PDA

View Full Version : Get Fit For Disney!

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 12:10 PM
This group was originally started by some September 2011 travelers, but others are more than welcome.

pinkle
03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Present!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I was going to say on the other thread that I don't ever use the word diet. It just has such a negative tone to eat. No one likes dieting. All I'm doing is trying to eat healthier and get more active. Like this morning my boys and I went for an hour and a half walk. For lunch I had a salad with romaine lettuce, onions, small cubed cheese, turkey pastrami and light italian dressing. I also had a few tortilla chips with a bunch of salsa and 1 very small cookie with a giant glass of water. :)

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm hoping to lose 10-15 lbs. by my September trip. I've already lost 15, but these last ten lbs. are proving the toughest!

ThereYouSeeHer
03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm here!

I'm keeping my goal small at 15 pounds by August 31st.

A crisp romaine salad actually sounds pretty good right now. I'm trying to enjoy salads more. I'm a vegetarian, but one of the junk food kinds! haha.....

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
My goal is to lose 20-25 pounds overall, but I don't know if I'll be able to lose that much by September. I'd sure hope that I can lose at least 15 by then!

disneychic2
03-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I would like to join you for sure. I am sick right now, so can't work out, but hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon and I'll be able to get out (and up!:rotfl:). I'm reading a really good book from the library right now called Superfoods Lifestyle that is educating me on really great foods to choose. What are some of you doing to reach your goals?

ThereYouSeeHer
03-17-2011, 12:51 PM
What's everyone's favorite go-to healthy meal?

Mine is PBJ (w/ strawberry jelly). I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I often do and I'm having one right now!

Bread for whole wheat or whole grain benefits, the PB for protein and it keeps you feeling full, the jelly for a kick of sweetness to satisfy that sweet tooth. Perfect!

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd also like for everyone to put there top favorite healthy snacks here. I'm thinking of updating the first post with our favorite snacks and other tips we discuss here.

ThereYouSeeHer
03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I would like to join you for sure. I am sick right now, so can't work out, but hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon and I'll be able to get out (and up!:rotfl:). I'm reading a really good book from the library right now called Superfoods Lifestyle that is educating me on really great foods to choose. What are some of you doing to reach your goals?I generally try to watch portion control. I like eating pre-packaged tv dinners or yogurt cups, things where I can say, "This is breakfast, and no more..." Limiting snacking throughout the day. Things like that. Rocket science, right?

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
What are some of you doing to reach your goals?

No more baked goods beside bread (this is really hard for me because I love to bake, esp. cakes!), smaller portions, and exercising for at least half an hour every day but Sunday. I'm a vegetarian, and I've been trying to avoid those vegetarian junk meals like mac and cheese.

What's everyone's favorite go-to healthy meal?

Mine is PBJ (w/ strawberry jelly). I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I often do and I'm having one right now!

Veggie stew with a salad!

ThereYouSeeHer
03-17-2011, 01:00 PM
No more baked goods beside bread (this is really hard for me because I love to bake, esp. cakes!), smaller portions, and exercising for at least half an hour every day but Sunday. I'm a vegetarian, and I've been trying to avoid those vegetarian junk meals like mac and cheese.

Veggie stew with a salad!Pre-made veggie stew or do you make it? What's in it?

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
We also need recipes! :P I want a recipe for the Veggie Stew!

Strawberry's mom&dad
03-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm in.
I currently follow a whole food, plant based, starch centered, no added fat food plan. I have lost 22 pounds, would like to loose another 5-10lbs by our September trip. Before we go Dh and I get up to a 3 mile walk every day.

Favorite snacks: Fruit any kind and veggies.

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
The veggie stew I make has leeks, potatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, and carrots. It doesn't sound like much, but once it all simmers together it's tasty! I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight if anyone's interested.

jbmom
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm here! I need help keeping motivated, if I have no one pushing me its too easy to give up.

Plus last year my dh had a health scare, more genetics than weight but it still got us moving a lot more!

DaniB
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm wanting to lose the 15 lbs I gained back from my weight loss last year, and hopefully lose another 10-15 before our September trip.

Food-wise I haven't done well today. I even forgot I am getting weighed tonight! :rolleyes:

However I did drag the kids out for a walk. I bribed them to Tim Hortons (10-pack timbits divided among them) and with 2-6/7 year olds that took just over an hour (2 miles round-trip).

My goals are to walk a whole lot more (5 kms / 3 miles daily). Drink a ton of water. Increase my fruits & veggies (so hard!), decrease my breads, and decrease fast food & junk food (even harder!). I found last year if I allowed myself a weekly fast food treat, I was able to stick with eating healthier the rest of the week.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to "mapmyrun". It lets you hightlight a route that you walk or run, and tells you how many kms or miles you did! I used it to map out routes that I walk on a regular basis so I can start adding up how far I walk weekly.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/?

Mickeypooh99
03-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I want to join too! I want to lose 40 lbs. I don't expect to lose all of it by our trip, but I'm going to try to lose as much as I can.

I'm having chicken tacos from the crockpot for dinner. Just chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning. It isn't too many calories.

I have been keeping track of my calories on my smartphone. It worked for me for a couple months last summer, but then we went on vacation, and it all went downhill from there. :rolleyes1

ThereYouSeeHer
03-17-2011, 02:08 PM
To help with this journey, I use the free tools at www.FitDay.com.

You can enter foods you've eaten in a Food Journal, write down thoughts in a regular Daily Journal, track your weight progress and goals, see how many calories you need to eat each day based on your goal, etc., etc. They offer alot of different tools, reports, and graphs to help you!

basketkat
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I made it over from the other thread!!!

I was recently looking at pictures from our last trip and I cringe when I see myself. I want to enjoy looking back on these memories!!

So...I've been trying portion control and moderation. I also bought a treadmill and I've been trying to walk every other day. It is amazing when I bump up te incline how fast the calories burned adds up!!!

I've lost 4 lbs so far!!!

We can do this!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Elianor
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Can I participate too? I only need to drop 10, but my sister is joining me on our trip in September and she was just told by her doctor that she needs to lose 40 by the end of the year or she will end up with type 2 diabetes by 2012.

We've been experimenting this week with some different whole grain recipes (she's been told to cut out white (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice) you get the picture! Hard for her since she's a processed food junkie!

We had a little success with brown rice crusted spinach feta quiches and a complete fail on oatmeal bars. We did an sweet orange spiced tilapia that I adored, but she didn't care for.

My goal is to be able to wear cute shorts in September and not feel dumpy! The veggie stew sounds great! I would love the recipe.

Oh, and does anyone out there like rollerskating? I just found out my local rink has a Wednesday night skate (it's my favorite new exercise!)

pinkle
03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm hoping to lose 10-15 lbs. by my September trip. I've already lost 15, but these last ten lbs. are proving the toughest!

Isn't it!!! :scared1:

I try to jog 4 times a week for minimumof 1/2 hour
breakfast 1/2C low fat cottage cheese and small apple
lunch steamed brocolli and low fat protein (usually cottage cheese :))
supper big salad with 1 tsp olive oil and fresh lemon juice and whatever meat we're having
snacks veggies/little fruit/ 1/2 slice whole grain toast
I drink lots of water and green tea
it's working just a slow process!!!! :confused3

pinkle
03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I made it over from the other thread!!!

I was recently looking at pictures from our last trip and I cringe when I see myself. I want to enjoy looking back on these memories!!

So...I've been trying portion control and moderation. I also bought a treadmill and I've been trying to walk every other day. It is amazing when I bump up te incline how fast the calories burned adds up!!!

I've lost 4 lbs so far!!!

GOOD FOR YOU.......the scale is heading the right direction...it's amazing what the incline will do!!!!! As long as we burn more than we consume it will work.
We can do this!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Can I participate too? I only need to drop 10, but my sister is joining me on our trip in September and she was just told by her doctor that she needs to lose 40 by the end of the year or she will end up with type 2 diabetes by 2012.

We've been experimenting this week with some different whole grain recipes (she's been told to cut out white (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice) you get the picture! Hard for her since she's a processed food junkie!

We had a little success with brown rice crusted spinach feta quiches and a complete fail on oatmeal bars. We did an sweet orange spiced tilapia that I adored, but she didn't care for.

My goal is to be able to wear cute shorts in September and not feel dumpy! The veggie stew sounds great! I would love the recipe.

Oh, and does anyone out there like rollerskating? I just found out my local rink has a Wednesday night skate (it's my favorite new exercise!)

My dad has been diagnosed with type 2, and is already having some lasting side effects because his sugars got out of whack! :confused: That is so good you have your sister, it's easier with a friend!

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I want to join too! I want to lose 40 lbs. I don't expect to lose all of it by our trip, but I'm going to try to lose as much as I can.

I'm having chicken tacos from the crockpot for dinner. Just chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning. It isn't too many calories.

I have been keeping track of my calories on my smartphone. It worked for me for a couple months last summer, but then we went on vacation, and it all went downhill from there. :rolleyes1

You can always add some black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, black olives and a little avocado to make them even better. The few extra calories are worth it since you're getting a ton of veggies.

Yes, you can absolutely join us! I actually really prefer whole wheat pastas and bread. It's very hard for me to eat brown rice, but I'm not a huge rice person in general. I hope that she really gets going because a diagnosis like that is pretty scary. Good luck to you and her!

Isn't it!!! :scared1:

I try to jog 4 times a week for minimumof 1/2 hour
breakfast 1/2C low fat cottage cheese and small apple
lunch steamed brocolli and low fat protein (usually cottage cheese :))
supper big salad with 1 tsp olive oil and fresh lemon juice and whatever meat we're having
snacks veggies/little fruit/ 1/2 slice whole grain toast
I drink lots of water and green tea
it's working just a slow process!!!! :confused3

That doesn't really even seem like enough food. Maybe I'm way off though. I would be absolutely starving. Are you following any website or particular diet plan?

jbmom
03-17-2011, 03:38 PM
I've really been working on cutting out a lot of sodium. Its amazing how much sodium is in different foods. I also gave up pop(I'm from Michigan, we call it pop). That is proving to be a big challenge!

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I've really been working on cutting out a lot of sodium. Its amazing how much sodium is in different foods. I also gave up pop(I'm from Michigan, we call it pop). That is proving to be a big challenge!

I'm from Michigan, too! Yes, cutting out pop has been very hard. I've now decided that I can only have it if we go out to eat and it will be limited to 1 glass. I am embarrassed to say this, but I was drinking 3-5 cans of Cherry Pepsi everyday for months and months. It was my coffee so to speak. I'd crack one open as soon as I got up. A can of pop is far too convenient.

sjs314
03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
The veggie stew I make has leeks, potatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, and carrots. It doesn't sound like much, but once it all simmers together it's tasty! I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight if anyone's interested.

Portion control is my worst enemy besides the fact that there are so many things that I can not eat or need to limit due to my diabetes and lactose intolerance :headache:

I am going to try adding onion with my cucumber slices and vinegar, I use red wine vinegar or cider not white as someone mentioned.

That veggie stew sounded good. I use to be a big fan of the cabbage soup diet when I was younger.

My Dr told me to eat Salad Salad Salad :rotfl:

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute :lovestruc with avocado. I know that it is kind of high in calorie, but its better having a salad with some avocado than a stop at Taco Bell. Right? :lmao:

pinkle
03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute :lovestruc with avocado. I know that it is kind of high in calorie, but its better having a salad with some avocado than a stop at Taco Bell. Right? :lmao:

YUM, I love avocada (healthy fat, my husband says you can eat lots :confused3) salads can be good if you do them right....looks like you have the knack!!! :cutie:...My diet plan looks worse than it is.....I eat TONS of veggies (lunch is at least 2 C broccoli and at supper I have a large helping of meat (roast beef/chicken/taco meat/whatever we're eating) It is similar to weight watchers points (about 20 points is my minimum)

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 04:05 PM
YUM, I love avocada (healthy fat, my husband says you can eat lots :confused3) salads can be good if you do them right....looks like you have the knack!!! :cutie:...My diet plan looks worse than it is.....I eat TONS of veggies (lunch is at least 2 C broccoli and at supper I have a large helping of meat (roast beef/chicken/taco meat/whatever we're eating) It is similar to weight watchers points (about 20 points is my minimum)

:thumbsup2

jkldesigns
03-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm here! I was just thinking about using my trip as an end date for my weight loss goal! I am another with a 10 pound goal, it is harder the closer you get!!! I've been talking about losing this ten pounds for 5 years now :sad2:

I have such a hard time with my cravings though, if I want it Ipopcorn::

Good luck everyone :cheer2:

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute :lovestruc with avocado.

Me too! I recently had a salad that had raw kale in it that I'm going to try and re-create. I didn't even know you could eat kale raw, but I've been trying to work more kale and chard into my diet so I was excited. Once the weather gets warm here (and it's gonna be awhile:sad2:) I plan on eating salads for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Oh, and avocado is heaven-sent, no way I'd ever cut it out of my diet.

sjs314
03-17-2011, 04:34 PM

I have never tried avocado, I might have to pick one up and try it :)

donnaf516
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd like to join! My goal is to drop 25 pounds before out trip in late August. I've been working really hard for the past month and lost 10 pounds. :goodvibes

No true carbs past 12 noon, fruit only with my breakfast, 10 8oz glasses of water per day and at lease 30 minutes of activity per day.

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I have never tried avocado, I might have to pick one up and try it :)

:eek:

Never? Not even in guacamole? I recommend slicing one up either on a salad or in salsa. Maybe have someone help you pick your first one...they're tricky and the ripeness has a big effect on flavor.

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd like to join! My goal is to drop 25 pounds before out trip in late August. I've been working really hard for the past month and lost 10 pounds. :goodvibes

No true carbs past 12 noon, fruit only with my breakfast, 10 8oz glasses of water per day and at lease 30 minutes of activity per day.

Congrats! May I ask why the time limits on when you eat fruit or carbs?

Tinkermom76
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey I see we got a thread, Thanks L-Harper!!!

I think I by far have the most to lose. I would like to lose 90 but will be happy with 40 by the trip!!!

I am really into salads now, just finished one (kids are having mac and cheese for dinner)

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts :scared1:

I am actually gonna head out to the YMCA with the kids after dinner so they can go swimming (me too) and I think we will walk there and walk home since it's so nice out!

Then after they go to bed I will go for my usual walk.

I would really love to hear some great low calorie meal ideas and some great snack tips. I find I do better if I have 6 small meals all day. That way I snack less because I know food is coming.

Natalie

jbmom
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

I love salads too! I've been experimenting a lot with fruits in my salads. Dried cherries and clementines are my favorite right now. I haven't tried avocado yet, but I love them. I have been substituting homemade guacamole for sour cream and love it.

I'm from Michigan, too! Yes, cutting out pop has been very hard. I've now decided that I can only have it if we go out to eat and it will be limited to 1 glass. I am embarrassed to say this, but I was drinking 3-5 cans of Cherry Pepsi everyday for months and months. It was my coffee so to speak. I'd crack one open as soon as I got up. A can of pop is far too convenient.

Oh I was right there with you! If it was here I was drinking it. I let myself have a glass out to eat too, but keeping it out of the house has really helped. I drank Coke and I feel so much better drinking mostly water.

I have been trying to make my own vinaigrettes, some are successful others not so much!:rolleyes1It makes me feel better than ranch smothering my salad!

donnaf516
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Congrats! May I ask why the time limits on when you eat fruit or carbs?

Thank you!

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.

KellyWasHere
03-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm in! I have no weight to lose, I am already underweight, I just want to get fit. We took the girls to the zoo today and I am way too tired and sore. :rolleyes:

Right now my general goals are to work out on the elliptical everyday and eat a salad once a day.

lauren_elizabeth
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm here!

KellyWasHere
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Me too! I recently had a salad that had raw kale in it that I'm going to try and re-create. I didn't even know you could eat kale raw, but I've been trying to work more kale and chard into my diet so I was excited. Once the weather gets warm here (and it's gonna be awhile:sad2:) I plan on eating salads for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Oh, and avocado is heaven-sent, no way I'd ever cut it out of my diet.

We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it. :eek:

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight. :cloud9:

basketkat
03-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey I see we got a thread, Thanks L-Harper!!!

I think I by far have the most to lose. I would like to lose 90 but will be happy with 40 by the trip!!!

I am really into salads now, just finished one (kids are having mac and cheese for dinner)

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts :scared1:

I am actually gonna head out to the YMCA with the kids after dinner so they can go swimming (me too) and I think we will walk there and walk home since it's so nice out!

Then after they go to bed I will go for my usual walk.

I would really love to hear some great low calorie meal ideas and some great snack tips. I find I do better if I have 6 small meals all day. That way I snack less because I know food is coming.

Natalie

I'm with you! My husband is a bean pole. I tease we are the perfect #10 couple. He's the 1 and I'm the 0 :rotfl: My girls are followng in his footsteps it seems. Good for them :rolleyes1

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's tips and encouragement!

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM

I hear ya! My boyfriend is super lean and keeps offering to make me one of his cocoa creations or suggesting cookies for dessert. I feel bad turning him down, but he knows I'm trying to cut back on that sort of thing. Good luck!

Thank you!

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.

Ahh that makes sense. Good to know, thanks!

We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it. :eek:

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight. :cloud9:

Sounds like green juice! There are a zillion recipes for this on the 'net, and I'd love to try some. However, my blender is loud and I don't want to annoy my apartment neighbors in the morning. It's supposed to be really healthy though, and breakfast smoothies are great in the summer.

Strawberry's mom&dad
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Here is a very simple recipe:
Lunch

1 28 oz Can Whole Tomatoes (no salt added)

1 16 oz Bag Mixed Frozen Vegetables

4 oz Frozen Chopped Collard Greens

1/2 Large Bag Success Instant Brown Rice

This took about 10 minutes to make, only because the rice takes 10 minutes to make. I put the tomatoes and the veggies in a pot and as soon as the rice was done, i added it.

This is from Jeff Novick' s blog. Just a sample of one of his quick meals. When I cook I like to make enough extra so I always have left overs for a meal the next day.
Breakfast-Oatmeal and bagel
Lunch today was a baked yam and a side of veggies. Yummy!
Snack-orange

Barb

Mickeypooh99
03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
You can always add some black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, black olives and a little avocado to make them even better. The few extra calories are worth it since you're getting a ton of veggies.

You are right. I do add those things (except avocado :sick:), I just didn't list everything. Plus I have to put them on the side. My kids freak out if I put the black beans in with the meat. :rotfl:

Mickeypooh99
03-17-2011, 07:22 PM

I just can't give up pop! At least its diet pepsi. I know it isn't good for me, but giving it up isn't something I want to try right now. I try to limit it to 1 a day though! I usually save it for afternoon snack. Then I can hold off eating until dinner.

L-Harper
03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
You are right. I do add those things (except avocado :sick:), I just didn't list everything. Plus I have to put them on the side. My kids freak out if I put the black beans in with the meat. :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 I was just wondering. :)

Tinkermom76
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I am so glad I don't like pop, my uncle drinks 48 cans a week:scared1:

basketkat
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Woa!!!!! :scared1:

I like pop....but holy smokes!!!

Tinkermom76
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Woa!!!!! :scared1:

I like pop....but holy smokes!!!

ya it's crazy. We have really bad heart conditions in my family so he should know better

pinkle
03-17-2011, 07:47 PM

CONGRATS on your weight loss!!!!!

BorkBorkBork
03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Wow! 4 pages already! I just came over from the Sept planning board. Hi everyone!

I'm in! I've been overweight for a long time, about 11 years, since going to college. I have tried to lose weight before but kind of half heartedly. Well, my mom challenged herself, me and my sisters to lose a certain percentage of our body weight by June 1st, starting Jan. 1st. If we do it, she'll give us each $250 for new clothes. Well, that motivation plus the support = I have lost 30 lbs since Jan 1st!

I've mostly done this through counting calories and trying to eat 1200-1500 cal a day. I'm sure before I was eating around 2500 because I would eat whatever I wanted and however much i wanted to. Have been exercising more too (on an elliptical) but usually about once a week is it for that. I am hoping to lose 100 lbs total and would like to be down another 20 minimum by the time we go to Disney. :dance3:

lemonsours
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm here! Thanks, L-Harper, for starting this thread! Last year around this time I lost 50lb, then put 10 back over the holidays. My overall goal is another 50, but realistically I'd like to lose 20-30 before Disney.

Sodium is very hard. It lurks everywhere. I never realized how much I was consuming until I started tracking my food last year.

To help with this journey, I use the free tools at www.FitDay.com.

You can enter foods you've eaten in a Food Journal, write down thoughts in a regular Daily Journal, track your weight progress and goals, see how many calories you need to eat each day based on your goal, etc., etc. They offer alot of different tools, reports, and graphs to help you!

This sounds a lot like the free site I use: www.sparkpeople.com
They have a searchable database of food, a recipe builder that figures out the nutritional info per serving of homemade food, a fitness tracker, a route calculator (figures out speed and calories burned when you map your route and enter the time it took you), bulletin boards, articles and tons of other stuff. It's awesome!

My favorite snacks right now are 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags, cheese sticks, and frosted mini-wheats (dry).

My favorite go to meal is salad, or a hummus pita sandwich with veggies.

KELLY
03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm here to support my September girls and everyone else.

donnaf516
03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I just can't give up pop! At least its diet pepsi. I know it isn't good for me, but giving it up isn't something I want to try right now. I try to limit it to 1 a day though! I usually save it for afternoon snack. Then I can hold off eating until dinner.

Try pepsi 1 or coke 0. I try to drink only water but sometimes I need something with taste. pepsi 1 and coke 0 have lower sodium than diet.

mayfam2010
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm in! :)

DaniB
03-17-2011, 08:30 PM
We did an sweet orange spiced tilapia that I adored, but she didn't care for.

What is tilapia? The sweet orange spiced part sounds good.

I used to love rollerskating when I was a teen. Now I'm afraid I'll fall and break my leg. But that and ice skating is something I should get back into since the kids like it.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I was drinking 3-5 cans of Cherry Pepsi everyday for months and months. It was my coffee so to speak. I'd crack one open as soon as I got up. A can of pop is far too convenient.

Wow! A few years ago I was drinking about 1 can a day and started having health issues. I seriously thought I was having mini-heart attacks! After a particular bad episode sent me to the hospital, I found out it was gas. Can you imagine? How the heck one gets "gas" in their chest area, I do not understand but ohh it's painful. Shortly afterward I discovered drinking too much pop causes this. Now I'm at the point where I drink maybe 1 can a week (winter months), and I find there's not too many flavours I still like anymore. 'Cept Dr. Pepper of course! ;)

Thanks for the info! So if I'm dying for a slice of bread, bagel or english muffin - I'll have it in the morning instead of lunch or dinner. Works for me. I prefer to have that in the morning anyways. :goodvibes

BelleBete
03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
A couple of people asked about the veggie stew recipe. It's this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wakulas-First-Attempt-at-Vegetable-Stew/Detail.aspx

I make it with slightly different ingredients though:

1 T olive oil or butter
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
3 c veggie broth
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 head grean cabbage, chopped with ribs discarded
2 potatoes, cubed
1.5 t oregano
1 t basil
1 bay leaf
dash cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

mickeymouseclubhouse
03-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Popping in to say hi :goodvibes

I have too much weight to lose :sad2: but if I could make small steps towards healthier habits that would be great.

Pop and coffee...two big weaknesses of mine! I'm a caffeine junkie and I really need to cut down!

All my problems started with my second pregnancy with DD4. Like some of you, I had extremely bad hyperemesis and had a PICC line in my arm; a Zofran pump(which did not help my N/V), and IV fluids/ home health nursing care for 6+ months because I was vomiting constantly, did not eat or drink for 6 months, lost a lot of weight. Did end up gaining weight in third trimester thankfully for DDs sake but after her birth it seemed my body just rebounded and held onto every single calorie because it was almost like I was starving early in the pregnancy and my body wanted no part of that again, Lol

Ah well, like I said, I'd love to just get healthier overall! :)

heatherbynum
03-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I am joining in. I would like to lose about 30 too but realistically don't think I could before September so I am going to try for 15 and if I lose more, great :)

MikellaCinderella
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm here to support my September girls and everyone else.

Me too! I can't believe this thread is up to 5 pages already!! Wow!!:cheer2:

MikellaCinderella
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm here!

I'm keeping my goal small at 15 pounds by August 31st.

A crisp romaine salad actually sounds pretty good right now. I'm trying to enjoy salads more. I'm a vegetarian, but one of the junk food kinds! haha.....

I absolutely love salads....just finished one, in fact ;) However, mine always include TONS of cheese, croutons, dressing, sometimes bacon......
I've gotta learn to not go overboard. :lmao:

pinkle
03-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Popping in to say hi :goodvibes

IAll my problems started with my second pregnancy with DD4. Like some of you, I had extremely bad hyperemesis and had a PICC line in my arm; a Zofran pump(which did not help my N/V), and IV fluids/ home health nursing care for 6+ months because I was vomiting constantly, did not eat or drink for 6 months, lost a lot of weight. Did end up gaining weight in third trimester thankfully for DDs sake but after her birth it seemed my body just rebounded and held onto every single calorie because it was almost like I was starving early in the pregnancy and my body wanted no part of that again, Lol

Ah well, like I said, I'd love to just get healthier overall! :)
Hang in there. :thumbsup2 It's hard to right our bodies after pregnancy sometimes. I had 2 pregnacies like that (both boys) You need to boost your metabolism to keep it out of starvation mode. Try eating small amounts of healthy, high protein, unprocessed foods. Try eating every 3 hours (even if it is 1/2 whole wheat turkey sandwich with a piece of fruit) That way your body will know it is going to be getting something good every few hours, and try walking (maybe you do) :banana: And drink water :tinker:

Good Morning everyone!!!! I hope to go for a quick jog before my day starts (it's a little cool here. so at the moment I am procrastinating) For breakfast I am having 2 cups of coffee (can't live with out it) and my ususal cottage cheese and fruit...I Love :love: it.....weird. The weekend is here which sometimes can be more challenging to eat well. We are having a double date (with my DS and his GF) tonight...movie and dinner!:scared1:
Such a busy thread!!!! Can't wait until I log back in and see what I missed!

mickeymouseclubhouse
03-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Hang in there. :thumbsup2 It's hard to right our bodies after pregnancy sometimes. I had 2 pregnacies like that (both boys) You need to boost your metabolism to keep it out of starvation mode. Try eating small amounts of healthy, high protein, unprocessed foods. Try eating every 3 hours (even if it is 1/2 whole wheat turkey sandwich with a piece of fruit) That way your body will know it is going to be getting something good every few hours, and try walking (maybe you do) :banana: And drink water :tinker:

Good Morning everyone!!!! I hope to go for a quick jog before my day starts (it's a little cool here. so at the moment I am procrastinating) For breakfast I am having 2 cups of coffee (can't live with out it) and my ususal cottage cheese and fruit...I Love :love: it.....weird. The weekend is here which sometimes can be more challenging to eat well. We are having a double date (with my DS and his GF) tonight...movie and dinner!:scared1:
Such a busy thread!!!! Can't wait until I log back in and see what I missed!

Thanks pinkle! :goodvibes Yes, now that the weather is finally getting warmer and all the snow from blizzard of 2011 :scared1: here in Chicago has finally melted I hope to start walking more. DH and I really want to cut back on pop and drink more water. Limiting processed foods would also be huge for use...neither one of us really cook :guilty: and the girls schedules are so, so busy that we're always eating on the run. We are going to try to make changes gradually. Thanks for the great tips and encouragement!!:flower3:

mickeymouseclubhouse
03-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I absolutely love salads....just finished one, in fact ;) However, mine always include TONS of cheese, croutons, dressing, sometimes bacon......
I've gotta learn to not go overboard. :lmao:

I'm not a big fan of salads...unless it's like the one you just described :sad2:
:lmao:

But I always tell myself it has to better than a burger and fries, right? :)

KellyWasHere
03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Sounds like green juice! There are a zillion recipes for this on the 'net, and I'd love to try some. However, my blender is loud and I don't want to annoy my apartment neighbors in the morning. It's supposed to be really healthy though, and breakfast smoothies are great in the summer.

Yes, it's exactly that! The loudness is why I stopped making them, I didn't want to wake up my kids before I left for work. And they lose all their benefits if you make them, like, the night before. They are yummy though.

Wow! I used to drink a ton of pop, but then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. So I didn't drink any after that (for the rest of the pregnancy), and after "detoxing" I don't miss it much at all. It is an occasional nice treat. My real vice these days is McD's sweet tea. I would drink one everyday if I drove by a McD everyday.

jbmom
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I've done well so far today! Tonight were having family over and I'm grilling my favorite spicy chicken, canned green beans from our garden and hashbrown casserole. I will only have a small spoonful of the hashbrown casserole. I feel more motivated since we have this thread!

ThereYouSeeHer
03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I've done well so far today! Tonight were having family over and I'm grilling my favorite spicy chicken, canned green beans from our garden and hashbrown casserole. I will only have a small spoonful of the hashbrown casserole. I feel more motivated since we have this thread!I love green beans! And my girls love 3-bean salad with red kidney beans, green beans, and chick peas. All soaked in vinegar, of course!

sjs314
03-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Good Morning Everyone,
I have to say a big Thank You to L Harper for coming up with this idea and making the thread.
You inspired me to get back on track, although I did keep track of what I ate yesterday I am counting today as day 1 since we had corned beef and cabbage last night and I made a pig of myself :laughing:

I even ordered 2 walking DVD's and arm weights yesterday to try and get rid of my "flabby upper arms".

I never put on a lot of weight with my pregnancies and after delivery was within 5-10lbs of my non pregnancy weight. I was of average weight until I went through menopause when I was 50-51. Then the weight sneaked up on me to where I am now. I have gone from 135 to my current 234 as of my Dr Visit last week :scared1:

I was my heaviest a couple of years ago when I topped out at 243, I did lose 23 lbs and was down to 220 Dec of 2009 when I ended up on insulin which hampers my losing :mad:

Getting old sucks, I use to weigh myself everyday and if I was up a pound or two watch what I ate, it was so easy to lose back then before I went through menopause.:sad2:

Good luck everyone on keeping on track and hopeing we all can lose what we would like to before our trips. :goodvibes

Congrates on losing the 10 lbs ! I need to drink more water, I was thinking I need to buy cases of the bottled water, then put out a set number each day and make sure I drink them. I never was a soda person I drink maybe 1 2litre bottle a week and coffee I only drink 2-3 cups decaf a day. :eek:

Never? Not even in guacamole? I recommend slicing one up either on a salad or in salsa. Maybe have someone help you pick your first one...they're tricky and the ripeness has a big effect on flavor.

Nope never, never had guacmole either , I have led a sheltered life :laughing:

Anyone have any tips on picking out a ripe avacodo? I really want to try it now in my salad I add all kinds of things to my salads to make them more interesting , sliced beets, marinated mushrooms, black olives up next "avacodo"

ThereYouSeeHer
03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I need to drink more water, I was thinking I need to buy cases of the bottled water, then put out a set number each day and make sure I drink them.I bought a reusable plastic water bottle that has a "counter" on it. It has a ring with numbers on it, and each time you drink the bottle, you can move the ring to the next number. It's a quick way to track how many bottles you drink a day, and it's environmentally friendly!

sjs314
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I bought a reusable plastic water bottle that has a "counter" on it. It has a ring with numbers on it, and each time you drink the bottle, you can move the ring to the next number. It's a quick way to track how many bottles you drink a day, and it's environmentally friendly!

Now that bottle sound like a great idea, I am going to look for one. I never realize I haven't been drinking enough water until I get a headache in fact when I ended up in the hospital in Dec 2009 I was dehydrated :scared1:

Mickeypooh99
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM

I have this problem too. My kids are so thin, and my DH is 5' 10" and weighs 150 lbs after a heavy meal! :headache: He really doesn't understand my struggle. I do good on watching what I eat during the week while he is at work, but when he is home all day on the weekend I have a harder time.

Well, I am doing great today. My kids don't have school, and they wanted pancakes and eggs for breakfast. I made it for them, and then had my bowl of special k with milk. It was hard to pass up those pancakes!

I had vegetable soup for lunch, and I don't know what dinner will be yet. Usually we have fish on Fridays during Lent so I'll probably make salmon tonight.

L-Harper
03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I've done well so far today! Tonight were having family over and I'm grilling my favorite spicy chicken, canned green beans from our garden and hashbrown casserole. I will only have a small spoonful of the hashbrown casserole. I feel more motivated since we have this thread!

I'm so glad that everyone is feeling more motivated since joining this thread! I am also more motivated although I did have a pop when I went out to lunch with friends today. I did get a healthy meal though!

I bought a reusable plastic water bottle that has a "counter" on it. It has a ring with numbers on it, and each time you drink the bottle, you can move the ring to the next number. It's a quick way to track how many bottles you drink a day, and it's environmentally friendly!

That water bottle sounds awesome! I need to look around for one!

KellyWasHere
03-18-2011, 04:13 PM

That sounds really cool. The best thing when I was weaning off pop was to get a Brita pitcher. I hate tap water, the taste and that it is not cold enough. Now we have the biggest Pur water container, because we as a family go through so much water.

I am not doing very well today. Have not exercised at all even though I told myself I was going to start days ago. I really need to do this, I get headaches all the time and get tired so fast.

lauren_elizabeth
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Has anyone done the 30 Day Shred? I started it last year and only did 4 days of it due to finding out I was pregnant... but it totally kicked my butt and I loved it!

I can't wait until the doc clears me to work out at my 6-week PP appointment so I can start this again!

ThereYouSeeHer
03-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Has anyone done the 30 Day Shred? I started it last year and only did 4 days of it due to finding out I was pregnant... but it totally kicked my butt and I loved it!

I can't wait until the doc clears me to work out at my 6-week PP appointment so I can start this again!I have used it, although I never stuck with it. It's way beyond my stamina level. I almost found P90X to be easier! The problem I have with 30 Day Shred is the switching between standing exercises and floor exercises. Once I'm doing floor work, I like to stay there, not get back up for another round! At least with P90X, I could stand up virtually the whole time and just work with my hand weights. I really need to get back into something though. One of my favorite workouts ever is a Billy Blanks Tae-bo routine I have on VHS!

Tinkermom76
03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I have this problem too. My kids are so thin, and my DH is 5' 10" and weighs 150 lbs after a heavy meal! :headache: He really doesn't understand my struggle. I do good on watching what I eat during the week while he is at work, but when he is home all day on the weekend I have a harder time.

Well, I am doing great today. My kids don't have school, and they wanted pancakes and eggs for breakfast. I made it for them, and then had my bowl of special k with milk. It was hard to pass up those pancakes!

I had vegetable soup for lunch, and I don't know what dinner will be yet. Usually we have fish on Fridays during Lent so I'll probably make salmon tonight.

I am having issues with Fridays as I have never liked fish. I know fish is really good for you so what fish would anyone recommend for someone who doesn't really like it, especailly the smell?

jbmom
03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I even ordered 2 walking DVD's and arm weights yesterday to try and get rid of my "flabby upper arms".

Getting old sucks, I use to weigh myself everyday and if I was up a pound or two watch what I ate, it was so easy to lose back then before I went through menopause.:sad2:

Good luck everyone on keeping on track and hopeing we all can lose what we would like to before our trips. :goodvibes

I hate when I wave and the skin under my arms keeps going! Its just gross!

It does suck getting old. I recently hit 40 and I'm having a hard time with it. I don't feel 40!:scared1:

[QUOTE=Mickeypooh99;40370908]I have this problem too. My kids are so thin, and my DH is 5' 10" and weighs 150 lbs after a heavy meal! :headache: He really doesn't understand my struggle. I do good on watching what I eat during the week while he is at work, but when he is home all day on the weekend I have a harder time.

Yeah, your dh has the opposite problem! At least Brian needs to lose some although not as much as me!

I really like Special K, they have lots of varieties.

I'm really picky about my fish. We usually only eat what the boys catch. Where do you buy your salmon? Our fresh salmon is long gone!

pinkle
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
This has been a challenging day!!! I went to the movies,popcorn:: and out for dinner, dinner was okay, i had a spinach salad with chicken....my downfall was the supersize bag of mini eggs we picked up at Costco :scared1: I have had enought to last until Easter!!! Good thing I went for a jog first!!!:worship:back on the horse again tomorrow!

MikeandSulley
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Followed over from September 2011, I would love to lose 25-30 lbs. I lost about 15 last summer and gain half back now I really want to get it off and maintain it.

DaniB
03-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Yesterday wasn't too bad a day. I say "too bad" because I was good for breakfast & lunch, and took the kids on a 1.5 mile hike to a couple of banks and back. Then DH twisted my arm and we ate dinner at a Chinese Buffet. :goodvibes

Today I'll bribe the kids with timbits for a 2 mile walk. :goodvibes

sjs314
03-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Yesterday wasn't too bad a day. I say "too bad" because I was good for breakfast & lunch, and took the kids on a 1.5 mile hike to a couple of banks and back. Then DH twisted my arm and we ate dinner at a Chinese Buffet. :goodvibes

Today I'll bribe the kids with timbits for a 2 mile walk. :goodvibes

Well I went "bust" yesterday had pizza and a very small slice of cake. Soon as I ate the cake I was mad at myself for doing so.

Our local Chinese Buffet is my weakness, I think I need to go get it out of my system today and then I can start over tomorrow with my diet

Tinkermom76
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Today I am taking the kids to Disney on Ice! Anyone know if they healthy snacks there? :rotfl2::rotfl: I think I am going to go out this morning and get some meal replacement bars to take with me, I think I might look crazy if I walk in with a bowl of salad :lmao:

ThereYouSeeHer
03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Well I went "bust" yesterday had pizza and a very small slice of cake. Soon as I ate the cake I was mad at myself for doing so.

Our local Chinese Buffet is my weakness, I think I need to go get it out of my system today and then I can start over tomorrow with my diet Reese's peanut butter eggs did me in yesterday, and I'm off to a birthday party in a few minutes (pizza and cake!). Guess I'll try again tomorrow!

And for the record, Easter is so late this year that it's a really long time between Valentine's and Easter Day. It just means all that candy will be out for an extremely long time. Ughh!!! :eek:

Mickeypooh99
03-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I am having issues with Fridays as I have never liked fish. I know fish is really good for you so what fish would anyone recommend for someone who doesn't really like it, especailly the smell?

I mainly stick with tilapia and salmon. Of course my favorite is fried whitefish, but that isn't diet friendly!

Mickeypooh99
03-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, your dh has the opposite problem! At least Brian needs to lose some although not as much as me!

I really like Special K, they have lots of varieties.

I'm really picky about my fish. We usually only eat what the boys catch. Where do you buy your salmon? Our fresh salmon is long gone!

I know, Scott can't gain weight when he is trying! So frustrating!

I just buy fish at Family Fare usually. I don't have the boys catching anything we can eat. Our pond doesn't grow them that big!

I think I really got tired of fish around my high school years. I have fond memories of our "fish frys" when we were kids, but the older I got, the more tired of fish I got. I started to dread those white bags of fish in the freezer, and the jars of salmon in the basement! :laughing: I do remember my dad grilling salmon with bbq sauce, and it was really good, but mine never turns out as good.

You don't look 40! Besides, I'm not that far behind, and I sure don't feel as old as I am.

meeshi
03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Count me in! I have 10lbs to lose...again. I always seem to gain it all back over the winter. :headache:

I can't wait until the doc clears me to work out at my 6-week PP appointment so I can start this again!

I did it last spring and not only lost 13lbs. but also went down 2 sizes, which never happened before. It totally changed my body. Of course I gained everything back over the winter so I desperately need to get back on track. I threw away all my "fat" clothes so I now have nothing to wear once the weather starts to warm up, which is happening way too fast since I'm now in TX.

Anyway, I started last weekend watching what I'm eating, I'm tracking it all on sparkpeople. My DH and I also started walking and this week I'm going to start doing the 30 day shred.

Last year we had a Biggest Loser Challenge at work so that helped tremendously, I need some accountability or I'll get lazy.

lemonsours
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Count me in! I have 10lbs to lose...again. I always seem to gain it all back over the winter. :headache:

I did it last spring and not only lost 13lbs. but also went down 2 sizes, which never happened before. It totally changed my body. Of course I gained everything back over the winter so I desperately need to get back on track. I threw away all my "fat" clothes so I now have nothing to wear once the weather starts to warm up, which is happening way too fast since I'm now in TX.

Anyway, I started last weekend watching what I'm eating, I'm tracking it all on sparkpeople. My DH and I also started walking and this week I'm going to start doing the 30 day shred.

Last year we had a Biggest Loser Challenge at work so that helped tremendously, I need some accountability or I'll get lazy.

Wow, I lost 50 lbs last year and only went down 2 sizes! That's great! (During a biggest loser contest at work, too!) I use Sparkpeople too, when I am religious about using it is when I lose the most. Unfortunately lately I haven't been. I need to get back to that, and kick up the exercise, too. Luckily I only gained back 10 of those over the holidays, but I still have way more than that to lose. Did pretty good this weekend, although we did go out for Indian food last night. :rolleyes1

Smile4Me
03-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Following from September 2011 Thread as well! I am a very goal oriented person and seeing that others are too, and working toward their goals helps keep me on track for mine! I definitely need to be eating better and exercising more. And i know it can't all be done over night so I've made some small changes in the last two years and have kept to them, like eating breakfast everyday and not buying pop anymore to have in the house....now its time to keep going further with it!

Can't wait to share some recipes! I am ready to try quick pickling (cucumbers in vinegar-usually I just like them with salt) and the veggie stew recipe posted!

Elianor
03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
"What is tilapia? The sweet orange spiced part sounds good."

Sorry, things got a little busy! Tilapia is a mild white fish that comes in fillets and is very quick to cook and takes flavors well. The sweet orange is made with 2TB brown sugar, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp of: grated orange rind, cumin, paprika and ground coriander. Then a little salt and pepper. Rub 4 fish fillets with the spice rub and broil on a pan coated with cooking spray about 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

It's sweet and spicy and paired very well with brown rice and broccoli.

We figured out whole wheat crust for pizza for my sister. Oh and corn tostadas. She was so happy because they felt like "junk" food but she knew they weren't!

The whole wheat pizza crust was Wolfgang Puck's recipe and it made 4 pretty good sized pizzas (I was only able to eat half of one), and we added a little garlic powder and cooking spray around the edges to help them brown.

The tostadas were corn tortillas coated in cooking spray and baked about 5-6 minutes at 450 degrees (they were starting to bubble and curl at the edges). Then we put two Tablespoons of rinsed black beans, some 2% cheddar (2 TB) some pickled jalepenos and popped them back in the hot oven til the cheese melted. We cut the corn tortillas into quarters (crispy melty goodness) and topped with homemade guacamole and salsa.

We worked it out to about 150 calories per tostada and two of them made a light meal.

Take that Taco Bell!:cool1:

Elianor
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey L-Harper! I found your pre-trip report, but my computer's acting goofy and won't let me post to it. Go figure!

My crew will be at Kidani Village from September 11-September 16th! We rented points from a close friend who has a DVC membership. She wasn't going to be able to use all her points this year, so we paid her and will be in a 2 bedroom savannah view at Kidani! I am so excited!

This will be the first time the kids DS who will be 3 and DD 8 have ever stayed on property! I know you're going to love it!

It's going to be my 10th wedding anniversary while we are there and my 38th birthday!:cheer2:

disneychic2
03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I was sick when I joined this thread back on page one and am still sick. On my second round of antibiotics! But hopefully, I'll soon be able to get back to walking. And everything else for that matter!

I lost 53 pounds on Nuitrisystems, but it was so expensive and on top of that, I had to buy a lot of other stuff. It works b/c of portions I think. It was easy and I loved the simplicity of the meals, but I realize I have to find something that I can do for the rest of my life. I have since gained the weight back and need to lose 50 lbs. I'm hoping for 30 before Disney in September, but I know that's a lot.

I have cut out processed foods and am trying to buy organic and concentrate on foods that are good for me that I can live with. But it's so expensive! We are certainly not encouraged by manufacturers to eat more heathy foods by the crazy prices! I'm trying to be more aware of omega 3 foods and making sure I get enough water every day.

I love to hear the success stories. It really makes me happy for others and encourages me. I have a DH who totally supports me in my efforts and does not do anything to sabotage me. He's one of those who can eat whatever and not gain. Uhhhhh!

I want to encourage everyone to keep trying. Don't let mistakes spoil everything, just begin again. We're in this together.

Elianor
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
It's definitely a one day at a time process. My big issue is fast food. I adore burgers and fries but making them at home is hard because I have an aversion to touching ground beef and the smell of it cooking makes me nauseous.

I've been trying to make do with kids meals whenever possible and bringing my lunch more often so that I'm not as tempted to "drive thru".

The other problem is that I have an 8 year old and 2 year old who are both picky eaters. It's become like a battlefield every night over dinner and it makes me so tired. I fought with my son for over an hour and he just refused to eat his spaghetti so I finally just gave up. He normally likes spaghetti.

I need to exercise more and Lent is good because I've given up the extra 400 calories per night in wine I usually drink! I think when Lent is over I'm going to try a box wine so that I can't justify drinking half the bottle by saying "well it'll go sour in two days if I don't"! I don't want to give it up entirely since it's so relaxing to have a glass while cooking dinner...but I have to reduce the intake!

Smile4Me
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I am going to expound on what Elianor said about alcoholic drinks of any kind. I gained in college because of them-so did my bf...and we, being in WI, enjoy a couple of beers *or more* every now and then. I have to try harder to stick to the 64 calorie beer or try seltzer and flavored vodka to cut calories. Have two stick thin friends who swear by it...along with all their time on the tread mill :lmao:!
Arms are a big one for me,,I have no upper body strength. So tonight I used leg weights that were sitting around the house to start toning my arms. 5 sets of 10 tonight to start. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Elianor
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Yay! Down a pound!

My sister (the reason for this diet in the first place) is visiting my mom before she heads back to Georgia and is experimenting with grilled tuna steaks. I am making the sweet orange rub with chicken tonight to see how it does. I don't know how her weight is going yet, but she's only cheated once (on bbq) and no fries! I am so proud of her.

I need to start using weights on my arms too. I have the middle aged mommy flab right across the underside of my arm which is *SO* not attractive in short sleeves. Is 5 sets of 10 a good place to start? What weight are you using?

L-Harper
03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I feel like a hypocrite. I have not been very good at all about watching what I've been eating. :( I think a bit of it is nervous/stress eating. I also need to get some ideas of good healthy snacks to have too. POP, pop oh how I hate you, but love you so so much... I have been doing A LOT better with pop, but I gave in this morning and got a coke from McDonald's. I didn't get anything else, just the pop. Why does losing weight have to be so darn hard?! :scared1:

Mickeypooh99
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
It's definitely a one day at a time process. My big issue is fast food. I adore burgers and fries but making them at home is hard because I have an aversion to touching ground beef and the smell of it cooking makes me nauseous.

I've been trying to make do with kids meals whenever possible and bringing my lunch more often so that I'm not as tempted to "drive thru".

The other problem is that I have an 8 year old and 2 year old who are both picky eaters. It's become like a battlefield every night over dinner and it makes me so tired. I fought with my son for over an hour and he just refused to eat his spaghetti so I finally just gave up. He normally likes spaghetti.

I need to exercise more and Lent is good because I've given up the extra 400 calories per night in wine I usually drink! I think when Lent is over I'm going to try a box wine so that I can't justify drinking half the bottle by saying "well it'll go sour in two days if I don't"! I don't want to give it up entirely since it's so relaxing to have a glass while cooking dinner...but I have to reduce the intake!

Wow, I don't drink alcohol very often. I never realized it was so many calories. :scared1: That would not be good for weight loss! Yikes!

My DH gave up fast food for lent. Which is great for me because I usually only get it when I'm with him.

Mickeypooh99
03-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I have been doing great all month on keeping track of my calories. I think the smart phone app is what is keeping me motivated. The graph is green unless you go over your calories. I don't want it to turn red, so I keep myself within my goals.

I really need to get more active though. My DS has been running with me a little each night. We just started this past weekend, and I can't run very far! I'm in really bad shape. I really didn't want to do it last night, but DS kept bugging me. He is great at motivating me.

Elianor
03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I am lucky that I like diet coke! The fully leaded leaves a weird coating on my tongue that freaks me out! But a glass of dark red wine, now that is truly my downfall. They're like potato chips, you can't drink just one! L-Harper, just plan for one if you know you are going to drink it anyway!

The calorie count is at the McDonald's website, so you know how many calories to work off. It can be your dessert! Don't give up the things you love to lose weight because it just sets you up to fail. It seems to me that the key is portion control and balance.

Snacks, hmm. I love popcorn (Alton Brown puts the corn in a paperbag, seals it with tape and presses the microwave popcorn button, voila, airpopped popcorn no added chemicals/flavorings.) I also do alot of soups/stews as snacks. A cup of most soups (non cream based) is low in calories, but very filling (like a mini meal).

Mickey Pooh, you are so lucky to have someone that motivates you out the door! I have an elliptical, but I haven't been on it in months.:confused3

Keeping to the whole grain, few processed foods, no white bread/potatoes/rice diet that my sister has to live by now has motivated me to find more ways of making things I know I love (burgers, fries, chinese food, mexican) in ways that are healthy enough to eat every day.

You just wait, I'm going to be 130 pounds at Disney in September!

pinkle
03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I have been eating good this week but my lack of exercise is awful :confused3 I really don't enjoy the treadmill and have just been able to run outside again and then woke up to a snowstorm:scared1:so to avoid the treadmill I stayed far away from it today and cleaned (it's my day off-woot woot) Oh weather man please co-operate:worship:

Elianor
03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Most of my exercise is housework too. Go to work, come home, cook dinner, chase kids, do dishes, wash clothes, and on...and on...and on...

I love my family but they are nutsy. DS just wished me a merry Christmas and asked me to read aloud from the disboards to him. I love toddlers.

lemonsours
03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Most of my exercise is housework too. Go to work, come home, cook dinner, chase kids, do dishes, wash clothes, and on...and on...and on...

I love my family but they are nutsy. DS just wished me a merry Christmas and asked me to read aloud from the disboards to him. I love toddlers.

One of my favorite things to do with the kids is put on the music and dance! My toddler loves it, he says "shake a booty!" And you can do it while you are cooking, cleaning, doing laundry. :cool1:

Elianor
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Our little boy is 2 and he sings Soul Sister and Cheeseburger in Paradise!
He love to dance too, I think it's the age, they just don't feel self conscious about anything!

Anyway, whenever he sees me with the computer he runs up and demands to see the WDW site so he can watch the "movies". The ads they have on their site are his favorite.

disneychic2
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a new cookbook I got from QVC. It's titled: Eat What you Love. She has taken all the foods we love and re-worked them to have at least half the calories, fat, sodium etc. Everything I've done from it has been fabulous! (and easy) I think the hardest thing is to get motivated to cook something new after a long, stressful day. We usually just rely on old (fattening) stand-bys. At least I do.

You ladies sound so busy with your little ones and work. I have no excuse to skip exercise since I'm an empty nester and work from home very occasionally. I'm finally feeling human again after being sick for nearly two weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to start walking again soon.:thumbsup2

Keep up the good work everyone! It's not only one day at a time, it is sometimes one minute at a time when temptation strikes. Be prepared.:flower3:

Elianor
03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Glad you're starting to feel better! I don't think it's easier for "empty nesters" though. I am pretty sure my kids keep me thinner than I would normally be on my own. (Chasing DS down to pry the lint he's contstantly trying to eat is just one activity that burns my calories off!)

What is your favorite recipe from the cookbook you mentioned, and would you be willing to share it?

jkldesigns
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I joined weight watchers on Friday, its been rough! I am feeling pretty weak and hungry. I think it may have something to do with my hypoglycemia but I am trying to be really careful to spread out my points so I don't every really crash.

I am down 1 pound though :thumbsup2

Princess/es19
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
I am soooo in this!
I want to lose 50 lbs, but not expecting to lose it before our mid Sept trip. I just want to focus on being able to walk around the world and see everything I can, because its going to be our first time seeing it, and because we live 2000 miles away, probably not going back for at least 5 years or so.

I plan on walking our new puppy every day after he gets all his shots, but i follow him around all day in the house anyway, but some clean Oregon air is just what i need to stay healthy:cutie:

We stopped eating out/fast food, but more of a what-can-we-give-up-to-afford-a-trip than a means of losing weight, but it is a bonus!

DH likes the raw food diet, where he eats a calculated amount of fresh fruits and veggies, and while i like that diet/lifestyle, it has its cons. I can't go full 100% without having MASSIVE cravings, but for snacks and one meal a day i can do it. I also like the meal replacement shakes for breakfast since i am not really a breakfast eater.

sorry about the life story!:guilty: I think I need to put my plan on here so I am held to it!

DaniB
03-25-2011, 05:22 AM
We stopped eating out/fast food, but more of a what-can-we-give-up-to-afford-a-trip than a means of losing weight, but it is a bonus!

DH likes the raw food diet, where he eats a calculated amount of fresh fruits and veggies, and while i like that diet/lifestyle, it has its cons. I can't go full 100% without having MASSIVE cravings, but for snacks and one meal a day i can do it. I also like the meal replacement shakes for breakfast since i am not really a breakfast eater.

Last year we stopped the fast food bit for the same reasons. I didn't want to waste the money when we were going to Disney, and DH & I wanted to lose weight. It worked out well for us, but the kids had a hard time with it. ;) We limited them to 2 kid's meals at McD's twice a month. After our trip, that started creeping up and we're cutting fast food out again.

One thing however. My DH has Fridays off (Sun-Thurs) and the kids are still in school. So we treated ourselves at lunch each Friday. It helped keep my cravings under control knowing that I could have a burger & fries or something come Friday! :thumbsup2

We're starting that up again, only this time I'll stick to purchasing the kids meal only at DQ. Smaller portion of food, fulfils my craving, and I'm saving the ice-cream treat coupon for the kids. During the summer the kids & I will walk to DQ weekly so they can redeem a couple for a free ice-cream treat. That will make them happy! And add another 2 1/4 miles to my weekly walk!

I'm such a meat & bread person. It's hard cutting down the bread especially, but it works! We also drink a meal replacement shake for breakfast. Works great for us! DH is always in a rush to work (he prefers to sleep as long as possible), and I'm trying to get 5 kids fed & off to school (my own & daycare). I have something small once I get back to school and wait until lunch to actually eat.

On the bright side, Thursday nights are my weigh-in nights. And I lost 2.2 lbs this week! :goodvibes

disneychic2
03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Glad you're starting to feel better! I don't think it's easier for "empty nesters" though. I am pretty sure my kids keep me thinner than I would normally be on my own. (Chasing DS down to pry the lint he's contstantly trying to eat is just one activity that burns my calories off!)

What is your favorite recipe from the cookbook you mentioned, and would you be willing to share it?

Absolutely willing to share! There are a lot a great recipes but my favorite so far is Best Oven-Fried Chicken. It looks complicated, due to all the spices that makes the ingredient list pretty long. But it is simple and really gives that great crunch we all love. I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cook it for 30 to 35 minutes. They call for bone in which is cheaper and I plan to try that next time.

2 lg egg whites
1/2 tsp garlic pdr
1/2 tsp onion pdr
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp gr. sage
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 1/4 cups corn flake cereal
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tblsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 lbs. skinned chicken pieces

Preheat oven to 400 Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.

In a shallow bowl, whisk tog the egg whites with the garlic pdr, onion pdr, cayenne, sage and thyme.

Place the cereal in a plastic bag and crush thoroughly with a rolling pin. (I just go ahead and use the boxed corn flake crumbs) Place in a shallow bowl and mix together with the bread crumbs, pepper and salt.

Place the flour in a third shallow bowl. (I always need more flour for some reason.)

To bread the chicken pieces, first dredge the chicken in the flour to coat. Next, dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, followed by the crumb mixture, making sure to cover all surfaces. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.

Place the chicken pieces on the prepared rack and bake for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and registers 180 when testd with a meat thermometer in the thickest part.

Calories: 255, Carbs 13g, sugar 1g, total fat 8g (sat fat 2g), Protein 32g, sodium 325mg

Food exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch
Carbohydrate choices - 1
WW point comparison - 6

disneychic2
03-25-2011, 08:02 AM
On the bright side, Thursday nights is my weight-in night. And I lost 2.2 lbs this week! :goodvibes

Good for you!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Dairy Queen is my downfall. I LOVE ice cream! Keep up the good work!:thumbsup2

Elianor
03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Neat recipe. I've done something similar but never with just egg whites and I haven't dredged in flour first...I wonder if that helps keep the coating on? My kids *love* chicken nuggets so I can probably adjust this to work for that.

Kid's meals are the way to go with fast food! You get just enough to satisfy the craving but the calories are manageable.

I splurged yesterday on half a burger at Ecco lounge (a neat bar here in Jefferson City, MO) and half an order of German potato nachos. It really upset my stomach though and I had a hard time sleeping. I've noticed that when I eat a bit too much, I get a horrible feeling (like I swallowed a softball and it's lodged against my solar plexis).

Oh, and the sweet orange rub which was so fabulous on tilapia, was totally MEH on chicken. The rub was developed for salmon and it was wonderful on tilapia but the chicken just didnt' compliment the flavor at all. :confused3

Finally, I love life stories!!! I get to know new people all over the country who also love disney!

Princess/es19
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Finally, I love life stories!!! I get to know new people all over the country who also love disney!
:) awesome! I'm really glad I found this forum! It's more than helping plan our first trip to the world. Its meeting amazing people with similar interests and goals :cloud9: But i need to do less of this : :surfweb: and more of this :yay:

The one thing that motivates me to eat better is when i work out i try and estimate how much calories i burn. When I see how small that number is in comparison to the fast food meal, it makes me think "did i just spend an hour working out to GAIN weight by eating this? :sad2:"

pinkle
03-26-2011, 06:30 AM
[I've been busy and am out of the loop a bit!!! :laundy: Do we have a weigh in day??? (not revealing our weight)...just to keep us on track? I weighed myself this morning........same :scared1: I must get ready for work, I 'll check back later. I hope everyone has a great day....stay focused, weekends are hard popcorn::

Mickeypooh99
03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
[I've been busy and am out of the loop a bit!!! :laundy: Do we have a weigh in day??? (not revealing our weight)...just to keep us on track? I weighed myself this morning........same :scared1: I must get ready for work, I 'll check back later. I hope everyone has a great day....stay focused, weekends are hard popcorn::

I weighed myself this morning too. I was down 1 more pound. Which means I have met my march goal. :banana:

Now on to my April goal!! I really need to stay motivated!

pinkle
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
:rolleyes:[SIZE="3"][/I just can't psyc myself ro go on the treadmill (it's too c-c-c-cold outside...snow) so i did my Physique 57 30 minute workout.....it's not too bad. What does everyone else do??SIZE]

Elianor
03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I use an elliptical and walk our German Shepherd mix in the evenings. Keeping him on the road and not haring off through the woods after deer/rabbits/squirrels/birds etc. is a heck of a workout!

I also count cleaning my house. I figure I'm on my feet moving and bending so it has to count for something, yes?

I am not so good with workout tapes. I feel self conscious with the family around and my kids are always trying to squeeze in and do whatever I'm doing....which is problematic when you are trying to work out and all of a sudden your eight year old is right next to you trying to copy your movements!

I'm down about 3 pounds overall since the end of last month, which is great considering the work stress I've been under lately. (The budget resolutions have been affecting the work of alot of non-profit agencies.) We just don't know if we will be de-funded, have level funding, or face a partial cut. It's hard to know what to plan for right now.

I have a pretty good attitude, but my spouse has a job with that would support us if something happened to my income and many of my collegues aren't in the same place financially.

I think I will splurge on pasta tonight (and a spinach salad).

DaniB
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Good for you!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Dairy Queen is my downfall. I LOVE ice cream! Keep up the good work!:thumbsup2

Thanks. Ironically I can take it or leave it when it comes to ice cream. :) I'm so glad DQ has the new mini blizzards here now. They are just my size. Even though I don't have one often. Every Friday I'm craving my kids' size cheeseburger & onion rings, and lemon-lime artic rush! :rotfl:

[Do we have a weigh in day??? (not revealing our weight)...just to keep us on track? I weighed myself this morning........same :scared1:

That sounds like a good idea. I currently get weighed Thursdays and have to keep reminding myself 2 more days - no fast food & no snacks! :rotfl:

Ohh, mail just arrived. I wonder if there's anything good in it today. Yesterday my DS7 (on the 3rd) received his yearly b-day card from Pizza Pizza. I totally forgot about it! He was thrilled. He not only received the usual coupon for a free slice & drink, but a little board game with it. I'm happy the coupon is extended to the end of the year instead of just 1 month.

I haven't told my daughter yet, but this will be her last year for free pizza & drink from Pizza Pizza as she's turning 12. :scared1: When the heck did she get so old???

Elianor
03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
wow, it's gotten quiet out here. Anyone need some motivation?

We made it through the predicted snow and it's supposed to clear up and be in the mid 50s here in mid-Missouri today. I plan to get out in my yard and burn some calories picking up sticks to prepare for...mowing! Pretty soon now, the grass is going to come up and require cutting!

I have to pick up milk at the store so I am going to have tostadas for dinner tonight. (Corn tortillas sprayed with cooking spray and baked at 450 til crisp, then topped with black beans and a little 2% cheese and popped back in to melt, then served with fresh pico.) It's healthy nachos!

Weight is holding steady but this weekend is going to be a mad rush of projects so I anticipate a small loss! I am only 6 pounds away from my goal at this point.:woohoo:

ThereYouSeeHer
03-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I haven't really been trying at all! I find it so much easier to be motivated in warm, sunny weather. So I kind of keep waiting for that to happen! We were teased with great weather for a little while, but now it's dark and raining today and tomorrow. I need my sunshine!

pinkle
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I went for a 4km jog today...and have been eating pretty good....i think i will make my weigh in day on Thursday...anyone want to join me and then we can say if we maintained or are up or down, a kind of accountability. :confused3

disneychic2
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
I got a great workout in yesterday playing in the snow with my DGD age 3. Up and down the hill with the sled. Only fell a couple of times! Then we built a snowman together. Of course, the hot chocolate I made with milk, Ghirardelli chocolate and whipped cream probably negated any workout benefit!

Elianor
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Sunshine would definitely help me too. I went home from work last night and crawled into bed. I've had a sinus headache for two days now and I'm just tired of it. I may leave work early and just go and try to melt the congestion in a hot shower. :headache:

I was still feeling bad when I got up last night and ate a peanut butter sandwich for dinner! Not great but hardly a calorie bomb either!

If I do get home early I'm going to thaw out some whole wheat pizza dough (Wolfgang Puck is a kitchen god!) and make some pepperoni pizzas with turkey pepperoni and 2% mozzerella. DD came home last night with all A's on her report card and deserves a treat for it!

Oh, did anyone catch the "gifted" vs. average debate on the community boards yesterday? I guess I knew that the Dis had crazies too, but wow, that was an eye opener.

sahmoffour
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Joining in!!! We're heading for our first trip to WDW on Sept.21, staying at saratoga! After battling some hormonal imbalances all winter, I've gained 40 lbs! I've been pretty thin my whole life, so right now I feel horrible about the way I look at just want the weight OFF now that I'm starting to feel better from the hormonal imbalance leveling out!

Right now I just have no motivation to exercise whatsoever, but I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my calorie intake, and trying to get moving more around the house and not be such a couch potato! I'd really love it if I could fit back into my summer clothes, as we can't afford to buy me a new wardrobe after paying for Disney!

disneychic2
04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
:welcome: How exciting to be planning your first trip! Good luck with the weight loss!

DaniB
04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I went for a 4km jog today...and have been eating pretty good....i think i will make my weigh in day on Thursday...anyone want to join me and then we can say if we maintained or are up or down, a kind of accountability. :confused3

I will! I currently get weighed on Thursdays as it is. This weekend found my budget & diet blown to pieces... :sad2:

My son's birthday and somehow I spent more than I meant to on his birthday party. And between the pizza, garlic bread & birthday cake... ugh. It's a good thing tomorrow is Monday. On school days I walk 2.8 miles.

Anyways, last Thursday came & went. While I lost weight the previous Thursday, I gained this Thursday past. I'm blaming it on a monthly visitor however. ;)

tukogirl
04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I've jumped over from the September 2011 thread too!

My goal is to lose 4 pounds a month until then. I know I can lose more than that but I have a tendency to get wayyy obsessive about everything for about 3 months and then totally burn out and quit. So the goal is slow and steady. I won't quite be where I want to be by then, but I'll be down a lot and close, so 4 pounds a month is good.

We tried the taco muffin recipe from the biggest loser website this morning. they were good! Not really taco-y, more omlettey with some salsa. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. It's kinda hard to find on the BL website. 235 calories for two omeletty mufffins.

Post more snack ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Elianor
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I have to hit the store today for supplies. Snackwise this week, I am going to go with laughing cow light and some whole grain crackers and an apple for my 2pm sugar crash.

I will probably pick up some frozen lunches for convenience sake this week (or soup, I do like soup). Breakfast is peanut butter puffins and skim milk. Oh, I do love puffins cereal! :o)

Dinners are going to be rough though. DS has swim lessons on Tuesday and Thursday starting this week and that means dinner has to be quick and easy, yet still healthy. I may do a batch of red beans and rice with turkey sausage on Tuesday and corndogs for the kids on Thursday (turkey club sandwich for me and DH on whole wheat).

I am also planning on trying the chicken tenders this week!

abbyandkatiesmommy
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
:yay:

disneychic2
04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I bought a book at Sam's club called 150 Healthiest 15-Minute Recipes on Earth. I haven't made anything yet as I've had house guests and didn't want to experiment with them. But the recipes look really good and easy. To me, that's a big plus when I'm trying to do healthy menus. It's just so hard to change a lifetime of cooking!

pinkle
04-06-2011, 07:04 AM
I have really up'd my veggie intake and getting trying to get lowfat protein and have cut down on carbs....I was down 2 lbs today :lovestruc

ThereYouSeeHer
04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I have really up'd my veggie intake and getting trying to get lowfat protein and have cut down on carbs....I was down 2 lbs today :lovestrucCongrats to you and everyone else who has been losing weight and meeting goals!

I'm kind of down 2 lbs, but I usually only count in 4 or 5 pound increments. For me, anything less than that comes and goes as water weight too easily. But I know once I've lost a solid 4 or 5, it's for real! Hopefully, I'll make that announcement sooner than later! :yay:

Elianor
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
For me, anything less than that comes and goes as water weight too easily.

I have the same problem. I fluctuate 2 or 3 pounds in a day between morning and evening. I've started weighing myself at the same time every morning to track progress. The scale's moved down a solid 3 pounds since the first of March but I've been lax so I need to get serious again.

I took DS to his first swim lesson last night and I have found the best arm workout ever! Holding a 40 pound toddler in front of you for half an hour in water is killer for your arms and shoulders!

I've also been reducing my carb intake and trying to be aware of the quality of carbohydrates I'm eating (whole grains vs. not for example).

It's challenging to sort through all the information out there to find what is good to know and what is just "pop" science!

Mickeypooh99
04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I try to weigh myself at the same time each morning too.

This week has been super hard for me. The boys are on spring break, and we have been going out a lot doing things. When we are out and about, and we get hungry we end up eating out. Then I have a hard time finding something I want that is low calorie.

I guess the good thing is we walked all around a museum on Monday so lots of walking, and then yesterday we took a 2 hour hike at our local recreation area. I had only planned on hiking an hour, but the boys kept asking to go a little further until we had hiked an hour in, and had to turn around and come all the way back. Thank goodness for the energy of my 9 and 10 year old boys! :thumbsup2

pinkle
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I try to weigh myself at the same time each morning too.

This week has been super hard for me. The boys are on spring break, and we have been going out a lot doing things. When we are out and about, and we get hungry we end up eating out. Then I have a hard time finding something I want that is low calorie.

I guess the good thing is we walked all around a museum on Monday so lots of walking, and then yesterday we took a 2 hour hike at our local recreation area. I had only planned on hiking an hour, but the boys kept asking to go a little further until we had hiked an hour in, and had to turn around and come all the way back. Thank goodness for the energy of my 9 and 10 year old boys! :thumbsup2
:thumbsup2Good for you...it kind be so hard when we get out of rooutine. I love hiking :love: it's exercise that doesn't feel like exercise!!!!!

JacksLilWench
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm a September 2011 traveler! :cool1: My DM and I are headed down there the week of the 18th-24th, staying at CBR. And I am determined to be at least two sizes smaller when I get there!! So count me in!

I have made a pledge to work out three times a week at least, cut out soda, add a LOT more water, and cut out junk food entirely. It definitely won't be the easiest thing I've ever done, but I have no doubt is will be the most rewarding :) I'll be posting here, and I also have a WISH journal if you have any comments or suggestions...or if you're bored and have nothing better to read, lol! Here's the link:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2685191

I do want to say that this is probably the most supportive group of people I've ever been a part of- and I can't wait to share my success with you, and yours with me!

Elianor
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
What a horrible day. Pastry for breakfast, Fast food for lunch, and candy in between. I need to get back on track for dinner at least and the past day or so has just been stressful.

4 Missouri state senators are trying to cut a deal to allow federal funding for unemployment to come through if we cut money to weatherize low income housing. Weatherization actually improves health and safety of homes (not just the cost of heating and cooling) and most of the people who are prioritized on the list have children or are elderly.

Sorry, I don't know what people's opinions are on this list, but the stress of constantly having to justify why we spend money on mitigating the effects of poverty is driving me to french fries and potato chips over and over again.

I must stop allowing Congress and the Missouri state legislature to make me fat.:mad:

JacksLilWench
04-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Sorry, I don't know what people's opinions are on this list, but the stress of constantly having to justify why we spend money on mitigating the effects of poverty is driving me to french fries and potato chips over and over again.

I must stop allowing Congress and the Missouri state legislature to make me fat.:mad:

I think a lot of people can agree (regardless of party lines) that the government doesn't usually make sense. I wish politicians were more far-sighted than they are!

I hope you were able to save your evening with dinner. Sometimes, that can be the one saving grace of my whole day. Sometimes if I reach for potato chips, it's really just because I'm craving something salty- so instead I slice up a cucumber and put some vinegar and oil on them. Vinegar has been proven to aid in weight loss, and if you use olive oil, it has omega-3's. Then add the cucumber and it totally works for you! :)

Elianor
04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks JacksLilWench!

I got alot of exercise this weekend! We took down a bunch of small *trash* trees and I raked and hauled 8 huge piles of old oak leaves (I have an enormous yard to keep clean...or fail to keep clean is more correct!)

This is going to be a very active week so as long as I can keep on track with the right foods, it will be a good week to lose! DS has swim lessons two nights this week which requires me to get into the pool and move, then we are having company this weekend which will require cleaning the guest rooms and picking up the living areas, and I still have some planting and yard clean up to achieve!

I am on track and feeling pretty good. How about you guys?

Mickeypooh99
04-12-2011, 12:52 PM
We were cutting down trees this past weekend too. I hauled a lot of brush, and wood. We always cut a lot of wood over the summer to heat our house in the winter. I'm sure I burned some calories! I took a long walk yesterday too.

It was 80 degrees here in Michigan on Sunday! The bad news is our local ice cream place opened up for the season, and of course we went for ice cream Sunday night. :rotfl: Other than that, I have been doing great. I lost 1 more pound. A little closer to my goal.

BelleBete
04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
It's been two steps forward, one step back here. I started using SparkPeople again, and by counting calories and exercising 6 days a week I lost 6 lbs over two weeks :cool1:. Then I made Mexican hot chocolate cake this past Sunday...and let's just say calorie counting went out the window. Once the cake is gone I'll get back on track. I hope :).

My biggest struggle is not baking sweets. I love making cakes and cookies and it's been hard to stop. I've decided this would be a good time to learn how to bake bread instead.

ThereYouSeeHer
04-12-2011, 09:17 PM
It's been two steps forward, one step back here. I started using SparkPeople again, and by counting calories and exercising 6 days a week I lost 6 lbs over two weeks :cool1:. Then I made Mexican hot chocolate cake this past Sunday...and let's just say calorie counting went out the window. Once the cake is gone I'll get back on track. I hope :).

My biggest struggle is not baking sweets. I love making cakes and cookies and it's been hard to stop. I've decided this would be a good time to learn how to bake bread instead.I love baking, but it's too tempting to eat my creations, so I don't except for holidays! But, if you must, try making really small batches. Also, I love making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies because I load the recipe with oats instead of flour and you can use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. You can also add nuts for bulk and protein. You can also try using healthier substitutes like apple sauce for oil, margarine instead of butter, wheat flour instead of white flour, etc. etc.

PixieMama
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Count me in, please!

I've set a goal to lose 2 lbs per week until I leave for my September trip... making a total weight loss goal of 40 lbs by 9/3.

I've been at it a week, and managed to lose 3.2 lbs! While I wish I could say it was due to my diligent hard work, it was mostly because I was sick last week.

Snacking is my major downfall. I tend to skip breakfast... sometimes it could be 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon before I get around to eating something. We usually eat dinner around 5 or 5:30, so I'm typically not that hungry since I've just eaten a few hours before. Which means by the time 9:30 or 10:00 rolls around, I'm famished and standing in front of the pantry, looking for a snack.

I'm also a self-described Coca-Cola addict. I'm trying to cut back (there's no way I could quit cold turkey!) and drink more water. Trying to limit myself to just 2 Cokes per day, but sometimes it's hard!

JacksLilWench
04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Count me in, please!

I've set a goal to lose 2 lbs per week until I leave for my September trip... making a total weight loss goal of 40 lbs by 9/3.

I've been at it a week, and managed to lose 3.2 lbs! While I wish I could say it was due to my diligent hard work, it was mostly because I was sick last week.

Snacking is my major downfall. I tend to skip breakfast... sometimes it could be 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon before I get around to eating something. We usually eat dinner around 5 or 5:30, so I'm typically not that hungry since I've just eaten a few hours before. Which means by the time 9:30 or 10:00 rolls around, I'm famished and standing in front of the pantry, looking for a snack.

I'm also a self-described Coca-Cola addict. I'm trying to cut back (there's no way I could quit cold turkey!) and drink more water. Trying to limit myself to just 2 Cokes per day, but sometimes it's hard!

OH NO!! :scared1: You can't skip breakfast!!! That's the most important meal of the day!! If you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism doesn't get any kind of start, which can be worse than the wrong kind of start! I used to not be a breakfast person, and so I started with just simple stuff: cereal with a piece of fruit, or some oatmeal. But you gotta have something! I did have to work on becoming a breakfast person though.

But I can't help you with the Coke thing, lol!!

ThereYouSeeHer
04-19-2011, 05:58 AM
I tend to skip breakfast... sometimes it could be 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon before I get around to eating something. We usually eat dinner around 5 or 5:30, so I'm typically not that hungry since I've just eaten a few hours before. Which means by the time 9:30 or 10:00 rolls around, I'm famished and standing in front of the pantry, looking for a snack.Wow, this is exactly how my day sounds!

PixieMama
04-19-2011, 09:56 AM
OH NO!! :scared1: You can't skip breakfast!!! That's the most important meal of the day!! If you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism doesn't get any kind of start, which can be worse than the wrong kind of start! I used to not be a breakfast person, and so I started with just simple stuff: cereal with a piece of fruit, or some oatmeal. But you gotta have something! I did have to work on becoming a breakfast person though.

I know, I know! I've even heard that you should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

I'm trying to do better at eating breakfast, even if it's just a bowl of cereal or a granola bar. That's my next challenge... to get in the habit of becoming a "breakfast person"! I have a feeling that's something I'll have to work hard at, too!

JacksLilWench
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I know, I know! I've even heard that you should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

This is one I've always wanted to try, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't like a big breakfast, so instead I eat a bigger lunch with lots of veggies, and then a small dinner, usually a piece of fish with some jasmine rice...at least I try to eat like this every day!!

Another trick I learned is about hunger vs. thirst. In your brain, the two centers that tell you you're hungry or thirsty are right next to each other, and sometimes get confused. So next time you think you're hungry, you might just be thirsty instead! Have about 8oz. of water and then wait about 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, you'll know it :thumbsup2

dizzydrop
05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Can I join please....We are going to WDW from the 19th-28th and I wanna lose some weight first. We have almost 19 weeks before vacation and I'd like to lose 25lbs. My journey begins today, and I'm gonna lose some of this a$$, lol!!!
I have an elliptical but in the last two weeks the resistance broke so it only stays on level 1. I haven't been on it much lately but it all starts today!!!!
Good luck to all of you ladies! I'm gonna need some support from this site!!

MamaJessie
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
OK, so I tracked the thread down :) I really need to lose weight, the weather is getting warm and my ticker is getting smaller :woohoo: what more motivation is there? Oh that's right, the dr. told me to :rolleyes1

So, I will check out the thread later to see what I missed but I am on board and looking to chat with others who are in the same boat :thumbsup2

L-Harper
05-24-2011, 10:41 PM
It looks like this thread has nearly died. Let's revive it! I surely need to get off my bum since we leave in 3 and a half months. I want to love the family photos we take that I'm in...

Beth921
05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
:cool1:
I'm in!
We're checking in on August 28. I have a bit of weight to lose before then and would love a support thread.
I'm still about 39 pounds away from my goal, which sounds like a lot. But when I'm actually eating decently, it's not unreasonable. But honestly, I'll be pretty thrilled being down about 30 more before we go.

MamaJessie
05-25-2011, 06:41 AM
LHarper - the picture thing is a good point. We take so many pics at WDW. The sun is actually coming out today so I am going to take a walk with the kids and stay outside. I plan on walking to subway for lunch. The girls and I can split a $5 sub.

Off to go drink some water. I am TERRIBLE about that.

PixieMama
05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I need to get back on board with this, too. Since my initial post in this thread, I've actually gained 1.2 pounds... GRRRRRRRR!!! :mad:

MamaJessie
05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
So we didn't split a sub, I got one and they got one, but I skipped the cheese, the fatty sauce and loaded it with veggies. Yay for oven roasted chick breast, and a subway in walking distance.

Did some yard work and drank more water.

Does anyone here follow an exercise schedule? I know my usual zero minutes zero days is a week (ever since I quit dancing) is no good, just wondering what is a more "normal" goal.

PixieMama
05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
MamaJessie, good choices on skipping the cheese and adding more veggies to your sub!

I don't have a set exercise routine or schedule. Though I probably should! I do try to get out and walk a few times a week. I was in the habit of dropping my kids off at school in the mornings and then going to a local park to walk the track. Now that school is out, I haven't been able to do that.

mikkiwikki
05-28-2011, 02:08 PM
:cool1:
I'm in!
We're checking in on August 28. I have a bit of weight to lose before then and would love a support thread.
I'm still about 39 pounds away from my goal, which sounds like a lot. But when I'm actually eating decently, it's not unreasonable. But honestly, I'll be pretty thrilled being down about 30 more before we go.

Yeah! we are going about a week before you...IM kinda annoyed I didnt lose the # I wanted before this trip..If I could take off 7 by Aug 18 I would be psyched. Glad there is someone else on my same time frame.

Maybe we can inspire one another...:cool1:

ThereYouSeeHer
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone! Let's see if we can get this thread going again. We're almost to Disney Time!

I've lost 5 pounds of my 15 pound goal. Considering we started this thread in March, that's 5 pounds in 4 months. Uh oh! :scared1:

I know I WILL hit my goal, but I've got to step it up a notch over the next month by doing some of these: :yay: and less of these: popcorn::.

AquaDame
08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
So we didn't split a sub, I got one and they got one, but I skipped the cheese, the fatty sauce and loaded it with veggies. Yay for oven roasted chick breast, and a subway in walking distance.

Did some yard work and drank more water.

Does anyone here follow an exercise schedule? I know my usual zero minutes zero days is a week (ever since I quit dancing) is no good, just wondering what is a more "normal" goal.

Looks like this is pretty old but I don't think it was answered... the canned response is at least 30 minutes of exercise every day at minimum but the more the better (without causing injury). It used to be 3x a week I think but they changed the guidelines as we as a nation became more sedentary and gained weight.

Start low, take it slow, and try not to work the same muscle group in a row - if you run one day, try to do something that works more upper body muscles the next day, or at least an exercise that doesn't target your calves as much.

Currently we are running 3x a week - two days of 30 minutes and then a distance run on the weekend ala Jeff Galloway in preparation for a half marathon. I SHOULD be doing my Jillian 30 day shred exercise video on the 'off' days but I haven't been very good about that part yet - the video tends to work my whole body so I've been worried about overdoing my legs (which feel like jelly after my runs sometimes!)

They say 30 is for people who just want health benefits, 60 for people who need more than that to see results, and 90 a day for people who need to lose a lot of weight and want to keep it off. You don't need to do it all at once in a day though, its cumulative (but that still seems like a lot!)

Smile4Me
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
My boyfriend and I started a dated spreadsheet. We get to put an x for everyday that we exercise 30 minutes. I think we need to up it, because we've gotten pretty good at it..and he has bought some new gym clothes to keep at work, and has started walking 30 to 60 minutes during his lunch hour too!
We miss days like everyone else, but it feels good to mark it off, and to look back and see how many days in a row we made our goal!

neilam
08-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Nice thread friends,... I was seeing this forum for a week and now I have joined this forum and I am happy to be a part of this forum and I am very fond of trip to Disney land.Hope i will soon go for their.

knightgrl25
12-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Hello All!
I'm going on a Disney cruise in October and I'm gonna try to lose 40 pounds by then! I just started Weight Watchers again and the 30 day shred. Love it. :)

hops&dreams
01-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Hello All!
I'm going on a Disney cruise in October and I'm gonna try to lose 40 pounds by then! I just started Weight Watchers again and the 30 day shred. Love it. :)

How are you doing on the shred? I just started doing it again yesterday.

knightgrl25
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
How are you doing on the shred? I just started doing it again yesterday.

I love it! I normally do a level plus 2 circuits of another level just to make it 40 minutes. I switch days between that and the firm. How are you liking it?

hops&dreams
01-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I love it! I normally do a level plus 2 circuits of another level just to make it 40 minutes. I switch days between that and the firm. How are you liking it?

I'm doing it the regular way, and doing it every day, including weekends. I missed last night, so I'm doubling up today... Once in the morning and again in the evening. I do 3 lb weights for the first 3 days of a level, then do 5 lb weights for days/workouts 4-7, then do 8 lbs for days 8-10.

I've done it before and am not as sore as last time. Maybe I'm more fit now than last time I did it?

I'm only on day 4, but I feel like my "muffin top" is smaller. Dh says I'm just imagining it. ???

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

knightgrl25
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm doing it the regular way, and doing it every day, including weekends. I missed last night, so I'm doubling up today... Once in the morning and again in the evening. I do 3 lb weights for the first 3 days of a level, then do 5 lb weights for days/workouts 4-7, then do 8 lbs for days 8-10.

I've done it before and am not as sore as last time. Maybe I'm more fit now than last time I did it?

I'm only on day 4, but I feel like my "muffin top" is smaller. Dh says I'm just imagining it. ???

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I've noticed that too. The very first time I started the shred I couldn't move the next day I was so sore! This time around I'm having to work extra to feel sore.

I'm impressed by your weights! I usually don't use any for her because its so hard. When I do I use 5 pound weights.

The first week you usually lose a lot more weight then you will normally so I'm sure you're not just imagining it!! I love doing the shred, it makes me feel much better!

irishsymphony
07-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I plan to read my way all through this thread when I get home.

Im on final day of Jason Vales 7lbs in 7 days diet, and off to Rome for the weekend but when I get home, I want to avoid falling back into my old eating habits and instead start up healthy.. Im a big fan of bread, potatoes, pasta etc!!

turkey1031
01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I decided the week of Halloween that I was going to lose 30 lbs by my June trip. Well by New Years I had already lost 20 lbs and 3 pants sizes. I still need to lose at least another 10lbs for me to be satisfied. I guess that means I should start doing some form of exercise. I'm just so lazy and unmotivated. I have learned a couple of cheats to make a healthier version of some of my favorites. Using eggplant instead of noodles for lasagna. Roasting cauliflower florets until golden for a popcorn substitute. I don't even like cauliflower but mash it up with a little garlic and it's a great substitute for mashed potatoes. I also enjoy butternut squash instead of potatoes for stews or shepards pie. I really want to get a spirooli. It can take a zucchini and turn it into spiral noodles so I can have a healthy "spaghetti" and meatballs. It also would make curly fries out of potatoes but I'm avoiding starch.
I do wish I had a house because maybe then I'd have room for a treadmill or elliptical. There's just no room in the apartment. Also not really enough room to do exercise videos properly.