PDA

View Full Version : 5 night disney vs 7 night royal Caribbean

jrm11697
01-15-2011, 03:49 PM
So I am considering a cruise for late july/early august 2011. we are most interested in royal caribbean and disney. We would go on the Disney dream or Freedom of the Seas. They both look HUGE!!!! and they both sail out of PC. if we go with disney it would be the 5 night double dip cruise. with royal caribbean it would be eastern caribbean cruise (7 nights).

P.S. this has nothing to do with the above but with one more post, I will have 100 posts!!!!!

NJBILL
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
So I am considering a cruise for late july/early august 2011. we are most interested in royal caribbean and disney. We would go on the Disney dream or Freedom of the Seas. They both look HUGE!!!! and they both sail out of PC. if we go with disney it would be the 5 night double dip cruise. with royal caribbean it would be eastern caribbean cruise (7 nights).

P.S. this has nothing to do with the above but with one more post, I will have 100 posts!!!!!

I would sail on the dream. The level of service on Disney is better than royal and NCL. I have cruised them all.

Mickeyhugger
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Disney. (I'd even take a 3-day Disney cruise, over a 7-day Royal Caribbean.)

disfaninca
01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
We just cruised the Freedom and it is a beautiful ship! It all depends on your family and what they are looking for in a cruise. Both are great cruiselines. Both have great service. There are things that the Freedom has the the Dream doesn't, and vice versa. The Freedom has the rock wall, the Flowrider, ice skating. The Dream has Aquaduck, Dumbetron, and Disney Charactors.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a cruise.

2taxedmom
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Without a doubt....Disney. We took 6 Disney cruises and decided to try RC's Oasis Of the Seas. My family is excited our next cruise is on the Dream. :banana:

jrm11697
01-15-2011, 05:32 PM
What was Royal caribbean like? our kids are older so we think that they will like RC better.

Disney On A Dime!
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
It all depends on what you're looking for...my crew would take the Freedom of the Seas over the new Disney Dream. :upsidedow I have two boys 13 and 11...and my husband...who all like the FlowRider, rock-wall, ice skating, etc... that is offered on the RCI ship. I also like the pool areas on the RCI ships...and it will be definite pool/beach weather in July/August! :cool2: But this is my crew...as you can see...we are cruising on the Dream in April...but I am having to pull them onto the ship! :upsidedow I love what DCL offers...the Disney shows...the dining rotations...but I am out numbered in the family! So we have decided to take short cruises with DCL and longer cruises with RCI...

As far as food...we like both cruiselines...
As far as service...we have had great service on both...
As far as cabin size...we really don't care...not in there much...
As far as ports...Bahamas versus Eastern Caribbean...The Caribbean would win...and two stops at CC doesn't enthuse my crew...they could take or leave CC...(We live on the coast)

This is just our opinions...you are going to get a bunch of them! popcorn::

Enjoy...whatever you decide to do! :3dglasses
princess: Crystal

disfaninca
01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
What was Royal caribbean like? our kids are older so we think that they will like RC better.

We went with our grandkids ages 7,9 and 10. They loved the Freedom. They were on the Magic before and they thought the Freedom kids clubs were actually better than the Magic. I'm sure the Dream has alot more to offer the kids. My grandkids are really not into charactors so they didn't miss that when on the Freedom.

I'm assuming on the Eastern itinerary you would be stopping at their private island, Coco Cay. I personally love Castaway Cay much better than Coco Cay. My DH has a different opinion. LOL

If there is anything specific you want to know, I would be happy to answer any questions.

disfaninca
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
It all depends on what you're looking for...my crew would take the Freedom of the Seas over the new Disney Dream. :upsidedow I have two boys 13 and 11...and my husband...who all like the FlowRider, rock-wall, ice skating, etc... that is offered on the RCI ship. I also like the pool areas on the RCI ships...and it will be definite pool/beach weather in July/August! :cool2: But this is my crew...as you can see...we are cruising on the Dream in April...but I am having to pull them onto the ship! :upsidedow I love what DCL offers...the Disney shows...the dining rotations...but I am out numbered in the family! So we have decided to take short cruises with DCL and longer cruises with RCI...

As far as food...we like both cruiselines...
As far as service...we have had great service on both...
As far as cabin size...we really don't care...not in there much...
As far as ports...Bahamas versus Eastern Caribbean...The Caribbean would win...and two stops at CC doesn't enthuse my crew...they could take or leave CC...(We live on the coast)

This is just our opinions...you are going to get a bunch of them! popcorn::

Enjoy...whatever you decide to do! :3dglasses

I agree about the pool areas. And the H2O Zone is fantastic!

Disney On A Dime!
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

:cool1: Hey...you just reached post #100 with this one! Way to go!!! :cool1:

Twinparents
01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
For what it is worth I would pick DCL. We did our first (and last) RCL cruise this past Thanksgiving. My kids were 8, 13 and 13. While they liked the flow rider every single one of them got hurt. My 8 year old was bleeding and they didn't even have a band aid for her. The rock wall was an hour wait every time we went. The ice skating was a disaster because RCL does not know how to control the crowds. This was also evident upon debarkation as it took 2 solid hours to get off the ship.

Our DCL cruises have always had amazing service and food. We were definitely spoiled by Disney. Yes RCL is cheaper but they nickel and dime you for everything on the boat. They wanted to charge us $25 to have my daughter decorate cookies.

jrm11697
01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
:cool1: Hey...you just reached post #100 with this one! Way to go!!! :cool1:

YES!!!! :banana: after reading comments I am liking disney more. but the only thing im worried about is that will kids think disney cruise is too ''kiddish''? children are in their teens. but dream looks awesome!

P.S. Its strange how it says Mouseketeer under my name but I havent been on a disney vacation in 5 years! ahahah! i guess that has something to do with the # of post u have on here

Disney On A Dime!
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
How old are your children? :confused3 Are they active in like skiing or surfing or skate-boarding or hiking or swimming? If they are active and pretty good at those activities, then the RCI ships have a lot to offer. We have cruised twice on the Liberty of the Seas...my crew is very active...they surf and skate-board here at home (even my husband)...so using the FlowRider was a blast...and no one got hurt. :thumbsup2 But if your kids are not so agile or sports coordinated...the FlowRider would be a challenge...IMHO (I would never be able to do it!) We always went to the FlowRider at the opening times or port days...and never experienced huge wait times. As far as the rock-wall...we tried very hard to avoid the busiest times of the day...if the line was long...we would go swim...or skate...and then would come back...no worries! The ice skating was a lot of fun on our first cruise...I even did it! :goodvibes Then the second cruise...the boys only did it once...they were more into the other stuff.

:) Now as far as embarking and debarking...we have had smooth sailing through both of these on both DCL and RCI...and then we have had some hang-ups on both the cruiselines. Sometimes it just comes down to customs...:upsidedow

:) And then the extra cost issue arises...I will tell you, yes, RCI does charge for some of the items that come free on DCL. I will also tell you that my on-board account is always much...and I mean much higher on DCL...due to all the purchases in the stores...for some reason that Disney merchandise just calls my name! :upsidedow

:) To give reasons for DCL...I really like the shows (However, after you have seen them three times...they do get very old)...I like the rotational dining...I like the Disney theming...I like the movies on the top deck...I like the showing of first run movies...:yay:

:) I am by no means attempting to sway you one way or the other...Just attempting to give you my opinions. We cruise both lines, and like each one for different reasons. It just comes down to what experience do you want for this cruise? Do some searching on-line with your kids...watching some videos and such... That might help to make your decision...:rolleyes1

dursin
01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd go with the Dream. They are comparably sized ships, but the Dream is BRAND new and the Freedom is 5 years old. DCL has better food than RCCL and the shows on DCL are also amazing. The 5 day cruise includes 2 days at Castaway Cay too which is tough to beat. Perfect island, lunch is included as is transportation to the beach...which can be either your feet or a tram. :)

I have 3 boys who are 17, 14 and 9 now and they'll take DCL over RCCL or Carnival any day.

Edd
01-15-2011, 08:50 PM
If your kids are older, 10 or above, I would give the Freedom a try. There is so much more for kids to do aboard the Freedom. The Dream is newer, but kids don't look at how old the ship is or how pretty. They are looking for fun and they will find that on the Freedom.

OrangeCountyCommuter
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Having done both.. I would go with the ports that interest me best. I am not that big of a fan of Castaway to do it twice on one cruise. IF RCCL was going different and new places I would probably go with it.

Of course you posted this on a DISNEY cruise board? What do you really think 90% of the posters will say. Post it on a RCCL board and the results would probably be the exact opposite.

you are getting a "bias" just about anyplace.

Mickeyhugger
01-15-2011, 09:03 PM
If your kids are older, 10 or above, I would give the Freedom a try. There is so much more for kids to do aboard the Freedom. The Dream is newer, but kids don't look at how old the ship is or how pretty. They are looking for fun and they will find that on the Freedom.

But the Dream has the Aqua Duck:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 and that blows away any old flow rider that I can do at any of the local water parks at home.

Rob

disgrajak
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I haven't been on either so my opinion is probably worth less than 2 cents!! But having said that, for me, I am all about the "experience" of the cruise. I'm really not interested in doing things that we could do at home. We have an ice skating rink 10 minutes away. The kids have a rock climbing wall at their school and we had one at our previous health club. We also live near a hotel that has a flow rider. The pool isn't a huge selling point either. For me it came down to the ports and the hope that Disney will provide me with a unique, quality experience. Hope I am right!

Edd
01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that the aquaduck can blow away any flow-rider ride. The only report I have seen on the aquaduck is that it took 45 minutes to get back on the ride. There is nothing to do on the aquaduck but ride as far as I can see. The flow-rider involves constant improvement in positioning and riding the boogie board and learning to stand up on the larger boards. The waiting time is about 10 - 20 minutes depending on the number up there to ride. There is big challenge in riding the flow-rider which kids and young adults seem to find fun in.

dursin
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
There absolutely is not "so much more to do: aboard the Freedom. The Dream offers every bit as much in activities and things to do for guests of all ages. If the kids are looking for fun, they will not only find it on the Dream, but FUN will find them. Nobody does better at entertaining kids than Disney. You'll never see a kid (of any age) on a Disney ship looking over at that other ship in port next to them wishing they were on that one instead.

sullins5
01-15-2011, 10:48 PM
:confused3 I don't knowwwww....A few years back my dd (18) and I went on RCI and I actually had to pull her away and out of a few things. Ok., so call me conservative but when they announced the activities director as "Sex on a Stick"...it was a little overboard. And everything we did seemed to be laced with innuendoes that were totally inappropriate for this mom and daughter. Even one of the band members (while yes it was a compliment) came up at the pool and was pretty forward, I had to apologize to my dd she heard him come on to me like that.
Yes, wonderful service
Yes, good food,
Yes, rooms and activities were great...
But I'll not do it again unless I have my dh or a group of us together!

And yes, I should have told someone about some of it, but it was my 1st ever cruise and I didn't have a clue!

woody73
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
. . . You'll never see a kid (of any age) on a Disney ship looking over at that other ship in port next to them wishing they were on that one instead.
Never? We must have been on different Disney cruises. Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipsterman/5284266980/).

Woody

dursin
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that the aquaduck can blow away any flow-rider ride. The only report I have seen on the aquaduck is that it took 45 minutes to get back on the ride. There is nothing to do on the aquaduck but ride as far as I can see. The flow-rider involves constant improvement in positioning and riding the boogie board and learning to stand up on the larger boards. The waiting time is about 10 - 20 minutes depending on the number up there to ride. There is big challenge in riding the flow-rider which kids and young adults seem to find fun in.
Aquaduck has a much wider appeal than the Flow-rider and has a lower height requirements as well (48" vs 52"/58" for Flow-rider). It's amazing, though not surprising, that you managed to find a report that only mentioned the wait time and not how much fun people are having on the Aquaduck.

lovethedream
01-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Seen a report means written. Can you please provide link to said report. Thank you.

5lilfish
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Wasn't it just yesterday that you said, "I love seeing "I heard somewhere" bit. That just makes a statement so uncredible that nothing else posted by the poster seems valid."

I'm not going down this road again because it has become beyond pointless...but I just couldn't resist this.

Jess

lmhall2000
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I have 5 teens going on the Wonder in March, I had 3 last May...believe me Teens will LOVE Disney...especially the Dream, they have ratcheted up their special club for teens and with that large a ship you may never see them...just make dinners mandatory so you can share the day's events.

But I will add, 5 days to me just isn't enough...well, maybe if it's 5 nights..and 6 days..not sure how it's set up...it took us that long just to find everything on the Magic, can't imagine feeling like you've experienced it all on the 5..but Fantasy will be out the next year and offer 7 so you can promise them a longer trip next time! :)
Tara

5lilfish
01-15-2011, 11:32 PM

If the Dream is as good as the Magic/Wonder (which is a fairly safe bet), then the Dream and the Freedom of the Seas are both great ships. If it were my family, I'd take 5 days on the Dream. For us, DCL is just a bit more relaxing and a no-brainer great vacation for every member of the family. We have enjoyed RCI but DCL remains our favorite cruise line. 2 stops at CC would be a big plus for my family.

Jess

lovethedream
01-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I think I found the one you reference, but have not been able to find the post they reference. I did, however, find a post by someone who had acutally been on the ship and said that the aqua duck was the best water slide they had ever been on. :cool1:

lovethedream
01-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Wasn't it just yesterday that you said, "I love seeing "I heard somewhere" bit. That just makes a statement so uncredible that nothing else posted by the poster seems valid."

I'm not going down this road again because it has become beyond pointless...but I just couldn't resist this.

Jess

Here is the thread I believe referenced. To me, they are talking of the sign somebody took a picture of, not actual experience and actually waiting that length of time. Also, further down the thread, they seem to indicate it was under certain circumstances. The person posted they actually rode it never gave any indication of time in line.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=39549672

5lilfish
01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
:) won't get sucked in....lol

woody73
01-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I look forward to riding the Aqua Duck.

As for ride waiting times, I read they can "launch" one tube every 50 seconds. Post. (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39509407&postcount=7)

I don't know what that means when there are 4,000 passengers onboard, or whether a 45 minute wait is realistic.

Woody

Edd
01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
I guess you have found the thread I was referring to. Just an indication of what the ride will be like. There won't be any good reports back until the ship starts regular cruising next week. There are some differences that could be significant. Can any adult ride the aquaduck or is it set up just for kids?

DMMarla07860
01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
I guess you have found the thread I was referring to. Just an indication of what the ride will be like. There won't be any good reports back until the ship starts regular cruising next week. There are some differences that could be significant. Can any adult ride the aquaduck or is it set up just for kids?

I'm pretty sure, I saw a video of a adult riding aquaduck so I'll just guess yes any adult can ride aquaduck.:cool1:

toywaltz
01-16-2011, 08:05 AM
There's six of us and we usually get a two bedroom suite at the Residence Inn. Always happy with this one. Radisson is good too but they don't seem to have as many suites. We usually book pretty late and have trouble getting a suite there.

I-Bike
01-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Of course the majority here are going to say DCL - it's a Disney site. I don't care for RCL, it may have been my experience but the rugs were dirty and all they did was push drinks at us. I like an occasional cocktail, but it was a bit much. I can't compare the two, however, because I've never been on a Disney cruise.

OrangeCountyCommuter
01-16-2011, 09:00 AM
I have done both..
Service.. IMHO no real difference
Ports.. RCCL wins... Disney's use of only Port Canaveral really limits them.
Adults... I liked RCCL's activities etc better.

Kids.. don't have any :)

Cost... Well that may be why most of my future cruises are on someone besides DCL. The "premium" isn't worth it IMHO.

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 10:03 AM

There have been some reports from the cruises aleady taken. From what I have been able to find so far, they have been extremly positive.

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Actually, I am a little confused by the statement in bold. I will admit that I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the aquaduck but virtually every where you look is the picture of the dad riding it with his son.

I am trying to keep an open mind here, especially since I have not been able to experience the aquaduck personally. I did not ride the flow rider myself, while we watched others ride it, I had no desire to do so myself.

OrangeCountyCommuter
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
There have been some reports from the cruises aleady taken. From what I have been able to find so far, they have been extremly positive.

They also appear to be on a ship that is FAR from full.... I am more curious as to what the general public gets then "special guests Disney is trying to impress" ;)

Edd
01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube. The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning? I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.

I actually rode the flow-rider for about 10 seconds. After that I vowed to lose weight and try again. I just found this link, a virtual ride on the aquaduck. The water slides and the flow-riders are much more of an intense ride. There will be more passengers who will go on this ride, but I don't think it will blow-away the flow-riders experience.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/disney-cruise-line-ride-the-aquaduck/

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube. The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning? I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.

I actually rode the flow-rider for about 10 seconds. After that I vowed to lose weight and try again next year. I was fun.

I just found this link, a virtual ride on the aquaduck.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/disney-cruise-line-ride-the-aquaduck/

The review I read from somebody that rode it said they got pretty wet. The person in back a bit more than the person in front only because the person in front was protected from the water jets.

Otherwise, they are two very different types of rides. I had no desire to go on the flow rider where the aqua duck, based on experience from going on rides similar, looks pretty inviting to me.

dursin
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube.
See, that's a big plus. One could get dressed for dinner and then go get in a quick ride on the Aquaduck because they stay dry inside the tube!!! :lmao:

The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning?
Yes Edd...they have air conditioning, basic cable and Wifi access.

I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.
Might be a good idea to do so before you go around saying how much better the Flow-rider is. After all, you criticize others for making comments about things that they've never experienced.

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
They also appear to be on a ship that is FAR from full.... I am more curious as to what the general public gets then "special guests Disney is trying to impress" ;)

Yes, I agree. But I have also seen pictures of the Freedom taken during a normal cruise that showed it to be far from full, when in fact, it was anything but. I will have to go back and read the posts again. Thanks.

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM

I actually rode the flow-rider for about 10 seconds. After that I vowed to lose weight and try again. I just found this link, a virtual ride on the aquaduck. The water slides and the flow-riders are much more of an intense ride. There will be more passengers who will go on this ride, but I don't think it will blow-away the flow-riders experience.

The vehicle is an intertube... "water protected vehicle" :confused3. Did DCL change what you ride in?

KingRichard
01-16-2011, 01:18 PM

I find it very hard to believe that on a ship with 4-6000 people that the wait time is only 10 minutes?

How long do you ride 10 seconds?

Or is that it is so bad no one wants to go on it a second time?

These girls seemed to enjoy the DUCK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptOXSYY0Bc

5lilfish
01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I find it very hard to believe that on a ship with 4-6000 people that the wait time is only 10 minutes?

I loved the Flowrider. My 3 oldest kids (13, 12 and 10 at the time of our last RCI cruise) also loved the Flowrider. We even rented it out for a 1 hr private lesson...a true highlight of our cruise.

That being said, it can build up longer lines than what Edd is posting. We found less of a wait on the Oasis than on Independence/Liberty...because Oasis has 2 Flowriders. During busy time periods on Independence/Liberty, there was easily a 30 minute wait between rides. On the Oasis the wait was usually between 10 and 20 minutes....not bad at all.

As for how long people are on the Flowrider, that depends on how good they are. Some people wipe out in 30 seconds. Others ride for a few minutes. The staff does a great job of encouraging riders to try new things/tricks and therefore wipe out..to keep them for being on for too long.

I am looking forward to trying the Aquaduck.

Jess

Disney On A Dime!
01-16-2011, 01:54 PM

We have been on the Liberty of the Seas twice now...once at Christmas with a full ship...and we never waited more than 10 minutes. It's just like at WDW...you have to stay ahead of the crowds...and that's what we did. Yes, if you go to the FlowRider at 3PM in the afternoon...it is going to be crowded. If you go at 8AM or a port day...it is not crowded. My crew loves the FlowRider...we have even been to the huge one on Grand Cayman. And no, we do not have anything like this near us...so using it on a cruise-ship works best for our family. We do, however; have a water park close by...and it offers the tube-like experience that the AquaDuck is going to provide...also...doesn't Typhoon Lagoon have the same type of water coaster called "Crush n Gusher?" In all honesty, my family will probably do the coaster one time...it appears to be a simple ride around the top of the ship with about two small drops and the coaster effect to bring you back up. Is the AquaDuck unique...yes...but it is definitely not challenging...and there is no learning curve associated with it. With the FlowRider...there is definitely a learning curve...and it is awesome to see so many kids and adults master their skills on the FlowRider throughout the week!

I just think that the whole debate about the AquaDuck vs. the FlowRider is like comparing apples to oranges. They aren't the same.

I usually don't get into this debate...but I do have experience with what is being discussed...and I do truly enjoy both cruiselines. We are cruising the Dream this April...and I am looking into the Allure of the Seas for Spring Break of 2012!

Edd
01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
The first and only time I rode the flow-rider I wiped out in 10 or 15 seconds. That was a wild ride for me. I didn't go back on because I figured I would either get private lessons or find another time to get on it. I didn't find any extra time. To many other things to do and maybe I couldn't build up the nerve to try it again.

The lines probably could get longer, but remember the whole cruise ship is not wanting to do the flow-rider. I timed the intervals between my GS's rides, while I was watching him, and there wasn't anything over 15 minutes. Of course a lot depends on what is in front of you. If you get wiped out faster the line goes faster.

The previous poster said it right. The learning curve is what keeps the flow-rider interesting and fun. Also the wipe-outs are usually major dunkings in nice cool water. The aquaduck seems like just a nice ride through a water tube and nothing is wrong with that. A lot more will get to enjoy it. My GS started out with short wipe-outs and by the end of the cruise was on the board a long time doing tricks and being encouraged by the staff to do more so he would wipe-out.

Like someone else posted. These are two completely different rides so no comparison.

KidsRN
01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I would sail on the dream. The level of service on Disney is better than royal and NCL. I have cruised them all.
I second this!! Except I have only cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean to compare to Disney. My girls are 10, 12, and 14. We recently cruised RCCL Freedom of the Seas and I thought my older two would have enjoyed RCCL--but no--they are wanting to return to DCL and of course want to go on the latest/greatest DREAM!!

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
The first and only time I rode the flow-rider I wiped out in 10 or 15 seconds. That was a wild ride for me. I didn't go back on because I figured I would either get private lessons or find another time to get on it. I didn't find any extra time. To many other things to do and maybe I couldn't build up the nerve to try it again.

The lines probably could get longer, but remember the whole cruise ship is not wanting to do the flow-rider. I timed the intervals between my GS's rides, while I was watching him, and there wasn't anything over 15 minutes. Of course a lot depends on what is in front of you. If you get wiped out faster the line goes faster.

The previous poster said it right. The learning curve is what keeps the flow-rider interesting and fun. Also the wipe-outs are usually major dunkings in nice cool water. The aquaduck seems like just a nice ride through a water tube and nothing is wrong with that. A lot more will get to enjoy it. My GS started out with short wipe-outs and by the end of the cruise was on the board a long time doing tricks and being encouraged by the staff to do more so he would wipe-out.

Like someone else posted. These are two completely different rides so no comparison.

Well, for some at least. I have much more interest in the aqua duck (can't wait to try it :worship:) than the flow rider. We went and spent some time watching others on the flow rider (on the Freedom) and never did I once have any desire to try it. But that is why there are different cruise line's out there! :)

Luvstocruise
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
From vids I have seen I would think the flow rider on RCL would require considerable more skill than riding something like the Aquaduck. Hence, there are many adults male and female and many young kids (like 3 - 5 years old) that may not be outgoing enough to try a ride like Flow Rider vs. the Aquaduck which just requires that you sit down and do almost nothing. So the target market would seem to be much broader for Aquaduck. Isn't this typical of Disney to make a ride that more would enjoy at least trying?

On the other hand, due to a learning curve, many kids, tweens and teenagers would be attracted to RCL's Flow Rider for the challenge/fun factor. My gut feeling, more adults would be willing to try the Aqua Duck than something like the RCL Flow Rider.

Maybe its a good thing that RCL and DCL are not cookie cutter similar to each other, life would be boring then.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
From vids I have seen I would think the flow rider on RCL would require considerable more skill than riding something like the Aquaduck. Hence, there are many adults male and female and many young kids (like 3 - 5 years old) that may not be outgoing enough to try a ride like Flow Rider vs. the Aquaduck which just requires that you sit down and do almost nothing. So the target market would seem to be much broader for Aquaduck. Isn't this typical of Disney to make a ride that more would enjoy at least trying?

On the other hand, due to a learning curve, many kids, tweens and teenagers would be attracted to RCL's Flow Rider for the challenge/fun factor. My gut feeling, more adults would be willing to try the Aqua Duck than something like the RCL Flow Rider.

Maybe its a good thing that RCL and DCL are not cookie cutter similar to each other, life would be boring then.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

:thumbsup2

Edd
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
You are probably right and I agree with you. DCL's problem is that they may have too many that will want to ride it or just ride it once. Than the most exciting ride on the ship becomes a ride you are going to be able to enjoy onbly once or a few times due to its popularity. Before it is over you may have to have some form of the DCL Express pass to get on it.

The other problem is how old does a child usually get to be 48 inches in heigth. You know how strict Disney is in enforcing its height limits. That ride should require no height restriction.

5lilfish
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
You are probably right and I agree with you. DCL's problem is that they may have too many that will want to ride it or just ride it once. Than the most exciting ride on the ship becomes a ride you are going to be able to enjoy onbly once or a few times due to its popularity. Before it is over you may have to have some form of the DCL Express pass to get on it.

The other problem is how old does a child usually get to be 48 inches in heigth. You know how strict Disney is in enforcing its height limits. That ride should require no height restriction.

Disney would not put a height restriction on the ride if it was not needed. The Flowrider has a minimum height of 52 inches for boogie boarding and 58 inches for surfing. I know my 3rd child missed the 52" at 8 but made it at 9 yrs old. At almost 11, she still cannot surf. She made 48" at 7 yrs old (I know that because she needed to be that tall to ride Rock n Rollercoaster).

Jess

Mason3
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
My daughter is eleven (and will be twelve) when we sail the Dream in June. My husband and I considered the Oasis, but our daughter wanted to do the Dream. And now she wants to do the Fantasy when she is fourteen so she can go to Vibe.:cool2:

dursin
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Problem must be even worse on RCCL where you need to be 52" tall just to belly surf on the Flow Rider. Kids on the Dream can ride the Aquaduck at 48" and if they fall short there, they have the Mickey Slide. RCCL doesn't have pool slides do they?

Also, according to the CDC, on average, a child will reach 48" at 7 years old and won't reach 52" until they are nearly 9. That's a pretty large group of kids who will be able to enjoy the Aquaduck, but not the Flowrider.

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM

I, for one, am not worried!

lovethedream
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Problem must be even worse on RCCL where you need to be 52" tall just to belly surf on the Flow Rider. Kids on the Dream can ride the Aquaduck at 48" and if they fall short there, they have the Mickey Slide. RCCL doesn't have pool slides do they?

Also, according to the CDC, on average, a child will reach 48" at 7 years old and won't reach 52" until they are nearly 9. That's a pretty large group of kids who will be able to enjoy the Aquaduck, but not the Flowrider.

Good point!

Disney On A Dime!
01-16-2011, 10:41 PM

No pool slides, but a very large H2O area...and many different swimming pools. From talking with the FlowRider crew...the height limits are set by the company that makes the FlowRider...and legal makes the cruise ship implement them. My son, who barely made the height requirement...had a hard time staying in the wave. The force of the wave requires a person to be larger than a small child. I just believe the height requirements are for safety...not to disadvantage the shorter kid's group.

KSDisneyDad
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
YES!!!! :banana: after reading comments I am liking disney more. but the only thing im worried about is that will kids think disney cruise is too ''kiddish''? children are in their teens. but dream looks awesome!

P.S. Its strange how it says Mouseketeer under my name but I havent been on a disney vacation in 5 years! ahahah! i guess that has something to do with the # of post u have on here

This is a tough decision. I would try to balance cost per day and at this late in the game for DCL, I'm sure that Freedom will be less expensive per day. Had you booked far in advance, the cost difference wouldn't have been as significant.

If you really like Disney, then DCL will have an intagible that RCCL doesn't. If that's not a big deal, then I'd say this decision is a toss-up.

If you've never been on a cruise, a 5-night will be slightly shorter in case anyone gets seasick. That said, we prefer longer cruises.

If your family is really into Disney, you will probably enjoy it. On our cruise this past March, we had extended family join us and our niece acted like she was too "big" for DCL. She didn't seem to enjoy herself as much, but she did enjoy CC! Also, she didn't really get a chance to try out the clubs as her grandparents who live out of state were on the cruise and I think she felt obligated to spend time with them so that could have been a contributing factor. Regardless, it's always a chance when a teen goes on DCL for the first time that they may think they are too big for it. If they are frequent WDW visitors, that shouldn't be an issue though IMO. Out two teens love DCL and can't wait to try out the new ships and the additional areas for teens.

We have friends who prefer RCL because they like to try the different ports. They don't cruise for the ship, but the itinerary. They say their teens are bored on Sea Days though as well. Could just be a teen thing.. :confused3

And only you know your family for which decision is right for you. Hopefully, you can read through the clutter of "Aquaduck" vs "Flowrider" (I doubt too many people use that as their exclusive decision making issue when choosing between the two lines) to see the pros and cons of both itineraries and lines to help with your decision.

Katems
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm torn between these two, as well. And I've never cruised before so I'm clueless.

I did a search though, and it appears that mini golf, the Flowrider, ice skating, and rock climbing are all free on Royal Caribbean....is that true? I thought someone here said all the activities were extra and they were nickeled and dimed for everything.

Can anyone tell me what, exactly, you have to pay extra for on RCCL?

Do you have to pay anything extra for Disney?

If you want to skip formal nights, can you eat at other restaurants?

Edd
01-18-2011, 05:44 AM
The DCL has a free drink machine located on the pool deck. You can get all the soft drinks you want at that location. I am not sure where it is on the Dream. The RCL and other cruise lines charge a certain amount of money for you to get soft drinks. On the RCL and the Carnival you can pick up a drink at any drink station on the ship if you carry the drink card. Otherwise you pay about $2.00 for the drink, the DCL charge is at any other station on the ship, except for the dining room during dining hours, for each drink if you don't get the drink card. I am of the belief it is better to get the drink card than to walk to the pool drink to get a soft drink.

The RCL asks for a $20.00 deposit on a certain type of towel that is of very high quality. The deposit is returned if the towel is returned. I just take a towel from the room when I go to the pool. Some people like the quality of that towel and so get that towel for the sun bathing. There are probably a few who would like that towel so much that it would disappear from the ship at the end of the cruise. So RCL charges the deposit for it.OP's call it nickel and diming. It is kind of like the clock in the room on the DCL ships. If it is gone you will get charged for it.

However those who like to cry "nickel and diming" don't mention they pay more for drinks on the DCL (.50 to 1.50) than on the RCL. They don't mention the items they buy in the Disney store are more than equal items that are bought aboard most other ships for less. The cost to play bingo is more on the DCL than the other ships, unless the price of the DCL bingo has gone down.

"Nickel and diming" is just a bashing tool used by some because most of the charges on any of the cruise lines are pretty much equal to everyone elses. There are small exceptions and each cruise line has their exceptions.

On formal night in the RCL's and the DCL's you can still eat dinner, at your assigned dining room, in just a regular pair of pants and shirt. You don't have to go formal, just not like you just came off the beach in shorts and that type of apparel.

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm torn between these two, as well. And I've never cruised before so I'm clueless.

I did a search though, and it appears that mini golf, the Flowrider, ice skating, and rock climbing are all free on Royal Caribbean....is that true? I thought someone here said all the activities were extra and they were nickeled and dimed for everything.

Can anyone tell me what, exactly, you have to pay extra for on RCCL?

Do you have to pay anything extra for Disney?

If you want to skip formal nights, can you eat at other restaurants?

Soda is free on DCL and you have to pay for it on RCI...whether you choose to pay per drink or buy a soda package, you still pay....and I don't care whether you have to go to the soda station on DCL...it is still free. You have to put a $20/per towel deposit down in order to get a pool towel. There is nothing special about this towel...just a pool towel. The problem is, they all are the same. So when your 12 yr old puts his pool towel on a chair and walks away to swim, anyone can take his towel and you might be stuck paying $20. On Labadee, you have to pay to use a life vest...free on DCL. There is free soft serve ice cream on both ships but RCI has Ben and Jerry's...you have to pay for that. I'm not saying it isn't worth it or that you can't just skip it, but odds are your kids are going to want Ben and Jerry's and it will cost money. Same thing with Johnny Rockets. You don't have to go there, but they play it up to the kids. Kid's clubs....always free on DCL. On RCI, you have to pay to use the kid's clubs after 10pm. Also, if your child goes to lunch or dinner with the kid's club on RCI, you have to pay a fee...it's free on DCL.

These are the examples that I can think of off-hand.
Jess

KingRichard
01-18-2011, 07:11 AM
The DCL has a free drink machine located on the pool deck. You can get all the soft drinks you want at that location. I am not sure where it is on the Dream. The RCL and other cruise lines charge a certain amount of money for you to get soft drinks. On the RCL and the Carnival you can pick up a drink at any drink station on the ship if you carry the drink card. Otherwise you pay about $2.00 for the drink, the DCL charge is at any other station on the ship, except for the dining room during dining hours, for each drink if you don't get the drink card. I am of the belief it is better to get the drink card than to walk to the pool drink to get a soft drink.

The RCL asks for a $20.00 deposit on a certain type of towel that is of very high quality. The deposit is returned if the towel is returned. I just take a towel from the room when I go to the pool. Some people like the quality of that towel and so get that towel for the sun bathing. There are probably a few who would like that towel so much that it would disappear from the ship at the end of the cruise. So RCL charges the deposit for it.OP's call it nickel and diming. It is kind of like the clock in the room on the DCL ships. If it is gone you will get charged for it.

However those who like to cry "nickel and diming" don't mention they pay more for drinks on the DCL (.50 to 1.50) than on the RCL. They don't mention the items they buy in the Disney store are more than equal items that are bought aboard most other ships for less. The cost to play bingo is more on the DCL than the other ships, unless the price of the DCL bingo has gone down.

"Nickel and diming" is just a bashing tool used by some because most of the charges on any of the cruise lines are pretty much equal to everyone elses. There are small exceptions and each cruise line has their exceptions.

On formal night in the RCL's and the DCL's you can still eat dinner, at your assigned dining room, in just a regular pair of pants and shirt. You don't have to go formal, just not like you just came off the beach in shorts and that type of apparel.

Isn't the buffet open like 6 hours a day and you can get free drink there as well?(DCL as we know the other lines nickle and dime you for everything)

Edd
01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
The towel that the deposit is put on is a much better quality than the regular towels. If it wasn't why you you pay a deposit for it. The pool deck has a hampers on the deck with the regualar clean towels in it or you can bring a towel from the room. Why would you pay $20.00 deposit for that towel. It is of better quality!!!! Besides that is just a deposit, not an extra charge.

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 07:25 AM
The towel that the deposit is put on is a much better quality than the regular towels. If it wasn't why you you pay a deposit for it. The pool deck has a hampers on the deck with the regualar clean towels in it or you can bring a towel from the room. Why would you pay $20.00 deposit for that towel. It is of better quality!!!! Besides that is just a deposit, not an extra charge.

It is of better quality than the room towel. It is not of better quality than the DCL pool towels (or at least not that I noticed...I certainly would not pay $20 to keep it as a souvenier). You ask, why do you have to pay a deposit? That is exactly how I feel...Why do they make us pay a deposit...DCL doesn't? Also, DCL has hampers for dirty towles too and you can grab a fresh (deposit-free) pool towel anytime you want. As for deposit vs extra charge...it becomes an extra charge when someone walks off with your towel and you are stuck paying for it. I have 5 kids....I don't want the 'stress' of keeping tabs on all our towels to make sure nobody takes off with one of ours. Last cruise i had a 10 minute arguement with a lady at the Flowrider when her DD tried to take my DD's towel. The lady INSISTED it was her DD's towel. She told me she saw her DD put it there. Finally, her DD walks away and comes back with another towel...saying oops, I put it on that chair over there. I have no idea if that towel was hers, but at least she wasn't taking our towel and leaving us to pay $20.

Jess

KingRichard
01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
It is of better quality than the room towel. It is not of better quality than the DCL pool towels (or at least not that I noticed...I certainly would not pay $20 to keep it as a souvenier). You ask, why do you have to pay a deposit? That is exactly how I feel...Why do they make us pay a deposit...DCL doesn't? Also, DCL has hampers for dirty towles too and you can grab a fresh (deposit-free) pool towel anytime you want. As for deposit vs extra charge...it becomes an extra charge when someone walks off with your towel and you are stuck paying for it. I have 5 kids....I don't want the 'stress' of keeping tabs on all our towels to make sure nobody takes off with one of ours. Last cruise i had a 10 minute arguement with a lady at the Flowrider when her DD tried to take my DD's towel. The lady INSISTED it was her DD's towel. She told me she saw her DD put it there. Finally, her DD walks away and comes back with another towel...saying oops, I put it on that chair over there. I have no idea if that towel was hers, but at least she wasn't taking our towel and leaving us to pay $20.

Jess

So they give you $20 for every towel you turn in?:confused3

We could turn that into a money maker!:idea:

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 07:44 AM
So they give you $20 for every towel you turn in?:confused3

We could turn that into a money maker!:idea:

No...they do not give you the $20 when you turn in a towel. They just take the deposit off your bill. They take $20 (charge your bill for the deposit) if you do not turn it in. So, if that little girl in my previous post misplaced her towel, her mom was going to have to pay $20 for it. Instead of doing that, they were just going to take my DD's towel and say it was theirs (and turn it in). That way, they wouldn't have to pay...we would have to pay instead (or turn around and take another towel that wasn't ours...I would not do that).

Jess

dursin
01-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Nickel and diming is not a 'bashing tool'. Like just about everything else you post, that comment is greatly exaggerated. Drinks do not cost more on DCL...in fact, I noticed that the Drink of the Day on DCL was always offered at a very good price, while the Drink of the Day on Carnival was just them naming a drink they were selling at regular price. Soft drinks are free on DCL, they are not free on other cruise lines. DCL will keep the kids in the clubs until midnight or 1am at no charge, while the other cruise lines start charging per child at 10pm. DCL doesn't have places where the kids will bother you to spend extra money on food such as Johnny Rockets. DCL doesn't have a casino to help them steal money from your pocket. DCL doesn't charge you a $20 deposit to use a towel.

btw: Stop putting THE before every cruise line abbreviation!!!!

dursin
01-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Right Edd...I'm sure the toilet paper is even softer and more wonderful on RCCL. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

dursin
01-18-2011, 08:20 AM
No...they do not give you the $20 when you turn in a towel. They just take the deposit off your bill. They take $20 (charge your bill for the deposit) if you do not turn it in. So, if that little girl in my previous post misplaced her towel, her mom was going to have to pay $20 for it. Instead of doing that, they were just going to take my DD's towel and say it was theirs (and turn it in). That way, they wouldn't have to pay...we would have to pay instead (or turn around and take another towel that wasn't ours...I would not do that).

Jess

You could probably make some cash selling towels to those who lost them for like 10 bucks each. :)

KingRichard
01-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Right Edd...I'm sure the toilet paper is even softer and more wonderful on RCCL. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Only if you pay extra?:confused3

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM

ok...that cracked me up. LOL. It's a well known fact that the sun shines brighter on the RCI ships and the birds chirp outside your window to wake you up.

Jess

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Only if you pay extra?:confused3

LOL...that also cracked me up. It's only a deposit though. If you give the empty rolls back, you don't get charged.

Jess

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
No cash exchanges hands when you get a pool towel on RCI. They swipe your room key when you get a towel, and if you DON'T return the towel, you are charged $20. The old beach towels were a nondescript gold color, and they were in your cabin. The new towels say "Royal Caribbean" and look much nicer. I can see why some people would keep those towels for souvenirs if not for the $20 charge!

Mickeyhugger
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Nickel and diming is not a 'bashing tool'. Like just about everything else you post, that comment is greatly exaggerated. Drinks do not cost more on DCL...in fact, I noticed that the Drink of the Day on DCL was always offered at a very good price, while the Drink of the Day on Carnival was just them naming a drink they were selling at regular price. Soft drinks are free on DCL, they are not free on other cruise lines. DCL will keep the kids in the clubs until midnight or 1am at no charge, while the other cruise lines start charging per child at 10pm. DCL doesn't have places where the kids will bother you to spend extra money on food such as Johnny Rockets. DCL doesn't have a casino to help them steal money from your pocket. DCL doesn't charge you a $20 deposit to use a towel.

btw: Stop putting THE before every cruise line abbreviation!!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
We're all HAPPY cruisers! :)

Katems
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Um, wow....I am a regular on the DIS Walt Disney World board, and very used to towel ANIMAL debates, but I see that over here there are POOL towel debates....goodness!

Thanks for the replies....I am actually torn more between DCL in general (probably Magic, as we're looking at a seven day Eastern Caribbean trip) and RCCL. Disney is quite a bit more expensive, which may make the extra fees on RCCL not be as much of an issue.

I still haven't heard about any MAJOR RCCL fees....like the lady who mentioned $25 to decorate cookies. All I'm hearing about is soda, alcohol, and special pool towels. It makes me wonder if RCCL really does have these extra nickel and dime things.

dursin
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Um, wow....I am a regular on the DIS Walt Disney World board, and very used to towel ANIMAL debates, but I see that over here there are POOL towel debates....goodness!

Thanks for the replies....I am actually torn more between DCL in general (probably Magic, as we're looking at a seven day Eastern Caribbean trip) and RCCL. Disney is quite a bit more expensive, which may make the extra fees on RCCL not be as much of an issue.

I still haven't heard about any MAJOR RCCL fees....like the lady who mentioned $25 to decorate cookies. All I'm hearing about is soda, alcohol, and special pool towels. It makes me wonder if RCCL really does have these extra nickel and dime things.
RCCL...aka "The RCL", doesn't have too many extra charges, but a few do exist. The ones that come to mind are the charge for sodas that are included on DCL, the $5 (I think) per child per hour "Babysitting fees" that are charged after 10pm and upcharge restaurants that some parents may feel pressured into taking the kids to like Johnny Rockets.

The $20 towel rental fee is a new one on me and I think it's ridiculous, but that charge is easily avoided so doesn't really count against RCCL any more than the $250 charge for losing a Wave phone would on DCL.

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM

You can spend extra on DCL for beer and wine tastings, specialty restaurants (Palo and Remy), and snacks at the theater. To clarify - RCI doesn't charge for the use of pool towels - but for the LOSS of a pool towel. If you have young kids and you want them in the kids' clubs after 10 p.m. on RCI - you will pay extra for that. (Seems to me that kids that age ought to be in bed or with their parents at that hour!)

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
RCCL...aka "The RCL", doesn't have too many extra charges, but a few do exist. The ones that come to mind are the charge for sodas that are included on DCL, the $5 (I think) per child per hour "Babysitting fees" that are charged after 10pm and upcharge restaurants that some parents may feel pressured into taking the kids to like Johnny Rockets.

The $20 towel rental fee is a new one on me and I think it's ridiculous, but that charge is easily avoided so doesn't really count against RCCL any more than the $250 charge for losing a Wave phone would on DCL.

I agee about the towels...to a point. The wave phones will have individual ID's. So if someone loses their phone, they cannot just grab yours and claim it as their own to avoid paying (sticking you with the fee). Plus, in general, you are going to leave your towel on a chair at the pool much more casually and more often than you would set down a phone and walk away.

Jess

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
You can spend extra on DCL for beer and wine tastings, specialty restaurants (Palo and Remy), and snacks at the theater. To clarify - RCI doesn't charge for the use of pool towels - but for the LOSS of a pool towel. If you have young kids and you want them in the kids' clubs after 10 p.m. on RCI - you will pay extra for that. (Seems to me that kids that age ought to be in bed or with their parents at that hour!)

My 11 yr old does not go to bed at 10pm on vacation (or even at home, for that matter).

Jess

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

It's not THE RCL or even RCCL - it's RCI - Royal Caribbean International.

There is no $20 "rental fee' for pool towels. They know who takes out pool towels because they swipe your sea pass card. If you don't return your towels, you will be charged.

dursin
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
It's not THE RCL or even RCCL - it's RCI - Royal Caribbean International.
RCCL is a commonly used abbreviation for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. Enter RCCL.COM in your browser and see what comes up...then try RCI.com.

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
RCCL is a commonly used abbreviation for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. Enter RCCL.COM in your browser and see what comes up...then try RCI.com.
DCL is the abbreviation for Disney Cruise Line, but dcl.com will get you nowhere.

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM

hey..you're right. I've always type in rccl.com when I go to their website.

I did not know that rci.com didn't work.

Jess

dursin
01-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Jess
I never knew that someone would be confused by the RCCL abbreviation. Guess I was wrong...there's always at least one. :lmao:

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Jess

Silly me - I type www.royalcaribbean.com. No wonder I have pain in my thumbs from typing all those extra letters! :teeth:

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Silly me - I type www.royalcaribbean.com. No wonder I have pain in my thumbs from typing all those extra letters! :teeth:

but you left off the "I" for International.

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
but you left off the "I" for International.

That's not part of the URL.

5lilfish
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
That's not part of the URL.

I know...you had said silly you for typing royalcaribbean.com, but even that leaves out international.

Basically, the point trying to be made was that RCI and RCCL seem to both be acceptable abbreviations. Royal Caribbean must feel that way since it forwards rccl.com directly to their website.

Jess

NancyIL
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I know...you had said silly you for typing royalcaribbean.com, but even that leaves out international.

Basically, the point trying to be made was that RCI and RCCL seem to both be acceptable abbreviations. Royal Caribbean must feel that way since it forwards rccl.com directly to their website.

Jess

Agreed, and www.rci.com doesn't work because another company already uses it.

thej
01-18-2011, 02:49 PM
We had a similar choice about 5 years ago for a 2nd family reunion cruise. We had done a 3 night on the Wonder several years before that and had a magical time.

7 Nights on RC's Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
- or -
4 nights on DCL.

We chose the 7 nights, and in the end wished we had gone with DCL. It was a fun cruise for the 8 grownups, but 7 grand kids aged 4 - 14yrs would have had a better time on DCL. We also felt that RC nickel-and-dimed you to death on the trip. It seemed that EVERYTHING was extra.

If we had to do it again, it would be DCL.

Edd
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Please, please, please tell me how you got nickel and dimed!!!

dursin
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
We had a similar choice about 5 years ago for a 2nd family reunion cruise. We had done a 3 night on the Wonder several years before that and had a magical time.

7 Nights on RC's Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
- or -
4 nights on DCL.

We chose the 7 nights, and in the end wished we had gone with DCL. It was a fun cruise for the 8 grownups, but 7 grand kids aged 4 - 14yrs would have had a better time on DCL. We also felt that RC nickel-and-dimed you to death on the trip. It seemed that EVERYTHING was extra.

If we had to do it again, it would be DCL.
Part of what I like about cruising as that for the most part, the pain of paying for the vacation is separated from the part where you get to enjoy the vacation. With DCL, I pretty much know that everything but my gratuities and alcohol is included in what I've already paid unless I decide to do some shopping. With other cruise lines, seems like you're being hit up for something additional every time you turn around.

DCL is the Southwest of cruise lines
RCCL and Carnival are like the other airlines that constantly seem to find ways to increase their revenue with other fees. :)

Can't help but laugh at stories like this one!
http://www.shipcriticblog.com/royal-caribbean-first-to-charge-extra-for-cupcakes/

LadyLvsTramp
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Even if we go as adult couple would do Disney no contest we love the level of service, entertainment, food and service. Been 4 times going back soon I hope....

Gupsdad
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

My wife (5LilFish) and I have been on many DCL cruises and several RCCL cruises. We have never had a bad DCL cruise. The cast members have always make you feel at home. They are always initiated conversations and seem to enjoy your company. The RCCL staff is also very accommodating, but there have been times where they seemed put out, not wanting to chat. Granted, they do have to work, so I never feel offended.

I find the nickel and diming occurs after 10pm with the kids club. DCL does not charge but RCL does. Why do they charge? Because they can and you are a captive audience. Disney opts not to because they do "customer service" better than anyone.

With regards to towels: Those $20 towels aren't even worth $5 so RCCL is ripping you off if you towel is lost. What if I find a towel left alone and turn it in? Does RCCL randomly pick a person who did not turn a towel in and return the deposit? I doubt it. They really dont need to charge $20 for a lost towel. With the prices they charge to ride the ship, they wont lose money because of towels.

Extra $$ for food? You can simply avoid it if you choose to. It is your choice whether or not you want to pay extra for food.

What it really boils down to is this: You want to take a 5 day DCL or 7 day RCCL? You pick whichever fits your schedule the best and hope the weather cooperates, because: YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE FUN!!!!!

Tom

jilljill
01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
What it really boils down to is this: You want to take a 5 day DCL or 7 day RCCL? You pick whichever fits your schedule the best and hope the weather cooperates, because: YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE FUN!!!!!

Tom

This is the best piece of advice that I've seen and in the end the OP is the one that has to make the choice and make the most of THEIR vacation time.

thej
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM

It's been 5.5 years, but as I recall these are the things we paid for that I didn't expect having been on DCL prior:

* You had to pay for something to drink any time you were thirsty and weren't at a meal. I also feel like they charged for soda on every occasion they possibly could. A steady stream of people were going in and out of the buffet from the pool just to avoid having to pay for drinks.

* We had to pay for Johnny Rockets. I mean really? I'm OK with upscale dining charging a small cover, but burgers-n-fries and a song was a bit too much to ask.

* Cabin service was not "free." On our cruise at least they computed a service charge on what they delivered. I recall paying almost $6 as a "gratuity" on pastries & coffee one morning. While I might have tipped the guy a $5 since it arrived indecently quickly, I would have liked the choice. I think this might have been a test though as I've never heard anybody else mention this practice.

* They were always pushing stuff on us. By the end of the trip we felt like pretty much every activity had them pushing you to buy something or had some associated cost. Even relaxing out by the pool they pushed drinks on you on a regular basis.

* There was a meet-n-greet with the Captain and one of the other officers, which was really a book signing for the Captain's biography, and they kept harping on "get your copy and have it signed."

While there are only a few extra cost items on RC, it feels like there are so many because a few (like soda) keep hitting you over and over and they pushed so many $$ related activities. If they toned down the sales pitches some (a lot!) it would go a LONG way toward easing the "nickel-and-dime to death" feeling we got.

We also had issues with the kid's programs, but that's an unrelated post for another thread/forum.

Edd
01-19-2011, 11:05 AM
That is what I thought.

5lilfish
01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
That is what I thought.

Are you saying that you finally see why people feel the way they do about the extra charges?

-soda
-childcare after 10pm or during meal times
-Johnny Rockets and Ben and Jerry's
-towel deposit
- charge to use a vest on Labadee
-charges to use the aqua park on Labadee

Jess

5lilfish
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
That is what I thought.

On a more serious note, because I know you have not seen the light...

People have given their reasons for feeling nickled and dimed. This is the exact type of post that makes people get annoyed with you. They gave their reasons. It's not that you disagree...that's not the problem. It is that you completely ignore what they say and choose to just declare their opinion to be wrong. They are not wrong...they are opinions and it is ok that they do not share the same ones as you. Believe it or not, people can see things differently than you do....and not be wrong for doing it.

Jess

dursin
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
On a more serious note, because I know you have not seen the light...

People have given their reasons for feeling nickled and dimed. This is the exact type of post that makes people get annoyed with you. They gave their reasons. It's not that you disagree...that's not the problem. It is that you completely ignore what they say and choose to just declare their opinion to be wrong. They are not wrong...they are opinions and it is ok that they do not share the same ones as you. Believe it or not, people can see things differently than you do....and not be wrong for doing it.

Jess
Some of these things aren't even really opinions. It is a fact, not an opinion, that RCCL has far more additional charges they hit you with...or attempt to hit you with than DCL does.

Edd
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
That is not just what I thought it is a laugh at what some people think. No, I don't agree with any of it. I certainly wouldn't base a decision to cruise on a particular cruise line on those factors.

dursin
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
That is not just what I thought it is a laugh at what some people think. No, I don't agree with any of it. I certainly wouldn't base a decision to cruise on a particular cruise line on those factors.
You wouldn't, however many would...and there is nothing wrong with them doing so. Some people like to relax and enjoy their vacations without being nickeled and dimed at every opportunity. You're obviously ok with that and that's fine.

Edd
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
When I buy the money clips on the boats I cruise on, DCL, RCI and CC, I am going to think of "nickled and dime" and than snicker to myself.

KSDisneyDad
01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

This is an unfortunate post for me. A while back, you had posted some things that I completely disagreed with and my first reaction was to attack. Instead, I have attempted to give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your opinions even if I don't agree with them. Now, I'm not so sure that I can do that when you state that someone else's opinion is "laugh"able.

I know that you're probably frustrated with those whose opinions differ from yours and for a long time, you did a great job of keeping your posts away from personal attacks. I hope that we can revert back to posts where those who disagree will simply post an alternative opinion or experience rather than resorting to attacking, downplaying, minimizing or even namecalling. And yes, I understand it is a two-way street.

What started out as a good question from the OP will probably once again resort in another closed thread. :confused3

Luvstocruise
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
While I am strongly opinionated, I realize there are many people on this forum that are absolutely crazy about Disney, and to them, everything is good value for the most part. While I don't agree with some of the over the top blind love of any cruise line, if that is what makes them and their family happy, so be it.

The boards have provided me with some very good insight into what to expect, and maybe to also stand back and make my own decisions about what I will see. It is very apparent to me that what is important to one individual, may not be an important feature of the cruise. Just go over to the other forums, and you will see that some people are happy with RCL, etc. while others complain about the things that DIS'ers complain about. It's all relative.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

5lilfish
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM

You wouldn't, however many would...and there is nothing wrong with them doing so. Some people like to relax and enjoy their vacations without being nickeled and dimed at every opportunity. You're obviously ok with that and that's fine.

Exactly. Maybe it's not a big deal to you. That does not mean it is laughable that it is a big deal to others.

For my family of 7...adding up soda for 7, aquapark for 7, child care for 5 kids, vest for 3 kids, keeping track of 7 towels, etc can become a big deal. Maybe one of those things wouldn't matter....all of them together, for a family of 7, can add up to a lot of money. Then throw in 5 kids that have to pass by Ben and Jerry's everyday (we only get it once or twice a cruise but that's still about $50) and 5 kids that hear how great Johnny Rockets is and want to go with their clubs...that adds up too. Now, we're lucky enough to be able to afford cruising and we can afford the extras (so, usually, these do not factor heavily into our decision on which line to cruise). Take a family that saves to do this as their once in a lifetime vacation...they might want/need to know about these costs. Maybe it will make a difference in their choices. We recently took some family members on a cruise (our treat). One reason we picked DCL was because we knew it was the most all-inclusive. We did not want them to be hit up with any unexpected costs or be pressured by their kids to spend extra on ice cream, burgers, late nights in the club, etc. For them, those extra costs would have been a big deal.

I think it is very narrow-minded to laugh at the idea that someone else might take these factors into consideration when choosing a vacation.

Jess

denas
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Ok...

Clearly I am iin a minority on towel deposits....

We are looking to go cruise this fall without kids and I was researching some lines - Carnival, RCCL, NCL. I read about the towel fees and thought "thank goodness". I HATE when people get up, grab 5 towels and reserve their seats. If you are responsible for your towel - suddenly it is too valuable to become a 2 hour seat holder reserving prime chairs by the pool whille you go Margaritta tasting and to an art auction. So, I am GLAD other lines hve implemented a deposit on towels becaue it means less chair reserving. In fact, some of the reviews on other cruiselines specifically note that chairs seem to be available because people don't use a bunch of towels to reserve seats when they are not present.

I usually bring 2 towels for my family that are in my bag. Kids use the towels to dry off when they get out of the pool. It doesn't occur to me to ever leave towels lying around so I don't see it as an issue that someone would "take" my towels. THis is how we go to the pools and beach at home so it doesn't seem all that different on a cruise line. I personally don't allow my kids to hog up a bunch of chairs to hold their stuff when they are just dropping it off to run into the pool.

dursin
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok...

We are looking to go cruise this fall without kids and I was researching some lines - Carnival, RCCL, NCL. I read about the towel fees and thought "thank goodness". I HATE when people get up, grab 5 towels and reserve their seats. If you are responsible for your towel - suddenly it is too valuable to become a 2 hour seat holder reserving prime chairs by the pool whille you go Margaritta tasting and to an art auction. So, I am GLAD other lines hve implemented a deposit on towels becaue it means less chair reserving. In fact, some of the reviews on other cruiselines specifically note that chairs seem to be available because people don't use a bunch of towels to reserve seats when they are not present.
Won't people just use the towels the bring from their room to 'reserve seats'??

denas
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Won't people just use the towels the bring from their room to 'reserve seats'??

Who knows??? When I cruised RCCL/RCI/Royal Carribean last time, they didn't have different towels. For our upcoming cruise, I decided to go with NCL who has a policy of providing a set number of pool towels in your cabin that you bring with you to the pool. You can exchange for dry towels at the pool or your steward will bring dry towels, however, if the same nuimber of towels that you were given at the start of your cruise are not in your room at the end of your cruise, you will be charged. It actually isn't that different from robes or bath towels going missing and being charged at the end.

This is actually a pretty common policy at the beach club we go to, some of the Marriott Vacation Clubs we have been to, and a pretty upscale hotel we stayed at in Hawaii last time. I don't really have a probelm with it!! AGain, I can't stand showing up somewhere and seeing clearly posted signs regarding chair reserving, a pool with about 25 people in it, and yet the 100 chairs around the pool are all covered in towels and there is no place to sit. Drives me completely batty....

But I'll report back if it becomes a problem after my cruise:)

5lilfish
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok...

I usually bring 2 towels for my family that are in my bag. Kids use the towels to dry off when they get out of the pool. It doesn't occur to me to ever leave towels lying around so I don't see it as an issue that someone would "take" my towels. THis is how we go to the pools and beach at home so it doesn't seem all that different on a cruise line. I personally don't allow my kids to hog up a bunch of chairs to hold their stuff when they are just dropping it off to run into the pool.

Unfortunately, from experience...it did not stop people from chair hogging. Whether they have a towels or not (and plenty of people did....both room towels and deposit towels), people still had sandles, cover-ups, books, sunscreen, etc.

Jess

denas
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, from experience...it did not stop people from chair hogging. Whether they have a towels or not (and plenty of people did....both room towels and deposit towels), people still had sandles, cover-ups, books, sunscreen, etc.

Jess

sigh.... I was so hopeful....:sad1:

dursin
01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
sigh.... I was so hopeful....:sad1:
If we can reasonably ensure that the towels don't actually belong to someone who is physically in the area, we wait 10-15 minutes and then just remove the towels or whatever they were using to save the chairs. If someone shows up a relatively short time after that, we'll move...otherwise they're SOL.

lovethedream
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
While I am strongly opinionated, I realize there are many people on this forum that are absolutely crazy about Disney, and to them, everything is good value for the most part. While I don't agree with some of the over the top blind love of any cruise line, if that is what makes them and their family happy, so be it.

The boards have provided me with some very good insight into what to expect, and maybe to also stand back and make my own decisions about what I will see. It is very apparent to me that what is important to one individual, may not be an important feature of the cruise. Just go over to the other forums, and you will see that some people are happy with RCL, etc. while others complain about the things that DIS'ers complain about. It's all relative.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

Good post. I completely agree. I really do not get into the cost part of the cruise, but to make my example here. If we spent 4000 on a dcl cruise that we loved, or spent 3000 on a rcl cruise that we thought was just ok, that extra 1000 dollars is not even a consideration when making the decision. But for some here that like either line equally, that 1000 dollars is pretty high on the list. Something very small that DCL does, announce your name when you board, meant a lot to us. We really liked it and it helped set the tone for the cruise. The simple "welcome aboard" we got from RCCL, while not bad, was a bit disappointing. But for others here, it means nothing.

(I am not downplaying the 1000 dollars here. It is a lot of money. But when we book the cruise, I do not go to the other websites and sulk over the fact that it is 1000 cheaper. I just accept the fact that the cost is what it is and go from there)

As far as being crazy about Disney. I will admit I am one of those. But that is just because I really enjoyed the cruise. We had a lot of fun. We are going Carnival and actually sailing RCCL again this year. RCCL is a compromise with friends, but I am not anywhere near as excited about either of those two cruises and I am concerning our up coming DCL cruise. We are in the planning stages for it and just trying to decide on when and where at this point. For those that love RCCL, more power to ya! For those that love DCL, more power to ya!

Sail on!

Evan&Kimberly
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I am a Disney cruise line lover and I also like RCCL, just did the Freedom and I had a good time wasn’t impressed with the food, Disney is better. I do like both cruise lines. On March 27th 2011 Freedom of the Seas will have the DreamWorks characters. So what I have decided to do, in order to get the best of both worlds for me and my 5yr old son is to do the RCCL for the 7 day itineraries and Disney for the shorter itineraries, RCCL is cheaper for me and my son and they have great itineraries. RCCL’s private island Labadee Haiti is pure paradise. I will sail on the Freedom western Caribbean in May and then do the Dream in September. I would recommend the Freedom Class or the Oasis class for families that have older children since they have the rock climbing, ice skating, and flow rider, whichever cruise you choose you won’t go wrong!

Edd
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
What some may not understand is that not all the towels on the pool deck on the RCI are towels you pay a deposit on. They have some extra big, fluffier towels that you pay the deposit on. The regular towels sit in a bin off to the side and you can use them all you want. They are just normal towels which I don't think are even as high quality as the ones in the room. Either use them or the ones from the room and you won't have to come up with a deposit. I never use the towels with the deposit on them because the ones on the pool deck are good enough.

Luvstocruise
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Lovethedream,
Sure I can see you point. The mood, the perception of having a great time, and then realizing you had a great time is a very powerful reinforcer.

While I "Love to cruise"; I would do it way more often, my wife doesn't think cruising is the end and be all. She would rather go to Europe and sightsee. What is getting my anticipation up for the DCL cruise we are going on is:

-1st time on Disney-to see what it is like
-1st time we have cruised with friends, and first time with our son.
-I'm the stay at home dad, so I am actually looking forward to "no cooking" on my holiday-also the "no brainer" of a cruise- it is relaxing.
-Actually having planned this way way more than the first two cruises I did with my wife-the 1st to were nice, but not over the top (Costa was better and NCL was sort of "blah"). In fact, I think from what I have heard I would take Carnival and RCL over NCL anyday. To each their own.

I think having friends along could be the icing on the cake. Also, I am looking forward to seeing my son have a lot of fun.

With family members that have done NCL, Carnival and RCCL, they all thought their cruises were great, but due to their allergies to children would not set foot on a Disney Ship. I on the other hand am much more open. While others that have posted such as Edd, I have seen posts on other forums that point to "deficiencies" on RCL and Carnival that I would rather avoid.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

lovethedream
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM

:confused3. I respect everybody's OPINION here. Whether I think they are right or wrong, it's still just that, an opinion, and they have every right to express it!

lovethedream
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
What some may not understand is that not all the towels on the pool deck on the RCI are towels you pay a deposit on. They have some extra big, fluffier towels that you pay the deposit on. The regular towels sit in a bin off to the side and you can use them all you want. They are just normal towels which I don't think are even as high quality as the ones in the room. Either use them or the ones from the room and you won't have to come up with a deposit. I never use the towels with the deposit on them because the ones on the pool deck are good enough.

Still ,the question remains. Why have to pay a deposit at all?

5lilfish
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM

On the 5 RCI cruises that I have been on, there have never been towels in a bin on the pool deck.

Jess

Twinparents
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Wow, I was gone for a few days and there has been alot of activity on this post. I just want to add a couple of other charges that haven't been mentioned.

DCL always offers cooking classes at no cost. On RCL my recollection is that the cheapest adult class was $49 per person and the ranged up to $89 depending on the class. I did not pay for a class so I cannot tell you how they were. I am the one who told you about the $25 decorating cookies for my daughter. At Disney they bake chocolate chip cookies in the lab and it is one of my daughters favorite things. RCL offered a "baking" class for $45 for kids.

Alot of the kids crafts on RCL also came with a charge. For example you could paint a picture frame for $15. On Disney you can make a picture frame with your picture in it at the kids club for free. I don't know about the quality of the frame on RCL because it wasn't worth the money to us.

I did feel like RCL was always pushing something. Drinks were constantly pushed but in addition, they tried to sell "lottery" type tickets at the beginning of most shows, they have a mini "build a bear" that they sell for $25 without the clothes and then clothes are extra. They always had something to sell like watches or sweatshirts out in the middle of the walk ways. I realize that people spend alot of money in the DCL gift shops but I feel like the quality of those items is much better.

Another thing is Disney provides everyone with a lanyard to hold their key to the world card. On RCL you had to pay $6 if you wanted your child to have a lanyard to keep their card in.

One other thing that is extremely important to us is self serve laundry! On Disney you have access to a laundry room and yes it costs $2 to wash and $2 to dry a load but on RCL it was $3 to wash one pair of shorts. They have no self serve laundry and their laundry service was pretty expensive. We were not prepared for this so I am positive my kids wore some dirty clothes that on DCL I would have washed.

My husband said that on RCL they charged for certain exercise classes like pilates but on DCL they do not.

Those are the items that I think I take for granted on DCL that I was not prepared for when boarding RCL.

kaykels
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Oasis of the Seas was the most incredible cruise experience I have ever had. I have done 7 Disney cruises and from the time I boarded Oasis until I got off I couldn't stop saying, OMG, OMG, OMG this is amazing !
They both have their charms. But I liked the rock wall, aqua theater, free face painting and balloon animals on the boardwalk, flow riders, mini golf, ice skating, etc. etc. etc. I never felt the need for xtra pay restaurants. The food was great and I was always more than full !
I'm doing Allure in May. Can't wait !

Vegaslover
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
My family loves DCL. We are actually considering doing a Carnival or RCCL cruise over the Fantasy for 2012. We are not crazy about the itinerary for Fantasy and personally I am over the shows on Disney. My DH and I sailed Carnival before and it was fun. I remember the food on Carnival being better than DCL. Based on reviews of the kids clubs, I think DD will really enjoy it.

but, this is about you, not me. if you have never sailed Disney, do it! I always thought I would be bombarded by too much Disney, but once I experienced it, it turns out its not gaudy or distasteful at all. Disney is very classy and honestly it will just bring out the kid in you!

thej
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM

You might not, but some of us will. The push to spend extra $$ on the ship got annoying enough to all of us that it reduced our ability to enjoy the trip. That's what bothered me the most. There are plenty of people this obviously doesn't bother since RC seems to fill ships pretty well.

To be perfectly honest, I could care less about some of the things that Disney offers on their ships (Characters, Aqua-duck, etc). We chose DCL for our next cruise simply because of 5 or so cruises DW and I have been on between us, the best total experience was on DCL.

christinou
01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
It is fascinating, how we all have different perceptions, we started cruising on DCL and loved it, we thought that it was the best cruise experience, and that nothing would compare.
As my kids got older I started looking at other lines, and decided to try RCCL Freedom of the sea. I was so nervous on our fist cruise, as I thought that we would not like it as much. We bought the girls a soda pass as I did not want them to compare the ship, and say on Disney I could get rink for free, they loved it, as they could get drinks everywhere they wanted, and not just in the restaurants or on the pool deck, they loved having drinks in the theatre.
They do loike Ben and Jerry and have it a couple of times as a treat, but they get a free ice cream on the pool deck at leat twice a day.
They love the flow rider, and climbing wall, as well as the mini golf and ice skating.

I honestly never felt nickel and dimed on a RCL ship. You do have a give a deposti for towels, and that was not a big deal, I would check out 4 towels the first day, you could exchange them any time for clean towels, and you turn them back in the last day.

I think we all need to see what works best for your family, with the age of my children RCCL is better for us now.

dursin
01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
It is fascinating, how we all have different perceptions, we started cruising on DCL and loved it, we thought that it was the best cruise experience, and that nothing would compare.
As my kids got older I started looking at other lines, and decided to try RCCL Freedom of the sea. I was so nervous on our fist cruise, as I thought that we would not like it as much. We bought the girls a soda pass as I did not want them to compare the ship, and say on Disney I could get rink for free, they loved it, as they could get drinks everywhere they wanted, and not just in the restaurants or on the pool deck, they loved having drinks in the theatre.
They do loike Ben and Jerry and have it a couple of times as a treat, but they get a free ice cream on the pool deck at leat twice a day.
They love the flow rider, and climbing wall, as well as the mini golf and ice skating.

I honestly never felt nickel and dimed on a RCL ship. You do have a give a deposti for towels, and that was not a big deal, I would check out 4 towels the first day, you could exchange them any time for clean towels, and you turn them back in the last day.

I think we all need to see what works best for your family, with the age of my children RCCL is better for us now.
We've been considering giving either the Freedom or the Carnival Dream a chance after our upcoming Disney Dream cruise. Youngest boy likes the idea of the water park on the Carnival ship, but our most recent non-DCL trip was on Carnival and we were very underwhelmed with the whole experience. Plus I don't like that Carnival seems to be blatantly copying the names of DCL ships. Yes, I know the Carnival Dream came first, but it was pretty much a given that would be the name of the next new DCL ship. :)

How were the evening shows on the Freedom? Our typical evening on a DCL ship involves having dinner together as a family, followed by a show and then the kids go off to their 'clubs' and we go find some adult entertainment to enjoy.

5lilfish
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
We've been considering giving either the Freedom or the Carnival Dream a chance after our upcoming Disney Dream cruise. Youngest boy likes the idea of the water park on the Carnival ship, but our most recent non-DCL trip was on Carnival and we were very underwhelmed with the whole experience. Plus I don't like that Carnival seems to be blatantly copying the names of DCL ships. Yes, I know the Carnival Dream came first, but it was pretty much a given that would be the name of the next new DCL ship. :)

How were the evening shows on the Freedom? Our typical evening on a DCL ship involves having dinner together as a family, followed by a show and then the kids go off to their 'clubs' and we go find some adult entertainment to enjoy.

We did not find the shows on RCI (Explorer, Independence, Liberty and Oasis) to be family friendly. The costumes were too revealing and the singing/dancing was boring for the kids. The comedy was definitely adult. The ice show was great...and the Aquatheater show on the Oasis was too.

We did love the Oasis of the Seas and the Freedom class ships were great too....especially for our oldest 3 kids (tweens/teen). The Oasis had more for our 3 yr olds, but still not nearly as nice for that age group as Disney.

Jess

christinou
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM

We did not find the shows to always be great, the ice show was terrific, the other shows not always the best, but there was so much to do on the ship that it did not bother us.

PrincessTrisha
01-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Ummm, then why is DCL naming their next ship "Fantasy" when Carnival has had the Carnival Fantasy for many years now? The Carnival Dream name was decided before the Disney Dream (so who's copying who?).

After the Carnival Magic this year (the only name you could say that Carnival "took" from Disney), Carnival's next ship is the Carnival Breeze (if they were truly "copying" DCL ship names, wouldn't it be the Carnival Wonder?)

dursin
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Ummm, then why is DCL naming their next ship "Fantasy" when Carnival has had the Carnival Fantasy for many years now? The Carnival Dream name was decided before the Disney Dream (so who's copying who?).

After the Carnival Magic this year (the only name you could say that Carnival "took" from Disney), Carnival's next ship is the Carnival Breeze (if they were truly "copying" DCL ship names, wouldn't it be the Carnival Wonder?)
Regardless of whether the Carnival Dream name was decided prior to the Disney Dream, it's been obvious for about a decade that that would be the #1 choice for a name for the next Disney ship.

bauer2410
02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
This was the problem our family was having too and we decided on Disney and we don't regret it one bit! I know you have a longer crusie but the quality is what makes it. I would suggest Disney.

Edd
02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
You wouldn't have regretted it if you chose the longer RCI cruise either. Two extra days of vacation should be the determining factor. Both are great cruises. Cruising on whatever ship you go on is just a fun, relaxing vacation. If you did cruise on an RCI ship you might have found out there is much more to do than on a "Disney" ship.

lovethedream
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
You wouldn't have regretted it if you chose the longer RCI cruise either. Two extra days of vacation should be the determining factor. Both are great cruises. Cruising on whatever ship you go on is just a fun, relaxing vacation. If you did cruise on an RCI ship you might have found out there is much more to do than on a "Disney" ship.

For what we like to do on a cruise, we did not find that this was the case. We felt we had more to do on DCL than on the RCCL Freedom.

Edd
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
That is a laugh. I am sorry you didn't enjoy the rock wall, the flow-rider, the ice skating rink, the 80's dancing party in the promenade, the circus parade in the promenade, the casino, the excellent allusionist on board the Freedom, the headliner show for that week, the well produced production shows, the excellent kids club, the full basketball court with dodge ball and soccer featured along with organized basketball games, the 1/2 mile zip line at Labadee, the childs pool area H2O and the ability for your child to walk around without bumping into other kids, the large modern work-out room, the adult pool area with whirlpools twice as big as the one on the two DCL small ships, the huge shopping area as long as a football field with free pizza, pudding, sandwiches and coffee at Sorrentos, the movie theatre, the ice skating show and of course Johnny Rockets, Portofino and Chops the three pay restaurants. That doesn't even count the different ports you can go while cruising the Freedom.

I am sure you had fun playing with the Disney characters and watching the great Micky Mouse shows in the theatre, shopping for the Disney merchandise in the two shops they have, watching the Disney movies in their beautiful movie theatre and trying to find a seat in the pool area during a sea day. I have been to Nassau many times and it is really dirty so I wonder why DCL keeps it on the agenda for its 3 and 4 day cruise of the Wonder and now their new ship the Dream?

lovethedream
02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
That is a laugh. I am sorry you didn't enjoy the rock wall, the flow-rider, the ice skating rink, the 80's dancing party in the promenade, the circus parade in the promenade, the casino, the excellent allusionist on board the Freedom, the headliner show for that week, the well produced production shows, the excellent kids club, the full basketball court with dodge ball and soccer featured along with organized basketball games, the 1/2 mile zip line at Labadee, the childs pool area H2O and the ability for your child to walk around without bumping into other kids, the large modern work-out room, the adult pool area with whirlpools twice as big as the one on the two DCL small ships, the huge shopping area as long as a football field with free pizza, pudding, sandwiches and coffee at Sorrentos, the movie theatre, the ice skating show and of course Johnny Rockets, Portofino and Chops the three pay restaurants. That doesn't even count the different ports you can go while cruising the Freedom.

I am sure you had fun playing with the Disney characters and watching the great Micky Mouse shows in the theatre, shopping for the Disney merchandise in the two shops they have, watching the Disney movies in their beautiful movie theatre and trying to find a seat in the pool area during a sea day. I have been to Nassau many times and it is really dirty so I wonder why DCL keeps it on the agenda for its 3 and 4 day cruise of the Wonder and now their new ship the Dream?

How is this a laugh? I said for what we like to do on a cruise, we found more to do on DCL than on the Freedom. You have sailed on other ships than the Freedom and said you enjoyed those just as much, If I remember, they had far less to do too.

As a matter of fact, I am finding, from experience on three different cruise lines now, that we seem to prefer the smaller ships over the larger ships.

Mickeyhugger
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Here you go again Edd :stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir:

Who's your Mickey?
02-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Freedom is due for a drydock in April. All RCI will say is it's a general maintenance and enhancement drydock. If Liberty's recent drydock is the template, they'll add a cupcake cupboard and a poolside jumbotron to go along with their "Dreamworks Experience".

I've been on several RCI cruises and there's plenty to do for all age groups.

NancyIL
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Freedom is due for a drydock in April. All RCI will say is it's a general maintenance and enhancement drydock. If Liberty's recent drydock is the template, they'll add a cupcake cupboard and a poolside jumbotron to go along with their "Dreamworks Experience".

I've been on several RCI cruises and there's plenty to do for all age groups.

There is no cruise on Freedom of the Seas the week of March 20th, and I think that is the week of its dry dock. (There is a sailing every week in April.) The ship begins hosting the Dream Works characters on the March 27th cruise.

Who's your Mickey?
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
There is no cruise on Freedom of the Seas the week of March 20th, and I think that is the week of its dry dock. (There is a sailing every week in April.) The ship begins hosting the Dream Works characters on the March 27th cruise.

That makes sense. RCI's maintenance drydocks only last 7 days and will probably be done in Freeport. Liberty's enhancements were minimal, so it would probably be similar for Freedom.

jilljill
02-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Really....you had to actually laugh at someone else's point of view. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no need to put their post down because they stated "For what we like to do on a cruise...". Not everyone wants or likes to do the same things you do, please do not ridicule their posts when their likes/dislikes differ from your's.

delo4
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Was this post really necessary? :confused3:confused3:confused3

lbuher
02-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Really....you had to actually laugh at someone else's point of view. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no need to put their post down because they stated "For what we like to do on a cruise...". Not everyone wants or likes to do the same things you do, please do not ridicule their posts when their likes/dislikes differ from your's.

Could we PLEASE make this a standard to reply to pretty much all of Edd's posts???