PDA

View Full Version : Disney Look

Tigger1234
04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm sure its posted somewhere on here, but I decided to just make a new one.:goodvibes

I know you are allowed to wear a watch as long as it fits into the guidelines for Disney look. Does anyone know which ones are okay? I have the new iPod nano and you can attach it to a watch, is that in the guidelines of Disney look? When not in use you can set it to show the time. I wouldn't be listening to it at work or anything. Thanks for any replies :goodvibes

TinkStitch
04-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't know if the iPod nano would be considered within Disney look. I always wore a watch similar to this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Ladies-Sport-Watch/10741077
The band was different, but the face was pretty much the same. I never had a problem with it not being in Disney Look, but I don't think I wore it to Traditions, which is where they really look at you for Disney Look. I worked backstage in costuming, so my managers were a little more lenient with Disney look stuff than others, simply cuz we didn't deal with guests all day. (One person I worked with wore a Spongebob watch she got in a kids meal at Burger King.)
If you're one of the people that has to wear a watch all the time (I know I'm that way), get a really simple one from walmart or check property control behind mk once you get there, I've gotten watches there for a dollar.

Tigger1234
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I dont usually wear watches. I mostly use my cell phone if I need the time, but I know I just cant be whipping my phone out all the time so I thought I should invest in a watch. The iPod thing is bc thats really the only case they have for it so i was just wondering maybe ill try it out and see what happens lol. :upsidedow

WDW_lover_in_SC
04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Some locations cant wear watches...DTD West Side to be exact.

t-ho
04-16-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm sure its posted somewhere on here, but I decided to just make a new one.:goodvibes

I know you are allowed to wear a watch as long as it fits into the guidelines for Disney look. Does anyone know which ones are okay? I have the new iPod nano and you can attach it to a watch, is that in the guidelines of Disney look? When not in use you can set it to show the time. I wouldn't be listening to it at work or anything. Thanks for any replies :goodvibes

I don't think any food role allows watches.

grlwonder
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I always need to wear a watch, I feel weird without one. The only watch I have are the ones that are not plastic but "metal" just as these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Military-Hanowa-Men-s-Freedom-Watch-Rose-Goldtone/14550505 (but mine is silver color)
Would I have to buy a different one or can that be acceptable?

disneymegs
04-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Watches have to be business style like silver or gold watches or ones with brown or black bands. No bright colors. They started cracking down at work cause a lot of people think they can wear any color as long as Mickey is on it haha.

Tigger1234
04-16-2011, 07:12 PM
I've heard that girls don't have to wear stockings anymore for traditions. Is this true?

disneymegs
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I didn't wear any. And they didn't send me home. My role used to require it and now they don't.

Frizzbird
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Disney finally updated that aspect of the Disney Look this past summer and non-costumed women no longer have to wear panty hose. Which means you don't have to wear them to your classes or traditions. If your role requires it though you still have to wear them.

merfsko
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I know it's probably different for different roles, but I wold suggest getting a cheap but pretty watch at Wal-Mart (I got a silver-coloured business-style one for $15). I worked Custodial, and I had to wash my watch and Medic Alert every other day, and a the end of my program I simply ditched my watched, and orered a new MedicAlert because they were so gross. At one point my silver bracelet looked like it was made out of copper :eek:

Obviously, as Custodial I was dealing with more dirt and grime han other roles, but remember that whatever you wear is going to get covered in sweat, if you work outdoors rain, and whatever else happens to be around the work place. :)

TrishWDWCP
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Are you allowed to wear rings in quick service?
Just wondering, I thought it was okay for any kind of commitment ring.
Cause My boyfriend gave me a promise ring and I never take it off.. haha.
It's one of those things you just feel naked without, you know?
Its small.. it has diamonds in it but they are little and the ring is like flat (no diamonds sticking up) so theress no chance it'd get caught on anything. so idk if thatll be okay or not?

Frizzbird
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
The Disney Look book says this about rings for costumed (and non-costumed) women. "Only one ring on each hand is permitted, with the exception of a wedding set. A ring may be worn on any finger."

However, I am relatively positive that in areas where you deal with food the requirements are different. I'm pretty sure you can't wear jewelry outside of like a medical necklace so that food doesn't get caught in things and contaminate other food. I couldn't find that in the look book though. Someone else who was in Quick Service could tell you for sure though.

WDW_lover_in_SC
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
The Disney Look book says this about rings for costumed (and non-costumed) women. "Only one ring on each hand is permitted, with the exception of a wedding set. A ring may be worn on any finger."

However, I am relatively positive that in areas where you deal with food the requirements are different. I'm pretty sure you can't wear jewelry outside of like a medical necklace so that food doesn't get caught in things and contaminate other food. I couldn't find that in the look book though. Someone else who was in Quick Service could tell you for sure though.

You're correct.

Ikcerog
04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a question regarding getting a haircut on the park grounds.

Searching the board, I found one or two instances of people mentioning "Kingdom Kutters"; is KK open to CPs who aren't in Entertainment roles?
Being out in the heat, I am probably going to want a haircut at least once a week, and knowing there would be somewhere to go on Disney grounds would be much more convenient than having to hop on a bus to elsewhere in Orlando.
If this is an option, are the prices fairly average for a haircut? $15-$20 or so?

Dreamstuff
04-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a question regarding getting a haircut on the park grounds.

Searching the board, I found one or two instances of people mentioning "Kingdom Kutters"; is KK open to CPs who aren't in Entertainment roles?
Being out in the heat, I am probably going to want a haircut at least once a week, and knowing there would be somewhere to go on Disney grounds would be much more convenient than having to hop on a bus to elsewhere in Orlando.
If this is an option, are the prices fairly average for a haircut? $15-$20 or so?

Yeah it is an option, there's also Hairport International at Epcot and one or two other places I believe, and they're available to all cast members.

TinkStitch
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I know quite a few CMs get haircuts at the Main Street barber shop, just cuz they went to kingdom kutters & hairport and didn't like them. We get a discount there & the wait isn't usually too bad there.

KirstenMB
05-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Guess I'll hijack this thread with a question too:)

I know they only allow studs in the lowest part of your ears but do they actually check to make sure you aren't wearing any others? I have multiple piercings and was going to put clear retainers in my upper ear piercings. My hair is short enough that I can't put it up but long enough that it covers my ears so I didn't think it would be a big problem.

progroupie
05-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Depends on your locations managers and how observant/serious they are about the Disney Look.
I worked with people who used clear retainers and no one ever mentioned it to them. I also worked with people who wore their upper ear piercings and apparently no one noticed.

Practically.Perfect
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM

I know they only allow studs in the lowest part of your ears but do they actually check to make sure you aren't wearing any others? I have multiple piercings and was going to put clear retainers in my upper ear piercings. My hair is short enough that I can't put it up but long enough that it covers my ears so I didn't think it would be a big problem.

I wouldn't on your first day. At casting you go through a Disney Look check. I was a little surprised by this, since it was one of the first things we did, but if you meet Disney Look, you'll have nothing to worry about. The worse that would happen would be that they tell you to take them out and remind you not to wear them to traditions/work, but better to not wear them and not be called out on your first day. As far a work locations go some a more strict than others

Itsjen516
05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
why are they soooooooo strict with the disney look ?
i mean ok i get if you have 865986906 tattoos all over your face :rotfl2: but what if u have a heart on your wrist :-\ why would it matter sooo much

progroupie
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
The goal of the Disney Look is to give all CM's a timeless appearance that can fit in anywhere in the parks or resorts. So even small non-offensive tattoos are a no-no, a visible tattoo isn't going to go with the look of the costumes on Main Street USA or at The Grand Floridian.

indianabrit
05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
i mean ok i get if you have 865986906 tattoos all over your face :rotfl2: but what if u have a heart on your wrist :-\ why would it matter sooo much

I worked at a Chick-Fil-A for two years and they were pretty strict (like Disney) about their dress code. We weren't allowed to have unnaturally colored hair, dangly earrings, visible tattoos, our socks HAD to be black, no nail polish, no rings (unless married), etc.

I believe that both Disney and Chick-Fil-A are all about training their employees for something bigger than themselves. Their strict dresscodes helps people prepare for a more professional "grown up" world.

It irks me sometimes when people whine/freak out about their piercings closing when they have to take them out or that they have to cover their tattoos for a job. It's a job. You're making money. You're gaining experiences. I think that's a little bit more important than anything else.

Prock
05-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Because Disney views a visit to a theme park as a show, and that nothing can take away from that, so a guest will only see things that contribute to the show.

Frizzbird
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM

All of the things people above me mentioned are true but another aspect is that you are going to interact with guests from all over the world with all sorts of different religions and morality codes. What you may think is little and harmless may be offensive to someone else. Even if it is just a heart, tattoos can make you seem unapproachable to others depending on their culture, religion, etc. Also I personally know some older more conservative folk who are not comfortable around people with tattoos. Disney wants to avoid ostracizing guests at all costs. Disney look is just as much about making so guests feel totally comfortable approaching you as it is anything else.

Kilayi
05-10-2011, 09:01 PM

It's not just Disney that has strict rules against tattoos. Many large employers have rule that no tattoos may be visible while working. They all want to portray a common conservative attitude. It makes sense for companies to want to portray that attitude, so that no one feels excluded, younger or older.

Maybe you should get the heart somewhere other than your wrist, that would usually be covered by normal clothing? Like your upper arm or shoulder? You can always wear longer sleeves to cover that.

MonorailPilotMulan
05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Keep in mind that some lines of businesses such asMerchandise, Entertainment and QSFB have extra nail and jewlery restrictions, apart from the Disney Look. For example if your Merchandise location also sells non-packaged food rings must be as plain as possible, no stones at all.

cindyr222
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Is it ok for guys to have bangs or do they need to have their hair parted on the side for the Disney Look? Also what about black dress pants, dress shoes, short sleeved dress shirt and tie for traditions. Is that ok or too casual? On the casting day do they need to be dressed up since they are looking them over? Is plaid dress shorts and a golf or polo shirt ok for going to casting on check in day/ Thanks for your help.

disneymegs
05-23-2011, 12:29 PM
I believe a short sleeved dress shirt is okay. At check-in you will get a Disney look booklet explaining everything. Also, there is some outdoor walking involved in Traditions, so the cooler the better!

MonorailPilotMulan
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
If anyone would like a sneek peek at some Disney Look guidelines try this link:

http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/casting/wdw_guidelines.html

If you go on the WDW jobs website and click "Apply" and continue far enough, you'll find a page where you'll need to agree to follow the Disney Look. I'm also pretty sure that men to not need to have their hair parted ;)

cindyr222
05-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Thank you very much for your quick response.:)

pookiefreeze
04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah it is an option, there's also Hairport International at Epcot and one or two other places I believe, and they're available to all cast members.

Does anyone know how to get a job at one of the back stage salons like Hairport or Kingdom Kutz>???? I am a stylist of 17 years who is moving to Orlando in September...

eadavis
04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
They used to be outsourced through Niki Bryan, but there was a big switch in January

Berlioz70
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know how to get a job at one of the back stage salons like Hairport or Kingdom Kutz>???? I am a stylist of 17 years who is moving to Orlando in September...

It's a Cosmetology job - so you'd just apply like a regular cosmo job through Disney Careers.

SyracuseWolvrine
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Is it ok for guys to have bangs or do they need to have their hair parted on the side for the Disney Look? Also what about black dress pants, dress shoes, short sleeved dress shirt and tie for traditions. Is that ok or too casual? On the casting day do they need to be dressed up since they are looking them over? Is plaid dress shorts and a golf or polo shirt ok for going to casting on check in day/ Thanks for your help.

I brush my hair straight forward, no part. However, I also keep my hair pretty short, and it stops at the top of my forehead (above 2 inches above my eyebrows, for reference)

sephorachick
04-08-2013, 07:37 AM
I don't think any food role allows watches.

I worked QSFB @ All Star Music & wore a watch everyday w/ no problems.

sephorachick
04-08-2013, 07:39 AM

I got my hair highlighted & cut in the tunnels at that Hair salon it is TINY but I forget the name of it... It was cheap :)

sephorachick
04-08-2013, 07:40 AM

I had a piercing at top of my ear & they made me take it out......

Hollsey
04-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I worked QSFB @ All Star Music & wore a watch everyday w/ no problems.

Not trying to be rude, and I'm not sure how long ago that was, but I worked at Intermission on my last program 3 years ago, and if my managers were picky enough to make sure my ponytail formed itself into a bun on my first day (And subsequently got a little upset with me when I was training a new CP a few months later and forgot to tell her to do the same thing because it had become so second-nature) I'm not entirely sure they'd allow a watch? :confused3 Unless someone was a cashier for the day (or maybe busser) I'm not sure I see that as being possible, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure as to why you'd need one, really. Seems like there are clocks everywhere at Intermission!

I wouldn't advise people to wear a watch if they're in QSFB no matter where they work without asking a leader first. QSFB is such a strict role in terms of what things you can and cannot wear.

xxcourt
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
For Traditions, would it be acceptable to bring more comfortable shoes to change into for the walking part of the tour? I know I need to be dressed professionally from head to toe for the class, but if I brought black Toms to put on for the walking would that be okay?

eadavis
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
If they are not in Disney Look, then they are not allowed. You will be in the park in the presence of guests, if there ever was a time to be in Disney Look, that would be it.

Cais
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
For Traditions, would it be acceptable to bring more comfortable shoes to change into for the walking part of the tour? I know I need to be dressed professionally from head to toe for the class, but if I brought black Toms to put on for the walking would that be okay?

Absolutely not and we train our facilitators to watch out for this.

xxcourt
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
If they are not in Disney Look, then they are not allowed. You will be in the park in the presence of guests, if there ever was a time to be in Disney Look, that would be it.

Absolutely not and we train our facilitators to watch out for this.

Thank you for your help! I had read mixed things about this and I am glad I got a definite answer. Thanks again!

ArielinWonderland
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM

This may be different for Disney World, but I did the program last spring in Disneyland. We were told that, just for Traditions, since we would be doing a lot of walking, we were allowed to wear solid black or solid white sneakers instead of dressier shoes.

I wore solid black Ked-type shoes and was fine.

I think they told us this during a short orientation we had at TDA the day before Traditions.

surferdude
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Incase anyone has more questions, the CP blog posted an article about eyewear and had a link to all of their Disney Look articles (https://disneyprogramsblog.com/?tag=disney-look).popcorn::

Mama Who
04-08-2013, 08:35 PM

I think part of it is the slippery slope.

You have a small heart. If Disney decides that's fine...

I'm a Christian and I get a small cross in the same spot. Disney still thinks that's okay, unlikely to offend anyone, right?

My friend is a Wiccan. She gets a small pentacle in the same spot. Now people who don't know better are complaining about the "devil worshiper." But because Disney allowed *my* religious tattoo, they can't disallow hers. Suddenly they have the potential for a discrimination charge if they do anything and guest complaints if they don't.

No tattoos is just easier. Otherwise someone has to sit down and decide which tattoos are okay and which ones aren't. That's not a headache I'd want either, honestly.

sephorachick
04-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Not trying to be rude, and I'm not sure how long ago that was, but I worked at Intermission on my last program 3 years ago, and if my managers were picky enough to make sure my ponytail formed itself into a bun on my first day (And subsequently got a little upset with me when I was training a new CP a few months later and forgot to tell her to do the same thing because it had become so second-nature) I'm not entirely sure they'd allow a watch? :confused3 Unless someone was a cashier for the day (or maybe busser) I'm not sure I see that as being possible, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure as to why you'd need one, really. Seems like there are clocks everywhere at Intermission!

I wouldn't advise people to wear a watch if they're in QSFB no matter where they work without asking a leader first. QSFB is such a strict role in terms of what things you can and cannot wear.

I guess it just depends on mgmt. I didn't have a cell phone on my CP & I needed to know the time..... Granted I did DCP a long time ago ;) I worked mainly at the bakery on my CP which I loved. :) I don't see how wearing a watch is not in the rules. I guess it is just up to mgfmt at your specfic location. If you are worried about it just ask your boss.... I was asked to remove an earring in my upper ear which I totally forgot about & that was fine.

eadavis
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
i mean ok i get if you have 865986906 tattoos all over your face but what if u have a heart on your wrist :-\ why would it matter sooo much

Let me put down my glass of Kool-Aid,

The "Disney Look" dates back to 1955 when DLR opened, Walt wanted his staff to have a clean-cut look and a timeless appearance. He wanted a clean park where all guests would feel welcome. Tattoos are common among younger generations but visible tattoos are viewed as unprofessional in many working environments, especially within the Disney atmosphere. Over the years, there have been changes to the Disney Look but the core principles still stay the same.

These are the rules, read them, understand them, ask if you have questions. If you feel the rules don't apply to you, don't bother unpacking when you check in.

Yes, this is harsh, deal with it :clown:

SkyinNeverland
04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Did anyone have a nose piercing before they went to the DCP, and how did you handle it? I always figured I would have to take it out, but I've heard of spacers?

MagicKid89
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I have a 2' by 5' Tattoo inside my foram, when I applied My recruter asked if I had any tattoo's I said Yes.
She said she has some too.
As long as they are coverd everything is cool :cool1:
She even recomended some make-up brands that work wonderful to cover tattoos.

Xion
04-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Question!! I have naturally "Big" hair. It's curly, lies down a bit, but it's "big". I wouldn't call it wild or anything, and I spend each morning getting it to look as kempt as possible. It's just..well... it's big! :confused3 There's alot of it. Think Merida, only shoulder-length. Far from 1950's..

I know that the Disney Look wants hair to be kept in a "conservative manner," but what does that exactly entail? I mean, I can always straighten it, but with the Flordian humidity, it's only a matter of time before it poofs out each day, and chemical straighteners are out of the question. (My hair has fallen out due to them on multiple occasions). Would my natural hair be acceptable or should I wig it out/invest in a weave? Are we allowed to wear wigs? (Yes, I've actually worn wigs to interviews for this reason alone... *Sigh*)

Wishes Count
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Question!! I have naturally "Big" hair. It's curly, lies down a bit, but it's "big". I wouldn't call it wild or anything, and I spend each morning getting it to look as kempt as possible. It's just..well... it's big! :confused3 There's alot of it. Think Merida, only shoulder-length. Far from 1950's..

I know that the Disney Look wants hair to be kept in a "conservative manner," but what does that exactly entail? I mean, I can always straighten it, but with the Flordian humidity, it's only a matter of time before it poofs out each day, and chemical straighteners are out of the question. (My hair has fallen out due to them on multiple occasions). Would my natural hair be acceptable or should I wig it out/invest in a weave? Are we allowed to wear wigs? (Yes, I've actually worn wigs to interviews for this reason alone... *Sigh*)

Your hair should be fine, depending on your role you might prefer to wear it pulled back in a pony tail or bun, both of those are appropriate. You can wear a wig if you like, as long as it looks natural and looks like it is a natural color for your skin tone.

moret1sm
04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Once upon a time back in 2005 I was a safari guide at AK, a manager, Ester, came up to me smiling and said, "Stephanie, you're such a pretty girl, and you did very well on you're ride through...." Then came the BUT..... "But I was wondering if you could wear a more neutral color on your eyes so we can focus on the rest of your pretty features," I was thinking, damn she's good. I couldn't be mad at her cuz she played her card so well! I traded in my blue for brown and never had another problem. But all these years later, that is one thing I remember!

SFGamerBabe
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm confused about the shoe situation for Traditions/professional dress. On the Disney site it says "Dress shoes or boots in good business taste are required. Classic dress shoes are permitted to have an open toe, open heel and/or sling back."

But I've read former female CPs say that shoes can ONLY have a small peep-toe OR a sling back. Did Disney just become more lax with the rules?

Also, would a sleeveless dress (but with straps on each shoulder about 3 inches wide) be appropriate for Traditions?

Xion
04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Ah, alrighty then. Thanks Wishes!!

Berlioz70
04-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm confused about the shoe situation for Traditions/professional dress. On the Disney site it says "Dress shoes or boots in good business taste are required. Classic dress shoes are permitted to have an open toe, open heel and/or sling back."

But I've read former female CPs say that shoes can ONLY have a small peep-toe OR a sling back. Did Disney just become more lax with the rules?

Also, would a sleeveless dress (but with straps on each shoulder about 3 inches wide) be appropriate for Traditions?

The shoe rules were changed in spring 2010 that you can now have the peep toe and a sling back. The open toe as it reads above means that no more than 2 of your toes should be visible, so it's still technically a peep toe, just worded vaguely.