PDA

View Full Version : Cost of food skyrocketing - $9 for a pound of bacon?

CowboyCO
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Anybody else notice food staples skyrocketing? I was at Safeway this weekend and there was one brand of bacon that was $9/lb! Even regular Oscar Mayer is running $6.99 a pound.

DW and I have started looking for close to expiration date clearance packages and buuying them and freezing them. If this economy doesn't turn around, I'm going to start wearing bacon around my neck and trading it...

leadfootlevi
03-28-2011, 10:47 AM
The price of bacon has pretty much eliminated it from our diet. :( We love bacon!

java
03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
:confused3 Around here you used to get it for 2 pounds for $5. Now it's 2.99 a pound. Not terrible and we do love our bacon. But we use it more as an ingredient vs. making bacon.

amez
03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I've complained about the same thing to my husband--bacon has gotten really expensive. It's odd because the price of hogs just doesn't seem that high to account for what they are charging for bacon.

However we just bought a hog from our butcher and our freezer is packed full of bacon (and a huge variety of other cuts) for a much more reasonable price.

CTdiznymom
03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Did you look to see if it was even a full pound? With the packaging getting smaller and the prices getting higher it's a real battle keeping the grocery bill down and the fridge filled. :scared1:

pigletto
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
We're paying about 3.99 on sale around here so I quit buying it. We don't need it anyway.
But 9.00? Holy smokes!!:scared1:

Nik's Mom
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
It's not just bacon. A head of lettuce was $2.99 at my local grocery store this weekend. You used to be able to find it for 99 cents.

njmomtoone
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I used to pay $6.99 for four, one pound pkg of butter at BJ's. Price went up to $7.59 and saw on Saturday is now $10.29.

OceanAnnie
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
It's not just bacon. A head of lettuce was $2.99 at my local grocery store this weekend. You used to be able to find it for 99 cents.

You aren't kidding! I'm doing a double take all the time! It's everything. :sad2: The "sales" on food don't even bring the cost to what they used to be on some items. It's crazy! A few weeks ago I could get an avocado for .99 for one. Now they are $1.24. That might not seem like a lot, but when you add up the increase on so many items it is.

puffkin
03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd hardly consider bacon a staple....;)

However, prices have been ridiculous for tons of stuff around me lately. Luckily I am pretty adaptable at shopping what is affordable and making meals from that. I can't even tell you the last time we bought grapes (not happening at over $2 lb :eek:)

wvjules
03-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Is bacon a staple? :confused3

Anyhow, we get the Oscar Meyer Center Cut bacon. That's our favorite so we pay what we need to pay to get it. I'm not sure what our tipping point will be on purchasing it in the future though.

We will not give up our Sunday morning bacon and pancake/waffle breakfasts.

Planogirl
03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Tomatoes are what's killing me. I love tomatoes and normally eat a lot of them but I won't pay $3 a pound for them.

I wish that our salaries were going up as quickly as prices.

eliza61
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM

You aren't kidding! I'm doing a double take all the time! It's everything. :sad2: The "sales" on food don't even bring the cost to what they used to be on some items. It's crazy! A few weeks ago I could get an avocado for .99 for one. Now they are $1.24. That might not seem like a lot, but when you add up the increase on so many items it is.

Remember guys, especially for us still hanging onto winter.
A lot of the produce we have now has been shipped in. Lettuce producing states here in the US have gotten socked by bad weather so trucking/shipping in from Chile.

I'm becoming a stock up queen. When I see bacon on sale for "buy one get one free" I'll literally stop at the store 3X's a week and buy the max. I have almost 10lbs in my freezer averaging 3.50 bucks a piece.

Last week shoprite had oscar mayer on sale for $1.99 lb. I went into the store so many times I swear they thought I was casing the joint. this week Acme has hormel black label bacon on sale for $4.49

disneyfans95
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I am a hotel GM and I have seen our food costs for the restaurant and catering events go up 15% since the start of the year.

This is a killer for us with the catering events because you are locked into the price and can't make it up. The restaurant is easier, too a point.

The main reason we are seeing an increase is the cost of feed for the animals. That is making the price jump the biggest. That and potatoes are up the most.

roscoepc1
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm just going to say that Americans are VERY spoiled when it comes to food prices and gas prices....from being on a lot of community boards etc over the years, and seeing lots of talk about groceries, etc, you guys have it far better than 90% of the world...not just the 3rd world!

In Canada, we've been paying $9+ for bacon for YEARS. It comes in 1/2 pound packages here...if I can find it for under $4 for one, I buy in bulk....otherwise we do without. Coupons are a joke here, "sales" mean about 10-25 cents off, not 50-90%....and it goes on and on....

The saddest part is, it isn't the farmers who are getting most of the money in either country...it's the middle-men...if you can find a good abbatoir, or make friends with farmers, it's not only much cheaper, the farmer gets ridiculously more of the money....

ilovejack02
03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
We will not give up our Sunday morning bacon and pancake/waffle breakfasts.

Then yes it is a staple LOL.

My little local grocery normally runs Smithfield, 2.50 for 12 oz pack. I usually stock up and sometimes have coupons too , I am down to two packs, hoping it will go on sale this week or next. DS8 is obsessed with BLTS .

Nature's own whole wheat is running 3.50 a loaf at our local grocery , but Target has it on sale for 2.17, so I am going to run into town and load up . Unfortunately 2.17 is a raise in price, they used to run it 1.89 a loaf on sale. : (

I paid 1.44 for a single bell pepper the other day, I didn't pay attention when I picked it up at Walmart. All most died when I saw it ring up. I now have 5 bell pepper plants in my garden as do I have tomatoes. My child has been doing with out his beloved grape tomatoes because they are almost 4.00 a pint . UGHHHHHHHH

KiKi Mouse
03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I live in Canada and I have found all our grocery prices have gone up. It definitely affects what I buy and what we eat.

happygirl
03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Everything is going up

ShariVT
03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I do some of the ordering for my brothers resturant and bacon has gone up $15 a case. We are a small family business and these prices are nuts.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
We don't eat much bacon at our house. When we do have it, we eat turkey bacon.

I do feel for my FIL though. He loves his big breakfasts and bacon is a big part of it. He has had to majorly cut down on his bacon eating.

I tried to do my grocery shopping this week based only on the sales flyer. It didn't work very well since the sales flyer seemed smaller than usual and it was mostly junk that was on sale it seemed like.

I need to pull the sales flyer for the other grocery store nearby and see if I can do better there. I hate their meat though.

chris31997
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I hear ya. It is crazy how bad the prices have gone up. I live in Hawaii and they ship alot of things in. .05 here and .10 does add up and then add gas to it.:scared1: I do go to the local farmer's market. It helps some.

spiderdust
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Bacon is absolutely a staple! :love:

We often buy the big 20 oz. bags of real bacon bits (NOT Bacos!) at Costco. They're handy to toss into a skilletful of scrambled eggs or ontop of a salad or... well, pretty much any place that you'd use cooked bacon, you can use these. We still use strip bacon on occasion, but these help to enhance a quick breakfast. We've often gotten them for around $6.99, but they've been slowly increasing in price up to around $7.99.

This past weekend, I saw they were now $9.99. :eek:

pixiewings71
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Tomatoes are what's killing me. I love tomatoes and normally eat a lot of them but I won't pay $3 a pound for them.

I wish that our salaries were going up as quickly as prices.

I have 4 tomato plants in pots this year, previous years I've done 1 or 2 but this year we went big and did 4. I love fresh tomatoes and don't buy them at the store anymore. They are very easy to grow in pots, you don't need much room at all for them. :)

Then yes it is a staple LOL.

My little local grocery normally runs Smithfield, 2.50 for 12 oz pack. I usually stock up and sometimes have coupons too , I am down to two packs, hoping it will go on sale this week or next. DS8 is obsessed with BLTS .

Nature's own whole wheat is running 3.50 a loaf at our local grocery , but Target has it on sale for 2.17, so I am going to run into town and load up . Unfortunately 2.17 is a raise in price, they used to run it 1.89 a loaf on sale. : (

I paid 1.44 for a single bell pepper the other day, I didn't pay attention when I picked it up at Walmart. All most died when I saw it ring up. I now have 5 bell pepper plants in my garden as do I have tomatoes. My child has been doing with out his beloved grape tomatoes because they are almost 4.00 a pint . UGHHHHHHHH

We have 3 bell pepper plants in our garden, 3 different types of cucumbers as well, some carrots (multi colored carrots), sugar snap peas, squash, zuchini, 4 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of strawberries...I've never planted so many veggies before but man I'm looking forward to a yummy spring/summer/fall! :)

I agree, prices have gone up a lot for many food items, I've stopped buying bacon too, and that sucks for me because I'm the one who loves the bacon.....I wanted to make bfast for dinner tonight or tomorrow night but we only have sausage....so I guess I'm eating sausage instead. :)

crisi
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm just going to say that Americans are VERY spoiled when it comes to food prices and gas prices....from being on a lot of community boards etc over the years, and seeing lots of talk about groceries, etc, you guys have it far better than 90% of the world...not just the 3rd world!

And its recent. Americans used to spend a ton more of their incomes on a percentage basis. http://www.ilfb2.org/fff06/51.pdf

I think we need to accept low food prices were really a historical aberration.

ilovejack02
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
We have 3 bell pepper plants in our garden, 3 different types of cucumbers as well, some carrots (multi colored carrots), sugar snap peas, squash, zuchini, 4 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of strawberries...I've never planted so many veggies before but man I'm looking forward to a yummy spring/summer/fall! :)

We have squash too : ) , only one kind of cucumber, eggplant, watermelon and I am waiting for the jalapeno and banana pepper plants to come in at the nursery . I have run out of room in the garden will put the peppers in pots. Also have black berry bushes, but they don't produce alot yet. I always go to a local park and pick my own, will be going to the local blueberry farm to pick my own too . Which reminds me, I need to check their schedule !

neatokimmo
03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Wow prices are really all over. Generic bacon is $2.69 a pound regular price here.

charming23
03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
When I buy bacon, I get it from GFS in a bulk package and then freeze it into portion sizes. It works out well because we do not eat a ton of bacon. It is either an ingredient or used for BLT's.

I agree everything is raising in price. It makes it harder to stick to a budget around here.

tinkarooni
03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
I just had to chime in on this bacon thread. I will tell you that right now I have 6 little piggies in my barn waiting for the freezer. :rotfl: That's right it's become so desperate around here that we are growing our own.

The price of grain, corn etc is so high, that is what is is driving a lot of the feed costs, so in my area there is a pig shortage....seriously. Farmers are not raising pigs because it is so darn expensive to feed them. We had to travel to three different places to buy our pigs and nobody has any around here. Two are a 4h project my kids are doing and the rest are destined to be hams.

A 50 lb bag of feed costs $12.00 and a pig will eat about 750 lbs of feed. :scared1: That is what is driving your $9.00 bacon. Of course commercial operations are getting their feed in bulk....but still.

I will also comment on PP statement, I have also read that we spend the lowest percentage of our income on food in the world. Guess these prices are here to stay, next year I may have to get some honeybees. :lmao:

No, I'm not really kidding. :thumbsup2

junebugs
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry, this is slightly off subject - but I just bought cotton balls today at Walmart and they were $2.58!!!:eek: I mean really - cotton balls!

I read somewhere that clothing prices were going up due to the cost of cotton - so I guess this is why - but I feel like I now have to ration them. :confused3

eliza61
03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Sorry, this is slightly off subject - but I just bought cotton balls today at Walmart and they were $2.58!!!:eek: I mean really - cotton balls!

I read somewhere that clothing prices were going up due to the cost of cotton - so I guess this is why - but I feel like I now have to ration them. :confused3

a few think tanks bellieve this may actually have a good effect in that we may begin to grow cotton again here in the states and bring back a bit of the textile manufacturing. It's not going to be like the post ww2 era but hey if some small joe wants to start growing his own cotton and making tee shirts here. I'd buy

SDSorority
03-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Anybody else notice food staples skyrocketing? I was at Safeway this weekend and there was one brand of bacon that was $9/lb! Even regular Oscar Mayer is running $6.99 a pound.

DW and I have started looking for close to expiration date clearance packages and buuying them and freezing them. If this economy doesn't turn around, I'm going to start wearing bacon around my neck and trading it...

.... part of the reason that my DH and I went vegetarian 2 years ago. We would only buy organic meat and it just got way out of hand. So, beans and tempeh it is! We're saving money, that's for sure! :goodvibes And I gotta tell ya, we feel better too. :banana:

budafam
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Like someone else posted. The price of corn has gone up and all the animals still have to eat. Ground beef is going to hit record highs and it has already began. My MIL warned me of this (she's a bit into organic farming). They are buying half of a cow now so we can save it for later. I'm spending a good chunk on it but I figure it's smarter than waiting till summer when I want a good steak and have to pay $20 for it!:sad2:
We rarely buy bacon anymore. It is a true treat when we get it. I have begun to buy ground turkey in a breakfast sausage flavor for a good morning meat. I usually get it for around $1 a lb. and it's much better for you too.
I would love to eat nothing but beans but seriously cannot figure out recipes to make with them.

pigletto
03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
We eat meatless so often that I have no problem going vegetarian. Maybe this is the push I need.
And as far as produce prices, we really need to learn to eat in season and local for a number of reasons. I guess I will need to get used to not having strawberries in February unless they are frozen from the summer. Oh well.. I was never supposed to anyway.
It's sad that my pocketbook will be the deciding factor that will push me to eat more in line with my ideals but I suppose it's just better that I do.

bettymae1121
03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd hardly consider bacon a staple....;)

For some, it's an entire food group! :rotfl:

rubato
03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
.... part of the reason that my DH and I went vegetarian 2 years ago. We would only buy organic meat and it just got way out of hand. So, beans and tempeh it is! We're saving money, that's for sure! :goodvibes And I gotta tell ya, we feel better too. :banana:

Me too! I can't afford to eat grass finished, organic meat, so I don't eat meat! I'm saving tons!!!!:thumbsup2

mnrose
03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Me too! I can't afford to eat grass finished, organic meat, so I don't eat meat! I'm saving tons!!!!:thumbsup2

We are lucky to get our beef (100% grass fed, and organic in all but name, which does not matter to me, since I know the farmer personally...it is too expensive for him to jump through hoops to be called "organic") for about $4.40 a pound per 1/4 or 1/2. This is the "finished" price. This is quite a bargain really, considering that it's for ALL cuts...including the best steaks, etc. His prices for the coming year are relatively constant because he does not feed corn...the price of the native prairie grasses in his pastures hasn't gone up.:thumbsup2 Go local. It's a wonderful thing for all concerned.

dntd
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
My hugest shock is dairy. I'm sorry but $10 a brick of cheese not on sale and almost $ 5 a bag for milk now has me boarder shopping. I'mm glad I only live 10 mins from the boarder but geeze you would think milk which is a basic need wouldn't be so costly. As I have 7 people lin the house going through 4-5 bags a week is super easy!

ConnieB
03-28-2011, 06:02 PM
WOW! Where the heck do ya'll live???

Bacon has gone up, but it's still less than $3 a pound at Sam's Club. You have to buy it in 3 pound packages that are $8.57, but it's 3 WHOLE pounds, I've noticed at Walmart that the same looking package that used to be a pound is only 12 ounces and the price has gone up.

Lettuce...just bought a nice large red leaf for .59 at Sprouts. Romaine and Green Leaf were the same prices. Tomato was .99 a pound and I thought that was high for this time of year...dead of winter yea, but it's spring and warm here in Arizona.

Shredded Cheddar, 5 pounds for $11.xx

Avocados are .69 each for the small, .89 for the large. Strawberries are on sale for $1.25 a pound, but I'm waiting for it to go below .75 in June or July and then I'll buy 20 pounds and flash freeze them for smoothies all summer long.

Now...gas....sheesh, it goes up every time I've been at the pump....$3.59 was the last I recall, but I'm due for a tank tomorrow or Wednesday and I'm almost afraid to look. We go to Disneyland next month and I'm fairly sure California is going to be sitting at $4 a gallon. :scared1:

pixiewings71
03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
We have squash too : ) , only one kind of cucumber, eggplant, watermelon and I am waiting for the jalapeno and banana pepper plants to come in at the nursery . I have run out of room in the garden will put the peppers in pots. Also have black berry bushes, but they don't produce alot yet. I always go to a local park and pick my own, will be going to the local blueberry farm to pick my own too . Which reminds me, I need to check their schedule !

YUM!!!! Fresh blueberries are the BEST! I am considering planting some rasp and blackberry bushes, I'm just not sure it's something I want to plant because of the way they grow. We did have raspberries when I was growing up, they were so good!!! I want banana peppers as well but haven't seen any anywhere!! I'm hoping like crazy that they come in somewhere soon!! :) This is honestly my biggest garden ever, I usually only do some tomato plants and that's it.....

WOW! Where the heck do ya'll live???

Bacon has gone up, but it's still less than $3 a pound at Sam's Club. You have to buy it in 3 pound packages that are $8.57, but it's 3 WHOLE pounds, I've noticed at Walmart that the same looking package that used to be a pound is only 12 ounces and the price has gone up.

Lettuce...just bought a nice large red leaf for .59 at Sprouts. Romaine and Green Leaf were the same prices. Tomato was .99 a pound and I thought that was high for this time of year...dead of winter yea, but it's spring and warm here in Arizona.

Shredded Cheddar, 5 pounds for $11.xx

Avocados are .69 each for the small, .89 for the large. Strawberries are on sale for $1.25 a pound, but I'm waiting for it to go below .75 in June or July and then I'll buy 20 pounds and flash freeze them for smoothies all summer long.

Now...gas....sheesh, it goes up every time I've been at the pump....$3.59 was the last I recall, but I'm due for a tank tomorrow or Wednesday and I'm almost afraid to look. We go to Disneyland next month and I'm fairly sure California is going to be sitting at $4 a gallon. :scared1:

Avocado's are rarely under $1 each here, usually $1.25-2. So, we are also trying an avocado tree. :) We had a pit that we have sprouted, it's going to be replanted this week and hopefully it gives us some yummy avocados eventually. :) Until then I'll keep paying $1-2 each for them......
and gas...you are not going to like it when you get here, we are going to DL next week, gas near my house is currently $3.89 a gallon....I'm guessing it will be more in Anaheim......

shortbun
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
We eat bacon twice a year. Once during vacation and once for BLTs. I guess I can afford it twice. It's pretty bad for you anyway. Let 'em keep it.

spiderdust
03-28-2011, 09:59 PM

It's already $4.03/gal here. :guilty:

smiller
03-29-2011, 12:05 AM
a few think tanks bellieve this may actually have a good effect in that we may begin to grow cotton again here in the states and bring back a bit of the textile manufacturing. It's not going to be like the post ww2 era but hey if some small joe wants to start growing his own cotton and making tee shirts here. I'd buy

I would love to buy USA-made cotton shirts! :thumbsup2

And, I do love me some bacon. I pay $3.99/pkg at Trader Joe's (not sure on the size, but it's plenty big - 12-15 slices) or I buy local. The taste and quality is SO worth the extra cost!

I try to buy local, in-season, sustainable, and organic as much as possible. My meat costs have not increased in the past 3+ years. Am I just lucky, or is it because I buy local and there aren't as many determining cost increase factors? :confused3

ChisJo
03-29-2011, 12:59 AM
I just read an article that we should expect grocery prices to jump about 30% in the next year...Wish my salary would go up 30% this year.

Food is the one thing that has inflated so dramatically over the years...its sad really. We don't buy bacon, but even the cost of veggies and fruit...yikes!

SandrA9810
03-29-2011, 02:23 AM
Food prices is the one thing I don't miss about Florida. It was expensive there for produce.

There's an Asian couple that go to the local flea markets that I buy nearly all my fresh greens from. They have their own farm and pick the food just before going to the flea markets.
I've noticed that some of the Mexican sellers just buy produce in bulk for cheaper and then sell it per pound a bit cheaper than the grocery store. But I'm starting to not like the taste of mass produced stuff.

But because the Asians like their specialty greens like bok choy and chinese broccoli, their stuff is all home grown and sold in bundles for a dollar. For a dollar each that's usually enough for a week I get:
Spinach
broccoli
chinese broccoli
carrots
sweet potatoes
bok choy
red or romaine lettuce
orange lemons (crossed bred tree)
and come summer time they're going to grow tomatoes.

As for still at the grocery store, 75 cents to a dollar a pound for bananas (in florida it was always 49 cents or cheaper), $1.50 to $2.50 for tomatoes ($2.50 was the usual sale price for tomatoes on the vine in florida), and about a $1 a pound for apples.

I'm trying hard to cut out meat as well, I go for the 93/7 or higher for ground beef and usually pay about $4 per pound, then divide it at home into 4 oz baggies. If I make cheese burgers we each get 4oz, if it's mixed into the meal like pasta I only use one.

Pork and chicken are the two meats I'm trying to stick mostly with. A couple weeks ago, I got huge chicken breasts (bone-in) for 99 cents a pound, each piece is about a pound, so 50 cents each for a meal isn't bad. And the next time the pork loins go on sale B1G1, I'm stocking up, but that's about a $1.50 per serving.

Milk however is through the roof, $3.04 for a gallon of 2%. Eggs are a $1.64 for a dozen.

Pastamom
03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Yes Prices have gone up here too.
3.59 for a lb of Romaine lettuce and the lettuce had brown spots
3.00 for a lb of butter - Walmart brand - 4+ for a name brand
4.00 for a lb of bacon
3.49 for a gallon of 2% milk

Just paid $3.53 for a gallon of gas...

BTW DS 11 thinks bacon is a food group all it's own:rotfl:

nunzia
03-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I just read an article that we should expect grocery prices to jump about 30% in the next year...Wish my salary would go up 30% this year.

Food is the one thing that has inflated so dramatically over the years...its sad really. We don't buy bacon, but even the cost of veggies and fruit...yikes!

...and what is funny is that the gov't doesn't count the cost of food or energy in their cost of living analysis..whaaaatt???!!

Avocados are still reasonable here..usually 2 for a dollar, sometimes 4 depending on how ripe they are.

Are avocados easy to grow? How do you flash freeze strawberries? Just take off the top and throw them in a bag?

ConnieB
03-29-2011, 07:44 AM
...and what is funny is that the gov't doesn't count the cost of food or energy in their cost of living analysis..whaaaatt???!!

Avocados are still reasonable here..usually 2 for a dollar, sometimes 4 depending on how ripe they are.

Are avocados easy to grow? How do you flash freeze strawberries? Just take off the top and throw them in a bag?

When we flash freeze the strawberries, for some we just take the green stem part off and others we will slice a bit more (those usually are for dessert use where the whole ones are to throw in a smoothie)....then you spread them on a cookie sheet and stick in the freezer for an hour. Once they're individually frozen you can put them in freezer bags and they're easier to get just a few out. If you throw them in the bag to freeze they tend to become a big glob of berries that you have to either thaw (and thus use them all) or use a chisel to break off some, lol. Been there, done that.

You can flash freeze most any fruit....when nectarines and peaches finally get cheap we'll do them as well...same with melon, plums, mangos, etc. Bananas are cheap around here, but if we buy too many and they're starting to show signs of brown, I'll peel and flash freeze them as well. Not so good for straight eating after thawed, but works fine for smoothies and banana bread. Apples will freeze well but tend to change color even when we've tried using lemon juice or that chemical product to stop it....but my family eats apples every day so it's rare that they go bad around here and they're cheap most of the year so not a big deal for us.

angierae
03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Because of this thread I looked yesterday (I don't usually buy bacon, and when I do I buy platter bacon by the strip from my local small grocer because we can't eat a whole pound of bacon and we don't eat it often enough to separate and freeze, plus, well, I like the thicker cut bacon) but a package of low-sodium bacon was on sale 2/$6. I didn't go over by the main bacon display so I don't know what other prices were around.

n2mm
03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Our bacon in our area is only $5.99 a pound, but every week a different brand is on sale at our local grocery store for BOGO, so $3.00 a pound. I've not seen much change in prices in our area lately except veggies. While green peppers are 2.99 a pound, I can still buy a bag of them with 5 in the bag for 2.99 a bag -- granted they are generally misshapened, but work for me since I cut them up. Our gallon of milk is still below $3.00 too, while other areas seem to be more. I guess it helps living in a small town outside Wash. DC. I buy whats on sale each week, so not really feeling much of a change. I generally buy my bread from biglots for $1.20 a loaf - sunbeam and freeze it. I do alot of my staples shopping at walmart which is alot cheaper than any other store I can go to. And their brands are pretty good, but it's hit or miss. I still buy my meats at the grocery store depending on the sale. This week is boneless chicken breast for $1.99 a pound.

Dawson's Mom
03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
We live near an Aunt Millies bakery outlet, I can get 100% whole wheat bread for .59 a loaf!:banana: This is usually 3.59 a loaf. The date is usually 2-4 days from the sell by date, but always fresh and good! I buy a ton, usually 20 loves and stock the deep freeze. Other things to buy there are bagels, english muffins, etc. So check and see if you have a bakery outler near you, it may be worth a drive. As far as other things, milk is about 2.50gal and gas is about 3.69. I'm with everyone too, we use way less meat of any kind. We usually buy chicken or ground turkey and freeze it into small packages. We eat tons of veggies now, I add them to pretty much everything :rotfl:

angierae
03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Almost every week, one of the grocery stores will have one brand or another of bread on sale for $1 a loaf. I tend to buy 5-6 at a time and freeze it. It's not always my preferred brand (Aunt Millie's) but that goes on sale often enough that I could just wait for them and buy a lot more (yay for having a second freezer) but usually I just buy whatever's on sale when my stock pile is getting low.

This week all I've had to buy so far is produce because I've got quite a bit stockpiled from sales+coupons. I'm going to have to stay on top of that with prices going up, though.

jakoky
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Prices are crazy here too...Milk is almost 4.50 a gallon and gas is now $5.20(we are paying 1.30 a litre here)....As for bacon, usually at least one brand is on sale for $5 dollars each week, although we maybe eat bacon once a month so it isnt too big a deal for us...:sad2: When i see all these threads that families are spending only 75 dollars a week, i just dont get it...We go thru almost $12 a week in just milk! With gas prices, it is my teenagers i feel sorry for, they are really complaining when they put gas in their tanks, and i think they are thinking twice before driving anywhere....Good thing minimum wage is finally going up here!

OceanAnnie
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
YUM!!!! Fresh blueberries are the BEST! I am considering planting some rasp and blackberry bushes, I'm just not sure it's something I want to plant because of the way they grow. We did have raspberries when I was growing up, they were so good!!! I want banana peppers as well but haven't seen any anywhere!! I'm hoping like crazy that they come in somewhere soon!! :) This is honestly my biggest garden ever, I usually only do some tomato plants and that's it.....

Avocado's are rarely under $1 each here, usually $1.25-2. So, we are also trying an avocado tree. :) We had a pit that we have sprouted, it's going to be replanted this week and hopefully it gives us some yummy avocados eventually. :) Until then I'll keep paying $1-2 each for them......
and gas...you are not going to like it when you get here, we are going to DL next week, gas near my house is currently $3.89 a gallon....I'm guessing it will be more in Anaheim......

I have done the exact same thing! :) I have saved a ton of avocado pits to plant. But I do have one that has sprouted to about knee high. I'm excited, even though I read somewhere it takes 4 years to produce. :upsidedow

mombrontrent
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM

In Canada, we've been paying $9+ for bacon for YEARS. It comes in 1/2 pound packages here...if I can find it for under $4 for one, I buy in bulk....otherwise we do without. Coupons are a joke here, "sales" mean about 10-25 cents off, not 50-90%....and it goes on and on....

The saddest part is, it isn't the farmers who are getting most of the money in either country...it's the middle-men...if you can find a good abbatoir, or make friends with farmers, it's not only much cheaper, the farmer gets ridiculously more of the money....

Where the heck in Canada do you live? I live in central Ontario (close to Toronto) and I've NEVER seen bacon that price. I buy the brand name bacon on sale for under $3 a pound all the time, I've even bought it for $1.99 a pound.

Tink-n-MrIncredible
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
We live near an Aunt Millies bakery outlet, I can get 100% whole wheat bread for .59 a loaf!:banana: This is usually 3.59 a loaf. The date is usually 2-4 days from the sell by date, but always fresh and good! I buy a ton, usually 20 loves and stock the deep freeze. Other things to buy there are bagels, english muffins, etc. So check and see if you have a bakery outler near you, it may be worth a drive. As far as other things, milk is about 2.50gal and gas is about 3.69. I'm with everyone too, we use way less meat of any kind. We usually buy chicken or ground turkey and freeze it into small packages. We eat tons of veggies now, I add them to pretty much everything :rotfl:

I just came back from WD and I paid $4.87 for a gallon of milk including 4%tax.:scared1:

Colleen27
03-29-2011, 02:55 PM

:thumbsup2 I have noticed the prices at the grocery store have gone up, but I don't mind for most things because it just makes it easier to justify shopping the farmers' markets and buying direct. I'm loving that our community now has an indoor, winter farmer's market (mostly pasta, dairy, eggs, herbs, jams/salsas, and a few greenhouse-grown veggies) and really looking forward to the big market starting up again for the season.

I think my garden is destined for yet another expansion, though. My freezer stores didn't last as long as I thought they would, so I need to put more up this season.

wvjules
03-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I tried planting a dollar and it didn't grow a money tree. :(

n2mm
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I tried planting a dollar and it didn't grow a money tree. :(

You probably didn't use the right fertilizer!!

Bungle
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Prices are crazy here too...Milk is almost 4.50 a gallon and gas is now $5.20(we are paying 1.30 a litre here)....As for bacon, usually at least one brand is on sale for $5 dollars each week, although we maybe eat bacon once a month so it isnt too big a deal for us...:sad2: When i see all these threads that families are spending only 75 dollars a week, i just dont get it...We go thru almost $12 a week in just milk! With gas prices, it is my teenagers i feel sorry for, they are really complaining when they put gas in their tanks, and i think they are thinking twice before driving anywhere....Good thing minimum wage is finally going up here!

Holy crap :scared1:

Prices have gone up here too but I can get milk for 2.25 a gallon, bacon about $3/lb. I have to say though that it really depends on the store. The safeway here is so outrageous.

emdav
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
My 6 year old daughter was asking last night why we hadn't had bacon for a while. I told her that it was $6 a pound and I didn't feel like paying that much. Her response was to tell me that it was necessary to kill a pig and make it into bacon. Therefore, we should "respect the price." It made me laugh that she determined what a reasonable price for bacon should be based on the labor involved.

ChisJo
03-29-2011, 05:10 PM

:thumbsup2 Although, in Alberta, our gas is only $1.07/L, but our 4L milk is $4. I only buy bacon when Sobeys has BOGO, so maybe once a year, and that lasts us a long time. For my husband and me, groceries are between $75-$100/week, and when we have my teenage step-son, it's over $100/week. In Canada, we don't have the luxury of having the coupon perks that the US has (double coupon days, for example) and even if we did, alot of the times I find its for food that I wouldn't buy my step-son (KD, processes high sugared foods), so eating healthy is kicking me in the butt, but worth it.

pigletto
03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Where the heck in Canada do you live? I live in central Ontario (close to Toronto) and I've NEVER seen bacon that price. I buy the brand name bacon on sale for under $3 a pound all the time, I've even bought it for $1.99 a pound.

I'm in Ontario and I don't ever see bacon that price. It was on sale the other day for 3.99 but that's about as low as I have seen it in awhile. I do agree with the poster that our milk and bread prices have always been really high. I can hop over the border and pay HALF as much for staples than I can here. I don't know if I would use the word "spoiled" though.
Makes one wonder why milk is 5.00 here but I drive 20 minutes away and cross the border and it's 2.00 less.

Coupons here aren't bad at all. I used to think they were non existant until i found a forum specific to Canadian deals.. we often have crazy good coupons. I didn't pay for shampoo/razors/maxi pads/body wash etc for over a year when I was actively following that forum. And I commonly see coupons for junky stuff.. but I have tons of coupons for veggies and fruits (frozen) dairy products (including cheese, milk and yogurt) etc. You have to know where to look and it takes a little work.. but trust me there are signifigant deals to be had if you check out SmartCanucks. It takes some work to get into couponing here..but it absolutely can be done.

ChisJo
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Coupons here aren't bad at all. I used to think they were non existant until i found a forum specific to Canadian deals.. we often have crazy good coupons. I didn't pay for shampoo/razors/maxi pads/body wash etc for over a year when I was actively following that forum. And it I commonly see coupons for junky stuff.. but I have tons of coupons for veggies and fruits (frozen) dairy products (including cheese, milk and yogurt) etc. You have to know where to look and it takes a little work.. but trust me there are signifigant deals to be had if you check out SmartCanucks. It takes some work to get into couponing here..but it absolutely can be done.

I know that website...and I love it. However, I find that it is geared for more of the central/Eastern provinces (esp. Ontario). Alot of the deals that are posted there are specific to Ontario and are useless for us Westerners.

pigletto
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I know that website...and I love it. However, I find that it is geared for more of the central/Eastern provinces (esp. Ontario). Alot of the deals that are posted there are specific to Ontario and are useless for us Westerners.

Absolutely true. Although I am totally jealous of your airlmiles programs:rotfl: it sucks here. I was trying to get enough for our Universal passes and it's taking me months.. westerners are earning enough in a month.

Dorisk3
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I love bacon as much as the next person, but I wouldn't consider a "staple."

C.Ann
03-29-2011, 09:25 PM
When we flash freeze the strawberries, for some we just take the green stem part off and others we will slice a bit more (those usually are for dessert use where the whole ones are to throw in a smoothie)....then you spread them on a cookie sheet and stick in the freezer for an hour. Once they're individually frozen you can put them in freezer bags and they're easier to get just a few out. If you throw them in the bag to freeze they tend to become a big glob of berries that you have to either thaw (and thus use them all) or use a chisel to break off some, lol. Been there, done that.

You can flash freeze most any fruit....when nectarines and peaches finally get cheap we'll do them as well...same with melon, plums, mangos, etc. Bananas are cheap around here, but if we buy too many and they're starting to show signs of brown, I'll peel and flash freeze them as well. Not so good for straight eating after thawed, but works fine for smoothies and banana bread. Apples will freeze well but tend to change color even when we've tried using lemon juice or that chemical product to stop it....but my family eats apples every day so it's rare that they go bad around here and they're cheap most of the year so not a big deal for us.

Thanks for sharing all this info..:) I was just going to go on an internet hunt regarding freezing fresh fruits.. Most of my favorite dessert recipes (many baked) call for one fruit or another and I would like to be able to buy them in season and freeze them..

I have one question in particular though - about the apples.. My Dson-in-law loves anything with apples in it, so many of my baked desserts call for different types of apples.. Since they're mixed into the recipe and baked, color isn't important - but will it change the texture or taste?

Thanks! :goodvibes

SandrA9810
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for sharing all this info..:) I was just going to go on an internet hunt regarding freezing fresh fruits.. Most of my favorite dessert recipes (many baked) call for one fruit or another and I would like to be able to buy them in season and freeze them..

I have one question in particular though - about the apples.. My Dson-in-law loves anything with apples in it, so many of my baked desserts call for different types of apples.. Since they're mixed into the recipe and baked, color isn't important - but will it change the texture or taste?

Thanks! :goodvibes

Sprinkling lime juice helps to keep them from browning once you slice them. If they figured out a way to sell them sliced in baggies at the grocery store, I'm sure you could freeze them.

And most the time, desserts call for the granny smith or other slightly bitter varieties, so I doubt you'd taste the lime in it.

CowboyCO
03-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I love bacon as much as the next person, but I wouldn't consider a "staple."

Well, when there is a whole market that deals in the commodity, I'd call that a staple. It's a staple of the American diet. I lump it in there with things you buy regularly such as milk, eggs, butter, bread, meat, vegetables and yes - bacon.

dntd
03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I've given up buying milk and snacks in Canada, poor boarder patrol is going to start suspecting us of something with us going 2x a week!

Colleen27
03-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Sprinkling lime juice helps to keep them from browning once you slice them. If they figured out a way to sell them sliced in baggies at the grocery store, I'm sure you could freeze them.

And most the time, desserts call for the granny smith or other slightly bitter varieties, so I doubt you'd taste the lime in it.

To stop them from browning there's always food-grade ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder. Most stores have it with the canning supplies, at least in my area, and it doesn't have the flavor of using lemon or lime juice.

Tink2Day
03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
If you're really a cowboy in Colorado, raise your own.

We've always had a few head of cattle, some chickens, pigs, turkeys.

I think this year instead of my small garden I'll take an acre of land to plant in veggies and berries and hope it doesn't kill me to tend it.

A relative said they paid $2 for a bell pepper in Colorado! :scared1:

That's one of the things that is the easiest to grow too.

canadianjovigirl
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Another person in Western Canada and yep sounds like they are now close to our regular prices. Milk here is $4.00 of 4 litres, gas $1.12/litre, bacon $5.99/pound............

I love shopping in the US as there is crazy variety and low prices..............like really i had never seen an aisle of frozen pizza varietys like i saw at the grocery stores in America, here we have one little cooler with varieties...........there they had a whole aisle of freezers with different makes and kinds :eek:

I love the price of cheese the most as we love cheese and here its so expensive compared to there...................i miss living near the border in BC and just going across to buy cheese, milk and butter :sad2:

WendyLovesPeter
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Ethanol industry is raising your food prices (and will continue to do so) and taking down your livestock farmers

SandrA9810
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Ethanol industry is raising your food prices (and will continue to do so) and taking down your livestock farmers

I think livestock owners need to go back to the way things were supposed to be. Grow some grass and let the cows eat. Grain was introduced as a cheaper alternative, but now that it's not anymore... just let them go back to eating what they're supposed to.

I'm really hating corn and scientists for trying to figure out everything they can do with it. I love eating a good corn off the cob, but stop trying to make it the basis of the world. If EVERYTHING didn't include corn... it wouldn't be priced so high.

CowboyCO
03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
If you're really a cowboy in Colorado, raise your own.

We've always had a few head of cattle, some chickens, pigs, turkeys.

I think this year instead of my small garden I'll take an acre of land to plant in veggies and berries and hope it doesn't kill me to tend it.

A relative said they paid $2 for a bell pepper in Colorado! :scared1:

That's one of the things that is the easiest to grow too.

I'm a Wyoming Grad in Colorado - Cowboys - CO...

TBS, I live at 8,500 feet and the growing season is about 60 days and the deer, squirrels, and bears eat anything we try to grow. I hunt for some of our meat (deer and elk) but the freezer is bare until fall...

Dorisk3
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, when there is a whole market that deals in the commodity, I'd call that a staple. It's a staple of the American diet. I lump it in there with things you buy regularly such as milk, eggs, butter, bread, meat, vegetables and yes - bacon.

And we wonder why there is an obesity epidemic in America. Bacon a staple?!?!?! Bacon should be eaten every 6 months tops!

CowboyCO
03-31-2011, 02:50 PM
And we wonder why there is an obesity epidemic in America. Bacon a staple?!?!?! Bacon should be eaten every 6 months tops!

Maybe you should talk to your congressman about a new law... Until such a law exists, I will continue to make bacon with my eggs a couple of days a week.

PSSST we also eat sausage:scared1:, cream gravy:scared1::scared1:, biscuits with butter:scared1::scared1::scared1: and wait for it.............pancakes made from bleached flour!:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

dntd
03-31-2011, 02:50 PM
We own 6 hens as pets, they are cheap to feed and produce lots of eggs and we compost the waste for our garden. We get 5 -6 eggs daily. they are easy to care for. I also gow lots of things in the backyard and can when in season. Salsa and jam are really cheap when you do it yourself:) I also bake my own bread and own 2 bread makers, along with a slicer that makes the bread look like store bough.Bread on sale only get to $2 a loaf and that's the crappy white bread!

nunzia
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

Party Pooper....

OceanAnnie
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Maybe you should talk to your congressman about a new law... Until such a law exists, I will continue to make bacon with my eggs a couple of days a week.

PSSST we also eat sausage:scared1:, cream gravy:scared1::scared1:, biscuits with butter:scared1::scared1::scared1: and wait for it.............pancakes made from bleached flour!:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good eats!

delmar411
03-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Geez, you all live in some seriously high COL areas!

Our milk is $2.50/gal..Aldi's was $1.99/gal last week
Eggs are around $1-ish
Bacon is $2.50/lb for store brand(I just bought a pound last week for $1.50 at Kroger w/ a kroger coupon)...there is a name brand on sale this week for $3.49/lb
lettuce can be had for as little as $1
Avocado is normally around $1 each and goes on sale for much less in the summer

this week I can get red or green grapes for .79/lb
bananas are around .50/lb (goes up or down a few cents)

I just checked the Meijer ad and you can get OM center cut bacon for $2.99 this week or another brand for $2.50/lb

jodifla
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Geez, you all live in some seriously high COL areas!

Our milk is $2.50/gal..Aldi's was $1.99/gal last week
Eggs are around $1-ish
Bacon is $2.50/lb for store brand(I just bought a pound last week for $1.50 at Kroger w/ a kroger coupon)...there is a name brand on sale this week for $3.49/lb
lettuce can be had for as little as $1
Avocado is normally around $1 each and goes on sale for much less in the summer

this week I can get red or green grapes for .79/lb
bananas are around .50/lb (goes up or down a few cents)

I just checked the Meijer ad and you can get OM center cut bacon for $2.99 this week or another brand for $2.50/lb

Yes, these prices are similar to ours.

maleficentmom
03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
I live in east TN ,and milk here this week at Target is $2.59 for their brand, that is about as cheap as you will see it here. Mayfield brand is usually $4.99,Walgreens may run it for $3.49,organic is $5-$6...Avocados are $1 on sale, most places here run chicken here for 88-99 cents lb on sale(bone in breasts)...$1.79-1.99 boneless on sale. We have seen a big jump in reg. prices on meat/milk/etc in the past 2 weeks...I got Kraft Mayo at Ingles for $2.98 on sale..but they had upped the reg price to $4.98. I bought a half gallon of ice cream and it was $6.

Tink2Day
03-31-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm a Wyoming Grad in Colorado - Cowboys - CO...

TBS, I live at 8,500 feet and the growing season is about 60 days and the deer, squirrels, and bears eat anything we try to grow. I hunt for some of our meat (deer and elk) but the freezer is bare until fall...

Some of my family lives around an hour north of Denver, one lives in Denver and they always have nice gardens.

Yes I'm VERY familiar with the Uof WY Cowboys Brown and Gold, where college rodeo draws more spectators than the other sports.:)
A school where their basketball arena is Arena-Auditorium (guess they couldn't decide if it's an arena or an auditorium:rotfl2:)

Laramie where the wind always blows, or so it seems.
Oh and we have raccoons, (little burglars) squirrels, coyotes, pheasant, roadrunners, cranes, geese, skunks, jackrabbits etc etc etc. Live right by the wild life refuge.

Judique
03-31-2011, 06:56 PM

That diet has enabled me to meet a few cardiologists....now it's fiber, veggies and exercise...

happygirl
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM
I was shocked I go grocery prices have went up in a month, I grocery shop once a month. I pretty much buy the same thing every week.

C.Ann
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM

To stop them from browning there's always food-grade ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder. Most stores have it with the canning supplies, at least in my area, and it doesn't have the flavor of using lemon or lime juice.

Thanks for that info.. Last year, I was really shocked to see a bag of apples for $5 (mac's) that could normally be purchased for 99 cents.. I can only imagine what they'll be this year..:eek:

CowboyCO
03-31-2011, 09:38 PM
That diet has enabled me to meet a few cardiologists....now it's fiber, veggies and exercise...

That diet enabled my grandfather to live to 92, my father is 82 and still eating bacon. Although I'm about 25 pounds over my ideal weight, it has little to do with bacon and much to do with my reduced activity level. Now that the weather is getting better, I'm getting out more. Just took a two mile hike up to 9,500 feet and didn't keel over. Heart disease has a hereditary link and my family is blessed to live long, lives eating bacon, butter and cheese. If butter and other rich foods were the cause of heart disease then there wouldn't be a Frenchman alive past 50!

I just had a check up this year and cholesterol is below 190, heart's good and my colon has been THOROUGHLY cleared of any problems.

Planogirl
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Anything in moderation is what I say. We occasionally eat bacon but it is our meat of the day when we do so. I understand that it's not good for you but I don't think that it will kill you if you have it occasionally.

allison443
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Maybe you should talk to your congressman about a new law... Until such a law exists, I will continue to make bacon with my eggs a couple of days a week.PSSST we also eat sausage:scared1:, cream gravy:scared1::scared1:, biscuits with butter:scared1::scared1::scared1: and wait for it.............pancakes made from bleached flour!:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

I guess it's worth $9 a package to you then. :confused3

happygirl
04-01-2011, 07:19 AM
That diet enabled my grandfather to live to 92, my father is 82 and still eating bacon. Although I'm about 25 pounds over my ideal weight, it has little to do with bacon and much to do with my reduced activity level. Now that the weather is getting better, I'm getting out more. Just took a two mile hike up to 9,500 feet and didn't keel over. Heart disease has a hereditary link and my family is blessed to live long, lives eating bacon, butter and cheese. If butter and other rich foods were the cause of heart disease then there wouldn't be a Frenchman alive past 50!

I just had a check up this year and cholesterol is below 190, heart's good and my colon has been THOROUGHLY cleared of any problems.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Soarin_04
04-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Just got 3 1lb. packs on sale last week for $9...and two of the three packs went into the freezer. Honestly, if it's not on sale lately, I'll do without my beloved bacon, and you KNOW the economy is bad and I'm feeling the pinch if I say that! :rotfl2:

CowboyCO
04-01-2011, 08:41 AM
DW just got 2 1-lb house brand packs that were close to date for 50% off, so we got them for $2.50. Straight to the freezer until I use them!

delmar411
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I live in east TN ,and milk here this week at Target is $2.59 for their brand, that is about as cheap as you will see it here. Mayfield brand is usually $4.99,Walgreens may run it for $3.49,organic is $5-$6...Avocados are $1 on sale, most places here run chicken here for 88-99 cents lb on sale(bone in breasts)...$1.79-1.99 boneless on sale. We have seen a big jump in reg. prices on meat/milk/etc in the past 2 weeks...I got Kraft Mayo at Ingles for $2.98 on sale..but they had upped the reg price to $4.98. I bought a half gallon of ice cream and it was $6.

I'm not sure if it's just my local Walmart but at the one here by my house ice cream has been on some bizarre sale. Like $2 each for all the name brand popsicles and ice cream treats(including weight watchers), less for more generic type brands, cartons of ice cream for $2, even B&J was $1.50....at first I thought they were not going to carry ice cream anymore since it was marked down more than 50% off but DH just checked last night and stuff is still marked down. He got a few cartons of ice cream for $2 each last night.

I'd be surprised if it was just a sale/markdown in my area. It's not like people don't buy ice cream here at full price! :laughing:

need2cruise
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Thank goodness we don't eat bacon!

We eat a ton of veggies and fruit and I've noticed that cost has been on the rise. A head of cauliflower cost me $3.89 yesterday! I have noticed though that per lb-the price of fresh veggies is now cheaper than many of the frozen ones! Aspargus is down to $1.99 per lb. and prickle pear was 2 for $1.00.

Everything is just all over the scale and doesn't make a lot of sense why!