PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their house on the market?

gigi1976
03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
We have had our house on the market for 8 days and I'm depressed already! We have only had one couple look at, granted they have looked twice, but I hoped to see more traffic! We have it priced really aggressively to get it sold for a job relocation, so I thought we would see more by now. Our agent is blaming it on Mardi Gras, St Patricks Day and gloomy cold rainy weather, but I'm still depressed! Do you think those reasons are viable or is there something else I should do?

GaSleepingBeautyFan
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
My neighbor had theirs on the market for a month and only had 1 showing. They've pulled it off the market and plan on trying again in Mid-May.

Their agent said it's just really, really slow right now.

I will miss them if they move. They are great neighbors.

Debbie7452
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM
8 days? The real estate market is in a shambles. Our house was on the market for two years before it sold, after an 80,000 price reduction. We had very badly overpriced our home right before the real estate market crashed, so I take some of the blame for it taking that long. I hope you have better luck.

Frannie115
03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Our house was also on the market for almost 2 years. Started at $310K and finally sold at $250K. It was valued at $300K. This was in 2009. I don't think the market has changed much.

I believe the average days on market for our area now is about 10 months. A showing in the first 8 days is great. Don't be too surprised if it's weeks in between showings. I know it can get depressing, believe me.

But....you never know. It only takes one buyer :goodvibes

J3nn78
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but you better prepare yourself for MANY months on the market and then have the chance of being pleasantly surprised if it goes sooner. In my area, the houses on the market have been there for 1-2 years with very few of them selling. THe house we just bought was on the market for just under 2 years.

minnie1928
03-12-2011, 08:22 PM
It totally depends on the area. A good friend of mine listed her house in early February and had a great offer within 2 weeks (97% of listing price).

But as far as your agent blaming it on St. Pats, Mardi Gras, etc. I think that's a bunch of bull. If someone is truly serious about buying a house, and a serious contender comes onto the market I would think that they are going to go check it out. I'd blame it more on the trend that people like to move more over the summer (so kids are out of school) and right now it's a bit early to buy with that thought in mind.

gigi1976
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but you better prepare yourself for MANY months on the market and then have the chance of being pleasantly surprised if it goes sooner. In my area, the houses on the market have been there for 1-2 years with very few of them selling. THe house we just bought was on the market for just under 2 years.

Actually in some twisted, messed up way that makes me feel better! Like okay I overreacted, my house isn't terrible, I just need to be patient. I can do that, I think! It's just hard keeping it clean with 3 kids and knowing my DH is starting his new job soon. Thanks all for your advice!

fairestoneofall
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
i wouldn't be too worried after eight days--that isn't long at all.

we put ours on the market in November, right before Thanksgiving. we knew it would be slow at that time because of the holidays. our showings started to pick up in late January.

our realtor works with a pretty big office. they have a caravan of realtors from the closest office come through. when we did that, our showings definitely picked up. i don't know if that's something that your realtor's office does or not--it's worth asking.

good luck to you! :thumbsup2

Belle & Ariel
03-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't know what part of STL you are in. We lived in West County and listed with an agent we had used and really liked a few years prior. I did not know it but she had alienated a lot of people who would not show her listings. She of course made many excuses why the market was slow such as you are hearing.
I got out of that listing thankfully. Another agent suggested I list for more than it was but we were desparate to sell, kept it at the same price, and got a contract in about 10 days with the new agent.
PM me if you want more info.
Good luck with your sale and move!

Sinderelly
03-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Our house has been on the market 20 days and has had one showing. The couple that looked at our house LOVED it but they want to look at houses for a couple months before they make a decision. The market is really slow right now. I am also impatient :rolleyes1 The Mardi Gras St Patricks excuses sound a little strange to me. OP I hope we both get some pixie dust and our houses sell very soon.

Where'sPiglet?
03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Is Mardi Gras a big deal in St. Louis? Mardi Gras could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for not looking at a house here, but in St. Louis? :confused3

For what it's worth, I looked at houses in gloomy weather, the day after a heavy rainstorm. It turned out to be a great time to look at houses because it made some drainage issues apparent at some of the houses we saw. So, I don't think weather is a particularly valid excuse either.

Late spring and summer are supposedly the busiest times for house sales; like a PP said, families with children are trying to move in between school years. I would just try to be patient. I know it's difficult. Growing up we moved a few times and I always hated when the house was on the market because we had to clean ALL THE TIME. :headache: Once we had my dad move for the job and we stayed behind until the end of the school year, and another time we all left the house behind and moved before it sold. Both times, we used furnished apartments to bridge the gap. The first time, it was just my dad in the apartment in the new location, the second time it was the whole family.

My parent's house is on the market now. They are also getting very few showings. The house is priced well, staged well, and has good photos available online. There are just a lot of comparable houses for sale and not a lot of qualified buyers.

If there is a way to get feedback from the couple that looked twice but didn't want it, that could be valuable information. Good luck!

shelwoj
03-13-2011, 07:55 AM
We have ours listed right now and it's been on the market for one month. We've not had anyone come to the house but we've had a LOT of online traffic. Our agent feels that things will pick up when the weather gets better.

We're lucky that 1) we aren't underwater in our mortgage 2) we already have our next house and 3) next house is already paid for. Since we're not moving until our son graduates I'm not getting too antsy.

We met a professor yesterday at Capital University whose family is still in Chicago because they haven't been able to sell their house. It's been on the market almost a year.

Just hang in there, it'll work out eventually. That's what I keep telling DH anyway!

Darcy03231
03-13-2011, 08:16 AM
I have friends who are realtors and the average listing time where I live is 9 months to a year. Of course, there are exceptions to that, but that's the average. Some houses can go months without a showing and then have 2 or 3 right in a row. There's a lot of houses out on the market and not a lot of qualified buyers. Unless you've priced your house well under market value or there is something that makes it extremely attractive to buyers, be prepared for it to take a while.

Some things you can do, if you haven't already, declutter, move half the stuff out of your closets and cabinets (makes them look bigger), fresh paint, depersonalize, move stuff off your counters, take out any unnecessary furniture (makes the rooms look bigger), clean out the garage (if you have one). You might need to rent a storage unit, but it will help your house show better.

We plan to put our house on the market within the next five years and these aer some of the things realtors have told me. We're very lucky that we live in a pocket of the city where homes tend to move pretty quickly if they're priced for the market because we're in the area with the in demand elementary, middle and high schools and there's only one small area with all three.

Eeyore1928
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
We had our house on market for 2 years....have it off now. We are getting ready to put it back on, but for sale by owner. That way we can lower the price 20,000 right from the start ( realtor commission). Hoping this helps:confused3

jackskellingtonsgirl
03-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Friends of ours put their house on the market last Feb. and finally took it off last Oct. They put it back on last month. I think they have had 2 showings in the past 2 weeks. They have it priced lower than it was when they took it off the market last year, it is in a FABULOUS neighborhood, but the market is squishy. There are 2 other houses on their street for sale and those aren't doing anything either.

mom4graceandlogan
03-13-2011, 09:25 AM
In this market one showing in 8 days is great! My house has been for sale for 10 months and I doubt we will be able to sell it in the next six months. Things are really bad here. I also have 3 kids and it has been the worst year of my life trying to get it ready for showings and not knowing anyone will come. I have a 2 year old boy that trashes it as soon as I clean it and agents are bad about giving very little notice even though they are supposed to give at least 2 hours notice. They have literally called from the driveway.My husband is changing jobs. Same company but he was in a position where he worked from home 2 days a week. Now he has to go to office 5 days a week with a 3 plus hour commute so we really need to move. He is replacing someone that moved here from Charlotte and has not been able to sell his house in over a year and he has been living in a hotel and only seeing his family on weekends. It is so bad where he is he is moving back because they can't sell. We get feedback from every person that comes through. Everyone says loved house, priced right well cared for in their comments, but no one can get a mortgage or sell their house or they are also looking at foreclosures that are 25% less. We have made price drops but have not wanted to drop to a foreclosure price yet. ON the up side you have entered the market at a great time of year so it is probably your best chance to sell by summer. We rented a POD and moved out everything that was nonessential, staged the house, put on a fresh coat of paint , had carpets cleaned etc. to put our best foot forward, but still no luck. We had one offer early on but it did not work out. Look at the number of foreclosures and there pricepoint. People I know are just walking away from their mortgages and some are loosing them because employment is down. They banks are dumping them so low. A foreclore down the street was for sale for $850,000. Huge, new, on ten acres. Bank just sold it for low $400,000s. I live on a Lake and lake houses that sold for $600000 plus three years ago are being listed under $400,000. I hope the market is better where you are and that the market that you move to is a buyers market because there are great deals if you can sell.

mombrontrent
03-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I feel bad for everyone trying to sell their houses right now in the U.S. I knew the market was slow but I didn't realize it was that bad. I live in Canada and sold a house last spring. I was in panic mode when it took 6 weeks, 2 open houses and 30 showings to sell. I was so stressed and thought it took way to long to sell, I couldn't imagine being at it for years. My neighbour sold her house in a day, my cousin sold hers before it was even officially listed and many people I know sold within a week of listing so 6 weeks felt like forever to me, but I guess it's all relative. Good luck to everyone!

QVCshopper
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I am in SE PA and have been looking for a while. Here, houses in two really good school districts sell like hotcakes. Honestly, they are selling in one week, sometimes less. We've been interested in bidding on three of them, and all three sold within days of going on the market for listing price. I went to an open house today—listed at $525k--and there were about five couples walking through at the same time. It's nuts. But, I dont think our area has been impacted like the others.

It's depressing as a buyer; on the other hand, both houses in my neighborhood also sold within a couple of months. So, that's good for me.

I think this is the only time people like me have been able to afford these schools. They have many many $1 million and up houses. So, it really depends on where you live.

Our area has many big companies, like QVC, Vanguard, Pfizer, Wyeth, etc. and they are saving us.

gigi1976
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the pixie dust y'all! We just had another showing! Believe in the power of Pixie Dust!!!

Darcy03231
03-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I am in SE PA and have been looking for a while. Here, houses in two really good school districts sell like hotcakes. Honestly, they are selling in one week, sometimes less. We've been interested in bidding on three of them, and all three sold within days of going on the market for listing price. I went to an open house todayŚlisted at $525k--and there were about five couples walking through at the same time. It's nuts. But, I dont think our area has been impacted like the others.

It's depressing as a buyer; on the other hand, both houses in my neighborhood also sold within a couple of months. So, that's good for me.

I think this is the only time people like me have been able to afford these schools. They have many many $1 million and up houses. So, it really depends on where you live.

Our area has many big companies, like QVC, Vanguard, Pfizer, Wyeth, etc. and they are saving us.

This is what its like in my neighborhood. Its only a small area that has the in demand elementary, middle and high schools. The house two doors down from me sold in 2 days for over asking price (and it was priced for the market, not underpriced). There was a bidding war. I'm hoping that happens when we're ready to sell!

mrssmith06
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, Realtor here :) 8 days is not very long at all to be on the market. You can't expect your house to sell right away, it just doesn't happen that fast normally. (But YAY if it does!! LOL) It can take a few months or much more. Try to be patient and in the meantime do some research and see what you can do to help get it sold faster...like "staging" your home for buyers. Good luck, I hope you get some bites soon! ;)

bellarella
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Have you double checked your realtor's work?

Before listing my home I have always had three realtors give us a competitive market analysis and had them explain what price point they would pick and why and also what their marketing plan would be. We did not always choose the agent with the highest price and we have not always listed for what the agent recommended.

I also make sure I know all of the comps in my area -- what they were listed for, what they sold for and how many days they were on the market. This helps set my own expectations.

Good luck!

tipsytrtle
03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
the folks i nanny for put their house up july of 2010, they signed deal today and have a closing date of july 1st 2011

dislal
03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I am in SE PA and have been looking for a while. Here, houses in two really good school districts sell like hotcakes. Honestly, they are selling in one week, sometimes less. We've been interested in bidding on three of them, and all three sold within days of going on the market for listing price. I went to an open house todayŚlisted at $525k--and there were about five couples walking through at the same time. It's nuts. But, I dont think our area has been impacted like the others.

I live in SW PA and this is exactly what our neighborhood is like, it is so frustrating the houses are going on the market at high prices and are being bought within in a month or so. Dh and I are house hunting and we don't want to move out of our school district so I guess we are going to have to be very patient, even just property is selling for about $15,000 an acre:scared1:. We bought our place 17 years ago for $28,000 for over 6 acres with an old mobile home, that we lived in for about 9 years and then we eventually built on the property.

mcever4
03-14-2011, 06:34 AM
I am a Realtor and actually have my own house on the market! It has been listed for over a YEAR now and I have only had 5 showings! It is priced right, but the problem is, there are so many foreclosures out there that people can get a bigger and better house for LESS money than mine is listed for. I am not too discouraged though. Things are picking up a little and all it takes is ONE person to love the house. We could lower our price to get more activity, but we don't HAVE to move. We live out in the country and just want to move a little closer into town and get back in a neighborhood. If it sells, great. If not, no big deal. I would love for it to though, then I could jump on one of those great foreclosure deals!!!!

Robin

swkmom
03-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Our house has been on the market since late August 2010. We've had probably 10 showings and 2 open houses. The most recent open house was a week ago and our realtor said we had a great turn out and the people there liked the house. Still no offers. We're relocating and must sell, my husband's company will buy the house but we have to try for so long to sell it ourselves. We're in the best school district in our county but I can't figure out why it won't sell. However there are other houses in our area that have been for sale longer. We dropped the price in January and we're getting ready to drop it again today. It's very frustrating.

Local_Girl
03-14-2011, 07:20 AM
May I interject a little hope for you and all who have homes on the market? :) DH and I decided rather quickly a couple of months ago that we wanted to buy...our agent sent us some listings via email, and we finally had her set up some showings a few weeks later. We saw 5 houses that first day, the first 4 weren't in great shape (foreclosures, short sales, etc.), but the last house was great! The price was right, it was well maintained, it was uncluttered and clean, and they staged it very well. We knew we wanted it as soon as we walked in! We are in Michigan...in the greater Detroit area.

We offered their full asking price, but asked them to pay part of our closing costs. I think the sellers were in absolute shock that they had an offer on the table in less than a week after listing. There seemed to be a lot of scrambling on their end! Anyway, now we are most of the way through the process and just waiting for our closing date.

Make sure that your home is well priced, well maintained, uncluttered, clean, and well staged for showings...hopefully your buyer is out there just looking for your home!

Wishing all of you selling your homes the best of luck. :)

quagmire0
03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, 8 days may have been the norm 10 years ago, but definitely not today. Give it time. If you don't see much activity within a month, consider changing the price and/or having some open house events. It all depends on how *desperate* you are to sell.

IMO, these days if you don't NEED to move, it's best to stay put.

GrnMtnMan
03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Make sure that your home is well priced, well maintained, uncluttered, clean, and well staged for showings...hopefully your buyer is out there just looking for your home!
Amen.

Here's my recent experience:

The home we bought on October had been on the market for nine days when we made our offer. It showed very well (I see the warts on it now that we've lived in it six months). It smelled of fresh paint, wood floors were freshly refinished, it was very clean and bright, and was very well priced for the neighborhood.

We got a contract on our condo within 48 hours of it being listed. We did pretty much everything our Realtor suggested (new counters in kitchen, painted the whole place, put in new vanities in the bathrooms), and paid for a stager. Buyer didn't want us to go through our open house, so he offered $15k over our asking.

My in-laws sold their condo over the holidays using the same Realtor. She insisted on painting the place, staging it, and pricing it aggressively. It went to contract for full asking price the week after New Year's, typically a dead time of year.

There are houses and condos in all these areas that have been sitting on the market since we were shopping/selling. The key to our good experience has been a good realtor who knows what they are doing and following that advice. Waiting for a miracle buyer to come through who will pay an inflated asking price is hoping for a winning lottery ticket. You might get a winning ticket, but it's not likely.

BabyTigger99
03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
All it takes is the right people to come through.

We had been talking about selling for a while, but I was worried about it. While we were in the beginning stages of talking about it, we had a realtor come to the house, let us know what they liked, what we should fix, etc. The gave us some great ideas for rearranging the furniture, getting rid of some things to open up areas, things like that. We listed our house on July 7, 2010. We had an open house on July 18th. Five couples ended up coming through. One couple called to come back during the week, but cancelled. Had an open house the following Sunday, July 24. The family that wanted to come back during the week came back again, made an offer. We countered. They got cold feet, wanted to see it again. They came back with one more offer, we accepted the offer on July 27th. I was shocked. I thought our home was going to sit forever. Just stay positive!!!

gigi1976
03-14-2011, 10:54 AM
OP here, I agree with the staging and such, we worked our tails off for 2 weeks straight getting it ready, luckily we bought it as a foreclosure so we are able to price it right, and it is in the best school (that was a tear falling, I'll miss it).

To those who thought I may have been jumping the gun, overreacting, not being patient enough (all of my known personality traits) you are right!

And to those who said it only takes one...you are right!!!!! The first people, the ones I was crying about as "the only" ones, wrote a contract last night!!!! We will see it tonight when DH gets home, but our agent said it's for 5k below asking and closing date 4/14 or 4/8. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch. Yikes, I should pack something!

To those still waiting to sell, it really does just take the right buyer! Hoping you get in panic packing mode soon!

GrnMtnMan
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
CONGRATS!!! BUT DO NOT WAIT!!!!!

Get that contract signed right now!!!!

When we were buying, we put in an offer around 9 PM one evening. I wasn't comfortable with it, but I thought that when I slept on it I'd feel better.

WRONG.

The next day I felt even worse, so we pulled the offer around 11 AM the next day.

Now if the sellers had signed that night, I'd be living somewhere else right now...just with a bigger mortgage (nothing was wrong with the place, just a little more than we wanted to pay, but could easily have handled it).

DO NOT LET THE BUYER GET COLD FEET!!!! SIGN NOW!!!!!!

John Tag
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
We too have been on the market for 18 months. Tons of feedback Oh its soo nice, Shows like model, Great area ect ect. But still no great offers. The buyers right now are looking for a steal of a deal for sure. The other 2 homes in our area too are long listed. Only 1 has sold in last year of the 4 that listed. Area is great,Safe(I can even leave a sign on lawn,Gone on vacation and doors are open..Nobody would bother house) True family southern sub division. We too are 15K under what home should be. Our agent even had us use a staging rep, well we did all with agent and after staging home 9 month later still no good offers. Im soo tired of daily cleaning to keep it show ready I cant wait for our vacation..LOL

Anybody looking to move to NC, Here is a great deal... http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDetail&ListingID=1887344&Region=&ListingPosition=15&From=QuickSearch

acomasdiaz
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't give up just yet. The market is really in shambles right and it's really hard to predict how long a home will be in the market. We sold our home 3 months ago and we had it on the market for 3 months before we got an offer. The home we just bought was on the market for 4 months before we made our offer.

My in-laws have had their house on the market since the end of Dec. and have had about 10 people come and see it. My sister on the other hand listed her house 2 weeks ago and got a full price offer on it in 2 days which I believe was just good luck on her part.