PDA

View Full Version : Gaylord Palms

Iowa
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Gaylord Palms resort? I will be traveling to Orlando in May on business. I have at least one free day and was wondering if anyone had used this resorts shuttle to WDW? If so, is it an efficient choice or should I plan on using a taxi?

Massillon Dad
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
it stops at other hotels as well as delivers to other parks. Taxi might cost $15...but I'll bet you can split that fare with 2-3 other people wantin to get out of the drooling bus line wait. P.S. : definitely eat @ the Gaylord's Mediterrenian buffet

dvcHammer
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
The Gaylord is a great hotel, but call a cab to get to the parks.

disnut8
03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
If you have only one free day, then call a cab. Don't waste time with the shuttles. And check out the alligators on the first floor of the Gaylord.

i3utterfli82
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I LOVE Gaylord Palms...take a cab, the shuttles are not practical.

jgates
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
You may actually want to check into car rental rates for your trip. There is a daily parking fee at GP, HOWEVER.............

Food at GP is very expensive (our software company goes to a Gaylord Property for conference every year - same at each location $$$). If you do not get served supper by the conference sponsor, those meals can be very pricey. Best example - we ate at Gaylord Texan - supper for 2 of us with 1 drink each was $100 with tip. At GP we drove offsite & ate at Earl of Sandwich at DTD for under $20. That $80 paid over half of our rental fee.

Factor in shuttle cost to & from the hotel. That took care of the rest of the rental for us.

We ate off-site 3 other meals I believe which MORE than paid for double or so of the parking fee. Our employer actually came out WAY ahead by us renting a vehicle when you factored everything into the equation.

If not, if you can work the shuttle for getting to a park, you can always taxi back from whatever place you end up at your own convenience - then you are only paying for one direction.

And there's always the 'tacky' method. You could take a bus back to the closest Disney resort (???POP or All Stars??? - it's one of the values) & then take a taxi from there LOL!!!

TheRustyScupper
03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
1) The Gaylord Palms is a huge conference resort.
2) Although very big, it is also quite nice.
3) We eat at the Gaylord Buffet 3-4 times per year.
. . . twice per month we eat out at the local hotels
. . . the Gaylord has a superior buffet, especially on holidays
. . . we usually do it for Mother's Day, Christmas Day, Valentines Day, Easter
4) As for Disney
. . . the taxi is by far the best way to get to/from Disney
. . . there are taxis available at the hotel and Disney, so no problems
. . . the shuttle is very time-restricting, so I would not select it

Iowa
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advice...sounds like a taxi is the way to go....

Anyone been to the spa at the resort?

disnut1149
04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Gaylord Palms resort? I will be traveling to Orlando in May on business. I have at least one free day and was wondering if anyone had used this resorts shuttle to WDW? If so, is it an efficient choice or should I plan on using a taxi?

HI
My DH has a conference there in May. I thought I would go shopping at DTD while he was at his meeting, and would take a shuttle. But I think taking a taxi might be the way to go.

jgates
04-16-2011, 12:06 AM
The taxi to DTD shouldn't run too much. Three of the girls at our conference took one to the outlet mall (which is about 1.5 miles north of DTD) & they said it ran about $12 one way for the 3 of them. (We gave them a ride back).

Lynne M
04-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Since the Gaylord Palms is off-property, I'm going to move this to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. :)

rmm7e
04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I stayed at GP aka The Biodome in 12/2009 for work, and took their shuttle one evening and thought it was fine. I think it went to the TTC and I hopped on the monorail to Epcot. Coming back it was a bus direct from the Epcot lot back to the hotel.

I obviously did not have a car on that trip and I have to say I felt trapped as far as eating in their WAY overpriced restaurants. The place is completely isolated meaning nothing within walking distance. i think its outrageous that they charge to park, and felt totally ripped off staying there, even tho my company paid.

Sorry, unexpected rant there!