PDA

View Full Version : Booking a cruise, question regarding kids age...

cseca
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
ok, if we are to book a cruise when DD is turning 3 in the middle of the cruise do I put in age 2 or 3 for booking?

Also, will she be able to use OC without supervision in the beginning of the cruise? Or should we wait until the day she turns 3?

Thanks so much!

HallsofVA
01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
You put her age on the day the cruise starts.

Kids who are near the age of 3, but are fully potty trained, are generally allowed to use the kids club on a trial or conditional basis (conditional on not having any accidents!) However, you won't be able to preregister her for the Oceaneer Club online. You'll need to go to the kids registration area once on board (or in the terminal) and talk to them about letting her in the kids program. If the cruise isn't full of kids, they will generally allow her in. Otherwise, you can always take her in the club and stay and play with her.

Even if she was 3 before the cruise started, the system wouldn't automatically make her eligible for the kids club until you answer a question about whether or not she's potty trained.

The one challenge is the "fully potty trained" part, as the kids club counsellors can't help them at all, so the child needs to be able to wipe and dress/undress themselves to use the bathroom in the club. Many who have concerns about that part try to adjust by taking them to the potty yourself before and after using the club and maybe in the middle if in there for a few hours.

drparoo
01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Just to say, when you finally book, they will ask you for the child's birth date, so her age will be in the system as the age she is when the cruise begins. All other issues can be discussed with the staff when you board.

cseca
01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks so much!
That helps a lot :)

annekevdbroek
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
We did the ebta last year and our son was 3. Because he wasn't fully potty trained (and regressed during the trip) I thought he would have to go to the nursery. However, when we got on board they allowed him to be in the OC full-time (with a pull-up) and just asked that I come check on him to change him, help him use the potty, etc. every couple hours. They would page me as needed too. It worked out much better for him because he was with other preschool age kids, and the nursery seemed to be primarily for babies/young toddlers.

For booking you will use their actual birth date. I wouldn't worry too much about the date of turning 3 and days on board as the whole system was pretty flexible in that regard.

cseca
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks annekevdbroek!
That's very good to hear... I hope she'll be completely potty trained by then but we won't know until then :)