PDA

View Full Version : If your kids wear a Uniform to school

pigletto
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
I was just curious what you pay for their uniforms? Is it one company that you have to buy from?
I just went and bought dd's high school uniform pieces.
I will list what we got:

1 pair of walking shorts
2 long sleeve Oxford Shirts
2 short sleeve polos
1 kilt
2 pairs of pants
1 pullover sweater
1 long sleeve t-shirt
1 cardigan
and 1 sweatshirt.

She won't have gym until 10th grade so we didn't even bother with gym clothes yet. The long sleeve t shirt and sweatshirt can only be worn on spirit days that you have to pay to participate in.

Grand total.. 650 dollars:scared1:

I think I am just stunned being hit with all of that at once. I am usually a pretty smart sale shopper. So that's a lot for me.

So it made me curious if everyone else pays that much. We can only buy shoes, socks and tights from other stores. Everything else must come from the one Uniform supplier.

Vijoge
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
My son attended a parochial high school. Uniforms were black or brown dress shoes, dark socks, khaki pants, black belt, and a white polo with the school logo. Everything except the shirts could be purchased wherever we chose. The shirts had to be bought from the school and cost about $15-$20 each.

kato0627
03-30-2011, 08:19 PM
My kids attend private school in NJ. We also have to buy our uniforms from one supplier. Funny thing is,the clothes wear horribly. The prices are outrageous. I feel your pain

pigletto
03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
There's good and bad things about it I suppose. I am thrilled that it takes all of the "I have nothing to wear!!!!!" out of the morning routine for one.
But on the other hand I thought to myself "The first time she leaves that 80 dollar sweater at a friends house I'm going to lose my mind":rolleyes1

NotUrsula
03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Quite frankly, your school is shafting you by requiring you to shop exclusively at one supplier. (I sure hope that you just ordered the pieces and didn't actually take possession -- a lot of growing might happen between now and the end of August. DS is heading into HS this year, too, and I flat refused to purchase anything for him now, because he is liable to be 4 inches taller by the time school starts.)

Now that you know the brand name of the uniforms, shop around online to see if you can get a better price. There could be supplier elsewhere in the country with better prices. Also, check the parents' club to find out when the uniform swap sales are; I've never known a private school yet that didn't have them in one form or another.

Girls uniforms generally ARE a bit more expensive than boys, but that is because of the plaids -- you can only reliably get the authorized plaid at the official supplier. Anything else that does not have the school name or logo on it should be something that you can buy anywhere you like as long as it meets certain style and color parameters.

Around here, though the girls are allowed to wear walking shorts in summer uniform season, they don't -- ever. It just isn't done. They wear their plaids at all times. I'd double-check with a girl who is already in the school to find out if any of the pieces that you bought are considered "uncool" -- in which case you'll want to cancel that part of the order. If the skirt custom holds true as it does here, you'll need a second kilt but no trousers or shorts. (In winter here the girls travel to and from school with plain sweatpants on under their skirts, and then remove the sweatpants once they get inside the building.)

DS' uniforms normally cost me about $230 a year, not counting shoes, but I don't buy everything at once. I wait to buy the long trousers at the end of shorts' season, and vice-versa. There is just no way that clothes purchased in August will still be fitting him in April.

Princess Nancy
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I am shocked you bought 8 shirts!

My Kids go to private HS. They each only have 2 shirts and 2 sweatshirts.

They have worn well. One child is a Jr and one is a Sr.

Overall, I think the uniforms have been a great buy!

My son owns 2 pairs of pants and dd has 2 skirts and one pant.

pigletto
03-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I did check with dd's best friend and my sister (she's only 2 years out of the same school) to see what pieces are worn.

Unfortunately, every single shirt has the logo so I don't know that I could get it anywhere else. They do wear the shorts here, and the kilts in summer season.

I may have only needed one oxford.. but I opted for two for the sake of not having to wash the only one in a rush late at night. Just seemed easier to have two.
The sweaters are required winter uniform, and you must have an oxford or polo underneath. No exceptions. White collar must be visible. I just checked the dress code policy. You can take the sweater off if you are too hot.. but have to have it with you (which seems ridiculous) so I imiagine the rule about having the collared shirt underneath is for that.

It's all a little overwhelming. The policy is very very strict, but the school is 1500 kids so I imagine they need it that way.
We don't do alterations until August and the clothes are roomy so hopefully that covers any growing she may do over the summer.

LoriABil
03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
DS is in private school. The shirts are from a single supplier, but we can order pants and shorts from Lands End, which is nice because there are sales, free shipping, plus I can get cash back from Ebates. They can also wear jeans, from anywhere as long as they are not cargos or "worn" looking.

I think you might be over ordering, but it is hard the first time, and I'm sure more so with a girl! Our 1st year we ordered
2 long sleeve polo shirts
3 short sleeve polo shirts
1 sweater (required for dress days)
1 sweat shirt
2 pairs of khaki pants
3 pairs of khaki shorts

We got our jeans, blue shirt (required for dress-up day), shoes (any tennis not light up), brown dress shoes and brown belt elsewhere.

He never wore the sweat shirt! We could have got by with 2 short sleeve polos and 2 shorts. He refused to wear jeans at first (he preferred the khakis) but after he ripped a hole in the 3rd pair, we put our foot down. He wears jeans now. We order considerably less every year, and try to order a size up so it lasts longer. So far, we won't have a bill as large as the first year until DS goes to middle school, when they will wear blazers and ties for dress up days, and they start wearing blue shirts instead of red.

rock*mom
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Uniforms are expensive...so I only buy short sleeved shirts/blouses since she has to have a sweater, in the winter she wears her sweater almost daily. I also didn't but the walking shorts, since we had the skort. I don't buy everything on the list, only what I know my daughter is going to wear. Why have a cardigen and a pullover?

I am not restricted to purchase from a certain store this year...however I still purchase from that store (Buckhead Uniforms) because the quality was awesome. The cut of her skorts, plaid skirt/kilt, and jumpers (when younger) allowed for more than one year of wear-my daughter really tall.

5 short sleeved polos (so I don't have to wash during week)
1 blouse-required for feild trips/special events
1 kilt
1 skort
2 pants
1 sweater

pigletto
03-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I think you might be over ordering, but it is hard the first time

I think so too:rolleyes1 This stuff is all so new to me. There was a point where she was being surly about trying stuff on where I threatened to make all of her uniforms (and I don't sew) which seemed to straighten her out a bit:rotfl:

walkdmc
03-30-2011, 09:51 PM
We do have to purchase from one uniform shop. Luckily, we live very close to the shop. Some folks have to drive over an hour to shop there.

There's a Spring and Winter uniform and I usually spend at least $500 on each season for each boy (I have 2). Well, I'm waiting to see what happens in terms of DS #2 grows into DS #1's old clothes but I'm finding DS #1 really wears his clothes out so I'm buying a lot of new clothes for DS #2, vs. him wearing dirty ripped hand me downs.

3 long-sleeved white dress shirts
2 polyester vests w/school name
3 ties
1 belt
4 pairs of school pants
1 gym sweat pants and shirt
1 gym T-shirt
black socks
Buster Brown shoes

In the Spring, we switch to short-sleeved polos and no vest or tie.

disneychrista
03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Are they cheaper now then at the beginning of the year? Just curious why you would buy something in March that isn't needed until August, unless it was cheaper.

NYCDiane
03-30-2011, 10:02 PM
When my DD was in parochial school, I made the mistake of buying all the uniform stuff at the "suggested" (ie: ONLY) uniform store. As the year went on, I realized I could buy the same items for 1/2 of 1/3 of the price at places like Children's Place, JCPenney, or even WalMart. As for the plaid dresses? I went to the local church thrift store and there were a ton of them there! I got 3 of them, plus school sweatshirts, sweater, and a ton of other stuff for $5. (it was "stuff a bag" day for children's clothing. lucky me! LOL!)

pigletto
03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Are they cheaper now then at the beginning of the year? Just curious why you would buy something in March that isn't needed until August, unless it was cheaper.

Nope. Not cheaper. They send the order forms to all the feeder schools in February, and give you your day and time to come in March. So we went and ordered and tried things on today (at the High School in the cafeteria). In August all the orders come in and you have another appointment to come in and have all the alterations done (also in the cafeteria).

I paid a 50% deposit today. Balance is due in August (so 325 of the 650 was paid today).
ETA ) I imagine they do it this way because of the sheer volume of orders. I think this company handles all of the high schools in this School Board.. so that would be thousands of new grade 9's in the 8 high schools in the area.)

disneychrista
03-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Nope. Not cheaper. They send the order forms to all the feeder schools in February, and give you your day and time to come in March. ...In August all the orders come in and you have another appointment to come in and have all the alterations done (also in the cafeteria).
What happens if you happen to move between now and August? Do you get your money back?

Princess_Meghan <3
03-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Have you looked into if your school does a used uniform sale or not? When I was in private school, all of the schools I attended had a used uniform sale- they only sold gently used clothing, and they were all in great condition. I added those clothes into what my mom bought me freshman year to give me a better selection fo uniform pieces.

All of our regular uniform pieces had to be purchased through the bookstore.

I went through high school with 5 polo shirts, and I only had 5 because my mom ordered the wrong size my freshman year- the polos ran pretty big. I wore an adult small and it was still big on me, and my mom ordered me 3 in a medium because the lady at the bookstore assured her it would fit me just fine. When I got them, I was basically swimming in them :laughing:

I also had two school skirts, and a blazer, along with 3 short sleeved blouses and 1 long sleeved blouse for the winter and a sweatshirt.

Our school's polos ran about $40 each, and the blazers were $80. We had the option of getting sweaters, but hardly anyone at my school wore them, so my mom never got me a sweater. The same went for the pants and shorts- I think maybe fifteen girls out of the entire school wore shorts and pants instead of skirts. My school skirt was the same one I wore in middle school, so my mother only bought just altered the hem and moved the buttons as I grew instead of buying new ones. She also bought socks and tights through the school, and we later learned to look for sales at Penny's for those.

My school shoes were not bought through the school, and the shoes I wore all 4 years were my Sperry Topsiders.

I would guess that my freshman year my mom spent minimum $400 on uniforms for me. When our uniform policy changed halfway through highschool, she spent even more.

My mom told me if I lost my blazer I wouldn't be getting another one- since we got detention for no blazer during winter uniform, I kept track of mine very carefully. It definitely made me be more responsible because I didn't want to end up in detention.

Purseval
03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
My kid's school also had a uniform swap every year. You could buy shirts for as little as 25 cents each.

crazelion
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
WOW You go to one supplier for uniforms. My kids go to magnet school I can buy there schools anywhere. Wal-mart, Target, Flea market. Yes I said the flea market the woman had my kids school colors and fit my son to a T. My kids school as long as the uniform fit there requires you buy from anywhere.

enchantingodin
03-31-2011, 12:37 AM
My boys are in public school. And in our district elementary and middle wear uniforms. (For boys it's polo shirts - in about 5 color options, khaki or navy shorts/pants and a belt.) High schoolers, however, do not have to wear them. Thankfully we can get them where ever we want cause there is no WAY I could spend $650 for each of them. :eek: That's more than are family spends on clothing (including shoes) in a year!

fi46re129
03-31-2011, 01:32 AM
My son goes to a private catholic school in North NJ. We are suppose to buy our uniforms from one company I however only buy select items. I buy his blue slacks form gap or walmart his black dress shoes from walmart or payless and same for his belt and socks. The gym clothes are all have a logo so they must come from the uniform store. For his dress shirts I bought 3 because he wears them 3 days a week and 2 gym uniforms because they wear them 2 days a week. They are required to wear sweaters oct-april so to save money I went for the v-neck long sleeve and only bought short sleeve dress shirts. That way her could wear them the whole year. 650$ seems like and awful lot! See if you can cut corners with clothes form elsewhere and return some

pklein09
03-31-2011, 05:28 AM
DS13 has attended the American Boychoir School for the past 4 years (he graduates in June). Because they sing, the boys are required to have 3 different uniforms: regular, travel, and dress. I did not know there was a used uniform sale through the school and bought everything new through Flynn & O'Hara - I dropped about $1000 that day. We had to buy 9 polos, 8 pairs of slacks, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 oxfords, 2 sweater vests, 2 long sleeved sweaters, 1 fleece jacket, 1 fleece vest, and 2 ties through the F&O'H. Navy blue turtlenecks, belts, socks, and shoes could come from anywhere. The quality of the clothes is fantastic. He hasn't grown much, and the polos I bought 4 years ago still fit and still look great. The fleeces and sweaters also have worn beautifully. The only thing I've needed to replace have been his pants....he's gone from a 10S to a 14S. Some pants I've purchased new and some I've been able to get through the used clothing store.

Personally, I wish public schools in our area would do uniforms....it's so much easier!

java
03-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Personally, I wish public schools in our area would do uniforms....it's so much easier!

I don't because clearly it's not cheaper. Add on "casual weekend " clothing and you have to take out a loan!

pklein09
03-31-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't because clearly it's not cheaper. Add on "casual weekend " clothing and you have to take out a loan!

I think if you are required to purchase uniforms from a specific retailer, then, yes, it could be more expensive. However, if the uniform is khaki pants and a navy polo that can be purchased anywhere, you have the ability to shop sales and less expensive retailers. Because the kids are wearing uniforms during the week, you don't need a huge amount of casual clothes...maybe 5 changes of clothing max....and because they're not being worn as much, they last longer. Just my opinion after having 1 child wear uniforms for 4 years and 3 children who did not.

irish_trip_mom
03-31-2011, 07:49 AM
My kids are third graders. I've been lucky and had neighbors pass down jumpers to my daughter, but this year had to buy her two at approx. $40 each. That, 4 blouses and her PE uniform.

My son can wear any blue pants, and we are lucky to take advantage of the uniform exchange for his pants ($1 each or trade a pair in.) PE uniform as well, and shorts for the warm weather uniform. We save a bit on the kids PE uniforms and his polos, as my neighbor has an imprinting/embroidery business, and will do shirts for about $5 less than the uniform store.

I would rather pay for a uniform any day. We don't have nearly as many casual clothes b/c of that (and arguments on what to wear are limited to weekends.) Except for the polo shirts, everything wears well. My son has been wearing the same sweater for three years, and it still looks great.

poohfriend77
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
When my oldest DD started kindergarten, DH was very upset that we were "required" to buy all uniform pieces from the Catholic bookstore. The jumpers were $36 (up to $42 this year! :scared1:) and of course you can't get those anywhere else. Cardigans were $30, leggings were $20, polos were $20. I asked around, and luckily the school is not that picky about the leggins and polos. So I've been able to get leggings at Target for $5 and shirts at Old Navy for $6-8.

I bought 3 jumpers and the cardigan for kindergarten. Luckily they hold up really well and can be passed down to my younger DD, who is now in kindy.

Then last summer, we accidentally found the jumper on the Dickies web site when DH was ordering a work coat. We ordered one for about $25 to see if it really was the same. It is EXACTLY the same! So we ordered a couple more for them to start the school year. Then Dickies put them on clearance, and DH had a coupon code to make them $9!!! :banana: I now have a closet full of uniforms to last the next several years (a few of each size for older DD, plus at least one new one to supplement the hand-me-downs younger DD will wear). We saved money, and DH gets to feel like a rebel because he found a way around the "uniform monopoly." :rotfl:

PixiePlanner
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
DH gets to feel like a rebel because he found a way around the "uniform monopoly." :rotfl:

Too funny!

DS is in a new school here. The uniform is VERY strict. School Jacket, a white or light blue oxford shirt, a tie, belt, dress pants (khaki, navy or black) and brown or black shoes. The girls wear cross ties and can wear skirts too.

The only things I have to buy at the uniform store is the jacket and tie. I bought a pair of pants from them and then took them back because Old Navy had them for $10.

I think I have spent about $175 total for him. We were pleased with that.

Good luck.

carone0318
03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
My dd attends a catholic HS. There is only 1 supplier to buy the uniform from. The shoes can be bought at a couple of other places besides the uniform retailer. They wear a button down blouse, either short or long sleeve, that has the school initials on the collar. In the winter they do wear a blazer. They have a plaid skirt that they wear, year-round. In the winter the girls wear black tights and at the beginning of the school year and the end they can wear white ankle socks that also have the school initials on them.

I bought 3 skirts, 3 short sleeve shirts, the blazer, the shoes (from a different retailer because the uniform company didn't have her size) and 5 pairs of the ankle socks. I also bought 5 pairs of tights around end of October. I do wash every Wednesday to get her through the second half of the week.

Now for her sophomore year, I'll probably buy a few more shirts and skirts, maybe making it so I don't "have" to do wash every Wednesday.

I think in the end it was under $400 for everything.

2disneyboys
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
my boys attend a small private school, and yes we have to buy from 1 retailer. my thoughts are
1.. I knew this BEFORE I enrolled him so can't really compain
2... I love the way the clothes wear..they are so durable, that I have been able to save my oldest son's clothes and my youngest son fits them either a year or two later, and they still look great.
3. I also love not having to fight about what am I wearing today... although I suspect that would not be such a big fight w/ boys as it might with girls...

each year I spend about $750-1000 on school clothes for the boys total. (all the way from shoes/socks to jackets and in another $500-750 for "casual" clothes for weekends, vacations, summer, etc and I think that getting by with spending around $2,000 a year on 2 boys clothing is pretty good. I can live with that number! also its not like I spend this all at once and it's built into our budget so actually, it's painless.

I know in 2 years my oldest son will have to start wearing more "formal" wear (the Jr High kids and up have to wear blazers etc) so I'll have to increase our clothing budget some, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

DisneyCowgirl
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
1.. I knew this BEFORE I enrolled him so can't really compain

That is exactly right.

Our provider for uniforms is Sue Mills and their policy is that if the piece wears out during the school year for which it was purchased, they will replace it.

They never told me that, but the school employee who oversees the uniform told me that, and turns out it is true!

Our parents' club also does a uniform resale. Parents bring the outgrown uniform pieces. Volunteers periodically get together and go through them, throwing out ones that are not suitable for resale (torn, badly stained etc). Then all pieces are sold for $5 each. The school is very cooperative with this--there is space in an office designated for holding the uniforms and parents can go there any time, get what they need, and leave a check in the envelope.

In my getting close to 3 years at this school, I probably have spent $250 or less on uniforms (in total). I've only had to buy brand-new pieces a couple of times.

ccgirl
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Not sure what year she is in but I know the first year my DD started I purchased everything from the list. She only really needed a fraction of it.

Her clothes are nowhere near what you paid.

Her jumper (plaids) has to be purchased from the authorized retailer (as does anything else with the logo). I think it is around $40. She has two of them. They last her two years. She has one cardigan. She loses it, too bad so sad go chilly and learn to be more responsible. I only order uniforms ONCE. Bad mommy. :laughing:

I get her knee socks where ever they are the cheapest. They just have to be navy. She will not wear tights. I can get the yellow Peter pan oxford blouse anywhere I want. I found it online 2 years ago for $2 and got 3 different sizes. :lmao: She will only wear the short sleeve so I don't bother getting the long sleeve. They have gym twice a week. She has two pairs of sweatpants, 1 pair of shorts, 2 t shirts, and 1 sweatshirt for that.

This is her 3rd year and I have never had to buy all the pieces. I can get at least 2 years out of them. She is working on her 3rd year with the tshirts.

Shoes just have to be black with non skid soles. Usually I get them at Target for $8 when they go on sale. Gym days they were sneakers.

The most I have ever had to pay was $150. They have a consignment locker that I usually go to.

All of the gym clothes I am keeping for when my son goes there. The boys have the same gym uniform. Their uniforms are CHEAP..navy pants (from anywhere), black belt, black shows, yellow polo from authorized supplier. That's it. They can wear navy shorts as well.

Madeleinesmommy
03-31-2011, 10:38 AM
My daughter 3rd grade has to wear uniforms. All of our public schools in our city are uniform schools. She can wear blue or khaki pants/skirts. I get them from Children's Place or Old Navy. I always get a size bigger and suck in the elastic part on the inside waist band so that I can get maybe a year and 1/2 out of them. I buy leggings to go under them during the cold weather. She can wear any colored polo shirt. I get them from cheapestees.com. I paid about $5 a shirt. I was a bit skeptical as to how they would hold up but they have been fantastic. We have gone almost the whole year and they still look great. They have tons of colors to choose from. Makes it easy. Not too, too pricey.
Hope it helps.:surfweb:

labdogs42
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
My DS goes to a Catholic school for kindergarten. We are supposed to buy all of our uniforms from Flynn & O'Hara uniforms. I can see having to get the logo shirts there, but I wish I could buy the pants and walking shorts elsewhere! The only propblem is, the "official" pants have the Flynn & OHara logo on the back pocket, so you can tell if they don't have the right brand of pants. I don't want my kid to get a dress code violation because I bought him the wrong pants! He's switching to public school next year, and I'll miss the unofirms, but I won't miss the price of them! One pair of shorts is $25 at this place! For 6 year old! Crazy.

thebeesknees
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
My kids have to wear khaki uniform pants or shorts (any supplier), an embroidered white or navy polo shirt or turtleneck, belt, knee-high socks, and DD needs the required plaid skirt for formal uniform days. I started out by getting each child 5 short sleeve shirts and 2 long-sleeve ones, thinking they could just wear a sweater in the winter, but as young as they are, the sweater would come home dirty every day, so I finally went ahead and got more long-sleeve shirts. Now they have 5 short and 5 long-sleeve shirts each, so I don't have to do laundry midweek. DS has 5 pair of khaki pants, DD has 3, and her plaid skirt. All tops, sweaters and jumpers have to be embroidered at $4 each. So for our first year, I think I paid the following:

DS:
5 short sleeve shirts, $5 each + $4 each logo = $45
5 long sleeve shirts, $6 each + $4 each logo = $50
5 pair khaki pants, $9 each = $45
1 uniform vest w/logo(required) = $25
1 sweatshirt w/logo = $11
3 pair khaki shorts, $5 each = $15
Socks, belt & shoes = $30

So about $220 total

DD would be the same, except I got her the required plaid skirt, too, so add another $40 on for that and it comes to $260. This is for 3rd grade DS and 1st grade DD. This was the first year our school has been open, so next year we will have a used uniform sale that I can hopefully snag stuff at. Also, I have tried to pick up pants and skorts throughout the year as I see them on sale. That should help. I think the hard part was having to shell it all out at once. If I'd been able to gather it a bit at a time, it would have been easier on the wallet, but now we are all set and should be able to use some pants/skorts/jumpers next year instead of starting from scratch.

princessmom29
03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
My first grade DD wears uniforms. I work and we have afterschool activites almost every day, so there is no guarnatee I will get to laundry during the week. I bought 5 full uniforms so I don't have to. She has :
5 Jumpers
5 blouses
5 camis to go under
5 pairs of PE shorts (required under jumper)
5 leggings for cold weather
1 jacket (must have a uniform jacket to wear it inside)
1 pair of shoes (Second pair this year as she has grown 2 shoe sizes)
Grad total- about $250 but so woth it not to have to worry aobut it during the week.

She has gotten about 3 inches taller so she will have to have new jumpers and blouses next year. I bought big, but didn't anticipate this kind of growth spurt!Even with the jumpers let al lthe way down she just makes the length requirment now, and her shirts are getting too short.

Debbie
03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Yes, the uniforms are expensive. We have a store to buy from in the city, so that makes it much easier for us. I have 2 daughters that went through uniforms at their Catholic High School.

1. You don't need all of the pieces. 2 Pants, 1 oxford shirt, polo-2 short, 1 long. One DD wore a kilt, one did not. Neither wanted the shorts, (although I encouraged them!) since the school was air conditioned. Christmas bought some extras: rugby shirt, sweater. Oh, and if you DD does want the kilt, don't forget the tights.

2. Look for used uniform pieces. Is there a sale at the school? (should be) Look on kijiji or through your work intranet. (I see some on our Swap shop at school over the course of the year)

3. I love the uniform!

mjacks
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
This is the first year that my kids are in private school and I have two that are in elementary. I was livid when I went to buy two pairs of paints and two shirts for each of my kids and the bill came up to $250!! To make matters worse, the school only allows us to buy the uniforms from Buckhead Uniform here in GA, I swear they have to get some type of kickback. I can understand the shirts, but to make us get bottoms and even coats from this store is ridiculous! Polos are $30 with logos added, pants run about $27. Their prices are about 70% inflated and I hate that they do not allow us to shop elsewhere. Add this on top of tuition, aftercare, lunches, and snacks, I would have been better off keeping them in public and hiring a private tutor. I may have rethink this for the next year.

MineMail
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Buy the jumper, skirts/pants and the sweater a little big bigger, so you can get two years out of them.

Keep the shirts and extra sweater in the original packaging - if you don't need it, you can exchange it for a larger size for next year. We had Flynn & O'Hara as well. One year, the sweat pants (which the girls wore daily for winter) were really lower-quality. Someone (not me) took them to the Principal to ask if it was what she expected. The answer was no and everyone exchanged the pants. Typically, the pieces were much higher-level quality than the stuff from the discount clothing places, but on par with what you could buy at JC Penney and Target.

We had a nice little hand-me-down system where outgrown uniforms were passed down to younger girls through a uniform exchange run by the Parents' Association. The school also accepted clothing donations and discreetly passed them on to families that could use them.

Put your last name in EVERYTHING, especially that sweater, so you have a hope of getting it back if she does leave it somewhere.

With three girls in Catholic School, we set out a hamper in the hallway exclusively for them to put in their uniform pieces. Skirts, jumpers and sweaters can be worn more than once without being washed, so they were hung up after school. Shirts and socks went into the hamper and we did that laundry twice a week, so we ordered more pieces.

I miss my kids wearing uniforms for school. It was so much easier than "discussing" why their choices aren't appropriate and arguing about why the suddenly-unfashionable shirt should be worn instead of hearing "I have nothing to wear!"

More importantly, shopping for the right size was so much easier. The uniform store could handle kids that didn't fit standard sizes. (My oldest is very tall and the regular-length skirts just didn't meet the fingertip-length minimum for the nuns.) Going to the store with teenagers to find the "right kind" of skinny jeans is a waste of time.

hambirg
09-11-2011, 11:08 PM
My kids went to Catholic school. Dennis was our supplier. When my oldest first went to kindergarten I bought her two jumpers, 3 polos, 2 peter pan collar blouses, 3 logo sweatshirts, 3 pairs of pants, one pair of shorts, some knee socks and a few hair ties. That was the last year I bought that much and I'm thinking the last time I bought from Dennis.

!. I learned quickly that they didn't enforce the polos, knee socks or blouses. After that I would buy them at JCPenney if I needed to,

2. There is a uniform swap at the end of every year. In the PTO room there were racks full of jumpers, skirts, pants, shorts, sweatshirts. . .well everything but socks. I would simply take my kids stuff in and pick out the sizes that they would need for the next year. BEST THING EVER!!!

3. You can often find items at the local thrift shops.

4. In a pinch, you can find items on E-bay.

HTH

scootch
09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow, I hardly spend anything on uniforms. My kids go to a catholic school. Blue or khaki bottom and blue, white or green polo. We also have a uniform exchange, bring in ours that have outgrown and pick up new sizes of used ones for free. Can buy anywhere, get most of mine from JCP and shop clearance, rarely pay more than $8 for a shirt/skort/pants.

NotUrsula
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow, I hardly spend anything on uniforms. My kids go to a catholic school. Blue or khaki bottom and blue, white or green polo. We also have a uniform exchange, bring in ours that have outgrown and pick up new sizes of used ones for free. Can buy anywhere, get most of mine from JCP and shop clearance, rarely pay more than $8 for a shirt/skort/pants.

Most of the time regular Parochial schools or public schools that use uniforms are not picky about where you buy the generic pieces as long as they conform to the rules (no visible brand logos, no cargo pockets, etc.). Independent private schools are often much pickier, and outfitting girls tends to cost a lot more than outfitting boys, because of the darned PLAIDS. When you get into items like blazers and ties the cost can skyrocket.

I buy my DS' khakis and plain polos, and plain gym shorts, wherever I want. The only things that I have to go to a special supplier on are his sweatshirts and gym tees. This year he started a new HS, and they use Land's End. With reward dollars, a coupon code and the $.01 monogramming special, his special items cost me $40. (That's two sweatshirts and two gym tees.)

DD, otoh, attends a private Catholic preschool run by a convent order, and the plaids she needs are MUCH more expensive. Their shirts are tees, but they are appliqued tees, and the darn things cost a fortune. For her, two plaid skorts, three tees, and one sweatshirt, all in size 4T, cost me $155. The skorts are $38 each. We do have an exchange, but these being preschoolers there are very few pieces that are still in usable shape after a year.