PDA

View Full Version : using VRBO

mjmartin01
03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I just found the condo that we want to rent for our vacation in August 2012. :cool1: I'm so nervous using VRBO. Can anyone calm my nerves? We usually stay at a timeshare through RCI but wanted to try some place different.... please give me the good and bad of renting through VRBO...thanks

quagmire0
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I just found the condo that we want to rent for our vacation in August 2012. :cool1: I'm so nervous using VRBO. Can anyone calm my nerves? We usually stay at a timeshare through RCI but wanted to try some place different.... please give me the good and bad of renting through VRBO...thanks

I'm in the same boat. Basically what I did is I found the subdivision I wanted (Windsor Hills) and searched by that. I filtered the results by # of reviews. Yes, reviews cannot always be reliable, but *usually* if there are a good number of them the likelihood that they are fake is lower. On VRBO, you should see the renters name and hopefully photo. I went to the county (I'd have to look it up again) tax assessor's website and did a search on the property address to match up the name to the address as well as see if it in any sort of default or behind on their taxes. Also, at the bottom of the VRBO page, you can see when it was published. Odds are, any fake or unreliable renters won't be around that long, so I would be skeptical of any posting from say, this year.

Honestly, aside from getting a personal recommendation from a friend or family member, that's about the best you can do. The renter should send you some forms to fill out, as well as further info about the property and who to contact. I'd expect them to ask for an initial deposit and the final payment a few months prior to the reservation.

I have to believe that VRBO wouldn't be around if the vast majority of their listings weren't legit. Just do your research ahead of time, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to. Any renter you'll want to deal with should be willing to answer any questions you may have.

Hope that helps a little.

mjmartin01
03-10-2011, 11:40 AM
thanks that does help alot. Would you be able to find that website to check to make sure the house is current on taxes...thanks so much

dchronister
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I have used VRBO several times, South Padre Island, TX, Gulf Shores, AL, Daytona Beach, FL, Perdido Key, FL. I have never had a problem with anyone that I had rented from, they have all been very pleasing and professional. Most ask for 1/2 up front and the other 1/2 30 days from your trip, but everyone I have used, I paid 1/2 up front and gradually paid the remainder off at my own pace. I have always been very pleased.

bcinohio
03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
We used VRBO for a house back in July and it worked great. I also checked the tax records after I contacted the owners and got their name. We also purchased the insurance just in case something wasn't right. I think the insurance cost us about $30.

It was our first time using them and also renting a house. I would do it again.

Good luck.

quagmire0
03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Here's the tax search for the Osceloa county (should include all of Windsor Hills)

https://www.osceola.county-taxes.com/public

It will let you see the past 5 or 6 years of tax payments, names of the owners, their address, etc. You should be able to search on the address. You can throw in the unit # or last name of the owner to filter it down.

sympatico
03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
thanks that does help alot. Would you be able to find that website to check to make sure the house is current on taxes...thanks so much

If it's in Osceola county (Kissimmee) this is the site:
http://ira.property-appraiser.org/PropertySearch/
There's also a link for the tax records on there, just above the property picture.
Let me know if you need a different county.

mjmartin01
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
thanks Wanda

chuckml
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
We've used both VRBO and lastminutevillas.net, and had great luck with both. Have fun!

mjmartin01
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
thanks for that info Chuck..I'll have to check out lastminutevillas

Wadecool
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
We have used vrbo.com many times for beach house rentals without any problems. Often, if you can make contact with the actual owner directly, you can negotiate the price down significantly.

chuckml
03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
thanks for that info Chuck..I'll have to check out lastminutevillas

No problem. I don't know what size house you are looking for, but we rented a place in Indian Creek 2 years in a row that we found on lastminutevillas.
The owner is an English gentleman named Paul, and he gave us a great rate, and the house is about as close to Disney as you can get and still be offsite.

Its a 4bed/3bath house with a private fenced in pool.

PM if you like and I'll send you the direct website to the house. We loved the place!

KayR
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
One thing that might help with VRBO is that on the bottom of the owners advertisement they have a statement that tells you how long the owners have been renting / advertising for. For example

"This listing was first published here in 2005"

Its not to say that newer listings are bad, but if you have someone who has been advertising for several years, they are likely to be legitimate. (If they had been pulling a scam, they would have been removed from the site quickly!) Its just another item that can help reassure you that the owner is legit.

--Kay

Mom2boys2
03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I used VRBO to rent our townhouse in Windsor Hills for this June. I had a friend recommend this owner. Their website is next2disney.com.

I have personally talked to the owner several times by phone and email.

I paid $250 deposit up front, with the rest due 30 days before we arrive.

ayshimama
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I am excited to be visiting disney for the first time. I have booked off site at a villa in Emerald Island Resort for July 16th, to 23rd. I have found this site very useful but I only wish I had found it sooner. I booked about 1 month ago. We ae group of 15 with 9 of them being children. Wish us luck!!:banana:
:yay::yay

sympatico
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I am excited to be visiting disney for the first time. I have booked off site at a villa in Emerald Island Resort for July 16th, to 23rd. I have found this site very useful but I only wish I had found it sooner. I booked about 1 month ago. We ae group of 15 with 9 of them being children. Wish us luck!!:banana:
:yay::yay

Been there (Emerald Island), done that (with 15 also) and had fun. Good luck! pixiedust:

SoonerSarah
04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I have rented twice through VRBO, found out about it not even a year ago, and I have been beyond pleased. The most recent rental was for Storytime Orlando Rental www.storytimeorlandorental.com and we had a fabulous experience.

rt2dz
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I'm going to bump it up, as it is very relevant to me right now. Looking for more info to: Often, if you can make contact with the actual owner directly, you can negotiate the price down significantly.

Basically, HOW!?!?!

bcinohio
06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
We used VRBO last summer to rent a vacation house at Disney for the first time. It was great. I found a few that I liked and then e-mailed the owner by using the form on VRBO and when they answered I would as them my questions. I watched for which one got back to me fast. Also once you get the address or owners name you can check their tax records and make sure they are paid up. You can also buy insureance incase the house is not what it is supposed to be. I think that cost us $29. The one we got was 4/bed, 3 bath with pool and game room.

quagmire0
06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I'm going to bump it up, as it is very relevant to me right now. Looking for more info to:

Basically, HOW!?!?!

Usually there is contact info on the page - at the very least an e-mail link. Just contact them that way and see if they will be willing to deal. There's also a link earlier on this thread with a property tax search. If you can find the address, you can search on that.

Just as a follow-up on my experience - it was awesome! I basically did a search on VRBO, eventually settling on Windsor Hills due to many comments on these boards, and I sorted them by number of reviews - figuring that places with more reviews *should* be a little more reputable. What I also like is vrbo shows you how long the property has been listed, which is something to look at. We had a great experience. Condo was actually BETTER in person that in the pictures. Everything worked. Area and unit were nice and quiet and property was pretty close to the parks.

Bottom line is do some due diligence before forking over your money. Read up on what VRBO guarantees and just be on the lookout for warning signs.

rt2dz
06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Usually there is contact info on the page - at the very least an e-mail link. Just contact them that way and see if they will be willing to deal. There's also a link earlier on this thread with a property tax search. If you can find the address, you can search on that.

Just as a follow-up on my experience - it was awesome! I basically did a search on VRBO, eventually settling on Windsor Hills due to many comments on these boards, and I sorted them by number of reviews - figuring that places with more reviews *should* be a little more reputable. What I also like is vrbo shows you how long the property has been listed, which is something to look at. We had a great experience. Condo was actually BETTER in person that in the pictures. Everything worked. Area and unit were nice and quiet and property was pretty close to the parks.

Bottom line is do some due diligence before forking over your money. Read up on what VRBO guarantees and just be on the lookout for warning signs.

I totally get what to look for in renting, there's plenty of info out on that. But how do you get them to deal? Do you just ask for anything? Are you trying to get extra's thrown in, like pool heat and/or tax? Or are you trying to lower the overall rate? Are you better off trying to rent in a certain time frame?

Teach me! Inquiring minds want to know. I know how to get deals on property, but off property is all new to me. We did it once when it was a free vacation and had no choice in anything. This is different.

AuroraSheasMom
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I totally get what to look for in renting, there's plenty of info out on that. But how do you get them to deal? Do you just ask for anything? Are you trying to get extra's thrown in, like pool heat and/or tax? Or are you trying to lower the overall rate? Are you better off trying to rent in a certain time frame?

Teach me! Inquiring minds want to know. I know how to get deals on property, but off property is all new to me. We did it once when it was a free vacation and had no choice in anything. This is different.

I think it depends on when you are going, and what you are offering. In my case, I wanted to rent a 1 bedroom condo with a full kitchen, pull out sleeper sofa, balcony, with a gulf front view In Panama city Beach in October. This is traditionally a slower time. The owners were renting for $100 a night, 3 night minimum. about a month out, they had an opening for the specific week we wanted. Comparable units in the same development were renting for $85 a night.
I contacted the owner by inquiring about availablility. whe they responded, I simply asked if they would be interested in renting for a lower rate, since it was a weekly rental. I offered $80 a night and indicated i was serious about booking. They responsed with a no, we cant do that, but we can throw in a free night, so pay for 6, get 1 free. I emailed back and said that was still a bit out of our price range. I asked if they would do $90 a night, waive the $20parking pass fee, give the free night and reduce the cleaning rate, since they had other condos listed with a lower cleaning cost. They accepted that offer and I immediately sent the deposit in. I also made sure to leave an honest and fair review of the condo, that they placed on the vrbo website.

I say, it never hurts to ask. Just be nice and straightforward. Maybe they will heat the pool and waive the fee, lower the cleaning fee, the nightly rate, or throw in a free night. Maybe they won't. But I would make sure that I had the funds available immediately to pay the deposit, and maybe a bit more to show how serious you are.

For our upcoming beach trip, I found a really great deal (for July, anyway) and knew that for that timeframe, there would be no haggling over price. But I did ask the owner if we could do a Wednesday to Wednesday rental instead of the traditional Saturday to Saturday rental due to my husbands job. She was hesitant but agreed once I assured her that I had the money for the full amount available now. :thumbsup2

Good luck!!!:goodvibes

Disneyliscious
06-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I have used VRBO and never had a problem. I love that site. I too, have tried negotiating deals but have never had any luck in an owner taking it. If a home listed for $120 a night, I may offer $110 (we stay longer than a week). I have asked for the cleaning fee to be waived, etc.

We finally came across a home which I originally rented because it appeared clean, the price was GREAT and the owner was very nice and here in the states. I simply could not find a comparable house in his price range anywhere, and I have searched thousands of listings on VRBO over the years. We arrived at the house the first time and it was BEYOND our expectations. The pictures rarely ever do a home justice and that was the case here as well. He is now our "go to" guy when we visit Florida and we make sure to book early because he fills up fast.

I don't have one bad thing to say about VRBO except that I only get responses from about 30-40% of my inquiries (I only try to bargain after I get a response from them). I guess they are either already booked for my dates or they just don't check their email regularly.

mammalucci
06-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I am very very new in this Disney thing. I am planning a vacation in August 2012 and will be renting a private home / villa for a party of 7 - two of which are small children (6 and 5) I have no clue of what VRBO is. Please help. It seems like it is something very important I need to do in finding a place to rent.

Thanks

rt2dz
06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I am very very new in this Disney thing. I am planning a vacation in August 2012 and will be renting a private home / villa for a party of 7 - two of which are small children (6 and 5) I have no clue of what VRBO is. Please help. It seems like it is something very important I need to do in finding a place to rent.

Thanks

VRBO = Vacation Rentals By Owner. It's a website, www.vrbo.com (http://www.vrbo.com) that has private owners offering their vacation homes for rent. It's usually less expensive than using a mangement company.

Loveallthingsdisney
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks

We stayed at a 5 bedroom/5 bath house in Windsor Hills in May--there were 7 of us. Mark and Holly met us with cookies, muffins, and orange juice, bought all new Wolfgang Puck cookware because I wasn't happy with what was there (and I was actually going to cook a few times!) Romancing the Mouse.com---wonderful experience. Not one complaint, and the house was stocked with laundry detergent, Shout, etc. A lot less to worry about when all those things are there already. 10 out of 10 stars, and I'm VERY picky.

Wadecool
06-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Some VRBO owners handle all of the dealings regarding their rentals personally, and some choose to let a property management company handle it. You will always have better luck if you can contact the owner directly. Every property we have rented on VRBO, the owners personal phone number was listed and I just called them directly. Even if they let a property management group handle their rental, if you negotiate a lower rate with them, they can then instruct the property managers to give it to you for that. This happened with us last June. I talked the owner into waiving the $200 cleaning fee and she simply emailed the property manager and it was done. FYI, I have always been able to talk the owner into knocking off the cleaning fee <knocks on wood>.

Another tactic that can be done, but I have a hard time doing because I'm a planner by nature, is to wait until very close to your actual vacation time. If you find a property that hasn't been rented and you can get in touch with the owner, they will often rent it to you for a discount rather than let it set empty. The place we are renting in August in Rosemary Beach is a Saturday to Saturday rental but for some reason the people that are going to be there before us are not leaving til Tuesday of the previous week. This means that the property will likely sit empty for 4 nights because most people don't want to rent for less than a week. I asked the owner if two weeks before our trip those days are still available, can we have them for half price, and she said ok. That gives us a week and a half for a pretty good discount.

Loveallthingsdisney
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Romancing the mouse--pool heat included, tax included, 4 bedroom rents for the same amount as 5 bedroom, price is the same no matter what time of year you rent. Very simple, and super nice owners.

Disneyliscious
06-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Romancing the mouse--pool heat included, tax included, 4 bedroom rents for the same amount as 5 bedroom, price is the same no matter what time of year you rent. Very simple, and super nice owners.

Those are very nice and beautiful homes. The price for my stay would be $2,350. I have found many, many, MANY comparable homes on VRBO that are all inclusive for much less, easily a thousand less. We got one quote on a 4BR home for 10 nights for $795 all inclusive (but we chose to go back to the one we've rented before as it just "fits" us). This was a newer home with new furnishings too. It was not in WH. The majority of the quotes I got were in the range of $1000-$1500 for a 10 night stay, some of these were ginormous 5 and 6 BR homes.

Windsor Hills is a nice neighborhood, but its more expensive too. If its in someones budget I'd recommend it. For me personally, I can think of a lot more things to do with the extra $1350 it would cost me to stay there versus Hamiltons Reserve.

Loveallthingsdisney
06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Those are very nice and beautiful homes. The price for my stay would be $2,350. I have found many, many, MANY comparable homes on VRBO that are all inclusive for much less, easily a thousand less. We got one quote on a 4BR home for 10 nights for $795 all inclusive (but we chose to go back to the one we've rented before as it just "fits" us). This was a newer home with new furnishings too. It was not in WH. The majority of the quotes I got were in the range of $1000-$1500 for a 10 night stay, some of these were ginormous 5 and 6 BR homes.

Windsor Hills is a nice neighborhood, but its more expensive too. If its in someones budget I'd recommend it. For me personally, I can think of a lot more things to do with the extra $1350 it would cost me to stay there versus Hamiltons Reserve.

For a week (Sat-Sat) we paid $1235. They give the best price for that type of reservation. If I were staying for 10 nights, I would certainly look elsewhere. I did a lot of research, and the home we rented was the best deal for us. I like Windsor Hills alot, and that's where I wanted to stay.

Disneyliscious
06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
For a week (Sat-Sat) we paid $1235. They give the best price for that type of reservation. If I were staying for 10 nights, I would certainly look elsewhere. I did a lot of research, and the home we rented was the best deal for us. I like Windsor Hills alot, and that's where I wanted to stay.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love WH. I have never stayed there but I have researched it quite a bit. I wanted to stay in a home there so my kids could use the water slide at the pool, but in the end (for us) we couldn't justify paying $500-$1000 more just to use a slide. Even at the rates you got it would still cost us over $1760 for a 10 night stay (the home we went with was $1073) so thats a big difference for us.

Maybe someday I will be able to afford to stay in a home in WH, although the ONLY reason I would choose them over another home is the water slide. Im fine as long as Im withing 10 miles of the parks, don't care if its a gated community or not, and don't always require the fanciest of accommodations. My kids are 10 and 17 and we always have felt safe wherever we went.

Until then, we love finding ways to save money so we can spend it at the parks! But by all means, WH looks wonderful for those who can afford to stay there. :)

Loveallthingsdisney
06-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I love WH. I have never stayed there but I have researched it quite a bit. I wanted to stay in a home there so my kids could use the water slide at the pool, but in the end (for us) we couldn't justify paying $500-$1000 more just to use a slide. Even at the rates you got it would still cost us over $1760 for a 10 night stay (the home we went with was $1073) so thats a big difference for us.

Maybe someday I will be able to afford to stay in a home in WH, although the ONLY reason I would choose them over another home is the water slide. Im fine as long as Im withing 10 miles of the parks, don't care if its a gated community or not, and don't always require the fanciest of accommodations. My kids are 10 and 17 and we always have felt safe wherever we went.

Until then, we love finding ways to save money so we can spend it at the parks! But by all means, WH looks wonderful for those who can afford to stay there. :)

The extras included that I've always had to bring, (or buy) the owners meeting us at the house with "goodies", and the fact that this was a 21st Birthday celebration for my only child----made Windsor Hills and the house we chose > Priceless. :cheer2:

mammalucci
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank you so much loveallthingsdisney,

That 5bedroom/5 bath sounds wonderful. Romancing the Mouse.com is that the actual house you rented from? Do you mind sending me the price of that house or the, I guess, the actual item number of the house so I can take a look at it? Did it have a pool and a grill? I would like to have those things so when we come back from the parks we can relax in the pool and grill a couple of things.

Thanks

Loveallthingsdisney
06-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Thank you so much loveallthingsdisney,

That 5bedroom/5 bath sounds wonderful. Romancing the Mouse.com is that the actual house you rented from? Do you mind sending me the price of that house or the, I guess, the actual item number of the house so I can take a look at it? Did it have a pool and a grill? I would like to have those things so when we come back from the parks we can relax in the pool and grill a couple of things.

Thanks

Just go to www.romancingthemouse.com and their web site walks you through everything. There are 3 homes to choose from. We rented the 5 bedroom, and it was $1235 for the week (Saturday-Saturday) That included taxes and pool heat, and a lot of other things that other rentals don't provide. Plus it was VERY clean. Yes it has a pool overlooking a lake, and it has a grill tho we didn't use it. It's also very close to the clubhouse, and the pool area there is lovely.

rt2dz
06-24-2011, 06:23 PM
That's an amazing deal loveallthingsdisney got. I'm looking at our week and it's $2310 + another $330 for our day before the Saturday check-in + $330 to check out on Sunday, for $2970. The quote I'm looking at off VRBO is $1271.

Both quotes include all taxes, pool heat, BBQ grill, children's equipment, large screen TVs, game systems with games, full equipment (linens, pool towels, cookware, high speed internet (wi-fi), etc. They are exactly the same in what they include. Except, the lower quoted one is 4 bedrooms (which 2 of romancing the mouse houses are--at equal prices as the 5 bedroom) and much better decorated. The appliances are also newer and more modern.

It just shows you have to shop around.:teacher:

Loveallthingsdisney
06-24-2011, 06:49 PM
That's an amazing deal loveallthingsdisney got. I'm looking at our week and it's $2310 + another $330 for our day before the Saturday check-in + $330 to check out on Sunday, for $2970. The quote I'm looking at off VRBO is $1271.

Both quotes include all taxes, pool heat, BBQ grill, children's equipment, large screen TVs, game systems with games, full equipment (linens, pool towels, cookware, high speed internet (wi-fi), etc. They are exactly the same in what they include. Except, the lower quoted one is 4 bedrooms (which 2 of romancing the mouse houses are--at equal prices as the 5 bedroom) and much better decorated. The appliances are also newer and more modern.

It just shows you have to shop around.:teacher:

I shopped around, but I consider that part of the fun of planning! The owners are so nice--Mark and Holly--and it's reassuring to know they are a phone call away. I believe they live in Windsor Palms. The A/C was acting -up our last day, and Mark came over and fixed it. Holly joined him with chocolate-dipped strawberries, and sat around and talked to us for awhile. They are a great team!

Disneyliscious
06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
We all like different stuff. I will say that by the time I get to my rental, seeing company is the LAST thing on my mind (cookies or not). I just want to go in, sprawl out and relax for a little bit before unpacking.

We couldn't figure out how to use the cable tv remote on our first stay so I called the owner and he walked me right through it. Our internet went out was repaired within a few hours. The owner even called to make sure it was ok to send someone out (in case we were having dinner at the time or something), so yes having someone close is a big help because things do happen.

The home we rent for $107 per night includes all the extras that have been mentioned here. The home was fully stocked with soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toilet paper, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dishwashing supplies, salt, pepper, coffee, tea, etc. It meant so much to have all that already there.

Sometimes you just see a house and your heart is set on it, regardless of price. Its great when you are able to get that home because it makes your vacation that much more special. We were lucky to find that perfect home and get it at an awesome price.

It definitely pays to shop around before making a decision.

Loveallthingsdisney
06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
We all like different stuff. I will say that by the time I get to my rental, seeing company is the LAST thing on my mind (cookies or not). I just want to go in, sprawl out and relax for a little bit before unpacking.

We couldn't figure out how to use the cable tv remote on our first stay so I called the owner and he walked me right through it. Our internet went out was repaired within a few hours. The owner even called to make sure it was ok to send someone out (in case we were having dinner at the time or something), so yes having someone close is a big help because things do happen.

The home we rent for $107 per night includes all the extras that have been mentioned here. The home was fully stocked with soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toilet paper, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dishwashing supplies, salt, pepper, coffee, tea, etc. It meant so much to have all that already there.

Sometimes you just see a house and your heart is set on it, regardless of price. Its great when you are able to get that home because it makes your vacation that much more special. We were lucky to find that perfect home and get it at an awesome price.

It definitely pays to shop around before making a decision.

I love a bargain just like the next guy, and have always found them on vrbo. I rented a condo beachfront at Seagrove Beach FL for $65/night, a 3 bedroom condo in Windsor Hills for $375 for the week, and the list goes on. Sometimes, like for special occasions like we had in May, it's nice to splurge a little. Getting all those deals on previous vacations justifies that for me. I, for one, wanted everyone to have their own bathroom, and I wanted to be as close to Disney as possible. And by the way, having the owner meet us at the house and walk us through everything was excellent. I just had my husband talk with him while I unpacked. We felt like pampered guests the day we arrived.

Paula25
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm a first time potential renter, and I'd like to know your experience renting villas on 27 vs. closer in to Disney. How was the traffic getting to the parks?

Disneyliscious
06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Im not familiar with 27 but traffic has never been an issue for us when staying off site.