PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stolen MacBook. CRAZY update!

tammymacb
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
So, anyhoo. Yesterday my ex husband came into town and picked up DD. He's staying for a few days and booked a room at the Comfort Suites. He drove DD by last night, I saw her come downstairs with a change of clothes and her laptop. She had homework to do on it.

This morning, my ex put the laptop in the bottom of his suitcase and covered it with clothes. ( I know, how stupid ) He then drove DD to sLast month I made a big purchase for a 14 year old. I bought her a Macbook from Apple. It was $999 plus tax.

We're an Apple family, I was tired of DD taking mine. I also wanted her to have a good computer for homework as our only non Apple computer is our desk top which is a piece of crap.
chool and he went and walked on the beach. He came back at 12:30 in the afternoon and went to change clothes. The MacBook was gone.

STUPID ex then goes downstairs and reports it to the manager. The manager says, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do about it and we're not responsible for loses." Ex leaves it at that. 3 hours LATER, my oldest DD calls to tell me the news. Ex called her and asked her to call me.

I called DH ( who's in law enforcement ) and called the police. We all showed up at Comfort Suites. Filed a police report, DH and the other cop watched the video surveillance tape. Which of course didn't show the door to the room. Per the manager, the only person who should have had access to the room was the maid. And she "had her bag searched before she left". Of course I have no idea if this really happened as the manager never bothered to check the tapes until the police came.

Tomorrow, DH and the cop will be meeting the maintenance man ( who had already gone home for the day ) to "pull the record" on the room lock. I guess they can check who opened the door for the day. Maybe.

I've called my CC company ( haven't even gotten the bill for the computer yet ) and have no insurance coverage.

I called my homeowners. It is covered. But, here in coastal SC, hurricane alley, my deductible is $3500. So I get nothing. Except to pay a bill next week on a computer that's already gone.

Ex is now saying he's going to call his insurance company. He lives in Upstate NY and his deductible is far less.

If he calls and says he was traveling with his child and her computer was stolen, will his insurance cover the laptop?

I've got receipts ( in my name ) and will have a full police report.

Is there anything else you would do.

I'm just sick over this.

mrsklamc
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Do you believe your ex? Is there any chance he took it himself? It may be covered by your credit card, too as such a recent purchase. I know Amex used to be great about that kind of thing. (Not from personal experience, just heard about how great they've been for other people.)

Dizzy for Dsny
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I can't really give you concrete answers to your questions, but wanted to add possibly some useful information regarding my son's girlfriend who had similar instance in Texas over Christmas break. She ended up having her Ipod stolen out of the room along with a pair of Uggs, and something else too, well when they demanded that the front desk look at their surveillance tapes, it was discovered that the maids boyfriend would go into the rooms when she was cleaning them and take the goods. Because they had it on tape, the hotel was putting it against the hotels insurance policy. That of course was only after her mother pressed it big time and used the fact that her husband is a policeman and she wasn't going to play any games.

I'm sorry that this happened. I hope you have some positive resolution to this situation soon.

tammymacb
03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
My ex may be a turd, but he's a wealthy turd.

He has more than enough cash on him to replace it, but he's never that easy.

But, he'd never steal her laptop.

starry_solo
03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
1. Have the ex buy another laptop for your daughter;
2. Make sure your daughter knows to track her property herself and not to let anyone - and I mean anyone - touch it.

Leajess99
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I know this won't help now but please look into Lojack for your future laptops. It may cost some to cover it but if it is ever needed than it is so worth it.

I only found out about this when I purchased my dell laptop 4 years ago and have used it since.

I am so sorry y'all are going through this and hope they can figure something out. It would make me very mad to find out someone was going through my suitcase too.

mickeymaker2003
03-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Since it is such a new item, I would check with your credit card to see if they cover it. Some will cover an item for a little while after purchase.

NYCDiane
03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
The only suspects here are:

Ex-husband

Maid or some other hotel employee

I would make a huge deal over it with the hotel. CALL THEIR CORPORATE OFFICE. Demand that action be taken. The manager says "there's nothing they can do and they're not responsible for losses??" BULL DINKY!!!!!!

I used to work for a large name hotel chain and stuff was constantly missing from guests' rooms --- mainly laptops, iPods, and cameras. Of course, it was 99% of the time, the cleaning staff.

Green Tea
03-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Oh my goodness. I would be just SICK over that. That is awful. I think your ex filing against his homeowners is a good idea. And also your credit card company might offer an "insurance" on recent purchases. I have never called upon my credit card company, though in the literature they do mention that.

angierae
03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
If your ex is wealthy, I'd be pushing him to replace her laptop. He didn't lock it up in the safe, it's his responsibility, and he owes it to his kid.

However, being divorced, I know it's not always that easy. I'm sorry this happened to you and DD :(

GrnMtnMan
03-09-2011, 09:48 AM
The only suspects here are:

Ex-husband

Maid or some other hotel employee

There are plenty of other suspects.

The classic other scenario here is: while maid is distracted, cleaning the bathroom, or left the room momentarily, thief quickly enters hotel room (where maid has left door open) and thief swipes whatever s/he can. In and out in under 10 seconds - maid never sees a thing.

Thief could be a traveling businessman with an opportunistic klepto-habit, who does this wherever he sees maids be lax with the open doors.

Maid could also be working with someone, allowing them access to rooms. So when she gets searched she's clean....thief just gives her a cut later.

Mom of 3 Princesses
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I know this does not help right now.

But.. for anyone that has a child in school that uses a computer, whether it is a laptop or desk top, you should look into getting it insured through a student insurance company.

I taught in a 21st century lighthouse school. We recommended this insurance for ALL our students. IT covers EVERYTHING for basically very little. Small deductible and is a very good company.

I do not work there anymore and my children not longer attend. But we still keep the insurance. As long as your child is a student this insurance covers it.

You just can't go wrong. We pay about 55.00 a school year and have a 100.00 deductible. It has more coverage than homeowners or private property insurance.

http://www.studentinsurancepartners.com/sip/policyFAQ

From their site:

5. How much does SIP's plan cost?

Our laptop insurance policies are very affordable. The cost will depend on the coverage amount you need and which deductible you select. We have many coverage amounts and deducitbles to choose from. Our most popular policy ($900 of coverage with a $100 deductible) has an annual premium of just $55. Compare our plan's deductibles to those of your homeowners policy ($500 to $1,000+). Click here for more information about our rates, deductibles, and premiums.

6. Are any other items of mine covered under my policy besides my laptop/desktop computer and its peripherals?

Yes, here at Student Insurance Partners, we are always looking for new ways to best serve our policy holders. In addition to your laptop/desktop computer, and its peripherals, you can cover these additional items, that you may own: cell phone/smartphone (excludes iPhone), iPod Touch, iPod, MP3 player, PDA (palm pilot), digital camera and gaming systems!

7. Does SIP's policy cover the laptop off schools grounds?

Yes. It covers the laptop worldwide including; in apartments, hotels, residence halls, and even during study abroad and property in storage.

8. If someone steals a laptop, will the PLAN cover that loss?

Yes, unless stolen from a vehicle that was not locked. There must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle to have the stolen item covered.

9. If a laptop is lost and is insured by the plan, is that covered?

No, laptops misplaced, lost, left behind are not covered. Items stolen by theft, burglary, or robbery are covered. A police report must be filed for these types of losses.

The school and its students have been using it for years, and many other schools both private and public recommend it to their parents.

Sorry to hear about the laptop.

cjstarr
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
A ? for the op, do you know if your DD had the laptop password protected? If so I would also call Apple and give them the Ser# of the laptop. There is always the chance that whoever took it will call support to try and solve the problem of logging into it. This would also go for any BB or Apple stores in your area.

dawson5
03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you see if they have surveillance on the dumpsters? I worked for a summer at a hotel. We didn't have a problem with theft of guest items, more of a problem with guests stealing hotel items (actually had a couple steal the bedspread and all linens, actually anything that wasn't secured they took). We did have a problem with them stealing the towels, brand new ones, putting them in a trash bag in the dumpster and getting them when their shift ended. If an employee stole something, they wouldn't have it on them and no way to prove they did it unless you caught them taking it out of the trash (or next to it).

sillysmom
03-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Hopefully this will all be resolved with you paying no more money from your pocket, and your DD getting a replacement computer.

Just wanted to let you all know, I purchased a rider on my homeowners policy, It costs me $19 per year, it covers every computer we own for loss, damage, theft, and programs, it doesn't cover of course normal wear and tear, and intentional damage (duh), anyway its a $50 deductible, and a $5,000 cap. This my friends is a no brainer, you must add this to your policies. We are a 2 MacBook Pro family and can't afford to shell out thousands for replacements.

Good Luck OP!!

tammymacb
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I can only assume that whoever stole the laptop became very nervous by the police presence.

Last night my ex to DD to dinner and shopping after all the other drama was over.

While they were gone, someone went BACK INTO THE ROOM!!

When they returned and got ready for bed, the laptop was sitting on top of the clothes zipped into the suitcase.

I've contacted Comfort Suites corporate and my husband is still meeting the other officer today. Now someone used the key to get into the room twice.

Green Tea
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
WOW! They will have to figure it out by the timing last night

Mom of 3 Princesses
03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
WOW!! That is all I can say WOW!!

Great news tho!

Whistle
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I am glad your daughter's laptop has been returned. I would still want an explanation from the hotel!!!

angierae
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
They totally need to look at their key system and see who was in the room.

But yay for getting it back!

4orm
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Creepy! What if someone had been in the room. How did the person know someone wasn't? Staking the room out?

RitaE
03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
glad she got it back though - I agree that's pretty creepy.

The thing is, that Hotel Manager has got to have a pretty good handle on who is probably responsible. Hopefully appropriate action will be taken so other guest items are safer.

m&amom
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
This is a little off topic but can someone tell me how large the safes are in the Disney hotels. We are going for our first trip this summer and I want to make sure we don't bring to much stuff that we can't put everything in it.

KellyNY
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I wonder if computer is safe to use now. I mean could someone put some sort of bug to trace any info that may come from this machine, like online payments and so on.

mickeygirl14
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I wonder if computer is safe to use now. I mean could someone put some sort of bug to trace any info that may come from this machine, like online payments and so on.

Exactly what I was thinking...I would have a computer tech check it out to make sure it's clean.

And how scary that the hotel has allowed some supposedly "unauthorized" person into their room twice now??!! Either their key entry system is flawed or has been hijacked or they have a pretty good idea of who it is. Glad she got her computer back though.

librarygal
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
You can buy laptop locks for less than $10 on EBay. The problem is finding something in the hotel room to attach it to.

DisneyAndRedSox
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
SO happy your DD got her computer back!

Please make sure you or your ex posts a review of the hotel on Trip Advisor. I never stay at a hotel until I read reviews on their website and people would probably appreciate you sharing your story!

hearts8701
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
i would be checking OUT!

happily single
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
:rotfl:Random thought..Do you think either DD or ex actually forgot where they initially put the laptop and later found it; then placed it where it would be found? I used to have a boss that would do that with files he lost:rotfl:

ellone
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
This is a little off topic but can someone tell me how large the safes are in the Disney hotels. We are going for our first trip this summer and I want to make sure we don't bring to much stuff that we can't put everything in it.

Not very big. We could fit our netbook in there with a camera and our walets, but there wasn't much space left after that.

4orm
03-09-2011, 12:58 PM

I put our wallets/passport and macbook pro in the Disney safes no problem!

thebeesknees
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Creepy! Did he call and add that to the police report so they can check up officially on who had been in the room while they were gone?

My2BabiesLexis&Dill
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Dumb idea but can they fingerprint it to see who's fingerprints have been on there? And then fingerprint the workers at the hotel? Idk how it works but an idea.

eeyorethegreat
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Soundsl like it was someone who works at the hotel and has acess to the rooms. Glad you are following through on all this . Strange story.

willowsnn3
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I know this won't help now but please look into Lojack for your future laptops. It may cost some to cover it but if it is ever needed than it is so worth it.

I only found out about this when I purchased my dell laptop 4 years ago and have used it since.

I am so sorry y'all are going through this and hope they can figure something out. It would make me very mad to find out someone was going through my suitcase too.

Don't know about OP but I will certainly look into Lojack. Someone broke into our house last night & took 2 laptops among other things.

Karenj2
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know if this'll work for apple laptops (definitely not for PCs), but I know that there's an app for iTouches/iPhones that basically triggers the GPS on it, so that you can find out where it is. You have to activate it BEFORE it gets lost/stolen, which I found out after I lost my iTouch.

If I remember the name, I'll repost.

Green Tea
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
find iphone is what I have. Is that what you were thinking of? I think you have to have a subscription to Mobile Me for it to work. I can sign in from any computer, anywhere, and it will locate my iphone, down to the address. If it ever gets stolen, I can tell the police exactly where to find it.

Leajess99
03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Don't know about OP but I will certainly look into Lojack. Someone broke into our house last night & took 2 laptops among other things.

I am so very sorry that happened to you and your family.

I know the IPAD also has an app you can download to track it if it is stolen and it really works. http://www.fox41.com/story/14186917/police-man-found-with-assualt-rifle-stolen-from-police

marie1203
03-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Let us know if they find who went into the room. it is weird the manager couldn't pull the log himself. I used to work for a hotel and as a manager the logs were very easy to print out.

NYCDiane
03-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I can only assume that whoever stole the laptop became very nervous by the police presence.

Last night my ex to DD to dinner and shopping after all the other drama was over.

While they were gone, someone went BACK INTO THE ROOM!!

When they returned and got ready for bed, the laptop was sitting on top of the clothes zipped into the suitcase.

I've contacted Comfort Suites corporate and my husband is still meeting the other officer today. Now someone used the key to get into the room twice.

Although this is extremely scary/creepy, I think I know a family who is going to get a bunch of free hotel stays with upgrades and meals.....

As for who put it back?? Guarantee you the manager raised hell with the staff who were working the day/shift time it was stolen and told the person it better show up back in the room. OR the person who stole it left it in the hotel office and the manager went and returned it when he saw them leaving for dinner.

If I were you, I would call Corporate again, demand the surveillance tapes and a record of the key-card. Even if a security key pass was used, they will know who used it for that room.

AND GET YOUR FREE HOTEL STAYS!!! LOL!!! Threaten to take this crazy story to the national media.

Mom2Ben02
03-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I can't believe he continued his stay at this hotel...glad it is back, though!

honugirl
03-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I put our wallets/passport and macbook pro in the Disney safes no problem!

What size Macbook pro? I have a 13" and I have to take it with me on my next trip because of a project for one of my professors. I'm hoping it will fit. Oh and I'm staying at Pop if that makes a difference. I don't know if the values have smaller safes or something? Never stayed at anywhere else on property, so I have no idea if the safes get bigger as the hotel value increases. :confused3 I don't remember the safe at Pop being super big last time I was there.

SookieStackhouse
03-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Glad you got it back! It definitely sounds creepy, we definitely want to know if you find out any more details on how it disappeared and REappeared!

labdogs42
03-10-2011, 06:11 AM
FWIW, I have never had a problem with my laptop at a Disney hotel. If it won't fit in the safe, you can always lock it in one of your suitcases if you want.

4orm
03-10-2011, 08:27 AM
What size Macbook pro? I have a 13" and I have to take it with me on my next trip because of a project for one of my professors. I'm hoping it will fit. Oh and I'm staying at Pop if that makes a difference. I don't know if the values have smaller safes or something? Never stayed at anywhere else on property, so I have no idea if the safes get bigger as the hotel value increases. :confused3 I don't remember the safe at Pop being super big last time I was there.

We have a 15" and it just fits along with out flats stuff (credit cards, etc). Most recently we've left it out uploading photos while we leave the room and have never had any problems.

Disneefun
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
When we were at Disney last, we carried a bike lock along. We locked the laptops in the suitcase (both wouldn't fit in the safe and we each have to have ours for work) and then locked the suitcase to the bed frame (not the bed leg, the bed frame) and shoved it all under the bed. If someone was determined, they could have cut open the suitcase, but we prevented the casual pass by thief from taking our stuff. Most thieves are thieves of opportunity and you just have to deny them the opportunity.

AmberHeartsDisney
03-10-2011, 09:00 AM
You should but a laptop lock.

3boymthr
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't know if this'll work for apple laptops (definitely not for PCs), but I know that there's an app for iTouches/iPhones that basically triggers the GPS on it, so that you can find out where it is. You have to activate it BEFORE it gets lost/stolen, which I found out after I lost my iTouch.

Yes, please repost. I'd love to get this for my son's iTouch (and mine they're constantly taking it and misplacing it. This last time I found it wedged underneath the carpet underneath the seat of my car.:headache: )

csharpwv
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm sitting here, in my hotel room, thinking of all the times that I have left my laptop and other valuables just sitting in my room while I went out for the day.

The only thing I've ever had stolen from my hotel room was a $25 Nalgene Bottle, and I'm not sure if it was stolen - or if the maid just didn't know what it was and threw it out thinking that it was just an empty bottle.

It's easy to forget that you aren't the only one with a key to your hotel room, and that not everyone is honest or trustworthy.

I really hope they can recover your laptop!

honugirl
03-10-2011, 10:13 PM
We have a 15" and it just fits along with out flats stuff (credit cards, etc). Most recently we've left it out uploading photos while we leave the room and have never had any problems.

Good to know! Thanks! Hopefully it will fit... Otherwise I'll do the bike lock thing. I've been in so many hotels over the last couple of years that I can't remember what has what, but can you actually put suitcases under the value beds? I want to say they have the solid frames? I can't remember though. That may be a different hotel...

plummer925
03-11-2011, 06:19 AM
SO glad you got it back!! Yea, I'd be raising a STINK with the hotel - at the VERY least getting the stay that they are there now for free!!!

jgates
03-13-2011, 01:26 AM
I also recommend riders for your high value items with your homeowners policy.

We did this when my son purchased an engagement ring. Our agent indicated the rider (cheap!) would then cover it with no deductible & also covered the ring if it just disappeared. She said they get tons of calls each year where a woman will wash her hands & take the ring off - then walk off without putting ring back on. If you don't have the rider, you can't prove any theft & there is no coverage. However, the rider will pay for even the 'unknown' & you will be covered.

He added this to his golf clubs after they were stolen from the apartment garage & he was hit with a $250 deductible. The new rider allows for full replacement & again only a few bucks a year.

My laptop is under $500 so I don't bother with it, but we both have it on our Sony Rebel cameras & lenses. Those are pretty pricey - about a grand for replacement so we both felt it was worth it.

I would also be requesting an full accounting of the room entry from the hotel also.

Bell30012
03-13-2011, 07:38 AM
My MacBook generally won't fit into the safe at Disney resorts. So I purchased this little baby. I actually use it all the time when I have my laptop out. When my laptop is in my briefcase and I have to leave it (even in a car), I arm it. It is made by Targus and called DEFCON. I paid $40 for it. I've also used this on a stroller in the parks before. I just checked eBay and found several for under $20 including shipping.
http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/250/10000793.jpg

Marionnette
03-13-2011, 08:57 AM

It's called Find My Iphone. The app is free but you have to use it on another iphone to find your phone.

They also have a similar app for the ipad.

Bell30012
03-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Find my iPhone can also be used on the web at www.mobileme.com

Kim Kommando who has a radio and is very antispam has this listed on her site as a way to track a stolen computer.
http://preyproject.com/