PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Pics 1 laptop to another

Diegosmom
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I got a new laptop at work and I need to give my old one to a coworker. I have a ton of pics on my old laptop (about 5 years worth) that I want to move to my new laptop.

I have tried a flash drive. For some reason when I insert it it doesnt come up as a devise (its not the flashdrive because it works in my new laptop). I tried a SD card, again doesnt come up as a device. I tried saving the photo to a CD. It goes thru the entire saving process and after 15 min says I can't save. No idea why as I did it with files last week.

I am uploading all the pics to snapfish now but it is my understanding that if I want to download them and resaving them on my new laptop I will have to pay.

Any way I can get these to my new laptop cheaply (would prefer free) and easily?

Thanks

Wcoaster
04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
If you have Apple computers it is easy. Start up in "firewire disk mode"

I use Macs and when I start up the computer I hold down the command & T while is starts and it comes up as an external drive on my other computer.

If you have pc's it is a bit harder. You should be able to tether the laptops directly and do a straight download but I think you need a special cable. A friend did it for me on an old pc I had years ago. Ask a computer shop and I think they would know about it.

SrisonS
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
How about investing in an external hard drive??? They're relatively cheap for the amount they hold. So not only can you transfer your pics that way, bur you'll also now have a nice backup option.

Was the SD card a normal SD or an SDHC?? With my old computer, I couldn't read SDHC cards, only the normal ones.

disneyfaninaz
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I second the idea of a backup harddrive. Then you have archival storage and you can easily transfer your photos to your new laptop.

photo_chick
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
A backup is a good idea when you start moving files around and an EHD is probably the easiest option if the flash drive is uncooperative. Or you could get a crossover cable and just connect the two computers directly together. Or connect them both via a network.

And an EHD is not by any means an archival backup. It's a great option for one form of backup, but you'd better have something redundant in place if you use one that way.

ssanders79
04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
If you can get both computers join the same network and setup file sharing if you are still having issues with removable media.

Frantasmic
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Does your flash drive have security on it (password protected)? If so, you may need to check with that drive's manufacturer and determine if you just need to match the security software with the version of Windows your are using.

For example, with Verbatim, you may need an XP version of your software AND a Win 7 version on your flash drive and make sure and use the appropriate version with the OS you are using.

Diegosmom
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks all...its not an apple

And the SD card is an SDHC so maybe that is my problem there.

No idea on the flash drive.

GrillMouster
04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Do you have an IT department? If so, just ask them to help transfer them.

DVC Mike
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I recently migrated from a Dell Windows 7 notebook to a new Apple MacBook Pro.

I used an external USB hard drive.

Worked like a charm.

disneyboy2003
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Do you have an Ethernet cord? It's the cord that you'd normally attach to your computer to get Internet onto your computer.

Ethernet cables are very cheap. You can use an Ethernet cable to attach the 2 computers to each other. Hopefully, your computers will automatically create a network between each other. If it does, then you can start sharing and moving pictures from 1 computer to the other.

You can probably have a 10-year-old neighbor kid help you out with this. ;)

seashoreCM
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Does Snapfish store your pictures with full resolution (the entire picture files unchanged)?

You don't want to upload them and then when you download them again they are now in lower resolution because typical website usage and display of photographs uses lower resolution.