PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain - MK vs. DL

ffugitive
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm basically a WDW vet and roller coaster fanatic / afficonado. Having ridden Space Mountain at MK dozens of times, I was looking forward to trying its DL counterpart, but I had NO IDEA what I was about to experience. What an unbelievable coaster, bearing very little resemblance to the MK ride bearing the same name and shell. Full symphony actually written to the twists and turns of the incredibly long, well-designed and ultra-smooth coaster, blaring through a premium sound system and coming to an incredible peak. I just needed to post something, as I was truly blown away. If you have not experienced it and you are a coaster fan, make it happen.

PS - I know this may be more of a DL post, but I really want it to stay in this forum as this is the forum I frequent and never knew about this.

lovealatte
01-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I was just going to post how much better DL's version is. :goodvibes Isn't it the best thing ever?? I especially love the soundtrack.

denecarter
01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
DL Space Mountain and their Indy ride are definitely high on my all-time favorites list! :thumbsup2

lovealatte
01-15-2011, 09:59 AM
The Indy ride is possibly my favorite Disney ride.. it has the best effects :thumbsup2

dvc_john
01-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I was in DL in September, but unfortunately Space Mountain was down at the time. I do remember that the Space Mountains in Paris and Hong Kong had corkscrews/loops in them.

cigar95
01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Space Mt at WDW is more like the Matterhorn at DL, just in terms of the type of train, including the single-file seating. I think the larger cars at DL are part of the reason the ride is so much smoother there.

Goodness, I'm sitting here in my office, half a mile from DL and I haven't been in the park in five years. (Meanwhile, headed to WDW yet again next week.)

hookedonears
01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Space Mt at WDW is more like the Matterhorn at DL, just in terms of the type of train, including the single-file seating. I think the larger cars at DL are part of the reason the ride is so much smoother there.

Goodness, I'm sitting here in my office, half a mile from DL and I haven't been in the park in five years. (Meanwhile, headed to WDW yet again next week.)

Kind of, but I don't think the Matterhorn is a good comparison. I will say that SM at Disneyland is much better than the one at WDW.

Horizons16
01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Matterhorn might not be the best comparison but oh man that is a blast to ride.

bumbershoot
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Goodness, I'm sitting here in my office, half a mile from DL and I haven't been in the park in five years.

Why on earth not? Get over there!

DL's version is so much nicer. After WDW's I felt like someone had punched me repeatedly where the lapbar hit my abdomen.

Strangely, my 6 year old was incredibly excited to ride, LOVED it, and he's never even been willing to step foot in the building for, let alone ride, DL's Space!

LilRonGal
01-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Although Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain is super fun, I must admit that the one at Disneyland WINS WINS WINS.

DebbieB
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
DL's Space Mt is awesome! Not only smoother but the way the stars float around you and you don't see the track. Plus the music.

Lori S.
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Wow! It's been so long since we went to dl I don't even remember sm, (we were there in 2000) I loved the Matterhorn though! I hate that dw doesn't have it, and Indy is almost worth a cross country trip. It was amazing. We live in Alabama so dw makes so much more since, but I really want to revisit dl someday. Something about being in the park walt himself was in is very special.

ninecrayons
01-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Went to DLR this summer and could not believe how much better their Space Mountain was. (Man, now I'm jonesing to ride it!) It's such a smooth experience an almost feels more "ride-like" because you get absorbed into the darkness and sound.

We also got to ride at the front of the car and it was TERRIFING :scared1: because you literarily cannot see the track. That first drop felt like tipping off into dead air!

ninecrayons
01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Went to DLR this summer and could not believe how much better their Space Mountain was. (Man, now I'm jonesing to ride it!) It's such a smooth experience an almost feels more "ride-like" because you get absorbed into the darkness and sound.

We also got to ride at the front of the car and it was TERRIFING :scared1: because you literarily cannot see the track. That first drop felt like tipping off into dead air!