PDA

View Full Version : father in law threw a kink in our plans

Pages : [1] 2

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 10:54 AM
NOW, I have to find it in the budget to pay for parking, or find someone to take us to the airport.
Why do people do this!?:headache:

Yankeemouse
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Exactly why I always park my own vehicle for the week. I've had that situation with family members too, it stinks. How they can back out or change plans at last minute is crazy. So now I just plan on parking for the week and add it to the budget. Hope it works out for you!

SPHB ILU
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
sorry!

ExPirateShopGirl
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Look on the bright side... he gave you 44 days' notice.

happily single
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I know that the ValuPak coupons that come in the mail normally have a coupon for parking at my local airport. You can also go to their website and search for coupons.

NYCDiane
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Gee, he only gave you 6 weeks' notice??? How inconsiderate can he be!?!?!? :mad:

Why not just take an airport "limo" (aka: Bus)??? They're not all that expensive and they'll take you right to the terminal.

Oh, and this is precisely why I don't count or depend on anyone to do anything for me. If I know I need to be somewhere, I make my own arrangements to get there even if it means I have to pay extra to do so (whether by parking the car for a week or taking other transportation)

scrapquitler
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
NOW, I have to find it in the budget to pay for parking, or find someone to take us to the airport.

I use my AAA discount and park at the "near but outside the airport" valet parking place for less than $50 for a week. If your budget is that close, eliminate one table service meal and opt for counter service, that should cover it.

ilovemk76
03-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Why do you think others owe you a free ride so you can go on vacation. We never ask others to do us favors just so we can save money. If you cannot afford to pay for airport parking then you cannot afford to fly.

Dizneydaz
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry that happened to you. :confused3 We only live about 30 min. from our local airport and one of my Dsis usually takes us. I know that if they say they will take us, and pick us up, they will. I also take and pick them up as well. Last Sept. my mom didn't want to ask them to get us there at 5 a.m. so we parked at one of the outside lots. It think it only cost about $75 for 10 days.

I don't like to take vans to the airport as they pick you up so early in order to guarantee you are on time.

One thing we did last time was while my DM waited for the luggage my DD11 and I hopped on the parking lot van and went and got the car. I paid ahead online (for the great price) so it only took us about 15-20 min. or so from the time we left the terminal to the time we parked and picked up my mom and all our luggage. Oh, and doing it this way gave us the added benefit of not having to tip the driver for handling our luggage. We only took our carry-ons on the van and we handled them ourselves.

I like Park 'n Fly. At least at our airport they pick you up very close to your vehicle and they drop you off right at your car. Works great!

Search online for your local airport and sign up on the parking lot websites. Also search for deals. I got a better deal goggling it rather than on their own website.

Have a great trip!

FYI-my DSsis and her DH are going to WDW in May. They are leaving from LAX at 8 a.m. which is over an hour from our house. They are also getting back about 10:30 p.m. They are going to be parking offsite this time. ;)We won't be taking or picking them up.

bkool2323
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Why do you think others owe you a free ride so you can go on vacation. We never ask others to do us favors just so we can save money. If you cannot afford to pay for airport parking then you cannot afford to fly.

Ouch, but it is true. Your vacation your expenses. I do not imposition anyone to save a buck.

RitaE
03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Both O'Hare and Midway have several low cost parking options and you seem to have plenty of time to find one.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Park N' Fly near our airport. Easy Peasy.

There is usually a coupon floating around for a free days parking or you can get a discount for everything using the AAA card.
We also have the Park N' Fly membership card and after so many days staying there you get free days.

You could look for something like that at your airport.

shortbun
03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I see this as a non issue but I don't go on vacation with a rigid budget; it's too risky and I would not enjoy myself if I was constantly aware of how much I was spending.

DVCBELLE
03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
You have gotten plenty of notice and honestly if the week parking at the airport is going to break your budget - then your budget is too tight.

Gas is expensive now - so you were going to have him use his gas to take you to and from the airport - wouldn't you have taken him out or given him a gift as a thank you?

You won't be driving that week - use your normal gas budget. Skip a couple of meals out between now and then.

MrsJackSparrow4Life
03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
This is one of the perks of living a 15 minute walk from the airport. One of us drops everyone else off with the luggage and then parks the car at home and walks back up to the airport.

Of course it also means all family and friends use us as airport parking. It's a good thing we have enough parking for 5 cars :rotfl:

calypso*a*go-go
03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't see any reason why everyone has to jump down OP's throat about this...obviously they are disappointed that the FIL cannot give them a ride to the airport, I would be too!

Just ask other friends, neighbors, or relatives and offer to pay for the gas -- hopefully someone will come through for you!!! :thumbsup2

jgates
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
We used an off-site shuttle parking service at Midway & it wasn't too bad. You didn't state what airport you were leaving from.

I don't think we need to be mean to the OP - she was very possibly having Dad use their car to get them there or paying for the gas, etc. I have my mom take me & drop me but I put gas in the vehicle both round trips. It's just one of those things that comes up & is just a kick in the A**.

The point about not using any gas, paying any tolls, or parking for your own vehicle during the week should help.

Otherwise, if not already in your budget, make the adults each have one meal a day where you just have a glass of water from counter service or something like that. You can pick up $5 a day that way but not spending it on soda. Or get one larger one at each meal & share it so save the cost of the 2nd one x 3 meals a day for about $7.50. My DH & I normally share a soda (everywhere) & I have a glass of water too - I just want a few sips.

One guy from Chicago uses a Town Car from his house - said it equates to parking onsite for the cost -but not sure which service he uses.

Dax
03-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't see any reason why everyone has to jump down OP's throat about this...obviously they are disappointed that the FIL cannot give them a ride to the airport, I would be too!

Just ask other friends, neighbors, or relatives and offer to pay for the gas -- hopefully someone will come through for you!!! :thumbsup2

Because that is what happens on the DIS...one persons misery is anothers reason to flame them..

OP, I have always looked for off airport parking. I have gotten as low as $6 a day at some places..sometimes cheaper with coupons. Now I get to park for free on site being an airport employee...

southern_redhead
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
The OP never said that they even asked the FIL for a ride, perhaps he volunteered. My mom would volunteer to take us and drop us off........and we live TWO HOURS from the airport. It's just that she would never want to leave her car parked at an airport all week and she wouldn't want us to/would assume we didn't want to, as well. She wouldn't want to drive either of our cars. We would most likely fill her van up for her to get us there and back, I suppose. We have taken her and picked her up and not asked for money to cover the cost. Since the OP never said what the arrangements were, I think it would be judgmental to just up and decide they were trying to swindle anything out of him. She never said how far they were from the airport, perhaps gas isn't that big a factor.

I guess, were we in that situation, I would look at a taxi or other car service. I really, really don't like the idea of leaving my car unattended in an airport lot. When DH flew a lot for work he drove a beat up, old van that we HOPED would get stolen LOL But our *good* cars? No!! The ideas about the water at restaurants or about cutting out one meal and eating in the room are good ones, if that is something you can do. I don't know your meal plans so it might not work for you. What about starting a mini-fund and putting all loose change and one dollar bills in it? You'd be suprised how FAST that adds up and we really don't even miss the money we are putting in there. Change and ones usually go for junk we don't really *need* anyway, like candy or cokes from the vending machines at my work when my kids come after school. Now I buy a few drinks/snacks on sale and keep them on hand to fend off their munchies. Much cheaper and, since it is part of my grocery budget, it doesn't hurt! Just an example, that scenario might well not apply to you. If you have a weekly night out or you get take out some during the week, cut that out for now and pocket the money you would have spent. Little things go a long way!

Dizneydaz
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
When we have my DSis drive us to the airport we take my car. Besides using my own gas for the trip I can pack up the car the night before and then when we get up in the a.m. (assuming we slept-last Sept. I didn't-a first for me!) we are ready to go. She usually drives to our house (she lives about 2 minutes away) leaves her car, goes with us, drops us at the curb, drives my car back to my house (I have to trust her not to get in an accident!;)), and then takes her car back to her house. Since she drops us at the curb there's no parking fee to pay.

When she picks us up she brings my car again. Many times she'll even wash it, or at least hose it down, for me! Then when we leave the airport, I drive, and pay for the parking. But then that's what family does, we help each other out. I do the same thing for her when she visits her DD28 in KS (and in UT before she moved to KS)

I too don't see the need to jump all over the OP but then that's what happens sometimes (more times than it should) I just skip over those comments when reading threads. And if they are particularly snarky, I make sure to not subscribe to them if I leave a comment. I don't want them jumping all over me. If the thread has taken a really bad turn I will usually send the OP a PM instead. ;)

luvthemouse71
03-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Why do you think others owe you a free ride so you can go on vacation. We never ask others to do us favors just so we can save money. If you cannot afford to pay for airport parking then you cannot afford to fly.Sheesh, I was wondering when the self proclaimed DIS police were going to pop up and start the mudslinging..guess some people are bored.:rolleyes:

luvthemouse71
03-27-2011, 03:41 PM
This is one of the perks of living a 15 minute walk from the airport. One of us drops everyone else off with the luggage and then parks the car at home and walks back up to the airport.

Of course it also means all family and friends use us as airport parking. It's a good thing we have enough parking for 5 cars :rotfl:
I live within a few miles of my airport too. It's nice of you to help out friends/family like that. Although, we help each other out in my family as well..what I find sad here sometimes is that some people seem to be not very close to their family and seem to resent any kind of help or interaction with them. Just makes me realize how fortunate I am.

OP, how far away are you from our airport? I think I'd try to take public transportation there if available rather than park-I wouldn't relish the idea of leaving my car there all week, but I've known people who had their cars stolen at the airport so I'm paranoid.;)

EllenFrasier
03-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Do you have a neighbor that you could hire to take you to the airport? Might be cheaper to pay someone rather then park your car there. Of course, you do have to get back home when vacation is over. ;)

roliepolieoliefan
03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Sheesh, I was wondering when the self proclaimed DIS police were going to pop up and start the mudslinging..guess some people are bored.:rolleyes:

Why do some people expect a free ride to the airport and then get upset when that person backs out? I think sheesh :sad2: to that. Your vacation, your dime. We never rely on people to take us to the airport, then there is no disappointment or resentment .

Yea its pricey but we just figure that into the budget. And in the 2 + trips we take a year, we have never had a problem with anyone messing with our car. (knock on wood) :rolleyes:

marie1203
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
We always have to find creative ways to get to the airport since all our family lives far away and there is not transportation to it and because they are small airports not out-of-site parking. We usually have a friend take our car and drop us off. If that doesn't work then we found that getting a hotel with free shuttle to the airport that let you park is the best choice for us. It cost about the same (depending how long you will be gone) and we get to start our vacation a little early.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Gee, he only gave you 6 weeks' notice??? How inconsiderate can he be!?!?!? :mad:

Why not just take an airport "limo" (aka: Bus)??? They're not all that expensive and they'll take you right to the terminal.

Oh, and this is precisely why I don't count or depend on anyone to do anything for me. If I know I need to be somewhere, I make my own arrangements to get there even if it means I have to pay extra to do so (whether by parking the car for a week or taking other transportation)

Its not inexpensive when you live a hour away.

He's inconsiderate because we are on a TIGHT budget. TIGHT. There is NO wiggle room. Our flight leaves EARLY. And we get back around 7pm. And when tell someone you will do something, then back out, yes that is inconsiderate.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Both O'Hare and Midway have several low cost parking options and you seem to have plenty of time to find one.
$15 a day for long term is NOT cheap.
Nor is $75 for Park ride n fly.

spacemountainmom
03-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow! We always ask our neighbor to take us to the airport and he does it. We use our vehicle. My dh drives to the airport, we hop out and our neighbor drives our vehicle home and parks it for the week. We call him when the plane touches down and he grabs our vehicle and comes to pick us up.

We always bring him a shirt from Disney to say Thank you, but he would do it anyway. Just like I drive his kid places when mom or dad can't make it home in time. It's nice to have neighborly neighbors.

My parents would do it too except that usually they are going with us!

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I see this as a non issue but I don't go on vacation with a rigid budget; it's too risky and I would not enjoy myself if I was constantly aware of how much I was spending.
yah cause it was an option. Things NEVER come up... I guess I should of predicted my son having a blocked bowel, and 2 weeks later my 11 month old daughter stop breathing in her sleep and needing observation in the hospital.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Gas is expensive now - so you were going to have him use his gas to take you to and from the airport - wouldn't you have taken him out or given him a gift as a thank you?

You won't be driving that week - use your normal gas budget. Skip a couple of meals out between now and then.

Who said he was using his car? he has a focus. We have three kids and two adults. most of us would have to ride on the roof.

We have a minivan. So my gas. ALSO, we dont dine out cause our son has many allergies that make it hard, we cook from scratch. No soy, no dairy, no beef, no egg, no peanuts and almonds. and our gift to them? They live RENT free in my rental house while he's unemployed.

My husband is Work at home. I only go out every other thursday for groceries. I spend less than $30 a month on gas.

ilovejack02
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM

He's inconsiderate because we are on a TIGHT budget. TIGHT. There is NO wiggle room. Our flight leaves EARLY. And we get back around 7pm. And when tell someone you will do something, then back out, yes that is inconsiderate.

Inconsiderate is asking someone to drive you very early to the airport an hour away . If your budget is that tight , maybe there is something you can do to raise a little extra money to pay for a week parking. Your budget , is not his problem, it is only yours . He has given you plenty of notice to figure out a solution.

To add, I see he lives rent free in a home of yours.... maybe he needs to be reminded of this . You have to put all information out there , to make sure you get the response YOU want .

Octoberbabiesrus

THANKYOU!

We intend to ask our friend, I doubt she can, but its worth the asking. But then I gotta find someone to take us back.

kaytieeldr
Sheesh, I was wondering when the self proclaimed DIS police were going to pop up and start the mudslinging..guess some people are bored.:rolleyes:

Why do some people expect a free ride to the airport and then get upset when that person backs out? I think sheesh :sad2: to that. Your vacation, your dime. We never rely on people to take us to the airport, then there is no disappointment or resentment .

Yea its pricey but we just figure that into the budget. And in the 2 + trips we take a year, we have never had a problem with anyone messing with our car. (knock on wood) :rolleyes:

And it IS, or would have been, a free ride - whether volunteered or requested - as indicated by the OP's comment about now having to find room in their budget for airport transport.

You do what you have to do. At various times over the last ten years or so, I've been dropped off and picked up by my brother (and done the same for him); left my car at my sister's house, taken a taxi to the bus then the bus to the airport; left my car at the park & ride and used the bus; left my car at work and used the subway; taken a taxi; taken a town car; parked at a park & fly. It's cost between nothing (brother) and $120+ (park & ride - yes, the town car was cheaper!).

tigger51276
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
You know after all my years on the dis I shouldn't be surprised by some of the nasty comments yet I really am over this OP's post. She is simply saying she is disappointed that her FIL cancelled giving them a ride and now she has to try to find another or fit into their budget parking.
Have I parked my car at the airport before, yes, would I much prefer to have family drive me to the airport, absolutely. In fact I think in my entire adult life I've only ever had to pay to park twice and I'd much rather save that $100 bucks either for savings or for my trip. I can not fathom not asking my family to either drive or pick me up at the airport. They have actually yelled at me before for not doing that. They are my family and family is supposed to take care of family! If that means a 30 min drive or even a 2 hour drive then so be it. I would do it for them and they for me. Heck a friend of mine got stuck at an airport 2 states away once as her brother decided last minute not to pick her up so she called me in tears and sure enough I hoped in my car and made the 2 hour drive each way to get her no questions asked and nothing at all expected....I would hope that anyone would do such a thing to help out a friend or family member in need of assistance.
I will always be thankful I have the family I do and that I'm part of a very giving family. :goodvibes

lisaross
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
why not try looking for a hotel at a good rate that gives u a free shuttle to the airport? another crazy optionwould be driving ur car close to the airport - parking on a residential street and reserving a local car service..crazy but might save u some $$$$

Who said he was using his car? he has a focus. We have three kids and two adults. most of us would have to ride on the roof.

We have a minivan. So my gas. ALSO, we dont dine out cause our son has many allergies that make it hard, we cook from scratch. No soy, no dairy, no beef, no egg, no peanuts and almonds. and our gift to them? They live RENT free in my rental house while he's unemployed.

My husband is Work at home. I only go out every other thursday for groceries. I spend less than $30 a month on gas.

MoonFaerie
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
yah cause it was an option. Things NEVER come up... I guess I should of predicted my son having a blocked bowel, and 2 weeks later my 11 month old daughter stop breathing in her sleep and needing observation in the hospital.

If things can come up for you, then things can come up for your FIL too...

Personally, when things come up, we postpone vacation. If your budget is too tight to cover less than $100 in parking, what are you going to do if there's an emergency while your on vacation? DH lost his job less than 2 weeks before we were supposed to go in 2007. Since we didn't know how long it would take him to find work, we canceled. We would have been fine, as he found a job in 3 weeks and we would have been fine for about 5 months, but I still don't regret playing it safe.

MomiTo2SwtGuys
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Hope you find a way to the airport and have a wonderful trip!

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
why not try looking for a hotel at a good rate that gives u a free shuttle to the airport? another crazy optionwould be driving ur car close to the airport - parking on a residential street and reserving a local car service..crazy but might save u some $$$$

Unfortunately our airport is part of a major city. Parking on a side street would be a $$$$... as they tow if you dont have a resident sticker. The airport is also now in a more questionable area compared to when I grew up down the block. I dont particulary feel safe leaving my vehicle anywhere down there. HENCE why I was thrilled he was willing to take us. I think the hotel is gonna be my route. It's twice the cost of the lot. But it means we're close. If money was no option, I'd do the limo service. But thats over $300

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Hope you find a way to the airport and have a wonderful trip!

thankyou.:flower3:

SaraJayne
03-27-2011, 05:07 PM
If you don't have the budget to pay for parking, then maybe you need to reconsider the trip.

Your FIL gave you weeks of notice, which is plenty of time to find another option (IE, driving yourself to the airport).

When we drive two+ hours to the airport, we park in long term parking and take the shuttle to the main terminal. This costs us $5 a day.

canopynut66
03-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Over the years so many people have said Oh just let me know when you need to go to airport and then would would call them the excuses started:confused3 so decided would inquire how much a share ride limo would be and it is cheaper than a taxi in my area of Indianapolis. I really do not like leaving my car for two weeks in a parking area:scared1: and the cost is about the same and limo here on time to pick me up and when i come home it is there to bring me home and handles all bags:worship:

dntd
03-27-2011, 05:17 PM
All thses board have been lately is a way for people to jump on each other, crazy. I ask for help when I feel like I neeed it. I was tempted to ask my inlaws for help but as we are now driving so that isn't a problem now.

growinupdisney
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe you could find a friend that is need of a little cash...They drive you van and you pay them for their time. Come up with a reasonable amount that should be cheaper than the hotel! I would love to make about $50 to drive someone to the airport and pick them up. More $ to save for my trip:love:

hope you get it figured out!

Marionnette
03-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Nor is $75 for Park ride n fly.
When you consider how much gas would be used for 2 round trips in the car made by the driver, it's really not that much more expensive to drive down and park the car yourself. I don't know how many miles you are from the airport or what kind of mileage your van gets, but 4 total hours of driving there & back then there & back again has got to add up to quite a few gallons. Heck, the way that gas prices are going, 20 gallons would be more expensive than the Park & Fly rate. (20 gals. X $3.85/gal. = $77).

luvthemouse71
03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Again, I'm a big believer in helping out your family and friends. In my family, it would be a given that someone would step up and take you to the airport if needed and without expecting anything in return. So sorry that you don't have this in your life.:confused3

Also, I was raised to believe that when you tell someone you're going to do something for them, it's kind of shady to back out, barring something drastic happening. Apparently, not everyone has this in their values.:rolleyes:

Family Fun Mom
03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Gee, all of you, harsh much?

If family and friends cannot be counted on for something as simple as a ride to the airport then the world is in a sorry state. OP, I hope you find an alternative that works for you and have a great vacation!

Anewman
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I have rented minivans just to get us to the airport.

We pick it up at LAX the day b4, then drop it off take rental car shuttle to gate and get on our plane.
When we arrive, we take rental car shuttle and pick up another... then drop it off that night or next day.

Cheaper than having a shuttle pick us up at home, but it is work and gas. I just hate having others go out of their way when I choose to take a vacation.

Anewman
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Again, I'm a big believer in helping out your family and friends. In my family,

Yes whenever possible it is a very nice thing, but to EXPECT it is another thing. And if I was going to get a ride from a friend I would be considerate and plan our flights accordingly. Last thing I would do is have our friend or family have to wake up at 4 am when they are doing me a favor.

spacemountainmom
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I might remind FIL that he was living rent free in my home. If FIL was actually paying rent, the budget wouldn't be so tight.

Hope it works out for you!!!

kiddo76
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM

I'm sorry, but I think you're being too hard on your FIL. Giving you plenty of notice to find alternative arangements is not inconsiderate. Expecting somone to drive 4 hours so you can go on vacation and save a few bucks is inconsiderate. Honestly, if you don't have wiggle room for an extra $100 in your budget, I wouldn't be going on the trip to begin with. However, since you're going anyway, I would scale everything back to the bare minimum (to save even more than $100)...counter service only, no table service meals, skip soft drinks and drink water only, drop hoppers if you have them, whatever you can think of. Unless you were planning on staying in a offsite motel and eating PB&Js for the week, I'm sure you can find a way to find an extra $100.

You're FIL living rent free is a separate issue from him being unable/not wanting to bring you to the airport, unless driving your family around is part of your agreement to him living there. If you feel he should be contributing something (money, helping around the house), that is a conversation you need to first have with your DH and then your FIL.

TheNextBelle
03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
To the OP....if I lived closer to you...I would take ya! But we live just across the river from St. Louis MO. I wouldn't leave our vehicle at the airport either....My mom and her neighbor drive us in our vehicle and pick up back up in our vehicle...it works out soooo much better this way.

Totally know how you feel...it's always nice when someone drives you and takes your vehicle back home.

And when someone does tell you their are gonna do something.....they should stick to that!

It will work out......just be positive!

kaytieeldr
03-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Nor is $75 for Park ride n fly.Understood. But several posters have given great suggestions for getting big discounts on Park & Fly options. Well worth investigating.

yah cause it was an option. Things NEVER come up... I guess I should of predicted my son having a blocked bowel, and 2 weeks later my 11 month old daughter stop breathing in her sleep and needing observation in the hospital.Of course you shouldn't have predicted those, and it's great that they're okay now and able to travel. But your father-in-law DID give you a great deal of notice, i.e. time to make alternate arrangements - and there've been some wonderful suggestions for those, too.

There's an expression from when I was probably your age - if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem :teeth: Much cheaper than a park/stay/fly hotel would be a trusted friend to drive you in your minivan, perhaps for a small "inconvenience" fee. After all, few people really want to get up at 3 AM if they're not the ones actually traveling ;).

It could be worse. You could be that friend of the poster above who found herself stranded at an airport two states away when her brother refused to pick her up after she landed - not a month and a half in advance! Be creative, think outside the box. Work WITH some of the ideas here.

LisaTC
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
To the OP....if I lived closer to you...I would take ya! But we live just across the river from St. Louis MO. I wouldn't leave our vehicle at the airport either....My mom and her neighbor drive us in our vehicle and pick up back up in our vehicle...it works out soooo much better this way. Totally know how you feel...it's always nice when someone drives you and takes your vehicle back home. And when someone does tell you their are gonna do something.....they should stick to that! It will work out......just be positive!

Me, too!! Peace to you!

Maybe I'm reading her post differently than others, but I thought she just came here to vent about a disappointment involving her trip. It happens on all these posts...needing to vent. After reading that he promised to take you and he's living in your rental house, gratis, I see your angst/frustration. I wouldn't presume to judge the tightness of somebody else's budget. What's tight for one may not be for others. I hope you find a solution to this new twist in your plans. I don't know if you got FD with your package, but if you did, at least you don't have that worry.

Sometimes, and I don't know if this applies in your case, but there may be folks from your church who could help you with your transportation problem.

I did see on a search this:

http://www.midwayparksaver.com/ for $9.00/day. Not too awful.

Hope you get this worked out.

luvthemouse71
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes whenever possible it is a very nice thing, but to EXPECT it is another thing. And if I was going to get a ride from a friend I would be considerate and plan our flights accordingly. Last thing I would do is have our friend or family have to wake up at 4 am when they are doing me a favor.

The FIL offered, then backed out. So, it's not like the OP just assumed anything. Also, he's living rent free on the OPs dime..giving them a ride is the least he could do.:confused3

HHSTigerFan
03-27-2011, 06:58 PM
OP- Have you looked into taking a River Valley Metro bus to University Park, train downtown and then hop on the blue line or orange line to the airport? sorry, didn't notice where you were flying out of. I did that once, took me about 2 hours to get there instead of an hour, but was by myself and saved me about $130.

Minnie
03-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Emergencies can and do happen even during travel - I really hope you have a backup plan for "some" wiggle room if needed. Otherwise with 6wks until your trip you need to consider options on how to make some.

starry_solo
03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
OP: Have you asked your MIL? Or your parents? Perhaps one of them would be willing to do it.

SaraJayne
03-27-2011, 07:20 PM
The FIL offered, then backed out. So, it's not like the OP just assumed anything. Also, he's living rent free on the OPs dime..giving them a ride is the least he could do.:confused3

They are two seperate issues.

Expecting someone to get up in the middle of the night to drive you two+ hours to the airport is a bit much, non? Feeling entitled to it is even worse.

And once the cost of gas is factored in (since OP said they are using her van and her gas), it will be cheaper for her to drive herself and her family to the airport and park rather than pay for 8+ hours of driving.

OP has plenty of time to come up with an alternative solution.

Anewman
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM

My reply was to a post about "believing in helping out friends and family"

I have given dozens of rides to LAX even if I feel my SISTER could have booked a flight not right in the middle of MORNING LA RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. It would be nice if the person asking for the the FAVOR could show a little consideration as well.

Again, yes it would be very nice to help out friend and family when they need a FAVOR. And yes it would be very nice if this man helped out when the family that is giving him a place to stay needs a FAVOR, but we obviously do not know ALL OF THE DETAILS of this family unit.

labdogs42
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
That stinks. I hate leaving my car at an airport if I don't have to. Maybe you can find a generous friend or neighbor to drive you? If not, I hope you find a nice, safe, cheap place to park!

Hannathy
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
If they are going to either of the Chicago airports early in the morning maybe the FIL doesn't like to drive in horrible rush hour traffic! Chicago traffic can be terrible and maybe getting older her doesn't feel comfortable. Also for an early morning flight out of Chicago you have to allow easily an extra hour cause you never know when you might be in a parking lot on any of the expressways.

I have left my car at both Chicago airports without any problems.

When we plan vacation I always plan on paying for either staying overnight and leaving the car or long term parking and then if someone offres and actually comes thru great if not I have already planned for it.

I'm also in the camp that I would never be able to go away on vacation if I had so little in reserve that having to pay for parking was a deal killer.

Just be very happy he told you 6 weeks away he could have told you 6 hours away!

disykat
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Giving you plenty of notice to find alternative arangements is not inconsiderate. Expecting somone to drive 4 hours so you can go on vacation and save a few bucks is inconsiderate.

I agree. Transportation is part of the cost of a vacation. The 69.95 a week deal you'll probably find to park your van is way more convenient than someone driving back and forth twice IMO. Be happy he gave you plenty of notice and start shopping for a deal!

roliepolieoliefan
03-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Again, I'm a big believer in helping out your family and friends. In my family, it would be a given that someone would step up and take you to the airport if needed and without expecting anything in return. So sorry that you don't have this in your life.:confused3

Also, I was raised to believe that when you tell someone you're going to do something for them, it's kind of shady to back out, barring something drastic happening. Apparently, not everyone has this in their values.:rolleyes:

Wow! :sad2:

Hello! I do have this in my life. I have a mother who lives less than 1/2 hour from me. She is at my house everyday and watches my kids when I work and babysits my dogs when we do vacation. And I do hers. And yes, if I asked her she would take me to the airport. But I think its inconsiderate to get someone out of bed at the break of dawn to drive an hour(our distance from the airport) back and forth and drop us off for our vacation.

Its OUR vacation, not hers.
As the OP thinks it was inconsiderate for her FIL to back out. I feel it was inconsiderate of her to even ask. And I'm also in the camp if $100.00 for parking is going to break her budget , then maybe she needs to reschedule and rethink this trip.

jennyf2
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
WOW....I'm shocked at all the negative comments. My family & friends always offer each other rides to & from the airport, regardless of the time of day. It saves $$$ & its a huge convenience! IMO thats what friends & family are for :confused3 helping each out when able....I am lucky enough to work at the airport & park for free :) I'll be the first to admit--I am cheap & I would hate to spend $100 for parking when it could be used towards something fun while on vacation... JMO.....

Have a GREAT trip OP.....:thumbsup2

DVCBELLE
03-27-2011, 09:44 PM

I didn't jump down your throat and I was trying to point out other options for you to pay for it.

To be honest - if I was in your situation I would cancel the trip until I could go and enjoy myself and my budget wasn't so tight but I do understand that at this point you probably would not get back your money so it makes no sense to cancel.

A quick internet search shows that you can get airport parking for $7-8 a day at either airport.

Its nice that you are letting FIL live for free in your house...but that is seperate from this UNLESS you made this a condition of living there. I have learned you can't do things for others and expect the same in return - its rare that you won't be disappointed.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I think you're being too hard on your FIL. Giving you plenty of notice to find alternative arangements is not inconsiderate. Expecting somone to drive 4 hours so you can go on vacation and save a few bucks is inconsiderate. Honestly, if you don't have wiggle room for an extra $100 in your budget, I wouldn't be going on the trip to begin with. However, since you're going anyway, I would scale everything back to the bare minimum (to save even more than $100)...counter service only, no table service meals, skip soft drinks and drink water only, drop hoppers if you have them, whatever you can think of. Unless you were planning on staying in a offsite motel and eating PB&Js for the week, I'm sure you can find a way to find an extra $100.

Free dining, we only drink water as it is, no park hoppers, we are allergic to gluten and PB, onsite is cheaper for us.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
OP: Have you asked your MIL? Or your parents? Perhaps one of them would be willing to do it.
parents dead, MIL would NOT even consider it. She wont even go to the library a block away from her without FIL.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-27-2011, 09:58 PM
To be honest - if I was in your situation I would cancel the trip until I could go and enjoy myself and my budget wasn't so tight but I do understand that at this point you probably would not get back your money so it makes no sense to cancel.

A quick internet search shows that you can get airport parking for $7-8 a day at either airport.

I didnt mean to be short. I was merely upset with the negativity being thrown out. With ALL I do for others, I cant even rely on anyone for a damn thing. It gets OLD. I was venting cause I was super frustrated.

Also, I cant cancel a trip. It would cost me money. My husband has NO wiggle room with his vacation time due to his company only releasing so many hours for a 60 person team to use. He's got 30 hours on vacation time left, and litterally no where to take it!

Yes I saw parking for 9 at the lowest. Times that by 6, fuel charge, taxes, "transfer fee" and were talking 80 bucks. plus, I dont like the area its in. Asking a family member to help out is NOT unreasonable. I didnt call a distant relative who I see once a year.

DVCBELLE
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I didnt mean to be short. I was merely upset with the negativity being thrown out. With ALL I do for others, I cant even rely on anyone for a damn thing. It gets OLD. I was venting cause I was super frustrated.

Also, I cant cancel a trip. It would cost me money. My husband has NO wiggle room with his vacation time due to his company only releasing so many hours for a 60 person team to use. He's got 30 hours on vacation time left, and litterally no where to take it!

Yes I saw parking for 9 at the lowest. Times that by 6, fuel charge, taxes, "transfer fee" and were talking 80 bucks. plus, I dont like the area its in. Asking a family member to help out is NOT unreasonable. I didnt call a distant relative who I see once a year.
Do you have ANYTHING you could sell on ebay or craigslist?

What about market studies in your area? Or can you offer to babysit for anyone a couple of times in the next few weeks?

Hannathy
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Wait, For $80 you want someone to give up 6 hours of their life, fight Chicago traffic, pay tolls, get up in the middle of the night and Gas is about $4 a gallon!

Sounds very penny wise pound foolish to me!

Exactly how much money do you think you will be saving? possibly $25 bucks? I certainly wouldn't get up in the middle of the night and fight Chicago traffic for $5 an hour (and I'm rounding up a lot)

You have to look at the whole picture and subtract your costs before comparing.

swissfamilyrobinson
03-27-2011, 11:14 PM
OP - I'm with you! I would be frustrated too, and I don't blame you for being irritated. If FIL offered, you thought you had that taken care of and checked it off your list.

I will say, you are mighty kind in giving him a place to live, rent-free, and, I'm guessing, obligation free. It would seem, since he's unemployed, that it wouldn't be too much skin off his nose for him to take y'all to the airport and then pick you up a week later - using your vehicle and gas, no less! I can't imagine what his excuse would be - knowing that in six weeks, he will be unable to take you.

I don't blame you for not wanting to cancel your vacation. And it's okay if there's no wiggle room. Plenty of people budget for vacations, and work like the dickens to not go over budget. And very few of us have unlimited funds. We just hope for the best that we can stay in our monetary guidelines!!!

I hope you go and have a wonderful time. And perhaps you can find some paying renters so you can have a little extra cash! (Just kidding:eek:)

nuke
03-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Midway park ride and fly is in a not so nice area. It's all industrial but the lot is locked and the bus follows you to your parking space. You unload, get on the bus and you're on the way to the airport. The return is the same. The bus takes you right to your car. I don't know what they charge anymore but a few a years ago it was $7 or $8 a day. You can prepay online and save some money too.

pigletto
03-28-2011, 12:04 AM
WOW....I'm shocked at all the negative comments. My family & friends always offer each other rides to & from the airport, regardless of the time of day. It saves $$$ & its a huge convenience! IMO thats what friends & family are for :confused3 helping each out when able....I am lucky enough to work at the airport & park for free :) I'll be the first to admit--I am cheap & I would hate to spend $100 for parking when it could be used towards something fun while on vacation... JMO.....

Have a GREAT trip OP.....:thumbsup2

I am going to completely agree. My Fil actually has gotten up at a ridiculous hour to drive us to a very early flight. He graciously helps us with things like that all the time. He also has no problem asking us for help with the pool or painting or moving something for him and we make every effort to be there for whatever he needs.

We're FAMILY. That's what we do.
If he cancelled on us as in this posters case I may be disappointed, but I would understand.

OP.. make sure to check the parksleepfly.com website. I have seen it mentioned here often and when I looked I saw that there are really good deals to be had.

The Pink Cupcake
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Did he say why he can't do it?

At least he have you ample time to solve your problem:goodvibes

I will say, if I didn't have a few extra dollars to spare, I would be terrified to fly off to Walt Disney World. You guys are brave:thumbsup2

Good luck!

luvthemouse71
03-28-2011, 12:17 AM
They are two seperate issues.

Expecting someone to get up in the middle of the night to drive you two+ hours to the airport is a bit much, non? Feeling entitled to it is even worse.

And once the cost of gas is factored in (since OP said they are using her van and her gas), it will be cheaper for her to drive herself and her family to the airport and park rather than pay for 8+ hours of driving.

OP has plenty of time to come up with an alternative solution.
It most certainly is not a separate issue- if you are an adult living rent free in someone's home, you're a drain financially. If you are unable to give anything money wise, then you should be contributing in another way. I mean, it's not like the FIL works- what else does he have to do? Again, this is excluding something drastic that needs attention.

ExPirateShopGirl
03-28-2011, 01:01 AM
They are indeed separate issues. If one offers another the free use of a home without the expectation of payment THAT is the agreement. Would it be nice if the FIL offered and followed through with a ride to the airport or other favors? Absolutely... but in no way is it the same issue. Perhaps the FIL isn't comfortable sitting a car for so long. Perhaps traffic makes him nervous. It's my guess that this isn't the first time OP's in laws have disappointed her.

It most certainly is not a separate issue- if you are an adult living rent free in someone's home, you're a drain financially. If you are unable to give anything money wise, then you should be contributing in another way. I mean, it's not like the FIL works- what else does he have to do? Again, this is excluding something drastic that needs attention.

cinabug
03-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Did he say why he can't do it?

Yes, the why seems very important in this issue. If you do lots of things for him. most notably letting him live rent free, it seems like he would need a good reason to turn you down.

On the other hand, I was planning to have my Aunt drive us to the airport from her house to save the offsite parking fee and this thread is making me reconsider. We are taking her daughter on the trip with us at our expense, and she would no doubt be happy to do it, but I'm rethinking it considering the time and effort she would put in.

Also, I personally feel safer with my car in a secure lot than parked on a residential street in a city. I went on a trip last year and found a good coupon for park-n-jet just by doing a little online searching.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure this will be a blip on the radar for your overall trip, probably nearly forgotten by the time you leave.

Fyrefly
03-28-2011, 01:16 AM
As a possibility, do you have any trustworthy older teens you know that might be willing to make a quick $50 for 4 hours driving? $12.50 an hour is more than most of them probably make so you might get takers, its about half of what you'd pay for with a lot, and no worries about leaving it somewhere sketchy.

n2mm
03-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Wow, is all I got to say about some of these comments.

OP, do what we do when our adult kids can't provide us with a FREE ride! And yes they do provide us with a FREE ride, and I do expect it and they do offer it and actually fight over who's taking us and who's picking us up. Esp. since I will watch the grandkids for FREE whenever they need me to, and my DH will pick the grandkids up for FREE from daycare when the big kids get stuck in traffic. Funny how family does all of this stuff for FREE. But lets not forget the free DVC accommodations I provide when they want to go to WDW with us. But we do drive our own car and they drive it home, plus they use our car to pick us up, so we are paying for the gas, wear, tear.

OP, what we do when schedules don't work out, one of the adult kids drives my DH to the airport the day prior and he picks up a rental car and drives it home and we drive it back the next morning and take ourselves. It generally will cost less then $30, and sometimes there are great last minute fares. We are National club members, so we always have free days we can use for this method. We are an hour away from the airport. Plus we do have tolls for the Dulles greenway, but it still works out. In November we had to do this because some of the adult kids and grandkids went with us, and we just needed one bigger vechicle to take everyone instead of parking 2 cars at the airport for a week. Much cheaper. I think with my free day it cost me $1.29.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 07:40 AM

I would disagree. I would never expect someone to be my servant or chaufeur because I did something for them. It is the expectation that is wrong. It is a no win situation. The father obviously had something come up and gave a ton of notice.

If the financial drain of the father living in the home is too great, then the family needs to find another answer.

We have had to cancel vacations on many vacations, and sometimes that has caused the loss of money. Sometimes crap happens. Worse, what if something happens down there, and there are no funds available. That to me would be terribly scary.

Everyone "needs" a vacation. That doesn't mean they aren't of benefit, but I always shake my head when I read it. Sometimes you just have to find better more convenient ways to deal with the stress of life.

brymolmom
03-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow - Haven't read all replies...I'm a bit afraid to do so.

I honestly think it is just what you and/or your family is used to. We live close to the airport and my family lives close too, and my family would NEVER consider letting us drive and pay for parking. Nor would WE consider allowing them to do so. DH just got up 2 weeks ago and brought mom and dstepdad to airport at about 5 am. We didn't think twice about it and would have actually been offended if they took a cab or whatever.

I also have frequently offered (and sometimes given) my car to out of town family who are in for a weekend so that they don't have to have the expense of a rental. DH and I work at the same building and it's near to our house - so we don't have much trouble with one vehicle for a few days. It's all the same to me. Why pay when you don't have to?

Now dh's family lives about an hour away but close to that city's airport. To get a deal, sometimes our family has driven to that airport and flown out of there. I think it's so strange that dh's family has never ONCE insisted on driving us. They have helped us - but usually they will offer to pick up the car later in the day and usually it's only when my dh asks them specifically to do it. I don't necessarily think it's rude - I just think it's very strange since it's so out of the norm for my family. I guess my family's just cheap! :rotfl:

So I have come to understand it is just a difference in our upbringings and styles. My family has never paid for parking at our airport nor have we allowed any neighbors or friends to do so (I am looking at my calendar with a note on it in a week and a half to bring a friend and her family to the airport - they're driving to my house and leaving their car here for the week). DH's family, I believe, just considers it part of their vacation budget so it never even occurs to them to offer.

Reading this it is making me think that dh's family likely is thinking that we are very rude even asking for their help. OOPS!

Nayan
03-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I am in the camp that if another $100 is going to kill your budget that much maybe taking vacations isn't for you. Your fil has given you plenty of notice that he's unavailable and now you can use that time to find alternatives. Many PP's have given some great ideas and you now have the time to come up with the money.

nunzia
03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
I might remind FIL that he was living rent free in my home. If FIL was actually paying rent, the budget wouldn't be so tight.

Hope it works out for you!!!
Have to agree with this one..if he doesn't want to drive you as a family member favor, then maybe you can just say the ride is in lieu of rent. If he's unemployed and living rent free I'd think he'd be falling all over himself to feel like he was contributing in some way.

happygirl
03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
I think we gave you more then enough time to make other arrangments, if 100 extra dollars is going to really put a hamper on things, I might wait on the trip to you have more money, You can never tell when things might happen.

Marionnette
03-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow - Haven't read all replies...I'm a bit afraid to do so.

I honestly think it is just what you and/or your family is used to. We live close to the airport and my family lives close too, and my family would NEVER consider letting us drive and pay for parking. Nor would WE consider allowing them to do so. DH just got up 2 weeks ago and brought mom and dstepdad to airport at about 5 am. We didn't think twice about it and would have actually been offended if they took a cab or whatever.

I also have frequently offered (and sometimes given) my car to out of town family who are in for a weekend so that they don't have to have the expense of a rental. DH and I work at the same building and it's near to our house - so we don't have much trouble with one vehicle for a few days. It's all the same to me. Why pay when you don't have to?

Now dh's family lives about an hour away but close to that city's airport. To get a deal, sometimes our family has driven to that airport and flown out of there. I think it's so strange that dh's family has never ONCE insisted on driving us. They have helped us - but usually they will offer to pick up the car later in the day and usually it's only when my dh asks them specifically to do it. I don't necessarily think it's rude - I just think it's very strange since it's so out of the norm for my family. I guess my family's just cheap! :rotfl:

So I have come to understand it is just a difference in our upbringings and styles. My family has never paid for parking at our airport nor have we allowed any neighbors or friends to do so (I am looking at my calendar with a note on it in a week and a half to bring a friend and her family to the airport - they're driving to my house and leaving their car here for the week). DH's family, I believe, just considers it part of their vacation budget so it never even occurs to them to offer.

Reading this it is making me think that dh's family likely is thinking that we are very rude even asking for their help. OOPS!
I think that it's great that you and your family are willing to do these kinds of things for each other. We do what we can whenever we can. It just seems that in this case, the OP's father in law cannot help out on the days that the OP needs him. At least he gave her ample notice to check into her other options.

I can understand her frustration, especially given that she feels that she has done a lot for him. A ride to the airport using her own vehicle sounds like such a little request. I think I would be more hurt than angry. I would also remember it the next time FIL needed a small favor of some sort. I'm a little vindictive like that.

But this should only be a small bump in the rode. The OP needs to pick herself up and look into ways to get around this. There have been some good suggestions (paying a driver, Park-Sleep-Fly, Park & Fly, renting a car at the airport the night before, etc.). Each one of those is going to cost the OP more money. Money that she says isn't in the budget. So, unless she can get someone else who is willing to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to make a 2+ hour drive, she's going to have to come up with the money somehow.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I am amazed so many people think that if you do something nice for someone they owe you. I can't imagine looking at life that way.

Marionnette
03-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I am amazed so many people think that if you do something nice for someone they owe you. I can't imagine looking at life that way.
I don't expect it so much as I would feel hurt when someone that I have gone out of the way for cannot (or will not) do something to help me out. I can't speak for the OP, but I do things out of love for my family and friends. When they don't reciprocate, I get the impression that the feelings are one-sided. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the message it sends: "You and your concerns don't matter enough to me for me to go out of my way to help you out."

bellarella
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM

This seems like it may be at the core of the issue. You can only set rules for yourself, not for other people. I never rely on anyone for anything. Seriously. When I do things for other people, I do it without expectation of getting anything back in return. Unless you agree to exchange favors up front (you can live in my house for free, but you have to do X,Y,Z in return), then I think you need to adjust your expectations. The help you are giving others is obviously not as valuable to them as it is to you.

This is where a lot of people go wrong in their thinking. Whatever you've already spent on the trip is money gone. You can't do anything to get that back. But continuing to go on the trip is going to cost you more money. The opportunity cost is pretty high. If you are that tight that parking is putting you over, it doesn't sound like the timing is right. If your DH's vacation is use it or lose it, then do a "stay-cation." If it isn't, then roll the hours or cash them out.

It seems like you are double counting here. You already said that your FIL was going to drive your vehicle and use your gas. By parking in a lot you are saving 50% of your fuel costs (the minivan will only make one round trip to the airport rather than two). What taxes and transfer fees are you talking about? Most airport lots have flat rates that include all of that.

Lewisc
03-28-2011, 09:03 AM
I suspect the OP is just looking to vent.

How often does your FIL drive your min-van? He might not be comfortable (or even feel safe) driving it for 2 hours at a time he'd normally be sleeping.

Book an early flight. I would have budged the cost to park my mini-van at an airport lot or a car service. A ride would be a bonus.

Volunteering to drive you probably sounded like a good offer until he thought about driving your minivan for 2 hours, before the crack of dawn.

A general observation. People who book flights at distant airports and/or inconvenient flight times need to consider the cost of getting to the airport before they book. Much too easy for something to come up and you'll lose your ride.

mjkacmom
03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

DH has NEVER taken all of his vacation tiem, and it's use it or lose it. He's just too busy at work. And we would never ask a family member to drive us to the airport for an early morning flight (we are 20 minutes from the airport), and always park in long term parking ($12 a day). When my mom flies into Chicago every other month, she takes a cab 45 minutes to my sister's house - she'd never think to ask anyone to take 3+ hours out of their day to come get her, or bring her back to the airport (my dad or DH will usually drive and pick her up at our end, but she always schedules flights at good times, avoiding rush hour).

SaraJayne
03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
OP - I'm with you! I would be frustrated too, and I don't blame you for being irritated. If FIL offered, you thought you had that taken care of and checked it off your list.

I will say, you are mighty kind in giving him a place to live, rent-free, and, I'm guessing, obligation free. It would seem, since he's unemployed, that it wouldn't be too much skin off his nose for him to take y'all to the airport and then pick you up a week later - using your vehicle and gas, no less! I can't imagine what his excuse would be - knowing that in six weeks, he will be unable to take you.

I don't blame you for not wanting to cancel your vacation. And it's okay if there's no wiggle room. Plenty of people budget for vacations, and work like the dickens to not go over budget. And very few of us have unlimited funds. We just hope for the best that we can stay in our monetary guidelines!!!

I hope you go and have a wonderful time. And perhaps you can find some paying renters so you can have a little extra cash! (Just kidding:eek:)

You are right that very few people have an unlimited vacation budget (including us). However, if you don't have even $100 leeway, you shouldn't be going in the first place.

ETA: Parking should always be factored in when budgeting your vacation. Then, if you find someone kind enough to take time out of their busy life to take you to the airport, you still have that extra wiggle room in your budget.

Lewisc
03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
It seems like you are double counting here. You already said that your FIL was going to drive your vehicle and use your gas. By parking in a lot you are saving 50% of your fuel costs (the minivan will only make one round trip to the airport rather than two). What taxes and transfer fees are you talking about? Most airport lots have flat rates that include all of that.

Do a google search for midway parking. Check the places with the lowest rate. The "crooks" add on a daily fuel surcharge and a daily transportation fee. I'm not sure how they can advertise free shuttle to the airport when they're charging you $2/day fuel surcharge and $2/day (transportation tax).

http://www.aboutairportparking.com/midway-park-ride-fly-mdw-airport-parking

tlbwriter
03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm very curious, as others, for the reason FIL gave. I mean, if he just decided he didn't want to, after saying he would, that's awfully rude and thoughtless. And, even though this apparently makes me a very bad person, I would be disappointed that someone who is willing to accept SO much from you isn't willing to give a few hours of his day in order to help you out.

Lewisc
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
As a possibility, do you have any trustworthy older teens you know that might be willing to make a quick $50 for 4 hours driving? $12.50 an hour is more than most of them probably make so you might get takers, its about half of what you'd pay for with a lot, and no worries about leaving it somewhere sketchy.

My original thought. But they'd have to let the teen drive their minivan. $50 + the cost of gas for the extra R/T might not be much cheaper then paying for parking.

It is a difference in style. If someone offered to drive two hours, at the crack of dawn, my response would be to thank them for their generosity but politely decline. The person offering might even expect such a response. A relative living with you maybe not. Maybe they want to see me off or the request may not be that reasonable.

Not saying you're 100% wrong but based on the posts in this thread it's evident that your expectations aren't the norm.

kiddo76
03-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Free dining, we only drink water as it is, no park hoppers, we are allergic to gluten and PB, onsite is cheaper for us.

If you have the regular dining plan, you could downgrade to quick service, saving you money on the plan and tips.

This is where a lot of people go wrong in their thinking. Whatever you've already spent on the trip is money gone. You can't do anything to get that back. But continuing to go on the trip is going to cost you more money. The opportunity cost is pretty high. If you are that tight that parking is putting you over, it doesn't sound like the timing is right. If your DH's vacation is use it or lose it, then do a "stay-cation." If it isn't, then roll the hours or cash them out.

I agree. If you can't cut the cost of your trip down and you can't afford to pay for parking, you can't afford to go on the trip. Personally, under those conditions, I would cancel the trip.

Now, sometimes when we fly we fly out of an airport that is 20 minutes from my parents, 2.5 hours from where we live. We stay at one of their houses the night before and ALWAYS plan on paying for parking. Most of the time someone offers to bring us to the airport, but if it is an early or late flight, we will decline. Even when we have a ride planned, I still make reservations at the offsite Park-n-Ride and factor that cost into our plans. You never know what might come up and having a back up plan is always a good idea.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
My original thought. But they'd have to let the teen drive their minivan. $50 + the cost of gas for the extra R/T might not be much cheaper then paying for parking.

It is a difference in style. If someone offered to drive two hours, at the crack of dawn, my response would be to thank them for their generosity but politely decline. The person offering might even expect such a response. A relative living with you maybe not. Maybe they want to see me off or the request may not be that reasonable.

Not saying you're 100% wrong but based on the posts in this thread it's evident that your expectations aren't the norm.

I live a couple of hours away from the airport. I wouldn't ask or ever assume that anyone would take me to the airport mid day let alone in the middle of the night.

NYCDiane
03-28-2011, 09:45 AM

If your budget is that "TIGHT TIGHT" wiht "NO wiggle room" maybe you should reconsider your vacation plans until you have some wiggle room.

I could never enjoy a vacation if my budget was so tight that I couldn't afford an extra $50 - $100 to get to the airport. What if an emergency comes up while you're on the vacation and you need $$$????????

And, no, I don't think what your FIL did was inconsiderate ---- it would have been inconsiderate had he waited until 3 days before to tell you, but giving you a full 6 weeks notice??? Not the least bit inconsiderate.

spacemountainmom
03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

No, I don't think everyone I do something for owes me. In my life family, friends and neighbors help each other out. We don't keep track of every little thing, but understand things generally even out in the end and if they don't...so what.

I think the OP is doing something way more than just nice for her IL's. I don't know about where she lives, but where I live a house is going to rent for @ $1,000 at the bare minimum. Her budget would be a whole lot less stressed if she was bringing in that money each month. Her family is making a pretty big sacrifice for the IL's and they can't be bothered to help her out.

I just can't see why people think she is so out of line and I would love to hear what FIL's excuse is.

Hannathy
03-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm still wondering also how old the FIL is? He may have initially agreed and then thought about it and if he is older may have realized he can't do Chicago traffic anymore, especially if it is Midway that is in town and even O Hare is all expressway to get there. If they live an hour away he may not be used to major city traffic and if they have a morning flight would put him right in the middle of it. Chicago can be daunting.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
lol, I can't imagine that kind of traffic. It is so not my happy place.

I feel bad for the fil, being "vented" about on a msg. board. We help my mom out a lot. She raised me, I owe her everything. She owes me nothing ever.

dis-happy
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm still wondering also how old the FIL is? He may have initially agreed and then thought about it and if he is older may have realized he can't do Chicago traffic anymore, especially if it is Midway that is in town and even O Hare is all expressway to get there. If they live an hour away he may not be used to major city traffic and if they have a morning flight would put him right in the middle of it. Chicago can be daunting.

This. My mom is a great traveler but even she is skittish about driving unfamiliar roads in the dark.

tlbwriter
03-28-2011, 10:33 AM
We help my mom out a lot. She raised me, I owe her everything. She owes me nothing ever.

Maybe that's the difference. I don't believe that raising your child creates any kind of obligation. I chose to have a child, so I owe her a good raising. But she didn't choose to have a parent, so she owes me nothing. Raising your kids isn't (to me) something that you get credit or "brownie points" for - it's what you're *supposed* to do.

dis-happy
03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Maybe I live in Shangri-La (and I probably do since our airport parking is only $3.50 per day) but I have to ask:

Why do so many people have a problem leaving their car at the airport?

We leave our cars (and nice ones at that) at the airport all the time without a problem. Is there a giant theft ring lurking in the public airports at other major citites? People skulking around and keying cars at random? What's the big deal?

We live in what has to be the worst airport for security these days, yet I know that all cars coming in are photographed (and the plates time/date stamped) and the same car is matched with the toll booth ticket when it leaves. As long as you take your ticket with you no one is leaving with your car. Never had a problem with parking at San Diego, Reagan/National, Dulles, or Sea-Tak either.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe that's the difference. I don't believe that raising your child creates any kind of obligation. I chose to have a child, so I owe her a good raising. But she didn't choose to have a parent, so she owes me nothing. Raising your kids isn't (to me) something that you get credit or "brownie points" for - it's what you're *supposed* to do.

Oh, I don't think I "owe" her for raising me. Nor do my kids owe me for raising them. She is just the example of unconditional love.

tlbwriter
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Oh, I don't think I "owe" her for raising me. Nor do my kids owe me for raising them. She is just the example of unconditional love.

Oh, okay. I guess I was confused by your statement that said "She raised me, I owe her everything."

shortbun
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
You are right that very few people have an unlimited vacation budget (including us). However, if you don't have even $100 leeway, you shouldn't be going in the first place.

ETA: Parking should always be factored in when budgeting your vacation. Then, if you find someone kind enough to take time out of their busy life to take you to the airport, you still have that extra wiggle room in your budget.

The OP has posted that both her kids had unexpected illnesses and indicated that these costs put her in an inflexible place. Airlines tickets are often a total loss if you can't use them as booked-a big loss. Still, it scares me that they are going on vacation with two small, recently sick children with no extra money. Normally, it would be none of my business but she posted all about it so I'm chiming in.

chicagodisneyfan
03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
The OP has posted that both her kids had unexpected illnesses and indicated that these costs put her in an inflexible place. Airlines tickets are often a total loss if you can't use them as booked-a big loss. Still, it scares me that they are going on vacation with two small, recently sick children with no extra money. Normally, it would be none of my business but she posted all about it so I'm chiming in.

If she is flying out of Midway she is most likely on Southwest or Airtran and would be able to use the flight funds for another trip.

However, I would like to clear up one misconception the OP has - Midway area is not dangerous. Not sure where you got that idea? Lots of firefighters, cops, city workers, teachers (all have to live in city limits). I have property in the area and rent to flight attendants. Friendly neighbors.
Is a nice place to live.

WicketsMom
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe I live in Shangri-La (and I probably do since our airport parking is only $3.50 per day) but I have to ask:

We leave our cars (and nice ones at that) at the airport all the time without a problem. Is there a giant theft ring lurking in the public airports at other major citites? People skulking around and keying cars at random? What's the big deal?

We live in what has to be the worst airport for security these days, yet I know that all cars coming in are photographed (and the plates time/date stamped) and the same car is matched with the toll booth ticket when it leaves. As long as you take your ticket with you no one is leaving with your car. Never had a problem with parking at San Diego, Reagan/National, Dulles, or Sea-Tak either.

Wow, I would love for our parking to be that cheap! It runs $12/day when I fly from my city, but we always choose to drive and park our car there anyway. When going with a group, we'll try to ride with someone and split the cost, but it's always nice to have a car there if there is a delay or cancellation. Plus, I don't like inconveniencing someone or having to depend on them either.

We often fly out of Atlanta and just do a Park-N-Fly there. Usually about the same as parking for a week, and much more convenient than having to worry about getting stuck in traffic.

goblue00
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM

We also live about an hour away from Midway and have used Park, Ride, and Fly more than 10 times and have no issues leaving our car there. Here's the website: parkrideflyusa.com

They are offering a 10% discount ride now using the code on their website (even if there is no current code, ENTBK always works for 10% off). With the code it looks like it will cost about $60 for 6 days. Hope that helps!

disneymom3
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
My reply was to a post about "believing in helping out friends and family"

I have given dozens of rides to LAX even if I feel my SISTER could have booked a flight not right in the middle of MORNING LA RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. It would be nice if the person asking for the the FAVOR could show a little consideration as well.

Again, yes it would be very nice to help out friend and family when they need a FAVOR. And yes it would be very nice if this man helped out when the family that is giving him a place to stay needs a FAVOR, but we obviously do not know ALL OF THE DETAILS of this family unit.

Agreed. A few of my sisters used to refuse to pick me up at LAX but since I can't get a decent flight into any other local airport they will now come get me.;)

OP what about signing up for something like Pinecone research, swag bucks or the like and earning a quick bit of extra money that way? Put an ad out about flexible babysitting available,, sell some stuff on ebay. If you homeschool maybe you have some curriculum you are ready to get rid of. Ebay is a good place to sell that!

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, okay. I guess I was confused by your statement that said "She raised me, I owe her everything."

Lol, I was speaking on the intrinsic idea rather than the extrinsic.

kaytieeldr
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

kaytieeldr
03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Search for a job? Maybe he registered for some type of class or training that coincides with the OP's departure?

Iluvthemouse
03-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Hope it works out for you.. I would be a little frustrated with him too.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Search for a job? Maybe he registered for some type of class or training that coincides with the OP's departure?

Also, there are medical appts. When someone is scheduled with a specialist you don't mess with their appt time! Or maybe he needs to take his wife somewhere. Or, maybe the traffic scares him as several have pointed out.

A person is allowed to say they don't want to do something. The op might want to look into some sort of income making endeavor as the poster a few up mentioned. Raise a hundred bucks, or even better two, to give some wiggle room. Really the kids are little. Waiting a couple of years never killed anyone. Or even waiting until homeschool days when the tickets are cheaper and staying off site.

tlbwriter
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM

That's why I wonder what reason he gave for going back on his offer. If he was doing something that would help him get a job, hopefully the OP would be supportive (and probably would, considering that he's living rent-free in her rental house because he's unemployed!)

MissUndastood
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I would totally rethink my vacation plans if such a small amount of money is pushing you over. In the grand scheme of things, an additional $80.00 should not make or brake your trip and I think you sound to stressed. Save some more and go next year. It will still be there.

ellone
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM

It may not even be the traffic. Some older people just don't feel comfortable driving on an expressway. I can't remember the last time my father drove on one. He just isn't comfortable with the speeds.

Mom2Ben02
03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I would imagine that the OP's budget would not be so tight if she was getting paid for her rental property....

This board can be RUTHLESS.

cheshireqt
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
:wave: I have read all the responses, whew. Hope it works out, it sounds like you have 2 possible options. This is just a small bump in the road toward your vacation. After the health problems of your kiddos you must be looking forward to leaving regular life behind for a few days and living in the Disney bubble!

luvthemouse71
03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Search for a job? Maybe he registered for some type of class or training that coincides with the OP's departure?Yes, I thought of that. That would be an extenuating circumstance. But, it's unlikely that a job interview would be that early and it would be mighty coincidental that he'd have one right on that day.

It does amuse me that people are slamming the OP because she is in a bind about a ride to the airport- yet her deadbeat FIL gets a pass. Sorry, but no normal adult should be living rent free even with relatives. It's one thing to need a place to stay for a few days or a week, but long term is not right.

luvthemouse71
03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Have to agree with this one..if he doesn't want to drive you as a family member favor, then maybe you can just say the ride is in lieu of rent. If he's unemployed and living rent free I'd think he'd be falling all over himself to feel like he was contributing in some way.No kidding.. Sounds like they need to sit this guy down and have a talk about maybe him moving out or getting some kind of income, even if that's flipping burgers.

One of my inlaws had a mom that was a gambling addict. I've known other older people that had addictions of some sort. Maybe this is the case with the FIL. If so, some tough love would be in order.

GinnyEmma
03-28-2011, 03:27 PM
That doesn't justify witching about her husband's dad for letting her know a month and a half before her trip that he can't transport. If you can't raise or save $50 in six weeks your budget is too tight.

You people are so willing to call an old guy you don't know a deadbeat when you have no clue about his life. Nor can he stand up for himself. Then you have the gall to call others names. Unbelievable.

nunzia
03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
That doesn't justify witching about her husband's dad for letting her know a month and a half before her trip that he can't transport. If you can't raise or save $50 in six weeks your budget is too tight.

You people are so willing to call an old guy you don't know a deadbeat when you have no clue about his life. Nor can he stand up for himself. Then you have the gall to call others names. Unbelievable.

Not calling him a deadbeat and frankly, I agree with those who say that A) if your budget is that scary you maybe shouldn't be taking a trip, B) there HAS to be some way to make enough extra in six weeks to pay for parking, C) I never ask people for anything that would be cosidered 'trouble ( I came in by train to a city 90 miles away...$26.00 cab ride to the airport and $46.00 shuttle ride from airport to home..I just won't ask someone to go out of their way to come and get me) D) we don't know why FIL bailed and of course it could be a very good reason and six weeks is alot of time to give notice, but even when you don't EXPECT someone to titfortat for a favor, when you do something as huge as provide housing for someone, I can see how someone agreeing and then bailing on a favor would be irritating.
I am always surprised when someone comes on the board to post these kinds of things..really...why vent about a personal issue here?

roliepolieoliefan
03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
And we also only know one side to the story...the OP's side.
I'm sure there is more to this story than is being told, there usually always is. :rolleyes1

The OP hasn't been back in quite a while also.

deedeetoo
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
To a PP: An older person who doesn't work is a deadbeat? I thought it was called being retired. My Grandma lived us rent free for my entire childhood, she was just part of the household. She did give my parents money from her social security check to help with food.

To the OP: I agree if you don't have $100 extra in your budget you should reconsider the trip. What happens when one of your kids get sick at WDW and you have to take a cab to a doctor or a pharmacy? How are you going to pay for that?

usnuzuloose
03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
What would she do if he did not live there? She would have to figure out something else. I dont know the situation with the FIL but maybe he has a very good reason for not being able to do this. As OP never stated a reason why he gave her enough notice. But the way I see it is you should always try and budget for these issues because you dont know what may happen between the time you make your plans and when they arrive.

mdsoccermom
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I'm with you. When I travel for work, I leave my car at the airport. Never do I ask my husband to drive 45 miles each way to take me. I pay the $9 a day and be done with it. When we fly as a family, we drive ourselves and budget for the parking.

The $80 the OP needs is $13 a week. If she cannot come up with an extra $13 a week, then she has no business going.

The Pink Cupcake
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
What was your Plan B if your FIL would have woken that day and had explosive diarrhea? A sudden migraine? A fever with chills and flu symptoms? Excessive vomiting?

What would you have done?
:confused3

disneybound31
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::worship::laughing: Funniest. Ever.

disneybound31
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
OP- I have to say I think I can understand where you are coming from. When you plan a vacation within a budget and DID NOT EXPECT to lay out another $100 or so for airport transportation then it IS a bummer. I'm sure OP could find $100 if she HAS to, but it is still annoying when she thought she had arrangements made.

Also, unless FIL is disabled, mentally unable to handle negotiating the drive/airport (and I am not being sarcastic here) or otherwise incapacitated then he REALLY needs to take them to the airport. If he was able-bodied/of sound mental health I bet he would be working or at least be working 8 hours per day to FIND a job.

If he just doesn't FEEL LIKE IT then tough crap---she probably doesn't FEEL LIKE giving him free rent anymore, but she didn't tell him 6 weeks ago to get out. Actually, OP, maybe 6 weeks notice to find a job/pay rent or find other housing is the way to go. I mean, if you have children with severe health issues I assume you have many bills and could really benefit from increased income from a paying renter.

I would also add that even with recently sick kids, a tight budget, or what have you the OP still is entitled to enjoy a budget WDW vacation just like the rest of us who have less complicated means to the airport.

Not trying to flame on the FIL, but I think OP is due some support. OP- can you tell us HIS reason for not taking you guys to the airport? I think it would help you out...now if he's ill or invalid that might not garner much sympathy...just sayin'...and GOOD LUCK.

I hope you get to have a very wonderful vacation!

The Pink Cupcake
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM

I would also add that even with recently sick kids, a tight budget, or what have you the OP still is entitled to enjoy a budget WDW vacation just like the rest of us who have less complicated means to the airport.

Nobody (NOBODY!) is entitled to a WDW vacation.

disneybound31
03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Nobody (NOBODY!) is entitled to a WDW vacation.

Okay, maybe not ENTITLED, possibly a poor wording choice...I just mean why can't she take her trip without an airport transportation kink when it SEEMS she has many other 'kinks' to worry with.

Maybe I'm giving her too much slack and should jump all down her throat...I just felt like being supportive towards her instead of clobbering her with hatefulness...

spacemountainmom
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Okay, maybe not ENTITLED, possibly a poor wording choice...I just mean why can't she take her trip without an airport transportation kink when it SEEMS she has many other 'kinks' to worry with.

Maybe I'm giving her too much slack and should jump all down her throat...I just felt like being supportive towards her instead of clobbering her with hatefulness...

No kidding. I am absolutely certain that most the of the "Budget Police" have never made a "poor" financial decision in their entire lives.

Like I said before, if the OP was being paid any rent on her property, her budget would not be quite so sqeezed.:rolleyes:

Octoberbabiesrus
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I suspect the OP is just looking to vent.

How often does your FIL drive your min-van? He might not be comfortable (or even feel safe) driving it for 2 hours at a time he'd normally be sleeping.

Volunteering to drive you probably sounded like a good offer until he thought about driving your minivan for 2 hours, before the crack of dawn.
=

He used to drive a minivan and misses it. He loves ours. And as for sleep, he's up by 4am every day. He's a EARLY riser. He's given no reason. if I wasnt footing the ENTIRE bill for taxes and ins. on the house, I wouldnt be hurting. I have the money for parking, but there goes my kids getting something in WDW, and who wants to be that parent that says SORRY, no. Not to mention the SIL owes me 300. So a ride to the airport, is NOT that big a deal.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
We're FAMILY. That's what we do.
If he cancelled on us as in this posters case I may be disappointed, but I would understand.

OP.. make sure to check the parksleepfly.com website. I have seen it mentioned here often and when I looked I saw that there are really good deals to be had.

thanks...looking into it.

ilovefh
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Yikes! I don't know why I was surprised reading this thread...but I was.

I feel bad for those of you who "would" or "could" never rely on family or friends for these types of things.

I didn't realize some people were so selfish and I truly feel bad for them.

When we lived near my parents they used to take us the hour to the airport all the time. Heck, my bridesmaids got us a van to take us to the hotel at the airport for our honeymoon (right after our wedding) and my parents drove down the day our flight came in and dropped my car off for when we got home.

And you know what...we did the same for them all the time. My parents don't like my mom to keep her car at work so typically my dad brings her and picks her up....but so did my sister and I. He could even count on us to pick her up at the last minute if he needed usually.

Geesh, when my dad got really sick and my mom and sister were out of town and DH and I had just left for FL he called sister's boyfriend to take him to the hospital....and gasp...he did.

Or when my dad wanted to buy a curio cabinet that a business was using as a display DH drove our truck the 1/2 hour to the store, helped him load it and transported it....going 20 mph the whole time...to my parents house. And we never once thought about compensation or the fact that we have something better to do.

While I don't know that I'd like to be out of state with so little money that $100 would break me, I don't think it's weird for family to do things like this for each other. And while I would be able to change my plans last minute if my family cancelled, I would think it stunk that they said they could take me and then changed plans, especially if they knew how tight my budget was.

spacemountainmom
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Gotta say, thanks to those who offered support. To those who were negative ninnies.. take a midol or chill pill, seriously, wth?!

I was frustrated. Had he backed out WHEN I booked it, I would of put the money aside THEN.

As for those telling me to stay home over $100. Seriously?! :confused3 Were not talking the cost of a dis-cation.

Its FRUSTRATING to say the least when you plan one way, and it goes the opposite.

FIL "cant" do it cause the BIL wants him to come babysit that morning cause he plans to go to a cubs game and wants to go to his buddies around 10. So were getting shifted when we were offered the help first.

WOW - That is pretty crummy of your FIL and your BIL. I guess you now know that your dh's family can't be counted on and that is sad.

Maybe you should tell FIL to start packing........

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I hope some pixie dust comes your way quickly!:wizard:

disneyfreakk
03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
He used to drive a minivan and misses it. He loves ours. And as for sleep, he's up by 4am every day. He's a EARLY riser. He's given no reason. if I wasnt footing the ENTIRE bill for taxes and ins. on the house, I wouldnt be hurting. I have the money for parking, but there goes my kids getting something in WDW, and who wants to be that parent that says SORRY, no. Not to mention the SIL owes me 300. So a ride to the airport, is NOT that big a deal.

:hug:

FredinFL
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Whoa...passionate group here, aren't ya? lol Definitely makes it interesting reading around here.

October (please, just call me Fred), I completely understand how you feel. It's annoying as heck and worthy of a rant to me. Of course you won't cancel the whole vacation, that would be insane. But is IS a pain and he IS being a jerk. Hope you find a great deal.

Maybe you'll luck out and find a nice, little voodoo doll that looks JUST like BIL. :woohoo:

EllaGrasso
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Ok I got it....

Call BIL and ask HIM to drive you and your family to the airport. Be willing to arrive to airport earlier than expected to flex for the baseball-buddy thing.

FIL picks you up from airport as planned.

TADA! All family helps family and a big group hug happens.

The End.

FredinFL
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
That sounds like a great idea!

kaytieeldr
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't see what the SIL owing you $300 has to do with a ride, parking, or souvenirs. Collect it. Demand it. Set a payback schedule so you HAVE the/some money before your trip!

Speaking of souvenirs - get them now at Walmart. Reasonable quality, great prices. You could have a surprise for each kid each morning, or at naptime, or at night. Or carry something small with you. You'll spend less on everything than on one souvenir each.

Mind if I ask - are you footing the bill for taxes and insurance on the coach house, or is it you and your husband? If the latter, you and he need to have some serious talks (NOT arguments) about his parents' living arrangements. He may feel very differently from you about the entire situation.

LoriABil
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Yikes! I don't know why I was surprised reading this thread...but I was.

I feel bad for those of you who "would" or "could" never rely on family or friends for these types of things.

I didn't realize some people were so selfish and I truly feel bad for them.

When we lived near my parents they used to take us the hour to the airport all the time. Heck, my bridesmaids got us a van to take us to the hotel at the airport for our honeymoon (right after our wedding) and my parents drove down the day our flight came in and dropped my car off for when we got home.

And you know what...we did the same for them all the time. My parents don't like my mom to keep her car at work so typically my dad brings her and picks her up....but so did my sister and I. He could even count on us to pick her up at the last minute if he needed usually.

Geesh, when my dad got really sick and my mom and sister were out of town and DH and I had just left for FL he called sister's boyfriend to take him to the hospital....and gasp...he did.

Or when my dad wanted to buy a curio cabinet that a business was using as a display DH drove our truck the 1/2 hour to the store, helped him load it and transported it....going 20 mph the whole time...to my parents house. And we never once thought about compensation or the fact that we have something better to do.

While I don't know that I'd like to be out of state with so little money that $100 would break me, I don't think it's weird for family to do things like this for each other. And while I would be able to change my plans last minute if my family cancelled, I would think it stunk that they said they could take me and then changed plans, especially if they knew how tight my budget was.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I didn't know how lucky I was to have a great Brother, SIL, FIL, mom and dad, not to mention DH and DS. Of course, DH is an only child, so there's that.

I think it's sad some people don't have family or friends to count on. I don't look at it as an inconvenience if I'd do the same for them! In fact, most people would live to help, they just need the opportunity. That's my optimistic view and I'm sticking to it.

And OP, wishing you lots of luck and pixie dust! Is there a way to park at the airport short term, and have friend or family come pick up the car and take it home? Like BIL could drive your FIL to the airport after the game and he can take the car home for you. Just leave him the parking ticket in the car and give him some cash to pay the fee? Just a thought.

allison443
03-28-2011, 11:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. I guess I didn't know how lucky I was to have a great Brother, SIL, FIL, mom and dad, not to mention DH and DS. Of course, DH is an only child, so there's that.

I think it's sad some people don't have family or friends to count on. I don't look at it as an inconvenience if I'd do the same for them! In fact, most people would live to help, they just need the opportunity. That's my optimistic view and I'm sticking to it.

I have a wonderful, generous family and we gladly help each other when needed, in numerous ways large and small! However, we have never "needed" a ride to the airport. We are perfectly capable of getting ourselves there. It's easier to take a car service/cab, or drive and leave our car there. :confused3 Why would I need someone to drive me and pick me up? :confused3

I think that is what many posters are reacting to, this specific situation of airport transportation. Driving myself to the airport has nothing to do with how nice my family is. It's not something we normally do for each other, however if there was a financial need like in the OP we would.

Now in the OPs case, her father in law agreed to drive, and then backed out to accomodate the brother in law. I can understand why that bothers the OP.

OP I hope you are able to work something out, and have a great trip! :)

Mama Who
03-29-2011, 12:17 AM
would be a trusted friend to drive you in your minivan, perhaps for a small "inconvenience" fee. After all, few people really want to get up at 3 AM if they're not the ones actually traveling ;).

As a note, I personally would do this favor for free in exchange for the use of a minivan for a week. There are possibly friends with no car or small cars who would feel it was well worth it.

ExPirateShopGirl
03-29-2011, 02:35 AM
What she said. We never ask family for rides to/from the airport and they never ask us. If they did we would and I would for them, as well. I wouldn't want my sweet folks to go out of their way.... so I don't dream of asking.

All that said... my car spends more time in the airport parking lot than it does in my own garage. A few of the husbands in my neighborhood fly now and then for business and more than once I have given them rides home if they arrive inthe afternoon/evening when I am typically ready to head home myself.

Now that the OP has clarified a few things it seems as if the FIL favors the BIL and his family... and this is probably not the first clash of sorts between the OP and the FIL.

I have a wonderful, generous family and we gladly help each other when needed, in numerous ways large and small! However, we have never "needed" a ride to the airport. We are perfectly capable of getting ourselves there. It's easier to take a car service/cab, or drive and leave our car there. :confused3 Why would I need someone to drive me and pick me up? :confused3

I think that is what many posters are reacting to, this specific situation of airport transportation. Driving myself to the airport has nothing to do with how nice my family is. It's not something we normally do for each other, however if there was a financial need like in the OP we would.

Now in the OPs case, her father in law agreed to drive, and then backed out to accomodate the brother in law. I can understand why that bothers the OP.

MistressMerryweather
03-29-2011, 02:41 AM
As a note, I personally would do this favor for free in exchange for the use of a minivan for a week. There are possibly friends with no car or small cars who would feel it was well worth it.

::yes:: My mom gladly takes us to the airport at 5:30am in exchange for the car for 10 days. She would do it anyway, though. We do things for each other. We love each other...it's never a big deal. :confused3

allison443
03-29-2011, 03:33 AM

I think it is very nice that you always drive your family, neighbors, and friends to the airport. However, how is it possible that you are always able to accomodate them? Just thinking about recent trips my friends/family have taken, they flew on weekdays, midday, which are times we are at work. Even if not at work, we have to get kids to school, pick up from school, etc. I also wouldn't miss a kid's school event or important game to take a neighbor to the airport, when they could easily make other arrangements. And if one of us is driving a whole family of people to the airport, someone would have to be home with our kids (if they weren't in school).

Has it really worked out every single time that you are available to take your friends/neighbors/family to the airport over the years?

I guess I'm not getting why driving to the airport is such a big deal for people. Is it just the money? (this is the budget board, so I guess that's it!);)

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't see what the SIL owing you $300 has to do with a ride, parking, or souvenirs. Collect it. Demand it. Set a payback schedule so you HAVE the/some money before your trip!

Speaking of souvenirs - get them now at Walmart. Reasonable quality, great prices. You could have a surprise for each kid each morning, or at naptime, or at night. Or carry something small with you. You'll spend less on everything than on one souvenir each.

Mind if I ask - are you footing the bill for taxes and insurance on the coach house, or is it you and your husband? If the latter, you and he need to have some serious talks (NOT arguments) about his parents' living arrangements. He may feel very differently from you about the entire situation.

Agree. If someone owes you, collect. Don't use it as leverage against that person.

As far as the midol or the chill pill, that might have been great advice for you in the beginning.

goblue00
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
FIL "cant" do it cause the BIL wants him to come babysit that morning cause he plans to go to a cubs game and wants to go to his buddies around 10. So were getting shifted when we were offered the help first.

That's ridiculously early, the Cubs don't play until 8:05 PM on the day you're supposed to leave!

mdsoccermom
03-29-2011, 08:24 AM

This.

I don't know how not asking people to take me to the airport translates to not having people to count on. My husband and I have plenty of friends and family we can count on for help if needed. Taking us to the airport to save a few bucks doesn't fall in that category.

Honestly, I would be too embarrassed to ask people to drive me 45 miles to the airport knowing full well I could easily get there myself.

Shelly F - Ohio
03-29-2011, 08:36 AM
OP what airport are you flying out of?

Swan4Me
03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Have you budgeted waters, Tips, snacks etc? Or does the Free Dining pay for this? (I never looked into the free ding-just water a few bottles a day will cost $$ for your trip)

Honestly-maybe he prefers to babysit rather that drives you and doing both is too tiring for him? I am older and would be very hesitant to drive into a big city, myself.

redandblue
03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Well since we live over an hour away from the airport and have to drive through a major city I don't ask for rides to the airport we just pay for parking. I hate depending on someone for a ride. I hate waiting at the terminal praying they are there on time or feeling guilty if my flight was delayed or it took forever to get my luggage.

DH and I found a hotel a few years ago that let you park for free up to 8 days for staying there for the night. It was awesome the hotel was like $90 with 8 days of free parking!!!!

But I can see your frustration OP it sucks to have someone say they are going to help you out and you plan on it then they back out.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 09:29 AM
You know you got so fussy about the comments regarding paying for parking. If you do not have $50 in your life to pay for parking, what will you do if your child gets sick again? If you have to get a taxi to pick up meds? If you need a necessity from the onsite store? You walked away from a trailer loan, and then you plan an expensive vacation?

You only leave the house once every 2 weeks? Does that include your little boy too? That is the kind of thing that gives homeschoolers a bad rep that the rest of us have to deal with. (actually the only issue that really causes irritation to me. Maybe a small chill pill necessary.)

If you can't afford to lend money don't do it. If you can't afford to loan your property, don't do it. Unless of course your husband, his child, feels it necessary. Then your issue is with your husband.

You apparently think that if you do something nice for someone they owe you. Maybe you need to just let people know that they are in your debt for life. Put it in writing, to at least make it fair. So much nicer than the passive aggressive thing.

JENOS
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
It seems like OP is more interested in keeping up with the “JONES”. You shouldn’t be vacationing if you don’t have any money for emergencies or plan B’s (with this qualifies as). What happens if you get back home and you water heater breaks. I saved up for 18 months for our trip in July and have padded it about 25% more than what I calculated it would cost me. So when I get back, my accounts wouldn’t even know that I was on vacation.

I suggest you take out a credit card before you leave and use it for parking and emergences, I would not usually recommend this, but I don’t see another good solution for you.

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 10:07 AM

He doesn't owe you an explanation. :)

What does your SIL owing you money have to do with anything? :confused3

Yes, a ride to the airport in CHICAGO, dealing with horrendous traffic IS a big deal.

Since you're on FD and upgraded, switch back to the free QSDP...that upgrade is costing $13 per adult per day. There is your parking money right there.

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Have you budgeted waters, Tips, snacks etc? Or does the Free Dining pay for this? (I never looked into the free ding-just water a few bottles a day will cost $$ for your trip)

Honestly-maybe he prefers to babysit rather that drives you and doing both is too tiring for him? I am older and would be very hesitant to drive into a big city, myself.

I believe OP said they upgraded to the DDP (which costs extra money per day, as well as tips for waitstaff). It includes one counter service, one sit down dinner and one snack per day.

Lintasare
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
You know you got so fussy about the comments regarding paying for parking. If you do not have $50 in your life to pay for parking, what will you do if your child gets sick again? If you have to get a taxi to pick up meds? If you need a necessity from the onsite store? You walked away from a trailer loan, and then you plan an expensive vacation?

You only leave the house once every 2 weeks? Does that include your little boy too? That is the kind of thing that gives homeschoolers a bad rep that the rest of us have to deal with. (actually the only issue that really causes irritation to me. Maybe a small chill pill necessary.)

If you can't afford to lend money don't do it. If you can't afford to loan your property, don't do it. Unless of course your husband, his child, feels it necessary. Then your issue is with your husband.

You apparently think that if you do something nice for someone they owe you. Maybe you need to just let people know that they are in your debt for life. Put it in writing, to at least make it fair. So much nicer than the passive aggressive thing.

ITA with all you said.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
He doesn't owe you an explanation. :)

What does your SIL owing you money have to do with anything? :confused3

Yes, a ride to the airport in CHICAGO, dealing with horrendous traffic IS a big deal.

Since you're on FD and upgraded, switch back to the free QSDP...that upgrade is costing $13 per adult per day. There is your parking money right there.

Are you including the cost of tips in that?

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Gotta say, thanks to those who offered support. To those who were negative ninnies.. take a midol or chill pill, seriously, wth?!

I was frustrated. Had he backed out WHEN I booked it, I would of put the money aside THEN.

As for those telling me to stay home over $100. Seriously?! :confused3 Were not talking the cost of a dis-cation.

Its FRUSTRATING to say the least when you plan one way, and it goes the opposite.

I'm quite "chill", thanks. :) I'm looking forward to our upcoming Disney vacation, knowing that I have the money I need should an emergency arise or my daughter asks for that extra souvenir.

It's called planning and saving, including a nice cushion.

Taking a vacation when you have no back up plan or emergency money is irresponsible, regardless of what the disboards try to tell you.

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Are you including the cost of tips in that?

No, tips are above and beyond the $13 a day per adult.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
No, tips are above and beyond the $13 a day per adult.

At $20 a meal for tips that adds up really fast, also.

calypso*a*go-go
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Good grief...OP is upset that FIL said he would drive them, then backed out in order to help another sibling. I'd be upset as well, and believe it's justifyable if he's living in a home I own rent-free.

I still don't know why everyone on here feels the need to disect every aspect of OP's life (next time keep those details to yourself as it's no one's business but your own).

I believe it was a vent more than anything else, and feel OP will find a way to the airport as there's too much at stake not to...

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok. So, you choose to post for your reasons, others do the same. The op wanted attention and got it.

NMAmy
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I guess I'm not getting why driving to the airport is such a big deal for people. Is it just the money? (this is the budget board, so I guess that's it!);)

I don't get it either. Some folks seem to equate a ride to the airport with love.

We live 1.5 hours from the airport. There's a shuttle that goes from our town to the airport. We park here for $2 per day and pay for the shuttle. Everyone in my family just automatically takes the shuttle--my mom, dd, DH and I. I drop my mom and pick her up because she goes away for months at a time.

Reading some of these replies has made it clear to me why DH's niece was a bit offended that I'd arranged for the shuttle to bring her to our town from the airport. It's no big deal in our family but apparently, to some people, it means that you don't love a family member.

Lewisc
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I still don't know why everyone on here feels the need to disect every aspect of OP's life (next time keep those details to yourself as it's no one's business but your own).

I believe it was a vent more than anything else, and feel OP will find a way to the airport as there's too much at stake not to...

JMO

Posters who share aspects of their life, to strangers on an internet discussion board, shouldn't be surprised when said posters dissect the OPs life.

People just looking to vent would be better served leaving the details out and just venting.

Many of us would never even think of asking someone to spend 2 hours, before the crack of dawn, drive us to an airport.

Others expect family members and friends would do this and do likewise when asked.

Looks like most posters in this thread are in the group that wouldn't impose.

allison443
03-29-2011, 11:21 AM
I just thought of this...since SIL owes you $300 could she possibly drive you in "payment" for part of her debt? Unless she might be able to pay you back before your trip, then you could use that money.

calypso*a*go-go
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
JMO

Posters who share aspects of their life, to strangers on an internet discussion board, shouldn't be surprised when said posters dissect the OPs life.

People just looking to vent would be better served leaving the details out and just venting.

Many of us would never even think of asking someone to spend 2 hours, before the crack of dawn, drive us to an airport.

Others expect family members and friends would do this and do likewise when asked.

Looks like most posters in this thread are in the group that wouldn't impose.

I agree completely, but the problem is that the FIL should have said "no" from the beginning instead of allowing OP to continue making plans based on his participation. To me, that's the whole point of this...

shortbun
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I just thought of this...since SIL owes you $300 could she possibly drive you in "payment" for part of her debt? Unless she might be able to pay you back before your trip, then you could use that money.

Yeah, give this woman 5 weeks notice that you need your money or she can get a $50 forgiveness for driving you to and from the airport. Sounds like everyone owes you yet you get no respect. What's up with that? OR - I would have my husband tell his brother to get another babysitter and tell his dad he's driving you to and from the airport.

calypso*a*go-go
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok. So, you choose to post for your reasons, others do the same. The op wanted attention and got it.

Very true, on all counts. :flower3:

(I guess I was just surprised that this thread was still going strong.)

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

It does since she lives with the FIL and MIL. I've been asking for a year. Excuses. Excuses. Thats a whole nother thread....

We are solely footing the bill. I put my money towards it when I can... the RARE job I take (wedding photography) I havent done much in the last 2 years due to bedrest and newborn

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

DDP pays for snacks. We drink water, we arent picky where it comes from as long as the source is clean. We have tips planned.

He prefers cause BIL's wife will not allow FIL and MIL to see the niece otherwise.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
You know you got so fussy about the comments regarding paying for parking. If you do not have $50 in your life to pay for parking, what will you do if your child gets sick again? If you have to get a taxi to pick up meds? If you need a necessity from the onsite store? You walked away from a trailer loan, and then you plan an expensive vacation? trailer loan? huh? I've never owned a trailer. My insurance co. has a pharmacy. They overnight me stuff. ;)

We go to church sunday, Wed he has Awana, and thurs is CO-op classes. We walk. Come summer we do things with our homeschool assoc. He also has summer camp. We school during the week otherwise. Where do we purpose we go? he gets PLENTY of socialization. Home schoolers have a bad rap cause non-homeschoolers pass judgement on something they know nothing of.

my response above in bold

Allison
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM

I think by trailer they meant mobile home.

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM

She's referring to the mobile home (aka trailer) loan you defaulted on.

kiddo76
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM

No one's telling you to stay home over $100. What people are say is that if you have a TIGHT budget and NO wiggle room and an extra $100 puts you in a tizzy, perhaps it would be better to get your finances in order before going on vacation. Basic Budgeting 101.

:eek:

Hannathy
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
No one's telling you to stay home over $100. What people are say is that if you have a TIGHT budget and NO wiggle room and an extra $100 puts you in a tizzy, perhaps it would be better to get your finances in order before going on vacation. Basic Budgeting 101.

Yep if they have already defaulted on one loan and are taking a vacation when an extra $100 is a bigggg deal then yep I think Budgeting 101 is in order!

Lewisc
03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I must be missing something. At least for this thread I don't care how the OPs kids get schooled. I don't care if she lives in a mobile home. I don't even care if she defaulted on the loan.

I must be missing something. The OP said she'd fine a way to pay for parking. I thought the issue being discussed is if it's fair to expect a friend/family member to drive 2 hours, before the crack of dawn. If giving more then a months notice is sufficient if a family member changes his mind and/or decides the drive is too much.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Except, I've never OWNED one. Mobile Home, or trailer or shed in a field! Never lived in one. I own my home and my rental property free and clear. (wanna talk to be about budgetting? I'm 27 and own 2 homes (one worth 450k and the other 150k, plus my cars (2008 Chrysler minivan top of line, and a Ford Taurus) free and clear on my husbands income ALONE. Which btw is C.S.A with a health insurance company.)

I know there was someone here who did that, but it wasnt me! We've been three times to disney since 2008. This will be our 4th. Things are TIGHT when we have to foot the bill completely on what is SUPPOSED to be rental income.

labdogs42
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Is it wrong that now I'm dying to figure out who really owned the mobile home? popcorn:: I miss all the good threads...

kiddo76
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Is it wrong that now I'm dying to figure out who really owned the mobile home? popcorn:: I miss all the good threads...

And why she had a loan out on it?

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
I searched, but only one relevant thread...I know there was a different one with A HUGE many more page than this thread.

13 pages... ridiculous.
If you cant rely on family who can you?

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40308943#post4030894

and it cost close to $6 grand to move a single wide mobile home, and 10k for a double. After we had to default on a mobile home loan cause of unemployment, its still sitting there. Been 6 years.

Royal "we?" post 35.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
I searched, but only one relevant thread...I know there was a different one with A HUGE many more page than this thread.

13 pages... ridiculous.
If you cant rely on family who can you?

Well, you certainly can rely on family to rag on you on the Internet, I guess. My family prefers to talk to one another rather then be so passive aggressive and gossipy.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40308943#post4030894

Royal "we?" post 35.
I should explained that post much more clearly. It wasnt "OURS" it belonged to INLAWS. "we" meant as in family to avoid saying them specifically. I nor husband had no financial ties to that home. Hence, why the inlaws are living in my husband and I's rental property. I didnt think it necessary to get into the nitty gritty details of whose it truly belonged to. As it was no ones real business.

wvjules
03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I've read through this whole thread. OP sounds bitter. That is all I have to add. :thumbsup2

Oh and my DBF's parents always take us to the airport when we travel. I :lovestruc them. :) Not sure that's going to happen for hawaii since the flight is at 6am though.

Oh again..goodie for you that you managed to buy two houses by the age of 27. You'd think with that budgeting ability that an extra $100 for parking wouldn't be an issue. :confused3

fortwildernessishome
03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I must be missing something. At least for this thread I don't care how the OPs kids get schooled. I don't care if she lives in a mobile home. I don't even care if she defaulted on the loan.

I must be missing something. The OP said she'd fine a way to pay for parking. I thought the issue being discussed is if it's fair to expect a friend/family member to drive 2 hours, before the crack of dawn. If giving more then a months notice is sufficient if a family member changes his mind and/or decides the drive is too much.

I was thinking the same thing!!!!! Boy some people really seem bent out of shape over the OP's "vent"!!!!

ilovemk76
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
I should explained that post much more clearly. It wasnt "OURS" it belonged to INLAWS. "we" meant as in family to avoid saying them specifically. I nor husband had no financial ties to that home. Hence, why the inlaws are living in my husband and I's rental property. I didnt think it necessary to get into the nitty gritty details of whose it truly belonged to. As it was no ones real business.

Since they were family why didn't you step in to help them keep the mobile home? That is what families do. That way you could have had all that rental money for yourself? I suspect the rental money would have more than covered the trailer payment.

We only know how old you are. Maybe your DH is 50 and many at 50 own their home, two or even more. Maybe you got a huge inheritance so you really didn't do anything so wonderful or even stock options. Really your brag is not impressing.

If you own two homes free and clear then it should be easy to raise that $100.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Since they were family why didn't you step in to help them keep the mobile home? That is what families do. That way you could have had all that rental money for yourself? I suspect the rental money would have more than covered the trailer payment.

We only know how old you are. Maybe your DH is 50 and many at 50 own their home, two or even more. Maybe you got a huge inheritance so you really didn't do anything so wonderful or even stock options. Really your brag is not impressing.

If you own two homes free and clear then it should be easy to raise that $100.
My husband is 33. I'm very very good at investing. Before we flipped houses.
I wasnt bragging. Jealous much?

We did step in to try and help them. They didnt want it. they didnt take care of it, told no one of the straits the home was in. Finally I told them I was coming over and we were looking at the papers. AC unit broke, no hot water, no stove, the bedroom ceiling was about to cave in due to a leak, floor by toliet falling in from leak, floor in front of furnace caved in, front and back stairs broke down.furnace broke. It would of been a 20k easily in repairs. They owed 5k. Now, 1/2 year later, the owners of that mobile home park were arrested. 6 years later that same park is in shambles! bad. Its where the bad rep comes from. its SCARY.

Any ways, this has nothing to do with O.P.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I've read through this whole thread. OP sounds bitter. That is all I have to add. :thumbsup2

Darn tootin I am. I believe family should help one another. DH has anxiety disorder, he can barely make it to airport with all the thoughts of what if this goes wrong , or that... he is a mess. He shakes, gets sick. Theres no way he can drive, let alone get on a plane. If I drive he claims to be car sick. :confused3 his dad can keep him calm. Thats the reason too he is needed.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm glad that your kids and you get out more than once every couple of weeks. I misunderstood based on this statement.

Eh, as far a bent out of shape, it is just interesting to follow the story. It was an attention getting whine that was nasty to others. The op is going to do what she is going to do. It isn't as though she is going to stop the nasty stuff because I think she should. Too bad.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Lol, if your husband is so good at investing why such fussing over what his family owes you? Or a parking fee. A little hard to be jealous. We can go to Disney and pay parking, lol.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Or maybe he us great at investing and is thrilled to use his talent to bless his family. Minus your resentful attitude.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
So, does your husband know that you are discussing his family's personal business on a msg board? Mine would have a kniption as would I if he started talking about my mom's financial choices.

wtccheermom
03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Lol, if your husband is so good at investing why such fussing over what his family owes you? Or a parking fee. A little hard to be jealous. We can go to Disney and pay parking, lol.

:thumbsup2 I also find it funny that a man with such anixety over going to the airport for fear of what might happen is heading to Disney World with all the what if's that could happen there.:scared1:

2binak
03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
DDP pays for snacks. We drink water, we arent picky where it comes from as long as the source is clean. We have tips planned.

Pack snacks in your luggage & bring them into the parks with you. Bring a couple of reusable water bottles & fill them up at the water fountains in the parks or ask for free glasses of water at any of the QS places. There - no need for the DDP and you can use the tip money you have saved for parking!

I'm very very good at investing.

:confused3

Darn tootin I am. I believe family should help one another. DH has anxiety disorder, he can barely make it to airport with all the thoughts of what if this goes wrong , or that... he is a mess. He shakes, gets sick. Theres no way he can drive, let alone get on a plane. If I drive he claims to be car sick. :confused3 his dad can keep him calm. Thats the reason too he is needed.

Maybe annual trips where you have to travel a long distance & fly shouldn't be a priority for a someone who is so anxious. What does your DH do once he's at the airport or at Disney without his dad there? I can't imagine these trips are enjoyable for your DH if his anxiety is that bad.

We've been three times to disney since 2008. This will be our 4th. Things are TIGHT when we have to foot the bill completely on what is SUPPOSED to be rental income.

Things can't be that TIGHT if you're taking annual trips to WDW. If they truly are, you have some choices to make 1)stop taking the trips 2) draw up a lease & make them pay rent. If they won't agree to that 3) send them packing & rent it to someone who will pay rent or if all else fails 4) sell the house.

Marionnette
03-29-2011, 04:41 PM
OP, is there a reason why your MIL cannot watch your niece while your FIL drives you to the airport? If your flight is extremely early in the morning, then he should be back home before your BIL leaves for the stadium but if not, can't she handle it alone for a little while?

melancholywings
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm finding it kind of hard to have any sympathy over $100 dollars when you say you have two homes and two cars paid off and you're flying out for a Disney vacation. That's like a color blind man wanting sympathy from the blind.

But I do feel bad that you are in this situation with your FIL - not the car ride thing, but his current dependency on you. That is a tough place to be in and it is natural to feel resentment and bitterness over it.

Bethenny
03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
If you own 2 homes outright, then you should have no trouble getting an HELOC on one of them.

wvjules
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
If you own 2 homes outright, then you should have no trouble getting an HELOC on one of them.

For $100....plus interest. lol

Bethenny
03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
It seems they could use an emergency fund as well.

Swan4Me
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I own my home and my rental property free and clear. (wanna talk to be about budgetting? I'm 27 and own 2 homes (one worth 450k and the other 150k, .

so did you pay for the $450k in full-or is it one of your "flipped" houses?

SleepyatDVC
03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
OP, is there a reason why your MIL cannot watch your niece while your FIL drives you to the airport? If your flight is extremely early in the morning, then he should be back home before your BIL leaves for the stadium but if not, can't she handle it alone for a little while?

I'm sure she can but seems like they are not willing to make it work if FIL backed out of the favor already.

OP, I truly understand that you are just venting about the whole thing. I read the ENTIRE thread :eek: and it sounds that it truly isn't just about the money but the entire situation. I'm sorry that you feel let down by family after you thought you could count on them since they already promised to do you this favor.

Sounds to me that you have your financial house in order and DO help family in need. It's not that you would throw them out on the street for not reciprocating "favors." It's just that it truly is HURTFUL when they not only take you for granted but seem to be extra unappreciative of you. :hug:

Sometimes it is (or should be) better to vent to strangers. If it has already been decided that you and your husband aren't going to let his family live on the street, then venting to him about them can cause unnecessary friction between the 2 of you. It would be different if you truly can't afford to "put them up" and HAD to give them tough love. Of course, you may be enabling them - but that is a whole other thread! LOL.

Sounds to me that the financial burden of providing housing for them isn't breaking you but is just causing you to be even MORE frugal than you naturally are.

My parents and my family always take each other to the airport because the frugal side of us just can not FATHOM spending over $100 or parking or car service when it's just a quick drop off or pick up. HOWEVER, the closest airport is usually 15 minutes away and the farthest one we use is about 45 minutes away.

When we are talking about over 60 minutes away or 2 hours round trip (in your case 4 hours round trip) then the cost savings really isn't enough for us to make the drive. In our case, we would never book a flight at an airport so far away. We would pay more per ticket to fly from a closer airport. (Not everyone has a choice of a closer airport.) But if it did require such a long drive, we would just have to account for the parking.

Our time is money and 4 hours of driving (2 round trips) is worth more than $100. Might be different if it was $300 for parking. :rolleyes1 8 hours of driving (2 4hr rd trips) is a lot of driving to save $100 IMHO. However, I also understand that different people put different price value on their time.

OP, I hope you find an affordable alternative to having your FIL drop you off. I hope after a while you can let go of some of the hurt and bitterness in your heart.

Maybe try to look at it from your FIL point of view in this instance that he is not rejecting YOU and your family by backing out on a promise to do a favor for another family member. Maybe he feels that this is a rare opportunity to see his other granddaughter that he never gets to see (you said SIL doesn't let them see her). I think if I were him, I might jump at that chance too and hope that you would understand and be able to find other means if I told you early enough.

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL trip!! :grouphug:

loriandmatt
03-29-2011, 05:34 PM

ya know....after reading this entire thread (yea, i know. i was waiting for a conf call to start. i had some time to kill) i can see why you are bitter.

you keep saying "if you can't count on family, who can you count on?" .....well it seems you live by that credo, but your in laws do not. and from what you just said (in the above quote) about your husband's disorder, perhaps you in some way have some animosity towards him that he can't or won't confront his family about the way they are using you/him. the drive to/from the airport is the least of it, but truly the straw that broke the camel's back.

i am sympathetic to your plight.

i truly hope you:
A.) find some solution to your airport ordeal
B.) can express to your DH how you can't tolerate being a giver to his family anymore when you never recieve the appreciation or reciprocation that should be present in a family.
and very importantly.....
C.) enjoy your vacation. you sound like you need it.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Maybe annual trips where you have to travel a long distance & fly shouldn't be a priority for a someone who is so anxious. What does your DH do once he's at the airport or at Disney without his dad there? I can't imagine these trips are enjoyable for your DH if his anxiety is that bad.

Once we are on the plane, he's shakey about it all... once we are in Orlando, he does fine. The first day's a bit touchy, then he's fine. Only issue? If we cant fly somewhere, we cant go. He cant do long drives. To the north side of chicago is about his limit.

nunzia
03-29-2011, 05:39 PM

This is getting a little crazy..If DH can't get on the plane from anxiety then how is he getting on the plane after FIL drives him and FIL driving is the ONLY way he can get around..really turning odd here.....DH has anxiety disorder but can work so you are SAHM? You have no cash but flipped houses and own 2? Your DH family let a trailer go but live in your second house rent free? Two of your kids have serious issues? but you are taking a WDW trip with no money but can only go if FIL drives but first it was the money to park that was the issue? I'm sorry..but this is really sounding wacky..

Octoberbabiesrus
ya know....after reading this entire thread (yea, i know. I was waiting for a conf call to start. I had some time to kill) i can see why you are bitter.

You keep saying "if you can't count on family, who can you count on?" .....well it seems you live by that credo, but your in laws do not. And from what you just said (in the above quote) about your husband's disorder, perhaps you in some way have some animosity towards him that he can't or won't confront his family about the way they are using you/him. the drive to/from the airport is the least of it, but truly the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am sympathetic to your plight.

I truly hope you:
A.) find some solution to your airport ordeal
b.) can express to your dh how you can't tolerate being a giver to his family anymore when you never recieve the appreciation or reciprocation that should be present in a family.
And very importantly.....
C.) enjoy your vacation. You sound like you need it.

bingo.

jm-mom
You might look into hotel options near the airport. For the cost of leaving your vehicle in an open parking lot at the airport you can often find a hotel airport that will allow you to leave your car there just for one night's stay. If you are leaving early in the am, check into a budget friendly hotel the night before and enjoy your vacation getting an early start. Next morning get on the hotel shuttle to the airport and not have that one hour drive to contend with just before your flight. When you get home, take the hotel shuttle back to the hotel and retrieve your vehicle.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 05:41 PM
This is getting a little crazy..If DH can't get on the plane from anxiety then how is he getting on the plane after FIL drives him and FIL driving is the ONLY way he can get around..really turning odd here.....DH has anxiety disorder but can work so you are SAHM? You have no cash but flipped houses and own 2? Your DH family let a trailer go but live in your second house rent free? Two of your kids have serious issues? but you are taking a WDW trip with no money but can only go if FIL drives but first it was the money to park that was the issue? I'm sorry..but this is really sounding wacky..

perhaps you need to read more of my posts to understand.

nunzia
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
perhaps you need to read more of my posts to understand.

I've read the whole thread...you sound like you must have a very stressful life. I hate to fly as well so I take the train....much cheaper BTW.

GinnyEmma
03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I can't imagine taking a man too tripped out to ride with you to the airport to the busiest place on earth. None of it makes sense. I also dint believe that anyone who thinks it is all about family loyalty gossiping about her husband's family in the net. That isn't family like.

And for someone so on top if her finances to freak over $50 is silly. If you are freaking over the drive your husband has a problem with, I'd drive to the city and park overnight at a hotel. Then maybe he can medicate or whatever he does and still get in a plane the next day.

SaraJayne
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm finding it kind of hard to have any sympathy over $100 dollars when you say you have two homes and two cars paid off and you're flying out for a Disney vacation. That's like a color blind man wanting sympathy from the blind.

But I do feel bad that you are in this situation with your FIL - not the car ride thing, but his current dependency on you. That is a tough place to be in and it is natural to feel resentment and bitterness over it.

Just because she says it doesn't mean it's true. ;)

I've been through the town she lives in. You won't find a half a million dollar house. :rotfl:

You claim you're "good" at investing, but can't come up with an extra $100 for parking? Uh huh. Sure. :laughing:

queenbetsey
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
:crutches:OUCH this is one harsh thread! op, is the problem a ride or that fil chose one son over the other. That stinks. I hope you figure out something. Jump online and check the shuttle services and if you are a AAA member call member services and see if they can lead you to a less expensive solution. I get the feeling you were looking for advise on how to defray the extra cost not to get hammered by folks.
I hope that someone here can get you some good information about the airport transportation. When we went our first time in 07 we returned late and rented a car to drive home in and returned it the next day not so much of a big deal and we did not have to pay near what parking would have cost.
I will see what I can dig up online (hey have you checked groupon?)
I hope folks here will get a bit of pixie dust going for you and come up with solutions (other than getting new inlaws which is just obvious but not do able solution..ok probably not a time to make wise cracks)

carebee21
03-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Just because she says it doesn't mean it's true. ;)

I've been through the town she lives in. You won't find a half a million dollar house. :rotfl:

You claim you're "good" at investing, but can't come up with an extra $100 for parking? Uh huh. Sure. :laughing:

I completely agree. There's so much wrong with her story.... She even admits the only way they pay for their vacation is through tax returns. Most financially stable people can adjust their taxes accordingly and budget the money in a savings account, so I suspect they're getting the EIC credit and using that....

And most financially secure people don't go running around bragging about what they have and what their homes and cars cost and are worth....

DAD21
03-29-2011, 06:02 PM

I have no problem being the parent that says no. What we need are more parents that say no. Kids don't need everything. The trip isn't enough?? Or do you let what other people think run your life.

jm-mom
From the posts made by the op this all sounds like a family matter. She should be venting her frustration to her family and working to solve this family conflict. I can understand her being disappointed they have lost their ride to the airport but she should have spoken her frustration and then let the matter go. Rather she keeps defending her posts or making comments to other's posts that only stir the pot further, she should offline and put her house in order metaphorically speaking. My advice to everyone, stop this thread now and move on. She has to work out her family issues and her ride situation and probably some other family/budgeting issues as well and should do so with those people and not online with a bunch of strangers. Many people have made suggestions as to how to best get to the airport. She has the choice to listen or not but to go 15 plus pages of back and forth posts, many of them unkind on all sides, seems ridiculous.

Swan4Me
ALSO, we dont dine out cause our son has many allergies that make it hard, we cook from scratch. No soy, no dairy, no beef, no egg, no peanuts and almonds..

So you will still cook for your son at WDW-and he wont do the free dining?
Sounds complicated
So is free dining really worth it? Is it free food for everyone in the hotel room?

Wanted to add-if flight is early-like 6am-large airports say get there 2 hours early-so be there at 4 am-leave her house at 3am-so everyone wake up at 2:15!!!-

yeah I sure would not do that-even for somebody i love-I think your FIL is not being unreasonable

roliepolieoliefan
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
This story just keeps getting better and better. I'm just reading for the entertainment factor now! ;)

mdsoccermom
03-29-2011, 06:47 PM

OF COURSE it was your in-laws. That's the most logical explanation. Because you know, when family defaults on a loan, I always like to include myself in that mix. :rolleyes:

FredinFL
03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Holy smokes.

It's all I got.

KayMouse
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM

That's all I can say after reading this thread! :rotfl2:I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about the OP, I'm just going to say that it sounds like your best bet is going to be either to stay at a hotel overnight and leave your car, or rent a car the night before, drive it to the airport (thus returning it there) and when you arrive back home, either have FIL pick you up, or rent a car again to take you home, then bring it back the next day.

Good luck!:wizard:

ilovemk76
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Bourbonnais-Illinois.html

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $181,268 (it was $121,300 in 2000)
Bourbonnais:
$181,268
Illinois:
$202,200

Lower value quartile - upper value quartile: $140,416 - $231,140

Mean price in 2009:
Detached houses: $192,505
Here:
$192,505
State:
$252,233

Townhouses or other attached units: $136,512
Here:
$136,512
State:
$249,884

In 2-unit structures: $205,576
Here:
$205,576
State:
$282,193

In 3-to-4-unit structures: $860,181
Here:
$860,181
State:
$320,044

In 5-or-more-unit structures: $66,207
Here:
$66,207
State:
$280,866

Seems you are far below the state average.

ilovemk76
03-29-2011, 07:53 PM
My husband is 33. I'm very very good at investing. Before we flipped houses.
I wasnt bragging. Jealous much?

We did step in to try and help them. They didnt want it. they didnt take care of it, told no one of the straits the home was in. Finally I told them I was coming over and we were looking at the papers. AC unit broke, no hot water, no stove, the bedroom ceiling was about to cave in due to a leak, floor by toliet falling in from leak, floor in front of furnace caved in, front and back stairs broke down.furnace broke. It would of been a 20k easily in repairs. They owed 5k. Now, 1/2 year later, the owners of that mobile home park were arrested. 6 years later that same park is in shambles! bad. Its where the bad rep comes from. its SCARY.

Any ways, this has nothing to do with O.P.

6 years ago you FIL lost the trailer. Something does not add up.

C.Ann
03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
The OP has posted that both her kids had unexpected illnesses and indicated that these costs put her in an inflexible place. Still, it scares me that they are going on vacation with two small, recently sick children with no extra money. Normally, it would be none of my business but she posted all about it so I'm chiming in.

I tend to agree with the above.. That would literally scare me to death!!!!! I've never, ever taken a trip without a significant amount of money set aside - just in case of an emergency - and for the most part, I travel alone - not with little children..:eek:

Of course there's always the possibility that the OP has a CC or something for a true emergency..
------------------------------------

To the OP: No suggestions - no comments regarding your family, as I don't know who they are or what your family dynamics are.. If you decide to go ahead with the trip though, I hope you can find a way to manage the transportation without too much trouble..

Good luck! :goodvibes

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Never said I lived in Bourbonnais. Its close enough to my location, which is what was asked... And yes there are 450k homes in bourbonnais. Its called Bordeaux Estates. Its on the far said of the town.
http://www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Bourbonnais-Illinois.html

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $181,268 (it was $121,300 in 2000)
Bourbonnais:
$181,268
Illinois:
$202,200

Lower value quartile - upper value quartile: $140,416 - $231,140

Mean price in 2009:
Detached houses: $192,505
Here:
$192,505
State:
$252,233

Townhouses or other attached units: $136,512
Here:
$136,512
State:
$249,884

In 2-unit structures: $205,576
Here:
$205,576
State:
$282,193

In 3-to-4-unit structures: $860,181
Here:
$860,181
State:
$320,044

In 5-or-more-unit structures: $66,207
Here:
$66,207
State:
$280,866

Seems you are far below the state average.

Octoberbabiesrus
03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
lost in may 2004, Owners of trailer park caught embezzling and other illegal activities in Nov 2004.
2011, the park has gone to hell.

Marionnette
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM

lost in may 2004, Owners of trailer park caught embezzling and other illegal activities in Nov 2004.
2011, the park has gone to hell.
So you were able to move your in-laws into one of your flipper homes 6 (almost 7) years ago, back in 2004? When you were how old, 20 or 21? I think that this is what ilovemk76 is trying to point out. To have that kind of success at such a young age is pretty rare.

Tink2Day
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I think OP is just saying how irritated she is that FIL didn't keep his word, probably not the first time is my guess, and felt like BIL took/takes precedence most of the time even though they are the ones who help FIL.

Money is money and when you're counting on not spending something then it can throw a monkey wrench into the works.
More than anything it is the PRINCIPLE of the matter.

Maybe this person isn't like so many who go into debt or use money designated for other things to take a vacation?

One thing I tend to do when reading these threads is go to the person's profile and glance at THEIR previous posts.

Seems like a few on here specialize in telling other people how to live their lives and what they're doing wrong, as if their own lives are picture perfect.
Those holier than thou types, are the ones that end up having something miserable happen to them. It's called Karma.

The person is venting and as a relatively anonymous person who may not have anyone to commiserate with just felt that this was a relatively safe place for it.
I personally have found a lot of nice people but also some very unpleasant ones on here.

Talking about OP bragging? Well aren't those of you who are making comments about the parking fees and so forth thumbing your nose at others?

I think a lot of you must be very young......and/or immature

ExPirateShopGirl
03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
As a 20 year old... raising a baby with a man whose anxiety won't even allow him to drive in traffic. This isn't just a Disboards phenomenon... it practically screams Lifetime movie! ;)

So you were able to move your in-laws into one of your flipper homes 6 (almost 7) years ago, back in 2004? When you were how old, 20 or 21? I think that this is what ilovemk76 is trying to point out. To have that kind of success at such a young age is pretty rare.

fortwildernessishome
03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
I think OP is just saying how irritated she is that FIL didn't keep his word, probably not the first time is my guess, and felt like BIL took/takes precedence most of the time even though they are the ones who help FIL.

Money is money and when you're counting on not spending something then it can throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Maybe this person isn't like so many who go into debt or use money designated for other things to take a vacation?

One thing I tend to do when reading these threads is go to the person's profile and glance at THEIR previous posts.

Seems like a few on here specialize in telling other people how to live their lives and what they're doing wrong, as if their own lives are picture perfect.
Those holier than thou types, are the ones that end up having something miserable happen to them. It's called Karma.

The person is venting and as a relatively anonymous person who may not have anyone to commiserate with just felt that this was a relatively safe place for it.
I personally have found a lot of nice people but also some very unpleasant ones on here.

Talking about OP bragging? Well aren't those of you who are making comments about the parking fees and so forth thumbing your nose at others?

This!!!!!

Swan4Me
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Never said I lived in Bourbonnais. .

Octoberbabiesrus
DIS Veteran

I guess people just assumed from what is under your name:confused3

Tink2Day
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Know what happens when you assume?:)

I live just outside of one city on a farm with no street address, have a Box in a small town, where should I say I live?
That's why I don't say.

roliepolieoliefan
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM

Seriously? :confused3 Have you read this whole thread?

Its like a train wreck, you don't want to keep reading but just have to.

You don't see how the OP keeps changing her story to always make her look like the good guy? As soon as a poster calls her on something, then sure enough something else is written about her FIL, then it changed to her BIL , now its her poor husband. :sad2:

But remember she's not bragging, and we're all jealous. :rolleyes1

tigger51276
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
So what just because the OP and her DH are good at investing money that means it's okay for DH's family to take advantage of them by living rent free and borrowing money and not paying it back? I'm sorry if I had family that did that I'd be pretty peed off also.

Missy1961
03-29-2011, 09:43 PM
This story just keeps getting better and better. I'm just reading for the entertainment factor now! ;)

Me too!

JennCa
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Sorry to hear he has backed out on you. I'm not going into all the drama this thread is getting, but I'm in the camp that once you commit you are commited to something. If something important comes up, then I understand backing out.

For me, it is not just the money issue. Sounds like you have a lot of your plate right now and don't need this.

Jenn

duffy
03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Me too!

Me, too. :surfweb: popcorn::

OP, when you offered your home rent-free to your inlaws, did you explain to them that in exchange for free rent, you would expect them to be at your beck and call?

If they paid rent, would they be off the hook for the trip to the airport?

duffy
03-29-2011, 10:36 PM
...and now the OP has edited her location so it no longer says it's "Bourbonnais, IL".

dis-happy
03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
...and now the OP has edited her location so it no longer says it's "Bourbonnais, IL".

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy.....thought I saw it and then I didn't.

OP: one way or another, I hope y'all get to the airport and have a nice trip.

Marionnette
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
^This!

You can erase posts, edit your profile and deactivate your facebook account but guess what? It's still out there! Just do a random google and then click on "cached" instead of the url link. You can see a "snapshot" of what an internet page looked like on the date listed in the google header. Works for Bing and Yahoo searches too.

Which should serve as a warning that anything you post on the internet is permanent.

Swan4Me
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear he has backed out on you. I'm not going into all the drama this thread is getting, but I'm in the camp that once you commit you are commited to something. If something important comes up, then I understand backing out.

Jenn

I think it entirely possible that FIL agreed to a general "Can you drive us to the airport for our trip"....and then when he really thought about it, didnt really want to drive at 3 or 4am in the dark to a big city on the Interstate

Tink2Day
03-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Rollie(?) I've read it.
But I think she didn't expect to be attacked like this for being upset with her FIL.

I can pretty much guarantee that there have been a LOT of 'stories' on here. I can think of one poster in particular who you all 'LOVED' that I could have called total nonsense on her posts, but I didn't. Why? I'm not in middle school or in the movie 'Mean Girls'.

I just wonder why most of you are going to so much trouble to contradict and try to 'out' her.
It's a pattern for a few of you.

Tinker'n'Fun
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
^This!

You can erase posts, edit your profile and deactivate your facebook account but guess what? It's still out there! Just do a random google and then click on "cached" instead of the url link. You can see a "snapshot" of what an internet page looked like on the date listed in the google header. Works for Bing and Yahoo searches too.

Which should serve as a warning that anything you post on the internet is permanent.

Isn't this the truth. Too bad even if you try to help people, let them know that they are really treading water, then they say, I used fictional information? So hopefully others will listen. Nothing is sacred on the Web!!

Tink2Day
03-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Now I do go back and read previous posts of people ON HERE, once in a while.
But to 'stalk' people to other sites, facebook etc. Doesn't anyone else see that as a wee bit odd? (to say the least)

Mama Who
03-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I think it entirely possible that FIL agreed to a general "Can you drive us to the airport for our trip"....and then when he really thought about it, didnt really want to drive at 3 or 4am in the dark to a big city on the Interstate

Yes. I could easily see agreeing to drive someone to the airport but backing out 6 weeks ahead of time if I sudden found out they expected to be at the airport by 4 am and had failed to mention it. Perhaps he didn't think to get details up front because he assumed nobody would ask for a ride to the airport in the middle of the night for a vacation?

roliepolieoliefan
03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Rollie(?) I've read it.
But I think she didn't expect to be attacked like this for being upset with her FIL.

I can pretty much guarantee that there have been a LOT of 'stories' on here. I can think of one poster in particular who you all 'LOVED' that I could have called total nonsense on her posts, but I didn't. Why? I'm not in middle school or in the movie 'Mean Girls'.

I just wonder why most of you are going to so much trouble to contradict and try to 'out' her.
It's a pattern for a few of you.

Tink thats how it is on here.

I see you haven't been a member for very long. Its not done on every thread, but I think this one has become such nonsense.

The story has changed so many times to suit the OP and always make her be the good guy.

I think most find it hard to believe a good deal of this story is even true. So alot of looking up past threads was done to call her on something. This story has taken so many turns its almost like a soap opera or a country song.

kimgg
03-29-2011, 11:49 PM
I can't believe the moderators aren't doing anything about these kind of personal attacks?
Today 10:24 PM

I totally agree!! The lengths some have gone to here to discredit someone who they don't even know is quite disturbing. I mean, what next, is someone going to drive up to her door and do something to show her how wrong she is in their eyes?

Scary. Word to the wise. :eek: This is getting creepy. I admit I have not read the entire thread but this appears very uncalled for. I would think this thread should have been closed looooooong ago.

Tink2Day
03-29-2011, 11:56 PM
I've been on here as a lurker for a while.

I'm on other boards where I sort of expect this trash talking, call em out garbage. Like sports boards. THIS is a VACATION board, with ancillary subjects.

My question is why do people feel the need to hunt her down? Is it going to impact your life?

I think, and this may be construed as rude, that some of you need to get a life.

Like I said, I read a trip report that I could have called B* on, and most of you were totally enamored with it. It was a good story that made the person look like they had an exciting wonderful life. Did it harm anyone? Not really.

This thing of 'I wouldn't go on vacation if I cut it that close' blah blah, personal attacks and so forth? Juvenile at best. The stalking to facebook, looking up values of homes? You may see that as being normal but I sure don't.

If you want to go that route I guess I could ask how many people are totally honest with their finances etc, especially when they feel they have to defend themselves?

But if it makes you feel better about yourselves then?????