PDA

View Full Version : A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

PracPerfPatricia
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Hmmm... Sadly I don't have the German like Marvali...

but let's try...

Bon Anniversaire! Joyeux Anniversaire!

Happy Birthday Magdalene!

party::cake::hug:

glennbo123
11-06-2012, 12:49 PM

tiggrbaby
11-06-2012, 05:29 PM
http://cf.foodista.com/content/fp/qkjranbobqityb6u.jpg

brookelizabeth
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
A day late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you had a great one!!!!

I do believe I agree with you on every count of the Boardwalk. It never was fully attractive to me until I stayed there - I was nervous about it not having a full theme (like AKL), but it truly does and it quickly soared to the top of my list. :thumbsup2

I'm SO happy to see Boardwalk themed merchandise!!!! I didn't realize they had some now! :banana:

Flossbolna
01-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi Everyone!!!

I can't believe how long I have been away!! So sorry for disappearing. But I have the best intentions for finishing this up as the next trip is less than 4 months away and I certainly can't travel to Florida without finishing this first!

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Wow... I'll bet the toy fair is amazinglll I'd love to see the toys made in Germany but I'm sure many of them are very expensive because of the quality of the workmanship... I think it is sad to see toys that are supposed to be German... actually copies made in China...like a cuckoo clock that was made in China... Some German Toymakers came to America. There was a company outside of Philadelphia, the Schoenhut Toy Company that was founded by a German family and made German style toys but with American themes... in the beginning of the 20th century ...like they made a Teddy Roosevelt Safari Set...Actually Pennsylvania was settled by many Germans earlier in the 1700s so they are many older businesses and traditions that come from Germany in the area... sometimes you hear the term Pennsylvania Dutch because the early English speaking settlers translated the word Deutsch as Dutch and thought the settlers were Dutch not German...

That's fascinating about the toy factory. I knew about the German settlers in Pennsylvania. And I always find it fascinating how some of the German tradition was kept while other things weren't.

The confusion about Pennsylvania Dutch is interesting - as I think the English word "Dutch" for anything related to the Netherlands actually comes from the same word as "Deutsch". It's just that somehow my country, which calls itself Deutschland, is called by most of its neighbours by different names, namely those of the old tribes that used to settle there and that were their closest neighbours respectively. There was the tribe of the "Alemanni" which settled in South Western Germany - obviously the French Allemagne is a derivative from that. The Italians still use the Latin name "Germania" - which was most likely brought by the Romans to England as well, hence the English name Germany. In the east e.g. in Poland, the name is "Niemcy" which (as far as I know) kind of translates into "strangers".

I think that a few of the resorts could benefit from a little freshen up... but I am so excited about the location and the pool (hopefully it will be warm enough to enjoy it...Yes there doesn't seem to be much in between feeling about the clown... people like it or are terrified of it...:goodvibes

Oh, I need to catch up on your TR to see what you write about the BC!! Did you see that they announced that they will introduce triple sheeting at the DVC resorts in the near future? I am very excited about this as I think that an upgrade in bedding will do wonders for some of the resorts!

Flossbolna
01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Great more to come!!!!! I did indeed snatch that shirt up on my last trip.:cool1:

The apple story :scared: :scared: Oh My!!!! :lmao:

There I promised more updates and then I wait until the next year to come back... so sorry!!! :blush:

Flossbolna
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Magdalene!

Ich hoffe, Sie haben ein ganz besonderer Tag mein Freund!

party: :bday: :cake: party:

Happy Birthday Magdalene!!! Have a fantastic day! :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: :wave2:

What he said......I think :)

Party: :bday: party:
Hope your day is wonderful!

Hmmm... Sadly I don't have the German like Marvali...

but let's try...

Bon Anniversaire! Joyeux Anniversaire!

party::cake::hug:

http://cf.foodista.com/content/fp/qkjranbobqityb6u.jpg

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!! I read them all on the day and was very happy to see them. But it was a busy day and work and then I went out for a wonderful dinner at an Italian restaurant...

Flossbolna
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
A day late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you had a great one!!!!

I do believe I agree with you on every count of the Boardwalk. It never was fully attractive to me until I stayed there - I was nervous about it not having a full theme (like AKL), but it truly does and it quickly soared to the top of my list. :thumbsup2

I'm SO happy to see Boardwalk themed merchandise!!!! I didn't realize they had some now! :banana:

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It seems that the Boardwalk has the ability to surprise people. To be fair its location is just so wonderful. But my next trip will be back at AKL and I am very happy about that fact! Fells like I am going back to my roots!

Flossbolna
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Thoughts on Dining – Signature restaurants Part 1

We had ADRs for five signature restaurants: Jiko, California Grill, Artist Point, the Hollywood Brown Derby and Flying Fish. Of course, one really ought to include Tchoup Chop in that list, it definitely can compete with these. But since I wrote about it already in the Universal updates, I will leave it out here. But that does not mean that I won't highly recommend it to anyone looking for a wonderful dining experience in Orlando!

We ended up cancelling Artist Point as that day just got too hectic. We still went to the WL for dinner though, just ate at Roaring Forks instead. Somehow this trip was not the best trip for signature dining…

Jiko:

We ate here on our first full day. It was nice to return to our home from last year. It made me a little bit sad that I would not be staying there... Me too

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09245.jpg

We were seated at a table for four which I loved as I think their tables for two are far too close together. We had a wonderful meal and Katharina again got a special menu for her dietary needs. We once again went with our typical routine of each getting an appetizer and then sharing an entrée. This works perfectly for us as it enables us to have different tastes in a meal without overeating.

We had the duck as an entrée which was very nice, but a bit chewy.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09251.jpg

But it was still a very well put together dish. Katharina had a soup as her appetizer and I had the Jiko salad and those were good as well. Here is a picture of my salad, it had peaches and goat cheese in it:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09250.jpg

After dinner Katharina had a tea and I had some very decadent chocolate dessert (at least that’s what the receipt says):

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09252.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09253.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09254.jpg

And I also got a tiny crème brulee for my birthday!

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09255.jpg

I have eaten at Jiko on (nearly) every trip since 2007 now and still like it a lot. For whatever reason it did feel less special to me this time. Maybe that's because we did not stay there? Maybe I have been there too often? I don't know, but I left feeling that I don't have to return there on the next trip. But now it looks like my next trip to WDW will have me staying at AKL again, so who knows…

For me it felt different to my last experience as well, but I cannot really say why. But I think I didn't care very much for where we were sitting, on the balcony (???) with the view of a very large table with a big group and later a large family sitting there. I missed the tranquility from the visit before.

California Grill:

We had a reservation here for 5:30 pm as the plan was to be there while there is still daylight outside. I have tried both the fireworks dining as well as the sunset dining there and just prefer the sunset much more! I love the evening light in the restaurant and think that the view is much more impressive when there is daylight as you see everything, not just the lit up buildings.

Since I had something new on my last visit to the California Grill, I was certain that I really wanted to have the pork again (that is the Grilled Pork Tenderloin - with Goat Cheese Polenta, Roasted Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, and Sage). I just love this dish! We were considering sharing it, but unfortunately the lovely polenta is full of cream, so it was not good for Katharina. So she decided to go with some fish – according to the receipt at least which says snapper on it. Sorry, I don’t remember more about it. I have no recollection at all about the fish...

We shared a salad as an appetizer which was good. It included some blue cheese which we had on the side – so I could add it while Katharina could have a cheese free salad. I had forgotten my camera and this is a bad attempt at taking a picture with my phone:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/IMG_0367.jpg

We also got a glass of a white wine called Conundrum – I have read it being mentioned a lot here on the boards and a friend had told me about this wine being excellent just before the trip. It was really very good!

All in all it was a very pleasant meal! I remember Katharina not being totally in love with this restaurant after our first trip together. But this time we both loved it. I have eaten here five times now and never had a bad meal. The California Grill will have an extensive renovation soon, so I will most likely not to get to eat here on my next trip. I think I will miss it – but I hope that the renovation will be good for the restaurant!

Up next: more signature dining: Brown Derby and Flying Fish

PracPerfPatricia
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey Magdalene,

So glad to seeing you posting...:goodvibes Hope your New Year is a very Happy and Healthy one...

Really glad to see your restaurant reviews...

I did read your review about Tchoup Choup and we're going to go there in July... we're going to be staying at Universal for 2 nights (not sure yet where but I do know I want to eat at Tchoup Choup...

Going to be staying at the Boardwalk while at Disney... probably going to do a lunch at Sanaa after the AK... (I love the AKL too...:cloud9:) so Jiko is out this trip and California Grill is scheduled to be closed for rehab....:confused3

Looking forward to your reviews on Flying Fish and HBD... I want to do a Lunch or Dinner with an Imagineer... and these are the two restaurants that host them... HBD at lunch (the menu may be the same all day I believe) or Dinner at the Flying Fish...

(I have to make ressies on January 17th so if you could do your reviews by then... that would be awesome...:rotfl2: I'm just kidding...:) (Mostly...;)

Captain_Oblivious
01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey, Magdalene's back! :woohoo::cool1:

Always interesting reading your restaurant reviews. It seems like such a different part of the World than I'm used to, just because I am always there with the kids and my tastes are fairly plain anyway. So it's neat to see these fancier restaurants and have you peel back the curtain a bit to see what they're like. And it's always interesting to see how you can different reactions to the same place over the years.

Happy new year!

Flossbolna
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Magdalene,

So glad to seeing you posting...:goodvibes Hope your New Year is a very Happy and Healthy one...

Thank you! I hope I can manage to spend more quality time here on the DIS!

Really glad to see your restaurant reviews...

I did read your review about Tchoup Choup and we're going to go there in July... we're going to be staying at Universal for 2 nights (not sure yet where but I do know I want to eat at Tchoup Choup...

If you read my review about Tchoup I guess you also read my comments about the Royal Pacific Resort: I really thought it had a wonderful atmosphere. Staying there is on my list of things to do on future trips! But wherever you stay I am sure that Tchoup Chop will be a great fit for you and your family!

I am quite certain that I will be eating there during my upcoming trip as we will have a car and the friend I am travelling with loves it to. So we already decided to make a trip there from Disney just for a meal.

Going to be staying at the Boardwalk while at Disney... probably going to do a lunch at Sanaa after the AK... (I love the AKL too...:cloud9:) so Jiko is out this trip and California Grill is scheduled to be closed for rehab....:confused3

Looking forward to your reviews on Flying Fish and HBD... I want to do a Lunch or Dinner with an Imagineer... and these are the two restaurants that host them... HBD at lunch (the menu may be the same all day I believe) or Dinner at the Flying Fish...

(I have to make ressies on January 17th so if you could do your reviews by then... that would be awesome...:rotfl2: I'm just kidding...:) (Mostly...;)

Sounds like great plans you have there! The other reviews are all written and I was planning to post them soon anyway. So I will make sure to post within the next two weeks!

I might end up eating lunch at Sanaa during my upcoming vacation. We don't have many dining plans (Boma, Flying Fish and Be Our Guest) and plan to see what we can get on short notice as we both prefer the resort restaurants anyway and most of them are not a problem to get if you are a little flexible with what time you want to eat at. To be honest, most places I have been at often enough that they aren't must dos for me anymore.

Flossbolna
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Hey, Magdalene's back! :woohoo::cool1:

Always interesting reading your restaurant reviews. It seems like such a different part of the World than I'm used to, just because I am always there with the kids and my tastes are fairly plain anyway. So it's neat to see these fancier restaurants and have you peel back the curtain a bit to see what they're like. And it's always interesting to see how you can different reactions to the same place over the years.

Happy new year!

Happy New Year Mark to you and your family!

I am glad that you enjoy reading about our dining adventures! I agree that one of the things I enjoy about reading other's TRs is if I get to read about experiences that are different from what I would do at Disney. I am always amazed when people write about those elaborate playgrounds (at AK and DHS) - I would never venture there, btu think they are incredibly cool!

And don't let your "plain tastes" discourage you from trying out a Disney signature meal, not everything on their menu is fancy! But then I must admit that the price of a meal for a family of five at a Disney signature restaurant would discourage me from eating there...

lovealldisney
01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey Magadalene!!

Glad to see you posting again. Always love your adventures! Hope you and Katharina had a wonderful holiday. :)

glennbo123
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Good to see your reviews again Magdalene (and Katharina). ;)

In all of my stays at AKL, I still have never made it to Jiko! :faint: I guess because we're always going to Boma. One of these days though. And I've never been to Cali Grill either, but it's on the short list for next time. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more. :goodvibes

podsnel
01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi girls! We had a fantastic meal at Jiko while we were staying there in November. And it REALLY is sooooo great to be able to take that elevator to the restaurant from your villa! :)

I wanted to tell you- a few of my friends hosted German exchange students this past fall. And it went FABULOUSLY well..... Until Sandy hit, and everyone lost power for 10 days and had trees crash through their roofs! Seriously- it was pretty traumatic for some of them, we all felt terrible. Lovely students, btw.

Glad to see you are back writing! Happy New Year!

Flossbolna
01-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Hey Magadalene!!

Glad to see you posting again. Always love your adventures! Hope you and Katharina had a wonderful holiday. :)

Hi Wendy, glad you enjoyed our post!

Good to see your reviews again Magdalene (and Katharina). ;)

In all of my stays at AKL, I still have never made it to Jiko! :faint: I guess because we're always going to Boma. One of these days though. And I've never been to Cali Grill either, but it's on the short list for next time. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more. :goodvibes

Katharina and I decided on that trip to go to Jiko - especially since the prices at Boma had increased so much over the past years. In the end, if you substract the cost of the wine as well as Katharina' tea which would have not been included in Boma either, we paid 72 $ excluding tax for the two of us or 36 $ each. Boma would have been exactly the same price. Of course we could have eaten more food there - but the quality at Jiko was much higher. If you are not on the dining plan and aren't huge eaters, the buffets really are nearly as expensive as dinner at a signature restaurant.

Hi girls! We had a fantastic meal at Jiko while we were staying there in November. And it REALLY is sooooo great to be able to take that elevator to the restaurant from your villa! :)

I wanted to tell you- a few of my friends hosted German exchange students this past fall. And it went FABULOUSLY well..... Until Sandy hit, and everyone lost power for 10 days and had trees crash through their roofs! Seriously- it was pretty traumatic for some of them, we all felt terrible. Lovely students, btw.

Glad to see you are back writing! Happy New Year!

Good to hear that you had a wonderful meal at Jiko! Since I will be staying at AKL again in the spring, I am thinking about eating there again. So far it is not in the plans, but that elevator directly to restaurant thing is kind of luring me back! :lmao:

Wow, I am sure those exchange students now have stories that they can tell for the rest of their lives!! :eek: But I am glad that it all went well in the end and I am sure that this experience created an even stronger bond with their host family!

Happy New Year to you as well!

Flossbolna
01-05-2013, 05:53 AM
So, here are the other two signature restaurant reviews:

Hollywood Brown Derby

We had a lunch ADR there and checked in a little bit early with a slightly grumpy CM. Not a god start if you are made feel like you are disturbing them when you want to dine there… We waited a few minutes and got a table in a booth on the upper level. We rather liked the location as we had a good view of the whole restaurant. However they somehow separated that larger booth table into two and at some point another couple arrived who got the other half of the booth and I thought that they were a bit too close to us.

I really wanted to try the Cobb Salad and ordered it despite it being an appetizer for two. I always thought I would really love it. However, it turned out that I didn’t. First of all there was quite a bit of parsley in it if I remember correctly – and after cilantro, this is my second least favourite herb. So that did take away from the experience. Also, all the ingredients were very cold and while I understand that things need to be refrigerated I just hate ice cold salads. And obviously the portion was far too large… I am glad that I tried it and now I know that I don’t have to ever get it again.

Katharina had a tuna tartar appetizer which we both thought was excellent. However, a lady on a neighbouring table had a lot of trouble with it. It was advertised on the menu with a wasabi sauce. The lady thought that this sauce did not have enough wasabi in it and therefore requested more wasabi. The she thought that the wasabi killed the taste of the tuna and requested soy sauce. In the end I am sure she did not taste anything of the truly fantastic tuna which in our opinion did not need very much as an accompaniment, the hint of wasabi was quite perfect in our opinion. Well people have different tastes obviously.

We also shared the filet as an entrée. It was good, but not spectacular. I also think that we had trouble getting a second plate even though we had said that we wanted to share it.

I think Katharina enjoyed the meal there more than me, which shows that one’s ordering does have a huge influence on how much you enjoy a restaurant. I also felt that because of it being inside a theme park it felt less like a refined experience – there was a certain clash between the servers and the surroundings on one side and the guests (us included) on the other side.

I enjoyed the food very much and the location, but I remember that I was not so happy with our server who seemed care a lot more about other guest when we declined ordering cocktails.

Flying Fish

This is my favourite signature dining restaurant at WDW and I was so much looking forward to this meal as I was finally a “local” for this restaurant as we were staying at the Boardwalk. Also, my mother had given me a nice sum of money to use for a Birthday meal for me and Katharina during the trip and we had decided to use it here. We had an ADR for our last night of the trip and thought we would end on a high note!

But then we were off to a horrible start. We arrived a little bit before our ADR time and were told that they were running behind and it would be about a 30 minutes wait. We were told that the beeper would also work at the Belle Vue Loungs, so we went there. We were thinking about getting a drink, but really weren’t sure how that would work if our beeper went off while we were still waiting for the drinks, could we take them with us etc. Also, there never ever came a server to ask whether we wanted to order a drink whom we could have asked…

Well, somehow time passed and the beeper did not go off. I think at about 40 minutes past our ADR time we ventured back to the Flying Fish. They had a podium outside the doors for check in and we asked there what was going on. They told us that they should have a table very soon, so we just waited around there. After a while the CM (who was very nice!!) said that we should go ahead and wait inside as they were going to call us any minute. We ended up waiting for another 20 minutes. So it was about a full hour after our original ADR time. I think it would not have bothered me as much if there had been a better place to wait, but it felt like we did not belong anywhere and were just sitting around without any purpose… And since it was our last evening it felt even more like we were being cheated out of valuable vacation time.

And then we ended up with a table directly next to the kitchen entrance next to a server station. It really was not a good table at all. However, we had a very nice server (only ever had very good servers at FF!) and he came out with a free glass of champagne for my birthday! That was very nice!

I think we even discussed whether we would ask for a different table, but decided we were too hungry to wait any longer.

I ordered exactly the same food as I had last year: a Caesar salad and the NY strip steak. Both were really fantastic again. Katharina had the same appetizer as last year again, the crab cakes. I think she really loves that dish. She also had a salmon dish which she was very happy with. I did? I mean, I did have a salmon dish? Yes, that's what the receipt says. And then I could not resist and got a dessert: Trio of Concession Sweets - Out on the Boardwalk - Popcorn Mousse and Caramel Corn, Cherry-limeade popsicle, Peanut butter-chocolate-marshmallow moon pie, and pound cake fries. It was very interesting and fun to eat. The popsicle was very sour, but I like that. My favourite was the popcorn mouse – a great contrast to the popsicle!

So in the end we had an excellent meal with wonderful food, but because of the unfortunate start to the meal some of the happy mood we so much had hoped for for this meal was missing.

However, thinking about where I want to eat on my next trip to WDW, I am thinking that FF will be the one where I want to return to the most. Oh, and I already have an ADR for it for the spring!

eandesmom
01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Fun restaurant reviews, I love it.

I felt the same way about the duck at Jiko. I adore duck and was a bit dissapointed in it. It wasn't bad but wasn't exceptional either. It did color my experience and as a result it's not been high on my list to go back to which is sad as it really is a lovely restaurant.

I'm glad you enjoyed Cali Grill so much, someday I will make it there. Conundrum is such a great food wine I think and nice that most of the signatures seem to offer it by the glass. Mary Ellen and I has some similar service issues at Brown Derby, disappointing though I did enjoy my meal very much. An hour wait for your ADR though, that is incredibly frustrating on any night, even more so on your last! I absolutely love FF and really hope to have a date night there next trip, the food was just wonderful and I love the ambiance of the restaurant.

Next time you are at BWV, check out the Inn quiet pool, it is lovely lovely lovely! So much nicer than the villa one, a true hidden gem.

englishrose47
01-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Great Signature Restaurant reviews !!! I too have wanted to try Cobb salad at BD !!Well maybe not so much now !!!I also just found out you cabn get Grapefruit cake at Starring rolls so that takes care of the 2 things I wanted at BD!!!:rotfl2:

Flossbolna
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Great Signature Restaurant reviews !!! I too have wanted to try Cobb salad at BD !!Well maybe not so much now !!!I also just found out you cabn get Grapefruit cake at Starring rolls so that takes care of the 2 things I wanted at BD!!!:rotfl2:

I think it was just me who did not enjoy the cobb salad, others may very well like it. I would have loved to try the grapefruit cake as well, but I was so full after that huge salad. I think I might have to try to get it from Starring Rolls as well... :thumbsup2

englishrose47
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I think it was just me who did not enjoy the cobb salad, others may very well like it. I would have loved to try the grapefruit cake as well, but I was so full after that huge salad. I think I might have to try to get it from Starring Rolls as well... :thumbsup2

Yes I have to try it , too!!!

PracPerfPatricia
01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reviews on BD & FF...:thumbsup2

The wait at FF seems a bit unnecessary... unforeseen things happen but an hour?

But the food experience itself seems quite lovely...:goodvibes

I want to surprise Eric with a lunch or dinner with an Imagineer... Lunches are at the Brown Derby and dinners are at the Flying Fish... I'm leaning towards the Flying Fish...

podsnel
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
When are you visiting in the Spring? I will be there twice- in March and May-

Captain_Oblivious
01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
I never had a desire to go to Flying Fish just because of the word "fish" in the title. Interesting that you instead rave about the steak! :rotfl2:

Flossbolna
01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reviews on BD & FF...:thumbsup2

The wait at FF seems a bit unnecessary... unforeseen things happen but an hour?

But the food experience itself seems quite lovely...:goodvibes

I want to surprise Eric with a lunch or dinner with an Imagineer... Lunches are at the Brown Derby and dinners are at the Flying Fish... I'm leaning towards the Flying Fish...

I think the wait might have had something to do with the fact that there was a huge convention going on at all of the Epcot resorts (they even had added signs for people to find the other hotels etc.)

Well, my recommendation would be to go for the dinner at the Flying Fish for that event. Will it be just for you and Eric or for the whole family? There is entertainment out on the Boardwalk most nights and that would be fun to watch after dinner as well.

When are you visiting in the Spring? I will be there twice- in March and May-

I sent you a PM!

I never had a desire to go to Flying Fish just because of the word "fish" in the title. Interesting that you instead rave about the steak! :rotfl2:

They do have a lot of sefood dishes. But their steak ist just wonderful. I actually read a number of posts about the best steak at WDW where people recommended Flying Fish. That was one of the reasons for me to try it out in the first place as I am not that much of a seafood lover either.

Flossbolna
01-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Let’s have a look at the other table service experiences we had. We only had reservations for Kona Café and 50’s Prime Time Café. But we also had thought that we might want to try Olivia’s for breakfast and some restaurants at the Dolphin, especially Fresh for breakfast and the Fountain – all of them we were told we would not need reservations for. Not having a reservation for an onsite restaurant was quite a strange feeling, but it worked out really great and I would love it if this were possible for most of the restaurants!

50’s Prime Time Café

We had lunch here during the morning we spent with Marv and Jonathan at DHS. Marv had volunteered to go there with us as I had complained at some point that my previous experiences there were rather boring as it seemed that the servers were too hesitant to “play” with the foreigners. So Marv did his best to get into trouble! We did have quite some fun – got an additional family member from a neighbouring table as she was sent away from her family. And Jonathan was so quick in finishing his drink that he got multiple refills – all at once!!

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09272.jpg

At first he did not realize that all of them were for him and we had a really good laugh when he finally figured out that he now had three glasses of coke!

I had the meatloaf and Katharina had the fried chicken:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09274.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09273.jpg

As you can see I substituted the green beans for corn while Katharina substituted the southern greens for green beans. However, Marv got the southern greens (well, he is from the South so I guess it’s in his blood…) and he let us try some. Not at all my kind of vegetable!!! The food was good, but I did not find it great. It was a bit bland and felt very “mass produced”. The highlight of the meal was certainly the company! It was great to sit down and just chat with Marv and Jonathan and thinking back now, I think we should have planned more meals together.

Kona Café

Originally we had thought about eating at Ohana, but then we just figured that it was far too expensive for us – we just felt it would not be a good value for money. However, we really wanted to visit the Polynesian on this trip and Kona is a place I enjoyed in the past and was a strong contender for our last trip already. So Kona got to replace Ohana!

We shared the pot stickers appetiser, which was delicious. I think there was some problem for Katharina with the bread, so she got plain bread rolls. However, I got the lovely warm pineapple bread with the sweet butter. This bread alone is one of the reasons to go and eat at Kona.

I orderd the Pan Asian Noodles - with Yakisoba noodles, wok-seared vegetables and Tofu in ginger-garlic sauce. I thought this dish sounded delicious, but it was actually rather boring. I should have listened to the not so good reviews I had read here on the DIS about this dish. The bread was much better…

Katharina had the Kona Coffee-rubbed Pork Chop - grilled and served with mashed sweet potatoes and seasonal vegetables. I think she was much happier with her ordering than I was with mine. I also remember that she really loved the sweet potatoes and said that they were better than the ones she had at Tchoup Chop the evening before.

Kona got a new menu some time ago and while I don’t like the price increase that came with it, I see some new dishes that sound very good. So I guess Kona is still a place that I like to come back to in the future!

To be continued in Part 2

englishrose47
01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Kona is still on my list !!I have to first do their breakfast for the Big Kahuana!!!!No fear of me ordering your supper meal Magdalena , I spied the word TOFU!!!

eandesmom
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
It's funny, Jeff was just saying that he wants to go to PTC when we have our big family trip, which was a bit of a surprise. I liked it and actually Evan just made the meatloaf from there on New Years Eve (it was quite good!) but it wasn't really on my radar as an option. Bummer that it tasted mass produced, it looks good in the picture that's for sure.

I am now wondering though if maybe Kona should be on the list as well. I was thinking Rose and Crown for dinner on NYE and then just staying in Epcot but if we timed it right we could do 1st MK fireworks at the Poly Beach, eat at Kona, go to Epcot and finish the night there. I really liked Kona although the service was very spotty and the ambiance is a little meh.

Question is, what will work best for my incredibly picky and poor eating nephews?

Hmmnnn.

lovealldisney
01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
I think the meatloaf looks pretty good. Love meatloaf, wish the rest of the family did... :worried: So I never make it at home...

Sorry your Kona dinner selection didn't turn out to be a hit. Katharina's dinner sounded really delishous though... YUM love sweet potatoes! Especially sweet potatoe french fries... Have you ever had them??? They even have sweet potatoe tater tots...YUM... :)

Captain_Oblivious
01-14-2013, 08:48 AM
50's PT and Kona are two of my favorite places on property! They may not be "signature" dining but they fit my tastes to a T.

Sorry the noodles at Kona weren't so hot--I loved the pineapple-glazed steak there. And I wholeheartedly agree on the bread--you could make a whole meal of that!

aadaneboy
01-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Hi M and K--Its Todd.....(DK Todd)

We are once again planning a trip to WDW in March this year. Thought about the 2 of you and wondered when and if you'd be visiting Mickey again....

Hope all is well with you 2!

Godt Nytår!

Todd

Flossbolna
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi M and K--Its Todd.....(DK Todd)

We are once again planning a trip to WDW in March this year. Thought about the 2 of you and wondered when and if you'd be visiting Mickey again....

Hope all is well with you 2!

Godt Nytår!

Todd

Hi Todd! Great to see you!! I will be back at WDW in the spring, but later than you. Without my sister. But I have been thinking about you in connection with the planned trip as I will also go on a Disney cruise. And you were the first person I ever got to know who had been on a cruise! :sail: I still remember how you were telling us about your wonderful cruise vacation when we were "suffering" through the dark Slagelse winter! :goodvibes

Flossbolna
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Kona is still on my list !!I have to first do their breakfast for the Big Kahuana!!!!No fear of me ordering your supper meal Magdalena , I spied the word TOFU!!!

Yes, but tofu can be good. It just wasn't at Kona... :confused3 I am sure you will enjoy breakfast, I loved the Macadamia nut pancakes there!

It's funny, Jeff was just saying that he wants to go to PTC when we have our big family trip, which was a bit of a surprise. I liked it and actually Evan just made the meatloaf from there on New Years Eve (it was quite good!) but it wasn't really on my radar as an option. Bummer that it tasted mass produced, it looks good in the picture that's for sure.

I am now wondering though if maybe Kona should be on the list as well. I was thinking Rose and Crown for dinner on NYE and then just staying in Epcot but if we timed it right we could do 1st MK fireworks at the Poly Beach, eat at Kona, go to Epcot and finish the night there. I really liked Kona although the service was very spotty and the ambiance is a little meh.

Question is, what will work best for my incredibly picky and poor eating nephews?

Hmmnnn.

Well, you still have a little bit of time to decide on those ADRs!!! And I guess you do deserve a break from stressful reservations for a few months after getting your DVC booking.

Personally, I think as nice Kona is it would be too much hassle to me with the commuting here and there to do that. Also, as far as I know they show the big fireworks already on the 30th, so you could watch MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st.

Flossbolna
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I think the meatloaf looks pretty good. Love meatloaf, wish the rest of the family did... :worried: So I never make it at home...

Sorry your Kona dinner selection didn't turn out to be a hit. Katharina's dinner sounded really delishous though... YUM love sweet potatoes! Especially sweet potatoe french fries... Have you ever had them??? They even have sweet potatoe tater tots...YUM... :)

I had sweet potatoes a few times - and trying sweet potato fries is on the list of things to do in the spring! :thumbsup2

We do have meatloaf in Germany as well, it is called Hackbraten. Which kind of means "ground meat roast". And if you put hard boiled eggs inside, it would be called "fake rabbit". Don't ask why!!!

50's PT and Kona are two of my favorite places on property! They may not be "signature" dining but they fit my tastes to a T.

Sorry the noodles at Kona weren't so hot--I loved the pineapple-glazed steak there. And I wholeheartedly agree on the bread--you could make a whole meal of that!

They are both nice enough restaurants, I like Kona a lot, too. For 50's PT I am a little too much of a picky eater though. The thing with my pickiness however is that I don't like a lot of very traditional dishes. I hate braised meat, most cooked vegetables and standard gravy. I love weird sauces, any salad and unusual meats as long as they are roasted, grilled, baked or pan-fried. I had the pineapple glazed steak there once a long time ago and it was really very nice!

Flossbolna
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
The Fountain

This restaurant is in the Dolphin, you can’t miss it if you enter the Dolphin coming from the parks, it is just to the left of the escalator which takes you up to the main lobby. It is a modern take on a traditional soda fountain, so similar to Beaches & Cream. However, it has a much larger menu. We went there for dinner one evening – around 7:30 pm and were seated immediately without a wait. I ordered a caesar’s salad and Katharina had a sandwich if I remember correctly. The food was really good and both our portions were very large, I think we could have split just one entrée between the two of us and it would have been plenty of food. One great thing about this restaurant is that it offers a discount for DVC members of 20%, so it becomes a very reasonable option for a table service meal at WDW.

Fresh

Another restaurant in the Dolphin, this is a bit hidden – kind of behind The Fountain. We had a late breakfast here on our last day. It was a very nice buffet with excellent bacon (the best I ever had on Disney property) and the name of the restaurant comes from the fact than many things are being made to order. You could get pancakes, French toast, omelettes, all kind of eggs just as you wanted them. They also had a selection of smoothies made from different fruits and vegetables which were fun to try. I really enjoyed the meal there and think it is a great option for anyone staying at an Epcot resort area resort! It was an excellent buffet and was a good value, too.

Olivia’s

This was one of the places Katharina came up with that never was on my radar. But once I looked at it, I could see the appeal. It just seems so American – an American friend of mine said that it was nothing more than a glorified coffee shop. But I guess, if you are European, that appeals to you!

We both agreed that we liked the look of the lunch menu better, but breakfast worked much better for us. The plan was to eat breakfast there and then continue to Typhoon Lagoon as that park is not very far from OKW. In theory that worked fine, but this was the one time we had really bad bus karma on this trip and we waited for ages for a bus to TL/DTD.

Back to the breakfast. We arrived without an ADR, but that was no problem at all. The restaurant has a very light feeling and we thought that it had a very friendly vibe. We were seated in a booth along the wall and I got the impression that a number of the people having breakfast there were kind of “regulars” as they appeared to know the wait staff. I guess some might have been DVC owners who have owned there since the beginning so have many years of vacations there already.

I had the pancakes with pecans and bacon – I just love pancakes and we don’t have them here in Germany (our pancakes are different and not a breakfast food). I know how to make them myself, but still, they are something I just love to get for breakfast when I am in the US! Katharina had the eggs benedict which came with a key lime hollandaise. The sauce had a very distinct citrus flavour which I thought was too die for! Lucky for me Katharina was not able to finish her dish and left the rest for me! I think I liked it better than she did…

Overall, I really enjoyed eating here very much! We also checked out OKW another day on our way to DTD and really liked what we saw. I think I would not enjoy staying here if I did not have a car as the bus taking ages for the tour around the resort would drive me crazy if I had to take it every day. But otherwise it looks so relaxing and far away from everything. I am sure that I will stay there one day – but I guess I might be back for a meal at Olivia’s before then!

jedijill
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I really love Oliva's. They have some multigrain bread that is fantastic. Such a good breakfast and I love the laid back feeling.

Jill in CO

englishrose47
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I have to agree the eggs benedict at Olivias are AWESOME!!! I was very pleased with the restaurant !!We took a group there once and the chef was increduble for our special diets. Made special pancakes , customized the potatoes etc !!We were really impressed !!!

lovealldisney
01-31-2013, 07:18 AM
We do have meatloaf in Germany as well, it is called Hackbraten. Which kind of means "ground meat roast". And if you put hard boiled eggs inside, it would be called "fake rabbit". Don't ask why!!!

Some distant memory has me thinking my mom use to put boiled eggs in our meatloaf??? But not all the time....

I had the pancakes with pecans and bacon – I just love pancakes and we don’t have them here in Germany (our pancakes are different and not a breakfast food)

I LOVE pancakes too... I could eat them everyday but then I'd probably gain 50 pounds... I love dipping my bacon or sausage in the maple syrup too... YUM..

Hmmm should I have DD bring you a box of pancake mix when she visits??? All you need to do is add Oil, Eggs, Water.... ;)

Nice reviews Magdalene... Thanks for sharing.. :)

marvali
02-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Katharina! :bday: :cake: party:

Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine ganz besondere und wunderbare Tage mein Freund, gefüllt mit allem, was Sie wollen, um es perfekt! :hug:

englishrose47
02-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine ganz besondere und wunderbare Tage mein Freund, gefüllt mit allem, was Sie wollen, um es perfekt! :hug:

Wow Marv you are bi lingual!! Well at least I think you are:rotfl2:Could be all giberish, but sure looks good although I speak enough to know you are wishing Katarina a Happy Birthday and that it is perfect !!! I second those emotions Katarina :banana::banana:

nodnol
02-04-2013, 02:41 AM

Wow Marv you are bi lingual!! Well at least I think you are:rotfl2:Could be all giberish, but sure looks good although I speak enough to know you are wishing Katarina a Happy Birthday and that it is perfect !!! I second those emotions Katarina :banana::banana:

Thank you very much! I had a wonderful birthday: Magdalene was visiting for the weekend and we had High Tea at one of Berlin's very posh hotels yesterday :)

lovealldisney
02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Happy Birthday Katharina! Hope you had a wonderful day! pixiedust:

brookelizabeth
02-09-2013, 08:13 AM
A bit late (again!), but HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHARINA! I hope you had a wonderful day!

I've been meaning to try some more of the Swolphin restaurants, I just added Fresh and The Fountain to my "WDW List". :thumbsup2

We really enjoyed Olivia's for breakfast as well, that whole resort just has this lovely laid-back feeling.

englishrose47
02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Thank you very much! I had a wonderful birthday: Magdalene was visiting for the weekend and we had High Tea at one of Berlin's very posh hotels yesterday :)

High Tea sounds wonderful:cloud9::banana:

Flossbolna
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I really love Oliva's. They have some multigrain bread that is fantastic. Such a good breakfast and I love the laid back feeling.

Jill in CO

We did not get any bread as we were there for breakfast. I am campaigning for a meal at Olivias for my next trip, but my friend is not so convinced.

I have to agree the eggs benedict at Olivias are AWESOME!!! I was very pleased with the restaurant !!We took a group there once and the chef was increduble for our special diets. Made special pancakes , customized the potatoes etc !!We were really impressed !!!

I think it is a place that has a very homely atmosphere, like the neighbourhood family favourite. That shows in the whole attitude there, I think.

I LOVE pancakes too... I could eat them everyday but then I'd probably gain 50 pounds... I love dipping my bacon or sausage in the maple syrup too... YUM..

Hmmm should I have DD bring you a box of pancake mix when she visits??? All you need to do is add Oil, Eggs, Water.... ;)

Nice reviews Magdalene... Thanks for sharing.. :)

Yes, I better stay away from eating pancakes everyday - even though I guess the breakfasts on the cruise will be fattening anyway, whether they include pancakes or not!

Thanks for the offer of the pancake mix, but I managed to make very nice pancakes with just the basic ingredients in the past. I think one could even buy pancake mix in the "foreign specialties" section at higher end supermarkets. :rotfl2:

But I might contact you about some spices between now and June! :goodvibes

A bit late (again!), but HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHARINA! I hope you had a wonderful day!

I've been meaning to try some more of the Swolphin restaurants, I just added Fresh and The Fountain to my "WDW List". :thumbsup2

We really enjoyed Olivia's for breakfast as well, that whole resort just has this lovely laid-back feeling.

I never thought I would like OKW - but we were there twice on that last trip and both really liked it. It just seems so peaceful! When I was at DLP last spring, we stayed at the Marriott Vacation Village at DLP (it is actually on the grounds where the DLP DVC was supposed to be built, but when DLP was struggling so much, they sold the land off to Marriott) and it has a very similar vibe, but French country instead of Florida island. It was so wonderful there!

And, yes, make sure to try the Swolphin restaurants! I thought they were great and came at a slightly lower price point as the comparable Disney places. And they give you a very nice DVC discount! We were not too impressed with the food options at Picabu though, but we did not try anything, just weren't impressed with the menu, but that might have been just that we wanted something different from what they had at that time.

Flossbolna
02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
High Tea sounds wonderful:cloud9::banana:

It was quite wonderful! I uploaded a few pictures to share.

Here is the the birthday girl perusing the menu - and deciding that we would go for the one that included a glass of fancy sparkling wine:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/magdalenesch/DSC00033.jpg

The tea included tea obviously, we even got free refills and could have chosen a different type of tea. We were served three courses on a three tiered platter thing. The next picture is of our first course - sandwiches, already served on my plate. They advertise this tea as something special as it is being served on Meissen china. This is one of Germany's oldest and most prestigious china manufacturers. I guess one plate was many times what we paid for our tea!!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/magdalenesch/DSC00036.jpg

And then I also took some pictures of the other two courses as they were served. First the scones:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/magdalenesch/DSC00037.jpg

Those were delicious and very buttery (which was quite unusual) and we got a generous portion of clotted cream to go with it! Usually I find that outside of England they tend to be far too economical with it!

And then finally the cake course: Raisin bread, raspberry tarts and white chocolate truffles:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/magdalenesch/DSC00038.jpg

I am quite impressed with the quality of these pictures. I used the food setting on my new camera for these and despite very adverse lighting and not using the flash, the pictures turned out quite ok, only slightly blurry. I guess I need to practice a little bit more before my next trip!

Flossbolna
02-16-2013, 10:09 AM
So that brings us to the end of this TR. All in all it was a wonderful trip with my sister and definitely worthy for a 40th birthday celebration.

The trip was also rather different from my previous trips to WDW. Since I now know that I will be back to make use of my DVC I was less concerned with seeing everything (also since there weren’t really that many new things built by Disney and I knew the old things well enough by now). I also did not have the pressure of making sure that my sister had a really fabulous first trip to WDW.

Meeting people I had gotten to known through the internet certainly added a new layer to the trip. I had done it in the past, but we really got to spend quite some time with Marv and Jonathan as well as our other friends whom we had dinner with at Tchoup Chop. This was different from just a brief meet in the park or at the resort. It was really great and I think Katharina and I made some very good new friends!!

It’s also the first time that I left the “Disney bubble” while staying at WDW. I have had trips that incorporated other parts of Florida, but never any of the other sights in Orlando. I really liked that and I think in the future I will venture out more while I am at WDW.

I am really happy with the choice of my home resort for DVC. I did something which on the DVC board is always something people advise against: I bought sight unseen. I had visited the Boardwalk, but never stayed there, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out well! I truly love the resort and would be happy to stay there on many more trips. But I also want to try so many of the other DVC resorts, so who knows when my next stay at the Boardwalk will be…

I am not so sure whether I like the fall for a WDW trip as much as I tought I would. The many MNSSHPs cause the MK to close early on so many nights that it makes it difficult to schedule evenings there to see the fireworks. I am also not sure I would want to pay for party tickets every time I am there in the fall. I also found the Food & Wine festival much less to my liking than I expected. I mentioned it before that I thought that it cluttered the World Showcase. And I also think that while I enjoy good food, I also enjoy the atmosphere it is presented in. Having difficulty finding a place to eat your tasting from a paper plate with plastic cutlery is not very atmospheric for me.

So, since after the 2010 trip I decided no more trips in winter as it might be too cold and I know that summer is definitely to warm and humid for me – this leaves spring. I really hope that this will be my perfect time for WDW! So this is the plan for this year. Unfortunately, that trip will be without my wonderful sister. But we both hope that we get her to return to WDW sooner than later – somehow!!

As for the new trip: you won’t see a PTR – my travel companion does not like the idea of our travel plan details being publicly known beforehand. But you will be able to find a trip report once I am back. I will be travelling in late spring with a friend who lives in Southern Florida and the trip will consist of three elements: a stay at AKL Jambo House – I splurged and got us a one bedroom villa -, a cruise on the Disney Wonder from Miami and some time in Southern Florida – I am counting on getting in some beach time there! All in all it will be nearly three weeks, so I have no idea how long that TR is going to take me to write!

englishrose47
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Great conclusion to your TR!!! I love October in Disney!!I do however agree that the F & W clutters up the World and makes Epcot super busy!!! I think I would enjoy it if by myself and NOT wi9th8 Individuals !!

The High Tea looked splendid !!

Poolrat
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Great wrap up to the TR.

I totally agree on the DVC thing and being able to really slow down after I purchased.

I like F&W but have also been enough times to know when to avoid it becaus of the crowds. I like the variety and only being committed to a small portion so if I don't like it I have not blown a whole meal price on it. :)

Of course I still need to work out the whole - what is in this question before this year. I think I will email when the food and wine website comes up and try to get out in front of it. I know last year they had a special email to inquire about allergies but I never got around to it.
I just really need to know what is in it and then I can plan.

Have a blast on your next adventure. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

eandesmom
02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Getting caught up today! I enjoyed your review of Fountain and Fresh, need to check those out at some point, they sounds very appealing!

Meeting people I had gotten to known through the internet certainly added a new layer to the trip. I had done it in the past, but we really got to spend quite some time with Marv and Jonathan as well as our other friends whom we had dinner with at Tchoup Chop. This was different from just a brief meet in the park or at the resort. It was really great and I think Katharina and I made some very good new friends!!

It's a pretty wonderful thing and definitely lasting!

I am really happy with the choice of my home resort for DVC. I did something which on the DVC board is always something people advise against: I bought sight unseen. I had visited the Boardwalk, but never stayed there, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out well! I truly love the resort and would be happy to stay there on many more trips. But I also want to try so many of the other DVC resorts, so who knows when my next stay at the Boardwalk will be…

That truly is the beauty of DVC, being able to try so many different wonderful places. I bought sight unseen at SSR so we'd have the treehouse advantage but it was definitely staying at BWV that had me wanting our add on to be there. I do think that if you know you like the BW area then it's really not all that risky to own there, more a matter of preference between BC and BWV.

I am not so sure whether I like the fall for a WDW trip as much as I tought I would. The many MNSSHPs cause the MK to close early on so many nights that it makes it difficult to schedule evenings there to see the fireworks. I am also not sure I would want to pay for party tickets every time I am there in the fall. I also found the Food & Wine festival much less to my liking than I expected. I mentioned it before that I thought that it cluttered the World Showcase. And I also think that while I enjoy good food, I also enjoy the atmosphere it is presented in. Having difficulty finding a place to eat your tasting from a paper plate with plastic cutlery is not very atmospheric for me.

It does clutter it and weekends were a bit ugly but I do still like it. I think for me I tend to view it more of a series of snacks, than a dining experience so I am ok with the ambiance. I do agree though that the party impacts MK quite a bit and if that wasn't part of your plans, other times of year would be better. I did like the culinary seminars we did and felt it added a lot to my F&W experience.

So, since after the 2010 trip I decided no more trips in winter as it might be too cold and I know that summer is definitely to warm and humid for me – this leaves spring. I really hope that this will be my perfect time for WDW! So this is the plan for this year. Unfortunately, that trip will be without my wonderful sister. But we both hope that we get her to return to WDW sooner than later – somehow!!

Spring is wonderful, the weather is just perfection. And Flower and Garden didn't seem to me to be nearly as crowded as Food and Wine. I think you will have a wonderful trip, it sounds absolutely lovely!

[QUOTE=Flossbolna;47522798]
As for the new trip: you won’t see a PTR – my travel companion does not like the idea of our travel plan details being publicly known beforehand. But you will be able to find a trip report once I am back. I will be travelling in late spring with a friend who lives in Southern Florida and the trip will consist of three elements: a stay at AKL Jambo House – I splurged and got us a one bedroom villa -, a cruise on the Disney Wonder from Miami and some time in Southern Florida – I am counting on getting in some beach time there! All in all it will be nearly three weeks, so I have no idea how long that TR is going to take me to write! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

lovealldisney
02-18-2013, 08:16 AM
As for the new trip: you won’t see a PTR – my travel companion does not like the idea of our travel plan details being publicly known beforehand. But you will be able to find a trip report once I am back. I will be travelling in late spring with a friend who lives in Southern Florida and the trip will consist of three elements: a stay at AKL Jambo House – I splurged and got us a one bedroom villa -, a cruise on the Disney Wonder from Miami and some time in Southern Florida – I am counting on getting in some beach time there! All in all it will be nearly three weeks, so I have no idea how long that TR is going to take me to write!

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us Magdalene! I can't wait for your new report! :) Something new and different for you and sounds wonderful!

Loved the tea pictures! Everything looked really yummy especially those raspberry tarts! Looks like you had a lovely visit with Katharina. I can't wait to visit with you both in 2014.. :upsidedow

It's funny you mentioned spices, as that is what I was thinking also when DD comes to visit. I was going to ask what it is you wanted. :goodvibes Do you still have a catalog? I can send one if you wish. I was thinking of sending some to her host family as well. Not sure what to get though??? Thoughts???

Captain_Oblivious
02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Happy belated birthday Katharina! Sorry I missed it earlier.

So that brings us to the end of this TR. All in all it was a wonderful trip with my sister and definitely worthy for a 40th birthday celebration.

Magdalene, I really enjoyed the report! It was interesting reading a TR that wasn't in strict chronological order.

The trip was also rather different from my previous trips to WDW. Since I now know that I will be back to make use of my DVC I was less concerned with seeing everything (also since there weren’t really that many new things built by Disney and I knew the old things well enough by now). I also did not have the pressure of making sure that my sister had a really fabulous first trip to WDW.

Sounds like you and Pat (Poolrat) have both experienced DVC Zen now. :goodvibes

I'm really glad to got to meet up with them! I've found the folks here on the DISBoards to be uniformly wonderful people.:thumbsup2

I'm sure each season has its good points and bad. The important thing is that they do enough things right to make you want to keep coming back.

Well, PTR's are overrated anyway. ;)

Anyway, sounds like a great trip! 3 weeks sounds heavenly.

By the way, any good tips for dealing with jet lag?

brookelizabeth
03-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Excited for you and your upcoming trip! We love going to WDW in the fall because of the lower crowds, even though, I do agree-it can be hard to schedule due the parties. But! The spring is wonderful!!!! The F&GF is, hands-down, my favorite. I'm not hugely into the F&WF either, it just seems very overpriced to me...and most of the items I can find outside my front door living where I do. It sort of lost it's appeal/wonder for me. I do like the idea of it all though, giving people a chance to try things they otherwise might not! I think I will also enjoy the mix of the F&GF with the food & beverages this year.

So glad you enjoyed the Boardwalk too! I remember you asking me about it. We seem to have similar opinions on most anything - so I figured you might like it. :goodvibes It's a beautiful resort, and the location is superb. We haven't stayed at the Beach Club or the Villas at WL yet, but so far the Boardwalk is my favorite, followed by Old Key West.

Very much looking forward to your next TR! If you remember, please alert me when you start it in case I miss it!

podsnel
03-01-2013, 11:01 AM
The tea looked beautiful! Happy belated birthday!:)

So glad yu enjoyed olivia's- we are hoping to have breakfast there May 3rd, before we move over to AKV! :thumbsup2

PracPerfPatricia
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Happy very Belated birthday to Katharina! :wave2:

That tea looked absolutely wonderful...:goodvibes I love that kind of thing...:thumbsup2

It does sound like you have some lovely plans between the stay at AKL... love, love, your cruise and some further exploration of Florida... I'm starting to feel the desire to do some further exploration in Florida myself... when you know you're going to come back... I think you feel less necessary to see everything in Disney every single time...

You are the third person who's mentioned Olivia's recently... it was not on my radar but I now feel I really should check it out...;)

nodnol
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
When was this trip again??? Sorry everyone that it took me so long to add my conclusion and thank you for all the birthday wishes.

As a good travel companions, I have to agree with most of what Magdalene concluded:

1. It was a wonderful trip with my sister.

2. It was much more relaxed which I enjoyed a lot even though I didn’t know when I’ll be back.

3. It was great to meet with internet friends who became „real“ friends!

4. Leaving Disney for Universal was a great idea and thank you very much, dear sister, for inviting me to Universal. The only problem: Now there are two locations I have to visit when I finally get to Florida again. And next time I would really like to stay at one of the Universal hotels to have a more relaxed visit.

5. I am also very happy with Magdalene’s choice of home resort for DVC. I was not so sure about it before, we didn’t spend much time at the Boardwalk the last time. But it really is a great location with so many parky and places in walking distance. But it still had more of a normal hotel feeling to me compared to AKL.

6. I agree on the Food & Wine Festival. I think I would enjoy it more, if it would be there for only one day of my trip, to taste all the things that seem interesting to me, and then enjoying an emptier and cleaner Epcot and nice sit down meals for the rest of the trip.

7. I also agree that it is unfortunately that Magdalene’s next trip will be without her wonderful sister and I do hope that I will return…

As much as I enjoyed WDW, the last trip really left me with the big wish to explore more of the country. The last time I was on a non-Disney vacation to the US was in 1992… So last summer Remy (my DH) and I finally went on our big trip to the US to Kentucky and the South West. And it was my best vacation ever!!! Sorry, WDW… We want to go back and DH agreed to make a stop at Disney property as well!!! But we don’t have any definite plans yet. I guess 2014 or 2015 either the West coast and Disneyland or WDW and a road trip to Kentucky, but we’ll see. But maybe there is another sister trip in the future or a trip do DLP! Until then I will have Magdalene’s next trip and the Dis.

Thanks to all of you who didn’t abandon this TR although it was one of the slowest moving ever…

glennbo123
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry that I was behind on your thread Magdalene and Katharina!

But, I learned that you love American pancakes...how refreshing that there's at least one food item that you crave "our version". Usually, European food is quite frankly, better. If you ever visit us here in southeast Pennsylvania, I know what to make for you. :goodvibes

I love eggs benedict too, but it's been years since I've had it.

Happy belated Birthday Katharina! Your Tea looked like a lovely time. Very Grand Floridian-like.

Very insightful wrap-up Magdalene (and Katharina, with your additions), as always. I appreciate the learnings that you have with every trip.

I'm sorry that Katharina won't be able to join you for your next adventure, but I know she'll get there again someday.

I understand your travel partner's misgivings about posting information beforehand. Sometimes I wonder about it myself!

Captain_Oblivious
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
So last summer Remy (my DH) and I finally went on our big trip to the US to Kentucky and the South West. And it was my best vacation ever!!!

Cool! What did you get to see? popcorn::

nodnol
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Cool! What did you get to see? popcorn::

We started in Kentucky, visiting with friends close to Elizabethtown. Remy stayed with them more then 20 years ago as an exchange student. So there were many places for him to re-visit, but we also went to Mammoth Caves and on a distillery tour. I don't know whether I ever mentioned it on your TR, how I impressed Remy at Mammoth Caves how I knew everything about the desinfection of shoes, hehe. The Dis is educating! Oh, and about the Slugger factory :) Thank you very much
We then flew to Las Vegas and drove to San Francisco - but not on a direct route: via Valley of Fire, Hoover Dam, Painted Forest NP, Momunent Valley, Natural Bridges NM, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Cedar Breaks NM, Capitol Reef NP, Wendover, Great Basin NP ...... and San Francisco. We didn't spend as much time as we wanted at most of the parks, but it was too hot for hiking anyway - at least for us. That's why we have to get back...

englishrose47
03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Great concluding comments Katarina !!I am heading to Las Vegas this year for the first time and am excited to explore a new state !!! Of course this is another of my free trips !!!!Please don't be a stranger on the Dis , I love hearing from my German Dis Friends !!!!

Flossbolna
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Great conclusion to your TR!!! I love October in Disney!!I do however agree that the F & W clutters up the World and makes Epcot super busy!!! I think I would enjoy it if by myself and NOT wi9th8 Individuals !!

The High Tea looked splendid !!

I am sure I will back at WDW in the autumn, I loved the weather we had. And every few years the F&W festival will be a nice event to visit. I can understand that it would be more relaxing for you if you weren't escorting a whole group!!

Great wrap up to the TR.

I totally agree on the DVC thing and being able to really slow down after I purchased.

I like F&W but have also been enough times to know when to avoid it becaus of the crowds. I like the variety and only being committed to a small portion so if I don't like it I have not blown a whole meal price on it. :)

Of course I still need to work out the whole - what is in this question before this year. I think I will email when the food and wine website comes up and try to get out in front of it. I know last year they had a special email to inquire about allergies but I never got around to it.
I just really need to know what is in it and then I can plan.

Have a blast on your next adventure. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I was thinking about you quite a few times during the trip when I realised how much easier it was slowing down knowing that I would be back as that was what you wrote about in your long AP trip report. You mentioned there how having the AP made you more relaxed!

I can understand the allergy problem. Katharina was rather restricted in what she could try and that made it less enjoyable I think for her. For the F&G they have a number of food booths and I see quite a few have dishes with shrimps or crab and I can't eat those. I find it a bit annoying that this limits me... But I am excited to try the stuff at the German booth!

Poolrat
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I was thinking about you quite a few times during the trip when I realised how much easier it was slowing down knowing that I would be back as that was what you wrote about in your long AP trip report. You mentioned there how having the AP made you more relaxed!

The AP and DVC make me want to run down there on a whim. :rotfl:

I am looking forward to Flower and Garden and really am looking forward to going slow.

I can understand the allergy problem. Katharina was rather restricted in what she could try and that made it less enjoyable I think for her. For the F&G they have a number of food booths and I see quite a few have dishes with shrimps or crab and I can't eat those. I find it a bit annoying that this limits me... But I am excited to try the stuff at the German booth!

That reminded me - I just emailed the special diets area and asked for ingredient list for Flower and garden. Hopefully that might be an easier way for me to navigate.

Flossbolna
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Getting caught up today! I enjoyed your review of Fountain and Fresh, need to check those out at some point, they sounds very appealing!

Hope you will enjoy them! They aren't as heavily themed as maybe some of the Disney places, but the food was lovely and I liked the Swan&Dolphin much better than I thought I would. And that DVC discount is nice, too!

That truly is the beauty of DVC, being able to try so many different wonderful places. I bought sight unseen at SSR so we'd have the treehouse advantage but it was definitely staying at BWV that had me wanting our add on to be there. I do think that if you know you like the BW area then it's really not all that risky to own there, more a matter of preference between BC and BWV.

I definitely want to stay at BC ones - just to try out Stormalong Bay. But somehow perfer the flimsy atmosphere of the Boardwalk. And the location os just sooo perfect.

But I am also really looking forward to being at AKL again - I love it for its remoteness...

It does clutter it and weekends were a bit ugly but I do still like it. I think for me I tend to view it more of a series of snacks, than a dining experience so I am ok with the ambiance. I do agree though that the party impacts MK quite a bit and if that wasn't part of your plans, other times of year would be better. I did like the culinary seminars we did and felt it added a lot to my F&W experience.

Spring is wonderful, the weather is just perfection. And Flower and Garden didn't seem to me to be nearly as crowded as Food and Wine. I think you will have a wonderful trip, it sounds absolutely lovely!

I was really worried about them adding new food locations to Flower and Garden, but it seems like there aren't too many, so I think it will be fine! I am really looking forward to checking it out soon!

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us Magdalene! I can't wait for your new report! :) Something new and different for you and sounds wonderful!

Loved the tea pictures! Everything looked really yummy especially those raspberry tarts! Looks like you had a lovely visit with Katharina. I can't wait to visit with you both in 2014.. :upsidedow

It's funny you mentioned spices, as that is what I was thinking also when DD comes to visit. I was going to ask what it is you wanted. :goodvibes Do you still have a catalog? I can send one if you wish. I was thinking of sending some to her host family as well. Not sure what to get though??? Thoughts???

I am happy that you enjoyed the report! And Katharina and I are both looking forward to seeing you next year!

I will email you about the spices! If I don't remind me that I intended to... :goodvibes::rolleyes1

Flossbolna
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Magdalene, I really enjoyed the report! It was interesting reading a TR that wasn't in strict chronological order.

Sounds like you and Pat (Poolrat) have both experienced DVC Zen now. :goodvibes

Glad that you enjoyed the TR! And I like the term: DVC Zen!

I'm really glad to got to meet up with them! I've found the folks here on the DISBoards to be uniformly wonderful people.:thumbsup2

Yes they are - until they start to threaten you with emberassing posts on their TR!!!!

I'm sure each season has its good points and bad. The important thing is that they do enough things right to make you want to keep coming back.

I like it that every season has it own offerings - I never thought I want to be in Florida over Christmas, but I am starting to see the appeal of WDW in the Christmas season...

Well, PTR's are overrated anyway. ;)

Anyway, sounds like a great trip! 3 weeks sounds heavenly.

Can't wait for the vacation to finally start. But I do miss doing a PTR. It is a great outlet for all the planning excitement!

By the way, any good tips for dealing with jet lag?

Well, most importantly make sure that your sister does change the time in her mobile phone before she uses it as an alarm clock so that you won't get up at 1am thinking it is already 7am...

But on a more serious note: Going westwards try to stay up as long as you can on your first day so that you are able to sleep until a reasonable time in the morning. And then on the next few days just enjoy that you can get up totally well rested at 6am (but be prepared to fall into bed by 9pm...). Going eastwards is more difficult. If your flight time cooperates try to get as much sleep as possible during the flight (ear plugs help with sleeping on a plane as well as those little pillows that you put around your head as they prevent your head falling to the side. Once at your destination try to not take a nap, but get into the new rythm as soon as possible. Drink lots of water, but stay away from caffein. And try to spend a lot of time in the sun/outside after the flight. The daylight will help your body to adjust.

Excited for you and your upcoming trip! We love going to WDW in the fall because of the lower crowds, even though, I do agree-it can be hard to schedule due the parties. But! The spring is wonderful!!!! The F&GF is, hands-down, my favorite. I'm not hugely into the F&WF either, it just seems very overpriced to me...and most of the items I can find outside my front door living where I do. It sort of lost it's appeal/wonder for me. I do like the idea of it all though, giving people a chance to try things they otherwise might not! I think I will also enjoy the mix of the F&GF with the food & beverages this year.

So glad you enjoyed the Boardwalk too! I remember you asking me about it. We seem to have similar opinions on most anything - so I figured you might like it. :goodvibes It's a beautiful resort, and the location is superb. We haven't stayed at the Beach Club or the Villas at WL yet, but so far the Boardwalk is my favorite, followed by Old Key West.

Very much looking forward to your next TR! If you remember, please alert me when you start it in case I miss it!

I absolutely agree with your take on the F&W festival! Yes, it seems indeed as if we indeed on most things!! I noticed it first with our resort choices, so you liking the BW was one of the things that made me quite confident that I would love it, too!

I will send out PMs to my "regular TR readers" once I start it, but it will still be a while!

The tea looked beautiful! Happy belated birthday!:)

So glad yu enjoyed olivia's- we are hoping to have breakfast there May 3rd, before we move over to AKV! :thumbsup2

Hope you will enjoy Olivia's! You can report how you liked it when we meet!

Happy very Belated birthday to Katharina! :wave2:

That tea looked absolutely wonderful...:goodvibes I love that kind of thing...:thumbsup2

It does sound like you have some lovely plans between the stay at AKL... love, love, your cruise and some further exploration of Florida... I'm starting to feel the desire to do some further exploration in Florida myself... when you know you're going to come back... I think you feel less necessary to see everything in Disney every single time...

You are the third person who's mentioned Olivia's recently... it was not on my radar but I now feel I really should check it out...;)

Yes, I can see that the tea would be just your thing!

There is actually quite a bit to see in Florida. I loved the Ringling museum in Sarasota, swimming with the manatees in Crystal River and the architecture in South Beach in Miami a lot! There are still a number of places I want to check out at some time, like St Augustine.

marvali
03-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I had read most of your dining reviews, but somehow never got around to commenting on them. BD is one I haven't yet had any desire to try, but it sounds like FF may be a place I need to plan a meal at in the near future! I totally agree on your assessment of Olivia's as I think it is a wonderful restaurant and easy to add at the last minute! Great experiences with the food AND the service there, and I definitely agree with those who think it is one of Disney's hidden secrets! :thumbsup2

[B]

50’s Prime Time Café

We had lunch here during the morning we spent with Marv and Jonathan at DHS. Marv had volunteered to go there with us as I had complained at some point that my previous experiences there were rather boring as it seemed that the servers were too hesitant to “play” with the foreigners. So Marv did his best to get into trouble! We did have quite some fun – got an additional family member from a neighbouring table as she was sent away from her family. And Jonathan was so quick in finishing his drink that he got multiple refills – all at once!!

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/2011/DSC09272.jpg That is a great picture of Jonathan! We both had a wonderful time meeting and doing some park touring with you and Katharina! We too felt like we made some very good friends during that trip! :goodvibes I was hoping I didn't embarrass the two of you too much with my antics at 50s PT, but since you felt we probably should have planned a few more meals together, I guess I didn't! ;)

[B]
As you can see I substituted the green beans for corn while Katharina substituted the southern greens for green beans. However, Marv got the southern greens (well, he is from the South so I guess it’s in his blood…) and he let us try some. Not at all my kind of vegetable!!! The food was good, but I did not find it great. It was a bit bland and felt very “mass produced”. Yes, I guess growing up in the south I have a different palate from some people who post here, and definitely someone who is from another country! I agree that some of the food at 50s PT seems "mass produced" and I would definitely lump the meatloaf in that category. The one time I tried it I was far from impressed as this tasted nothing like my definition of meatloaf! :( The chicken and the pot roast are my definite favorites, but I understand they have a new item on the menu (pork chop) that sounds really good, so I may have to give that one a try the next time I am there!

Sorry you didn't enjoy your meal at Kona so much! I agree on the bread, and the steak I had there one night was one of the best I have had at Disney, so I guess that is what happens when you order TOFU!!! :sick: (and you think I have strange tastes in food.........) :rotfl:

50's PT and Kona are two of my favorite places on property! They may not be "signature" dining but they fit my tastes to a T. Sounds like we have very similar tastes in food! I guess I can plan my future meals around your positive Disney dining reviews!!! :woohoo:

I understand your travel partner's misgivings about posting information beforehand. Sometimes I wonder about it myself!Yes, look at the high price you paid that one fateful early trip staying at Kidani.......... :rolleyes1

Yes they are - until they start to threaten you with emberassing posts on their TR!!!! Now WHO would do such a horrible thing to such a wonderful lady??? :mad:

The tea for Katharina's birthday looked like a wonderful event! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming trip!!! I hope you have a wonderful time!!! :cloud9:

Captain_Oblivious
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
We started in Kentucky, visiting with friends close to Elizabethtown. Remy stayed with them more then 20 years ago as an exchange student. So there were many places for him to re-visit, but we also went to Mammoth Caves and on a distillery tour. I don't know whether I ever mentioned it on your TR, how I impressed Remy at Mammoth Caves how I knew everything about the desinfection of shoes, hehe. The Dis is educating! Oh, and about the Slugger factory :) Thank you very much
We then flew to Las Vegas and drove to San Francisco - but not on a direct route: via Valley of Fire, Hoover Dam, Painted Forest NP, Momunent Valley, Natural Bridges NM, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Cedar Breaks NM, Capitol Reef NP, Wendover, Great Basin NP ...... and San Francisco. We didn't spend as much time as we wanted at most of the parks, but it was too hot for hiking anyway - at least for us. That's why we have to get back...

Sounds like it was amazing! We have a lot of those western NP's on our bucket list. Someday we'll get to see it all!

Yes they are - until they start to threaten you with emberassing posts on their TR!!!!

Nobody is that cruel...are they???

Well, most importantly make sure that your sister does change the time in her mobile phone before she uses it as an alarm clock so that you won't get up at 1am thinking it is already 7am...

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

But on a more serious note: Going westwards try to stay up as long as you can on your first day so that you are able to sleep until a reasonable time in the morning. And then on the next few days just enjoy that you can get up totally well rested at 6am (but be prepared to fall into bed by 9pm...). Going eastwards is more difficult. If your flight time cooperates try to get as much sleep as possible during the flight (ear plugs help with sleeping on a plane as well as those little pillows that you put around your head as they prevent your head falling to the side. Once at your destination try to not take a nap, but get into the new rythm as soon as possible. Drink lots of water, but stay away from caffein. And try to spend a lot of time in the sun/outside after the flight. The daylight will help your body to adjust.

Thanks for the tips! I have always had more trouble traveling back east as well. I've never been very good at sleeping on a plane, so that's part of the problem.

Sounds like we have very similar tastes in food! I guess I can plan my future meals around your positive Disney dining reviews!!! :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 I'm always shocked when people don't like my favorite places...:confused3