PDA

View Full Version : cake pop maker??

bunny213
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
My DD wants a cake pop maker for her anniversary...I haven't even heard of these...where can I find one? :confused3 Has anyone seen them in a store anywhere?
TIA...barb

mommy2sixpumpkins
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I haven't heard of that one yet. Does she possibly mean a melter to melt the chocolate? Cake pops are generally cake and frosting mushed together and then dipped in chocolate. Good luck! They are fun to make and people love them!

tikilyn
03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I googled cake pop makers and got this one

http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers/cp-12

I've got a party to go to this weekend and all my husbands co-workers are begging him to get me to make oreo truffles. I might makes these too!

So what do I do, Bake a yellow cake and use white icing and chocolate cake with chocolate icing?

sas_mk
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Nonstick-Cake-Sicle-Pan-Sticks/dp/B0000VLYPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301329381&sr=8-4

This might be what she is looking for. :confused3

maggiew
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I saw the babycake maker that was linked in a previous post at JCPenneys. It was surprisingly in the catalog pickup area. I had to wait awhile for them to go retrieve my catalog order from the back, so I had a little time to look around the area and the babycake line was there.

Maggie

dancin'girl
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow- your thread has piqued my interest. I have the Cake Pops book, but haven't attempted any of the designs yet. I've heard that they are very time consuming to make! I wonder if this babycakes machine is quicker? Has anyone tried it before?

dancin'girl
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Just looked at JCPenny.com and they did not have the babycakes cakepops maker. They did have the cupcake maker, though.

DebMcDonald
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I've made these before without the use of the specialized cooker. When I have made them, I have cooked a 9 x 13 cake and while it's still warm put it into my mixer with a container of frosting and mix until completely mixed. I've used white frosting for white cake and chocolate for chocolate. After mixing put in fridge to cool and then roll into balls and then roll balls into colored chocolate of your choice (the meltable chocolate wafers). They are absolutely GREAT!

kwelch10377
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I've made these before without the use of the specialized cooker. When I have made them, I have cooked a 9 x 13 cake and while it's still warm put it into my mixer with a container of frosting and mix until completely mixed. I've used white frosting for white cake and chocolate for chocolate. After mixing put in fridge to cool and then roll into balls and then roll balls into colored chocolate of your choice (the meltable chocolate wafers). They are absolutely GREAT!

I have made these before as well, they are very tasty. With the cake pop maker you can't make them the same way though since you can't mix the frosting in with the baked cake.

My3kiddos
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Kohl's has the babycakes cake pop maker.

Earstou
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM

How long do these keep. If making for a party, how long in advance can you make them?

smidgen21
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Check out cake pops at bakerella dot com

http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-pops/

My SIL makes fabulous designs. She makes them the way the PP stated....9x13 cakes mixed with frosting. She recommends 2/3 can of frosting per cake. Roll about the size of a blow pop sucker, chill on cookie tray lined with wax paper, insert sucker stick and dip in melted chocolate. I like to use white tinted to my preference. And of course sprinkles ;-)

Diabolicdesire
03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
This is one I've seen. Its pricey.

http://heavenlycakepops.com/?page_id=386

bunny213
03-28-2011, 10:52 PM
my3kiddos...where did you see it at Kohls? I checked on line but couldn't find it...should I check the store?
Thank you all for your replies...I still haven't found one...barb

pezaddict231
03-28-2011, 11:29 PM
How long do these keep. If making for a party, how long in advance can you make them?

You can freeze them, I've made them two weeks in advance and frozen them then defrosted the day before and they were fine. If you don't want to freeze them, I've also made them and left them in the fridge for a week and they were still good. Basically they are cake / frosting covered in chocolate so will last about as long as cake normally would.

Check out cake pops at bakerella dot com

http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-pops/

My SIL makes fabulous designs. She makes them the way the PP stated....9x13 cakes mixed with frosting. She recommends 2/3 can of frosting per cake. Roll about the size of a blow pop sucker, chill on cookie tray lined with wax paper, insert sucker stick and dip in melted chocolate. I like to use white tinted to my preference. And of course sprinkles ;-)

I make them this way too and they are so good! I only use about 1/2 a can of frosting. The babycakes maker looks interesting but I don't think they would taste nearly as good. The frosting kind of makes it. ;) Maybe get your daughter the bakerella book and then some supplies?

Mickeyflower
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Don't waste your money on the maker. When I make them, I use an ice cream scoop. I have a few different sizes so I can make small ones, medium ones and HOLY COW THAT'S BIG! You could maybe make up a kit for her by purchasing everything needed: cake mixes, frosting, recipe books, sticks, paper cups, melting chocolate, different things to decorate them with. Maybe put it all in a cute plastic container of some kind.

bas71873
03-29-2011, 05:58 AM

I've got a party to go to this weekend and all my husbands co-workers are begging him to get me to make oreo truffles. I might makes these too!

So what do I do, Bake a yellow cake and use white icing and chocolate cake with chocolate icing?

These are super easy. I made them for St. Patty's Day for DD's class. I crushed one package of oreos in my food processor and then mushed that together with 1 eight ounce block of cream cheese (at room temp) and then rolled 1 inch balls (it made 36 of them). Stuck those in the fridge for about 15 minutes to harden some and then dipped them in green melting chips (Wilton brand I found at Michaels) and then sprinkles St. Patty's Day sprinkles on them. Put them back in the fridge to harden and then packed them up for the kids. Deadly delicious!

traces7
03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
my3kiddos...where did you see it at Kohls? I checked on line but couldn't find it...should I check the store?
Thank you all for your replies...I still haven't found one...barb

I saw it in the most recent Kohls flyer, but haven't looked at the store yet. I thought it was the cupcake maker, that's what I'd like to get my DD. But when I looked closer it said cake pop maker. I think it was on sale for $29.99. HTH :goodvibes

bas71873
03-29-2011, 07:43 AM

I made oreo balls for St. Pattys (same concept but with oreos & cream cheese) and I munched on the leftovers for about a week? I think as long as they are kept in the fridge they will be OK.

maggiew
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM

That is really interesting! What was the material she was working with? It looked like fondant? Or is that what the cake/frosting mixture looks like?

I've never made cake pops before, but I might make some for my DDs Sweet 16 party.

Maggie

Diabolicdesire
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
It's the cake and frosting mixture. She just rolled it flat

princessnoelly
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Nonstick-Cake-Sicle-Pan-Sticks/dp/B0000VLYPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301329381&sr=8-4

This might be what she is looking for. :confused3

I have this pan and we used it for a birthday party last year. Brownies will hold up and cookies- but the cake fell off. Maybe if you used a dense cake like sponge cake it might work.
If I could figure out how to post pictures I would. We used the "cake pops" as party favors and I took a sheet cake and made it look like on of the little cake pops....my DD loved it!

disneywatcher
03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Avon now sells these. They are 2 for 17 dollars and are made of silicone so they are foldable, bendable, easy to store.

disneyluvnmom
03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
I just saw the Babycakes Cake Pop Maker at Kohls today it was 19.99. they had the cake pop maker and the cupcake maker. I searched kohls.com and they are not on there so it must be in store only.

Suz D
03-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Why oh Why did you post this??:sick: I WANT IT!! But there's no way I'm spending $199 on it. I make so many oreo truffles for the holidays and it would save so much time (but not $199 worth of time).

Seriously though, thanks for posting this. I'm going to watch for them to come out on the market and perhaps they may be less expensive once the company is up and running.

BabyFu18
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
The babycakes cake pop maker actually looks like a nice idea to me, it's basically cake on a stick (without having to mix in the frosting like traditional cake pops).

I made regular cake pops for a family gathering, and though they were adorable, I did not like how they tasted at all. Mixed up cake and frosting molded into a pop just wasn't appetizing for me, they made cute decorations, but no one in my family would eat them. I tried the cake and frosting separately and they were both good, but mixed up together I just couldn't stomach it. If it makes a difference I've tried the oreo truffles several times and those are not a big hit around here either, must be a texture thing since both the cake pops and oreo truffles are similar in texture.

I know people love the original cake pops, but to me it's a waste if no one eats them. I think the cake pop maker is a better idea for my family because it's all cake (no frosting) that I can dip and decorate just like regular cake pops and my family is more likely to enjoy them that way. I'm going to look for the babycakes cake pop maker at my local Kohl's and see if I can find it, it'd be great cause I have a $10 giftcard to use up anyway!

maggiew
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
The babycakes cake pop maker actually looks like a nice idea to me, it's basically cake on a stick (without having to mix in the frosting like traditional cake pops).

I made regular cake pops for a family gathering, and though they were adorable, I did not like how they tasted at all. Mixed up cake and frosting molded into a pop just wasn't appetizing for me, they made cute decorations, but no one in my family would eat them. I tried the cake and frosting separately and they were both good, but mixed up together I just couldn't stomach it. If it makes a difference I've tried the oreo truffles several times and those are not a big hit around here either, must be a texture thing since both the cake pops and oreo truffles are similar in texture.

I know people love the original cake pops, but to me it's a waste if no one eats them. I think the cake pop maker is a better idea for my family because it's all cake (no frosting) that I can dip and decorate just like regular cake pops and my family is more likely to enjoy them that way. I'm going to look for the babycakes cake pop maker at my local Kohl's and see if I can find it, it'd be great cause I have a $10 giftcard to use up anyway!

Don't forget to use use a coupon too, if there are any available right now.
Maggie

DawnM
03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Dog gonnit people! I WANT ONE!

There was someone who posted making some of these a while back.....were they LGMs? I can't remember.

Would I really use it? That is the question.

Dawn

Diabolicdesire
03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Why oh Why did you post this??:sick: I WANT IT!! But there's no way I'm spending $199 on it. I make so many oreo truffles for the holidays and it would save so much time (but not $199 worth of time).

Seriously though, thanks for posting this. I'm going to watch for them to come out on the market and perhaps they may be less expensive once the company is up and running.

Sorry:rolleyes1 I really want one too but def couldn't see spending that much. I keep thinking hmmm, what could I use to get the same results without buying one. So far I haven't come up with anything so maybe one day they will be less, much less. I'm waiting for the $19.95 price range :rotfl2:

maggiew
03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Sorry:rolleyes1 I really want one too but def couldn't see spending that much. I keep thinking hmmm, what could I use to get the same results without buying one. So far I haven't come up with anything so maybe one day they will be less, much less. I'm waiting for the $19.95 price range :rotfl2:

My first thought was somehow using some Wilton flower forming trays

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=25167D93-1E0B-C910-EA3569D82770AF10&fid=5BF9F3F4-1E0B-C910-EAB6E3095B1960D2

If you could secure these to a board or something. Then another set for the top? I'm still in the drawing stages on a cheap alternative! :teacher:

Maggie

aprilfoolwed
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I just bought the purple babycakes pop maker at Kohl's tonight!

It was $19.99, and with my 30% off coupon, I got it for $14! I had to get it! My DD wants a cake party for her birthday next month. This will be to cute. Can't wait to try it!

DawnM
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
OH! I am going by Kohl's tomorrow! How did you find a 30% off coupon?

Dawn

I just bought the purple babycakes pop maker at Kohl's tonight!

It was $19.99, and with my 30% off coupon, I got it for $14! I had to get it! My DD wants a cake party for her birthday next month. This will be to cute. Can't wait to try it!

The Moonk's Mom
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Just went to Kohl's and bought mine too! Can't wait to try it out!

maggiew
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
OH! I am going by Kohl's tomorrow! How did you find a 30% off coupon?

Dawn

If you are a kohls charge member, they periodically send you % off coupons. Sometimes its 15%, sometimes its 20% and sometimes its 30%.

Maggie

DawnM
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I see. Yeah, I rarely shop at Kohls ever, so I probably won't be getting a charge card there.

$19 is still much better than the ebay $42 with shipping charges!

Dawn

If you are a kohls charge member, they periodically send you % off coupons. Sometimes its 15%, sometimes its 20% and sometimes its 30%.

Maggie

The Moonk's Mom
03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I tried mine out tonight...we like! I made the recipe for the chocolate cake that it came with and the vanilla glaze. My DS9 loves the cake doughnut holes from KK...so I figured this would be great for him. They came out light and fluffy like a piece of cake would be. I never liked the ones that were mixed with the frosting either because they were so heavy to me....I do know several people that like them, they just weren't for me.

So, anyway, my review, I LOVE IT! I will be using it to make treats for my DD11's bday party next weekend. It is so easy to use, just like a waffle iron. To me it is so worth the money because I can whip up a quick treat for the kids and it will cost next to nothing and won't heat up the whole kitchen.

So, here are my doughnut holes....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/moonksmom/210805040_photobucket_24733_.jpg

GinnyEmma
03-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Can you use a regular cake mix?

Suz D
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I tried mine out tonight...we like! I made the recipe for the chocolate cake that it came with and the vanilla glaze. My DS9 loves the cake doughnut holes from KK...so I figured this would be great for him. They came out light and fluffy like a piece of cake would be. I never liked the ones that were mixed with the frosting either because they were so heavy to me....I do know several people that like them, they just weren't for me.

So, anyway, my review, I LOVE IT! I will be using it to make treats for my DD11's bday party next weekend. It is so easy to use, just like a waffle iron. To me it is so worth the money because I can whip up a quick treat for the kids and it will cost next to nothing and won't heat up the whole kitchen.

Thanks for posting this!

kalliyan1
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Can you use a regular cake mix?

Yes, I bought one today as well and experimented. I bought a marble cake mix and it worked fine!!! They cook so quickly. I'm trying itnout to try and make cake pops for DS's graduation open house. The problem I have is, I bought the meltable choc discs and tried to dip them, although they tasted great, I don't know how to get them to look smooth/presentable. Any suggestions?

DawnM
03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
On the Babycakes website I was reading how to make them and it mentioned adding melted butter, oil, or crisco to the melted candies if it gets too thick, it will thin the mix out and create a smoother texture.

But just know that is what I read, I have never tried them!

Dawn

Yes, I bought one today as well and experimented. I bought a marble cake mix and it worked fine!!! They cook so quickly. I'm trying itnout to try and make cake pops for DS's graduation open house. The problem I have is, I bought the meltable choc discs and tried to dip them, although they tasted great, I don't know how to get them to look smooth/presentable. Any suggestions?

maggiew
03-30-2011, 10:58 PM

I haven't made the babycakes, but I have made a lot of oreo truffles! It takes some practice to get it to look nice. I find using 2 toothpicks works for me. I stick one into the uncoated ball (chilling or freezing them a little helps). Then dip into the chocolate. When coated, use the other toothpick to pry the coated ball off the original toothpick. I find setting them on a gridded cooling rack covered with waxed paper works best to allow them to dry. If a lot of chocolate drips off onto to wax paper puddling near the bottom of the ball, lift up the ball and move it to another spot of the waxed paper. Otherwise you will get a big rim of chocolate around the base that you can't get off easily.

Maggie

DawnM
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
YUM! :thumbsup2

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/moonksmom/210805040_photobucket_24733_.jpg

GinnyEmma
03-31-2011, 07:01 AM

Thank you!

I am awful with chocolate. I hope you get it to work.

kalliyan1
03-31-2011, 10:04 AM
On the Babycakes website I was reading how to make them and it mentioned adding melted butter, oil, or crisco to the melted candies if it gets too thick, it will thin the mix out and create a smoother texture.

But just know that is what I read, I have never tried them!

Dawn

I haven't made the babycakes, but I have made a lot of oreo truffles! It takes some practice to get it to look nice. I find using 2 toothpicks works for me. I stick one into the uncoated ball (chilling or freezing them a little helps). Then dip into the chocolate. When coated, use the other toothpick to pry the coated ball off the original toothpick. I find setting them on a gridded cooling rack covered with waxed paper works best to allow them to dry. If a lot of chocolate drips off onto to wax paper puddling near the bottom of the ball, lift up the ball and move it to another spot of the waxed paper. Otherwise you will get a big rim of chocolate around the base that you can't get off easily.

Maggie

Thanks for the info...I will try it out. By the time I practice enough to be perfect for my ds graduation, they will be rolling me in the door :rotfl: afterall, you can't let all the ones you make go to waste!!!

aladams2
03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I am taking a cooking class on this on Sat. AM. I'm really looking forward to it. I love to bake and like to eat it more!! I'm hoping I like it and that it's easy enough to do again at home. It seems like it would be a great activity to do w/ my girls. The machine looks tempting. I have to wait to see what it's like Sat before I buy. I'll report back w/ the results.

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
My Kohl's didn't have it! :headache:

Where else do they sell these? Target? Bed, Bath and Beyond?????

Dawn

The Moonk's Mom
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Where are you in NC?

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
South end of Charlotte

Where are you in NC?

The Moonk's Mom
03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Well....not sure if you want to drive this far....but they have them at the Salisbury Kohl's

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks. Probably not. My car gets 17mpg, so that trip would cost about $15 in gas just to get it, not to mention a 2 hour or more round trip. Thanks though.

I should have asked if they could get one in.....I could still do that, but I had all 3 of my BOYS with me and they hate shopping and I hate shopping with them! It takes 3 times as long for me to find anything because they somehow think the store is one giant playground! :rolleyes:

The store I went to (South Blvd.) did have the other two Babycakes machines (donuts and mini muffins) so I know they carry the brand.

Dawn

Well....not sure if you want to drive this far....but they have them at the Salisbury Kohl's

The Moonk's Mom
03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Wait...are you shopping with my kids? I am sure they cam check the other stores, they tracked down dome jewelry for me once at the University store ....I. wentand combined with a trip to Ikea.

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I think I will call them. I have company flying in tonight and a packed long weekend, so no time to actually play with the machine anyway until later next week.....

Dawn

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh my WORD! I just called the Pineville Kohls and the lady was SO rude. She told me there is no way to look it up or know if they ever carry them or if they will get them in again or if any other stores have them unless *I*, the customer, can provide her with the UPC code. She then told me that they HAVE the donut maker and the cupcake maker and those should be fine for me or I can just come back to the store periodically to look for myself.

REALLY?????? SHEESH!

However, if any of you will provide me with the UPC code I guess I could call back.

Good Grief!

Dawn

DawnM
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Called back a 2nd time and somehow in the transfer I got hung up on.....Ok, now I am just ticked.....I never shop at Kohl's, now I remember why.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

maggiew
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow! In my experience, Kohls has always had the best customer service!!! Sorry you didn't get the same.

I don't have one of the cake pop makers, but if I get one this weekend or stop by the store, I will get the UPC number for you.

Maggie

The Moonk's Mom
03-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Here...good luck
6 55772 00849 7

I hate they were so rude! They are almost overly friendly at the one here!

DawnM
03-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Thank you. My guess is that it was just the one employee as the person answering seemed friendly enough, although he couldn't help me.

I think I will stop by the one on 74 on Monday night as I need to go that way on Monday.

Hopefully I will find one somewhere.

Dawn

Here...good luck
6 55772 00849 7

I hate they were so rude! They are almost overly friendly at the one here!

elgerber
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Wah, my Kohls didn't have it either. Probably best, having easy access to cake is probably not a good thing for me! But I still want it LOL!!!!

Starbrite
04-01-2011, 08:00 PM
OK, maybe mines defective or something....but is anyone else having trouble getting it to latch closed?? :confused3 I can't figure out what I'mdoing wrong & its too darn hot to stick my finger in there.

If it doesn't close the whole way, the front 3 don't bake in the shape of a ball....they're like little flying cake saucers

maggiew
04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I stopped by Kohls today and they didn't have the cake pop maker. They had the whoppie pie maker, the donut maker and the cupcake maker; but not the cake pop maker.

Maggie

The Moonk's Mom
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
OK, maybe mines defective or something....but is anyone else having trouble getting it to latch closed?? :confused3 I can't figure out what I'mdoing wrong & its too darn hot to stick my finger in there.

If it doesn't close the whole way, the front 3 don't bake in the shape of a ball....they're like little flying cake saucers

I found out when I was using mine that you have to squeeze the latch like you are unlatching then close it down then release the latch for it to catch.

Starbrite
04-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I found out when I was using mine that you have to squeeze the latch like you are unlatching then close it down then release the latch for it to catch.

Thank You!! That helped!! :thumbsup2

My thoughts on it after 1 use....Super easy to use! Very fast - each dozen takes about 4-5 minutes. They come out in perfect little balls. I've been making Oreo Truffles for ages, so I have the whole dip & decorate thing down pat!

My only problem so far, I think they're too dry. (Then again, I don't like cake) But I think I can fix that next time if I "inject" them with a squirt of icing or something.

The kids called them "amazing"

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/bowser79/Photo05391.jpg

** Sorry, I dont know how to make that pic smaller!!

caribear
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Anyone have a secret for making the dipping chocolate smooth and easy to apply? I made some cake pops yesterday......by hand.....and used semi-sweet morsels, but I could not get the chocolate thin enough. I read to use shortening, but I really do not want to add any more fat onto these pops! I do not have a double boiler....so I just melted the chocolate in the microwave. I picked up the Babycakes maker at Kohls today....looking forward to trying it out!

The Moonk's Mom
04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Thank You!! That helped!! :thumbsup2

My thoughts on it after 1 use....Super easy to use! Very fast - each dozen takes about 4-5 minutes. They come out in perfect little balls. I've been making Oreo Truffles for ages, so I have the whole dip & decorate thing down pat!

My only problem so far, I think they're too dry. (Then again, I don't like cake) But I think I can fix that next time if I "inject" them with a squirt of icing or something.

The kids called them "amazing"

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/bowser79/Photo05391.jpg

** Sorry, I dont know how to make that pic smaller!!

They look super yummy!

Did you use the recipe in the book or did you use cake mix? I did the book recipe and thought they turned out fairly moist....just wondered if box mix made a difference ....we are trying the box mix tomorrow.

Starbrite
04-01-2011, 10:53 PM
They look super yummy!

Did you use the recipe in the book or did you use cake mix? I did the book recipe and thought they turned out fairly moist....just wondered if box mix made a difference ....we are trying the box mix tomorrow.

I used a boxed mix. Maybe that's the problem. I definately think that little injector will make a huge difference.

But, I don't even like cake - the kids said they were great. So it could be just me.

The Moonk's Mom
04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I used a boxed mix. Maybe that's the problem. I definately think that little injector will make a huge difference.

But, I don't even like cake - the kids said they were great. So it could be just me.

Okay...that may be it...the recipe in the book yields a pretty thin batter...thinner than what you would get following the exact recipe for a box mix....I may play with thinning the box mix tomorrow to see how it effects the end result.

tink15823
04-02-2011, 08:06 AM

If this is what she is looking for my Dmil got her's at Kmart for about $20.00. The kids loved it and you can us store bought cake mixes.WE used carrot cake with cream cheese frosting filling . Brownies with peanut butter frosting . Apple Cinnamon pops . We also used a frosting tip and made stuffed wholes.

Starbrite
04-02-2011, 10:13 AM
.... Brownies with peanut butter frosting . Apple Cinnamon pops . We also used a frosting tip and made stuffed wholes.

DS was just asking if it would work for brownie pops.

aprilfoolwed
04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I am trying my Babycakes Cake Pops maker this afternoon - and I can't wait! Yum!

And I am totally trying brownies in it later this week. I'll let you know if it works!

Mike's Minnie
04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Wow!! After reading this thread I am definately going to buy one. I'm thinking of just making the the Pops putting them on a stick & letting the guest decorate them. Kind of like a fondue. Or an ice cream smorgabord.Can't wait to have a party now.

aprilfoolwed
04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow!! After reading this thread I am definately going to buy one. I'm thinking of just making the the Pops putting them on a stick & letting the guest decorate them. Kind of like a fondue. Or an ice cream smorgabord.Can't wait to have a party now.

This is exactly what we are doing. My DD wanted a "cupcake" party, and we are still going to decorate regular cupcakes too, but these cake pops have added a whole new dimention to the party!

bunny213
04-02-2011, 12:17 PM
OP here...well...thank you...I DID find one at Kohl's and with my 30% coupon..it was only 14.99!! :cool1: Thank you so much!...now I'm off to copy all these suggestions and things to add to her Anniversary card...thank you again Disfriends!! barb

elgerber
04-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Man, I want one of these so bad!!! I hope my Kohls gets them soon!! I just got a $5 off card that can be used with a 15%, so it would be such a good deal and looks so yummy!!!

aladams2
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Anyone have a secret for making the dipping chocolate smooth and easy to apply? I made some cake pops yesterday......by hand.....and used semi-sweet morsels, but I could not get the chocolate thin enough. I read to use shortening, but I really do not want to add any more fat onto these pops! I do not have a double boiler....so I just melted the chocolate in the microwave. I picked up the Babycakes maker at Kohls today....looking forward to trying it out!

Don't use chocolate chips. They don't melt the way they are suppose to for dipping. You need to use the flat baking chips like Wilton. Those will melt very smooth and thin. The white are the best and the colored ones you will need to add the shortening to so they will thin out.

aprilfoolwed
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Okay - tried my cake pop maker tonight....

I used a boxed cake mix (vanilla) and had a really hard time getting the cake pops to be balls. They all looked like mushrooms. Towards the end of the batch, I was getting some rounded ones. So it takes some time to figure out the right timing and how much batter. My biggest issue was filling the wells fast enough. I ended up with the most success with the ziplock filled with batter.

I used the candy melts from AC More for the coating. The vanilla ones were "goopier" than the chocolate. The chocolate was much easier to work with.

We did red sprinkles (some sugar sprinkles; some jimmies) to match the boys' birthday party supplies for tomorrow. They are not perfect, but they look cute enough. I hope to get a pic tomorrow before the party.

I will do round two tomorrow night before DS's school birthday party!

Oh - best idea ever? Dip the vanilla cake in peanut butter (heated and thinned with a little oil) and then in the chocolate. For any of you in the Philadelphia area - just like a Tastycake KandyKake! Sooooooo good!

kelly1218
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Okay - tried my cake pop maker tonight....

I used a boxed cake mix (vanilla) and had a really hard time getting the cake pops to be balls. They all looked like mushrooms. Towards the end of the batch, I was getting some rounded ones. So it takes some time to figure out the right timing and how much batter. My biggest issue was filling the wells fast enough. I ended up with the most success with the ziplock filled with batter.

I used the candy melts from AC More for the coating. The vanilla ones were "goopier" than the chocolate. The chocolate was much easier to work with.

We did red sprinkles (some sugar sprinkles; some jimmies) to match the boys' birthday party supplies for tomorrow. They are not perfect, but they look cute enough. I hope to get a pic tomorrow before the party.

I will do round two tomorrow night before DS's school birthday party!

Oh - best idea ever? Dip the vanilla cake in peanut butter (heated and thinned with a little oil) and then in the chocolate. For any of you in the Philadelphia area - just like a Tastycake KandyKake! Sooooooo good!

Well, you just sold me :lmao:

DawnM
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I found one!

I had to go to a wedding Saturday in Asheville so I left 15 min. early to stop at the Kohl's in Gastonia. They had a lot of them there.

We made donut holes this morning for b-fast!

I would like to make some cake pops for a scout event tonight, but not sure I have time for tonight's party.

Dawn

brennanavery
04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Is Kohl's the only bm retailer that sells them? I went to my local Kohls this weekend. All they had left was the display model. Clerk said that they usually don't sell the display model. She checked with the store manager and he said that I could buy it but there is no box etc. and there would be no discount. I passed on it, figuring I could find it somewhere else. I checked my local K mart and they don't have them. I see them online, but for $42.00. Don't need it that bad. Guess I will wait until Kohls restocks.

elgerber
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Is Kohl's the only bm retailer that sells them? I went to my local Kohls this weekend. All they had left was the display model. Clerk said that they usually don't sell the display model. She checked with the store manager and he said that I could buy it but there is no box etc. and there would be no discount. I passed on it, figuring I could find it somewhere else. I checked my local K mart and they don't have them. I see them online, but for $42.00. Don't need it that bad. Guess I will wait until Kohls restocks.

I have tried Target and Wal-mart and they don't carry that brand. I am trying another Kohls today.

The Moonk's Mom
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I found one!

I had to go to a wedding Saturday in Asheville so I left 15 min. early to stop at the Kohl's in Gastonia. They had a lot of them there.

We made donut holes this morning for b-fast!

I would like to make some cake pops for a scout event tonight, but not sure I have time for tonight's party.

Dawn

Glad you got one! Nice windy weekend to be in A-ville!

Diabolicdesire
04-04-2011, 01:30 PM

JCPenney carries the brand. I saw the cupcake maker at ours this weekend.

momtomari
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
my kohls did not have one :mad: wish they would have though

elgerber
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Yay, I got one! Of course it was full price now. Oh well, I am happy to have it!

momtomari
04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Yay, I got one! Of course it was full price now. Oh well, I am happy to have it!

How much is full price?

elgerber
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
How much is full price?

$29.99, I then used 15% off and $5 off.

momtomari
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
$29.99, I then used 15% off and $5 off.

Thanks. Still wish my kohls had one.

DopeysMom
04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Has anyone ever frozen the pops before putting the stick in? I'm thinking if I need to make 50 pops, they will fit better in my freezer just as the balls, without the stick, then when I take them out to defrost I can just dip them in chocolate the day before the party. Any advice would be great, I've never made them before and will be trying my first batch tonight. :)

book_junkie
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Has anyone tried this instead of the actual cake ball baking gizmo: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/77290000/77291238.JPG

The author has a blog (http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-balls/) and has been featured on the Disney Family website, and since I couldn't justify buying a single use kitchen appliance with my counter space :lmao: I'd try them out.

:worship::faint: They ended up being the best things ever, and really simple, just a little time consuming because of the steps involved. I've been doing cake balls (haven't gotten brave enough to try pops yet, but everyone who's tried them wants more. I've been asked to make them for our Relay for Life fundraiser and a friend's birthday party. The best so far was what I call death by chocolate (devil's food cake with milk chocolate icing, covered with melted milk chocolate chips and sprinkled with chocolate jimmies).

Might be an alternative if you can't find or don't want a cake ball/ doughnut hole cooker...

:goodvibes :hippie:

java
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I love bakerellas blog- although I am not a huge fan of the texture of the balls- the frosting mixed with cake ones. It's a frosting thing I think. That's why I am anxious to find the maker! Oh the fun I could have! I did make lego head ones off of Bakerellas site and the kids loved them. I just didn't care for the cake.

Those chicks are adorable!

DawnM
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, but the wedding was beautiful. It was one of my best friend's daughter's wedding.

It really bothered me though that any of us would be old enough to have a child getting married! My kids are much younger than hers. She got married at 19 and had her first child at 20 or 21.

I haven't made the cake pops yet, but I did make donut holes with the recipe in the book. I used glaze on top. The kids LOVED them!

Dawn

Glad you got one! Nice windy weekend to be in A-ville!

maggiew
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I am going to try to make the chick pops! (Although I am going to do the cake pop maker and not the cake balls.) Those are so cute!

I think I found one at a store somewhat near me. Neither of the 2 Kohls closest to me had one. But the one CM looked up the UPC code that someone previously posted (:hug: Thanks) and found one at a store a little ways away. They are supposedly holding it for me to pick up tonight.

Maggie

ardig123
04-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I made some without the cake pop maker and they turned out great...very easy to make! I posted them on my blog...here is a link if you would like to check them out...pictures and directions :)

http://divvyupdiva.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-cake-pops.html

maggiew
04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Your easter egg pops look so good!

So you had to dip the cake pops twice? Did the first not cover it or did it just look better?

Maggie

ardig123
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I only dipped the actual balls once. But I did dip the sticks in chocolate before I stuck them in the balls. This helped to "seal" the sticks in. Then I stuck them in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden and then dipped the whole ball into the melted chocolate. If you want to decorate the cake pops you have to do it immediately before the chocolate hardens.

maggiew
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
The cake pop maker is on sale at Kohls this week for $19.99. I used my 15% coupon on it yesterday. I wish these were available online so I could use a 30% code. But I usually only get the 15% on my flyer.

Maggie

java
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Scored one today at Kohls for $8.11!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

It was on sale for $19.99 then I had a save 20% and I had a $10 off coupon too! Bringing the grand total to $8.11! gotta love that. Patience paid off. I couldn't afford the $29.99 but I can afford $8!

DawnM
04-16-2011, 04:00 PM
How did you get the $10 off coupon? Was it from purcasing over $50 in goods previously?

Dawn

Scored one today at Kohls for $8.11!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

It was on sale for $19.99 then I had a save 20% and I had a $10 off coupon too! Bringing the grand total to $8.11! gotta love that. Patience paid off. I couldn't afford the $29.99 but I can afford $8!

java
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
How did you get the $10 off coupon? Was it from purcasing over $50 in goods previously?

Dawn

No it was in the paper last weekend in the Kohl's flyer

mpbest
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I just bought a babycakes cake online at Kohls. They are on sale for 19.99, then I got 15% off. Use code eastersale for an additional 15%. Not sure when the code expires.

ardig123
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I have looked at two different Kohls and have not had any luck :(:confused3

java
04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I have looked at two different Kohls and have not had any luck :(:confused3

I called the 3 kohls in my area to save the driving around. Found one store with 2 left and they held one for me for 24 hours!

maggiew
04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I just bought a babycakes cake online at Kohls. They are on sale for 19.99, then I got 15% off. Use code eastersale for an additional 15%. Not sure when the code expires.

Wow! They ARE online now!! They weren't a week ago.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/home.jsp;jsessionid=hSLGNnLX3HcZs2l678ZkphQNgNFPLy rGFvcjxbQCtGk9VjLq1T5p!205635172!1660807814

I made some this weekend, but had trouble with the cake balls sliding down the stick. What am I doing wrong? I put them in the freezer to freeze them a little so they would be harder, and it helped a little.

Here is my first attempt:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205616_1645149296533_1470918387_2840191_2869144_n. jpg

Maggie

ardig123
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I am not sure how the machine works...but when I made mine by hand I dipped the stick in melted chocolate first and then stuck in the cake pop...then I put them in the fridge to harden for about 30 minutes...this kept the stick in place pretty good. I think I put a picture of that on my blog (link above)...although I am not sure if that will help when using the cake pop maker.

java
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow! They ARE online now!! They weren't a week ago.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/home.jsp;jsessionid=hSLGNnLX3HcZs2l678ZkphQNgNFPLy rGFvcjxbQCtGk9VjLq1T5p!205635172!1660807814

I made some this weekend, but had trouble with the cake balls sliding down the stick. What am I doing wrong? I put them in the freezer to freeze them a little so they would be harder, and it helped a little.

Here is my first attempt:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205616_1645149296533_1470918387_2840191_2869144_n. jpg

Maggie

So cute! Try dipping your sticks in Chocolate or whatever melt you used first before sticking it in- helps it to stick I think.

maggiew
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I am not sure how the machine works...but when I made mine by hand I dipped the stick in melted chocolate first and then stuck in the cake pop...then I put them in the fridge to harden for about 30 minutes...this kept the stick in place pretty good. I think I put a picture of that on my blog (link above)...although I am not sure if that will help when using the cake pop maker.

I think my problem was that I stuck the stick in the chocolate and then put that in the freezer. Then I took it out and put on the cake pops.

Next time I will try it where I put the sticks in chocolate and then put on the cake pop and then stick the whole thing in the freezer. Although, that means I have to clear out the huge bag of cherries that need to be processed from our cherry trees that I hurried up and stuck in the "beer fridge" freezer before we left for vacation last summer in order to make room for my cake pop foam thing.

P.S. Decorating sugars (sprinkles) do NOT work well. It makes a big gloppy mess if you try to roll the wet chocolate in the sugars. You need something more like jimmies or crushed nuts.

P.P.S. I had to add a little oil to the chocolate melts in order to make it thin enough to coat properly. You can kind of see my first attempt before adding the oil in my picture above. Its the one pop in the back where the chocolate looks all lumpy. I used Wilton chocolate melts.

Maggie

39CINDERELLA
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
where do you add the code? tiaprincess:
nvm...got it

chrissyt27
04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I saw that they were online and had a 20% off so I was super excited. but 2 Kohls didnít have them, one had a display, I ended up ordering it in the store at the Kiosk. You donít have to pay shipping! I had read about the kiosk here on the board so I asked and they said sure and pointed me that way. It I is just like ordering online and I was able to use my code and I actually googled the 30% off code on my phone and used it. that code ended yesterday though.
I would have gladly gotten it at the store, but after weeks of looking I was glad to just get it. well not yet, it did ship though.

So if your store doesnít have it order it on the kiosk to save shipping.

IMACM
05-13-2011, 11:33 PM
FYI, Starbucks has the BEST birthday cake pops EVER!!! I bought 24 for my daughters birthday for $32. I called them a couple weeks prior and they thawed them out and had them all reasy for me when I arrived to pick them up!!

I am hoping Kohl's gets the Babycakes cake pop makers back online SOOONNN cause I have a 30% off coupon too but for now I purchased a different one at JCPenney's tonight for $30. My 15 year old DD has been making them by hand for a couple months, they are delish!!! :) Can't wait to try out the new pop maker this weekend!!

elgerber
05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
FYI, Starbucks has the BEST birthday cake pops EVER!!! I bought 24 for my daughters birthday for $32. I called them a couple weeks prior and they thawed them out and had them all reasy for me when I arrived to pick them up!!

I am hoping Kohl's gets the Babycakes cake pop makers back online SOOONNN cause I have a 30% off coupon too but for now I purchased a different one at JCPenney's tonight for $30. My 15 year old DD has been making them by hand for a couple months, they are delish!!! :) Can't wait to try out the new pop maker this weekend!!
Starbucks are to die for! My Starbucks had them for about 3 weeks but they never have them anymore.

If only the ones made with the baby cakes were anywhere near that good.

DawnM
05-14-2011, 09:26 AM
oooooo............these look really good!

http://www.lovefromtheoven.com/category/recipes-ideas-resources-and-more/cake-pops/

Dawn

maggiew
05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Those oreo truffle birthday cakes are so cute!!! It looks like it would take long time to shape each truffle, though.

Maggie

xbatman
05-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I saw the babycakes maker on sale this week at Kohl's, but today may be the last day of the sale.

natenapril
05-14-2011, 11:58 AM
oooooo............these look really good!

http://www.lovefromtheoven.com/category/recipes-ideas-resources-and-more/cake-pops/

Dawn

Thanks! I just ordered this! My kids love truffles. I'm going to make the gift can that she shows at the end of her blog for our family reunion in a few weeks.

Those oreo truffle birthday cakes are so cute!!! It looks like it would take long time to shape each truffle, though.

Maggie

On her website she has where you can order a set of 4 but I don't think that would speed up the process:confused3 I just ordered one and am excited to give it a shot:cool1:

DawnM
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Probably, but I think cream cheese sounds better than a tub of frosting.

Dawn

Maggie

maggiew
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Probably, but I think cream cheese sounds better than a tub of frosting.

Dawn

The oreo truffles are delicious!!! I made them for Christmas.

Maggie

karinbelle
05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Kohl's has them on sale for $20 this weekend.

virginiamama
05-17-2011, 06:43 AM
I am sooooo making Schwetty Balls for Christmas this year!

maggiew
05-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I made the cupcake shape cake pops for DDs Sweet 16! I used oreo truffles instead of cake pops.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db08b3127ccefd6f87c148fe00000030O08AaMmzJk5bNA e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db08b3127ccefd6f1fe4c9a700000030O08AaMmzJk5bNA e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Maggie

TheRatPack
05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm thinking of making these for my oldest dd's sweet 16 and wondered something. We're doing a couple of chocolate fountains.....do you think the cake balls would be okay on a stick not dipped in chocolate until the guest do it? I'm going to have white chocolate and milk chocolate, but hated to predip the cakes if it would be easier/tastier to have the guest dip their own. Having never made cake pops before I wondered if the cake would stay on the stick long enough for that to happen though....as I notice many of you freeze them a bit before dipping them and then when they thaw I figured the chocolate must be holding them together.

DawnM
05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Those are awesome!

I made the oreo truffles too, but didn't use a shape, just made them into balls and dipped them. They were SO good!

Dawn

I made the cupcake shape cake pops for DDs Sweet 16! I used oreo truffles instead of cake pops.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db08b3127ccefd6f87c148fe00000030O08AaMmzJk5bNA e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db08b3127ccefd6f1fe4c9a700000030O08AaMmzJk5bNA e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Maggie

dvcfamily
06-14-2011, 08:44 AM
We have tasted several cake pops at parties and such. They are extremely popular right now. We picked some up at a local restaurant that carried them as a dessert. They were absolutely the best tasting cake pops we have ever tried. The vendor was Pops By Ivy that supplies them with it. They have a website and even discovered she makes Mickey and Minnie and Nightmare Before Christmas ones!

Here is her website
http://www.popsbyivy.com

She also has a facebook book page that she updates regularly with new creations. Simply amazing. I don't think they ship so you need to be local but they are absolutely incredible. We tried making some and gave up, tough work!

Jakesmom504
06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
So glad I found this thread!! :cheer2:

PaulaSue
07-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Yeah! I finally found a cake pop maker at Kohls this week. I went in for something else and wow right at that door display it was there and it was purple. (DD's the baker favorite color).

It wasn't on sale but got to love the 30% off postcard I got. So after waiting 6 months she finally got one! (MIL got her the cupcake maker by accident for her birthday in Jan and she has been holding on to the creidt since then.):goodvibes

ThisIsTheYear
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah! I finally found a cake pop maker at Kohls this week. I went in for something else and wow right at that door display it was there and it was purple. (DD's the baker favorite color).

It wasn't on sale but got to love the 30% off postcard I got. So after waiting 6 months she finally got one! (MIL got her the cupcake maker by accident for her birthday in Jan and she has been holding on to the creidt since then.):goodvibes

That's great! :woohoo: I still haven't seen them in Kohl's! Luckily I stalked them a few months ago and got one, but I'm still looking for my little sister-in-law.

PrincessSuzanne
07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
That's great! :woohoo: I still haven't seen them in Kohl's! Luckily I stalked them a few months ago and got one, but I'm still looking for my little sister-in-law.

Our Kohls' has the cakepop maker, the cupcake maker, and I think a donut maker. When they are on sale, they are a really decent price. I think next time I have a coupon and they are on sale I will pick me up one.

mom2mikel
07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
FYI - Walmart has them online (clearance) for $15.00. Not sure how much shipping adds....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Babycakes-Cupcake-Maker-Red/15077807

nevermind...just realized that was CUPCAKES...sory!