PDA

View Full Version : Anyone moved from Midwest to Florida??

SlightlyGoofy
03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi there ! No so much for money saving but for no snow shoveling and being closer to Disney but we are planning to move from Indiana, pretty inexpensive living compared to some places, to the Clearwater area and I was wondering if anyone had also done so and what they found in expenses and life style and any hints at all. :)

We are looking at a resident owned mobile park in a very good location and I am looking forward to no lawn care or outside maintenance in my old age, when it comes.:rotfl2:

Thank you for any information or help as it is hard to move after living here for more than half of my life but I am up for it unless someone knows something I do not. :confused3

Slightly Goofy

katemonster2508
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I made the move from Indiana to Florida last fall and I have to say, life without snow is magical! I live in a small town, so my life has pretty much been like Indiana with gorgeous weather. Rent in general seems to be a little higher here than up in the Hoosier state and right now gas prices are too. The thing that I found the hardest in my move was the lack of Fall. No changing leaves was depressing for me. I love being closer to Disney and seeing the ocean still takes my breath away. I don't know what else to tell you, but if you think its what you want, I'd seriously consider it. There is a family planning a move who's blog is very interesting. Its therelocatedtourist.com. They may have some more insight for you!

SlightlyGoofy
03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi there katemonster2508 and welcome to the DIS since I note that do not have many posts. Maybe you are one of those lurkers though. :)

Might I ask what small town you located to? I am thinking of Clearwater for several reasons.

Utility bills and insurance bills seem to be a lot more expensive but factoring in everything it seems to be somewhat of a wash.

Thanks for the link, I am going to check it out. I am more interested in retirement living but I am sure there will be things to know on that link as well. I love learning stuff.:teacher:

Slightly Goofy

rapmarks
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
we have a home in Estero Fl, but you mentioned amobile home. Our friends bought in over 55 in St Petersburg, paid only $10 thousand for a nice home, pay about 400 a month in lot rental, and absolutely love it there.
expenses that are high are homeowners insurance. food is a little more expensive, no state income tax,

katemonster2508
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Ha. I definitely am a lurker, your post just hit really close to home. :)
I live in Okeechobee. I didn't have much choice because I moved here for work. In addition, its in the middle of nowhere, so the commute from other cities just wasn't worth it. I wish retirement communities were an option for me because they seem much more wallet friendly! Good luck in whatever choice you make, right now I honestly can't imagine moving back North (the employment is also a part of that though!)

Traveliz
03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
We have a condo in Windermere - we found utility bills to be cheaper than our home in Illinois (even factoring in the size). We have found insurance to be pretty reasonable also.

Love the whole no snow thing. I keep telling people what is included in our condo maintenance fee and I want to say snow removal (because in Illinois that is a typical thing included) but I have to stop myself!

Liz

TWyn
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I live in Southern Indiana and will be moving to Orlando, Florida after my daughter graduates high school in May. My hubby moved down with a new job last July and his costs of living are pretty much the same as what I'm paying here. We sold our home and both have apartments right now, but we'll be buying a house once we're back together. There are some fantastic buys on homes there right now, so we hope to get a really good deal. My daughter got accepted to UCF for the fall, and since hubby will have been a Florida resident for a full year before she starts, she'll be able to get in-state tuition. After the winter we've had here this year, I can't wait to move! I love hot weather, so this is going to be perfect for me. :) I plan on applying for a job at Disney as soon as I'm settled. Can't wait!

Tinkerbelle32
03-12-2011, 09:14 PM
We will be leaving Kansas at the end of May. Hubby will have to go down in about a month. We will be living near the Coco Beach, Florida area. Hubby received a civilian position at Patrick AFB. We can't wait and are also hoping to get a good deal on a home. Trying to sell ours first! Good Luck. :goodvibes

solotraveler
03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I made the move from Michigan to South Florida back in 2007.

In terms of expenses, I think it's roughly a wash. Insurance was much more expensive in Florida than what we were playing in Michigan, utilities were lower and most everything else was about the same. Rents and home prices in Florida can widely vary depending on where you are and what you are looking for.

I would advise to research, research, research where you are intending to move. Perhaps visit a few different times during the year, see what the people are like, visit the local stores.... basically take a look at all the aspects of your day to day living. There are lots of transplants in Florida, so as your would be neighbors what they think of the place.

Now, I know you said you are primarily interested in retirement living, but if you will be needing to work for any period of time while there, I would HIGHLY recommend establishing employment there before making the move. Florida is still rebounding slowly from the recession and jobs can be tough to come by. Also, the biggest surprise when making the move to FL was just how much lower overall salaries were there compared to Michigan. Something very important to look at if it applies to your situation.

All in all, I really enjoyed living there and would certainly move back. (I relocated in 2009 after a layoff when I was offered a new job out of state). If you go in with your eyes open and with a base of knowledge, the transition will be much easier.

:earsboy:

dfchelbay
03-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I live in Southern Indiana and will be moving to Orlando, Florida after my daughter graduates high school in May. My hubby moved down with a new job last July and his costs of living are pretty much the same as what I'm paying here. We sold our home and both have apartments right now, but we'll be buying a house once we're back together. There are some fantastic buys on homes there right now, so we hope to get a really good deal. My daughter got accepted to UCF for the fall, and since hubby will have been a Florida resident for a full year before she starts, she'll be able to get in-state tuition. After the winter we've had here this year, I can't wait to move! I love hot weather, so this is going to be perefect for me. :) I plan on applying for a job at Disney as soon as I'm settled. Can't wait!

Wanted to just take a moment to commend you on how you all, as a family, made a few temporary changes and adjustments to your lives, so that the bigger plan of everyone together in a few months could happen. Your daughter could finish her senior years with all her peers, mom and dad are apartment living for awhile, and daughter is heading off to UCF. This is refreshing to see in today's world, where many people don't want any inconveniences, do not delay gratifications, and will not make life adjustments such as your family has for a temporary time. Well done.:thumbsup2

TWyn
03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Wanted to just take a moment to commend you on how you all, as a family, made a few temporary changes and adjustments to your lives, so that the bigger plan of everyone together in a few months could happen. Your daughter could finish her senior years with all her peers, mom and dad are apartment living for awhile, and daughter is heading off to UCF. This is refreshing to see in today's world, where many people don't want any inconveniences, do not delay gratifications, and will not make life adjustments such as your family has for a temporary time. Well done.:thumbsup2

Well, thank you. :) That's so nice of you to say. :) It has been a sacrifice for my hubby and myself, being apart for this long, but we didn't have the heart to uproot our daughter after living here her whole life. It's really strengthened our marriage, too. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. :)

dhardawa
03-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The one family I know who moved from Indianapolis to Tampa isn't happy at all. They moved to get away from the cold and snow and instead got sweltery heat. They tried for years to move back, but the housing market is so bad they couldn't sell their house.

SlightlyGoofy
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Tammy, I agree with the PP as to your priorities and how well you are handling the changes in your life. I have students who are uprooted to live with different boyfriends/girlfriends several times a year and it is heartbreaking to see that their parents do not have them in mind. I just love then while I have them and pray afterward.:littleangel: I am thinking you might be a neighbor of mine as I live near Columbus.

Solo, we were down there in December looking around and I have a dear friend who has given me much sage advice. From what I see insurance and utilities will be much higher than we presently pay but since we will only have an elec bill things should be a wash. I have found my ideal location and as soon as this house sells we will head down, cash in hand. to buy the best unit available at the time.

Tinkerbelle, I have friends who have a winter home in the area you are moving to and with the closing of the space center there should be lots of good bargains. I hope you find what your heart desires.

Traveliz, I have a DIS friend in Illinois and she has been telling me of all you guys are dealing with now. Utilities are much cheaper in Indiana as our is a non profit. We have a huge house so downsizing to less sq footage will make it come out somewhere even I think. I hope you get your house sold for a reasonable price.

katemonster2508, I know someone who has a winter home where you are. I meet so many lurkers when I am at DW so I sort of recognize one when I see one. I am far too chatty myself. :banana: I am a volunteer and since that is not a paid position I have a feeling I will not find a shortage of 'employment' in Florida.

rapmarks, no lot rent for me. In the resident owned parks you buy a share, the better the park the higher the share. Only $145 a month for fees that include water, sewer, trash all lawn maintenance as well as club house and pool,.streets etc. Seems very reasonable to me and since many of the other owners are snowbirds from Canada they will be subsidizing us full time residents but then we will guard their places while they are gone.

High crime and poverty in some areas but since I do not plan to be out barhopping and frequenting places where I might get into trouble all should be well and then there is that short commute to Disney to consider.

If anyone has any negative thoughts I would like to consider them. Leaving family is no problem. Wish it were but it is not. Grandchildren call me now and can call me down there and some are driving so they can visit me and the beach. :love:

Thank you all for your help.

Slightly Goofy

JoiseyMom
03-13-2011, 02:23 PM
SG - Are you going to have an EWP Suite??? :thumbsup2

ilandrazdsw
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Original South Floridian (Broward Co) who moved to IL (IL/IN border) from 1991-95 (for high school), back to FL for college (St Augustine with family in Broward Co), back to IL for 1 1/2 yrs after college, back to Broward County for 3 years, moved to the Bahamas for 6 years, and then moved to NW IN in the spring of 2009. Have traveled all of the state of FL. LOVE Indiana! the cost of living is MUCh more affordable then the South FL area...not sure how South FL compares to the west coast. Good Luck! At least you will be close to Disney :cool1:

TWyn
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Tammy, I agree with the PP as to your priorities and how well you are handling the changes in your life. I have students who are uprooted to live with different boyfriends/girlfriends several times a year and it is heartbreaking to see that their parents do not have them in mind. I just love then while I have them and pray afterward.:littleangel: I am thinking you might be a neighbor of mine as I live near Columbus.

Slightly Goofy

Columbus is about three hours from me. I'm close to Evansville. :) We decided from the start that it would be much easier for my hubby and I to sacrifice a year apart than to rip our daughter from the only school district and friends she's ever known, plus I've heard that a lot Florida schools don't compare to the ones in our area. I wish you the very best on your move and hope you're happy where you settle. :)

dyna
03-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Moved last fall from barely Indiana, Nearly Kentucky to Winter Haven Fl we live in a retirement community bought our home sight unseen over internet. We are very pleased with the home an our park. We like being in the middle of the state hour to the gulf coast 1 1/2 hours to east coast 1 hour to disney.

Only utility bill we pay is electric, home is much smaller than the 1 we had up north so it's pretty much a wash on electric. Insurance is higher but we sold an unneeded truck to make up the difference. Food is higher here but we only feed 2 of us here an in Indiana we was feeding more like 8 ppl most of the time so over all food is cheaper here for us.

With only the 2 of us to dirty the house I use about 1/4th the cleaning products I used to use. Paper towel use is way down as is toliet paper an napkins so we are saving money there.

Gas is up to about 3.70 here I think but we can choose how much to use since DH is not having to drive 30 miles each way to work 5 or 6 days a week we are spending less in gas here than we did in Indiana. The Hess stations inside disney are still a few cents cheaper on the gallon an we go over there about once a week.

rubato
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I am grateful for this thread. We are going to be moving to Cape Coral when my son graduates high school, but that's not for 7 more years! :lmao: We are, however, debating buying the house now and just renting it until we're ready to move, due to the hit Florida took in home values. I have been very curious how cost of living in Florida differs from cost of living in Kansas. We really have it made here, cost wise.

SlightlyGoofy
05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Joisey, you are too funny. The EWP is alive and well just not posting much anymore. Most of actually have met and keep in touch in various ways. Especially right now as I sold my house and am moving to Florida in July and then we will get to see each other even more.

Thank you all for your advice and tips and for those of you who live close to where I am moving in Clearwater/Largo I hope we can meet sometime. Dis friends are the best and even better when meeting face to face.

Slightly Goofy/Linda

tinkerbell9227
05-22-2011, 08:43 AM
The one family I know who moved from Indianapolis to Tampa isn't happy at all. They moved to get away from the cold and snow and instead got sweltery heat. They tried for years to move back, but the housing market is so bad they couldn't sell their house.

if they are interested in Illinois you should put me in touch with them! I've been trying to find somebody to do a house swap from Fl to IL ! :banana:

SlightlyGoofy
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
tinkerbell9227, if you should get two offers like that would you please let me know as I have another friend who is trying to escape, er I mean move, from Illinois.:rotfl:

Back to packing for me. Cannot take much of my Disney stuff with me as I will not have as much room but heck I will be near enough to visit often so I will no longer need things to remind me of my Happy Place. :banana:

Slightly Goofy

shrpgrl
05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Moved down to Winter Haven, Fl. 3 years ago from South Bend In. area. Think the costs are pretty similar. Only problem for me is I still have not sold my house up there yet. Love being 45 minutes from WDW.

angwill
05-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey SG,
I see you are trying to get rid of my house in IL for me. lol I am so glad that yours has sold so quickly. Now to get mine sold but since it just went on the market I am sure it will be a while.

On the other side of having a teen and moving, my son is going to be a Junior next year and can't wait to move. His thought on it was that there is always facebook to keep in touch with his friends here and he wants to make friends in Florida before he graduates from high school. Plus by the time he graduates he will be a resident to lower the costs of college. I don't think I could move if he didn't have a positive outlook on it. Another thing we plan to do is rent in an area where the schools are better and then decide where we want to buy once he graduates.

We own our own business and can run it from anywhere but I want to work outside the home when down there so we will see what I can find when we get there. I live in the NW section of IL where the most jobs were lost of anywhere in the state and the unemployment rate is higher than anywhere in FL. So are the taxes both personal, home, and especially business. Once our governor raised the taxes on business here to the highest in the world we knew it was time to make the move.

Ang

Sinderelly
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
tinkerbell9227, if you should get two offers like that would you please let me know as I have another friend who is trying to escape, er I mean move, from Illinois.:rotfl:

Back to packing for me. Cannot take much of my Disney stuff with me as I will not have as much room but heck I will be near enough to visit often so I will no longer need things to remind me of my Happy Place. :banana:

Slightly Goofy

I wish you well with your move. We are in Greensburg so very close to Columbus. FL is my dream place to live but DH would have to pass the bar in FL in oder to work. :sad1: I would love to live near Cocoa Beach. :love:

angwill
05-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey SG,
I see you are trying to get rid of my house in IL for me. lol I am so glad that yours has sold so quickly. Now to get mine sold but since it just went on the market I am sure it will be a while.

On the other side of having a teen and moving, my son is going to be a Junior next year and can't wait to move. His thought on it was that there is always facebook to keep in touch with his friends here and he wants to make friends in Florida before he graduates from high school. Plus by the time he graduates he will be a resident to lower the costs of college. I don't think I could move if he didn't have a positive outlook on it. Another thing we plan to do is rent in an area where the schools are better and then decide where we want to buy once he graduates.

We own our own business and can run it from anywhere but I want to work outside the home when down there so we will see what I can find when we get there. I live in the NW section of IL where the most jobs were lost of anywhere in the state and the unemployment rate is higher than anywhere in FL. So are the taxes both personal, home, and especially business. Once our governor raised the taxes on business here to the highest in the world we knew it was time to make the move.

Ang

jm-mom
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM
We have toyed around with the idea of moving to Florida and always come back to the same questions: How bad are the bugs in the warmer climate and how scary are the hurricanes. I would love to live near the ocean but am terrified of having a hurricane. Equally I'm also terrified of having spiders, termites and snakes in my home and yaed. And then in my mind, I also think of there being alligators on the loose everywhere we go.

angwill
05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
The way I look at the bugs and other critters are like this. I live in the country so mice in the house and trying to keep them out are a way of life. We have black widows and brown recluses but I have never seen either. We do however get spiders and their webs on our house outside as well as in our house. We have water moccasins, copper heads, and one other poisonous snake but rarely encounter them unless near the water and then they are just as afraid of us as we are of them. We have had gardener snakes in the yard though. There are termites everywhere as well. As for the alligators again they are not going to bother you as long as you don't bother them. Here we have coyotes and coydogs here that will come in the yard. As for hurricanes I figure at least you get advanced warning that one is coming but where I live we get tornado warnings and not with much advanced notice. We have also had one that we were never warned about that took out a tree in front of our house, jumped over the garage, and took out a tree in back. That said I have a husband that is terrified of the same things you are but that is because they are the unknown and not something he understands. Now whenever I find a show on TV about snakes or alligators etc. he watches them and is less afraid of them because they are not so unknown now.

MKCP1984
05-22-2011, 11:51 PM
For about the same cost of a townhouse here in IL, a person could buy a very nice home with a pool (in some areas) in Orlando. I've been daydreaming about that very idea for years, but the logistics of the move scare the daylights out of me! :scared1:
So, I commend you all for your brave, long-distance moves, and OP, I wish you well in your new life in my happy place -- FL.
Enjoy and good luck to you!!!!!:shamrock::shamrock:

angwill
05-23-2011, 12:14 AM
For about the same cost of a townhouse here in IL, a person could buy a very nice home with a pool (in some areas) in Orlando. I've been daydreaming about that very idea for years, but the logistics of the move scare the daylights out of me! :scared1:
So, I commend you all for your brave, long-distance moves, and OP, I wish you well in your new life in my happy place -- FL.
Enjoy and good luck to you!!!!!:shamrock::shamrock:

Very true about the home value in Florida compared to IL. Those same 2-4 bedroom homes with pools cost upwards of $350,000 several years ago too.
It is sad for those who are losing so much on their homes in Florida but good for those who live in areas that are still over priced and want to move.

SlightlyGoofy
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I have been in Largo for nearly two weeks now. Selling our old home was the easy part but I am finding buying is a bit more difficult. There are lots of places for sale but few that fit my needs. I am researching one today and if it pans out we will make an offer tomorrow. Might take up to a month for it to close though. We are paying cash! Do they have to check each bill to see if it is counterfeit? :rotfl2: Nope, we are giving a certified check so that is the banks problem.

Sinderella, we lived very close to you in a small town called Hope but shopped in Greenwood often.

Ang, you know I am always watching out for my friends. I need good neighbors down here.

If anyone has an information on this area or tips for me please let me know. It is a condo we are looking at. Location is great but HOA fees are something I am not familar with. It includes many things and when I add it up it makes sense but trusting someone else to take care of such things is foreign to my Mideastern nature.

Slightly Goofy

Traveliz
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I have been in Largo for nearly two weeks now. Selling our old home was the easy part but I am finding buying is a bit more difficult. There are lots of places for sale but few that fit my needs. I am researching one today and if it pans out we will make an offer tomorrow. Might take up to a month for it to close though. We are paying cash! Do they have to check each bill to see if it is counterfeit? :rotfl2: Nope, we are giving a certified check so that is the banks problem.

Sinderella, we lived very close to you in a small town called Hope but shopped in Greenwood often.

Ang, you know I am always watching out for my friends. I need good neighbors down here.

If anyone has an information on this area or tips for me please let me know. It is a condo we are looking at. Location is great but HOA fees are something I am not familar with. It includes many things and when I add it up it makes sense but trusting someone else to take care of such things is foreign to my Mideastern nature.

Slightly Goofy

We paid cash too and it took a month to close and even then the real estate lady had to stay on top of them. She said it was because it was a foreclosure and the banks just piddle about, don't seem to care if it gets done or not...and it wasn't a short sale so that was't the hold up. Good luck!

Liz

DisneygirlTeacher
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
The alligators don't run loose and aren't bugs everywhere? Just know that although Florida is a beautiful state, people that have lived here a long time know that we "pay for the sunshine everyday." Meaning, wages are low for many jobs. Umemployment is very high, even people with professional degrees find there is little work. The heat and humidity started in April and will last until after Thanksgiving. Our school has a revolving door...people coming here for the "good life" find they can't find a job and can't afford to live here. So, the students come and are soon moving back. Homeowners insurance is very high, and Citizens (one of the few you can get in Florida) is soon to have a huge rate hike (because of hurricanes.) Now, to be fair, those are all not very good things. Florida is pretty, does have Disney World and gorgeous beaches. Just weigh all options and don't come because you like heat (and I do mean heat!) Have a job first, line up housing, and really check out the area. It can be a great place to live, but it isn't all Mickey ice cream bars and palm trees.

dunbarfamily
07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
A friend of mine moved from Northern Michigan to Orlando area a few years ago. She loves having no snow! The only "complaint" she has is the summers are so hot. They adapted though, and she explains that just like we tend to stay indoors more during the winter, and go from heated place to heated place, they stay indoors in the air conditioning during the summers.

Best wishes as you make this life change!!

SlightlyGoofy
01-23-2012, 08:01 AM
DisneygirlTeacher, you are right on the money with your comments. The cons are that the cost of insurance is about twice what it was in IN and if we needed a job it would be hard to find and probably not pay a lot. I have not had to handle any really bad weather yet so that might be another con.

On the upside the price of this home versus what we sold for is much less, our property taxes actually went down, the utilities are about half of what they used to be, everything is within a mile or so, no snow, doctors seem much better and more versed in the conditions that we 'old' people have, and so much else. Of course a lot of that is based on the fact that we sold a huge old home and moved to a condo. That means a whole lot less work. No place is perfect but then neither am I.:rotfl2:

Traveliz, the banks perplex me as it would be in their best interests IMO to get these places off their books. I refused to look at another short sale/foreclosure. I also could not bear the thought of taking someone else's home. :sad2:

dunbarfamily, thank you for your kind words and true, you adapt. Back in IN I would wait to do big projects in the winter, here, if I have any, I will do them in the summer. Loving it more and more each day and have already made one Disney trip and planning others. :love:

SG/Linda

happygirl
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
This post is very intereting. We are thinking about moving to the Orlando area

How are jobs down there?
How hard is it to find houses in good areas

SlightlyGoofy
01-23-2012, 09:24 AM
happygirl, we are an older couple with no need of jobs so this has been great for us because of the low housing costs. From what I read it does not seem like the job prospects are very good unless you are in certain professions, medical among them. The schools seem a bit iffy but I imagine that is all in where you live.

There is a website called citydata where you might be able to get better information for your circumstances.

Best wishes, SG

happygirl
01-23-2012, 10:09 AM
happygirl, we are an older couple with no need of jobs so this has been great for us because of the low housing costs. From what I read it does not seem like the job prospects are very good unless you are in certain professions, medical among them. The schools seem a bit iffy but I imagine that is all in where you live.

There is a website called citydata where you might be able to get better information for your circumstances.

Best wishes, SG

Thanks, I would figure there was a lot of job with all the restaurants and shows and asument parks

Traveliz
01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
DisneygirlTeacher, you are right on the money with your comments. The cons are that the cost of insurance is about twice what it was in IN and if we needed a job it would be hard to find and probably not pay a lot. I have not had to handle any really bad weather yet so that might be another con.

On the upside the price of this home versus what we sold for is much less, our property taxes actually went down, the utilities are about half of what they used to be, everything is within a mile or so, no snow, doctors seem much better and more versed in the conditions that we 'old' people have, and so much else. Of course a lot of that is based on the fact that we sold a huge old home and moved to a condo. That means a whole lot less work. No place is perfect but then neither am I.:rotfl2:

Traveliz, the banks perplex me as it would be in their best interests IMO to get these places off their books. I refused to look at another short sale/foreclosure. I also could not bear the thought of taking someone else's home. :sad2:dunbarfamily, thank you for your kind words and true, you adapt. Back in IN I would wait to do big projects in the winter, here, if I have any, I will do them in the summer. Loving it more and more each day and have already made one Disney trip and planning others. :love:

SG/Linda

All the foreclosures we looked at were long empty. I guess I would have felt odd if the homes were occupied. As far as short sales though - I would not have hesitated (if I wanted to spend the kind of time involved with a short sale) as typically the residents are part of this arrangement and want the short sale to go through versus being foreclosed on.

Liz

angwill
01-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks, I would figure there was a lot of job with all the restaurants and shows and asument parks

From my research compared to where I live there are a lot more jobs especially entry level jobs. The issue is that most pay minimum wage and it is impossible to live off minimum wage especially with a family.

Another thing to keep in mine is those restaurant and amusement park entry level jobs make it virtually impossible to get a second job with varied hours. Another issue is when the college program people come in they tend to take hours away from the full time employees to make room for them which makes it even more impossible to live off that minimum wage.

SlightlyGoofy
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
happygirl, as usual Ang knows her stuff.:) 60 Minutes did a story a bit ago about all the homeless unemployed right outside the gates of Disney. With the economy being down the tourist places have cut staff and folks do not have the money to eat out much so those jobs are down as well. Tips are not what they might be either.

Traveliz, with my luck if I had bought a foreclosure the original family would have shown up after I moved in and I would have had to invite them to move in with me. :grouphug: The person who owned this before me moved to fancier digs right behind here. The person who bought our old home had grown up in it and dearly loves the place. I am blessed.:cloud9:

Hi there Ang, hope you are keeping warm. I know where you could get away for a bit.:love:

SG/Linda

DisneygirlTeacher
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Slightly Goofy, With your happy and positive attitude I know you will love it here! Good luck to you and enjoy every minute! :goodvibes

angwill
01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
happygirl, as usual Ang knows her stuff.:) 60 Minutes did a story a bit ago about all the homeless unemployed right outside the gates of Disney. With the economy being down the tourist places have cut staff and folks do not have the money to eat out much so those jobs are down as well. Tips are not what they might be either.

Traveliz, with my luck if I had bought a foreclosure the original family would have shown up after I moved in and I would have had to invite them to move in with me. :grouphug: The person who owned this before me moved to fancier digs right behind here. The person who bought our old home had grown up in it and dearly loves the place. I am blessed.:cloud9:

Hi there Ang, hope you are keeping warm. I know where you could get away for a bit.:love:

SG/Linda

Hi my favorite Dis friend. I would love nothing more than to come visit you but with a family sadly I have to pass. Thanks for the offer though I would love to visit with you yet again it has been too long.

With your luck the origninal family would want to move into your carport. lol

In case you are looking Disney actually put out a whole bunch of job openings recently. I bet none pay over $10 an hour however and most are part time and you need to have flexible hours. :thumbsup2

JDUCKY
01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Interesting.

My car insurance *dropped* when I moved to Florida. My homeowners' insurance is less, too, and our house is worth about $100k more than the one I used to own back north.

Tack on being able to see the MK fireworks from our front yard and it's great living here in FL! :)

SlightlyGoofy
01-24-2012, 07:42 AM
JDUCKY, I think the differences in our experiences is because I moved from a cheap living place and bet you did not. That is why researching is so very important when making big changes. Glad you are enjoying it as much as I am!:) BTW, enjoy those fireworks!!

Ang, you are gonna make all your other DIS friend envious ya know. :banana:Another good thing about a Disney job is that even at part time you get health benefits. The CM at the food court was telling me that is why she works there. You know you are a frequent visitor when such a person knows you by name.:dance3: Find a cheap flight and come on down for a few days to check things out. You know you wanna.:flower3:

DisneygirlTeacher, thank you for those sweet, and so wrong, assumptions. I am ornery, sarcastic and downright difficult. :rolleyes1 BTW, Ang is wrong, the old owners would probably be living in the condo while I slept in the carport, especially if they have children. This has been a life changing experience for me and thanks to my research and hard thinking it has been everything I had expected. Now to make some friends. :cheer2:

SG/Linda

SlightlyGoofy
01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
I have found that it is cheaper to eat out here than to cook, especially if there are just two of you. For around $7, or even less, there are a plethora of places that will give you soup or salad, entree, potato, veggie, bread and butter and dessert, and even a few throw in a drink. I tend to tip a bit more here because the service is generally wonderful and the COL is higher and I want to sleep well at night. Publix has the best quality, at a high price, Albertson's has good prices and lower quality and then there is always WM. All three are within about a mile of me too. This country gal has gone city!:worship:

SG/Linda

JDUCKY
01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
nothing expensive about Kentucky, I can assure you. lol :)

SlightlyGoofy
01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
JDUCKY, I am not so sure about that as I got two things in Kentucky (dd and ds) that have been mighty expensive through the years. :rotfl2: We had only paid less than $400 a year for property taxes where we lived and the house was so good, in spite of being huge, that the utility bills were very reasonable. Having moved from there to here, AND a much smaller and well laid out place, our property taxes are half as are our utility bills and there is no state income tax. I figure that balances out the fact that our car and home insurance doubled. I had to get them quickly and did not have time to shop around so that might change. What part of Ky did you move from (we lived just to the north of you) and what part of FL did you move to? We are Tampa Bay.

SG/Linda

JDUCKY
01-24-2012, 08:09 AM
JDUCKY, I am not so sure about that as I got two things in Kentucky (dd and ds) that have been mighty expensive through the years. :rotfl2: We had only paid less than $400 a year for property taxes where we lived and the house was so good, in spite of being huge, that the utility bills were very reasonable. Having moved from there to here, AND a much smaller and well laid out place, our property taxes are half as are our utility bills and there is no state income tax. I figure that balances out the fact that our car and home insurance doubled. I had to get them quickly and did not have time to shop around so that might change. What part of Ky did you move from (we lived just to the north of you) and what part of FL did you move to? We are Tampa Bay.

SG/Linda

ha! :)

Lived right outside Louisville and now am in Winter Garden

Property taxes are a bit higher (but the house is worth considerably more than what I had before) Seems electricity is a bit more, too, and I do miss Kroger, that's for sure! Super Target is our preferred grocery store (along with the Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's). Publix is more expensive on almost everything and there isn't an Albertson's nearby.

Gas is actually cheaper down here. And, as you mentioned, no state income tax (automatic 8-10% raise! :) )

And add in the tons more sunshine and lack of snow and it's WELL worth the move! :)

SlightlyGoofy
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
JDUCKY, we lived outside Louisville too, over the bridge on the IN side. ;) The change in our lifestyle would have made it worth more even if it had been more expensive.

The HOA fees were the hardest thing to get adjusted to but most of the items that it covers are work that I used to have to do and between what we sold for and what it cost to buy (downsized) the difference will pay those fees for as long as we are apt to live. :hippie:

I miss Kroger too as there were some things (cheese) that you just cannot get down here. I am boycotting Super Target since I found out that you get a 5% discount for using their credit card and thus those who do not have the card are paying 5% more. The K Marts are better down here than they were back in IN. It is an adventure and if you are flexible it can be a fun one. I learn a bit more each and every day and I am amazed that despite this being an urban area it has not been that hard for me to find my way around and the winter traffic has not been anything like I feared. So what if gas mileage is half if you are only having to drive an average of 5 miles per day to do what you want?:rotfl:

I also do not mind needing to ablo espanol a bit either. I like the diversity. If all I interact with is folks who look and think like me I might well die of boredom instead of old age.:flower3:

Have a great day folks, I am off to play some cornhole, they call it a fancier name here but it is the same game. :rotfl2:

SG/Linda