PDA

View Full Version : Husband Just got laid off.. unemployment in massachusetts???

julluvsdisney
03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Yep I just found out and my head is spinning! Im just wondering if anyone on here has any expierence with unemployment in MA? How long does it take to get a check? is there a waiting period? Any info at all will be great. I have no clue what to do! Im just so stressed! TIA

wvjules
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your DH.

Mass's Unemployment website will probably be more helpful than the DIS.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdagencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions+(EOLWD)&L3=Division+of+Unemployment+Assistance&sid=Elwd

disprincessatheart
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdagencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions+(EOLWD)&L3=Division+of+Unemployment+Assistance&sid=Elwd

Looks like a good place to start. I was in your dh's shoes last summer so sending you :wizard:

ExPirateShopGirl
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't have any information for you at the moment but I wish you and your family well. I hope he can find something soon. :hug:

Yep I just found out and my head is spinning! Im just wondering if anyone on here has any expierence with unemployment in MA? How long does it take to get a check? is there a waiting period? Any info at all will be great. I have no clue what to do! Im just so stressed! TIA

julluvsdisney
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! I checked the mass.gov website doesnt really give a timeline as to how long it takes. I have heard 2 weeks 4 weeks or more. Im really hoping it doesnt take long!

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
So sorry to hear that. I dont believe it takes very long, at least not here in Illinois. Praying for the best for you.

MNT568
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear your news. I was laid off in MA about 2 years ago (I was out of work for 8 months). If I remember correctly it takes about 2 weeks after you make your initial call to start getting your checks. But I would check out the website or call the information line (they are really nice and helpful). I believe you have to call on certain days depending on the last number of your Soc Sec to place your initial claim. After that it is easy, call in once a week and answers some questions and they direct deposit your check.

Good luck.

crisi
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
try this one: http://www.massresources.org/pages.cfm?contentID=38&pageID=17&subpages=yes&dynamicID=606#getbenefits

wtccheermom
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
:grouphug:

shamrock30
03-29-2011, 05:07 PM
For us, I think it was 2 weeks. You don't get paid for the first week.

Tink-n-MrIncredible
03-29-2011, 05:10 PM
:hug:

ancestry
03-29-2011, 05:13 PM
It usually is about 2 weeks from the date he received his last pay from the employer. For example if the employer is paying him through the end of the month then he probably won't get a paycheck until the middle of April. Also, if he receives any type of severance pay unemployment usually considers that income and will delay the start of his unemployment benefits.

Also it is 2 weeks if the employer doesn't fight the unemployment. If there is any contest to the unemployment and a hearing has to be held then there can be a delay.

arthur06
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I lost my job last summer, so I know the feeling.

I hit the job trail hard, and wound up getting a job with equal pay and equal bonus opportunity. I picked up a company car and phone and small spending account. I was working 5-6 days per week, now I work 4 days per week and one week per month work that 5th day.

Keep your head up and stay strong. Things will work out and possibly even better then they were before!

Happiest mommy
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
so sorry :grouphug:

a1tinkfans
03-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Im so sorry! Just want to wish you the all the very best in getting new employment!! :grouphug:

a1tinkfans
03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I lost my job last summer, so I know the feeling.

I hit the job trail hard, and wound up getting a job with equal pay and equal bonus opportunity. I picked up a company car and phone and small spending account. I was working 5-6 days per week, now I work 4 days per week and one week per month work that 5th day.

Keep your head up and stay strong. Things will work out and possibly even better then they were before!

Now this post made me SMILE. SO good to hear GREAT news for a change! Glad it worked out for you! :wizard:

disneymama83
03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Sorry your husband lost his job. :hug: I hope all works out well!!!:goodvibes

3boymthr
03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I'm currently on UA in MA. You need to call in on the day of the week that is designated for the day his social security number ends on. For example, My SSN ends in 5 so I call in on Wednesdays. He must be persistent it takes quite a while to get thru. You don't get paid for the first week you are unemployed, you will then get paid for every week there after, but you must call in or go online on the Sunday following that week (so I logged in on Sunday 3/27 for the Week Ending Saturday 3/26) and submit for that weeks pay. It takes two to four weeks to get the first check, but how quickly you get paid depends upon how quickly his employer responds to the survey that they will get sent about his departure (they have to confirm that he was laid off/didnt quit/didn't get fired). Once you start getting checks you will get checks within a couple of days of when he files every week. For example if he forgets to file on Sunday or can't get thru but gets his submission done on Monday then his payment will be issued on Thursday. Make sure to sign up for direct deposit so you get the payment right away. A mailed payment will take an extra 2 or 3 days to arrive.

HTH

Snoozan
03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Another Mass resident who was laid off a year ago and collected unemployment for a few weeks. I would suggest he call first thing in the morning on his assigned day, but I doubt they wouldn't take his call whatever day he calls in. I was able to collect unemployment as well as my severence pay so don't delay in getting your claim in. Also, direct deposit speeds up getting the money. After my initial phone call, I handled everything else on line. I also recommend he have taxes taken out of the benefit, if you can swing it, as the income is taxable and you'll just end up paying for next spring.

C.Ann
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry I can't help with info - I'm in NY - but figured you could use one of these...:grouphug:

Hopefully he won't remain unemployed for too long..:goodvibes

julluvsdisney
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Thank you ALL so much! i am feeling a bit better reading these posts! I just hope it doesnt take forever to get unemployment checks. i thank you all so much for taking the time to post! I love the disboards! Im hoping he will get a new job soon! You guys are the best thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!:goodvibes:grouphug:

3boymthr
03-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Another Mass resident who was laid off a year ago and collected unemployment for a few weeks. I would suggest he call first thing in the morning on his assigned day, but I doubt they wouldn't take his call whatever day he calls in. I was able to collect unemployment as well as my severence pay so don't delay in getting your claim in. Also, direct deposit speeds up getting the money. After my initial phone call, I handled everything else on line. I also recommend he have taxes taken out of the benefit, if you can swing it, as the income is taxable and you'll just end up paying for next spring.

Actually, they absolutely will not take your call on any day but your designated day or Friday or Saturday. I've tried. And Fridays and Saturday's are even harder to get thru on than your regular day. The phone system requires you to input your SSN and will cut you off if you don't call on the right day. I was not even calling to start a claim I already had one going, but I had made a mistake and pushed the wrong button on the phone when calling in for the prior week and tried to get thru to get it corrected and tried and tried and tried. I finally had to give up and call back on my designated day.

Kristi1357
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I also recommend he have taxes taken out of the benefit, if you can swing it, as the income is taxable and you'll just end up paying for next spring.

Definately have it set up to have taxes taken out. The first time DH was laid off in 2002, we didn't know about that. He got laid off again in late 2006 and we knew to have the taxes taken out.

Good luck! :hug: