PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to do the CP and study abroad?

simplyannie23
04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I want to do both in college, do you think it's possible to do both!?

Kilayi
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I totally am doing both. :)
I went to India last summer, and I'm now graduating and doing the CP.
Just figure out when you want to do it, and what programs will be available. At least at my school, we had to sign up the fall before we wanted to go, and had to start making payments. For example, I had to sign up in Fall 09 for Summer 10.
Check with your financial aid, and with your advisers, and I'm sure it'll make it all easier to figure out!

Where were you thinking of going?

collegejunkie
04-02-2011, 02:57 AM
this has entirely do with your college's requirements for graduation and credit. it is certainly possible to do both as long as your school will allow you to do both and have them count. you should talk to your registrar and to an advisor. hope that helps!

Dreamstuff
04-02-2011, 06:04 AM
You should be able to considering that on semester abroad programs you go to school just like normal albeit in another country. There's nothing to worry about for classes and things like there is with the CP in most cases.

Kilayi
04-02-2011, 04:41 PM
It depends on if you want a summer, semester, or year program, really. What I mentioned that I did was a summer program.

You have to just do your research.

You have to figure out if all the classes you'll be taking will count for anything for you, and if you're prepared to spend longer at your university to catch up if the classes don't count for anything. Chances are, you have less of a tight major (with electives) than I had. I'm an art major and we got NO academic electives, so my study abroad program didn't count for anything for my art major, but it counted toward my second major.

Granted, I'm graduating after being here for 5 years instead of 4, but I wouldn't trade it for the world though. Going abroad was so worth it :thumbsup2

MissRiss89
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
It's all up to your school, your study abroad program you choose, and your major in school. I transferred after my CP to UCF and lost about 40 credits in the process (nearly 3 semester's worth.) I never thought study abroad would EVER be an option for me, considering I was already working as hard as possible to shove as many classes into each semester to graduate as early as possible. And yet, last summer I found myself on a 3 week long study abroad program, taking classes towards my major. Although 3 weeks is a very short period of time for study abroad, it definitely fulfilled the part of me that had wanted to go abroad while not putting me any further behind in school, and I loved every second of it. Look into what programs your school offers, as well as talking to your advisor and seeing what he/she recommends. I'm only graduating 1 semester behind when my advisors and department chairs have told me from the start I would never be able to do it- and that's with doing a CP, transferring, AND study abroad!

DisneyGirl421
04-02-2011, 07:29 PM
I techincally did both!

I studied abroad in Italy fall semester my junior year, and then did the CP right after I graduated, starting the fall advantage program in June after graduation in May.

So it is possible, albeit I did the CP after graduation!

summb003
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I did the Spring Advantage in 2005 and Summer Alumni in 2006 and did a study abroad in 2007.....and graduated early in 2008! But it does depend on your school and whether or not they recognize the college program as credit...because let's be honest...those classes on the CP are a joke. Haha.

pinke7319
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I studied abroad in Russia last summer, right after my freshmen year and I'm planning on applying every semester until I get into the Disney college program, Studying abroad actually put me ahead of my class, I'm technically a junior even though I still have a quarter of my second year left. The extra credits really helped and I had a fantastic time studying abroad.

Last night I was actually musing over how much easier it was to be accepted to study abroad then to participate in the Disney College Program. I always tell people that studying abroad was my #1 best decision I made in college (so far...)