PDA

View Full Version : Disney Internships- More than 1?

whnuwishuponastar
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Today I contacted my advisor at school to see if I will be able to get credits while I am an intern at Disney. She said that theres more than one kind of internship at Disney and it all depends on my major.

Well I am a Liberal Arts major, focusing on Photography & Film. Crossing my fingers for a Photopass Photographer role. (By the way, I'm a Spring 2012 hopeful)

Only reason I'm asking early is because I like to get things done on time and not last minute (Just in case I get accepted) KNOCK ON WOOD!

My question is, is there an internship related to my field or would being a Photopass Photographer work to get credit?

jandersonlj
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
If I understand correctly, the first time you go is just "general" work. Disney puts you where they want you. If you sign up for a second time, then you can use what you are majoring in, and Disney will try to put you somewhere that will let you get experience in that particular field.

Frizzbird
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
What your advisor meant was there are more than one type on internship program with Disney. There are technically 3 programs although for the upcoming fall there are only 2. The three programs are Career Start which is for people who have graduated high school in the last 18 months I believe but not gone to college yet. That isn't currently available. There is the College Program in which Photopass is a role and would best fit with your degree although most people don't get roles that relate in any way to their degree. Also Photopass is one of the most difficult roles to get next to perhaps concierge. I know for Spring 2010 there were only 60 some odd CP photopass photographers taken. Just something to keep in mind.

The last type of internship program is the Professional Internship program. This is where you apply to be in a specific role that isn't necessarily front lines in the parks. So for instance you could be a Production Assistant for the Disney Institute or in your case perhaps something related to film or photographer. PIs are much more competitive and harder to get than a regular CP. If you want something more directly related to your degree program you would be better off applying for a PI. There are PIs that are CP alumni only and then there are others that are open to anyone in college.

As for credit that all depends on your university and the department your degree is in. They may give you credit no matter what your role, they may give you no credit no matter what your role, or they could give you credit only if you get photopass. Or some other scenario entirely. The only way you are going to know is to really educate yourself about the various programs (I suggest reading all of both the CP and PI websites) and then talking to your advisor based on that.

Frizzbird
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
oops. double post. :)

whnuwishuponastar
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I look on the website and said if you wanted to apply for PI you have to be a CP alumni. I just want to start out with the College Program. You think if applying RIGHT at the beginning will help my chances in getting a role I want or it's based on work experience I assume. But anyway, thank you for replying and the help :)

Berlioz70
04-18-2011, 08:32 PM
A College Program is NOT a requirement for all PIs.

I recommend taking the role checklist to your advisor and asking which roles you get credit for. Based on the info, select the roles you want to apply for and explain to the interviewer that those are your only options in order to receive college credit.

If Photopass is the only role that will give you credit, then only mark Photopass and hope it works out!