PDA

View Full Version : Best hotel if coming in the night before?

Delgnat
01-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Thinking about changing our flights so we come into Orlando the night before giving us a little more wiggle room in the morning. I know I read posts about this but never paid attention and now I can't find anything. What is the best thing to do...fly to Orlando, stay there? Or drive to something closer to Port? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

RedSox68
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I've read there are good options for both. I know there are some great hotels near the port, but that would require you either taking a taxi or renting a car. However, I will let someone answer that part of it since we have never done it.

We have stayed at the Orlando Hyatt inside the airport. And if you tell them when you book that you are taking a Disney cruise the next day, they hand you a whole packet of info upon check in telling you when to put your bags outside the room, when to meet in the lobby, etc. DCL reps come right to the hotel, and refreshments/pastries were provided. You get assigned a bus (chip, dale, mickey, pluto, etc.). They will call your bus name and follow the leader out through the the doors to the waiting Disney buses. Your luggage is taken separately and put into your staterooms as usual. We loved the convenience of walking off the plane and right to a hotel room. And believe it or not, we never once heard a plane fly overhead or any outside noises.

HallsofVA
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
There are lots of options, and it depends on a) how you plan to get to the port, b) when you plan on arriving the night before, and c) what your definition of "best" is relative to.

There are a lot of hotels near the airport that offer free shuttles to/from the hotel and MCO. We usually use Priceline to get a hotel 2.5* or 3* the night before for a low rate. Staying near the airport works well if you are arriving late and don't want to drive all the way to the port (45 minutes) that night, or if you are planning on using DCL transportation from MCO to the port. We've only stayed at the Marriott near the airport or Hyatt at the airport since we went with the 3* option on Priceline. kcashner always recommends the 2.5* hotels since they offer free breakfast usually. You can take the hotel's shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then back to MCO in the morning to catch the DCL transportation. We've either rented a car or booked private transport from the hotel to the port, since it's cheaper than DCL transport for a large family or group.

If you are flying in and arrive early enough to get to the port at a reasonable time before bed, then you may consider booking a port hotel. Priceline is also an option there, but there is no way to select a specific hotel in advance through them. Some hotels offer a shuttle to the port in the morning. The port option works well if you're coming in early, or driving in, or plan to take private transportation to the port or rent a car. May give you the chance to see some of the Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral area depending on how early you arrive.

biff423
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
We stayed at the Orlando Airport Country Inn and Suites and took a limo to the port the next day. Coming back we stayed at the LaQuinta. Both were decent hotels and both are located near some dining for convenience. We book both using Hotwire and got great deals. Both had aiport shuttles and complimentary breakfast.

The Hyatt in the airport is nice but spendy. We had originally planned to do that by decided to save our $ in the end.

The limo to and from the port was super convenient. Although timing the pickup when we got off the boat was difficult - we had a little wait because we debarked much faster than we planned.

Good luck - and there is lots of info on the Dis board - just do a search to pinpoint the info.

RedSox68
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
The Hyatt in the airport is nice but spendy. We had originally planned to do that by decided to save our $ in the end.

It's been a few years, so don't know their current prices, but we booked with a AAA discount and saved a lot.

JLK2001
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I've read there are good options for both. I know there are some great hotels near the port, but that would require you either taking a taxi or renting a car. However, I will let someone answer that part of it since we have never done it.

We have stayed at the Orlando Hyatt inside the airport. And if you tell them when you book that you are taking a Disney cruise the next day, they hand you a whole packet of info upon check in telling you when to put your bags outside the room, when to meet in the lobby, etc. DCL reps come right to the hotel, and refreshments/pastries were provided. You get assigned a bus (chip, dale, mickey, pluto, etc.). They will call your bus name and follow the leader out through the the doors to the waiting Disney buses. Your luggage is taken separately and put into your staterooms as usual. We loved the convenience of walking off the plane and right to a hotel room. And believe it or not, we never once heard a plane fly overhead or any outside noises.
Thank you for this info, did not know DCL would come right to the Hyatt.

mammacaryn
03-02-2012, 07:10 PM
When we have flown down (2 times) we stayed at Hyatt MCO and took the DCL shuttles. Nice hotel within the Airport which also has a mall in it. The kids love going on the people movers and looking at the fountains :) There is also a Disney Store in there too (2 of them actually) which is nice for any last minute disney purchases you may need.

I really like this hotel a lot and it makes for a pretty hassle free night before the cruise.

kcashner
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
HallsofVA said it as well as I could. There are MANY variables here--time of arrival, method of getting to the port the next day, and what is most important to you (cost vs. convenience)

If convenience is most important to you, there's nothing easier than the Hyatt MCO. You don't have to leave the airport; and if you pair this with DCL transfers, your luggage will be removed from your room the next morning and you'll see them on the ship. However, it is pricey. It is cheaper on your own than thru DCL! (at least on our dates). There are ways to reduce the cost--stay certificates, sometimes Hotwire, etc.

You can choose to go to WDW overnight--a room at a value resort is much cheaper than the Hyatt. However, I'd only choose this if I had time to enjoy being at Disney. If I arrived at 10 pm, this one isn't going to happen.

You can stay in a hotel in the MCO area. Several now have packages that include transportation to the port in the morning--the Wyngate offers a stay/breakfast/round trip transportation deal. For 2 on our date it was $210 (just OK), but for 5 it was $270 (that's great). They have a single vehicle departing the hotel at 10:30 am for the port. And like most MCO area hotels, they have a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO

At the cheap end is a Priceline room. We can get a 2.5* for a bid of $29-39, which keeps total expenses under $50. At the 2.5* level, all include a complimentary shuttle and breakfast. Again, good if you are arriving late enough that you don't want to go to Disney, and it keeps all your transportation options open. You can rent a car, shuttle back to MCO for transfers, or have a towncar service pick you up at the hotel. DO NOT go down to a 2.0*. There is a really scuzzy hotel at that level (or at least ther was years ago). At 2.5, they range from decent to quite nice, at 3.0* they are nice but not all include breakfast.

We've done all of these, largely depending on our arrival time!

And that didn't even get into staying near the port~

kiddisney
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
we always come in the night before & stay at the sheraton suites orlando airport - it's reasonable - we get a suite - and we get shuttle service to and from the airport - one problem would be how late you come in - this past year we actually took a cab so that we could get dinner (the dining room closes early) and had sheraton shuttle back to MCO / ME - all the other times we had shuttle service both to and from mco -

Heard02
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
The last 3 times we've cruised out of Port Canaveral, we have driven to Cocoa Beach the day before and stayed at the Hilton. The Hilton has a park and cruise program which allows you to park your car there for free and take a shuttle to port for $5 per person. We like to be able to drive the day before so we can go to grocery store and/or liquor store for water, wine and beer.
It's cheaper for us to rent a car and go that route than pay for Disneys transfer. Plus, we save on beer and wine expense and have the added convenience of being so close the morning we embark. (there's 4 of us)
Everyone has their own little way...this is ours!
Disney Cruise is the best!

DisneyOHFan
03-03-2012, 10:46 AM
We stay at either the Hilton Garden Inn or Embassy Suites by MCO and then head over to the port in the next morning. We really like both and if you keep your eyes open, they have rates as low as $84

mdinowitz
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Place just outside MCO? The rooms are bigger than the Hyatt inside MCO, and with AAA I was able to find a room for $89 that sleeps 5 comfortably with breakfast. I know that it's not going to be as convenient as the Hyatt MCO, but inside the airport we'll have to book 2 more expensive rooms to accomodate all 5 of us. Just curious what experience people have had.....