PDA

View Full Version : I think Airfare just canceled our trip:(

nefritz
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
So I've been pricing our disney world trip for the past two weeks. I've been preparing my husband that we ARE going to disney. Last week I found airfare for $1280 (6 people) and wanted to book but have to wait till this Friday to purchase. I look today at the same package and the cheapest I can get airfare is $2100!! I'm very disappointed because I'm sure the hubby is not going to go for it now:(
Anyone have any hopes it will go back down?

Jessica527
03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Where you you leaving from?

Halloweenqueen
03-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Friday and Saturday are typically the worst days to look for airfare.

I find Tuesday afternoon to be the best time to buy. Airfare changes constantly...use the internet to your advantage. Try Bing. They give you a history on fares. They also have a buy/not buy advice statement at the top of every search.

darthspud
03-07-2011, 01:20 PM
even with gas prices as high as they are i would think it would be cheaper unless you were coming from clear across the country... can you drive?

nefritz
03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
We're coming from Nebraska, far enough. However we could drive but with four little kids it sounds daunting!

gracie1
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I personally could not justify spending and extra $1k to go. How about looking into driving??

leadfootlevi
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Be flexible with your dates
If you are staying on-site, check how much tickets would cost if you bought them through Disney. I've noticed, at least with Airtran, that flight prices through Disney are cheaper than if I booked them myself at Airtran.com

nefritz
03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies:)
I'm pretty resourceful, I know which dates are cheaper and I always am flexible on the dates and times. I've done through TA, disney, and other internet sites. They all have just gone up over the weekend. Bing does say that they will drop, I'm just praying they will. I can't justify 2100$ in airfare, but have no desire to drive with the kids for 36 hours! We are already taking kids out of school, I wouldn't want to use our whole trip for driving.

sweetdana
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Priceline?

:wizard: GL! I hope it works.

Airfare is prolly cancelling our F and W/ MNSSHP trip as well.

I am keeping my eyes open.. but like you no longer getting excited.

CowboyCO
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe check Allegiant out of Sioux Falls (don't know where you are in NE).

Jessica527
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
DRIVE! Make it an adventure that your kids could never forget.

Some tips for the trip:

Get each of them a pizza box (clean/new from pizza store) and put in crayons, coloring books, games, anything that they wish. This will elimnate things falling and will be easy to open/close when you make different stops along the way.

MadLibs! A family must for a trip like this!!

My parents did this (but with disney pins) - Gave each kid a roll of quarters. If one of us complained, hit, cried or whined, a quarter would be taken away. If they are good they all get to keep their quarters to use in the arcade!

Create games that they can't resist~

I hope this helps! Drive! It will be worth it!

Donaldswife
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies:)
I'm pretty resourceful, I know which dates are cheaper and I always am flexible on the dates and times. I've done through TA, disney, and other internet sites. They all have just gone up over the weekend. Bing does say that they will drop, I'm just praying they will. I can't justify 2100$ in airfare, but have no desire to drive with the kids for 36 hours! We are already taking kids out of school, I wouldn't want to use our whole trip for driving.

Keep checking!!!! Seems the last few times I have booked if I look on Wednesday or Thursday they drop and then go back up on the weekends through Monday. Don't give up, they change all the time. :goodvibes

tlbwriter
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Clear the cookies on your computer or use a different browser - some airlines will track your visit and keep raising the price. Also, check tomorrow. Prices supposedly are lowest on Tuesdays.

SDSorority
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Doggone gas prices. Airfare is SOOOOO high right now for us too.

Br'erBriere
03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
The airfare prices are insane....and it's only going to get worse for peoples trips going into fall and winter 2011....good luck.

When prices first loaded for our dates...it was 119 each way...week later.125.two weeks later when I booked 144. Week later (today) $199. Typically the Tuesday trick works....however...that's when gas prices are constant. When gas prices are rising, ALL prices rise.

eliza61
03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Anyone have any hopes it will go back down?

How about Disneyland. California might be a bit cheaper air fare.

No unfortunately I don't think we'll see airfare go down any time soon.

A barrell of oil is ~104 dollars. it would have to drop a lot and quickly for airlines to even think about lowering fares now. Remember a lot of this is speculating. Prices now reflect what the airlines and commodity traders "think" will happen a few months from now. There simply is no indication that things will get better quickly.

Remember Libya, does not give us a lot of oil and Saudi arbia has already increased it's output to cover what is missing from Libya and yet prices are still going up.

ccgirl
03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you tried the discount carriers like AirTran or Southwest? Lately, I have been paying $250 for a round trip ticket. That would be $1500 for your family. With the increase in gas prices I really don't think it will go down below that. Although, it might. I would keep checking. Southwest is set to release new dates on 3/14. Not sure what that will do to the airfare but maybe something to keep your eye on.? :confused3

Free4Life11
03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Could you fly out of Kansas City? It was always much cheaper than flying out of Omaha or Lincoln.

Leshaface
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Clear the cookies on your computer or use a different browser - some airlines will track your visit and keep raising the price. Also, check tomorrow. Prices supposedly are lowest on Tuesdays.

I've never thought about clearing the cookies on my comp before! Such a great tip! :thumbsup2

nunzia
03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
How about the train? could that work?

Nette
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Check out http://hipmunk.com They have a decent airfare comparison calculator.

mom2alix
03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Could you fly out of Kansas City? It was always much cheaper than flying out of Omaha or Lincoln.

I second this. We usually drive down to KC and spend the night before we leave at an airport hotel that offers fly and drive. It's usually cheaper to pay the drive and fly fee than it is to pay for parking at the Omaha airport and you can usually get direct flights cheaper than the connecting flights out of Omaha. It's really nice to get to Orlando in the early afternoon and actually have some time to play on arrival day.

I've also heard that Allegiant flies cheap out of Des Moines, but I've never done that.

Good luck!!

mrsklamc
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I was also going to suggest flying out of Kansas City, cheaper because it's a Southwest hub. Of course, depending on how far west you are maybe Denver?

Darcy03231
03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I really glad that I bit the bullet last month and bought my airfare this summer's trip. It's more than doubled since I bought it!

pyrxtc
03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
airfare is high for me too. I need to fly over labor day weekend from Boston to LAX and WOW !!

eroilersgal
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I booked our airfare today for a F&W trip. When Air Tran schedules came out it was $109 each way. I kept waiting for the drop and DH kept saying 'If its a good deal then book it before it goes UP like the gas prices." I looked last night and it was up to $114 - only and extra $20 total but if he finds out I will still be hearing the 'I told you so' in October!!:laughing:

KELLY
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
We booked 4 non-stop flights out of Manchester 3 weeks ago for 665.00. Those same flights are now 1340.00.:scared1:

I booked my flights on 2/14 which was a Monday.

eyeheartgoofy
03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Don't panic yet ... keep watching. Now that you know what a good price is for your trip, you can jump when you see them again.

I've been eyeballing flights to CA for August and they have been all over the place. Right now (Monday), they are up about $60 per person from the cheapest I've seen ... but cheaper than they were at the end of last week.

We purchased our tickets to Orlando about 4 months out after about 2 months of watching. Prices went all over the place and just when I thought they were up for good, they fell dramatically for a 3 day period.

ccgirl
03-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I booked our airfare today for a F&W trip. When Air Tran schedules came out it was $109 each way. I kept waiting for the drop and DH kept saying 'If its a good deal then book it before it goes UP like the gas prices." I looked last night and it was up to $114 - only and extra $20 total but if he finds out I will still be hearing the 'I told you so' in October!!:laughing:

Don't know if you know this but I booked AirTran and my flight prices went down. They gave me a credit just like SW does. I then used my credit for my baggage fees. Just thought I would share in case you didn't know.

My flights with AirTran are $109 as well. I am holding out for SW as I would prefer to fly out of PVD rather than BOS. Hoping for the best. :goodvibes

mdrob214
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
:scared1:We're coming from Nebraska, far enough. However we could drive but with four little kids it sounds daunting!

I'm not sure where in NE you are...I am from the Omaha area.

Have you looked into flying out of KC (MCI) on SW or AirTran? We did that one year and it was well worth the 2.5 hour drive. I even found a coupon for long-term parking on the airport website.

Another option is to look into flying out of Des Moines--a short drive but Allegiant has pretty good fares to Orlando.

*disgal*
03-08-2011, 11:24 AM
we drive it but it's about 19.5 driving and then with stops we figure 22-23. I think you might be longer so that would be far. Not undoable, but far.

I would suggest driving maybe even 5 hours or so to an airport that gives you more options.

And no, I don't think we are going to see prices fall anytime soon. In fact, it will probably be the opposite. It's not just the oil, but our dollar's value is going down which means it takes more dollars to buy that oil.

Donaldswife
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I just got an email for Airtran this morning and they are having a sale. Don't know your airport or travel dates but you might check and see if it applies to you. :goodvibes

nefritz
03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
They are back down today:) Only downfall is I wanted to wait till Friday, thinking I should use a credit card and put it on there today. They are back down to $99 each way:)
Driving is out of the question, with my children ages and the fact I did it three times growing up, I'm not willing to do it again!

POOHS3
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
If they are down today, I would book it. You can pay the amount back on your credit card Friday.

I don't know how soon your trip is though, you could always hold out. Back in 2008, when gas prices sky rocketed I held out. We had a trip at the end of August, I didn't book until the middle of June. It was a gamble though.

$99 each way from all the way out in Nebraska sounds like a good deal to me. Good Luck!

ccgirl
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
They are back down today:) Only downfall is I wanted to wait till Friday, thinking I should use a credit card and put it on there today. They are back down to $99 each way:)
Driving is out of the question, with my children ages and the fact I did it three times growing up, I'm not willing to do it again!

I would definitely book today. Just use the credit card and make a payment on the card on Friday for what you charged. That way you won't be charged any interest. And, that way you know you got a reasonable price on tickets. :thumbsup2

WDWisTheBest
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
If they are down today, I would book it. You can pay the amount back on your credit card Friday.

$99 each way from all the way out in Nebraska sounds like a good deal to me. Good Luck!

I would definitely book today. Just use the credit card and make a payment on the card on Friday for what you charged. That way you won't be charged any interest. And, that way you know you got a reasonable price on tickets. :thumbsup2

Good suggestions.

mdrob214
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Book! $99 each way for anything out of NE is a great deal. We just don't get the greatest deals here like those that live in the major hubs or on the coasts--I'd jump on it.

bumbershoot
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM

I don't know how soon your trip is though, you could always hold out. Back in 2008, when gas prices sky rocketed I held out. We had a trip at the end of August, I didn't book until the middle of June. It was a gamble though.

I agree completely!

pigletto
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
We're looking at a bare bones, budget trip in late August. We WILL be driving unless we can fly for less.. which is impossible. Am I excited to drive for 20 hours? Nope. But am I willing to do it for another Disney trip? Absolutely for certain.
I think many many more people will be looking at driving with the current airfare prices. We paid them for the trip we just got back from. But 1600 hurt to pay for a family of four. Heck.. with free dining that is almost the cost of a whole trip at a Value for us. When I look at it that way I can't pay it again, especially to go back so soon.

yrdlyprincess
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Personally...we live in PA and if the prices dont come down...we may not go didnt book yet but I am with you there is no way I would drive...DH would LOVE to drive ...straight thru only 17 hours I think but I would probably kill by the end of the drive:lmao:

sscassel
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I have no idea what airline you are looking at but try the smaller ones. I know for myself I can fly out of Philly or Allentown. If I pick the big airlines like AA , United, US Air, my price will be a lot more then if I take SouthWest or Airtran. See what smaller airlines go out of your airport. Don't give up hope, I have also noticed that midweek the prices go down. I also saw someone mention be flexible- get idea. The prices can change dramatically it you change from say a Sunday departure to Thursday. Good Luck

Jaden'smommy
03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
keep checking. i was searching for months for a ticket from ny to dominincan republic. i got lucky yesterday, from almost 800 i got a ticket for 560:cool1: i kept checking afterwards and the same ticket when up to almost 700.

SPBendersky
03-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Sometimes if you are willing to drive 5-6 hours the air-fare can be half. Check it out we do it in the NE and certain airports with common routes to Orlando or Tampa may be cheaper.