PDA

View Full Version : RANT Cheap trick on Disney Club discount

abitjaded
09-15-2002, 09:06 AM
Just got off the phone with Disney Club, CRO and Swan/Dolphin. We wanted the 5% discount that DC offers on the Ultimate Park Hopper Pass. But here's the catch(s): 1. You have to have booked direct with Disney (we booked direct with the Swan to get Gov't discount), 2. You have to take the whole length, including departure and arrival day, 3. You must do it in advance, not when you show up. So, is this a deal, hmmm.... $50 per person for a day our flight out leaves at 10:00 A.M. or a 5% discount on the UPH. Oh, oh, I get it now!!!!!!!! Disney has figured out another way to get $50 more dollars out of our group of 7, after all, we just are NOT spending enough money there as it is. Cruise for 7, three days at the parks.....and I feel nickle and dimed. The Disney Club has become an absolute sham. It has not saved us one penny in the last two years. Even the Swan said they were having some "issues" with Disney management over the ticket changes in the last week.

jlima
09-15-2002, 09:36 AM
I barely got my money's worth out of the DC . . . got $10 off our three DL APs and used is 1x at the ESPN Zone here in Las Vegas for their $20 for $10 game card, so I got my $39 back but I'm not renewing it.

The discounts at DL are in specific stores and not everywhere; if I get 10% off almost everywhere with my Premium AP and ANYBODY can get 10% off their purchases with an AmEx credit card if it's at least a $50 purchase, what do I need the DC club for? You can get better hotel rates through wholesalers on the internet. I expected more, esp. if I paid for the "privilege". Bring back the Magic Kingdom Club!

:Pinkbounc

TiggerFreak
09-15-2002, 10:26 AM
DC includes an annual subscription to the "Disney Magazine."
Cover price of $4.99 x 4 = $19.96.
I also find the car rental discounts to be quite nice.
You can get the $50.00 fee waived for National Car Rental's frequent renter club, which lets you use the short line at the counter or just pick your car out in the lot and show your ID card.
Also, the weekly rate is eligible for a 20% discount for DC members.

For these "PERQKUE"s I think I'll keep mine.

But I agree about the "improved" pricing for ticket media.
In the grammer of an infamous ex president, "define discount."

Luv2Roam
09-15-2002, 10:50 AM
The DC card has saved me a small fortune sine I have had it. However, if they stop selling pins at the DS, then I would be lucky to get my money's worth out of it.
But it all depends on what you really use the card for. I would agree that it is not even worth taking to WDW.
The Disney Magazine is the only magazine I even read and I do like it. :)
For those who like the Disney's Adventurer mag for kids -- did you read the post on the budget board on getting it for free?

Uh -- scratch that last comment on the free mag. I just now read where their free subscriptions are being cancelled. Oh well.....

Amor4Pooh
09-17-2002, 03:26 AM
If you don't already get it from something else like a AP. And they're so "frugal" it's only one per household, regardless of whether you have 3 or 4 AP's and a DC card, or some other thing that offered it. By all rights if you are spending enough to have 4 Premium AP's, they should send one magazine per AP, and one for the DC which is a totally different entity.

RAD
09-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Main reason I had DC was for ticket discounts, I already had the 10% DS discount due to DVC, this will be the last year I'm a member.

doubletrouble_vb
09-17-2002, 08:49 AM
And that's why I think DVC should just give their members the DC card. The benefits are almost identical. For whatever is different THEN you show your DVC card.

...The only thing the DC card is good for, for me, is theme park tickets & the magazine. Occasionally I use it for restaurant discounts in DTD... I let mine go when I got my AP...since I'm not renewing my AP and I don't plan on going into WDW for quite a while...I will be letting this go. I'd rather subscribe directly to Disney Magazine & save the $20.

eeyore0062
09-17-2002, 11:30 AM
However, if they stop selling pins at the DS, then I would be lucky to get my money's worth out of it.

Well, the core stores will not stop selling pins anytime soon.