PDA

View Full Version : What laundry detergent do you use for HE washer?

ToodlesRN
03-29-2011, 01:10 PM
We bought a new HE washer and wondering what brand and type of detergent do you use? We have always used the Cheer powder from Costco. I went to 3 different stores and none of them sell cheer powder or Liquid it seems that Tide is only being sold in the liquid form? So my question is what do you use in your HE washer for detergent?

Thanks!

eliza61
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm a tide gal forever. LOL but I have seen other brands in HE form.

lucyem
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Biokleen powder.

maggiew
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I usually use Tide HE or All HE. I stock up when CVS has an ECB sale.

Maggie

iheartdisney
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
All Small and Mighty HE. It lasts FOREVER!!!

DisneyAndRedSox
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Tide all the way! Between the Tide and using a front-loader, I barely have to pre-treat anything and never have clothes fade.

marie1203
03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
I use HE Woolite.

fakereadhed
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Anything with the HE on the label except not a fan of Purex or Aldi brand.

mom0299
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Any HE detergent that I can get a deal on. I can usually get Arm & Hammer HE or Gain HE at a good price.

Lewisc
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Kirkland brand.

princessnoelly
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Kirkland brand.

:thumbsup2 The Kirkland- free and clear (Costco)!

mhconley
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Tide HE Free & Gentle

Martin

twinboysmom
03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
I just got a new he a month ago. I tried ECOS, hated it, tide liquid, just ok, and now have found a bit better luck with gain he powder. I always loved tide but it is just not working as well for me now as it did in my regular washer. I haven't tried tide he powder as I haven't found it at any of my local stores yet.

UGAFan0829
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
We use Gain...it smells so good!

saraalison
03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
I used Tide for the longest time. But for some reason tried Gain. I'm glad I did. Gain gets my clothes so much cleaner! I like the lavender scent. If I need to pretreat a stain that powder Oxi stuff is excellent!

littleteapot
03-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Kirkland brand.

This.

ToodlesRN
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks!
I've always used Cheer and to not see it in the stores I'm lost! They must of went out of busines? I'll buy small containers of diferent brands and see what works the best for us.

calypso*a*go-go
03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Do you use the Kirkland liquid, or powder? I bought the powder and have been very disappointed with it as it doesn't disolve well in cold water. When I take the clothes out to put them in the dryer, some of them are pasty-looking and I need to rinse them again. So much for saving water with a front-loader. :headache:

eatatmidnight
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I use All Free and Clear and Downey Free fabric softener. They are the only "free" products that don't aggrivate my kids eczema

kkacar
03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I use All Free and Clear and Downey Free fabric softener. They are the only "free" products that don't aggrivate my kids eczema

This is me as well. I agree they do not aggravate my eczema.

kelli

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
My son has eczema, so I can only use All Free and Clear HE, and unscented dryer sheets. :sad1:

No nicely scented laundry for us.

quentina
03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
We bought a new HE washer and wondering what brand and type of detergent do you use? We have always used the Cheer powder from Costco. I went to 3 different stores and none of them sell cheer powder or Liquid it seems that Tide is only being sold in the liquid form? So my question is what do you use in your HE washer for detergent?

Thanks!

I use whatever is cheapest. I am not loyal to any one brand. I have used the Walmart and Target brand and have been quite happy with them!!

Melynny
03-29-2011, 08:02 PM
We use Sears Ultra Plus Powder..its 26 pound box is on sale a few times a year for around 13.00. And that box is rated for 275 loads. so that comes out to almost 5 cents per load.. by FAR the best budget deal out there. I can't use Tide, and I don't have a reaction to the Sears. I have also used the liquid HE from Aldi, but they don't have it all the time. We also use powder Gain when its on sale. :hippie:

Lewisc
03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Do you use the Kirkland liquid, or powder? I bought the powder and have been very disappointed with it as it doesn't disolve well in cold water. When I take the clothes out to put them in the dryer, some of them are pasty-looking and I need to rinse them again. So much for saving water with a front-loader. :headache:

Liquid, free and clear. Is the powder even HE?

MickeyManiac
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks!
I've always used Cheer and to not see it in the stores I'm lost! They must of went out of busines? I'll buy small containers of diferent brands and see what works the best for us.

I've always used Cheer too. Costco around here stopped carrying it a couple of years ago. I now buy it at Sams Club. They only had the non-HE but started carrying the HE about a month ago.

The salesman that sold me my front loader said you should always use powder detergent. He said the liquid has too many animal fats in it that will gum up your machine and contribute to a stinky smell front loaders can get because it's harder to rinse away. Now I don't know if that's correct...but that's what he said. He also said to use Downy sparingly for the same reason. :confused3

lost*in*cyberspace
03-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I've always used Cheer and to not see it in the stores I'm lost! They must of went out of busines?

Cheer is not out of business. I use Cheer HE Free & Gentle for my front loader. It can be hard to find; think I get it at Target. You can also buy on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheer-Ultra-Gentle-Detergent-40-Ounce/dp/B0024GXKNC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1301454239&sr=8-2

Evi
03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
In use Nellies Laundry soda http://www.nelliesallnatural.com
1 can lasts 100 loads and it works. I have serious allergies and love this stuff because it doesn't bother my skin and it leaves my clothes clean and soft. I can't say enough about it honestly I've been using it for the last 4 years and wouldn't consider going back to regular detergent. I don't use nellies fabric softener because it contains soy and I have a soy allergy but I use method dryer sheets. I do wish they would carry the fabric softener locally but they don't so I use what I can get my hands on.

Peanut Giggleface
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Another Tide girl here. I used to love their Lavender and Vanilla scent. But sadly, they don't sell that one anymore, at least not around here.

chrismartinique
03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Cheer Gain or Tide liquids..whatever is on sale. And only the powder for of any of those 3 for towels

calypso*a*go-go
03-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Liquid, free and clear. Is the powder even HE?

Yes, it's HE...but I know I won't be using it again. I really should have returned it and purchased something different.

vek239
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
We use Sears Ultra Plus Powder..its 26 pound box is on sale a few times a year for around 13.00. And that box is rated for 275 loads. so that comes out to almost 5 cents per load.. by FAR the best budget deal out there. I can't use Tide, and I don't have a reaction to the Sears. I have also used the liquid HE from Aldi, but they don't have it all the time. We also use powder Gain when its on sale. :hippie:

Ditto on the Sears Ultra. Have used it for several years.

dzorn
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Tide HE powder. When we had to have service the service guy commented that powder is better to avoid the buildup in the machine.

Denise in MI

holycow
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm using the Kirkland brand right now but I don't like how most of it sticks in the bottom of the cup when I pour it in.

ClarabelleCowFan
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
My son has eczema, so I can only use All Free and Clear HE, and unscented dryer sheets. :sad1:

No nicely scented laundry for us.

Same here. DD and DS have eczema and even Tide Free is rough on them. All Free and Clear seems to be the only thing we can use. No fabric softener or dryer sheets for us either - they aggravate DS's skin.

flash654
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
We buy the Kirkland 180 loads powder. I've never had any problems. It's super cheap (about 9 cents a load) and seems to do just as well as any liquid I've used.

Goofyzgurl
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Charlie's soap powder.

Shanan
03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I use any liquid HE that is on sale.

TammyNC
03-31-2011, 06:40 AM
We use Charlie's Liquid.

Have thought about trying to make my own but haven't gotten that smart yet:).

herdtoDisney
03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
I have used Tide Free HE liquid, since I got my front loader seven years ago. I've never had a single problem with the machine, and with a family of 7, it gets a workout. I've never had a stink problem, but I leave the door ajar (it's in the basement, inaccessable to small kids and pets. I would not do this if it was in the living area).

I was at Sams Club yesterday and they FINALLY have it there-they only had the scented Tides up till now, and I don't like any scents in my laundry.

threecrazykids
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
I used to be a Tide girl but after using Norwex and Shaklee there is no going back for me. I have used almost every brand available at Wal-Mart and have never been as happy as I am with Norwex and Shaklee products.

We have a septic system so after doing my own little "personal" tests on several detergents and seeing them simply placed in water to see how they dissolve etc I couldn't ignore the results of Norwex and Shaklee products.

I don't wash ANY of my clothes in cold water anymore. I used to, to save money, but after actually READING the back of the boxes where it states water temps should be between X and Z for the product to dissolve/activate I realized that the water temp on a cold wash wasn't coming anywhere near that temp. No wonder the grease spots and flaky detergent remnants were left on our clothes.

Shelly F - Ohio
03-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Tide HE that I get from BJ's and I use the BJ's coupon for $3.00 off. A bottle last me 5-6 months.

DawnM
03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
I use homemade laundry soap! It works great and very few suds. It costs about .02 to .03 per load!

RECIPE

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

SaraJayne
03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
I hope people realize that if they don't use HE detergent/powder, they are voiding the warranty on their machines.

Obviously, that only applies if you have a HE washer. :)