PDA

View Full Version : Want to help me plan budget friendly Easter baskets?

Whistle
03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I have two boys who are (almost) 13 and 10. I would LOVE some budget friendly Easter basket ideas. I really don't want to do a lot of little "junky" stuff .... what are your ideas? I would love to keep the baskets at about 30.00 each.

I was thinking so far:
an ITunes gift card (10.00 each)
chocolate bunny (a necessity!)

????

Also, do you have any ideas for frugal basket ideas? My boys really aren't into the "traditional" basket idea-- anything will work. :)

ilovejack02
03-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I would think a video game if they are gamers each to add and they would prob be happy campers . : )

patsal
03-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Do they need new hats or baseball caps for summer? If so, get those and invert them, fillup with your goodies--my kids loved staburst and skittles so I'd get the vendor box from BJ's or Sam's split it between the two, add a chocolate bunny and a gift card (rather than the crappy stuff they don't even use) and a few extra candies from the freebies I'd get at CVS or Wags and call it a day.

java
03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
My cheapo ones so far for my older 2 include candy and tee shirts for DS, DD is getting a couple shirts that I got at the friends and family sale at Aero. I'm going to throw in some flip flops in dd's.

One thing that I am going to do is wrap in cello. On the outside of the basket I am dropping wrapped candy- it adds a festive touch and a little goes a long way- vs. it disappearing into the basket..

Perditamarie
03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
get them ready for summer with:

* sunglasses/swim goggles
* bathing suit
* flip flops
* beef jerky
* a book
* sleep shorts

Perditamarie
03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh about the baskets - love the hat idea! You could also use:

* backpacks/drawstring back sacks
* laundry hamper (can even be collapsible, a la Disboards tips!)
* storage tote or cube/milk crate/waste basket for room
* beach towel or chair

Whistle
03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm loving the ideas ... keep 'em coming!

katesorad
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe books, comic books, or magazines? I like the idea of summer "supplies".. water toys, etc. I always got a new pair of shoes in my Easter basket. That was often my favorite part. Sometimes a new pair of pajamas, t-shirts, etc. Just stuff for spring!

Kitzka
03-27-2011, 05:11 PM
DD is 12 and will get a few egg candies, cadbury cream, kinder egg (2 of each) an apple store gc (she is saving for a MacBook and this will help) $10 iTunes card and maybe something like flip flops or some fashion glasses that she wanted from hot topic.

Lara

dntd
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
This year my 4 boys are each getting:
A chocolate cross($1)
A tin easter egg w/ Jesus message($1)
bubble gum in an egg despenser(2/$1)
ring pop(5/$1)
giant sucker($1)
Gummy candy($1)
flying disk toy(.50)
Bible activity book($1)
Fish tackle shop gc because they asked for one($10)

my DD is getting bubbles,nail polish,lipgloss, and hanna montana easter eggs instead of a gift card. We do an easter egg hunt with real eggs in the AM.

fortwildernessishome
03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I have two boys who are (almost) 13 and 10. I would LOVE some budget friendly Easter basket ideas. I really don't want to do a lot of little "junky" stuff .... what are your ideas? I would love to keep the baskets at about 30.00 each.

I was thinking so far:
an ITunes gift card (10.00 each)
chocolate bunny (a necessity!)

????

Also, do you have any ideas for frugal basket ideas? My boys really aren't into the "traditional" basket idea-- anything will work. :)

I havent used a traditional basket in years for my boys. I always use a good size pail. We always need new pails every year for the beach and lake so they get lots of use. Last year I found some great pails in the dollar spot at Target.