PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Family Cruise

Siouzee
01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could get your opinions and suggestions. I am thinking about planning a Disney Cruise for this May and have two children ages 5 and 2. None of us have ever been on a cruise and I am curious if there will be enough to do keep everyone happy. Most importantly the 2 year old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

lmhall2000
01-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could get your opinions and suggestions. I am thinking about planning a Disney Cruise for this May and have two children ages 5 and 2. None of us have ever been on a cruise and I am curious if there will be enough to do keep everyone happy. Most importantly the 2 year old.

I can't say much about the 2 year old, our first cruise was just last May and our children were 10-14...however, on our cruise we saw a good number of two year olds and they seemed to be enjoying themselves! I know your five year old would love love it...we never considered them in the past due to pricing, but now that Disney has offered kids sail free two years in a row, it's our vacation of choice...we love the convenience and the kids have a blast...
Also, typically May cruises are not too packed...and the places you're visiting will not be as crowded either..so that's a plus for going when you're planning!
Hope this helps!
Tara

NJBILL
01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

you will have more to do than you can imagine. my kids loved disney cruises. highly recommend disney cruise. character interaction is great and kids clubs are the best i have encountered giving mom and dad free time too...

nemofans
01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
We are going on our 1st disney cruise next month & we also have a 5 & 2 yr old. I am not worried at all about them having fun. I have seen the activities on the navigators & I am more worried about fitting in down time.

Siouzee
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your replies. Kids sail free, huh? Didn't see that offered when I was pricing it! Need to get that option! :)

I am considering booking two rooms and would like to know how to assure I get one with a connecting door? Any suggestions?

Also any other dos and don'ts for a newbie?

I am 38 and have never even been to Disney so I think I am more excited than anyone else in my family about this!

tjbole71
01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for your replies. Kids sail free, huh? Didn't see that offered when I was pricing it! Need to get that option! :)

I am considering booking two rooms and would like to know how to assure I get one with a connecting door? Any suggestions?

Also any other dos and don'ts for a newbie?

I am 38 and have never even been to Disney so I think I am more excited than anyone else in my family about this!

I took my daughter on her first cruise when she was 3. She absolutely loved the children's programming. She loved it so much, in fact, she would cry when I went to take her out. I loved the pager and security in place to keep her safe.

However, with your child being 2, I am not sure she can participate in the kids club, unless they have changed the rules. Usually, they have to be 3 and potty trained to participate in the kids club. The 2 year old can be checked into the nursery, but you have to pay by the hour for that service. The 5 year old's kids club participation would be included in the price of the cruise.

The only way to *guarantee* connecting rooms is to choose your rooms when you book your cruise. I have never heard of a case or experienced myself choosing a particular room and getting bumped.

Hope this information helps.

aseyrick
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
We took our barely 3-yo son on our 1st Disney cruise this past Nov and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! Our son couldn't be more entertained nor happier. Our son, too, had cried when we're trying to get him out of the club. He STILL talks about going back on the Mickey Mouse Cruise Ship!

RE: the club for 2 yo. It's all based on potty training. If your 2 yo is potty trained, they'll let him do a "trial run" to see if he is potty trained. If not, you are definitely welcomed to stay and play with him in the Club. If you're looking for some alone time sans kids, you can always sign him up for the nursery, but be sure to book that early as it does fill up quickly.

BTW - the great thing about going in May is the weather is generally nice and warm, so you'll be able to disembark and enjoy the ports or stay on the ship and splash at the pool. Your young ones will NOT lack for entertainment.

As for the adults, it does depend on what you're looking for. I've heard mixed reviews. My hubby and I enjoy working out, going for walks and laying out by the pool and are early birds (to bed and rise), so we didn't need much to keep us happy. If you're looking for constant adult entertainment, you may want to check a recent Navigator which shows all the activities available and decide for yourself.

But, all in all, we had a fantastic time and couldn't be happier with our decision to go. In fact, we're booked for this November already if that tells you anything. :)

Good luck ... and have fun on your cruise if you do go!