PDA

View Full Version : Airfare cheaper thru Disney!

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I just wanted to put it out there for those of you, who, like me, are astounded by the recent airline price spikes. I am traveling from PHL to MCO in August, and I will only book nonstop flights with two kiddos.

One week ago, I could have gotten US Airways for $918 RT for 4 ppl. Not exactly the times we wanted, but nonstop, and we had estimated the cost of driving at $800 with the cost of gas/staying over on the way down/back, extra meals and snacks. For that small of a difference, vs. the long travel time of driving, we were going to go for it! So, I got back online the next day, and those same tickets were $1,806.:scared1:

Airtran and SW seem a little more reasonable, coming in right around $1k for the four of us.

Anyway, called Disney, and got nonstop RT flights on Airtran for a total of $754.:cool2: Those same tickets on the Airtran website were $956.

Moral of the story - call Disney and get their prices before you book through an airline, you might be surprised!

drinkme
03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
That's a huge difference in price. So, you called WDW reservations? I wonder if you could have gotten this great flight price through Disney's website?

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes, I was actually playing around on the website to get an idea of flights (building a package, then adding airfare, looking at the difference) when I found the $754 flights. I already had an existing MYW package reservation with no air, so I called WDW reservations to see if that was really the price, and it WAS!:banana:

mtquinn
03-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I just wanted to put it out there for those of you, who, like me, are astounded by the recent airline price spikes. I am traveling from PHL to MCO in August, and I will only book nonstop flights with two kiddos.

One week ago, I could have gotten US Airways for $918 RT for 4 ppl. Not exactly the times we wanted, but nonstop, and we had estimated the cost of driving at $800 with the cost of gas/staying over on the way down/back, extra meals and snacks. For that small of a difference, vs. the long travel time of driving, we were going to go for it! So, I got back online the next day, and those same tickets were $1,806.:scared1:

Airtran and SW seem a little more reasonable, coming in right around $1k for the four of us.

Anyway, called Disney, and got nonstop RT flights on Airtran for a total of $754.:cool2: Those same tickets on the Airtran website were $956.

Moral of the story - call Disney and get their prices before you book through an airline, you might be surprised!

I cannot BELIEVE this. We, too are four people leaving from Philly in late August. How can Disney get cheaper prices than the airline themselves??? I am going to call today. Four people for less than $800??!!! That is insane. Thank you for the tip!

Also, we were thinking of driving, too. Forget that!

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I cannot BELIEVE this. We, too are four people leaving from Philly in late August. How can Disney get cheaper prices than the airline themselves??? I am going to call today. Four people for less than $800??!!! That is insane. Thank you for the tip!

Also, we were thinking of driving, too. Forget that!

:lmao: My thoughts exactly!

I am flying out on a SAT and back on a THURS, if your dates are flexible you will get the best deal. We are staying 12 nights, and with airfare included our entire package is only $100 more than staying 7 nights because of the price difference in the flights.

Good luck! I hope you find reasonable flights...although we always start out saying we will drive, I have always found a way not to! The thought of all those hours with two kids and a DH and the heat, and anticipation...

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I just checked, Disney's price for Airtran is still $754, Airtran is now $1046 for the identical flight, and US Air is $1846 for similar flight times.

rvchat
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
I just checked, Disney's price for Airtran is still $754, Airtran is now $1046 for the identical flight, and US Air is $1846 for similar flight times.

Wait, so i can't get that price through aitran.com or expedia on the air, but i can get it if i call the 407 disney #? ????

thanks
:confused3

disney4rfamily
03-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Wow -- great deal. Where on the website can you check the price of airfare through Disney? I put in my reservation number but I don't see an airfare option.

sscassel
03-12-2011, 08:49 AM
NO NO NO!!! I live in the Phila area and have NEVER paid even that much .... WAY TOO Much. Go out of airtran. And if the Lehigh Valley airport is accessible to you, go out of there. NO headaches like PHL. I booked air for Aug. and paid $79 a flight for us. Last yr I got $69 and in the past I have seen $49 & 59 ...SOOOO if you haven't paid for your tix, go to Airtran.com. Though the prices have gone up since I booked, I have never used US Air, or any of those because way too expensive.

L-Harper
03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I just checked out some flights too through Disney and then directly through the Airtran site and the same exact flights for 4 people were $40 cheaper total through Disney. This is interesting.

rvchat
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I just checked out some flights too through Disney and then directly through the Airtran site and the same exact flights for 4 people were $40 cheaper total through Disney. This is interesting.

you called on the phone? to which #?

sscassel
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I have always traveled with airtran thru PHL & Allentown. Allentown was a breathe of fresh air if you have never used them, try it. But since 2005 I always noticed if AT was going to lower prices, it was always on Tues, Wed or Thursday. Not always weekly . So keep your eys open for the deals:thumbsup2

MomRN
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
We are leaving in October... way far off, but airline prices and gas were making me nervous. I had a price in mind I was willing to pay, and if I found that deal or lower I was going to hop on it. I was also checking the Disney site and found Airtran prices to be cheaper than what was posted at that time.

However, within a week airtran was offering the same prices. I have not noticed it to go down any lower, but if it did... or if disney offered them cheaper, is there anyway to get a credit? If not, no biggie, because I really can't see them going down to much more (about $250 round trip/person Indy-MCO).

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I just checked the Allentown to MCO, and for my dates, it would be about $1200, and if I switched to T,W, or R flights like PP suggested, it still is over $800. Not a bad idea to research for next time though. That is what I love about these boards, so much info I wouldn't think of myself!

mwatson011
03-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Wow -- great deal. Where on the website can you check the price of airfare through Disney? I put in my reservation number but I don't see an airfare option.

You cannot change your own reservation online. I just pretended I was making a new package, picked any resort, just used my actual dates and correct number of people. Run the numbers without airfare, then with the airfare and take the difference.

The reservation center has the same prices as online, so when I saw the deal I just called the number on Disney's website and they were able to help me.

mickeyplanner08
03-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I did it, too! Flights were 997.60 through AT, got them through Disney for $717.60! You rock, OP:cool1::cool1:

DisMN
03-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't suppose a person can get just their air tickets through Disney, right? LOL

edk35
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't suppose a person can get just their air tickets through Disney, right? LOL

Hmmmm I wonder too because we are DVC members.

DisneyRunner2009
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I also used Disney for airfare. Flying out of Milwaukee mid-August, for under $200 per person. The $200 flight is our price point. I booked this just a few weeks before the bottom dropped out. I was wondering if you can use Disney for airfare with a room only discount. My thought is probably not as the airfare would make it a package. My eldest DD is uncertain about her summer plans, so her airfare is still up in the "air." :rotfl: She would be flying out of Minneapolis, and it's not cheap.

plutolovr
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Just and FYI, NEVER look at airfare on a weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday are the best days. :thumbsup2

mickeyplanner08
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Just and FYI, NEVER look at airfare on a weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday are the best days. :thumbsup2

My great deal was a Saturday to Sunday flight, so you just never know!

mwatson011
03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
I was wondering if you can use Disney for airfare with a room only discount. My thought is probably not as the airfare would make it a package. My eldest DD is uncertain about her summer plans, so her airfare is still up in the "air." :rotfl: She would be flying out of Minneapolis, and it's not cheap.

I think you can. If you try to book online, and choose room only, there is still an option to book flights. So, it would be the same talking to a Disney agent. Airfare has to be paid for at the time of booking in any case though.

mtquinn
03-13-2011, 08:40 AM
We are DVC members and it seems we cannot use Disney for airfare. Every time I tried to call Disney Travel they had to send me over to Member Services, and they don't do air. I am SO depressed!

I cannot believe DVC members are not able to book air this way! It's crazy! Am I mistaken?

mjlewis23
03-13-2011, 10:02 AM
My great deal was a Saturday to Sunday flight, so you just never know!

I think plutolovr meant that when you are shopping for airfare, don't shop on a weekend. The airline's prices listed are usually lower when searching for airfare on a Tuesday or Wednesday, then go up exponentially during the week. (not the dates of travel)

purplepixiedust
03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
When I was planning our first trip last year a friend of mine who frequents Disney told me it was "ok to look at prices on the Disney site, but never book airfare there because it was terribly expensive" . I was playing around on the reservations page one day in late January and found a trip in our budget and tried the airfare option just to see.. The price was $880 for four of us round trip direct flights both ways at better times than I could find myself on the Continental site with what was left of the availabler reservations (four week window from the day I was looking until we left for the trip). I was so impressed! I called my husband at work and we ended up booking ASAP. LOL! It was awesome. BUT I have yet to be that lucky again with airfare lately when "browsing" and trying to get an idea for a budget for a trip next February.. It is funny because our whole trip (six nights at POP (room off discount (think it was about$500 for room), airfare, dining QS and 6 day tickets with ph option) cost us $3000. Now when I am looking at free dining pin offer, and other room discounts offers it seems like it is still the same amount or close or a little over..

mwatson011
03-13-2011, 10:51 AM
It is funny because our whole trip (six nights at POP (room off discount (think it was about$500 for room), airfare, dining QS and 6 day tickets with ph option) cost us $3000. Now when I am looking at free dining pin offer, and other room discounts offers it seems like it is still the same amount or close or a little over..

That sounds high...we are booked for 12 nights at POP in August, std room, 10 day MYW base ticktes, QSDP for 2A & 2C, and the four RT nonstop flights for a total of $3086 using the free QSDP Pin.

tinkmom2
03-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I am waiting for the summer airfare sales. Two years ago airfare was crazy expensive. I booked right away. Over the summer airfare went on sale and I could have saved over $500.00 on tickets.

My experience with Disney air was not a good one. I used them for our DCL cruise. We were coming in from Milwaukee. We didn't have non stop flights and didn't get to the ship until after 3. We almost missed the ship. We hadn't eaten all day and couldn't order anything from room service. From then on I always book my own. I am signed up at all the airlines for price alerts and kayak.com and trip advisor for airfare warnings.

This airfare deal seems like a good one but I will pass.

hpfan100
03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
checked dates for July trip and the airfare is way cheaper through Disney. It was 470 round trip on SW but through Disney on US air (:sick:) only 426. Hmmm that is interesting. Not that big of a savings to make me buy it through Disney but it's something

pigletto
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I just looked at our dates. Disney could put us on a decent Airtran flight for 800 return for four people out of Buffalo.:scared1::scared1::scared1:

I could not find ANYTHING cheaper than 1200. That is a huge difference. We had absolutley decided to drive. Now I'm not so sure.

ceecee
03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I checked and they are sold out of tickets for our date of arrival and said to choose a different day...no thanks.

starstruck93
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm I wonder too because we are DVC members.

Us too and wondering the same thing. We're already booked at BCV for Sept. but we need a good price on airfare!:goodvibes April

edk35
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I wonder if it will be cheaper thru Disney for our dates in June 2012 than booking directly with Airtran. We are going on a cruise and are flying down either one or two days before our trip and staying a few days after. I am going to have them check for me when we get close enough to book airfare.

Moonies
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
When we originally planned out how we wanted to book, all the flights out of Pearson (for Toronto, Canada) were +$500 roundtrip each (before taxes) with times that didn't suit us. We tried all the cheap sites and different ways of doing it.

On a whim our only male traveler told me to try booking through Disney with the rest of the package. Now we're travelling out of Buffalo (which I'm told is much preferred compared to Pearson's large insanity) for $300 each after tax.

In the future we'll always check with Disney first now. At first I thought it might be a fluke/because we were changing the fact that we were no longer crossing countries in the air, but now I know!:goodvibes

pigletto
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
When we originally planned out how we wanted to book, all the flights out of Pearson (for Toronto, Canada) were +$500 roundtrip each (before taxes) with times that didn't suit us. We tried all the cheap sites and different ways of doing it.

On a whim our only male traveler told me to try booking through Disney with the rest of the package. Now we're travelling out of Buffalo (which I'm told is much preferred compared to Pearson's large insanity) for $300 each after tax.

In the future we'll always check with Disney first now. At first I thought it might be a fluke/because we were changing the fact that we were no longer crossing countries in the air, but now I know!:goodvibes

Buffalo is much better than Pearson. We use it instead all the time:)
And.. once you added those taxes onto those 500 dollar flights in Canada they would have been closer to 800 or 900. The flights in Canada look reasonable until you add in the taxes and fees at the end and then they are insane. I have never been able to come close to what I pay out of Buffalo on a Toronto flight. It's always double or more:scared1:

happymom2one
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
call me clueless but... where are you getting these great deals? is it just calling? what department when you call Disney? Any help would be wonderful.... already dreaming of my trip for January 2013! yep, I am that sad.

pigletto
03-17-2011, 02:44 PM
call me clueless but... where are you getting these great deals? is it just calling? what department when you call Disney? Any help would be wonderful.... already dreaming of my trip for January 2013! yep, I am that sad.

When you price out a package on the website (not sure if you can do it for your dates yet)... you just add on the Air option and it will tell you the prices for Disney flights for your dates.

brerrabbit
03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I tried, but the faires came out the same on Continetal as SW. SW wins though because they fly from a smaller airport 10 minutes away as opposed to the big airport an hour away, plus no bag fees on SW.

I always price disney airline tickets when I book a trip, just in case.

DisneyRunner2009
03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I use the Disney website, add flight option, to check pricing. Then I call, confirm and book using the 407-Disney number. :thumbsup2

Sal
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks to the OP!

We booked airfare through Disney and paid less. Airtran price 244 before taxes. Disney $199 taxes included.

angel's momma
03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks OP! :)

Airtran $230, Disney $180.

dislaney
03-17-2011, 06:29 PM
I guess I'm the only one that didn't get better airfare through Disney. They had the exact same price I found on the airline website. Maybe it depends on the airline?!:confused3

Minniegirl71
03-17-2011, 06:45 PM
We are saving about $479 by booking through Disney with airtran out of Milwaukee (MKE). We are going July13-20 with 4 people. That is with the same days and flight times on both sites. Couldn't pass that up. Every dollar saved is more for our trip once we get there.

Me:cloud9::cloud9:, DH:confused3, DS(15):worship: and DD(10):cheer2:

OhMari
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
We are saving about $479 by booking through Disney with airtran out of Milwaukee (MKE). We are going July13-20 with 4 people. That is with the same days and flight times on both sites. Couldn't pass that up. Every dollar saved is more for our trip once we get there.

Me:cloud9::cloud9:, DH:confused3, DS(15):worship: and DD(10):cheer2:

Frontier, AirTran and Southwest have the exact same prices to fly from Milwaukee to Orlando. I starting watching the prices since last month. I should of booked with Frontier, they were the first to release their dates and we could of got tickets for Aug/Sept. $96 down and $86 back. Now it is $136 each way, which isn't to bad, but I could kick myself thinking AirTran and Southwest would be cheaper. Prices started out at $98 and has been climbing every week.

LittleDino
03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks OP!!!

We just booked airfare through Disney for $929.15 for 5 of us! That's $185.83 per person. Saved us $417 buying airfare through Disney rather than directly from the Airtran site. We also took advantage of the room only discount and saved 40% off our villa at Old Key West! :goodvibes

AndreaDM
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I guess I'm the only one that didn't get better airfare through Disney. They had the exact same price I found on the airline website. Maybe it depends on the airline?!

What are your trip dates? It must depend on that, or they only have so many discounts per date. I priced trips for early August and they were the exact same as Airtran, late August/early Sept., almost $100 less per person through Disney.

dumbodame
03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I checked this for my August trip.

Alaska Airlines $302
Disney $387

happymom2one
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
When you price out a package on the website (not sure if you can do it for your dates yet)... you just add on the Air option and it will tell you the prices for Disney flights for your dates.

Thanks so much for the information, i thought that was just to put in the flights you have already booked...

mwatson011
03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I am so happy I am helping my disney friends save $$$...so nice for a chance to give back for the wonderful advice I have found here!!!:hug:

DisneyRunner2009
03-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I believe someone else mentioned using a room only discount and booking airfare through Disney. I made a payment on Saturday and asked about this topic. I was told, you can book airfare through Disney with a room only code. This is good to know. I may have to do this for my DD.