PDA

View Full Version : For People Who are Flying...

OCgirl
04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
For those of us that are flying, how much did you buy and pack before you left? I am attempting to fit everything into one large checked bag and one carry on. Do you think it is possible to fit everything? I am a girl, so I tend to pack more than a guy, but I know that I can't afford to overpack. Were there any clothes that you packed too many of (like shirts, shorts, sweats?)

Also, how much did you spend once you arrived? Those that drive have the ability to bring things from home/shop during sales. Since I will need things as soon as I get there, I can see it being a bit more pricey.

Thank you for your help!

beautybutafunnygirl
04-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm driving so unfortunately I can't be of much help to you, but one of my friends did the Fall CP last year and she flew. To help with space she left her fall and winter clothes at home because her family visited in September, and they brought it for her then. In case that applies!

Jool-e
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm not planning on flying either, but linens and stuff like shampoo can be purchased when you get there. And you can always ship the stuff you can't fit in your suitcase and don't need right away.

aznshents
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Space bags, space bags, space bags.

Also the above poster was not kidding when she said if you really don't need it, don't bring it, as you can and will buy the smaller things when you get down here. I was the only person in my 3br apt that bought a comforter down when we arrived. (I think some of my roomies still dont have one...?)

Kilayi
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I just found out that I'm flying, thanks to my awesome uncle. :D
I too am grappling with what to pack for the plane, and what to pack so my family can ship it to me.

The thing with me is that I've been living away from home in my own apartment for a years now, so i don't want to have to buy things down there that I have already bought for apartment living. It doesn't make sense financially to re buy linens and kitchen stuff, and I'm torn on what to bring to have immediately and what to have shipped.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you've done the CP before, what sort of things that brought initially that you really didn't use often, and what sort of things that you had to buy that no one seemed to think of (vacuum, coffee pot, blender, etc)?

Thanks!

Yes,IStillLoveDisney
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I drove but I can still give a pretty good idea what to bring/leave from my roommates and my experiences. Also, consider Southwest since you can get 2 bags free plus a carry-on and a school-size backpack that fits under the seat.

First, you don't need a vacuum, they have them at the front desk to check out. They actually have a lot of cleaning supplies but most likely you are going to want at least a broom and some basics that can all be purchased cheap if a roommate who drove down doesn't have them. The vacuum is a $1 for the bag though.

Basically assume that if it is not provided by housing but for the kitchen/living room, one of your roommates with a car will bring it.

Things Not to Bring (Either Ships or do without later)
- A ton of clothes (you can get by with a few weeks worth and have the rest shipped)

- All your shoes (Keep in mind you will have to buy work shoes ones you get there anyways so only bring 1 or 2 pairs you will need until then, make sure you have dress shoes for Traditions though)

- Toiletries (You will more likely than not go with your roommates to grocery shop/get things for the apartment on your first day anyways so only bring some if you are staying the night before and even then stick to the travel sizes)

- Kitchen stuff (your roommates will probably have it or you can ship it later/buy and split the cost)

- Hangers (You can get them for a $1 or 2 at Walmart and Target and they are hard to find space for)

Bring:
- Sheets, if you are the type of person like me who has to have a comforter consider space bags or shipping it since they take up so much space. A lot that fly just don't bring one.

- Dress clothes (Traditions will be before your stuff is shipped)

- Light jacket (You wont use it much in the summer but it is good to have with)

- Umbrella (You will understand the first day you are there when it starts raining at 5pm, also, we discovered that due to the 5pm rain, umbrellas are a lot more expensive down there, haha)

There are more but that is what I can think of now.

thisisemily
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I would recommend looking into purchasing a Samsonite Tote-a-Ton bag. It is super light weight, and it is the largest size that the airlines will let you check.
They are fairly inexpensive, and they even come in PURPLE! The "official" CP color :)

EDIT: They are ON SALE right now! CLICK HERE :) (http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-Tote-A-Ton-Duffle-Bag/dp/B003L7T762?ie=UTF8&id=Samsonite%20Tote-A-Ton%20Duffle%20Bag&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2314393011&searchSize=12&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=2314393011&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolo r_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank). Normally $60, on sale for $29.99. A pretty good deal, I'd say!! They fold down to pretty much nothing also. So they won't take up too much room in the apartment.

elphie101
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I will also be flying down this June, since my dad's an airline employee and that makes it a lot cheaper to fly than drive, and we're using that to my advantage. Both my parents want to come down the night before with me (they have friends in Orlando they want to visit), and so they're only packing a few overnight clothes while I'll be filling their suitcases with things for me. You can fit a week's worth of clothes in a carry-on size suitcase, and if you have a couple of those you can save your checked baggage for everything else. Admittedly this won't work if you're flying down by yourself, but hope this helps somebody!

Another tip I learned recently: generally (though maybe not with all airlines) if you need to check your baggage at the gate as opposed to the ticket counter, they won't charge you. I have a suitcase that is literally 1/2 a inch too big for overhead compartments, but since it looks like it COULD fit it can get through security, then it just gets taken away at the gate, avoiding fees. Wouldn't recommend it for everyone though ;)

BadDad
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Have your family ship the remaining stuff after you get your address. You can text it to them upon check-in.

Use USPS.

OCgirl
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM
The thing with me is that I've been living away from home in my own apartment for a years now, so i don't want to have to buy things down there that I have already bought for apartment living. It doesn't make sense financially to re buy linens and kitchen stuff, and I'm torn on what to bring to have immediately and what to have shipped.

This is my issue as well. I live quite far from my family (about a 10 hour drive) and am trying to avoid having to deal with shipping items, but I don't want to repurchase things I already have IF I need them. Having to make my family drive a long distance to access my storage unit to mail me a router isn't worth it, but bringing it and never using it is a waste as well, especially with the limited space of packing room when flying.

Scully12
04-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I flew down when I did my CP. Mom mom and I flew on Southwest so we got to take a total fo 4 bags free since they have the 2 bags a person free policy. My mom was only staying a night so she just had a carry on. I would have had 3 bags but I ended up bringing a comforter/sheets down with me because I got it for like $10 on sale at Target...

I personally would have trouble just packing on bag...I pack one huge bag for a two week trip, so I'd need more for 6.5 months!

Those space bags really do work...but the thing to be careful about is being able to reseal/shrink them when you go HOME. The vacuums may not have an arm attachment to suck the air out.

Walmart has a site to store program where you can buy something online and have it shipped to any Walmart (so like the closest one to Vista/Chatham/wherever). I would suggest this for things like sheets and foam mattress things because there are sooo manyy people checking in that day things can sell out (My mom and I went to 4 different stores before I found the foam thing and pillows and hangers because the other stores were sold out).

Good luck!!!

Kilayi
04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I personally would have trouble just packing on bag...I pack one huge bag for a two week trip, so I'd need more for 6.5 months!

haha, when I went abroad, I survived on a large hiking backpack (with less clothes packed than snacks and souvenirs) for 4 weeks... I'm sure I can pack more than I think I can in a large rolling suitcase :P