PDA

View Full Version : Need a good book series.... Greek Mythology?

paysensmom
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
My son finished the Percy Jackson series and is looking for something else. He said Harry Potter is boring. Any other great Greek Mythology series? I don't want to buy a bunch of books that he won't finish.

PHXscuba
03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
The guy who wrote the Percy Jackson has a new book out. I think it's the first in a new series.

Rick Riordan: The Heroes of Olympus, Book One: The Lost Hero

When she gets home, I'll ask DD11 if she knows of any other good mythology series. She loves that stuff!

PHXscuba

pantherlj
03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
What about the Inkheart series?

jpatro21
03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid. It is about a brother and sister (told from their point of view) who find out that their family is very special and only they can stand up to some of the gods of egypt who are trying to enslave mankind. This is his next in line series that he is writing. Another series I found that was pretty good was the inheritance cycle. The first book in that series was Eragon. That is about a boy who finds and egg to find out that it is one of the last dragons and he has to try to take the evil king down who also ruled the land by force with his dragon. I hope this helps.

mjkacmom
03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid. It is about a brother and sister (told from their point of view) who find out that their family is very special and only they can stand up to some of the gods of egypt who are trying to enslave mankind. This is his next in line series that he is writing. Another series I found that was pretty good was the inheritance cycle. The first book in that series was Eragon. That is about a boy who finds and egg to find out that it is one of the last dragons and he has to try to take the evil king down who also ruled the land by force with his dragon. I hope this helps.

Ds12 and dd10 LOVED these, plus his other series.

acomasdiaz
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
DH and I ;) just read the Lost Hero book in the new Rick Riordan series and we loved it. We also loved the Percy Jackson books. Definitely think your DS would like this.

DisneyMomma81
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid.....

My DS and I both enjoyed The Red Pyramid *DS also loves the Percy Jackson books. He's already requested the next book in the Kane Chronicles ~
http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/kane-chronicles/books/book-2.aspx

DS's name is Carter and that just so happens to be the name of the boy in the Kane Chronicles :)

Pigeon
03-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Why not visit your public library and borrow some books, so he can try a few and see what he likes without you having to buy them?

dzorn
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Right now DD is reading the How to train your dragon books and really enjoying them but they might be easier reading, not sure as I have not read them.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Train-Your-Dragon-Book/dp/0316085278/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301534836&sr=1-1

Denise in MI

r4blessings
03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
My son also loved the percy jackson series! He read the Kane Chronicles and loved it, and is waiting for the new book to come out so he can order it for his kindle. He also loved the Lost Hero of Olympus.

Right now he is reading the second book in the Ranger's Apprentice series (it takes place during Midieval times) and is super into it.

Good luck! I am always sad when they come to an end of a series...it can be hard to find a new one that fits! :goodvibes

Coll0610
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
DS like the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer.

zachsmomie
03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
It's not mythology but I am an elementary school librarian and the kids LOVE the 39 clues series and Skulduggery Pleasant series. You might want to check the first one of each series out of the library before investing in the whole series. Many public libraries have ebook download rentals.

Dashzap
03-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Not greek mythology but enjoyed by son who loved the Percy Jackson books (and didn't care for Harry Potter either):

Children of the Lamp is a series of fantasy novels for senior children as well as adolescents and adults written by the British author P.B. Kerr. It tells the story of twin djinn, John and Philippa Gaunt, and their challenges with adapting to the world of djinn. The story has a variety of themes, family, adventure, and loyalty being a few. The first book, The Akhenaten Adventure, was published in 2004. The second book, The Blue Djinn of Babylon, was published in 2006. The third book, The Cobra King of Kathmandu, was also released in 2006. The fourth book was published in August 2007 [1], and is named The Day of the Djinn Warriors. The fifth book came out in 2009 and is titled The Eye of the Forest. The film rights are held by Dreamworks. Kerr recently finished the sixth book, The Five Fakirs of Faizabad, which was released on November 1, 2010.
(info from Wikipedia)

twinsplusone
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
My dd 10 yrs. just said to try the Shadow Children. It's a very good series.

StephMK
03-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks so much for posting this!! DS loved that series so much, he would come home & pick it up immediately and read up until & after dinner until bedtime. We'll have to check out some of these other titles.

erincon23
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Another great series is the Keys to the Kingdom series (nothing to do with Disney) by Garth Nix. First book is Mister Monday. They're about a young boy (13?) who is "selected" to become the Heir to the Architect, and has all kinds of supernatural and often very scary (in a juvenile book way, not a gory way) and sometimes funny adventures. I'm reading the last book, Lord Sunday, right now, and I and my DS15 have REALLY enjoyed the books.

gdulaney
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I'll second the suggestion for the 39 Clues series. The first book was written by Rick Riordan (who wrote the Percy Jackson series).... and he also wrote the story arc... then other others wrote the other books.

I can't wait until the new series comes out!!!

Ginny

Disneefun
03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
The "Peter and the Starcatchers" series is sort of a new take on the Peter Pan story. It's more YA than the Disney version and has a lot of "legend" type elements. The first book is Peter and the Starcatchers.

If he likes Disney, I vote for the Kingdom Keepers series. The 4th book comes out next week and I can't wait.

Not YA, but suitable for kids IMO is the Temerarie series by Naomi Novak. It's about dragons who are bred and trained to fight in the Napoleonic Wars. If he has any interest in Naval or military tactics or history, these are good. The first one is His Majesty's Dragon.

HM
03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Inkheart series (Cornelia Funke, author)
The Maze Runner series (James Dashner, author)
Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness (first book is The Knife of Never Letting Go)

Scambone
03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I enjoy YA fantasy books since they are a quick read. I really liked the The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima.

okeydokey
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
DS like the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer.

Ours too, and Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

tink fan
04-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If your child enjoyed Rick Riorden's books, he or she will love, love, love this series by Michael Scott. The first book is called The Alchemyst. (Then there is The Magician, The Sorceress, The Nechromancher and The Warlock).

They are set in present day with Nicholas Flamel (immortal of course) and a set of teenage twins as the main characters. The books are fast paced and exciting and incorporate a huge amount of mythology and history.

Here's a tip for finding similar series. When you are viewing a book on Amazon, there will be a recommendation for books that other people have searched for. (It's not how I found this series, but everytime I look for a Riorden book, these books usually pop up as well. I had just never paid attention to it before.)

Band mom!
04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
How about the Pendragon series - my boys really liked these and ds13 is reading them now. They are by D.J. MacHale - the entire series is out and available. There are 10 books.

Racemom17
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
My son loved the Percy Jackson series.

He is reading The Hunger Game series now (3 books so far) and says it is very popular in 7-8th grade now.

mombrontrent
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
My 11 year old son loves 39 Clues and The Hunger Games

Band mom!
04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Yep, we've read the Hunger Games here also... they are making a movie of the books.

SleepyatDVC
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
My DD12 finished reading the Percy Jackson series... 3-4 times already. :rolleyes1 She doesn't want to start the Red Pyramid until more books are out because she just...can't...wait...to read the next book in a series. :laughing:

She'd rather re-read the PJ series again and AGAIN. She made her sister (10) read the series also so they can discuss. And she reads the fanfiction about PJ on-line. :headache:

She has the Kingdom Keepers and the Harry Potter books ready to read but hasn't started them yet.

According to her, she like Mythology but not "Magic" or "Fantasy" books. :snooty::rolleyes1

She did finish the How to Train a Dragon series because that was super easy and fast to read.

I told her that if she finished the HP series I would take her and her sister to US/IOA. ;)

And if she started another series, I would read the PJ series also.

There's just no substitute for her, she LOVES the series.

Good luck with finding a new series!

I did borrow the 39 Clues book by Rick Riordan from the library for her and her sister a while ago and neither was particularly interested in the book or series at the time. But that was a while ago before she fell in love with the PJ series.

So, maybe I'll borrow it again along with the second book in the series and see it they can get into them now...

Good luck.

carymomof3
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan!

DisneyMomma81
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
DS *almost 11* likes The Hunger Games too ~ I've read the 2nd book and enjoyed it. He also enjoys the Ranger's Apprentice series.

crazy4theworld
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
My son is 12 and has read the Percy Jackson series too. He also likes a series called "Daniel X" (James Patterson) and another about a character called Charlie Bone...not sure about the author.

dislal
04-13-2011, 09:41 PM
DS *almost 11* likes The Hunger Games too ~ I've read the 2nd book and enjoyed it. He also enjoys the Ranger's Apprentice series.

Does anyone know where you can get The Hunger Games books for a good price? TIA

polkadotminnie
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
My DD suggested the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.

EKW
04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Not Greek, but he might like the Septimus Heap series. Another series to try is Fablehaven. Both have magic and mythical creatures, but are faster reads than the Potter series. If you want to drop a fortune, there's the 39 Clues books. My son is begging for them but since they seem like nothing more than a cash grab to me, I won't buy them. Oh, another popular series is the Warriors series...I even had middle schoolers reading and enjoying them. It's an older series, but a lot of kids this age like the People of Sparks series. Two more popular series: Artemis Fowl and Inkheart. Both have mythical creatures. A suggestion: get the first book of the series from the library before considering a purchase!

A comment about The Hunger Games: many boys love the first book and then are completely furious at the turn the second book takes. There is much more a focus on love and romance. I had male students start the second book, become completely disgusted with it, and drop it. You'll know whether your son would be up for a love triangle or not. As for the Maze Runner...it disappointed me because there is no real end to the first book...it just sets up the second. There's also Incarceron...but it tends to appeal to older teens.

I do have one other series: The Holly Black books Tithe, Valient, and Ironside. A warning, they are young adult novels. They involve drugs, sex, cutting, homosexuality.... They are about Faerie...you might want to read one yourself to decide if they're appropriate for your son. They tended to appeal to older middle schoolers.

hanna22
04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
The golden compass is my fav.