PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done this trip in Rome please?

helenreed
01-14-2011, 06:53 AM
We are sailing on the Magic in July and we are interested in doing the trip to the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica by private train. Has anyone done this trip, was it worth the extortionate cost? The main reason I want to do it is because it is the only trip to the Sistine Chapel. We will be travelling with a 13.11 and 8 year old. I would really appreciate some advice, I plan to do a lot of trips on our own but this one just seems to enormous to organise on my own!:dance3:

castawaycayfans
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
We did not do the private trip, but hopped on the train by ourselves. There was a shuttle bus that took us from the ship to the street at the port. From there, it was about a 10-15 walk to the train station, we just followed the crowds from the ship. The train tickets were about 7-9 euros each, but you could use that same ticket on the Metro in Rome to travel about. We rode the train to the St Peters stop, which was about a block or two from the station and we were there. You can go online before your trip and order tickets to see the Vatican sites and I can't remember the prices. From there, we walked the city and visited Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Colosseum and various sites along the way. We could have taken the Metro, but as in Barcelona, the kids got to experience the city on foot. We ate a small pizza shop along the way, by far one of the cheapest meals at 6 euros a person. It was off the beaten path and we just wandered upon it, something that we would not have been able to do on an excursion. The owner was very friendly and helpful to 2 adults who didn't speak a lick of Italian, but gave it a try. Just let me know if I can help you anymore.

slaclandry
01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
We did not do this tour, but understand booking things on your own. Everything always takes more time than you think it will. For the cost of the tour, why don't you look into having a private tour and guide. They will pick you up right at the port, and drive you into rome. We used driverinrome.com, and were VERY happy with them. You should check out cruisecritic and the italy forums...

mousejunkie98
01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Google "Limo in Rome" or "Rome in Limo." Both are EXCELLENT private tour operators that can do the exact same tour for you for less, and you'll have a private car. We've used both for different tours of Rome and have always been so happy. The drivers are wonderful, knowledgeable, friendly and helpful!

wdwishes1990
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
We did not do the tour, but took the train on our own. We were able to do the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and the Coliseum......it was a BUSY day.

Scoobydoo76
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
We are sailing on the Magic in July and we are interested in doing the trip to the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica by private train. Has anyone done this trip, was it worth the extortionate cost? The main reason I want to do it is because it is the only trip to the Sistine Chapel. We will be travelling with a 13.11 and 8 year old. I would really appreciate some advice, I plan to do a lot of trips on our own but this one just seems to enormous to organise on my own!:dance3:

We too did Rome on our own. :cool1: It was as easy as castawaycayfans suggests. :thumbsup2 We saw all the same site, Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Colosseum and also The Fountain of the Four Rivers, Castel Sant'Angelo, The Forum, The Spanish Steps and Circus Maximus. You can pre-purchase tickets for the Colosseum as well.

Another tip is to start at the Vatican and map a walking tour from there on Google maps. You can definitely walk from the Vatican all the way to Circus Maximus. Near Circus Maximus is a metro stop, Circo Massimo, from there you can catch the metro to S.Pietro. From S.Pietro you can walk to the Roma S. Pietro train station to catch a train back to Civitavecchia and the ship.

Please feel free to private message me. I'll be happy to help you with any questions that you may have.

helenreed
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much to all of you for your help. I had been looking at Limo in Rome but thought we might be safer on a train, I know how crazy Italian Drivers are! Will definately explore it further

xangav
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
We did do the tour "Jumping back into eternal Rome" tour which features the private train in 2007. I think the tour you are talking about "The Best of Rome" does not have a private train. Our tour did not go to the museum or the Sistine chapel.

Our kids were about the same ages as yours. At the time it was very hot and the private train was nice and comfortable and they provided water for us. It was also a very quick trip. It turned out that my daughter had a splitting headache that day and our tour guide took very good care of us. The lunch they took us to was a lot of food and quite good. As I recall, it was some of the best lasagna I have ever had!

That being said, we have done some more traveling since then and I think I would probably do it on our own now. But it was nice to have the head phones and listen to the tour guide. I am not sure we would have seen quite as much on our own as we would have spent considerable time trying to figure out where we were going. It was expensive but we figured Rome was our big splurge and we wanted to see as much as possible.

helenreed
01-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks, that was the conclusion that I was coming too, we have never been to Rome before and it is one place that I want to do properly, it will be our one splurge too! many thanks for the advice