PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Snow White

SAKPEG99OKW
09-19-2002, 12:24 PM
I am not sure if this is old news or not, could not find anything on a search, but CNN reporting on a Kung Fu version of snow white. How cool. Read the link below, seems pretty real to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/19/offbeat.film.snow.reut/index.html

Scott

HB2K
09-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Wonderful. :mad:

DisneyKidds
09-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Hmmmmmm.............

Lets put together a few recent posts.

This June I met a Florida dance teacher who has a friend that was hired for a new show for WDW--she was told it had aerialists in it

and

over at news/rumors only site in my signature.

(That would be the Scoop rumor regarding a Snow White show at the Huntchback theatre.)

combined with this news and I deduct we will have Kung Fu Snow White in MGM.

Luv2Roam
09-19-2002, 12:52 PM
:rolleyes:

supamaki
09-19-2002, 03:05 PM
This could be a really cool movie, if Disney doesn't blow it. If they tame it down for their "Disney" audience, it will stink. But if it's got some good action and plenty of good fight scenes, I bet it'll be great. The story sounds good.

stevets
09-19-2002, 03:16 PM
DISNEY'S BACK BABY!!!

That movie's gonna rock.
I can't wait to see it.

SmileyJoyz
09-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Puh-lease...no one else thinks this is a terrible idea??? I LOVED the Matrix...but I will not pay to go see Snow White give a kung fu chop to the Wicked Queen...no matter how "updated" they make the story...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jeff in BigD
09-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Maybe George Lucas has been talking to Disney? :rolleyes:

Worst idea since Greedo shooting first!

Jeff in BigD
09-19-2002, 06:08 PM
Too many "Ifs" for me to have hope in the movies this current version of the company is churning out.

Luv2Roam
09-19-2002, 06:24 PM
'Snow White' to Don Black Robe to Reprise Film Role
Thu Sep 19, 4:27 PM ET

By Arthur Spiegelman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Snow White's come a long way, baby, from her days singing with seven dwarfs about someday meeting a prince. Now she may kick butt along with seven black-robed Shao Lin monks.

That is unless the Walt Disney Co. changes course and throws her in with seven Samurai warriors. Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work she goes in a martial arts film.

Disney was reported Thursday to be negotiating with Yuen Wo Ping, the director of several classic martial arts movie including "Iron Monkey" and choreographer of the Oscar-winning "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," to make a live action version of the famed 1937 animated feature.

Disney declined comment as did a source close to Yuen Wo Ping. A movie industry source familiar with the project said it was still in the negotiating stages and untitled with Disney insisting the film had nothing to do with Snow White, except, for the plot, maybe.

But Daily Variety went further.

It reported that the martial arts version of Snow White until recently had the very un-Grimm like working title of "Snow White and the Seven Shao Lin," a reference to Chinese Shao Lin monks who master fighting to, as the newspaper put it, "better understand the source of violence and overcome it."

If the deal goes through it would mark the English-language directing debut of Yuen Wo Ping, who is currently doing the fight coordination for Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill."

Thanks to his pioneering work in creating and perfecting the martial arts genre, he has been a key figure in developing the careers of Jackie Chan. Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.

Variety said the live action version of Snow White would be set in the 1890s and deal with a woman's return to Hong Kong to attend her father's funeral after many years abroad.

Once home she discovers she has an evil stepmother plotting against her and so she flees to the safety of a monastery of Shao Lin monks who protect her, thinking she "holds the fate of the world in her hands."

But whether monks would have personalities equal to Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy remains to be seen. The film has yet to be agreed on, let alone cast.

The original Disney film, based on the Grimm fairy tale, was the company's first full-length animated feature and the first to successfully create human characters.

It was called "Disney's Folly" but ushered in an era of full-length animated features that kicked butt in their day.

Luv2Roam
09-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Unless it is better than it sounds, it will rank right up (down?) with the Country Bears.
In order to make it work, that can't have it relate to SW at all. Mulan -- plausible. SW, :rolleyes:

raidermatt
09-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Alright. That's it.

Its time to institute mandatory weekly drug-testing in Burbank.

Somebody get the cups...

Bob O
09-19-2002, 09:29 PM
It is an idiotic idea!!!! Start the drug testing now!!!!

Luckymommyx2
09-20-2002, 07:49 AM
I agree...where did they come up this?!?

raidermatt & Bob O....you've got me ROTFL!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EUROPA
09-20-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Luv2Roam
Unless it is better than it sounds, it will rank right up (down?) with the Country Bears.
In order to make it work, that can't have it relate to SW at all. Mulan -- plausible. SW, :rolleyes:

But wait...we still have the Haunted Mansion Movie and Pirates to go. So I don't think that will be the bottom of the barrel just yet...

Sarangel
09-20-2002, 10:20 AM
I read this post to my husband & he said the following:[quote]I think it sounds like a great idea - you could get John Woo to direct, have Lucy Liu as Snow & Jackie Chan as Dopey, and they could do 7 or 8 DTV sequels. :rolleyes:[quote]

Anyway, this came up several months ago (I'm not sure why the search didn't find it). God knows they've come up with worse ideas, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sarangel

UncleKyle
09-21-2002, 03:09 AM
sounds like another country bear fiasco

leahannpen
09-24-2002, 04:18 PM
I appologize to those of you who think this is a good idea, but... ARE YOU JOKING? This sounds so stupid I can't even believe someone THOUGHT of this?

Why can't these people just leave well enough alone???????? :rolleyes:

stevets
09-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Plenty of people like kung-fu flicks, especially in Asia.

I like the idea for it's originality. It's a lot better than all those straight-to-video sequels Disney has been releasing. The concept of "Snow White and the Seven Shaolin" is the product of a creative mind..."The Return of Jafar" is the idea of a hack.

maleficent1959
09-24-2002, 04:53 PM
I don't see much in common with Snow White other than a dead father and a plotting stepmother. The plot premise, as described albeit vague, is that of a woman in nineteenth century who returns home after her father's death and flees to a Shaolin temple for protection.

Now, unless they name the heroine Snow White, there's only seven monks and their names are Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, and Doc (or Chinese translations), her mother is referred to as "Evil Queen," the Shaolin temple is in a forest populated with friendly animals who can clean house, or I hear "Whistle While You Work" in Chinese I am not going to get my panties in a bunch. Fear of an evil stepmother is hardly a theme that is unique to Snow White.

Carnotaurus
09-26-2002, 01:13 AM
why does everybody always gots to be rippin' on the country bears? i'll bet you didn't even see it ...

there's a comment on the "kingdom hearts" thread about how disney needs to appeal to young boys to compete with universal and others. i agree.

and done right, this could be a lovely movie. anyone who saw "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" knows how magical this sort of film can be.

as much as i hate to think about another remake, this is a very original idea.

Luv2Roam
09-26-2002, 07:47 AM
why does everybody always gots to be rippin' on the country bears? i'll bet you didn't even see it ...
You are right. And I don't plan on seeing it either. ;)
Trailers are the HIGHLIGHTS of a movie. With ANY movie -- if I don't like the trailer, why would I want to see the movie?