos and noticed that any kind of portraits had issues. Works great on landscapes though. :rolleyes:

Matt

ukcatfan
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't know your camera, but I do know that twice I have encountered people who didn't like their cameras because the shots were always blurry and when I checked them, they had been switched to macro, so, of course, all their distance shots were blurry.

On a DSLR, there is no macro mode on the camera. To do macro, you have to buy a lens that has a macro mode. I am almost positive that it is not a macro lens as they are typically expensive and it is a budget lens.

bob100
04-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Replacing it with the 55-250IS was one of the best things I've done for my T2i.

Canon "L" lenses are WAAAAY out of my budget for the foreseeable future, but there's a world of difference just between that 75-300 and the 55-250IS!

absolutely true, the 55-250IS is an amazingly sharp (but cheap) lens

10dedfish
04-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Ok, looking at the extif info, the inside shots were 1/80, F5, iso 800. The outside shots were mostly 1/200th, F5, iso 200. It was pretty sunny outside, we were under a covered walkway, and the camera metered mid range the whole time.

I may be looking for the other lens when I get the chance. BTW, the other lens, is it the Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.5-5.6 IS?

Matt