PDA

View Full Version : New ways to beat the economy crunch

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Friday nights are usually my nights off from cooking. We would typically order pizza and I could just relax. Well, it's getting expensive. But I still want my Friday nights off. :) So now I cook dinner on Friday morning to reheat Friday night. It's close enough.

What ways are you changing with the economy crunch (rising gas prices and rising grocery prices)?

Diegosmom
03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Why dont you just double cook Thur night so then you get all of Friday off...

Hoping there are some good tips here. I just filled up my gas tank (in my car) and it was $52 wow...I remember the days of $25...

eliza61
03-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Friday nights are usually my nights off from cooking. We would typically order pizza and I could just relax. Well, it's getting expensive. But I still want my Friday nights off. :) So now I cook dinner on Friday morning to reheat Friday night. It's close enough.

What ways are you changing with the economy crunch (rising gas prices and rising grocery prices)?

Speaking of pizza... We've actually changed our pizza night. I'm exactly like you, friday night was the end of a work week, no need to rush and get ready for school etc, etc.

My favorite pizza place started a new promotion. tues& wednesday, 2 large pizzas with 1 topping for 17.99. So now we moved my relax night to Wednesday, I pick up the 2 pizzas (under 20 bucks) and I like it just as much, no cooking or cleaning and I saved 1/2 of what I'd spend on a Friday.

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
That's a good idea. I'm right with you on the gas! And the grocery prices! Less for more. It's really a tight squeeze.

I do cook dinner typically in the mornings anyway (as I get everything together for the day). I could throw something on the stove or oven for Friday on Thursday. That would work. It doesn't take that long in the mornings. But by afternoon/evening I'm not as peppy and it's chaos with the kids and unpacking from school, etc., so it helps a lot to do it in advance.

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Speaking of pizza... We've actually changed our pizza night. I'm exactly like you, friday night was the end of a work week, no need to rush and get ready for school etc, etc.

My favorite pizza place started a new promotion. tues& wednesday, 2 large pizzas with 1 topping for 17.99. So now we moved my relax night to Wednesday, I pick up the 2 pizzas (under 20 bucks) and I like it just as much, no cooking or cleaning and I saved 1/2 of what I'd spend on a Friday.

I think we have something like that too around here. I'll have to look into it. Friday has been so ingrained. :upsidedow

ccgirl
03-11-2011, 08:28 AM
We used to do pizza night on Friday nights and, like you, found it was getting expensive. So, now I buy frozen pizzas. Saves a bundle.

I have been using Peapod by Stop&Shop to deliver my groceries. While this may make some people confused it saves me my gasoline and time and cuts way down on my impulse buying. I only buy what is on sale (my pantry is already stocked) and then I use those items and make a 2 week meal plan. That way if I get stuck at work late my DH knows what to cook.

I have been buying meat in bulk. I got an 8 lb. pork tenderloin and cut that up myself into pork chops, two roasts and some pork that we can skewer on the grill. It is much cheaper doing it this way.

I have been asking myself the question, "do I want this or do I need this?" a lot.

I have been trying to coupon more.

I have been doing the double cooking as well. I work full time M-F so I have a little extra time to cook on the weekends.

It's amazing how much money I can save when I am more prepared.

ccgirl
03-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I think we have something like that too around here. I'll have to look into it. Friday has been so ingrained. :upsidedow

Just a reminder, it is Lent now so a lot of places have pizza specials on Friday now too!! ;)

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks, ccgirl. Good ideas! :)

Free4Life11
03-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Gas:
Consolidate trips to avoid making unnecessary trips. Walk to the grocery store/Walgreens (both within 1 mile) for small stock ups. Use Shell Saver Debit Card to get $.10 off per gallon thru 4/30/11. Buy gas at Daily's so I can get the Shell discount AND earn points for free products. Drive the speed limit on the highway and accelerate more slowly and coast to red lights.

Groceries/Food:
Eat out less AND try to onyl eat at places with a coupon. Watch the deals closely and STOCK up on healthy staples.

Try to find discounts where I can...Winn Dixie Fuel Perks...Upromise...Coupons.com...Target Debit Card...Shell Saver Card, etc.

v.t.
03-11-2011, 08:36 AM
We have been eating out of the freezer and the pantry a lot more. While they are not my favorite meals, venison meatloaf :rolleyes2, I have saved quite a bit on the grocery bill as well as gas money.
We are also starting to carpool to Sam's and Aldi's. It much more fun to shop with friends. Of course then we have to eat out......:rolleyes1

leadfootlevi
03-11-2011, 09:42 AM
We don't go out to eat unless we have a coupon or we can get good happy hour specials (1/2 price appetizers - we get apps for dinner, applebees has $5 burgers with fries on Mondays from 4 - close, local mexican place has $0.50 cent tacos on Mondays, I have a few buy 1 get 1 free coupons for Ruby Tuesdays, etc). We try to limit our eating out to 1x per week. If we don't have a coupon or a good special - no eating out. During lent we go to the church dinners on Wednesdays (free will offering), so we're adding an extra day for a few weeks. :thumbsup2

luckey-lasvegas
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
The $5 rotissere chickens at Sam's club are my best friends. DD and DH like the dark meat and I usally just eat 1/2 of a breast. I only have to make a side and a veggie to go with it. The next day I use the left over breast for taco's, paninni's, cream chicken and noodles or chicken salad sandwhiches.:thumbsup2

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
The $5 rotissere chickens at Sam's club are my best friends. DD and DH like the dark meat and I usally just eat 1/2 of a breast. I only have to make a side and a veggie to go with it. The next day I use the left over breast for taco's, paninni's, cream chicken and noodles or chicken salad sandwhiches.:thumbsup2

I've been using the rotisserie chicken too, around once a week. We do the same things with the leftovers as you. We get two meals out of it, so it works out pretty well. Sometimes I can get the chicken for less than $5 at the grocery when they run a sale.

I've made chicken enchiladas with the leftovers (really easy, the recipe is on the enchilada sauce (can) --- sauce, tortillas, & shredded cheese. I think that's about it. Tasty! Last night I just shredded the chicken and added chicken gravy. Put it over mashed potatoes. It was good on a chilly night. I also like to make chicken pot pies.

ccgirl
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM

How could I forget that??? BJ's has the same. We try to have that once a week. It can feed all 4 of us and I still have leftovers. I can make chicken salad, chicken soup, and lots of good stuff!

ccgirl
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I've been using the rotisserie chicken too, around once a week. We do the same things with the leftovers as you. We get two meals out of it, so it works out pretty well. Sometimes I can get the chicken for less than $5 at the grocery when they run a sale.

I've made chicken enchiladas with the leftovers (really easy, the recipe is on the enchilada sauce (can) --- sauce, tortillas, & shredded cheese. I think that's about it. Tasty! Last night I just shredded the chicken and added chicken gravy. Put it over mashed potatoes. It was good on a chilly night. I also like to make chicken pot pies.

Ohhh...I like the chicken enchilada's and the chicken with gravy. My kids would LOVE that! Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for starting this thread!:goodvibes

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Ohhh...I like the chicken enchilada's and the chicken with gravy. My kids would LOVE that! Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for starting this thread!:goodvibes

You're welcome!

We have to get creative especially in times like these.

amy-momofthree
03-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Little Caesars has large pizza, breadsticks and a two liter for 8.99!

We get this every Friday. It's not the best pizza but it's fresh and the kids love it!

Oh and just the pizza is $5. This is not a special, it's the regular price

OceanAnnie
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
My DH wanted to take us out to a burger place tonight for something different. They make the best milkshakes. Well I saw angus burgers on sale for $3.98 a package so I got a few (some for later). And I bought the makings for some milkshakes too. I think the trip out would've cost us at least $25. I can make it all at home for maybe a little over $10 (and have leftovers with the ice cream, bread, and we won't use all of the FFs I bought).

I'd rather eat out less and go to a nicer restaurant once in awhile. :) DH is just glad for the savings.

DawnM
03-11-2011, 11:28 AM
We typically have pizza Fridays or Saturdays, but we get Costco pizza. I think the ingredients are fresher than the frozen stuff. We like it better anyway.

Dawn

mdrob214
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Gas:
Consolidate trips to avoid making unnecessary trips. Walk to the grocery store/Walgreens (both within 1 mile) for small stock ups. Use Shell Saver Debit Card to get $.10 off per gallon thru 4/30/11. Buy gas at Daily's so I can get the Shell discount AND earn points for free products. Drive the speed limit on the highway and accelerate more slowly and coast to red lights.

Groceries/Food:
Eat out less AND try to onyl eat at places with a coupon. Watch the deals closely and STOCK up on healthy staples.

Try to find discounts where I can...Winn Dixie Fuel Perks...Upromise...Coupons.com...Target Debit Card...Shell Saver Card, etc.
You would be amazed at how much driving at or near the speed limit and not flooring it at every light can save! Just good luck not getting run over by the other cars who are in a hurry!:sad2:

We stopped having pizza delivered. We either make our own, buy frozen, or pick it up when we're already out for other errands. Helps to have the pizza place # programmed into your cell!:rolleyes1

lovemygoofy
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
We are having a swap items party later this month that includes 4 other couples and their kids. Women are swapping books including cook books and also accessories like purses, belts and shoes. The men are swapping video games and books and each child is bringing books or 3 toys to swap out.

I'm providing several homemade pizzas. Another couple is bringing dessert, other bringing the drinks and another couple is bringing plates and stuff so less cleanup.

We all enjoy hanging out and I don't care about everyone running around the house. We also are rotating houses for get togethers. It almost looks like the commercials where people are getting together.

ccgirl
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
We are having a swap items party later this month that includes 4 other couples and their kids. Women are swapping books including cook books and also accessories like purses, belts and shoes. The men are swapping video games and books and each child is bringing books or 3 toys to swap out.

I'm providing several homemade pizzas. Another couple is bringing dessert, other bringing the drinks and another couple is bringing plates and stuff so less cleanup.

We all enjoy hanging out and I don't care about everyone running around the house. We also are rotating houses for get togethers. It almost looks like the commercials where people are getting together.

This is a really neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

lovemygoofy
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
This is a really neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

No problem, I've also learned that if you can get enough couples/families together alot of places will give a group discount.

Last month we had 6 couples and almost 15 children and received a group discount for bowling during a mid Saturday morning. Several of the same people are going skating soon and we are talking about breaking down the costs of renting a boat out for a weekend as a treat.

I know that most people are feeling the same money crunch and it's nice to still "indulge" on a budget. The whole misery loves company is the truth!

Free4Life11
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
You would be amazed at how much driving at or near the speed limit and not flooring it at every light can save! Just good luck not getting run over by the other cars who are in a hurry!:sad2:

I'm hoping to see better mileage...I admit that it's hard not to speed when it seems like everyone around me is flying but I can't afford these high gas prices!

mdrob214
03-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm hoping to see better mileage...I admit that it's hard not to speed when it seems like everyone around me is flying but I can't afford these high gas prices!

My DH has increased his mileage for his truck from 14 mpg to 17 mpg mostly by staying around 2000-2500RPM. You can still drive fast--it's that acceleration that kills the mileage.

shelwoj
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Don't forget to boil the carcass for chicken stock! I make homemade egg noodles add them to the stock and it's one of our favorite meals.

laurafergie
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Hoping there are some good tips here. I just filled up my gas tank (in my car) and it was $52 wow...I remember the days of $25...

I'm old enough to remember when gas was so cheap - it wasn't even a line item in our budget! I just filled up my minivan today, and it was $58..sigh.

I have been haunting sales for food at Amazon. The subscribe and save feature is awesome, and you can cancel anytime. My latest purchase at Amazon was 4 boxes of Apple Jacks cereal for 5.29 shipped to my door. Can't beat that.

HannaBelle
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
My latest purchase at Amazon was 4 boxes of Apple Jacks cereal for 5.29 shipped to my door. Can't beat that.

:thumbsup2 Nice find!

We buy all of our meat in bulk and portion it out. I try to cook once and eat twice. Grill chicken breasts on Monday, then use leftover for grilled chicken Caesar salad later in the week. (I do this with Salmon too, but it is NOT budget friendly! Lol) I too am a huge fan of the Sam’s rotisserie chickens. I have teenagers, so we eat one whole chicken for a meal. I like to go to Sam’s on Saturday with the whole family, snack on the samples for lunch, buy 2 chickens…everyone gets a dark meat quarter for dinner and then I have enough chicken breast for 2 more meals.

Here is one of my favorite go to recipes for the rotisserie chicken meat.

Chicken & Broccoli Casserole

Using a 9x13 casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, layer one bag of frozen broccoli, 2 shredded chicken breasts, spread 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and cover it with foil. Baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Pull it out, remove the foil, place a layer of American cheese slices on top and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes. If you like your broccoli soft, leave it in 30 minutes before adding the cheese.

I just wish my DH was on board with working at cutting back. It is hard when your SO spends money you would prefer to save. :headache:

jgreco
03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I just wish my DH was on board with working at cutting back. It is hard when your SO spends money you would prefer to save. :headache:[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

I feel you. For every dollar I save, he spends 10! We do ok financially, but I hate to be wasteful, so he thinks I am cheap. My family grew up poor, so I am a creature of habit.

AndreaDM
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd rather eat out less and go to a nicer restaurant once in awhile

I totally agree! I would rather go out to a very nice dinner once a month than a so-so place every week. That's why I cook almost every single night, or cook enough one night to have leftovers the next. I can't stand paying for mediocre food and crappy service! We had friends ask us to go out tomorrow night, but instead they are coming over for drinks and a ton of appetizers, much cheaper and just as much fun!

We are lucky to have a dollar theater nearby, so any movies we see are there.

Mom_Rides
03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
We've cut down on eating out as much as what we had previously. I lost my job a year and half ago, spent 6 months unemployed and when I got my new job, it came at $4 less per hour. We had to make a huge budget overhaul.

The one thing we've been doing is showing the kids how much fun we can have at home. And honestly, we're learning too! We spend so much more time together now then we ever have and its nice to sit around the table after dinner and talk, instead of feeling rushed out of the restaurant. We play more board games or Wii games together. DH saved gift cards from his birthday and Christmas and got an XBox that him and the boys play together. We gather around the TV for family movies on Netflix. We've built snowmen this winter and played with the dogs in the snow. We bake more with our kids and let them help plan meals out.

And we've learned to make our favorite restaurant meals at home. Even though some of them may cost a little bit more, spending $20 to make a meal at home is a heck of a lot cheaper then the $60+ for us to get it out!

MrsPete
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Friday has been so ingrained. :upsidedowFriday's everyone's pizza night -- that's why they never run specials on Friday!

C.Ann
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Love this idea!! What a great way to indulge in some "new to you" items without all the expense of going out and purchasing the items.. I could see these types of parties becoming a huge hit! :thumbsup2

pampam
03-12-2011, 05:38 AM

Please tell me more. Do you do this at home with friends?

aprilgail2
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Mine was 72.00 to fill up yesterday!

We eat out a few times a week (anywhere from 2-5 times!) but I use doubletakedeals.com and get the coupons for half off restaurants there. I like it MUCH better than restuarant.com because its not a coupon like at restaurant.com- you don't have to spend 50.00 to be able to use it!

reggiemcp
03-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi

Did not read all the posts, but was in the same position. I stopped working to stay home with my son and decided Friday night delivery was a waste of money. So I went to Target and spent $16 for Cuisinart Pizza Pan, buy frozen dough at the market ($2.50 for two crusts) and $1.69 at Trader Joe's for their pizza sauce (delicious - can get 2-3 large pizzas from jar). I get my fresh mozzarella at Costco (under $10 - and get 2-3 pizzas from it). I sometimes add eggplant, mushrooms or pepperoni to it.

Pizza takes about ten minutes to make and ten to cook. Comes out with thin crust crispy delicious pie every time. So now we have homemade pizza with our Friday night movie every week. I don't feel like I am throwing money away anymore.

Try it out and you will be very happy.

4luv2cdisney
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
We typically have pizza Fridays or Saturdays, but we get Costco pizza. I think the ingredients are fresher than the frozen stuff. We like it better anyway.

Dawn

Yep, we have replaced our fast food habit with a Costco habit! It (seems) healthier and cheaper. Not as cheap or healthy as making dinner from scratch, but it is a nice alternative on a night when there is just no time to cook. I also try crock pot meals once or twice per week, but sometimes my mornings don't go as planned and it just doesn't get done. My Costco is less than 1 mile from home, so very convenient for us. From the "fresh" section we like their fettucini alfredo, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, korean beef...(each around $12), rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes ($5+$2.50), pizza ($10). We buy their angus cheeseburgers from frozen and serve with carrot sticks and cucumber slices with dip instead of fries. You can keep these in the fridge for 2 weeks and just pop in the microwave.

Looking for more ideas,too....as the need for budget cuts keep coming. :rolleyes: Last time gas prices spiked up, we were spending nearly $800 / mo on gas:scared1: I don't even track it anymore...makes me crazy!

princessnoelly
03-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Dawn

Us too....I love Costco! :love:

NiftyJ88
03-12-2011, 09:40 AM
One of our local pizza joints sells pizza kits. It's 3 12" crusts with sauce and cheese for under $9. We're a family of 3, so we just make some salads and we each eat a few slices of pizza and it's a super cheap and very tasty dinner because it is all fresh ingredients. We eat one pizza for a meal. So for about 3-4 bucks when you add in the salad, we all eat.

LUVMYTINK
03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
For the past year I have switched from buying pizzas to making my own, except maybe once a month or every other month during the school year when I go get acouple from Little Caesar (once a month from 4-8pm they donate 15% of their profits to my kids school).

This year with all my kids involved in baseball or softball I am using my crockpot every night they have practices ( and once games start too) instead of stopping for a pizza or going thru a drive thru.

Marionnette
03-12-2011, 10:00 AM

No problem, I've also learned that if you can get enough couples/families together alot of places will give a group discount.

Last month we had 6 couples and almost 15 children and received a group discount for bowling during a mid Saturday morning. Several of the same people are going skating soon and we are talking about breaking down the costs of renting a boat out for a weekend as a treat.

I know that most people are feeling the same money crunch and it's nice to still "indulge" on a budget. The whole misery loves company is the truth!

These are probably the two most original ideas that I've seen on this board in while. I love the idea of forming a group in order to qualify for discounts. What a great way to save money!

nstem
03-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I've been getting more creative with http://www.restaurant.com/

I used to buy the small certificate as I couldn't spend the amount for the next level. Than I got smart. Yesterday we went out I bought the $25 gift certificate and you are required to spend $45. (I paid $3.50) My bill with tip was $52. so I paid $27 last night plus the $3.50 in advance for $30 total. Three of us plus I order extra food to go to hit the 45 total. Now I have dinner for the 4 of tonight. Very happy to have essentially two meals out for $30!

lovemygoofy
03-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Please tell me more. Do you do this at home with friends?

Yes normally we do it at my home just because we have lots of room and don't care if the kids go wild. We have a man room with a kids room off of it in the basement and then the ladies can hang out upstairs.

Basically you can swap anything at all. Right now would be a great time to swap out spring/summer items. At our next party we are swapping cook books and jewelry. One of us keeps a detailed list of what is swapped and we usually keep 90 days and do another rotation. The kids can swap toys;the guys swap video games or books or even magazines.

I'm providing several homemade pizzas and then the other couples will bring everything to round out the meal.

We also play "restaurant night" where we have a themed night for example hispanic food and every family has to bring a hispanic entree to share. We all get different items to try and we don't have a to tip a waiter at the end of the night.

momof1princess
03-12-2011, 02:48 PM
we usually have pizza once a week, so instead of getting take out, we buy a mega meat, great value pizza at wal-mart. it is DELICIOUS and we can get two meals out of it. throw in a salad (.99 head of lettuce at aldi) and it makes two VERY cheap meals.

thebeesknees
03-12-2011, 04:36 PM

This is a great idea. I am usually able to get 3 meals out of a chicken - we eat the thighs and 1/2 of 1 breast for dinner the first night. The second meal, I cut the remaining large pieces of chicken off and cube it for a casserole, etc. - I often freeze this so that I can pull it out later in the week. Lastly, I throw the carcass into the crock pot and simmer it until the remaining meat falls off the bone. Strain and pick out the bones and remaining bits of meat, then return it to the pot to make a big batch of chicken soup with the bits of meat and a bag of mixed veggies, and some quick-cook barley thrown in.

nsmith
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
[
I have been buying meat in bulk. I got an 8 lb. pork tenderloin and cut that up myself into pork chops, two roasts and some pork that we can skewer on the grill. It is much cheaper doing it this way.

Did you know that when you buy a large piece of meat at the grocery store you can have the butcher cut it up for you? I did that this week w/ the $1.49 pork roast deal, cut the roast in half, had one half cut into two roast for the crock pot and the other into 3/4 inch chops.

mjbaby
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
My husband and I each registered for groupon and living social and have been enjoying those discounts, trying new favorites and loving when someplace we already like has an offer. Men and women - even when everything else is identical - seem to get different offers so we make a point to compare.

We've been able to get a family membership to a local arboretum for $22 (something that usually goes for $70 or so), $20 for $50 at a locally owned restaurant that we really like (we bought the limit of three allowed), $20 for a mani-pedi at my usual place! (When you use these, don't forget to tip on the full value of the purchase!) There have been other great offers, too - museums, bowling, all kinds of things. These services have really helped us maximize our discretionary dollars.

DZNEE4US
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I have started shopping at Aldi's more, and trying new things there. I tried their regular potato chips, and found them to be quite good (I even fooled my daughter- she didn't notice a difference). Their Clancys' Cool Ranch Doritos are awesome! I couldn't tell a difference. I really was hesitant to try them, buy I am so glad I did. The chips were like $1.19, and the Ranch tortillas were only .99!!! The Lays' brand of chips would cost anywhere from $2.50- $3.00. I am actually having fun shopping there, and seeing what I can get for less. Their produce prices have been fabulous along with their dairy items. If I can't tell a difference in taste, why should I be paying for it?

hoffmann2828
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I've been trying to cook way more from "scratch". Getting out of a box! Some things are super cheap to make (around .40 for a loaf of French bread vs. $2.79 at our local store or .30 for fresh pasta) and taste better!