PDA

View Full Version : Rope Drop?

JerseyDisneyGirl
01-16-2011, 05:59 PM
It seems that some people feel passionately about rope drop. To be honest it scares me a little bit. I have seen too many stories on DIS about people acting crazy. How important is rope drop, and how crazy do people act? I don't mind crowds, I can't stand pushing and shoving. I am on vacation, and I would like to avoid getting in a fight. Jersey Girls don't react well to being pushed :).

Reddy
01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
We did rope drop a couple of times
more to see the show - which I really like
now at the water park - the CM had our famliy go ahead & get to the ride(crush & gusher) but we have austic sons & one was starting to get fussy about the crowds - Ithink the girls behind him were very happy we got to go more than us going

g-dad66
01-16-2011, 06:06 PM
In general, I think it's a very good idea to be at Rope Drop, especially for the headliner rides.

You won't see pushing and shoving, and you are likely to find that the "stampede" isn't nearly as bad as what you had been led to believe. ;)

But I think the Rope Drop reports, especially about DHS, are a good thing, because it's the people who have had no "warning" about the crowd speedwalking who are likely to feel a bit overwhelmed.

DisneyHardin
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I always thought getting to rope drop was "no big deal" so we didn't really try it. Our past trip this summer we decided to do rope drop on our MK day. First of all, we LOVED the little opening ceremony - DH got such great pictures of the characters coming off the train and the "mayor". Then, we rode Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Jungle Cruise, saw the Tiki Birds and went through the HM within an hour and a half. So, it was totally worth it and there was no "mad rush" to anything, at least at MK.

This fall when I do a girls trip with Mom and Sis, I am hoping they will be up for rope drop every day.

DizzDoll
01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey fellow Jersey Girl!!!! As to the rope drops I didn't find them to be so bad. I did one by myself at MGM just to see what it was like while the rest of my group slept in. I would rate it as controlled chaos. The only "problem" I saw was one man who led the cavalry charge to TSM to get fastpasses and even that wasn't horrible (although the FPs were wiped out for the day within an hour). I really enjoyed the entertainment before the rope drop, and the Streetmosphere actors go out of their way to get everyone involved. Lots of fun laughs and no mean, nasty, cranky, shoving people. The "Charge of the Light Brigade" could be summed up as a competitive race walk. The CMs don't allow any running.

Did one at MK with my kids last time we were there and it too wasn't horrendous. Crowded: yes, beastly: no. The opening ceremony, in my opinion, should NOT be missed by anyone. And when the rope dropped, people hustled to where they wanted to go. My kids and I started in Adventureland and worked our way to Tomorrowland and did every single ride from here to there with no waiting in lines. Total bliss.

So from my point of view, they're not to be passed up. You can get so much accomplished in 2 to 2.5 hours before the parks get unbearable. We go in August (PS - just booked our trip!!!) so we're done and gone by the time the sun starts beating down on our pointy little heads. And if you try one and don't like it, at least you tried it. And I don't like being pushed around, either!!

oldenewguy
01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Is the rope drop done every day at every park or is it only on certain days?

Belleandtinker
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
We are always at rope drop only to get a jump on the rides/fastpasses. The shows are cute, but can be missed if your family likes to sleep in. We've never been run over nor have we run over anyone.

Now, if you walk into the park a few steps, stop and open a map = we might just run over you.

We rather stand at rope drop than stand in a ride line.

Have fun!

Belleandtinker
01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Is the rope drop done every day at every park or is it only on certain days?

Every morning every park has an rope drop show. I think DS is the only one with characters in the show.

dmxwidget
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I tend to sleep in and miss rope drop...I would rather be relaxed and ready for a long day (and night) in the parks.

oldenewguy
01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Every morning every park has an rope drop show. I think DS is the only one with characters in the show.

Thanks! Im a big fan of getting there early. You can get so much accomplished before people get there.

Tltorrez
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
We loved the MK show. All the characters come out on the train. My suggestion for this one is to line up in front of the train station not by the gates. That way you'll get a good view of the show. We actually got nice seats on the ledge around one of the trees. Let all the really aggressive people push to the front of the rope. Nothing in MK fills up fast enough to make that kind of difference. After the opening show, make your way over to the gate.

I've read that AK also has a fun opening show. But unfortunately we're going to miss that one because we have ressies at Tusker House.

whitneyNC
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
It's not crazy in my experience. Only the studios gets a little nuts to tsm, but even there we ride w/out a wait then get our fp for later. No problem. Getting there before opening is the single most important tip to me.

sapereaude
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
It seems that some people feel passionately about rope drop. To be honest it scares me a little bit. I have seen too many stories on DIS about people acting crazy. How important is rope drop, and how crazy do people act? I don't mind crowds, I can't stand pushing and shoving. I am on vacation, and I would like to avoid getting in a fight. Jersey Girls don't react well to being pushed :).

The reason the rope drop rocks is because its your best chance to ride the super headliners with no wait and get early fastpasses. The first hour in the park is the best. As for the 'craziness' of it, Disney rocks at coordinating these things. This isn't black friday at Walmart, the CMs don't just drop the rope and everyone books it - they walk the crowd slowly from the rope area to the major attractions, often by a circuitous route to give time for the crowds to spread out a bit.

wickersham
01-16-2011, 06:50 PM
We are nearly always at rope drop since we are early risers and find the benefits in terms of short lines and plenty of FPs in the morning are worth it.

No one has mentioned one of the best benefits of being at the rope for rope drop--being asked to help the CMs or receiving special rides. We have twice been asked to carry the rope at AK then be first on the safari. At MK we were waiting for Tomorrowland to open with the CMs and were first to ride space mountain. The same CM met us at the end of the ride and walked us over to the other track for a 2nd ride without waiting! The early bird sometimes gets the worm!:cutie:

gretchenohar@hotmail
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
We try to be at rope drop for the opportunity to see the shows, get fast passes or, in the case of HS - my husband got the FP's for TSM while I hot-footed it over to Jedi Traninig with my grandson and granddaughter.
I will say, that "controlled chaos" is putting it mildly when you have small children in tow. This is only my opinion, but if you have small children, I would hang back a bit at RD at HS! (We were actually almost pushed down by an adult male and his son who were trying to "beat" us. I was truly scared for a few seconds - but that part passed quickly. Don't want to alarm you - but do be prepared for some bullishness!)
HS is the only place we have ever experienced this. Otherwise I actually enjoy RD, as others have so well pointed out.

anonymousegirl
01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
I hate getting up eaarly especially on vacation, but I do rope drop every day at WDW. The benefits outweigh the "pain" of getting up early. Food court isn't as crowded, buses aren't as crowded, you get your first FP early and that means your next FP is earlier too. You can ride headliners quickly and sometimes two or three times in a row (not during peak seasons), and you can get great photos of a almost empty park.

Even better is if you are staying on-property and can do the extra magic hour in the morning--not everything is open (at MK just Fantasyland and Tomorrowland; at Epcot just FutureWorld) but you can get those out of the way and then head to Splash or BTMRR while everyone who slept in is trying to get Space Mt FP.

To make sure I can enjoy the night atmosphere in the park I often head back to the resort for lunch and a "rest" (okay, it's really a NAP) and then I head out again around 5pm (this usually works best in the summer when the parks are opening super late.

photobob
01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I tend to sleep in and miss rope drop...I would rather be relaxed and ready for a long day (and night) in the parks.

Which is the thought of many, many people and why rope drop is so good. If you arrive at opening you can do so many rides that are walk-on that will in a couple of hours be a very long wait. We usually go pretty much wide open until about noon, have a nice lunch and then either do a few more attractions or head back to the resort for pool and naps. We usually head back to a park in the early evening. Rinse and repeat!

FlightlessDuck
01-16-2011, 07:00 PM

The importance depends on the time of year, the park and your plans in the park. If you are going in the summer and want to ride Dumbo without having to wait in some ridiculously long line, then being at rope drop is important.

The only park I find to be crazy/rude is DHS. If you want FastPasses for Toy Story Mania, but you don't really care if you ride it right away, rope drop isn't that important. But you still need to go get FastPasses right away as soon as you get in the park, which really needs to be in the morning.

jmkjr72
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
the onyl rope drop i have ever seen get crazy is the one for mgm but then again its all those that have to try and ride tsm 10 times in a day

for some reason when it comes to tsm people cant act civilzed at times

at epcot on more then one ocassion have we ben blessed with getting walke dover to either tt or soarin early infact one morning we got to ride soarin 2 times before the rd crowd got there

kaligal
01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
If you don't want to be pushed, avoid the rope drop or just hang back a bit.

They used to open up and let people go. It was great. The people who wanted to get there ran ahead and the people who were kind of, "We'll get there in a minute or two" walked behind.

Now everyone has to walk behind a rope. This means that your walkers and your "I HAVE TO BE FIRST" people are all jammed in together.

Hang back. Let the people who have to be up front be up front. If you're one of them, though, get ready for some nudging and pushing.

Why Disney has to have everyone crammed in together, nudging and pushing, I just don't know.

princessbrulee
01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
We were at RD for both MK and DHS this past August. I'd never done it before and completely fell in love. I didn't think it was anything to be nervous about, and this is coming from someone who is mildly claustrophobic and was pushing a stroller. (I guess Disney excitement cures phobias lol) The opening ceremony at MK was really sweet; it brought tears to my eyes. We were able to do all of Fantasyland in about an hour with no lines that morning!! As far as the TSM rush, it wasn't bad at all. I expected craziness too because of what I'd read. We rode it once with about a ten minute wait. And that was only because I stopped to stroller park.
P.S. I'm from Jersey too so I sympathize! :)

Claire&TheBoys
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
We were at rope drop at Epcot last Sunday and I have to say I was impressed with how organized and non-chaotic it was. My sister and my sons took off in one direction for Test Track while I followed the crowd to Soarin'. I was in the first group of people heading to the Land, and they funneled all of us through the right-hand sliding doors while the Soarin' CMs went through the left-side ones. They went around and two walked down the steps in lock-step, while another CM rode down on the escalator. Then we walked the aisle between the Seasons' food station and seating areas, which were roped off, and had Seasons' CMs lining the aisle, most with Mickey or Stitch hands to give high-5's to everyone. "We Are Family" was playing on the speakers as we walked in in an orderly fashion. Those choosing to go straight to the stand-by line did so, and others of us went straight to the FP machines. I had my FP and was out of The Land in a matter of minutes. It was very controlled and easy - not at all like the rope-drop at DHS where everyone heads to TSM and it's body-to-body the whole way.

JerseyDisneyGirl
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I do Black Friday at Toys R Us, I can do rope drop. I think I'll still skip DHS, TSM was good, but not good enough to risk getting in a fight.

tinkgurl
01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
For the longest time, I avoided rope drop. It just sounded like a crazy mess to deal with the rush to get to a certain attraction. Then, last March, my fiance and I decided to try it out. We did rope drop at AK, DHS, and MK. The only rope drop that we will never do again is DHS. There was so much pushing and shoving the whole way to TSMM. However, we loved rope drop at AK and MK. The opening shows are so cute and really get you excited. While you're still being herded in, the atmosphere was different than at DHS. Everyone wasn't trying to run each other over to get ahead. We were all laughing and talking. I now tell everyone that they need to see the MK opening show/rope drop at least once!

midnightlouise
01-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Great thread! In all my years of going, we've never done rope drop, but I think I am going to roust everyone up early at least one day to check it out. :cool1:

Slightly OT, this may be a stupid question, but why do people rush to get FP to TSM at rope drop? Why not just get in the standby line & have a short-ish wait time?:confused:

g-dad66
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Slightly OT, this may be a stupid question, but why do people rush to get FP to TSM at rope drop? Why not just get in the standby line & have a short-ish wait time?:confused:

Not a stupid question at all. In fact, a very hotly debated one around here. ;)

I think the main reason the FP-first-ers get FPs first is to maximize their number of rides on TSM.

If you ride first, it will be at least 9:20 and probably later when you get your first FPs for TSM. The return time will probably be after 11:00 by which time TSM FPs will be gone. So you get only two TSM rides without a long wait.

If you get FPs first, you will have a return time in the 9:40-10:30 range, then ride standby after getting FPs, and then you will be eligible for another round of FPs in the 9:40-10:30 range -- thus enabling you to ride 3 times without a terribly long wait (but you're right that the standby line wait for the second ride will be definitely longer than if you ride first at Rope Drop).

JLR
01-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I also love RD for all the reasons previously stated (cute shows, improved FP collection, low crowds/no lines).

If you want to see the opening show at AK, you really need to get there early because the entry plaza does not hold that many people. You can be at RD (8:45) and be here:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/julierickert/2010_04220004.jpg

or you can be here (8:30)

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/julierickert/Disney%202010/2010_04270005.jpg

looking at this

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/julierickert/Disney%202010/2010_04270008.jpg

The only RD we didn't like was DHS (and that is only a problem if you go to TSMM - it was a nice walk to a walk-on at RnRC/ToT- all the other ones were great!

JLR
01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I thought I'd add MK RD too (I always like it when others post photos and videos)

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/julierickert/th_2010_04230026.jpg (http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/julierickert/?action=view&current=2010_04230026.mp4)

I got very emotional watching this!

sunnydays28
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
OK, crazy question:

We have 8AM ADR at CP, is there any chance we could/should go back out and see the rope drop at 9 AM?

If we are already inside can we see any of the show from there? (I am looking a Robo's maps and still don't get it.)

I am already at the CP, how much further in will they let us go to wait for the rides? Is there another rope at the Hub, so if we are waiting there then the rope drop people are behind us?

And what exactly is meant by "they walk the crowd slowly from the rope area to the major attractions"?

The video above, is that the extent of the ceremony? I hear some days there is more or less, is that one the long or short version?

midnightlouise
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Not a stupid question at all. In fact, a very hotly debated one around here. ;)

I think the main reason the FP-first-ers get FPs first is to maximize their number of rides on TSM.

If you ride first, it will be at least 9:20 and probably later when you get your first FPs for TSM. The return time will probably be after 11:00 by which time TSM FPs will be gone. So you get only two TSM rides without a long wait.

If you get FPs first, you will have a return time in the 9:40-10:30 range, then ride standby after getting FPs, and then you will be eligible for another round of FPs in the 9:40-10:30 range -- thus enabling you to ride 3 times without a terribly long wait (but you're right that the standby line wait for the second ride will be definitely longer than if you ride first at Rope Drop).

Ah! :idea: the light just switched on! I wasn't thinking in terms of multiple rides. Thanks for enlightening me!! :thumbsup2

JLR
01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
OK, crazy question:

We have 8AM ADR at CP, is there any chance we could/should go back out and see the rope drop at 9 AM?

No - enjoy your breakfast and character experience at CP - you won't want to feel rushed to get back out front, just for a short (but fun) show - and the payback is pictures inside an empty park. If you arrive at 7:30 - 7:45 or so - they'll let you in and you can get your pictures in front of the castle with no one else before your breakfast!

If we are already inside can we see any of the show from there? (I am looking a Robo's maps and still don't get it.)

Nope - you won't be able to see anything from the CP - eveything happens on the outer side of the train station

I am already at the CP, how much further in will they let us go to wait for the rides? Is there another rope at the Hub, so if we are waiting there then the rope drop people are behind us?

I don't know since we never did this. I have seen pictures of interior ropes but haven't experienced them first hand.

And what exactly is meant by "they walk the crowd slowly from the rope area to the major attractions"?

CMs hold the ropes and walk with the crowd behind them to avoid the stampeding. We witnessed this at AK (only as far as half-way into the oasis and DHS all the way to TSMM - we did not witness this at MK - but maybe they do it at busier times of year (we were there the last week of April)

The video above, is that the extent of the ceremony? I hear some days there is more or less, is that one the long or short version?
I think this is the long version.

Luv4Disney
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
DH and I never did RD for the longest time. Ever since we tried it, we ALWAYS hit RD. We can get so much done with little to no wait when we get there for opening. Yes, there will be mass herds heading towards a specific attraction, but we've never been pushed or shoved or anything.

BucsTex
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Wow. You guys have me convinced. I would never have gone for it, but this thread is a heck of a sales pitch for RD!

Thanks all!:worship::worship::worship:

mb168
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I think rope drop is great but I'm an early riser typically, we like to hit the big rides as quick as possible and collect fastpasses for them to do them again later or as many times as possible, then if it gets busy in that park, leave and go elsewhere since you've likely done the big stuff anyway.

As for Hollywood Studios, here is EXACTLY what happens at rope drop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-WSsMgNAs)

gretchenohar@hotmail
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow, mb168! That video is awesome! When was it taken?
We were there last April and I can guarantee it wasn't like that at all back then. Looks like there has been a vast improvement between then and when you were there.
I'm so glad to see that things have changed for the better. Looks like I'll be doing RD at HS again!
Thanks!!

RMulieri
01-18-2011, 02:12 PM
We do rope drop all the time.We do it to get to the parks early since we are morning people anyway.We like getting the big rides done early too.I let the hoardes go running and walk calmly.I still get there early enough to not wait for rides long if at all

2disneyboys
01-18-2011, 03:18 PM
our last trip (12/27/10-1/2/2011) we did rope drop every day and let me tell you it was a WORLD of difference. for the first 3 hours or so, the park is essentially empty - less than 5 min waits on every ride we walked up to! by the time the crowds start rolling in we have accomplished a good 1/2 of the rides we want to ride.. hmmm now that I think about it, sell [I]other[I] people on doing rope drop? how does that help me!!!... NO! NEVER DO ROPE DROP! ITS CRAZY, ITS MADDNESS, ITS A WASTE OF GOOD SLEEPING IN TIME ~ THERE IS NEVER A GOOD REASON TO GO TO ROPE DROP. there... hopefully I changes someone's mind..no sense ruining a good thing ;):rotfl:

mill4023
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
To be honest, I've never paid much attention to whatever opening ceremonies are held at each park.
I think for most people, the term "Rope Drop" just means opening time at the park. So when people say they do rope drops, they just mean they are at the parks before they open, so they can be part of the first group of people to enter and ride all the big attractions without waiting in lines.

TeacherDL
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I think rope drop is great but I'm an early riser typically, we like to hit the big rides as quick as possible and collect fastpasses for them to do them again later or as many times as possible, then if it gets busy in that park, leave and go elsewhere since you've likely done the big stuff anyway.

As for Hollywood Studios, here is EXACTLY what happens at rope drop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-WSsMgNAs)

Thanks for sharing! Love the video!! :thumbsup2

NJDiva
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM

OMG I am so glad you asked this question. I'm planning my trip for this year and I wanted to go to a RD just so I could say I did it. It sounds like a fun time unless I get run over by some over-excited child. Looks like it's on the list of things to do this time around. and you are soooo right.....WE DO NOT LIKE BEING PUSHED!:laughing:

Muppet_Girl
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

It is a Disney experience like no other. We don't usually do it because my family is not an early riser group. However, I really wanted to do it just once. We did it in MK and it was really cool. We were the second car on Buzz and then the first people on the TTA. We also got early SM FP. Anyway, we found that people were not pushing and did not run. I attribute this to the phenomenal cast members manning the rope. They instructed us to slowly walk with them to the rides. I found it like counting down to new years before we got into the park. It felt like we were among true disney fans. It made you feel like part of the club. People were excited and you were able to watch the MK come alive right before your eyes.

I would say at least try it once- in MK if you can. It is a magical experience for sure. :wizard:

Wadecool
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Tha video of RD at HS is awesome! Now I know exactly how to get there.