PDA

View Full Version : 1950's style wall tile in bathroom

angierae
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Is there a budget way of recoloring bathroom tile that's on the walls? My MIL says in their old house they had to pay a ton of money to a company that came in with some sort of chemical thing to strip the top layer off all the tile and then recolor it, but I was wondering if there's a DIY solution that doesn't involve gutting the bathroom and re-doing it?

I hate my bathroom and it's ugly peach tile. :)

vcasey
03-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Not sure how handy you are but here's a thread that may help
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=547118

Disney845
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Google tile refinishing kit.

There are DIY products out there. One is made by Rustoleum.

Can't comment on how difficult it may be, or the results, as I haven't tried it myself.

rie'smom
03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
There is an epoxy product you can use however, the result is not as pretty as that from a tile refinishing company . My friend did it as a DIY project and her end result was a new color but very dull and there were a few streaks and drips. We had a company do our boy's bathroom-changed from pink to burgundy- and it looked like we had changed all of the tile. it had the nice sheen that ceramic tiles have.

Brer Shay
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
We have a similar tile in a powder room at our home. Previous owners sanded the tile and painted it - primer + two coats. It does look a bit odd because of the pattern of the tiles, however the paint has held up strikingly well - no chips, scratches, etc..

Don't know that it's an ideal fix, but it is inexpensive and effective in comparison to a bathroom redo.

preschoolmom
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Learn to love it? Certainly the cheapest option! (Our house was built in the 50s, we have one blue bathroom and one pink one :thumbsup2 )

http://retrorenovation.com/

a1tinkfans
03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Is there a budget way of recoloring bathroom tile that's on the walls? My MIL says in their old house they had to pay a ton of money to a company that came in with some sort of chemical thing to strip the top layer off all the tile and then recolor it, but I was wondering if there's a DIY solution that doesn't involve gutting the bathroom and re-doing it?

I hate my bathroom and it's ugly peach tile. :)

My dad has that old style Pink tole with black tile accent from the 50-60's. We just changed out fixtures, added Gray accents and towels and it looks quite good, retro and saved lots of $$$. If you can "think outside the box" you may realize that its Ok with some fix its...Good Luck!