PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a family vacation spot

jessiesue
03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I am getting 4 free roundtrip tickets from Southwest. I got the credit card deal for my DH and me. I will need to buy 1 more because we are a family of 5. We are trying to decide where to go and are just overwhelmed. We want to go somewhere new. We are taking a break from Disney:sad2: Our budget is between 2k - 2.5k. Been to Universal and Dollywood, so they are out.We live in Louisiana. My boys are between 11-15(they are not too adventurist but not museum type) and we are looking at vacationing in Feb 2012. Any suggestions on where to go, what to do there and where to stay? Thanks!

Abbeys_mom
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
How adventerous are you?

This morning I was looking at vacation swaps - completely free! Do you live in an area someone (maybe a snowbird?) might want to stay and swap homes? Like maybe someone in CO so you can go skiing? I have a Facebook friend in an ocean town, we live in a tourist town, I emailed her to see if she would like to swap for a week. There are fee based sites that connect you with other vacationers, for our first swap we are hoping to go with someone we know.

HeatherC
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
San Diego?

A cruise out of Florida?

Amyhoff
03-26-2011, 09:04 PM
What about flying into Las Vegas and then driving to the Grand Canyon? They have hotels in the national park that are super cheap and several hundred feet from the rim and SOOO cool! You don't get a TV, but who needs a TV when you can watch the sunset over the Grand Canyon? You can also stop at the Hoover Dam and take a tour, which is really neat. Hike down into the canyon for a few hours, check out the wildlife and just relax.

ORRRR... you can fly into Seattle and just spend a few days touring the city and do some camping to see the wildlife...

ORRR...

OMG, I can't believe you have four free tickets and no travel dreams!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes I would fly to the West Coast and have some fun, but you should just browse through a travel magazine or two and pick something that looks fun to you!! Good luck!

3boymthr
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I second Vegas and The grand Canyon via the Hoover Dam and you could also go to Four corners and Petrified Forest National Park and Sedona.

Or maybe do Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and book a rafting trip.

Or San Diego

We're going to NC's Outer Banks this summer. Hitting the Beach and Kitty Hawk Memorial and the Aquarium plus all the other activities like mini-golf, etc. I was able to get a soundfront 4 bedroom cottage that sleeps 10 for less than $1,200 including fees. My 15 YO and 10 YO are really excited. There are similar beach locations up and down the coast from MA to FL that can easily be done for less than $2 grand including food; some like Myrtle Beach have even more activities.

Or dare I say it, come to Boston, there's a ton to do here, not just Beaches or Museums and of the many Museums there are many that are less Museum-y than others such as the Larz Andersen Auto Museum in Brookline. You could also hit a game at Fenway.

polkadotminnie
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
San Diego is a great trip! There is so much to do in Southern California but in my opinion is better as a May-August trip.

But if you are set on February... What about going snow skiing in Colorado since you may go in Feb.? We went to Winter Park in Dec. and stayed within the $5K budget and we had to buy 5 airline tickets. This included a condo for five nights, 3 day lift tickets for all(2 free with condo), a private instructor for one day and rental car (Costco discount). Colorado was absolutely beautiful in the winter.

simonsmom
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
sedona!

MissDaisyofTexas
03-27-2011, 12:08 AM
San Diego!

LookinUp
03-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Love the Grand Canyon, and Sedona is just a stone's throw from there. But do consider that GC will be plenty cold in February and not all of the great ranger programs will be running in the off-season.
Boston is a really great city, but I would not plan on a February visit. If you want snow, tho, you could fly to Boston & drive to Vermont. Plenty of family-friendly, reasonable ski resorts like Killington offer good package deals. If you want black-diamond runs that really mean it, then CO is a better bet.
San Diego has lots to offer: zoo, In-n-Out Burger, sunshine, Lego Land, Sea World.
But me, in February? I'd cruise!

Aliceacc
03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
February?? How about a ski vacation? Vail Colorado or Lake Placid NY???

taitai
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I agree with the ski vacation idea. If you live in Louisiana, snow and skiing are probably not an easy option for you on a daily basis (unlike here, in Minnesota, where kids can ski every day after school). Go to Park City or Vail or even Taos.

San Diego will be chilly in February. Not a great choice. There will be snow at the Grand Canyon and possibly in Sedona.

Danibelle
03-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I agree with the ski vacation idea. If you live in Louisiana, snow and skiing are probably not an easy option for you on a daily basis (unlike here, in Minnesota, where kids can ski every day after school). Go to Park City or Vail or even Taos.

San Diego will be chilly in February. Not a great choice. There will be snow at the Grand Canyon and possibly in Sedona.

I don't think you will be happy in northern Arizona in Feb. There is definitely snow and cold weather. Flagstaff has temps. similar to Colorado. If you want cold, then a ski trip might be in order. And I don't think there would be much to do for kids in Sedona (although it is lovely).

I would still go to California. It might be chilly at night but the daytime would be comfortable. There are lots of things to do in Calif. also.

macfinn
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM
:confused3My boys are 7 and 4 and we cruised last year with them on Carnival, they both loved the kids clubs, and you could fly to Miami leave from there, hang out at South Beach.....or fly to Miami and go to the Keys....or the Everglades....What wait....how about Hawaii and stay at Auluani(sp??) the new Disney DVC??????:confused3

lizabu
03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
congrats...I'd want to go to Hawaii

ceecee
03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
:thumbsup2San Diego!

jessiesue
03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I love all the suggestions. With much thought, planning, scrimping and saving there is a possibilty that we can go this summer. I was not planning on going on another vacation this year because we just went on a cruise 2 weeks ago. Because of your suggestions, I am thinking about Cailfornia. If we go there then I HAVE to go to Disneyland then maybe head down to legoland and San Diego. What else should we not miss? Grand Canyon sounds good, too. I am also thinking about New York. :confused3;)

moongirl
03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
How about Washington D.C.? There are tons of things to see and do there. You could spend 3 weeks there and not see everything! You'd also be able to go without a rental car as the public transit system is very good.

kathie859
03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
The boys seem to be at the age of enjoying the Smithsonians..especially the Space exhibits, seeing all the national monuments, visiting the Capitol buildings. Even non-museum types have plenty to see and enjoy. Can you still get White House tours thru your congressman's office? Also Mt. Vernon and Arlington are impressive...and easy to reach.

Another idea is Williamsburg, VA. Makes the history of our country come alive.
(think of it as a painless history lesson for the kids):thumbsup2

DCPrincess
03-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I third Washington D.C. (though I love Williamsburg not sure if your children will like it). Or if your tickets allow a trip to Mexico, I highly recommend some of the all inclusives in the Playa del Carmen area (right outside of Cancun).