PDA

View Full Version : Baymont Inn & Suites Celebration: Hotel Review

phred84044
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Disney Room Review--Baymont Inn & Suites Celebration

We closed on the sale of our home in Stansbury Park, Utah (about 20 minutes southwest of Salt Lake City) on Thursday March 3, 2011. We had promised ourselves that once the Utah home sold that we would visit Walt Disney World (WDW) and because Spring Break would cause crowds to be crazy for the next month, we decided to do a quick trip this last weekend.

Baymont Inn & Suites Celebration
We booked a 3* hotel near WDW through Hotwire for $40 per night. Based upon the Hotwire Florida hotel list located at Better Bidding I thought that it might be the Best Western Lakeside, but it ended up being the Baymont Inn & Suites Celebration. I read a few traveler reviews on Trip Advisor which were mostly positive so I anticipated that we were in for a great room for a great rate.

Check-In Process
We arrived to the hotel at around 4:00 PM on Friday afternoon. I was very impressed with the large lobby with marble flooring and the breakfast area was equally as appealing. I approached the gentleman working the front desk and told him I was checking in. I gave him my name and he confirmed that I was booked for two nights. I inquired about the possibility of a complimentary upgrade and received an upgrade to a Kids Suite. As I had paid through Hotwire the employee told me that my only charges would be a $4.50 per night resort fee. I expected this as many hotels near Disneyland and WDW charge this fee (most hotels say that the fee covers in-room Internet, swimming pool use, fitness rooms and parking; I call it an easy way to pad their profits). I received my room keys and was then directed to another desk in the lobby to obtain my parking pass. While the "concierge" filled out my parking pass he asked me where I was from and if I had park passes. I told him that we would be purchasing WDW Florida Resident Annual Passes. He then told me that he could give me and Tracy $100 cash for listening to a short presentation. Ahhh...the old time-share salesman posing as the hotel concierge trick; I was not amused.

The Room
We were given room 1209 on the second floor. All rooms in the hotel have exterior entrances which I have never been a big fan of as it doesn't limit the accessibility of non-hotel staying persons around the room's entrance. This was confirmed as we open the door to the room and no less than half a dozen flyers for local restaurants had been slipped under the door.

The Kids Suite room contained one queen bed, a semi-enclosed kids room with twin bunk-beds and another twin bed along with a 19" CRT television. A large 42" flat panel TV was mounted above a desk/dresser book-ended with two wardrobe cabinets. An electronic safe was mounted inside one of the wardrobes. The room had a compact refrigerator and microwave and a wet bar. Cabinets were hung above the wet bar for food or kitchenware (not provided). A large L-shaped marble bathroom counter had one sink. Soap and shampoo were provided although hair conditioner and lotion were not. The toilet and tub/shower were located in a small room off to the side. The room only had two bath towels which seemed odd to me since there were beds to sleep 5 persons.

The room was significantly smaller than I imagined and was basically just a normal sized room and the area where a second queen bed would go had been converted into the "kids room." Because of the small size there was no room to place the porta-crib for Grace so it ended up going on top of the extra twin bed in the "kids room."

Upon returning from Epcot that night we discovered that the room AC unit had no power. I fiddled around for a few minutes and was unsuccessful in fixing it. I made mention of to the front desk on the way to breakfast in the lobby the next morning and they said they would send somebody to fix it. Upon our return from the parks that day it had been fixed.

The room was nothing special, but based upon the Trip Advisor reviews I expected more. Breakfast was included and consisted of frozen waffles, bagels, toast, powdered donuts, assorted pastries, blueberry muffins, bran muffins, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispy's, Fruit Loops, Raisin Bran, Milk (whole and 2%), coffee, orange juice and apple juice.

Pros:
Room Rate through Hotwire ($40 per night).
Separate "kids room" for the children
Proximity to Walt Disney World (.5 mile)

Cons:
Small room.
Only 2 bath towels in the room
Time-Share sales pitch upon arrival

Total Hotel Stay Cost:
$103.24 consisting of:

$80 ($40 x 2 nights)--Hotwire
$15.46 (tax recovery charges and fees)--Hotwire
$10.18 (resort fee + tax X 2 nights)--Baymont Inn & Suites
-$2.40 (3% Fatwallet Fatcash)

Our Rating
3 out of 5 Mickey's

C & L Shaw
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you for your review, we too have this hotel reserved for our upcoming trip. We too used Hotwire and was able to secure an excellent rate. I have read reviews that say the hotel is more than 4 stories high, I have never seen a hotel with this many floors with outside access to the rooms. Are those reviews correct? Also if you have any photos of the hotel that you could add, that would be awesome. Thanks!
:goodvibes